Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

robindch wrote:
    > [wolfsbane] I've 'opted out' primarily because JC was best qualified to do to as he is
    > doing, spanking evolutionist ass and pointing them in the right direction.

Out of interest, in reading JC's replies (which I assume you do from time to time), does JC come across to you as somebody with a firm grasp of techincal detail, a talent for clear and unambiguous writing and a willingness to answer questions honestly and completely?

The phrase "blind leading the blind" springs to mind .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Es facil.

God exists outside of time and space. He says it quite nicely when He tells us His name through Moses: I AM.

At some point, God created the universe and thereby time and space.

That's what I love about God - so terse, so subtle, yet so apparently blindingly obvious.

I'm often surprised by the loquacity and circumlocutions employed by, say, physicists. All that equationary stuff, when all they need to say is "IT IS", and in next to no time, someone will have worked out that they meant that the equations of physics are generally time-symmetric, together with a terrific implied proof.

No, wait, I may be confusing poetic allegory with science. Easy mistake to make. Apparently.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    Lazare said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I know what you mean. Evolution is a remarkable tale - the ascent of matter from mere molecules to near god-like intelligence, while at the same time the universe heads in the opposite direction, on the slope of entropy towards its heat-death.

Correct. The latter powers the former - the former contributes to the latter. We degrade the Universe to provide our own organisation.

It's not a difficult concept - local organisation is powered by an increase in general disorganisation. To do work, we turn complex chemicals (petroleum) into simpler chemicals (carbon dioxide and water). We can thereby make, for example, a building, which is organised. There's no mystery to it, and the overall slide of the Universe towards heat death is thereby hastened.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Due to your faulty grasp of theology, your logic failed, and so this conclusion also bites the dust - a suitable end for all that opposes God's rule in creation.
    Blimey. Opposing God's rule in Creation, eh? Well, I'm up for that, then.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I've 'opted out' primarily because JC was best qualified to do to as he is doing, spanking evolutionist ass and pointing them in the right direction.

You may be laughing, but believe me, I am laughing much more. I fear JC is not even 'prodding evolutionist buttock' at this stage...he may well be doing something to/with his own ass, but I wouldn't care to speculate.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Wicknight wrote:
    The phrase "blind leading the blind" springs to mind .... :rolleyes:

The insane leading the deluded over the cliffs of fantasy into the waters of incoherency?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

robindch wrote:
    > [wolfsbane] I've 'opted out' primarily because JC was best qualified to do to as he is
    > doing, spanking evolutionist ass and pointing them in the right direction.

Out of interest, in reading JC's replies (which I assume you do from time to time), does JC come across to you as somebody with a firm grasp of techincal detail, a talent for clear and unambiguous writing and a willingness to answer questions honestly and completely?

Firm grasp of technical detail? Firm grasp of technical detail? Firm grasp of technical detail? Firm grasp of technical detail? Firm grasp of technical detail? Detail technical of grasp firm?

Hmm.

No.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Es facil.

God exists outside of time and space. He says it quite nicely when He tells us His name through Moses: I AM.

Then what came before god? And if nothing came before god, then why does something have to come before time and the universe?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Evolution is a remarkable tale - the ascent of matter from mere molecules to
    > near god-like intelligence, while at the same time the universe heads in the
    > opposite direction, on the slope of entropy towards its heat-death.

Crumbs, can't believe I missed this weeks' reminding of a creationist that EVOLUTION DOES NOT DESCRIBE ABIOGENESIS. EVOLUTION can be thought of as DIFFERENTIAL REPRODUCTIVE SUCCESS, ie, how things change over time, once they've got going.

And don't forget that if creationists understanding of the Second Law were correct, "tightly specified" salt crystals wouldn't form. Or sugar. Or any kind of molecule. Or, in fact, anything at all except for a uniformly bland elemental soup. Seems they may believe that their deity created the Second Law, then spent some time a few thousand years ago bypassing it. Weird.

> Then what came before god? And if nothing came before god, then why
    > does something have to come before time and the universe?

That's the creationist's epistemological Escape-Hatch(tm): Rules which are rigorously (if ineptly) applied to scientists -- things like a clear chain of causation, logic, reason, honesty etc -- don't have to apply to creationists at all, at all.

It's a bit like trying to play a game of cards with somebody who allows themselves to cheat all the time, in case they might lose if they stuck to the rules they want the other side to stick to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I suspect that the answer is because god is all-powerful and uber-cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭IFX

Es facil.

Does he exist outside the Electromagnetic Wave spectrum aswell?

• Advertisement

robindch wrote:
    That's the creationist's epistemological Escape-Hatch(tm): Rules which are rigorously (if ineptly) applied to scientists -- things like a clear chain of causation, logic, reason, honesty etc -- don't have to apply to creationists at all, at all.

True, which is why if you get someone like JC who is not actually interested in discovering truth, only interested in sticking to his religious dogma, arguing with him is ultimately pointless because religious folk like him, or wolfsbane, or even BC aways have the "get out of jail free card" that they can simply claim God can do anything he likes. They don't have to provide evidence or logic for their claims because God does not have to act logically nor does He have to provide evidence.

JC or wolfsbane can simply make anything they like up (for example The Fall being the reason why life is clearly not perfect) and claim that this is true. Any argument is ignored because of their claim that God made it so, so they don't need logic, reason or evidence to support their claim. And in their mind no logic evidence or rational can invalidate their claim because God does not have to follow logic, he can fake evidence, and he can change things anytime he likes.

If something does not fit (imperfections in life, distance of galaxies, speed of light, electromatic background radiation) that doesn't matter because God can do anything he likes, and as such can be faking all these things.

So ultimately there is no logic or rational to the universe if God exists.

There are no rules, no fixed laws, and ultimately any attempt to study the universe, or attempt to rule certain things out as not being true, is pointless since God could have changed everything yesterday or change everything tomorrow and there is no way to argue that he didn't or won't.

Which is why it is so silly for religious folk to attempt to fit their religoius dogma around scientific theories using such absurdities such as "Intelligent Design" or "Creation Science"

If God exists there is little point in studying anything scientifically at all ever. The universe just disolves into one absurdity after the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Wicknight wrote:

No, the Bible is the literal word of God. Genesis is not a metaphor remember.

Oh wicknight!!:eek: Sometimes you worry me, my friend.

The history within Genesis is literal. The lessons to be learned can be and are metaphor and illustrations. It is a rather large book that includes different genres of literature.

DaveMcG wrote:

I don't get how god could be eternally existent yet the universe couldn't be...... no comprendo!

The universe is a physical entity that is running down. God created it. There will be a new one tha will not run down. One that will be permanent. And you can live there if you like.

God is outside of physical time and space. The universe is time and space.

DaveMcG wrote:
    Then what came before god? And if nothing came before god, then why does something have to come before time and the universe?

Nothing came before God. God has to be in order to create the universe. I still don't buy 'first there was nothing and then it exploded' theory.

I like first there was God, who created everything out of love, to give life to us. We just blow it by ignoring Him.

IFX wrote:
    Does he exist outside the Electromagnetic Wave spectrum aswell?

Yes, He created it.

Wicknight wrote:

If God exists there is little point in studying anything scientifically at all ever. The universe just disolves into one absurdity after the next.

Sure there is reason to study science. We are curious as to how things work. The problem with science is they assume that there is no God affecting the universe and attempt to explain everything outside of Him.

To only hear a scientist say: God created _________ in a way that it does _________.

> I still don't buy 'first there was nothing and then it exploded' theory. [...]
    > The problem with science is they assume that there is no God affecting the
    > universe and attempt to explain everything outside of Him.

Have you forgotten that we spent some time trying to explain how and where these two understandings are wrong?

I think I should summarise this frustrating aspect of talking with creationists. Here's what happens:

Creationist: I don't like science/evolution/gravity/etc because it says X.
    Knowledgable person: It doesn't say X, because X is bad science. It's actually says something closer to Y. Here's how it works... <etc>
    Creationist: Oh, thanks for taking the time to explain that. I understand it now!(*)

[time passes]

Creationist: I don't like science/evolution/gravity/etc because it says X.
    Knowledgable person: <Shakes head, goes off and has a cup of tea>

(*) I wish...

Oh wicknight!!:eek: Sometimes you worry me, my friend.

The history within Genesis is literal. The lessons to be learned can be and are metaphor and illustrations. It is a rather large book that includes different genres of literature.

Well no offence, but that is oft seen by those looking in as nothing more than -

The Bible is literal when we need it to be, and metephor when we want it to be

So anyone trying to discuss something with a Christian using the Bible as a reference is basically banging their head against the wall, because there is little or no consistency in how the Christian chooses to interpret the Bible.

Again it is another "Get out of jail" card. If a critic discovers an obvious flaw or contradiction in the Bible all the Christian needs to is shift from literal mode to metephor mode. "Oh, no that bit isn't supposed to be taken literally"

Sure there is reason to study science. We are curious as to how things work.

But that is the point. Things don't work (if there is a God who interacts with our universe), they just do what God wants them to do and this can change at any point in space time.

Therefore their are no rules or natural laws, there is just what God wants everything to do at any given point. Causality, cause and effect, become meaningless. There is absolutely no reason at all to believe that say the speed of light will be the same tomorrow as it is today. God can change this at any time. Likewise with all the natural laws and measurements. God could change gravity tomorrow.

As a famous scientist (can't remember who, it was on Horizon a few years back) said if God exists He is the only law of nature. All other laws become meaningless. Instead of "X will do Y if C" you are left with the absurd "X will do Y if C unless God decides otherwise".

If one accepts the idea of an interactive god, studying science becomes as pointless as trying to figuring out the order or pattern of a toddler playing in a sand pit.
    The problem with science is they assume that there is no God affecting the universe and attempt to explain everything outside of Him.
    That is because a God affecting the universe has never been observed, and the universe works quite well without Him.

The fact that we don't find "X will do Y if C unless God decides otherwise" when we study the universe implies either two things

1 - God doesn't exist
    2 - If God does exist He does not alter the physical laws of the universe

Either way science can safely ignore the "unless God decides otherwise" clause in theories because God clearly isn't deciding otherwise (or of course He doesn't exist).

God is irrelivent to science.

He either doesn't exist, or is not altering the nature of reality, so there is no need to build Him into the models science uses to understand the universe.

I still don't buy 'first there was nothing and then it exploded' theory.

No one buys that "theory".

It was "invented" by Creationists based on a lack of understanding of what the actual Big Bang theory is, in an effort to discredit main stream science.

It would be a bit like me stating "I don't accept the common Christian belief that Satan is more powerful than God" The obvious response from Christians would be "Er, we don't believe that"

But as Robin points out being wrong or mis-representing the theories of science never seemed to bother Creationists, even after the mistakes are pointed out.

JC is still rabiting on about the improbablity that a protein would just randomly form, despite the fact that there is no theory of neo-Darwin evolution that puts forward that a protein does just randomly form.

This has been pointed out the JC more times than I care to remember, yet every few days it pops up again.

Which only reaffirms the commonly held opinion amoung the scientific community (and those here) that Creation Science is far more about spreading propaganda and lies about science and evolution, than actual science itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

The universe is time and space.
    Why does that mean it needs to be created?

Also more correctly, time and space are fields which live "on" the universe, just like the electric field. (Yes, this is very abstract, but that is how abstract science has become, you can't substitue personal intuition.)

The universe itself is completely atemporal, something which has been demonstrated again and again with the experimental sucess of General Relativity.

I fail to see why it needs to be created.
    I still don't buy 'first there was nothing and then it exploded' theory.
    The one thing I can't understand is how many times we need to repeat this.

Such a statement does not exist in modern science, stop acting as if a well tested theory makes that statement, it does not.

We have said this a million times, why do you, JC and wolfsbane keep saying it?
    Sure there is reason to study science. We are curious as to how things work. The problem with science is they assume that there is no God affecting the universe and attempt to explain everything outside of Him.
    Well guess what? It has worked so far. Enjoy that computer you're sitting at.

Also I fail to understand how you and wolfsbane consider JC to make even grammatical sense occasionally.
    Several times he has responded to posts with copy and paste jobs from some online encyclopaedia with his own sentences tacked on. I fail to understand how you guys think that is even moderately coherent.
    Or remember that response to Wicknight about Lions eating faeces, seriously what was that about?

Although sure, whatever, it doesn't matter. We're just a bunch of lesbo-nazi-evolutionist dogmatists, it doesn't matter what we say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pff Son_Goku, don't you know god did it.

Son Goku wrote:

I fail to see why it needs to be created..

Even q quick read of Big Bang scientific sites tells you that there was a beginning of the universe with absolutely no idea of what came before.

We will tell you here and now though that God came before.

Son Goku wrote:
    We have said this a million times, why do you, JC and wolfsbane keep saying it?.

Because you have failed in answering it. A quick check of scientific sites when talking about the Big Bang will tell you
    that what was before isn't known. So we will conclude that there was nothing. Then all of a sudden there was something, within a quick second a singularity exploded. Well, where did that singularity come from. Not one of the sites I peeked at answered that question. So guess what, it doesn't matter who coined the phrase nor whether or not you like it.

There was nothing, then out of nowhere appears this singularity that contains all this energy and matter that becomes the whole universe and everything in it.
    Son Goku wrote:
    Well guess what? It has worked so far. Enjoy that computer you're sitting at..

God has nothing whatsoever to do with my computer, only that He created the physical properties, man discovered how to harness those properties and put it together. Quite different than examining the beginning of the universe and our purpose for being.

Even alll the sites on the Big Bang that I perused all stated that WE DONT KNOW what things where like before the singularity. That is where God fits, and that is where science chooses to ignore the possibility of an existent God who started the whole thing. When they admit that they don't know.
    Son Goku wrote:

Although sure, whatever, it doesn't matter. We're just a bunch of lesbo-nazi-evolutionist dogmatists, it doesn't matter what we say.

C'mon Son Goku, nobody has ever accused you of being that, nor has anyone else been accused of it.

I don't know about your sexual orientation, I don't believe you would be a nazi.

Evolutionary - yes.
    Dogmatic on the topic - absolutely.

From a NASA site:
    http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/universe/b_bang.html

Although the Big Bang Theory is widely accepted, it probably will never be proved; consequentially, leaving a number of tough, unanswered questions.

University of Michigan
    http://www.umich.edu/%7Egs265/bigbang.htm

About 15 billion years ago a tremendous explosion started the expansion of the universe. This explosion is known as the Big Bang. At the point of this event all of the matter and energy of space was contained at one point. What exisisted prior to this event is completely unknown and is a matter of pure speculation. This occurance was not a conventional explosion but rather an event filling all of space with all of the particles of the embryonic universe rushing away from each other. The Big Bang actually consisted of an explosion of space within itself unlike an explosion of a bomb were fragments are thrown outward. The galaxies were not all clumped together, but rather the Big Bang lay the foundations for the universe.

University of Chicago Physicists
    http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/big_bang_041027.html

The duo wondered why time flows in only one direction, and whether the Big Bang -- a theory that has not been proven -- arose from an energy fluctuation in empty space that conforms to the known laws of physics.

Even q quick read of Big Bang scientific sites tells you that there was a beginning of the universe with absolutely no idea of what came before.

We will tell you here and now though that God came before.
    That answers nothing?
    What are the new dynamics of the Big Bang regime?, was unitary evolution preserved?
    God did it, is a completely useless answer scientifically.
    Because you have failed in answering it. A quick check of scientific sites when talking about the Big Bang will tell you
    that what was before isn't known. So we will conclude that there was nothing. Then all of a sudden there was something, within a quick second a singularity exploded. Well, where did that singularity come from. Not one of the sites I peeked at answered that question. So guess what, it doesn't matter who coined the phrase nor whether or not you like it.
    First of all, why conclude the bit in bold?
    Second of all "Scientific sites" mean nothing.
    This is what means something:
    Arxiv.

The Big Bang theory says we do not know the dynamics of the Planck regime, not the completely watered down "We don't know what happened before".
    First of all "before" does apply in these scenarios, that is the difficulty of the Planck regime.

Second if the Big Bang was causal, which it is not, why would the fact that the theory doesn't explain what happened previous somehow translate into it saying nothing existed before the Big Bang.

It doesn't say that. It says that spacetime, as we currently understand it, is the end result of some Planck regime transition, which occurred roughly 15 billion years ago in terms of local Proper time.

Which is miles away from "There was nothing then it exploded".
    God has nothing whatsoever to do with my computer, only that He created the physical properties, man discovered how to harness those properties and put it together. Quite different than examining the beginning of the universe and our purpose for being.
    Purpose of being? I have no idea what you think science is.
    I don't know about your sexual orientation, I don't believe you would be a nazi.

Evolutionary - yes.
    Dogmatic on the topic - absolutely.
    How am I dogmatic? Explain, instead of just saying it. It's very easy to just call somebody dogmatic.

(Also wolfsbane has actually linked evolution with lesbianism in the past.)

From a NASA site:
    http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/universe/b_bang.html

Although the Big Bang Theory is widely accepted, it probably will never be proved; consequentially, leaving a number of tough, unanswered questions.
    Of course.
    About 15 billion years ago ..... What exisisted prior to this event is completely unknown and is a matter of pure speculation........foundations for the universe.
    Of course.
    The duo wondered why time flows in only one direction, and whether the Big Bang -- a theory that has not been proven -- arose from an energy fluctuation in empty space that conforms to the known laws of physics.
    Of course.

And what? Theories can not be proven and we don't know what occurs at the Planck Regime. So what?

How does any of this support the "There was nothing and then it exploded" interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Wicknight said:
    No, the Bible is the literal word of God. Genesis is not a metaphor remember.
    Brian accurately points out your basic error:Oh wicknight!! Sometimes you worry me, my friend.

God is so in control of the universe that He can use specific literal events as the symbols of even more significant events He has planned for the future. In the Genesis 3 case of man's relationship to snakes, not only has this the literal import, but also the higher spiritual one: the future seed of the woman (Christ) would destroy the spiritual snake (Satan). The children of God (Christians) share in that great promise: Romans 16:20 And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly.
    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

As to making it up, as the above quote indicates, we are merely telling it as Scripture tells it. Here's further proof of the literal history having a higher fulfilment:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians%204:21-31;&version=50;

Is Paul saying Abraham, Sarah, Issac and Ishmael were not literal people? Of course not. Rather, their lives had a metaphoric/symbolic meaning also.
    It doesn't say that at all wolfsbane.
    It says God made man have to work for his food, and that he invented thorns to torment man. Thats it.
    You yourself are making the last bit up. Are we allowed do that with the Bible. Because I take, ummm, Genesis 10.5 to mean that God made evolution.
    It would be very strange for a vast new range of plants being created, given all was said to be created in the first 6 days:
    Genesis 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

The use of already existing material seems the only consistent understanding. Just as the snake was altered, so were the plants that became weeds. And of course, man himself was altered, being subject to sickness and death.

Our interpretation of Scripture is based not on making it say what we want, but seeing what it says in both the text under consideration and the context, and then comparing text with text so that there is a consistent meaning.
    Ok. So the reason why tree trunks sometimes (and only sometimes) block when filtering water through the center, sometimes resulting in stunted growth (therefore demonstrating that while very complex and wonderfully design, the design not perfect and can fail occasionally), is because of the Fall of Man?

What nonsense is that? That isn't in the Bible.

I mean where did this rather ridiculous idea that all life everywhere was altered by the Fall of man come from. It certainly isn't in the Bible.
    Here's a clue:
    Genesis 1:31 Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
    If the processes we now see around us is what very good means, then indeed we would have a problem. But that is not the picture we get from Scripture. The absence of death, sickness and weeds was the creation state. All the imperfections we see at present came after the Fall, after man was thrown out of his perfect home. That's why Paul describes all of creation as being subject to bondage - the apostle Paul, not some Creationist writer.
    Funnly enough it only seems to prop up when Creationists are required to answer why none of the systems of life across the globe are prefect designs, ruling out a perfect designer.
    "Oh well, that was the Fall. You see it effected everything Everything was perfect, but ummm then the Fall of man happened and everything got a little less perfect"
    The response to that is "Umm, no it didn't. That isn't how it is described in the Bible, you are just making that bit up"
    It is your ignorance of what the Bible actually says that is the problem. But we all suffer from that to one degree or another. Now you know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Son Goku said:
    (Also wolfsbane has actually linked evolution with lesbianism in the past.)
    :confused: Perhaps you could point out where. I do not see any direct link between the two. Both are non-Biblical, but so is Islam and many other things that are neither evolutionist nor lesbian. If pressed, I would be so bold as to suggest lesbianism is an indicator against evolution, given its non-survival of species outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Wicknight
    Intelligent Design theory by its very logic rules out God, or gods, as possible designers of life on Earth.

Then, why are the Evolutionists fighting ‘tooth and nail’ to ban the mere mention of Intelligent Design in the schools of America – on the grounds that it promotes a ‘religious worldview’??:confused:

I actually accept, and I have previously pointed out, that ID is ‘neutral’ on the identity of the Designer.
    While ID proponents include Creation Scientists, - Theistic Evolutionists and ‘New Agers’ are also included in the ‘ID camp’ as well. :cool:

Wicknight
    You JC are starting to realise this (scientists have none this for years, which is why they were kinda baffled by the religious fundamentalists championing the theory), and I imagine that yourself and other Creationists will slowly start dropping Intelligent Design as it becomes more obvious that its very nature rules out God.

Creationists will never 'drop' the concept of Intelligent Design – which is a very important proof of Direct Divine Creation.

However, Creationists accept that alternative interpretations for ID including, the belief in ET Aliens as the ‘designers’ do exist.

That is why Creation Science IS a separate discipline from Intelligent Design.

Both Creationists and pure ID proponents recognise and accept their differences on the ‘Origins Question’.
    The only crowd trying to lump them together, up to now, have been the Materialistic Evolutionists!!!!:D :D

Wicknight
    A modern day CPU has approx 42 million transitors in it. In comparison an ant brain has approx 250,000 neurons in it. Clearly the CPU is far far more complex and specificed than the ant brain (which you claim had is a perfect design and had a perfect designer)

You are confusing quantity (42 million transistors) with quality (250,000 neurons). The ant brain is so perfect and so miniaturised that is cannot be constructed artificially – while the CPU obviously can.
    Therefore the ant brain IS far more sophisticated than a CPU – indicating a far more sophisticated Designer!!:D

The ant brain is indeed PERFECTLY DESIGNED for the functions that it performs – and all of the scientists in the World have been unable produce a functioning ant brain, let alone producing any improvements on it!!!

Wicknight
    The ant brain is clearly far from perfect, but it does enough to function, enough for the ant to get by. Could the brain be better designed, more complex and use less energy? Sure.

How?

Wicknight
    In a perfect design you would be converting as much as physically possible to convert into kinetic energy, and as such would be saving the ultimate amount. Engines are a long way off from that goal, but they are getting better designs each year.

That is pretty much how life works. It functions enough to get by, but there still exists waste, inefficency and errors in the design.

Combustion engines are indeed very inefficient with energy efficiencies of about 30% – but living systems AREN’T.
    Respiration and photosynthesis cascades work at almost 100% energy efficiencies!!!!

Wicknight
    The phrase "blind leading the blind" springs to mind ....

Great to see even atheists using sayings originally derived from the Word of God in Lk 6:39 “He also told them this parable; ’Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit?”(NIV).:)

Scofflaw
    That's what I love about God - so terse, so subtle, yet so apparently blindingly obvious.

I'm often surprised by the loquacity and circumlocutions employed by, say, physicists. All that equationary stuff, when all they need to say is "IT IS",

Yes indeed Scofflaw, it is often a very good idea to be still and know that Jesus Christ is Lord - the great I AM.

Scofflaw
    and in next to no time, someone will have worked out that they meant that the equations of physics are generally time-symmetric, together with a terrific implied proof.

This is also a very good idea - using your God-given intelligence, by the way!!:D

Scofflaw
    local organisation is powered by an increase in general disorganisation. To do work, we turn complex chemicals (petroleum) into simpler chemicals (carbon dioxide and water). We can thereby make, for example, a building, which is organised.

But the ONLY WAY that the energy released can be harnessed to make an organised building is with the appliance of intelligence – without an intelligent input, the energy would merely explode or dissipate into the atmosphere without constructing ANY building!!! :D

Scofflaw
    The insane leading the deluded over the cliffs of fantasy into the waters of incoherency

……to eventually reach the conclusion that muck evolved into Man!!!:eek: :D

DaveMcG

God as an eternal, omnipotent and omniscient entity is an ADEQUATE and COMPLETE explanation for the origins of the Universe and all life.

The Big Bang, as a materialistic explanation, ISN’T an adequate or complete explanation – as it begs the questions of what caused it – and where did all of the matter and energy supposedly released by it come from?

The Big Bang itself is also unproven and unprovable - and thus strictly NOT a valid Scientific Theory

Wicknight
    God is irrelivent to science.

He either doesn't exist, or is not altering the nature of reality, so there is no need to build Him into the models science uses to understand the universe.

I actually agree with you on this one.
    Operational science DOESN’T need to build God into any models of how the Universe currently behaves, as God is transcendent and the Universe functions along the immutable Laws which God set in place at Creation.

However, when it comes to the forensic study of the Origins of the Universe, God is very relevant as the leading contender as Creator of the whole thing.

If evolutionists wish to voluntarily confine themselves to constructing Space Shuttles, controlling disease with ‘cutting edge’ vaccines and all of the other great advances of operational science then Creation Scientists will have no further arguments with them.

However, if Evolutionists wish to continue delving into the ‘Origins Question’ then Creationists will reserve the right to challenge their unfounded ideas on how the Universe and all life came into existence – and that is what the debate on this thread has been about!!!!

Wicknight

Actually, as usual, the reverse is true.

If God didn’t exist there would be no reason to suppose that a chaotically constructed Human brain could even think logically or coherently – and all perceived order would be just an illusion.

Equally, in the absence of God, and with only the extinction of the grave facing everybody, the Universe would indeed be one great, enormous, pointless absurdity!!!!!:eek:

Wicknight
    JC is still rabiting on about the improbablity that a protein would just randomly form, despite the fact that there is no theory of neo-Darwin evolution that puts forward that a protein does just randomly form.

This has been pointed out the JC more times than I care to remember, yet every few days it pops up again.

Once again you are incorrect.

My last posting on the matter was in response to Lazare who proffered the often-quoted Evolutionist idea that the odds of life spontaneously appearing are akin to winning the National Lottery every night for a hundred years.

I merely pointed out that the odds of THE SAME PERSON winning the National Lottery twice a week for one hundred years are 10E+72,800 to one – which is a statistical and mathematical IMPOSSIBILITY.

I never mentioned a word about proteins in this post – I merely demonstrated that Evolutionists are as hopeless at mathematics as they are at Biology!!!!:eek: :D

• Advertisement

Son Goku wrote:
    Of course.

Of course.

Of course.

And what? Theories can not be proven and we don't know what occurs at the Planck Regime. So what?

How does any of this support the "There was nothing and then it exploded" interpretation.

The point being, you guys have been arguing for over 3,000 posts that science is the answer to all of our questions, given time. You have argued that the Big Bang is a fact and that it the method by which the universe began.

On a little check of the topic I fine scientists that have probably written peer review papers and the such stste plainly that the Big Bang is nothing but a theory that can never be proven. Science therefore can not answer the question of how we got here. It is nothing but speculation that does not include the existence of a transcendant God.

So why should I listen to you lot speculating on the beginning of the universe that you can't prove happened when I can rely on the testiomony of millions who have experienced and met the living God who wrote the book on it?

if God started it all by utilizing a Big Bang so be it, the point is He did, and He is still there and He continues to affect the lives of those who trust in Him (and also those who don't).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement