Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Whats Q4 Like

Options
  • 25-10-2005 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

I havnt forked out for it just yet...is it any good in multiplayer?It there plenty of servers to join in on a killing spree...Theres a special edition of it out also..it comes with q2 and a few add on packs for q2...its in game stop for 69.99 or play.com for 71.99!

weird it should be cheaper on the net.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

play is including their "free" delievery maybe?
    and its not a bad game i havnt got a change to try it out in multiplayer yet but the single player is good fun. its a classic shooter with very new graphics, better then doom3 as your not in pitch black most of the time but some areas of it do remind me of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

Totally reminds me of Doom 3, and thats not necessarily a good thing.

Typical shooter, nothing really sets it apart.

Between this and F.E.A.R. , I would say that FEAR is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

boo4842 wrote:
    Totally reminds me of Doom 3, and thats not necessarily a good thing.

Typical shooter, nothing really sets it apart.

Between this and F.E.A.R. , I would say that FEAR is a no brainer.
    In single player, you're dead right. But I will be spending much more time playing q4 multiplayer online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i'm enjoying single player so far, yes very standard fps fare but enjoying it none the less, doubt i'll play it a second time though, even playing it on hard i've only died once and i'm more than half way through i'd say (just after getting to drive the mech thing), so not very challenging

as for multiplayer, well i've just run about a few of the maps so far, looks like a vast improvement over doom3 multiplayer but not nearly as good as quake3

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

bought it the other day in game stop 54.99. its only ok , not to remark on. bought f.e.a.r last week, finished it already , but graphically and gameply wise far superior in my opinion just short. buy f.e.a.r

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

I got it last monday in virgin here in cork with vouchers I was given for me birthday.I like it alot playing multiplayer only for the moment.Looking forward to mods and custom maps.I find it very fast paced if you get a busy server.But you have to ask why are there so many remade maps in it..the longest yard is one of them..surley they could of built ones we havnt seen ever before instead of remaking old ones...I believe they put all their efforts into the x box 360 version rather than the pc version....At least we can play mods...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after being dissappointed with Doom3 now this Quake 4 isnt even as good as that Ive totally lost faith in ID Software for good I think. They are not even a shadow of their former greatness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭sharpjaws

Gonzo wrote:
    after being dissappointed with Doom3 now this Quake 4 isnt even as good as that Ive totally lost faith in ID Software for good I think. They are not even a shadow of their former greatness.
    game is great, really is doom3 graphics well used, game play is very good, completed the game, only thing didnt like was how i look :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Yea I'm working my way thru the single player game... it's good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Just completed it the other night. I know there are countless detractors of Doom 3 but I liked it.
    Then again I like pretty much all fps's (with the exception of the battlefield series).

Then again I still enjoy playing Quake and Doom. Do you really need a complex plot? Well it certainly helps but...it generally doesn't bother me. Unless it's highly cheesey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sAid

yeah doom3 with quake3 weapons imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Single player is fun so far. Multiplayer, for me anyway, sucks. Not sure what the problem is but I'm connect to a server and then my ping hits 999 and I can't do ****. I've tried a few times and on a few different servers. So if anyone has advice on getting this working nicely please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭biofreak

wideangle wrote:
    I havnt forked out for it just yet...is it any good in multiplayer?It there plenty of servers to join in on a killing spree...Theres a special edition of it out also..it comes with q2 and a few add on packs for q2...its in game stop for 69.99 or play.com for 71.99!

weird it should be cheaper on the net.:mad:
    You can get Quake 4 on its own for £26.99 about €34 here.

You could nearly buy Quake 2 there seperately and still come out cheaper than that offer from play.com

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Nearly finished the single player, and it's pretty good, not great by any means standard stuff as mentioned here already. The one thing I don't like is all the maps feel very compact, there are no open spaces anywhere in the game and the ones that are there are pretty bare and boring looking. I know some people like to walk through corrodors all the time I just like a bit of variety in a game to keep me interested.

The multiplayer sucks donkey privates from what i've played of it so far. The whole game has to restart if you select multiplayer, and the menu system is clunky and awkward. Gameplay feels very q3 like with pretier graphics no real improvements gameplay wise from what I can see, and a pretty small selection of maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Single player is fun so far. Multiplayer, for me anyway, sucks. Not sure what the problem is but I'm connect to a server and then my ping hits 999 and I can't do ****. I've tried a few times and on a few different servers. So if anyone has advice on getting this working nicely please let me know.

A lot of us are getting this... are you on ISDN? If so then theres nothing you can do really I think. It was happening to me on my ASUS TA but not so much on my Eicon Diva. It happens nearly all the time to both Slaanesh and Vincent, and a lot of other ISDNers, to the point of flooding them out and disconnecting them from the server. Going 128k should fix it if you are ISDN, and if not then try messing with net settings, raising your net_clientmaxrate for example. If you're on 56k then forget about it - you'll only be able to play multiplayer on lan.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Nexus

Its no qw/q3/ET in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Yes, but people actually play q4 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Gonzo wrote:
    after being dissappointed with Doom3 now this Quake 4 isnt even as good as that Ive totally lost faith in ID Software for good I think.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    I bought the previous 3 quakes, and this has been the least fun I've had with any of them... between Doom3 and Quake4, I'm finished with Id if this is the kind of unimaginitive shíte they're going to be churning out.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ID are a games-engine making company these days. D3 and Q4 are their brochures.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

mmm, it really did feel like I was vaguely interacting with a scene from 3dmark ... pretty to watch, but distant and uninvolving.
    I find the HL2 source engine far more impressive anyway... especially if you look at the Lost Coast tech demo... although to their credit, Valve made a really decent game to go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭[Preacher]

DeVore wrote:

DeV.

Thats roughly what I was going to say. ID didnt design the game itself, just the engine.
    The multiplayer sucks donkey privates from what i've played of it so far. The whole game has to restart if you select multiplayer, and the menu system is clunky and awkward. Gameplay feels very q3 like with pretier graphics no real improvements gameplay wise from what I can see, and a pretty small selection of maps.

Raven have always made the clients for single player and multiplayer seperate for some reason eg. STV: Elite Force. Possibly to make them easier to support though I would say its down to the fact they are nothing more than team of mappers and modelers. And saying the multiplayer isn't improved is hardly fair. Quake players dont want anyone to re-invent the wheel. Show me the amazing differences between Quake 1/2/3 ??
    Being dissappointed with Doom3 now this Quake 4 isnt even as good as that Ive totally lost faith in ID Software for good I think. They are not even a shadow of their former greatness.

I disagree. ID have always been masters of the technical side of gaming. Doom was only so fantastic because the engine allowed you to feel alot more "pulled in" than anything available at the time. Quake was the same. To me the appeal of an ID game is the overall feel of the engine and how smooth and consistent it is. Without ID there would have been no Counter-Strike. In my opinion most of the best fps's are based on ID's technology and I refuse to believe thats a coincidence.

</IDfanboy>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

[Preacher] wrote:
    Quake players dont want anyone to re-invent the wheel. Show me the amazing differences between Quake 1/2/3 ??

Well, the main thing noticable in quake is the differences in every second game.

Quake 1 and quake 3 have similar characteristics - the games are focused on speed, they have a completely different feel to quake 2 and quake 4. I think ID did this on pupose - I don't think they remade Edge for quake 4 just by coincidence, edge doesn't work well in qw or q3 (it's been done in qw, dunno about q3), whereas pro-q3dm6 has been made in qw and is good, same with aerowalk vice versa, as CPM22. A strange example to use I know, but I think how maps work in a game makes alot of difference - some maps will only work in fast games, some need slow cs style play.

Yes, they're are "quake", but though on the surface q4 might look like a bit of a remake of q3, and though players of quake 1, 2 and 3 are all playing q4 at the moment, I think the community at large is split into 2 groups: those who play the even numbers, and those who play the odds.

True, a CPM style mod will probably come out for quake 4 eventually to attract some of the "speedmonkeys" to the game, but I don't think it'll ever really do it for me.

Now back to the original topic. Quake 4 is a good game multiplayer, or, rather, it has the potential to be. It's problems are outlined by killy here, and most still remain.

I think the reason q4 hasn't taken off is simple: newbies can't pick it up and play. The game will be moulded into something playable, but until then it needs alot of people messing about, communities forming etc. At the moment we have 2 irish clans, both of which are barely practicing afaik (we aint, anyway), only really trying for the CB games. What we need is a community. Numbers.

I could write for hours on why there aint numbers (the main reason being better broadband allowing for people to play anywhere now), but I suck at writing, and I don't have a solution..

Let's go back to qw til ID sort themselves out.

IK-queTzal/Fobia/PHOAR/itdoesn'tmatterwhatmynickisyou'llknowfromthesmilies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

quake four is shia,i got cod 2, f.e.a.r. and quake 4 at the same time,cleared first two but didn't go back to quake after bout 4 hours of gameplay,control system is crap,sound is the same and graphics are same as doom i think , dissapointing all round i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

DeVore wrote:

DeV.

Exactly!

ID just use these games to showcase their graphics engine. There like tech demos but I did enjoy playing through the single player Q4 game. :)

Advertisement