Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nokia 6680

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Karsini wrote:
    I got a 6680 last month. I think it's great, anyone who sees the pics taken on it think they're brilliant (once it's not taken in artifical light, when the quality sucks). Although my phone has the Vodafone firmware on it, MP3 ringtones aren't blocked, unlike the 6630.

My only real complaint is that I think the buttons are a bit too small but otherwise I'm happy. Got it unlocked too, Vodafone sent me the code in a few days.

Im trying to get my Nokia 6680 unlocked too but Vodafone isnt helping me at all!! Its locked to the Vodafone UK netowork so its useless to me cause ive a Vodafone IRL and O2 IRL sim. Vodafone UK wont unlock it for me cause they have no Vodafone UK sim to charge me the 19.99GBP unlocking fee! So how did u go about getting it unlocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Shigsy wrote:
    Im trying to get my Nokia 6680 unlocked too but Vodafone isnt helping me at all!! Its locked to the Vodafone UK netowork so its useless to me cause ive a Vodafone IRL and O2 IRL sim. Vodafone UK wont unlock it for me cause they have no Vodafone UK sim to charge me the 19.99GBP unlocking fee! So how did u go about getting it unlocked?
    I think only the network can unlock the 6680.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BuffyBot wrote:
    I think only the network can unlock the 6680.

So whats the story if I got a 6680 from 3, when can I unlock it?
    Once my 12 month contract is up or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

ok i got this fone and it confuses the hell out of me!

i got the memory card with it but im gurssing im going to have to get another one that is bigger because it says that the fone can hold all this music and mine after like four songs says its full.....no space available.

people keep saying how great the fone i....im just not getting it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sarah** wrote:
    ok i got this fone and it confuses the hell out of me!

i got the memory card with it but im gurssing im going to have to get another one that is bigger because it says that the fone can hold all this music and mine after like four songs says its full.....no space available.

people keep saying how great the fone i....im just not getting it!

Well it comes with...what 10MB memory, when it comes to mp3's 10MB ain't going to go very far at all.
    If your going to use it as a mp3 player you might want to consider 256MB, 512MB or a 1GB memory card for it.

If your only savign txt files 10MB will store loads of stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

So whats the story if I got a 6680 from 3, when can I unlock it?
    Once my 12 month contract is up or what?

I can't say for sure when, because I don't know what 3's policy is, but they do have power to unlock it whenever their criteria is met.

As far as i know you can have your phone unlocked by Three if you buy your way out of the remainder of your contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Shigsy wrote:
    As far as i know you can have your phone unlocked by Three if you buy your way out of the remainder of your contract.

This is true for most billpay phones to my knowledge.

Apparently Vodafone charge 127 euro for an unlock code, unless you spend 100 euro or more on your account, i read about it somewhere and i can hardly imagine them handing out unlock codes to create SIM free phones for free :)

To save yourself some hassle, if you want an unbranded, straight-from-nokia, SIM free phone, take a look at http://www.mphone.co.uk - i just bought mine off them for 370 euro (20 euro more than Vodafone but I'm meteor). Delivery was sublime (Picked up by FedEx at 4:30pm on Wednesday and Here at 12:25pm thursday - i live in teh sticks :P)

The Nokia 6680 cannot be unlocked by anybody except the network operator, BB5 is its protection scheme (it's on all recent Nokia phones) and there's no code generator out yet. Rumour has it there is a guy who reverse engineered it and is getting paid to fly around the place unlocking hundreds of units at a time :)

Shigsy wrote:
    Sorry for taking so long to reply, never got a notification for this thread. Must be to do with the vBulletin upgrade. :rolleyes:

I'm on postpaid so I just rang Vodafone and they posted the code out to me within a week. Since my phone was a Vodafone Ireland phone there wasn't any problem.

Reading up through the thread it seems 1GB cards that will work in the Nokia 6680 are not yet available, anyone know if their available now?

Also I see the 512MB version is on http://thefonedoc.com, whats the company like to order from and does anyone know of other companies that offer accessories for the Nokia 6680 (screen covers etc) that do free shipping to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Finally got the unlock code off Vodafone for my 6680, and it didnt work! :mad: I was waiting 3 weeks for this code, despite being told by Vodafone that it usually takes 3 - 4 days to get the code off Nokia. Its really annoying me now.
    When i turn the phone on it says "SIM card rejected" and it can type in a code (the unlock code) so when i do, it says "Code error". I confirmed the code with Vodafone to make sure its right and it is. The guy from Vodafone told me they will look into it and try find out why that code didnt work. I already told them at the very start that its locked to the Vodafone UK network, not Vodafone IRL, so does it matter? Surely the code they get from nokia is just an unlock code for my 6680 (unique to my phones IMEI) so it shouldnt make a difference what network it happens to be locked to at the time? :confused:
    Anyway, i can see this dragging on till after Christmas! Boooourns to Vodafone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

just got my 6680 from three the other day very impressed but keep getting security errors when uploading s/w even though i have disbabled cert checks ?? anyboby ??

also can anyone confirm the 1gb rs-dv-mmc cards work im looking at one here at he mo http://thefonedoc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=139 ?

thanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

just got my 6680 from three the other day very impressed but keep getting security errors when uploading s/w even though i have disbabled cert checks ?? anyboby ??

also can anyone confirm the 1gb rs-dv-mmc cards work im looking at one here at he mo http://thefonedoc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=139 ?

thanx

the only options i have in the app manager is software installation on or off and cert check on or off. are they both set right?

that card will work in it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i have issues with this phone - it's grand but it seems to crash very often. i take it the generic software fixed all this stuff?

Red Alert wrote:
    i have issues with this phone - it's grand but it seems to crash very often. i take it the generic software fixed all this stuff?
    My phone is fine, rarely crashes on me. It has the original Vodafone firmware, 3.04.11. Is your phone Vodafone or 3 branded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

thanx
    They work fine with the 6680. We have tried them on a few different models and work on all without problems

Advertisement