Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are everyone's pics disappearing?

Options
  • 25-10-2005 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

All of the pics stored on the board itself seem to be disappearing, including sig pics....is there some kind of new rule being enforced?
    Doesn't seem to affect the images linked to elsewhere.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

They're working fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I think it's something to do with the recent upgrade.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Completely wrong forum for this. Moved to Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Give us an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

For example, their are 4 little red X's in your post, and Feylya's sig pic is also a red X. I know it's not just me, because Ancient 1 acknowledged its existence. My own sig pic, which is external, shows up for me.
    Whenever I do a 'properties' on a red X, it proves to be something stored at boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Try clearing your cache and reloading the pages. Working fine for me on FireFox. Are you running via a proxy?

Running through a router, haven't had any problems til yesterday.
    Tried clearing the cache, I generally do that constantly anyway, with lots of refreshes. I'm using I.E., maybe its a Microsoft issue.

Aha. http://members.boards.ie/ is borked.

So anyone who has links to images on members.boards.ie (e.g. me, feylya) in their sig, these images will fail to display. It does get a little tricky. I can currently see feylya's sig, but that's because the image is cached on my machine.
    However, if I go directly to http://members.boards.ie/feylya/supersig.jpg, it fails.

You may have noticed images slowly and gradually disappearing, as your machine deleted items in the cache to make way for new ones. A lot of the rest of us wouldn't have even noticed this, because firefox doesn't tell you when a link is broken, it just doesn't display the image.

...and now, for some strange reason, Feylya's sig pic is back...but not your pics. Hmmm. He must have refreshed it or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Oh such a tangled web we weave.

• Advertisement

Cloud wrote:
    Please do name names - I've written a script that ensures that all sigs are no more than 360 wide or 60 high - so if you've spotted a sig, that means that my script isn't working.

My guess is that the script works TOO well....and it's removing all boardsie-based pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Actually I think you guys need to learn about 'gifs'. "Gif" files are a little strange, most users' sigs are made out of "gifs" but there is one distinct problem with them. It is a well known fact that "gifs" degrade over time. A "gif" can last for a good few months on a fair few downloads but after a certain level of "incubus" and "synchrometry" it will inevitably commit to 'downfall', a web developers nightmare (this is how they make so much money!).

The fact that so many users' sigs have been downfalled recently is due to the fact that they have been created around the same period in time. I think that we can safely say that the sig creation thread on the Digital Art/Animation board has a lot to answer for on this subject.

Hope that answers your questions.

Gordon wrote:

Bahhh, tell me something new, willya?

That's why I *always* use jpegs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

any sign of members.boards.ie coming back online?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

any sign of members.boards.ie coming back online?
    Why is this not fixed yet ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

Becuase the admins delay by one day, every time you demand something be fixed.

Would like to say 'what a dick' but won't

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What are you serious? Because you just did.

Bite me. You know where you can go if you're not happy.

Apologies,am having a bad day.

• Advertisement

And I'm sick :(

Me too - tummy bug

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Calling one of the few people on boards who can actually site ban you, a dick is pretty stoopid tbh.

RuggieBear wrote:
    Calling one of the few people on boards who can actually site ban you, a dick is pretty stoopid tbh.
    Ah, I don't use my big banning stick to fight personal battles :)

seamus wrote:
    Ah, I don't use my big banning stick to fight personal battles :)

what a dick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

RuggieBear wrote:
    what a dick :)
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

CrowdedHouse - we're rebuilding a new machine just for members, wiki - the other bits and pieces. Coming soon (!).

Yes, isn't it magnificent?

seamus wrote:
    Yes, isn't it magnificent?

wey hey:D

buddyjesus-41418.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Gordon wrote:
    Actually I think you guys need to learn about 'gifs'. "Gif" files are a little strange, most users' sigs are made out of "gifs" but there is one distinct problem with them. It is a well known fact that "gifs" degrade over time. A "gif" can last for a good few months on a fair few downloads but after a certain level of "incubus" and "synchrometry" it will inevitably commit to 'downfall', a web developers nightmare (this is how they make so much money!).

The fact that so many users' sigs have been downfalled recently is due to the fact that they have been created around the same period in time. I think that we can safely say that the sig creation thread on the Digital Art/Animation board has a lot to answer for on this subject.

:|

Advertisement