Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

J C wrote:
    BTW the Puma is a member of the Big Cat Kind (that produced Lions, Tigers, Cheetahs & Leopards).

The "Big Cat Kind" that there is no evidence ever existed and that you just made up for the hell of it. Oh ok, that explains that then :rolleyes:

By the way maybe you would like to explain how if all animals decended from a handful of "kind" animal in a few decades, but macro-evolution doesn't happen, how do they have different chromosone numbers? How come some of the animals, like modern day horses, have managed to increase their chromosone count?

Maybe you would like to tell us how many chromosones your imaginary "Big Cat Kind", or "Big Horse Kind" had when he got off the Ark?

The flood didn't happen.
    J C wrote:
    However, if just ONE critical base pair out of a Human’s 3,200,000,000 base pairs is ‘shuffled’ into the wrong space – death or serious illness will result

That isn't true. We would all be identifical clones or dead, if that were the case. My DNA is very different to yours. My DNA is very very different to a mountain lion.

There are millions of different combinations of DNA that all still work.
    J C wrote:
    “So basically you have to REJECT the Earth being very old (4.5 billion years) or you have to ACCEPT Hoyle's reputation. Which is it?”
    No I don't because I'm not basing any decisions soley on Hoyles reputation as scientist.

The problem is you are picking and choosing to accept things from what Hoyle stated, while at the same time expecting us to accept Hoyles view point in relation to evolution because of his reputation as a scientists.

His mathematical theories are seriously flawed, as is his understanding of evolution. This was pointed out by a number of scientists soon after his works were published

Yet you want use to ignore these flaws and criticism because he was a famous astronomer. So why are you ignoring all his other theories.
    J C wrote:
    Hoyle wasn’t infallible,
    He certainly wasn't, and his theories on evolution were very flawed. As has been proven.
    J C wrote:
    His beliefs about the (old) age of the Earth should make his rejection of Evolution even more credible (for long ages Evolutionists)!!!
    His radical theories on evolution doesn't work without the old age of the earth, as Hoyle himself stated, so you by definition of being a YEC have to reject his theories on evolution, even if they seem to support your argument, before I do JC

Which is why using Hoyle as an example is such silliness.

J C wrote:
    In relation to the origins of the Universe :-

Actually it goes more like this

Scientist -

Ok children. We don't know what happened before the big bang. We don't know if there was something, or nothing, we don't know if there was time or no time. We are not even sure how to define these terms in the context of before the big bang. We simply don't know, and may never know.

Creationist -

Ok children. In the begining there was nothing. We know this because its in the Bible, which is the word of God. We know its the word of God because that is in the Bible too. Umm, is that right? Ummm? .. ok so there was nothing in the beginning. Well actually there was something, there was God. Now nothing can come from nothing so everything has to be created by something. Umm except God, nothing created God. So, umm, I guess something can come from nothing. And something can't always exist so the universe must have been made. But actually God always existed, so umm, I guess he didn't come from nothing, and something can always exist. Anyway, moving swiftly on before someone realises the paradox in this.

Ok children. So nothing cannot come from nothing so God must have created the universe, umm out of nothing. Wait, thats not right .. umm ... is it? God made the universe but he made it out of nothing. So really the universe did come from nothing, God just umm, rearranged the nothing to make something. Or he got the something from, umm, somewhere else. But there wasn't anywhere else. Ummm. Anyway, moving swiftly on before someone realises the paradox in that.

Ok children, so God made everything out of nothing (swiftly on children .. run!), and he also made man. He gave man free will so man could worship God. Except God knows everything, and decided everything at the start of time, so man, umm, can't have free will. Because God decided what would happen at the start of the universe when he set the ball rolling. Umm, ahhh, ummm ... hold on children teacher needs a lie down before we go on...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Wicknight wrote:
    Actually it goes more like this
    You deserve a medal for that, that was amazing.

Asiaprod wrote:

I get that a lot :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Asiaprod said;
    Fiction Writers Guild Medal of Honour? ;)

To help his confused mind, let me point out the resolution to his 'paradox'. The something cannot come from nothing truism is not contradicted by Creation. The truism concerns the material world; we observe the fact that something cannot come from nothing. But the existence of the spiritual world adds a critical factor. The material can be created by the spiritual.

That is how it happened: God, the eternally existing Spirit created both the angels and the material universe. You may deny that happened, but there is no paradox created by the assertions it did.

As to man's free-will, God's foreknowledge of how Adam exercised that creates no paradox. It might be used to question His wisdom in allowing it to happen (by those foolish enough to think they are wiser than God), but it has no effect on Adam's choice.

• Advertisement

wolfsbane wrote:
    But the existence of the spiritual world adds a critical factor. The material can be created by the spiritual.
    You are basing that assertion of the physical laws of the spiritual world on what evidence or experience?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    That is how it happened: God, the eternally existing Spirit created both the angels and the material universe.
    Out of what?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    As to man's free-will, God's foreknowledge of how Adam exercised that creates no paradox.
    It does when you realise that Adam was always going to do what he did, because of how God set the inital variable of the universe and God knows everything that will happen. Cause and effect.

It would not be possible for Adam to not do what he did unless God had created the universe differently. Adam's choice is defined at the moment of creation, as are all our choices. The universe was created as one single static entity by God, God is responsible for everything that we have done, are doing and will do from his intial set up at the moment of creation.

If Adam could have done what he wished at that moment he ate the apple that means his decisions in his brain were independent of the time line leading directly to the moment from the moment of creation. That isn't possible if one asserts God made the universe and knows all, viewing the universe as one static object. You can't have a time line independent of God if God is truely well, a god.

God would see the entire universe as a static object in the 4th dimension, from the moment of creation to the end of everything. It would be one single vision to him, it would be one long line, heading off in the direct God initally set at the moment of creation.

If there exists free will this isn't possible, since one could not establish the direction of the line if the line itself is not defined until we choose to do something.

That is the paradox, because the Bible asserts we have free will independent of God design. That isn't possible if God made the universe and knows all. The two ideas are not compatible with each other. Even the most simple philisophical exploration will show someone that this just won't work as a concept.

It shouldn't come as a great shock the parts of the Bible contradict other parts or that logical paradoxes exist with the teachings of the Judeo/Christian religion. I don't think the writers of the Bible put a lot of thought into this, as they probably didn't expect the paradoxes and incompatable ideas to be pondered over for thousands of years. In fact there is a whole tread of "God paradoxes" on the Atheist forum if some believers really want their brain to turn to mush trying to reconcile them.

My current fav is "Can God create an object that he cannot move"

Of course this is a little off topic, so I will direct anyone interested at having a crack at that one to the atheist forum thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054989788

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> As to man's free-will, God's foreknowledge of how Adam exercised that creates no paradox.

As Wicknight says, I think it would be useful for you to dip into the den that is the atheist forum, where the terminological contradiction which arises between the concepts of omniscience and free-will was explored in detail yesterday. The following five short posts summarize the explanation:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52054441&postcount=29
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52054485&postcount=30
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52054832&postcount=35
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52054894&postcount=38
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52054906&postcount=39

...and I trust you will find it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

robindch wrote:
    > As to man's free-will, God's foreknowledge of how Adam exercised that creates no paradox.

As Wicknight says, I think it would be useful for you to dip into the den that is the atheist forum, where the terminological contradiction which arises between the concepts of omniscience and free-will was explored in detail yesterday. The following five short posts summarize the explanation:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52054441&postcount=29
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52054485&postcount=30
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52054832&postcount=35
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52054894&postcount=38
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52054906&postcount=39

...and I trust you will find it interesting.

...if a trifle unbalanced. There is a resolution to the paradox, which leaves man with freewill in his frame of reference, and entire universe knowable throughout time in god's frame of reference. The solution is to recognise that these are separate frames of reference - one for a temporal being, one for an extratemporal being.

Of course, an atheist is unlikely to admit that, aren't they? Or are they? One or the other, anyway, or both.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    The solution is to recognise that these are separate frames of reference - one for a temporal being, one for an extratemporal being.

That doesn't make sense.

Either man has the possibility of choosing one of 2 decisions, or he doesn't

Just because he thinks he does doesn't mean he does. If the second option is not a possible option, even if the man thinks he can select it he still can't

Anyway, shhh, no arguing in front of the theists :p

Wicknight wrote:
    That doesn't make sense.

Either man has the possibility of choosing one of 2 decisions, or he doesn't

Just because he thinks he does doesn't mean he does. If the second option is not a possible option, even if the man thinks he can select it he still can't

Anyway, shhh, no arguing in front of the theists :p

It's back on the God paradoxes forum, so...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Scofflaw said:
    There is a resolution to the paradox, which leaves man with freewill in his frame of reference, and entire universe knowable throughout time in god's frame of reference. The solution is to recognise that these are separate frames of reference - one for a temporal being, one for an extratemporal being.
    Admiring this further example of the common grace of God, in giving some unbelievers a logical mind and common sense, :D

wolfsbane wrote:
    Scofflaw said:

Admiring this further example of the common grace of God, in giving some unbelievers a logical mind and common sense, :D

Its ok, the immovable object paradox is good enough for me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Scofflaw
    First, every amino acid is coded for by several DNA base sequences, so there's some tolerance built in. Second, most proteins have a degree of tolerance in their struture - in particular, you can change almost everything about an enzyme except for the active site(s) without any effect. Third, most of us have at least two copies of most genes. Fourth, most phenotypic factors are controlled by multiple genes. Fifth, most biochemical pathways have a degree of tolerance built in as well.
    We are, in fact, loosely specified.

Yes, there are tolerances 'built in' as well as back-up systems to correct gene errors - but all of these systems are further evidence of Intelligent Design. :eek: :D

We are also, TIGHTLY specified.

Genetic information is the specific instructions necessary to produce a living organism as found in the DNA of the cells of that organism.

These instructions are highly specific, even one nucleotide misplaced along a critical sequence can have catastrophic consequences for the organism.
    They are also NOT chemically / physically pre-determined, patterned, repetitive or random as one would expect if they were derived by undirected processes, such as those postulated by gradual Evolution.

There are about 3 billion base pairs in the Human Genome and their sequences are observed to be tightly specified.
    For example, according to the head of the National Genome Research Institute (USA) a SINGLE misplaced ‘letter’ on the gene known as Lamin A or LMNA will cause Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria Syndrome (HGPS). The substitution of ONE Thiamine with ONE Cytosine in ONE gene out of 3 BILLION base pairs causes this terrible premature ageing syndrome – where unfortunate sufferers only live to an average age of 13 years old.

Scofflaw
    My DNA is very different to yours. My DNA is very very different to a mountain lion.

Your critical DNA sequences are IDENTICAL to mine – and your other DNA sequences are also very similar to mine.

Your DNA is indeed very different to a Mountain Lion – and that is why you don’t pee on trees, walk on all-fours or have dense brown hair all over your body!!!:eek: :D:D

Scofflaw
    Interesting that OEC's/Theistic Evolutionists do seem to have their own peer-reviewed journals, and their own scientific associations,

Creation Scientists ALSO publish their own peer-reviewed Journals (like the TJ or Technical Journal published by Answers in Genesis and they have their own Scientific Associations like the Creation Science Center.

The following is a list of a few Creationist Organisations:-
    World By Design
    Creation Information Ministries
    Penn State University Origins Club
    Triangle Association for Scientific Creation
    Creation Studies Institute
    Creation Discovery Project
    Van Andel Creation Research Center
    Origins Resource Association
    God and Science
    Rocky Mountain Creation Fellowship
    Creation Digest
    UCSD Idea Club Links
    Oklahoma Creation Science Fellowship
    Korean Association for Creation Research
    Creation Science Association of Saskatchewan
    The Young Earth Creation Club
    Association of Christian Astronomers
    Creationissme (French Language) Creation Science Association Quebec
    Mt. Blanco Fossil Museum
    The True Origin Archive
    Creation Studies Institute
    Alpha Omega Institute
    Absolute Real Knowledge For You
    NPC Company
    The California Institute of Omniology
    The Discovery Team
    Creation-Science Clubs:
    Bible Science Association
    Creation Science Association Alberta
    Nature of Creation: Mission Imperative
    Black Hills Creation Science Association
    Ex Nilo TV Program
    Midwest Creation Fellowship
    Creation On-Line Course
    Creation Science Center
    Darwin is Dead
    Creationism.org
    Origins Resource Association of SW Louisiana
    East Tennessee Creation-Science Association

Polish Creation Society
    Associação Brasileira de Pesquisa da Criação
    Remnant Publishing (Japan)
    Australian Creation Research
    Creation Science Organization Germany (
    Biblical Creation Society - U.K.
    Creation Discovery Project
    Creation and the Early Church (UK) - Robert I. Bradshaw
    Creation Resources Trust (UK)
    Grupo Internacional de Científicos Creacionistas
    Southwest Australia University Origins
    GENESIS MAGAZINE (Sweden)
    Center for Natural Studies (Yugoslavia)
    Creation Science Movement (UK)
    Biblical Creation Society (UK)
    Hungarian Christian Scientific Society

Scofflaw
    The "Big Cat Kind" that there is no evidence ever existed and that you just made up for the hell of it.

A debate exists amongst Creation Scientists over whether there was one, two or three original Cat Kinds – further research should answer the question definitively.

The issues in classifying Created Kinds are discussed here:-

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v22/i3/ligers_wolphins.asp
    ...... :D:Dbanghead.gif

J C wrote:
    A debate exists amongst Creation Scientists over whether there was one, two or three original Cat Kinds – further research should answer the question definitively.

The issues in classifying Created Kinds are discussed here:-

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v22/i3/ligers_wolphins.asp

I'm not quite sure what the point of debating the specifics of made up imaginary animals is JC?

I mean what is the difference if Creationists make up one or two or three Cat Kinds. There is still no evidence they existed, or genetic evidence in modern cats to suggest they did. In fact the genetics of modern cats tell us it is impossible they did. So didn't exist, be they one or two or three kinds.

And the fact that some modern animals have a greater number of chromosones (horses) than animals of the same "kind" we know were around at the time of the flood (zebras) proves that the Creationist idea is nonsense. Unless animals can grow extra chromosones now JC, which you claimed before was impossible

The flood didn't happen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> A debate exists amongst Creation Scientists over whether there was one,
    > two or three original Cat Kinds – further research should answer the
    > question definitively.

I trust they're reading their NIV bibles as fast as they can to find the answer! I'd hate to think they'd have to get up from their tots and walk into an ikky forest or a horrible lab to do any genuine research!

J C wrote:
    Yes, there are tolerances 'built in' as well as back-up systems to correct gene errors - but all of these systems are further evidence of Intelligent Design. :eek: :D
    No they aren't, because they would not be required if the system was perfectly designed. They are strong evidence against the idea that a perfect intelligence built us. Unless you are implying that God made us imprefect for some reason?
    J C wrote:
    So is salt, according to the Creationist definition of "specified"
    J C wrote:
    These instructions are highly specific, even one nucleotide misplaced along a critical sequence can have catastrophic consequences for the organism.
    If one salt molecule is out of place the salt crystal will lose 99% of its strength. Is salt intelligently designed?
    J C wrote:
    There are about 3 billion base pairs in the Human Genome and their sequences are observed to be tightly specified.
    Again, so is a salt crystal, by the Creationist definition of "specified".

Is salt intelligently designed.
    J C wrote:
    Your DNA is indeed very different to a Mountain Lion – and that is why you don’t pee on trees, walk on all-fours or have dense brown hair all over your body!!!:eek: :D:D
    I know. So there are in fact a ton of different ways that DNA can be structured that still function perfectly fine.

Going back the card shuffle analogy, you do not know how many of the different card decks will function, just like you don't know how many of the different ways life could have sprug together. You assume that there is only one way. But there could have been billions of different ways life could have developed. You just think the way it did actually develop is some how special, the only possible way, because you aren't used to thinking about things in a scientific fashion.
    J C wrote:
    Creation Scientists ALSO publish their own peer-reviewed
    It isn't peer reviewed if everyone who reads your work agrees with your premiss before they start reading :rolleyes:

wolfsbane wrote:
    Scofflaw said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say I was inspired by the Devil?

confused,
    Scofflaw

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    First, every amino acid is coded for by several DNA base sequences, so there's some tolerance built in. Second, most proteins have a degree of tolerance in their struture - in particular, you can change almost everything about an enzyme except for the active site(s) without any effect. Third, most of us have at least two copies of most genes. Fourth, most phenotypic factors are controlled by multiple genes. Fifth, most biochemical pathways have a degree of tolerance built in as well.
    We are, in fact, loosely specified.

Now, we can't have it both ways, can we? Either God can do a good enough job that our genes need no such mechanisms, or the effects of the Fall mean that our genetics are imperfect - in which case we need these mechanisms, but I can't see where you are going to claim they came from.
    J C wrote:

By 'specified', what do you mean exactly? Do you mean in the sense that what we are is specified by our blueprints (genetics)?

Hmm. By 'tightly', do you mean 99% specified? 99.999% specified ('three nines' in business parlance)? 99.99999% (or 'five nines', as they say). I ask because these are the sorts of things that are 'tightly specified' in design contracts - as adherence to the original blue print.

Is it important that the phenotype expresses the genotype 'tightly', or does that not enter into the picture?

By comparison to engineering projects, I think you'll find that we are actually quite loosely specified, assuming the words have the meanings above (indeed, I am assuming quite charitably that they have any intrinsic meaning at all).
    J C wrote:
    Genetic information is the specific instructions necessary to produce a living organism as found in the DNA of the cells of that organism.

They are also NOT chemically / physically pre-determined, patterned, repetitive or random as one would expect if they were derived by undirected processes, such as those postulated by gradual Evolution.

Well, the change of one nucleotide can have such an effect, in certain cases such as the one you have given (HGPS). On the other hand, it can have no effect whatsoever. On yet another hand, it can result in the production, by mutation, of an enzyme that suddenly allows for the digestion of nylon.
    J C wrote:

Well, you see, this kind of thing only makes sense if there is a blueprint for the human genome. Such a thing is not known of, so I can only assume that you are saying 'tightly specified' by reference to God's blueprint. Of course, we cannot, in that case, "observe" the genome to be "tightly specified", because we don't have access to God's blueprint.
    J C wrote:
    For example, according to the head of the National Genome Research Institute (USA) a SINGLE misplaced ‘letter’ on the gene known as Lamin A or LMNA will cause Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria Syndrome (HGPS). The substitution of ONE Thiamine with ONE Cytosine in ONE gene out of 3 BILLION base pairs causes this terrible premature ageing syndrome – where unfortunate sufferers only live to an average age of 13 years old.

Ooh. Dramatic! Actually, all of us carry all kinds of misplaced nucleotides without anything dramatic happening.
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight, misquoted by JC as Scofflaw
    My DNA is very different to yours. My DNA is very very different to a mountain lion.

Your critical DNA sequences are IDENTICAL to mine – and your other DNA sequences are also very similar to mine.

Indeed, most of our critical sequences are the same as a chimpanzee's.
    J C wrote:

Now, you don't know that.

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    Interesting that OEC's/Theistic Evolutionists do seem to have their own peer-reviewed journals, and their own scientific associations,

Creation Scientists ALSO publish their own peer-reviewed Journals (like the TJ or Technical Journal published by Answers in Genesis and they have their own Scientific Associations like the Creation Science Center.

Let's take a look at a couple of these organisations that we haven't already looked at:
    • East Tennessee Creation-Science Association - " MISSION: 1. To present at regular events (meetings) the truths of Creation as revealed in the Holy Scriptures and confirmed by scientific evidence."
    • Grupo Internacional de Científicos Creacionistas - "Creationist videos & preaching techniques"
    • GENESIS MAGAZINE (Sweden) -""an all christian association, furthering the spreading of books, brochures and other information supporting the faith in creation.""
    • Center for Natural Studies (Yugoslavia) -"Center for Natural Studies is unprofitable, non-religion or political organisation, established with the purpose to promote scientific justification of the biblical concept of creation" - on a brief side-note, Yugoslavia no longer exists.
    • Creation Science Movement (UK) -"CSM provides able speakers on Creation who major on the scientific evidence which is increasingly weighty."
    • Biblical Creation Society (UK) - "The Creation Manifesto has been drawn up by the Biblical Creation Society in order to present systematically the consequences and implications of the account of the origin of the cosmos in Genesis. The purpose of the document is not to make an exhaustive statement about creation. It is rather to state what we consider to be the irreducible minimum that we can accept on the subject and continue to be faithful to the Word of God."
    • Hungarian Christian Scientific Society - "Their activity includes giving lectures, pursuing missionary work and maintaining an online bookstore of creationist works. "

In other words, all of these are preaching organisations dedicated to spreading the confused word of Creationism. They are not scientific associations or research bodies, despite their grandiose names.

F- Must try harder.
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight, misquoted by JC as Scofflaw
    The "Big Cat Kind" that there is no evidence ever existed and that you just made up for the hell of it.

JC, there is no evidence that scientific research has been done here. All this "research" you keep pompously referring to is nothing but literature searches and essay-writing - undergraduate stuff.

Of course, we have no evidence that you're aware that there's a difference. Or indeed that any Creationist does.

I deride your ability to think,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

For all our creationists friends, when roughly did the flood occur?

JC, how does the Creationist model of cosmology account for electroweak symmetry breaking?

Originally Posted by J C
    Yes, there are tolerances 'built in' as well as back-up systems to correct gene errors - but all of these systems are further evidence of Intelligent Design.

Wicknight
    No they aren't, because they would not be required if the system was perfectly designed. They are strong evidence against the idea that a perfect intelligence built us. Unless you are implying that God made us imprefect for some reason?

Intelligently Designed computer systems have Intelligently Designed back-up and auto repair systems. Living systems have analogous INTELLIGENTLY DESIGNED systems as well.
    Both computer and living systems correctly anticipate the emergence of imperfections/problems due to the operation of the Laws of Thermodynamics.:cool: :cool:

Scofflaw
    Now, we can't have it both ways, can we? Either God can do a good enough job that our genes need no such mechanisms, or the effects of the Fall mean that our genetics are imperfect - in which case we need these mechanisms, but I can't see where you are going to claim they came from.

You have actually answered your own question!!!:)

A perfect Creator WOULD design back-up repair systems that anticipated the need for such mechanisms after the Fall. These systems ARE evidence for an omniscient Intelligent Designer and Creator God.:cool: :cool:

The Evolutionists are the ones with the difficulty explaining how comprehensive back-up systems could arise that have no short-term survival benefits and are only expressed (for NS to select them) very rarely.:eek: :D

…..and I am not the ONLY one who is saying this – here, for example is a (growing) list of HUNDREDS of eminent conventional scientists who have ‘gone public’ with their dissent from Darwinism

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?command=download&id=660

I feel a paradigm Shift coming on!!!!:D ;)

Originally Posted by J C
    Your DNA is indeed very different to a Mountain Lion – and that is why you don’t pee on trees, walk on all-fours or have dense brown hair all over your body!!!

Scofflaw
    Now, you don't know that

Fair point.

So DO you pee on trees, walk on all-fours or have dense brown hair all over your body?:eek: :confused:

Scofflaw
    all of these are preaching organisations dedicated to spreading the confused word of Creationism. They are not scientific associations or research bodies, despite their grandiose names

I did say that they were Creationist Organisations – some are Bible-based Ministries with an interest in Creation Science while others are Creation Science Associations. :cool: :D
    .......banghead.gif

• Advertisement

J C wrote:
    Intelligently Designed computer systems have Intelligently Designed back-up and auto repair systems.
    JC I'm a software programmer, and I can assure you I am not a perfect being, despite what the ladies may tell you :p

Computer systems have backup and auto repair systems to compensate for the mistakes that a programmer or hardware developer will make during the design and implimentation phase.

Are you saying the God designed us imprefectly, or that He was unable to predict any future problems what we may have?

That wouldn't make any sense. THerefore the fact that we do have these systems in us proves that we were not designed by a perfect intelligence, because if we were we would not need them in the first place.

To claim that he is compensating for the effects of the Fall would be ridiculous. YOu are claiming that could would not know what the effects of the Fall would be, so He would have to build a very general back up system rather than just address the effects of the Fall.

You are basically claiming God is stupid. Is there not a law against that in your religion?

So you can claim we were intelligently designed, but it wasn't by a god. That option has been ruled out, unless one wants to claim God was either stupid, or did not know what the effects of the Fall would be on humanity.
    J C wrote:
    Living systems have analogous INTELLIGENTLY DESIGNED systems as well.
    They don't have prefectly designed systems, we have systems that by there very nature can and will fail even without external interference, as this example has shown, So the designer (if there was one) wasn't perfect, and realised they were not perfect and could not know everything so they built backup systems, just as the imprefect computer scientists do today with imprefect computer systems.

The rules out God as the designer.

I suppose we are left with intelligent aliens.

Son Goku
    JC, how does the Creationist model of cosmology account for electroweak symmetry breaking?

The Big Bang Model claims that EVERYTHING is a result of NOTHING exploding!!!!

How does such a Model account for ANYTHING (including electroweak symmetry breaking)?:eek: :confused:

BTW the Anderson-Higgs Mechanism, was originally proposed by the British physicist Peter Higgs, as a mechanism to give mass to elementary particles in particle physics. It does so ingeniously (and speculatively), by for example, making the W boson different from the photon.

Actually, the Anderson-Higgs Mechanism was anticipated by Ernst Stückelberg as far back as the 1950’s. The breakthrough of Higgs was to give mass to a vector boson, by coupling it to a scalar field.
    Electro weak symmetry breaking does provide a speculative explanation for how Electro-magnetism and the Weak Nuclear Force arose - and that's about it!! :D :cool:

J C wrote:
    The Big Bang Model claims that EVERYTHING is a result of NOTHING exploding!!!!
    No it doesn't JC.

I see your understanding of that theory is as bad as your understanding of evolutionary theory.

J C wrote:
    Although somewhat speculative, electro weak symmetry breaking does provide an explanation for strong interactions. :cool:
    What?

Electroweak symmetry breaking, which explains how the electroweak force seperated into the electromagnetic force and weak nuclear force, explains the strong interaction?

What are you taking about?

Electroweak symmetry breaking is about Electromagnetism and the Weak force, the Strong Force is the force it has nothing to do with.

What are you talking about?
    You have misunderstood the wikipedia page you ripped that off.

Symmetry breaking, in general, is applied to the Strong Force. Electroweak, i.e. Higgs, symmetry breaking isn't.
    Actually, the Anderson-Higgs Mechanism was anticipated by Ernst Stückelberg as far back as the 1950’s.
    Yes, Stückelburg had extensive insight into QFT. So what?
    vector boson
    What's a vector boson JC?
    It does so ingeniously (and speculatively), by for example, making the W boson different from the photon.
    How does it make it different from a photon?
    How does such a Model account for ANYTHING (including electroweak symmetry breaking)?
    You still haven't answered my question, how does the Creationist model account for it? I'm not going to bother answering you until you answer me first.

I know how QFT works, you do not. I don't need any history lessons or factoids about Stückelberg, I asked a question and I expect an answer.

Do not dodge this like you did last time.

How does the Creationist model account for electroweak symmetry breaking?

J C wrote:
    …..and I am not the ONLY one who is saying this – here, for example is a (growing) list of HUNDREDS of eminent conventional scientists who have ‘gone public’ with their dissent from Darwinism

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?command=download&id=660

I feel a paradigm Shift coming on!!!!

Very briefly - the linked document demonstrates a number of interesting features:

1. nearly everyone on the list is American
    2. the majority simply have PhD degrees, and it's difficult to see what "authority" a PhD confirms!
    3. those who are reasonably eminent demonstrate that Creationists are not prevented from reaching positions of influence, as is so often claimed

most of all:

4. it shows you can get all of them into a single 15-page document - even when the listed is padded with PhD's and dead people, and has a big fancy border.

I 'm prepared to bet that all the living Creationist scientists would fit into the Ark...

amused,
    again,
    Scofflaw

Why are none of the world's top 300 universities on that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hundreds of scientists, though. That must be what...ummm...to the nearest percentage of the world total....hmmm.....I make it to be 0%.

Impressive. I'm impressed. More - I'm convinced.

bonkey wrote:
    Hundreds of scientists, though. That must be what...ummm...to the nearest percentage of the world total....hmmm.....I make it to be 0%.

Impressive. I'm impressed. More - I'm convinced.

I think we once (generously) estimated it to be 0.0001% of US scientists, and less than that worldwide, excluding all the dead people. The figure has been rejected, but never refuted.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Scofflaw wrote:
    ...the majority simply have PhD degrees, and it's difficult to see what "authority" a PhD confirms!

I was asked by a postdoc the other day (in their late 20s I might add) how to attach a file to an email. So just because someone has a PhD doesn't mean that they are some sort of supreme infalliable expert in anything.

• Advertisement

Wicknight
    Computer systems have backup and auto repair systems to compensate for the mistakes that a programmer or hardware developer will make during the design and implimentation phase.

Are you saying the God designed us imprefectly, or that He was unable to predict any future problems what we may have?

Computer systems ALSO have backup and auto repair systems to repair the mistakes of the USER as well as combating ‘environmental impactors’ such as viruses, power failures, etc.

Creationists believe that this aspect of computer back-up and auto repair systems is analogous to God’s Creation of life i.e. God Created life fully developed and perfect – and He provided the back-up mechanisms in anticipation of the ‘environmental impactors’ which would result from The Fall.:)

Wicknight
    Are you saying the God designed us imprefectly

Certainly not – Creationists believe that God designed and Created all life PERFECTLY.

Theistic Evolutionists seem to believe that God originally created simple, imperfect life-forms and gradually perfected/developed them over billions of years using Evolution!!!!:eek: :D:D

Wicknight
    To claim that he is compensating for the effects of the Fall would be ridiculous. YOu are claiming that could would not know what the effects of the Fall would be, so He would have to build a very general back up system rather than just address the effects of the Fall.

God wasn’t COMPENSATING for the effects of The Fall in providing auto repair and back-up living systems – He was ANTICIPATING their effects.

God actually COMPENSATED for the effects of The Fall through the perfect atonement of Jesus Christ on the cross.

ALL life therefore benefits from God’s ANTICIPATION of The Fall through genetic back-up systems – but only Christians benefit from God’s COMPENSATION for The Fall through being saved by the blood of Jesus Christ.:cool: :cool:

Wicknight
    You are basically claiming God is stupid. Is there not a law against that in your religion?

All Christians live under the unmerited Grace and love of God – the unsaved continue under the Law of God and His justice.

As Christians don't live under God's Law, they therefore have no law against calling God stupid – but their love and respect for God means that they don’t do so.!!!

Wicknight
    The rules out God as the designer.

I suppose we are left with intelligent aliens.

Ah, but who Intelligently Designed your putative ‘Intelligent Aliens’ ???:confused::D:D
    .......banghead.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement