Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup 3rd round - thrills and spills.

• 25-10-2005 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Aston Villa v Burnley
    Blackburn v Leeds
    Crystal Palace v Liverpool
    Doncaster v Gillingham
    Fulham v West Brom
    Mansfield v Millwall
    Reading v Sheff Utd
    Wigan v Watford
    Birmingham v Norwich
    Bolton v West Ham
    Cardiff v Leicester
    Chelsea v Charlton
    Everton v Middlesbrough
    Grimsby v Newcastle
    Man Utd v Barnet

Clearly a few possible upsets on the cards - one screams "ha, ha!" but I won't say which. *cough* Palace/'pool *cough*

Will Maureen play for a win so he can get the trophy quartet he kept banging on about last season?.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Morrison seems rather confident that Palace will upset Liverpool, he is their bogeyman afterall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Latest scores:
    Aston Villa 1-0 Burnley
    HT Blackburn 0-0 Leeds United
    Crystal Palace 1-1 Liverpool
    Doncaster 0-0 Gillingham
    Fulham 0-1 West Brom
    Mansfield 0-1 Millwall
    HT Reading 0-0 Sheffield United
    HT Sunderland 0-0 Arsenal

Gerrard got a great goal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

2-0 to Arsenal at the moment, Eboue with a 25 yard rocket apparently and a Van Persie penalty (taken to a chorus of Arsenal fans chanting "shoot" :))

Van Persie again, 3-0.

Check out Eboue and Inamoto's goals. Sensational! Michael Hughes was on top form for Palace tonight, two brilliant assists.

Don't think you'll see a better goal this season than Inamoto's. An absolute rocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

\o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The first time I've watched 90 minutes of Liverpool all season I think. I promised I wouldn't mention him again but Gerrard >>> Lampard. :) He has everything Lampard has plus he has more determination, an awful lot more aggression and can tackle. Roy Keane wouldn't be half the player without those attributes.

Michael Hughes was excellent for an aul' man. Palace are too good for the Championship. They're doing really well even without Andy Johnson.

Alan Quinn's younger brother, Stephen, started for Sheffield United tonight.

Rafa was majorly pissed off in the Sky post-match interview, probably with the interviewer though. He was definitely looking for a scoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa had the look of man who knows he's up against the clock and does'nt know what to do to change things...

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Rafa had the look of man who knows he's up against the clock and does'nt know what to do to change things...

Mike.

He'll probably just go and do something like win the CL! Again...

2-0 Wigan now.

Another penalty for Arsenal tonight. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

much as i hate seeing us lose, liverpool are better off out of the carling cup, and a quick exit from the fa cup like last year too. we don't have the squad to play in the champions league and do anything in the premiership. still short too many players. rafa looked like he was fit to kill someone tho :)

How many times did Benitez say they worked hard/were looking to the next game? Even when the answer had no relevance to the question. He'll need to reverse the current slide fairly sharpish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

too right. I hope he does lash them out of it again.These guys get payed loads of money for crap preformances like this.

At least our CL form is ok, we should quailify from the group.

Ask any Liverpool fan which do they want - another CL or a convincing Prem campaign and 100% will say the latter. The scary thing is that winning in Europe does'nt matter now. We've done that one.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i agree i couldn't give a toss about the european cup we need to just be playing well every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

the whole aim of doing well in the leage and to get into europe and the CL. So liverpool are stumped. Its like liverpool players aint interested in the league yet we play well in europe.

The other thing that is getting on my nerves is..."A shock in the carling Cup as Palace knock out Liverpool" Pah! Its no shock/suprise any more.

Results -

Sunderland 0-3 Arsenal

Aston Villa 1-0 Burnley

Blackburn 3-0 Leeds

Crystal Palace 2-1 Liverpool

Doncaster 2-0 Gillingham

Fulham 2-3 West Brom (aet)

Mansfield 2-3 Millwall

Reading 2-0 Sheff Utd

Wigan 3-0 Watford (aet)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Lads, does anybody have any links to these goals, or does anybody have a clip of the Eboue goal. Also is there coverage been shown tonight?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

mike65 wrote:
    Blackburn 3-0 Leeds

Absolute disaster. But just to show you how little the Carling cup is rated that even Leeds put out a second string side. We rested a lot of our first team players. By the way that Robbie Savage really gets on my nerves.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Palace are too good for the Championship. They're doing really well even without Andy Johnson.

Currently 5th in the league and were actually struggling when Johnson was in the side but have improved with him out. How you can ay they are too good is beyond me considering they are so far behind the top two already. Leeds are currently 4th 2 points ahead of Palace. That should mean we are too good for the championship too so ill late you away with that comment eirebhoy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Kingp35 wrote:
    Absolute disaster. But just to show you how little the Carling cup is rated that even Leeds put out a second string side. We rested a lot of our first team players. By the way that Robbie Savage really gets on my nerves.

Well he must have got on Einarsson's nerves too cause he tried to take him out. Dreadful tackle!

On a positive note, Rovers are ticking along nicely at the moment, and i reckon we'll give chelsea a real examination at the weekend!

X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Roddy23 wrote:
    Lads, does anybody have any links to these goals, or does anybody have a clip of the Eboue goal. Also is there coverage been shown tonight?
    Highlights (of yesterday and tonights action) on UTV at 11pm.
    Just on for an hour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Well he must have got on Einarsson's nerves too cause he tried to take him out. Dreadful tackle!

Your right it wasnt the best tackle in the world and thats why he got a straight red card for it. Einarsson has really struggled since joining us ans this will only make things worse. By the way Savage gestured to the leeds fans at the end of the match which Kevin Blackwell did not particularily like. It seems to me that Savage just loves to annoy as many people as possible

http://www.givemefootball.com/news.html?newsID=08021&type=domestic

Kingp35 wrote:

Currently 5th in the league and were actually struggling when Johnson was in the side but have improved with him out. How you can ay they are too good is beyond me considering they are so far behind the top two already. Leeds are currently 4th 2 points ahead of Palace. That should mean we are too good for the championship too so ill late you away with that comment eirebhoy :D
    They took their time getting going at the start of the season but should have beaten QPR at least 5-1 and have been playing well whenever I've seen them.

http://media.putfile.com/Ars-V-Sun

BTW - 17 year old Darron Gibson is tipped to start for Man U tonight. Hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

On a positive note, Rovers are ticking along nicely at the moment, and i reckon we'll give chelsea a real examination at the weekend!

X

Good win for Rovers. Bellamy looked good when he came on again. Hopefully he'll be fit to start against Chelsea at the weekend. He's a vital player for us at the moment.

Cheers Eirebhoy, that goal by Eboue was a rocket..

Roddy23 wrote:
    Cheers Eirebhoy, that goal by Eboue was a rocket..

Check out Inamoto's on the highlights show mentioned above so!

will do

Wayne Bridge starts for Chelsea.

Man Utd team:

Howard
    Bardsley Brown Pique Eckersley
    Miller Smith Richardson Martin
    Rossi Blake

I see Liam Miller is after scoring for Utd.
    Barnet had their keeper sent of, outfield player in goal now, and then Miller stepped up and scored from the free kick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Roddy23 wrote:
    I see Liam Miller is after scoring for Utd.
    Barnet had their keeper sent of, outfield player in goal now, and then Miller stepped up and scored from the free kick.

the sub keeper came on. An outfield player was taken off to make way for him

2-0 Utd

Richardson direct from another free kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

are you watching this?

is the chelsea charton games on anywhere?

Everton 0 Boro 1
    Chelsea 1 Charlton 1
    Birmingham 1 Norwich 1
    Cardiff 0 Leicster 1
    Man Utd 2 Barnet 0

All the rest 0-0 I think

Charlton knock out Chelsea on Penos 5-4! Ah well the Quartet will have to wait until next year.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

mike65 wrote:
    Charlton knock out Chelsea on Penos 5-4! Ah well the Quartet will have to wait until next year.

Mike.
    Brilliant news!!
    Well done Charlton!
    Cant wait to see the highlights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

United shouldn't make any changes for saturday's game with 'Boro:) Looking forward to seeing the goals, particularly Ebankes-Blake who I haven't seen much of.
    I wonder how the referee was at fault for this Chelsea defeat:rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing the goals, particularly Ebankes-Blake who I haven't seen much of.
    I think Miller played a big part in that goal. Ferguson was giving Miller a few sub appearances before this game and playing well in front of 50,000 will do his confidence the world of good. A start against Boro on Saturday is not out of the question. Forget his goal, what I'm most happy to see is this quote on a Man U forum:

"Liam Miller BOOKED for holding a barnet player by the throat!!!!!!! IDIOT!!!"

All he's missing at United is aggression. Fair play boy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

chelsea v charlton was a great game ( except for the result) , charlton were really up for it, holland played his socks off and wasn't bad at all. Missed the highlights to see if Terry got a goal or a red card for a challenge on the keeper. fair play to charlton though , they defended well, the were constantly pushing chelsea up the pitch, well thought out tactics , well implemeted. Chelsea couldn't fiind a way through, Crespo was fairly ineffectual but drogba was much better when he came on, but every time chelsea won the ball in the danger areas they were lost it / were well tackled.

anyway , more time to concentrate on retaining the premiership title and getting that champions league trophy to where it belongs :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

eirebhoy wrote:
    I think Miller played a big part in that goal. Ferguson was giving Miller a few sub appearances before this game and playing well in front of 50,000 will do his confidence the world of good. A start against Boro on Saturday is not out of the question. Forget his goal, what I'm most happy to see is this quote on a Man U forum:

"Liam Miller BOOKED for holding a barnet player by the throat!!!!!!! IDIOT!!!"

All he's missing at United is aggression. Fair play boy! :)

Millaer apparently was one of the worst Utd players. Don't think he is going to cut it there THB.

TheMonster wrote:
    Millaer apparently was one of the worst Utd players. Don't think he is going to cut it there THB.
    He is currently 3rd in the man of the match voted on Man Utds website. Considering most fans will be biased towards the likes of Rossi it doesn't seem he played bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

MIller didn't play badly, but he didn't play great.
    He has more experience than the rest of the squad, but Ritchie Jones preformed better than him on the night. I expected Miller to take control of this game and make it his, but alas. None the less, his preformances in the reserves are beginning to earn him a call up. I like Fergie might give him one last chance against Boro this weekend

I dont think Miller has the ability to be a Man Utd player. There is far too much pressure on somebody to perform at a constant high level and once Miller lost his confidence he was always going to go downhill. Glad to see him doing ok again though and if he does get another chance he simply has to take it although I think the best thing he could do would be to move on to another club where he could get regullar football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

a wretched performance against exeter this seaon in the 0-0 draw didnt help him, he aint played much since then..hopefully he will get a few run outs and god knows, ireland needs him now. he looked class at celtic, no reason why he cant make it, maybe a club like villa/everton/bolton would suit him better for a while

At Celtic Miller was partering Lennon so had a lot of freedom. Ferguson seems to want him to play the holding role. He's better when he's all over the pitch.

Advertisement