Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I cancel with IBB?

• 25-10-2005 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all, I've finally decided to cancel my contract with IBB. I'm a bit worried about doing it after some scary stories I've heard from people having trouble trying to cancel. How exactly do I go about cancelling it without giving them any excuse to keep charging me, do I have to actually write and post to them or can I just ring them and tell them to Feck Off. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Write to youre bank and get them to cancel youre DD to IBB. If you odnt pay youre phone bill they cut you off. If you dont pay the ESB they cut you off. Why should IBB be any different just stop paying them and ya will get a month or 2 free BB out of it while they decide to cut you off. Its the least they owe you for the month of paying for bad BB that you have had. Dont worry about breaking youre contract they have shafted every one else why not do it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

You should write to IBB telling them that you want to discontinue the service. Might not be a bad idea to list your complaints with the service in that letter. If your contract isn't up you in theory should keep paying until the end of the contract. If you have passed the first 12 months then its ok to pull out any time.

You should also write to your bank to stop the DD. Thats the only way to guarantee they wont keep taking cash after you have cancelled.

You should really check the details of your contract. I don't really agree with what spookey_donkey says about not worrying about breaking your contract. You'll find it is much easier for a company to muscle the cash out of you through legal threats than it is for you to muscle a decent service out of them. Plus if you don't do things by the book, i.e. writing complaints, keeping records etc, nobody will be interested in helping you if IBB come after you later for breaking a contract. I'm also not so sure the bank looks favourably on bounced DD payments in terms of credit ratings and the like.

By the by I don't actually know if IBB tends to persue debts strongly. I have heard a few bits and pieces about them wanting to charge €150 to remove the kit. Feck that I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

MicraBoy wrote:
    I have heard a few bits and pieces about them wanting to charge €150 to remove the kit.

I'm going to assume that that's a joke somebody made up!

I've just ordered an alternate BB service, and when it arrives I'll also be canceling IBB. I've been with them over a year, but I haven't located the contract yet to check the cancelation details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

MicraBoy wrote:
    I have heard a few bits and pieces about them wanting to charge €150 to remove the kit.

If you dont return the kit, they will charge u something like E150, maybe that's what you're pointing at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

flodis79 wrote:
    If you dont return the kit, they will charge u something like E150, maybe that's what you're pointing at?

But most of the kit is on my roof where they put it. I'm not taking it down for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

MicraBoy wrote:
    You should really check the details of your contract. I don't really agree with what spookey_donkey says about not worrying about breaking your contract. !

Well I know a few people got their BB canceled before the end of their contract, but I think they went down the road of writing to IBB and letting them know thay they wernt happy with their service. But I doubt they would chase any one down for getting 50 yoyoys worth of extra BB service seeing as they charge you 50 yoyo when you werent even getting that service. It would all look really funny in the small claims court and be more bad press for IBB cuse they are getting a bit now. But their advertsing more than makes up for it.

But i agree with Micra boy when he says read youre contract well before you make any moves. I just dont feel IBB deserver the respect to be treated properlly regarding canceling, when they showed none when delevering service. But they may have their asses well covered in the contract so look to it first.

Advertisement