Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone ever knocked off a car wing mirror whilst filtering??

• 25-10-2005 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Did it by accident today on the N4. Was a real **** old car ('91 Mitsu Colt) so your man said he didnt want any money for it. He was actually sound about it. He said its happened to him twice before and the biker's just drove off, so he was actually glad that I stopped!!

So if you ever have knocked one off, did you stop or keep driving?? I think if it was a BMW or Merc I would have been tempted to drive off because they'd cost a fortune to replace!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never knocked one off. When I had just started biking, I clipped one with my handlebar, and knocked it out of place. I didn't stop, just gave a quick "sorry" wave and kept going.

Since I got the Varadero, I've occasionally knocked my own wing mirrors off van/truck mirrors. They're at about the same height as my shoulders, and marginally wider, so I get it wrong sometimes. Luckily, it's only my own mirror that gets knocked out of alignment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

my first year biking, i hit a reps car and knocked the mirror off, he didnt give a crap as he was getting let go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Used to tip them regularly when I started off. I usually either stopped or just waved and drove on depending on how irate the driver looked. (The more irate, the less likely I was to stop! :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

I've lost count of the number I've hit, only one ever actually broke though. Left handguard just clipped it and, as I was tearing off down the street, I heard a little crash-tinkle behind me. He was only a bollox for trying to stop me filtering anyway. :p
    Most OTT reaction goes to a woman whose Hyundai Santa Fe had its left wing mirror rubbed by my right handguard. Very low speed filtering up by Christchurch, and I actually ended up being forced to stop just past the wing mirror anyway. She was leaning on the horn, bouncing up and down in the front seat (hmm....where's this going, one wonders), and shouting her head off. And for what?! There wasn't even the slightest scuff mark on the mirror housing. Three letters: PMT. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

Knocked a bumper of a few years back, it was just the same height as my boot, she was about to turn right but wasnt indicating so when I pulled over she said nothing, anyway after about half an hour trying we managed to get the bumper to just about hang on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

First day out on the bandit, a lot wider than my last bike (my shoulders used to be the widest part of me and I'm not a stocky bloke). Folder somebodys mirror out, stopped, folded it back for them, had a look it was okay.

Next one was a bunch of eastern european lads, obliterated the fecking thing. Hit it with the front brake lever, brake was pushed back to the bar pinning knuckles (luckily across the hard plastic bits of the gloves. Didn't want to hold up traffic, the lights just went green so I waved for the lads to follow me and milled off up the road pulling in a first space big enough for both of us.

"Eh.. How much you think that cost."

Piece of **** car. Thirty quid could do it.

"I dunno," take out wallet, sixty euros. "Will this do it."

"Yes. Yes. Thank You." he takes the money puts it back in pocket. "We're on our way to ferry. This wil buy four mirrors when we get home."

Then the other one laughs about him not using his mirrors and it'll be spent on pints on the ferry.

I laugh and rush off to my job interview. Do quite well, come out and ride off with the disk lock on...

Destroy my front brake disk. With no money for a van I'm forced to ride it across town to the garage.

Taking a corner the front locks up and the bike slides, I stand it up and split between two cars. Cracking the plastic surround on a transit van mirror with my shoulder.

Van has a couple of dirt bikes in the back and mirror was already broken (no glass). Score. =]

And I've never hit a mirror again. Do you remember that thread a ouple of months back about the mirror being broken on the M50. Caused fuppin war in motors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jesus saobh, everything turns to **** at once for you doesn't it? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Sounds like an episode of Mr Bean!!

I hit two accidentally when i had my TDR, which had wide high mirrors like the Varadero. In both cases i stopped and apologised and no further action was taken. It can frighten the crap out of drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I tuck my left mirror in if i'm doing a lot of filtering up the outside, if i'm going up between 2 lanes of traffic i just sway from side to side to avoid hitting wing mirrors.
    I've never hit one onthe SV as far as i can remember, and the bandits mirrors were up on stalks that put them just above most cars and just under most vans mirrors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Yeah... the echo sway works wonders, so long as you don't need to stop suddenly because you are off balance doing it. I do it only through the tight gaps.

It gets you through small gaps and makes bigger gaps up ahead as everybody sees this wobbly lunatic heading for thier paintwork in thier mirrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

In my early biking days I brushed off a wing mirror ( didnt even move it )while filtering thru to the front . hardly felt it my self in fact iwas going that slow I heard my jacket brush and thats why I noticed it , however the lights went green and i moved of , within minutes a jeep passes me and jams on leaving me to skid to a halt . its the one I brushed off and she wants to give me a piece of her mind . You know theres never a Gaurd around when you want one well there was this time and they saw the whole thing .Jeep got done for wreckless driving and I went home with a big grin:D :D

Advertisement