Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College fees

Options
  • 25-10-2005 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Don't know, it is probably not the right forum to ask, but still.

So, do you know anybody who are not Irish nationals and are going to college? I'm not Irish national but live here for quite a long time. The problem is that I couldn't go to college because I've to pay fees which are extremely high. I've contacted a number of colleges and everyone says that I will have to pay fees regardless my family income and the fact that I would probably have a LC with around 580-600 points.

So I’m just wondering would this be possible to overcome this ridiculous system of fees and get a remission as all people in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,577 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

these fees that the college is talking about is general administration fees.

you know the sort of fees that cover your exams, paper you use to write on in exams photocopier, library access, students union fee.

i'm sure there is some grant you may be able to get if you fall into the certain circumstances but in my experience everyone in my course had to pay the guts of 700 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you are from the EU, you should not have to pay anything besides the €700 or so registration fee (as far as I know), but if you're a non-eu citizen you are liable for full fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

How much of your secondary education did you do in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

not sure if this is any help, but a friend of mine doing my course is a non-eu student. However he's lived here for the last 4 years and sat his lc here.

He pays the same fees every year as a regular student would if they're repeating a year circa 6000euro

He works every weekend to pay for the fees so he has it tough to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

I'm here since second year of secondary school. Working on the weekends and part-time weekdays would be very extreme to me.:(

I'm only hoping that the university would give me free-fees status, because of the very good LC(don’t know exactly how many points i would get, should be around 580-600). Would this be possible in yours opinion?

• Advertisement

What kind of course are you looking at doing? I don't think CAO points will make much difference.

That's odd I must say. I always thought free fees depended on how long you were living here (residency) rather than nationality and that someone who has done most of their secondary education in Ireland would be equal to any Irish person, but I guess not.

Wouldn't you be here long enough to apply for citizenship?

What other EU countries get away with charging different fees for their own citizens and those of other EU countries?

embraer170 wrote:
    What kind of course are you looking at doing? I don't think CAO points will make much difference.

That's odd I must say. I always thought free fees depended on how long you were living here (residency) rather than nationality and that someone who has done most of their secondary education in Ireland would be equal to any Irish person, but I guess not.

Wouldn't you be here long enough to apply for citizenship?

What other EU countries get away with charging different fees for their own citizens and those of other EU countries?

I want to do Computer Applications in DCU.
    I'm not living enough to apply for citizenship, because in order to get it I needed to be worked here (not studying) for 5 years.

I actually don't know how is the story with fees in other countries.

My teacher in school is always saying that universities should have some kind of scheme to help poor, but high promising students.
    I found something in DCU about that http://www.dcu.ie/students/finance/remission.shtml
    But when I emailed them about this question I didn't get a good answer.

It sounds very weird to me that student’s performance means less than his nationality. I was always thinking that colleges should be interesting in good students, but…

I'm not living enough to apply for citizenship, because in order to get it I needed to be worked here (not studying) for 5 years.

Aren't there special rules for those who grew up in Ireland where years of primary/secondary education count?

What's weird to me is that is that nationality means more than residence. I can to a (very very limited) extent understand why the gov. does not want to pay fees for student tourists but I cannot understand why someone who has been normally resident in Ireland for x years cannot qualify for the fees scheme like everyone else.

What nationality are you if you don't mind me asking.

embraer170 wrote:
    What nationality are you if you don't mind me asking.

Ukrainian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Paul_D: Assuming you have resided in Ireland for 3 of the 5 years prior to applying to college, you should be eligible to pay EU fees rather then non-EU fees, i.e.

From DIT's International Student Fee Policy:
    C. Student Pays the ‘EU Rate’ of Fees based on their Residency

The ‘EU Rate’ of fees is the total tuition fee plus capitation for each course type as determined by the DOES each year. It is the same amount a Self Support Student would have to pay.
    To qualify for this a student must meet the following two criteria:

(i) Residency Test

An applicant’s principal residence for the purpose of taxation must have been in a European Union Member State for a minimum of 3 of the 5 years prior to entry to D.I.T.

Note 1: Any period of residence as a student, or as holder of a student visa, is not included in the assessment of years of residence.
    If an applicant is under 23 years of age on the 1st September of the year of entry to the programme for all programmes commencing in September/October (or the first of the month in which a programme commences for programmes not commencing in September/October) then the principal residence for the purpose of taxation of the parents will be examined. (see note 1 above)
    If an applicant is 23 years of age or older on the 1st September of the year of entry to the programme for all programmes commencing in September/October (or the first of the month in which a programme commences for programmes not commencing in September/October) then the principal residence for the purpose of taxation of the applicant is examined. (see note 1 above)
    A P21 form (or equivalent from another EU member state) (supplied by the Revenue Commissioners) for each of 3 of the 5 years prior to entry to D.I.T. will be required in both instances.

and

(ii) Previous Work/Studies Test

An Applicant must have spent 3 of the last 5 years in full time study or work in an EU member state prior to the commencement of the course. Students classified for fee purposes as non-EU will not be permitted to change their fee status following admission.

This full time study/work requirement will be deemed satisfied in the case of an applicant for whom a spouse is claiming a tax benefit, which must be confirmed by a P21 form or evidence of social welfare benefits.
    Typically, in DIT and other ITs (and even more in universities) you can expect to pay around €10,000 per year, non-EU fee, in an undergraduate degree versus a much more manageable €3000-4000 per year EU fee, which you may be eligible for providing you meet the above criteria.

SofaKing wrote:
    a much more manageable €3000-4000 per year EU fee, which you may be eligible for providing you meet the above criteria.

3-4K are not manageable to me at all:( . I would have to work day and night to pay off accommodation and food. (which is 110-130 euros per week):(

My original question was: does anybody know some somebody who is in the similar situation as me? And would this be possible to persuade DCU's staff to give me fee remission based on my academic performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

you should get in touch with dcu's fees and grants office (or equivalent) and inquire about scholarships based on lc score. However even these aren't that much (for example my course: science ucd gives scholarships of 1270euro for those scoring over 550 in their lc)

You could aslo enquire about grants for travel - if you live a certain distance away from college you can get a grant - the further the better.

However all these would still leave you having to work a lot to cover the costs.

As i said my friend is in the same boat (2nd science ucd) he pays eu feeshttp://www.ucd.ie/fees/

Just contact the colleges grant office and your local council and see what your eligble for.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 solas11

Vokes wrote: »
    Paul_D: Assuming you have resided in Ireland for 3 of the 5 years prior to applying to college, you should be eligible to pay EU fees rather then non-EU fees, i.e.

From DIT's International Student Fee Policy:

Typically, in DIT and other ITs (and even more in universities) you can expect to pay around €10,000 per year, non-EU fee, in an undergraduate degree versus a much more manageable €3000-4000 per year EU fee, which you may be eligible for providing you meet the above criteria.

I am an international student (non-eu) in ireland since Feb 2006. Joined a foundation course and then got entry to do science in DIT. i already got my undergrad level 7 degree. i am currently entering the 4th and final year of a level 8 programme.

my fees are 11000 euro, is there some kind of a reduction in fees, or am i entitled for anything?

i finished a 3 yr course at DIT, and already payed non eu fees for my 3rd yr in level 8 programme. any kinda reduction for 4th year?
    need some help..thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

LC results are irrelevant. If you're from an EU state I'm almost certain you've been here long enough for free fees, you may need to prove residency though.

Advertisement