Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nokia 6680

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

its a fantastic phone. only drawbacks are no radio and can only be unlocked by the operators. no code or cable. you can get an fm tuner for it if you really want a radio.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Nokia-6630-6680-3230-9500-HS-2R-Radio-Headset_W0QQitemZ5815783599QQcategoryZ42409QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Cheers

Nokia website says it's got "Personal Information Management (PIM)"
    Advanced Series 60 PIM features including calendar, contacts, to-do list, and PIM printing. Do you know if this is compatible and snychronises well with Outlook etc ?

How is the MP3 player ? seems to be restricted to .mp3 only not.wma etc

Spin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ferryman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭techie_2006

Spinnaker you sould get the N70 ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Been using a 6680 on the three Network since August. Highly recommended. There is a 3rd party WMA player available I believe.
    Get a 512 Mobile MMC card (dual voltage type) on komplett for about €45+ship;
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=311558&cks=PRL

Another program I highly recommend is Geominder (works on any Symbian S60 phone..check it out its a lifesaver):
    http://ludimate.com/products/geominder/

A couple of other apps that are recommended are:
    Repligo, Isilo VBoy, SonicBoy, Frozen Bubble, & Profimail if you use email a lot..
    There is a good review site here: a bit old but lists some good freeware for the phone:
    http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008503.html

Hope this helps... Theres millions of apps out there for the 6680 / 6630

Best,
    Q.

• Advertisement

Thanks all

Purchased 6680 today (on pay monthly upgrade for euro120). This was after reading about PIM and all the apps. Juicing up the virgin battery at the moment.

N70 does look sweet but 6680 features and spec satisfy of the 6680 satisfy me for now at that price. Also N70 not yet available at Vodafone

Cheers
    Spin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I heard you can get a programme to make the phone work with the "push to talk" feature some other Nokias have!
    Anyone hear anything about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Mr Moon - "Push to talk" is a network feature which no network in europe, to my knowledge, supports.

That said, there are one or two applications for Series 60 phones that do something similar - ie. they send sound clips between Series 60 based mobile phones thus emulating push to talk or a walkie talkie :)

Also, sound clips can be attached to an MMS, again achieving the same effect. The problem, though, is the cost - it's probably cheaper to call or send a text message to the person! ;)

- Neil

quintron wrote:
    Been using a 6680 on the three Network since August. Highly recommended. There is a 3rd party WMA player available I believe.
    Get a 512 Mobile MMC card (dual voltage type) on komplett for about €45+ship;
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=311558&cks=PRL

Another program I highly recommend is Geominder (works on any Symbian S60 phone..check it out its a lifesaver):
    http://ludimate.com/products/geominder/

A couple of other apps that are recommended are:
    Repligo, Isilo VBoy, SonicBoy, Frozen Bubble, & Profimail if you use email a lot..
    There is a good review site here: a bit old but lists some good freeware for the phone:
    http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008503.html

Hope this helps... Theres millions of apps out there for the 6680 / 6630

Best,
    Q.

Quintron,

Bought the phone, bought the 512mB card, put on FE Explorer etc

How did you copy the system folder (apps etc) off the original 64MB card onto the 512MB card. I can't see the sys folder in any a Windows Browser (all files unhidden) for xample. I've tried various ways but obviously no the right one.

?

Spin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In windows explorer type manually into the address bar

E:/system or whatever.

That will do it.

Also, sorry to ask this on a public thread, but I can't get to PM's, my internet is totally messed up, did you get your phone back yet spinaker....? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

I bought this phone (Nokia 6680), waiting on it to be delivered and have a few questions:
    Can you use ANY MMC card with the Nokia 6680, as long as its dual voltage? Is 512mb the max the phone can take, or will the 1GB work too? What about the Reduced Size (RS) MMC cards? Will they work too as long as they have the RS-MMC -> MMC adapter to make them physically fit?

And ive read that there is GPS software with this phone as standard. You just put in an address and it tells you how to get there (can even voice the directions out loud) just like a GPS system for a car, but the review that mentioned this was in England. So does anyone know if this works for ireland too? Do you need to download an irish version of the software maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Point to note although the 6680 is a great phone which I have the vodafone firmware is very buggy so I got mine upgraded to

V 4.04.07
    22-08-05
    RM-36

This is the most recent Sim-Free Firmware and removes all voda branding etc.

I use mine with Outlook 2003 and Sync with all my contacts etc and tis great.

Battery is great up to 4 days without charging and use Route 66 GPS Software with it aswell.

As for the "N" Series I will wait and few months for them to settle down before I make a move and prices have decreased hopefully I can get one on my next O2 Upgrade. (I Assume these are BB5 Locked Phones aswell /)

Is it easy to upgrade the firmware? What exactly is involved? Links?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can't use any mmc with the 6800. It has to to be a rs-mmc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Shigsy wrote:
    Is it easy to upgrade the firmware? What exactly is involved? Links?
    Thanks.
    You need a special cable I believe. The Nokia Centre on Dawson St. will update your firmware for free.

Slurms wrote:
    You need a special cable I believe. The Nokia Centre on Dawson St. will update your firmware for free.

They won't upgrade it with the debranded firmware and generally will flash your phone with the same firmware, as I went in with the phone and they said yeah we'll flash it came back and had the same crappy firmware on it.

if you want the orginal sim free firmware go elsehwere

You can't use any mmc with the 6800. It has to to be a rs-mmc...

I dont have a 6800, ive a 6680. Unless of course that was a typo, and u meant 6680 :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Is it possible to check hotmail e-mails and gmail e-mails on this phone?

BrynW wrote:
    Is it possible to check hotmail e-mails and gmail e-mails on this phone?

I can get my indigo and gmail accounts on the phone but never tried hotmail:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=317112

Anyone able to answer my questions for me?

- Can you use ANY MMC card with the Nokia 6680, as long as its dual voltage?

- Is 512mb the max the phone can take, or will the 1GB work too?

- What about the Reduced Size (RS) MMC cards? Will they work too as long as they have the RS-MMC -> MMC adapter to make them physically fit?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

1.) Any DV-RS MMC Card can be used. (But remember it has to be Dual Voltage)

2.) 1GB is available but not yet in Europe have a friend bringing my 1GB from Hong Kong Back

Shigsy wrote:
    I bought this phone (Nokia 6680), waiting on it to be delivered and have a few questions:
    Can you use ANY MMC card with the Nokia 6680, as long as its dual voltage? Is 512mb the max the phone can take, or will the 1GB work too? What about the Reduced Size (RS) MMC cards? Will they work too as long as they have the RS-MMC -> MMC adapter to make them physically fit?

And ive read that there is GPS software with this phone as standard. You just put in an address and it tells you how to get there (can even voice the directions out loud) just like a GPS system for a car, but the review that mentioned this was in England. So does anyone know if this works for ireland too? Do you need to download an irish version of the software maybe?

Re MMC Card. Must be RS MMC. RS is short for reduced size. So RS MMC are smaller than MMC i.e you remove the adapter to make them fit the phone. The adapter is useful only if you say have an MMC only card reaser. Must be dual voltage. I have a 512MB card. i dunno about 1GB.

I got mine delivered for e50 from www.shopformemory.ie Compare at about e80 around town.

No GPS software on my phone purchased recently (Vodafone)

Spin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Memory prices have come down a lot
    The 512 is just under 50 now. Have them available here

Also, if you need the 6680 flashed with latest unbranded fw, give me a shout. Sorted Woody's for him ;)

€35.50 shipped for 512MB Kingston DV-RSMMC here:
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/Kingston/256MB/MMC/Mobile/(Mobile/Phone/Memory)

They are calling DV-RSMMC cards "Mobile MMC" cards now for the most part..
    As long as its dual voltage yer grand. Regular RSMMC will not work in 6680.

Q.

<apologies>
    The link you give doesnt work, so I navigated to rs-mmc dv cards and got a price of 52 Euro, but now i tried mmc mobile and i see the deal you mentioned!!!! WOW!!! Thats some price!</apologies>

crap... they have just gone up to 22.99 stg from 17.99 stg. Thats prob why the link expired...
    Was gonna get one today..
    If anyone hears of a deal.............. :-)

Thanks for the replies. My 6680 is vodafone (havent gotton it yet) so if your vodafone 6680 didnt come with any GPS software, then i doubt mine will. Anywhere i could download this GpS software that works in Ireland?

btw, i PM'd you Wolfman :D

I got a 6680 last month. I think it's great, anyone who sees the pics taken on it think they're brilliant (once it's not taken in artifical light, when the quality sucks). Although my phone has the Vodafone firmware on it, MP3 ringtones aren't blocked, unlike the 6630.

My only real complaint is that I think the buttons are a bit too small but otherwise I'm happy. Got it unlocked too, Vodafone sent me the code in a few days.

Shigsy wrote:

This is a common mistake people make
    There is a module in the newer firmware called positioning and it is used when supported by the network for locating users.

EG... Your friend is authorised with the network to check your whereabouts... He sends a postioning request and your phone broadcasts an approximate position back to the network which is then relayed to him

In practical terms....... forget it! Like a lot of these add ons, most Irish networks do not and will not support them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I got my 6680 from 3. The origional f/w would not allow me to set operator logos. I wanted to replace the "3" shown beside the clock, with 3's actual logo an then the word Ireland. And also to replace the "3" shown when I am actualy using Vodafone with Vodas logo, just to make it more obvious that I am using their network as a backup.

I could not do it with the phone so I brought it to the nokia center to get its firmware updated (it also had a few minor faults as well). They told me that the newer version was not available on 3 as 3 had not released the new datapack yet. I asked them to put on the generic software instead, and they did it. I now have the generic firmware on my phone, but still no oplogos. Either a setting is disabled somewhere or my phones SIM is blocking it. Maybe when I did the factory settings the phone took some of its settings from the SIM or something.

Advertisement