Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with: NT, 2K and my Ipaq PDA!!

• 19-09-2001 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

K,

I got my Ipaq H3630 up and running on my Win98SE system without much fuss. But I cannot for the life of my establish a connection on a NT or Win2k machine. Anytime I use the Active Sync 3.1 software to connect, it just won't see the device. I have tried both COM ports at the back of the machine and nothing. I have been to every web site on the net (spent hours reading around), and as far as they are concerned, there shouldn't be a problem. In college I am constantly logged in as Admin (they trust me, lol :) ). So it's not a security issue. I even went to make sure both devices were transfering at the same baud rate etc. I even tried dropping the baud rate and still nothing.

I then tried the same thing on a Win2k machine and it was exactly the same. I know the serial interface is slow, but everyone is telling me to avoid the USB (I would have to order it anyway), because they had problems with it.

The cradle comes with a serial interface by default (and not USB). That is not a problem, because NT in college does not support USB anyway.

Since I am using Active Sync 3.1, I went to see if there was a newer version, and there was. 3.5 was just released and I downloaded it. It went to install and the installation routine crashed etc etc. (what's new with these M$ muppets, eh?).

But anway if anyone has one connected to a NT or 2K machine please reply, coz this is seriously wrecking me head :(

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I have one on the desk here now, connected to a machine running Win2k using an USB cable. Also have Activesync 3.5 installed an no problems whatsover....
    I can really recommend the USB cable BTW...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

I had the exact same problem here in work.
    The only way I found it could work was to log back on as the user and then run the active sync software.

For some reason it couldn't sync when logged on as admin. Even though it was saying that both COM ports were available and the Ipaq was displaying the connecting window. It just wouldn't work.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I had the same problem myself using Win2K. Leaving the IPAQ docked and rebooting seemed to sort it out after the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Don't know about the Admin thing. As my log in in work is part of the Admin Group. Ah well, just reboot and leave it to autodectect should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

There apparently is a bug in Active Sync 3.1 that makes a first time serial connection to NT or 2K impossible. The fix forces the software to look for the device on COM1.

It's available here
    http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handhelds/us/download/10469.html
    PS: I had to ftp in to that directory coz accessing it from the web site didn't work.

But yeah I would assume the USB connection would be a better option. But since I am only transferring small files and documents, I don't need massive bandwidth.

Cheers lads,

;-phobos-) :)

Advertisement