Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best books by wilde

Options
  • 25-10-2005 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

Wilde's works are available for free at project gutenburg. I read The picture of Dorian Gray and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It does not feel like an old book at all.
    What other books of his would you recommend? How readable are the plays? The idea of reading plays does not appeal to me all that much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I've only read A Picture of Dorian Gray and The Importance of Being Ernest myself. I'd read The Importance of Being Earnest if I were you. It's a cracking read, very witty. I don't like reading plays myself but I make this an exception.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'd read The Importance of Being Earnest if I were you. .

yup
    I would also recommend this as your next read, fantastic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK, I'll be honest, I've only watched "The Importance of Being Earnest", but it did have me in tears, extremely funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 GumDropButtons

There's a collection of his plays in Greene's for three euro. Bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭parker larkin

Dorien Grey is his only novel as far as I know
    but all his plays are an enjoyable read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

There's a collection of his plays in Greene's for three euro. Bargain!

Where is Greene's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

ronano wrote:
    Where is Greene's ?

Walk down Grafton St. from Stephens Green and turn right onto Nassau St. Walk all the way down Nassau St. until you get to the end of it. Greene's is just along there, you won't miss it as it has stalls of books outside and a big sign saying "Greene's" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

The Importance of Being Earnest is hilarious,however it's style of wit isnt suited to everyone , i must start on the portrait of dorian gray.
    interestingly the importance of being earnest is on the 2007 leaving certificate course, and since my teacher isnt doing it in class, i had an extra book before i started the course, w00t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

afaik, he only wrote one book (directed at adults anyway) and that was the picture of dorian gray. the rest of his creative writings are poems and plays. the plays were probably funny in the 1890's, but leave me cold. comedies of manners are tedious imo. some of the peoms are ok. ballad of reading gaol is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

He also wrote a few short stories methinks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement