Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannot connect to my Router after connecting to New PC

• 25-10-2005 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I have asked a few questions in the past here and got a good response.

I purchased a new PC and am trying to connect my DI-624 router to it without any joy. I have reset the router to the factory mode but still nothing. When I connect the router my PC does not see any network.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    GAvin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What do you mean exactly by "does not see any network"? Can you see the SSID/Router (Is the ESSID being broadcast?)? Can you ping the router OK? Vice-versa? Have you tried with firewalls disabled?
    What IP address,subnet,etc. is in use on client/router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

if u reset the router to factory settings have u reconfigured the router with alll the necessary settings as give in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Thanks for the replies.
    I cannot access my router via my internet browser to change any of the settings (as previously)

I have reset router and I still cannot access it.

My PC roams looking for an IP address. I have set it to obtain an IP address automatically but still it looks for an IP address.

Regards
    Gavin

In order to connect to the router using browser u'll need to set the ip address of the PC to a static one in the same range as the router.

So if router default ip address is 192.168.0.1 set ur PC to 192.168.0.100 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0

And you have to connect using ethenet cable, not wirelessly

Set your IP address manually (It must be in the same range as the router's default)
    Can you connect via Ethernet?
    (What OS?)

edit:
    Looking through the manual - the router IP by default should be 192.168.0.1
    (Ensure that your browser is set not to use a Proxy (Ex: IE->tools->Internet Options->Connections) )
    Manually set the IP address of your Wireless NIC to 192.168.0.3 ; and subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Then View available networks? Can you see it? connect? Connect via browser?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the responses,
    Still no joy. My PC finds a network when I manually configure my IP address but I cannot access via the browser or surf.

Just to clarify my router is connected to my PC to allow for other PC`s and wireless Soundbridges to operate.

Thanks again
    Gavin

Are you connecting to the router by a cable to configure router first? You can't do it be the wireless.

When things go right-it should be contactable (not sure it's a word,but hey..) via 802.11 out-of-the-box.. but obviously when there's an issue you should connect via wired/Ethernet. Have you tried this (How is the router "connected to your PC" at the moment?)

Have you checked your browsers proxy settings?

What Operating System are you using? (Full version/service packs,etc please)

What do you mean when you say that your "PC finds a network"? You can see it via ex. View Available Networks? Or that you can ping it?

Again thanks for the responses.

With my old PC I was always connected via a cable to this router(from here it connects wirelessly to other PC`s and Soundbridges) and there never was a problem.
    I am running a DELL version of XP home edition SP2. I have reset the router to its factory configuration so that I can reprogramme it.
    I have no proxies active(?) with my internet connection.
    When I connect my cable modem directly into the back of my PC it connects straight away. When I go via the router it looks for a new network connection and it never finds one. Comes back with a message limited connectivity.

Thanks again.

Have u assigned an ip address to the Dell? Like 192.168.0.100? Or is it set to get a dynamic ip?

Have you tried a different ethernet cable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tezcat

-scratch that- mis read the above, u are connecting to the router ok

I have tried both to use an manually configured IP address and automatically obtained IP address.

I have used the same ethernet cable as before, could be be the problem?

Thanks

dunno. just trying to rule out any possible problems. A faulty cable is possible but prob unlikely.

I'm a bit stumped at this stage..... what have Dlink support said?

Short version:
    Can you ping 127.0.0.1 OK on the PC?

LONG version:
    [After some sleep..things are getting a bit clearer.. :) It's an Ethernet connection problem-i had assumed (because this is in the wireless forum) that it was wifi issue..]

Did your machine come with SP2 pre-installed?
    Is MS Patch: KB884020 installed? [ http://www.pchell.com/downloads/SP2ConnectivityFix.zip <-the patch,reghack,and instructions ]

Can you ping 127.0.0.1 on the Dell OK?
    Can you ping 192.168.0.1 (Router's default IP addy) from the Dell OK?

As irlrobins said,try another cable ; and disable firewalls. (Just to rule it out-it's almost never the cause)

Router: Reset, and ensure that the Dell is the only thing connected via Ethernet.

Dell:
    Re-install the network adaptor from device manager.
    Set the NIC speed to 10Mbps/Full Duplex.

Dell: Try WinsockXP Fix? (To rule out TCP/IP issue on the Dell)

Hi Folks,
    I have spent a bit of time on this today. I contacted DLink support and after 1/2 hour of trying this and trying that, it turned out to be the router had the same address as something else( BS explanation I know) so I gave the router a new IP address and the probelm went away.

Thanks to everyone for there replies esp Karoma and irlrobins

Thanks again
    Gavin

Advertisement