Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood flooring

Options
  • 25-10-2005 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭

(Sorry if this type of question has been asked but the search facility is down).

I have bought laminate flooring for the 3 bedroom's upstair's in B&Q. Cheap and cheerful and look's good. However, I want to use solid flooring in the sitting room and the hallway. I have heard so many theroies/suggestion's that I'm baffled.

A mate who supplies wooden flooring has given me a good quote which i will fit myself compared to supplied and fitted by other companies. My mate say's that the moisture level on the concret floor should be 2% before the floor goes down and NOT have the wood aclimateise before hand ( will lead to warping in the long term as the wood absorb's the moisture in the room and then will dry out). He suggest's that it could be March/April next year before the required level is reached.

Does this go against what other's have done/heard/been told or is it worth the wait?

Comment's/suggestion's welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

My mate say's that the moisture level on the concret floor should be 2% before the floor goes down and NOT have the wood aclimateise before hand ( will lead to warping in the long term as the wood absorb's the moisture in the room and then will dry out). He suggest's that it could be March/April next year before the required level is reached.
    What width boards are you going using? If it's a narrow boards the warping will be minimal basically no matter what happens, bar a lot of water getting at it. Also is this a floating floor or being glued or nailed down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

I would save the money and go for laminate downstairs as well. If you wife is anything like mine then she will want to change it within a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

(Sorry if this type of question has been asked but the search facility is down).

I have bought laminate flooring for the 3 bedroom's upstair's in B&Q. Cheap and cheerful and look's good. However, I want to use solid flooring in the sitting room and the hallway. I have heard so many theroies/suggestion's that I'm baffled.

A mate who supplies wooden flooring has given me a good quote which i will fit myself compared to supplied and fitted by other companies. My mate say's that the moisture level on the concret floor should be 2% before the floor goes down and NOT have the wood aclimateise before hand ( will lead to warping in the long term as the wood absorb's the moisture in the room and then will dry out). He suggest's that it could be March/April next year before the required level is reached.

Does this go against what other's have done/heard/been told or is it worth the wait?

Comment's/suggestion's welcome.

as far as I know you can lay semi-solid on a floor thats not fully dry.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

dogg_r_69 wrote:
    What width boards are you going using? If it's a narrow boards the warping will be minimal basically no matter what happens, bar a lot of water getting at it. Also is this a floating floor or being glued or nailed down?

I was hoping to glue the flooring down onto the concret base. I don't know what width yet, but the lenght's come in long pack's of about 10 per pack.

Advertisement