Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gear change 1st-2nd jumpy.

Options
  • 25-10-2005 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I'm finding it hard to do a smooth gear change from 1st to 2nd without the car juddering a little. Its fine going into 3rd-4th -5th, but 1st-2nd is really wobbly.

The only time it doesnt seem to do this is if i let the clutch out comparitivly slowly than from say 3-4 etc.
    However this leaves me pulling away from the lights like a granny.

I recently finished a course of driving lessons and in the instructors car this never ever happend, but then again it was a different car with much much looser acceleration, so cant help feeling its acceleration or something thats causing the shaking on gear change.

Any experienced drivers with pointers here on smooth acceleration away from the lights on a small 1.2L car ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

what make and model is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

To be honest the clutch may need a bit of adjusting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

Plenty of acceleration and ease out the clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

If its not you then the mounts on the gear box may need sorting.
    Your idle may be to low.Or your instructors cars a diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

damnit, i had an answer written out but i screwed up and lost the reply.

i'm not going to write all out again, but the short version is you're probably not changing at the correct rpms.

the change from 1st to 2nd is geared slightly differently to the those when changing from 2nd to 3rd to 4th and 5th, so the rpms will be slightly different when changing from 1st to 2nd. what that rpm should be will depend on the car, engine and gearbox.

experiment with changing at different rpms and see how that works out for you.
    hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think I found the change from 1st to 2nd jumpy when I was starting too. Just rev it enough to meet the new speed of the gear and you'll be fine:)

Hows the car going by the way? Maybe it wouldn't have happened in my Micra;) hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks everyone! , I'll practice changing at higher revs and see what happens.
    Its going great thanks cormie ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Maybe get someone with a few years experience of driving to drive it and see if they have the same problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭carrollf

I've been driving for many years and this still happened to me on a manual 330Ci I test drove recently. Generally you need to try to match the engine and wheel speed to get a smooth transition. Often when gearing down, you will need to give the engine a quick rev to get it up to speed with the wheels. The same applies when going from 1st to 2nd.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Could be the ERG valve needs cleaning out or replacing, get it checked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I'd have a look for a worn or torn engine and/or gearbox mount.
    Also check the engine and gearbox are bolted togher firmly.

Advertisement