Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB, not good choice?

• 25-10-2005 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

I was planning to switch from Eircom BB to IBB, but im doubtful now after checking some threads in the forum talking about downtimes and all types of errors with IBB. So should I stay with Eircom even they're expensive?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

flodis79 wrote:
    I was planning to switch from Eircom BB to IBB, but im doubtful now after checking some threads in the forum talking about downtimes and all types of errors with IBB. So should I stay with Eircom even they're expensive?

Yes, definitely.

However there are other options worth checking out, in order of preference:

1) NTL Cable BB (1m €25, 2m €35, 3m €45)
    2) Smart BB (2m including line rental = €35)
    3) Digiweb Metro wireless BB (3m/512k + free line rental = €42)
    4) BT Ireland (1m BB + Line rental = €40 or €50 for 2m) this wil work anywhere Eircom will work.

Other honourable mention goes to Clearwire wireless BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

IBB gets a possibly overzealous slating on this forum. There's no harm in trying IBB - they have a 7-day cooling off period, so if it doesn't work for you, you can simply get them to take their equipment back and you lose nothing. Becuase its wireless, the problems all tend to be obvious from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

IBB ughh, wireless broadband hmm not too sure about it anymore it is always good during the cool-of period. DSL on the otherhand may be your best choice but stick with known-good providers as mentioned on the other threads. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Don't go near IBB with a bargepole if you have DSL already. The system is overloaded and their employees and management couldn't give a toss. Take it from me, you don't want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭beyondrapid

just cancelled my IBB account today. customer support is a joke - you rarely get through to anyone, even today my call just got dropped after waiting for about 5 minutes. call the sales line and you get straight through. signed up for eircom, because ntl, bt, smart are not available in my area. what a great little country this is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

They do not have a 7-day cooling off period in any real sense. You have 7 days from signup to cancel. It's not 7 days from install. I can't find their T&C's on their site to confirm, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. It's a statutory requirement I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

IBB gets a possibly overzealous slating on this forum. There's no harm in trying IBB - they have a 7-day cooling off period, so if it doesn't work for you, you can simply get them to take their equipment back and you lose nothing. Becuase its wireless, the problems all tend to be obvious from the start.

Even if they did have this cooling off servive it wouldent matter as they give every one a smooth ride for the first two months before it goes by bye. Its often refered to on these forums as IBB`s honneymoom period. Please dont sign up with them cause you will only make it worse for the rest of us. The more new punters they get the worse it gets for the rest of us though it cant get any worse than this. My borther is signing up with them this friday and I told him he is mad but he has no choice where he is moving to. He knows what he`s getting him self into though and is prepared to pull the plug at the first sign of a problem with them. He told the sales team that he was reading on boards.ie about how bad they were and he was pulling his DD at the first sign of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Even if they did have this cooling off servive it wouldent matter as they give every one a smooth ride for the first two months before it goes by bye.

Sorry but that's simply not true. I was getting perfect connection all day, everyday for 18 months before the recent problems kicked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

At the very least, don't bother getting a connection until at least after christmas... From their own mouths they say they're oversubscribed and connections are far from "optimal". This was already posted a few times in other threads but heres a copy from my inbox:
    Due to our rapid growth in the last three months, our customer base has
    doubled. Because of this our requirements have rapidly outpaced our
    backhaul capacity. We are in the process of upgrading the Backhaul. The
    planning and licensing has been completed and we have now scheduled this
    upgrade for approx six weeks time. In the mean time we are doing our
    utmost to optimise the performance on our network. It is however likely
    that you will experience some degradation in your service level until
    this upgrade work is complete. We really appreciate your patience on
    this the matter and would like to assure you that we are doing
    everything in our power to restore your service to optimal performance
    levels. We will keep you updated on a weekly basis (every Thursday) with
    regard to the work schedule and will notify you of any changes to our
    schedule.

In other words, they oversubscribed, left their upgrading til far too late and are now desperately patching the holes until they can throw more bandwidth at us. Don't even try subscribing to IBB until that happens, unless you like packetloss and sub 512k speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭arcane99

At the very least, don't bother getting a connection until at least after christmas... from their own mouths (already posted a few times in other threads, this is copied from my own inbox...):

Where did that statement come from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

hmm... christmas aye they told me it would be fixed in bout 2 weeks the best part of 3 weeks ago.....LIES!!!!
    i tought id stick it out and c if they miraciously fix it but it aint lookin likely tbh:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

arcane99 wrote:
    At the very least, don't bother getting a connection until at least after christmas... from their own mouths (already posted a few times in other threads, this is copied from my own inbox...):

Where did that statement come from?
    I might have been slightly unclear. I meant that from their own mouths they said they are oversubscribed, and don't have nearly enough bandwidth. Therefore if you DO get connected you are going to have a ****e connection. Then i said (from my own opinion) if you're going to go with IBB, don't get connected til after christmas. I'll edit my above post for clarity.

I'd say they are talking through their hole about backhaul.

This problem started on a Thursday night 4 weeks now and the problem hasnt varied in speed since that night. Speed has stuck at 22 - 80kbps since then, except for the 890kbps last night. I doubt they threw a ton of new users onto their network that night and hoped for the best.

I smell porkys.

Sorry, I meant this quote.

Due to our rapid growth in the last three months, our customer base has
    doubled. Because of this our requirements have rapidly outpaced our
    backhaul capacity. Blah, Blah, Blah...

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Red Alert wrote:
    Don't go near IBB with a bargepole if you have DSL already. The system is overloaded and their employees and management couldn't give a toss. Take it from me, you don't want it.

My thoughts exactly

pete wrote:
    Sorry but that's simply not true. I was getting perfect connection all day, everyday for 18 months before the recent problems kicked in.

Well then lucky you then, if I had been in that situation i`d be singing IBB`s praises too. Im 10 months and had 3 major problems that took 2-3 months to sort. Well sorry the third one is the current one and thats been a problem for over 3 weeks now. If they fix it soon then i`ll just call it a month for that one.

At the very least, don't bother getting a connection until at least after christmas... From their own mouths they say they're oversubscribed and connections are far from "optimal". This was already posted a few times in other threads but heres a copy from my inbox:

Funny that. This time last year I signed up and they told me it would be 2 months before they had the capity to take me on. So I waited 6 weeks and then then let me know I could get it in just before Christmas. Sounds like history is repeating itself on the D15 end.

Advertisement