Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrel Reblueing

Options
  • 25-10-2005 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Got this as a present was brought back from america anyone know anything about these or tried them

(sorry for bad quaility was taken with phone)

241020050012ky.jpg

241020057vy.jpg

I was thinking of doing the action(main part of) of the gun as well
    050920050116po.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

It's a messy potentially hazardous process- some thoroghly nasty chemicals involved.

It seems to work well on some guns, rubbish on the others, probably to do with the type of steel used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

i did it with a mauser I had reasonable result but I dont know if I would do it with a nice hunting rifle.

there are some videos on how to do it

http://www.surplusrifle.com/downloads.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

its for the shotgun not the rifle the gun is in fairly ok condition but the blueing is starting to wear off would just look nice to reblue the whole gun the newer shotguns are done like that and it looks nice

Ok didn't get around to the barrell yet but got the "action" done pretty happy with the result finish looks very good well worth it

heres a few pics again sorry for quaility but phone camera is all i have

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~psittacosis/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What does the blueing actually do? Does it protect the metal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

AFAIK its a type of corrosion, oxidation of the metal, that protects the metal against rusting- but better ask a metallurgist

its just a protection of the metal to keep if from rusting and it looks damn good aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

A really good bluing job ,where you get that blue/black color,is done by a process called hot bluing.Which requires alot of equipment and chemicals,etc,and is best left to a pro.Those DIY bluing kits are fine for some scrapes and dings type repairs.The secret I found with them is keep everything operating theatre CLEAN.The metal work must be absolutely spotless!!Dont use anything in the whole process twice,and also take your time with a big job like a reciver or barrel.dont handle the clean metal without gloves or you can start emery cothing again from the start.They are fine for a "knockabout",but I wouldnt want to do my bespoke Purdey with one.
    also they give off a tell tale smell of a best described as, a metallic sulpher smell.Which gives the game away that it is a home blued gun,and might influence the sell on price,if you are selling it.

And yes ,it is a chemical process of controlled rusting.On old guns they have brown barrels.Bluing was only discoverd ASFIK about 100 years ago.The modern day method is either anodising or parkerising.

yea well its not ideal but it looks good i must say and the gun certainly isnt gonna be sold i like it to much does everything i want never misses a shot and was my fathers as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

One of the keys to keep diy bluing in good condition is to keep it lightly oiled all the time, surface rust develops very quickly on it otherwise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement