Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

JC, that is so ridiculously wrong that I would be appalled if a first year biology student thought that.

Where pray tell did you study, and what?

Do you not understand even, that the chances of evolution happening are 1, wink, and that chance vs something happening is irrelevant after the fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

J C wrote:
    But the number of ACTUAL cell divisions are the ‘raw material’ upon which recombination, errors or mutations act to provide the ‘variety’ for NS to select – and so they are VERY relevant.
    They are VERY relevant to what actual proteins are generated, but as I said not to the question of what proteins it is possible.

You have not demonstarted why you need to physically generate ALL possible combinations of amino acid sequences before you can generate and use just one.

You have not given any reason to back up your original statement that it is actually not possible to generated a specific amino acid sequence.

When you do I might have a clue what your point is, but from where I'm standing all I can see is someone who clearly doesn't understand evolution or probability.
    J C wrote:
    ……and at 4.38E+22 they are an infinitesimally small percentage of the 1E+180 combinations which must be produced IF we are to have any reasonable probability of producing a SPECIFIC functional 100 chain protein.

And.....?

How can you say that the specific 100 chain protein we are talking about isn't one of the trillions that lie inside that "infinitesimally small percentage" of the total 1E+180 proteins?

You seem to be saying that this specific protein would not fall inside the trillions that life would actually have time to generate. I'm rather baffled at how you can state that, since where the specific protien we are talking about falls in the order of creation of protiens is impossible to know.

It is as if I shuffled a pack of cards and laid them out on the table and you said "Nope, that isn't possible, that specific combination of cards should have only come up after you shuffled the cards 400 times, not after you shuffled the cards only once or twice" How could you possibly know that?

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw’s posting on page 173 # 3456 is based on the well publicised Evolutionist argument that, even though the chances of any aspect of life occurring spontaneously is EXCEEDINGLY SMALL, the VASTLY GREATER SIZE of the Universe would still ensure that life would emerge via the Law of Large Numbers due to the 'much greater' size of the Universe relative to the ‘smallness’ of the chances of producing life.

Please look up what the "Law of Large Numbers" actually is JC. The Law of Large numbers states that the chances of a sample average of a population base matching the actual average of a population base increases as the size of the sample increases. Its a very interesting law, but I'm not really following how it applies here?
    J C wrote:
    However, when Scofflaw actually MEASURED how infinitesimally SMALL the chances of even a simple functional protein emerging were (1 to 1E+180) and compared this figure with the fact that the ‘Enormous Universe’ only contains 10E+82 electrons, he should have known that his mathematical exercise was showing Materialistic Evolution to be impossible.

That was exactly the opposite of what Scofflaw showed.

Scofflaw demonstrated quite well that just because the odd of a specific individual sequence is very small that fact is irrelivent unless you are actually looking for that specific sequence. If any sequence will do then the odds of each sequence appearing is largely immateral.

Now I'm not saying that any protien combination will do. If that were the case then life would have developed a lot faster than it did.

But you have failed to show that only one of the 1E+180 will do. In fact trillions of the 1E+180 will do. 2.5 billion years is plenty of time to find out of the 1E+180 possible protiens quite a few that are useful, and quite a few that aren't very useful.
    J C wrote:
    Basically, the problem is that although living systems have the POTENTIAL to more than match the permutations required to ensure the emergence of specific bio chemicals

But they aren't trying to ensure the emergence of specific bio chemicals.

The point you seem to be failing to grasp is that evolution is not aiming for a specific goal. It is not trying to develop specific bio-molecules. It is developing them largely by accident, and then seeing if what it developed is of any use.

It didn't pick in advance protien number 13423289832 out of the 1E+180 and go "Come on lads, we have to generate this protien, I have a suspecion that it will be quite useful"

The way it works was more like this "Umm, protien number 1, is this useful? Nope, ok next protein number 2, is this useful? Nope, ok next protein number 3 is this useful. Yes, ok we will keep this. Ok next protein number 4 is this useful? Nope ok next ...."

The odds of the very first protein are the same as the very last protein, that being 1E+180.

Do this for a billion years and you will only have generated a tiny tiny proportion of the possibel 1E+180 proteins, but you will have still generated more than enough to do some interesting things.

That is how natural selection works. It isn't trying to get to a specific goal, it is simply assessing the suitability of the next random thing that mutation throws up.

By definition all the proteins that have been discovered by life so far fell inside the first part of the 1E+180 possible proteins, that part that life has already managed to generate. There are a second set of non-discovered protein combinations that life probably hasn't got around to even attempting to generate. But that doesn't really matter.

You have not given any reason why your specific proteins have to fall into the second set of so far undiscovered proteins. As such your number of 1E+180 possible proteins is largely pointless, since you haven't proved why your specific protein lies far down the list of possible proteins, or why life would have to first generate all the 1E+180 proteins before it could get to it.
    J C wrote:
    The Law of Big (or Large) Numbers applies to ALL statistics involving large number probabilities whether economic or otherwise.
    The Law of Big Numbers is an economic term, and it is a law in the same way that Moore's Law is a law (ie not really).

It is not the same as the Law of Large Numbers used in statistics, which is an actual law and which describes :-

...how the average of a randomly selected sample from a large population is likely to be close to the average of the whole population.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

Neither are particularly relivent to this discussion.
    J C wrote:
    One of the reasons people take part in the Lotto is to win the jackpot – and on average, every time about 5 million tickets are sold, the statistical Law of Big Numbers means that the jackpot is ‘won’.

Please stop talking nonsense.

There are not 5 million Lotto tickets sold for each draw. The fact that 5 million tickets are sold means nothing unless they are all sold for the same draw, and that they all have individual numbers.

The fact that someone wins the Jackpot every few weeks around the same time as 5 million tickets are sold (approx 1.2 million are sold each draw) are not connected because the odds of the Lotto don't carry over after the draw.

If all 5,245,786 individual numbers for each draw would be bought someone would win each draw. And that isn't the "Law of Large Numbers", that is simply the basis of statistics. And this never happens.
    J C wrote:
    There are 1E+180 possible combinations of nucleotides in the 300-nucleotide stretch of DNA that codes for a 100 chain protein.

Yes but there isn't one possible "winning" sequence. There are trillions. As Scofflaw points out it is rather hard to make a non-functioning protein.
    J C wrote:
    So, how could Evolution ‘win’ this particular ‘lottery’ and produce a useful functional protein?

Easily because there are trillions of winning sequences
    J C wrote:
    There are an only an estimated 50,000 'functional proteins' in a Human Being, with chain lengths up to 27,000 amino acids in very tightly specified sequences.

Well there you go. Out of the trillion or so protein combinations that life has had time to search through in the last billion years or so it has found at least 50,000 functional proteins.

Not bad for a billion years. Give it another billion years and another trillion possible protein sequences life will probably find another 50,000 useful protiens. In the whole 1E+180 set of possible protiens there must be trillions of useful proteins.
    J C wrote:
    Equally, it is observed that ALL functional proteins are tightly specified and in turn they perform highly specific tasks in a closely co-ordinated and tightly integrated manner with other proteins and bio-molecules within the living organism concerned
    That is true, and it is one of the most interesting facts about evolution is that it is a vast parrallel system. Evolution of a specific function does not happen in iosolation, it happens along side countless other evolutionary steps, all effecting each other.
    J C wrote:
    This logically indicates that functional proteins COULDN’T have ANY functionality until ALL of the critical sequence is formed
    Not it doesn't.

This has already been tackled by evolutionary theory, the whole mouse trap analogy. It was being tackled before Creationists even came up with the mouse trap analogy.

The issue is we only see the left over bits, we don't see the processes that existed 100 million years ago that lead to these final bits.

In fact only recently I was reading about research being done into the systems that developed these new functions long ago and then disappeared, leaving only the new functions making it unclear how the new functions could have "just" developed. I will try and dig up the art

Don't worry JC, any "issue" you have with evolution you can be assured that a lot smarter people (a lot smarter) have been working on the problem for years.
    J C wrote:
    There are therefore enormous amounts of ‘useless combinatorial space’ between useful functional proteins and this ‘useless combinatorial space’ is so enormous (even in very short 100 chain proteins) that it would defeat all of the time and resources of the Universe to ‘cross’ it using undirected processes such as mutation and replications errors.

You have a better way for the Universe to be spending its time? :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    If a short meaningful sentence in the English language cannot be generated by random processes

JC you only did it once :rolleyes:

Try getting a trillion people doing it every second for a billion years and see how many English words you manage to randomly generate. Quite a few I would wager. You would probably get a few quite normal sentences too. And this is before you apply natural selection to the process, as Robin has pointed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

JC, that is so ridiculously wrong that I would be appalled if a first year biology student thought that.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever get true to JC, as he already knows he isn't making sense. Like a lot of supposedly trained creationists he posts only to evangelise creationism.

Either that or he **** two ******** **** Prussian *** to all nine of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Not sure why I'm replying to JC, but I don't recall addressing this specific point before:

> If a short meaningful sentence in the English language cannot be generated
    > by random processes

Wrong again.

Meaningful sentences as long as you want can be randomly created by applying 'natural selection' iteratively to initially random sequences of letters, by selectively discarding non-meaningful ones, then mutating and 'breeding' partially meaningful ones. Trying to generate sentences by randomly picking letters is a pointless exercise, as you've been tirelessly showing us since February last year. The two vital additional features that you persistently omit are selection and reproduction.

BTW, natural selection is so powerful as a search method in vast combinatorial or numeric solution spaces, that genetic algorithms are used to solve computational problems where precise solutions are unfeasible -- areas like fluid flow, combustion, scheduling, route-planning and (ironically) protein folding.

I hope this may help you to understand why your "proof" is fallacious.

Son Goku wrote:
    Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever get true to JC, as he already knows he isn't making sense.

Yeah, its funny how we aren't still discussing all the things that he has gotten wrong.

How many posts ago was he claiming that evolution states that mutations can re-generate damaged cells.

He seems to just quietly drop something as soon as it is shown to be nonsense. But you can bet your bottom dollar that it will re-appear in a few days time

Very scientific :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Do you not understand even, that the chances of evolution happening are 1, wink, and that chance vs something happening is irrelevant after the fact?

My money is still on AgSci at UCD. I demonstrated Geology to some Ags there, for my manifold and black sins, and the cap certainly fits.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

J C wrote:
    To illustrate, the 59 letters in the statement that “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD” occupy a total potential ‘combinatorial space’ of 3.04E+83 i.e. (1/26 x 1/26 x 1/26 ………….59 times)
    This happens to be also greater than the number of electrons in the Universe.

In practice, it would therefore be impossible for a random computer programme to EVER combine the 26 letters of the alphabet into this statement using undirected processes.
    However, by applying very basic Human Intelligence to specifying the exact sequence of the letters, we easily overcome the effectively infinite ‘useless combinatorial’ space surrounding this unique, tightly specified and functionally understandable sequence of letters.

An example of the ‘useless combinatorial space’ within these 59 letters would be “SGFVXY BHESKGDFW BJJGDSDUPWDSBN NHGDFJKK JJHNSMDOOERYNNDK GYUWOQ”
    - and a further approximately 10E+83 of similarly ‘functionally useless’ sets of '59 letter gobbledygook’.!!!!

Fun as it is to see all these big numbers, it's worth reiterating that what you are claiming is correct but meaningless.

Let's take your String (for my purposes I'm calling it 69 chars long, and since space is a valid character we have 27 possibilities in each position).

The chances of generating it randomly are 5.8E98, this is a bigger number than your example I hope you don't mind.

The chances of ever generating it randomly are astonishingly small, you are right to say it could never happen. The problem is no one is claiming that this happens.

Let's look at what are the chances of it evolving, rather than spontaneously appearing as if by miracle.

If we simulate evolution, by taking any random start point and evolving it. By evolving I mean we have a measure of fitness, and we mutate at random one character each time somewhere in the sentence.

Obviously if we got really really lucky we could get to your sentence in 59 steps, but life is never that lucky, the majority of mutations are not beneficial. So how many mutations do we need on average to get the 59 letters correct?
    SGFVXY BHES KGDFW BJJGDS DUPWDSBN DD NHGDFJKK JIHNSMDOOERYNNDK GYUWOQ (32)=2
    SGFVXY BHES KGDFW BJJGDS DUPWDSBN DD NHGDCJKK JIHNSMDOOERYNNDK GYUWOQ (43)=3
    SGFVXY BHES KGDFW BJJGDS DUPWDSBN DD NHGDCJKK  IHNSMDOOERYNNDK GYUWOQ (66)=4
    SGFVXY BHES KGDFW BJJGDS DUPWDSBN DD NHGDCJKK  IHVSMDOOERYNNDK GYUWOQ (84)=5
    SGFVXY BHES KGDFWNBJJGDS DUPWDSBN DD NHGDCJKK  IHVSMDOOERYNNDK GYUWOQ (86)=6
    SGFVXT BHES KGDFWNBJJGDS DUPWDSBN DD NHGDCJKK  IHVSMDOOERYNNDK GYUWOQ (242)=7
    SGFVXT BHES KGDFWNBJJGDS DUPWDSBN DD NHGDCJKK  IHVSMDOOERYNNDK GYUEOQ (282)=8
    SGFVXT BHES KGDFWNBJJGDS DUPWDEBN DD NHGDCJKK  IHVSMDOOERYNNDK GYUEOQ (435)=9
    SGFVXT BHES KGDFWNBJJGDS DUP DEBN DD NHGDCJKK  IHVSMDOOERYNNDK GYUEOQ (457)=10
    SGFVXT BHES KGDFWNBJJGDS DUP DEBN DD NHGDCJKK  IHVSMDOOERYNNDK GYUEOD (504)=11
    SGFVXT BHES KGDFWNBJJGDS DUP DEBN DD NHGDCJKK  IHVSMDOOERYNNIK GYUEOD (515)=12
    SGFVXT BH S KGDFWNBJJGDS DUP DEBN DD NHGDCJKK  IHVSMDOOERYNNIK GYUEOD (524)=13
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWNBJJGDS DUP DEBN DD NHGDCJKK  IHVSMDOOERYNNIK GYUEOD (553)=14
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWNBJJGDS DUP DEBN DD NHGICJKK  IHVSMDOOERYNNIK GYUEOD (618)=15
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWN JJGDS DUP DEBN DD NHGICJKK  IHVSMDOOERYNNIK GYUEOD (619)=16
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWN JJGDS DUP DEBN TD NHGICJKK  IHVSMDOOERYNNIK GYUEOD (679)=17
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWN JJGDS DUP DEBN TD NHGICJKL  IHVSMDOOERYNNIK GYUEOD (689)=18
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWN JJGDSNDUP DEBN TD NHGICJKL  IHVSMDOOERYNNIK GYUEOD (759)=19
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWN JJGDSNDUP DEBN TD NHGICJKL  IHVSMIOOERYNNIK GYUEOD (766)=20
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWN JJGDENDUP DEBN TD NHGICJKL  IHVSMIOOERYNNIK GYUEOD (773)=21
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWN JJODENDUP DEBN TD NHGICJKL  IHVSMIOOERYNNIK GYUEOD (782)=22
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWN JJODENDUP DEBN TD NHGICJKL  IHVSMIOOERYNNIK TYUEOD (797)=23
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWN JJODENDUO DEBN TD NHGICJKL  IHVSMIOOERYNNIK TYUEOD (829)=24
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWN JJODENDUO DEBN TD MHGICJKL  IHVSMIOOERYNNIK TYUEOD (835)=25
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWN JJODENDUO DEBN TD MHGICJKL  IHVSMIOOERYNNIK TYUEAD (861)=26
    SGFVXT BH H KGDFWN JJODENDUO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  IHVSMIOOERYNNIK TYUEAD (891)=27
    SGFLXT BH H KGDFWN JJODENDUO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  IHVSMIOOERYNNIK TYUEAD (939)=28
    SGFLXT BH HAKGDFWN JJODENDUO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  IHVSMIOOERYNNIK TYUEAD (948)=29
    SGFLXT BH HAKGDFWN JJODENDUO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  IHVAMIOOERYNNIK TYUEAD (1010)=30
    SGFLXT BH HAKGDFWN JJODENDUO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  IHVAMIOOERYNHIK TYUEAD (1106)=31
    SGFLXT BH HAKGDFEN JJODENDUO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  IHVAMIOOERYNHIK TYUEAD (1135)=32
    SGFLXT BH HAKGDFEN JJODENDUO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  IHVAMIOOERYTHIK TYUEAD (1147)=33
    SVFLXT BH HAKGDFEN JJODENDUO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  IHVAMIOOERYTHIK TYUEAD (1256)=34
    SVFLXT BH HAKGDFEN JJODENDUO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIOOERYTHIK TYUEAD (1311)=35
    SVFLXT BH HAKGDFEN JJODENDUO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIOOERYTHIK THUEAD (1361)=36
    SVFLXT BH HAKGDFEN JJOVENDUO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIOOERYTHIK THUEAD (1398)=37
    SVFLXT BH HAKGDEEN JJOVENDUO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIOOERYTHIK THUEAD (1604)=38
    SVFLXT BH HAKGDEEN JJOVENDTO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIOOERYTHIK THUEAD (1690)=39
    SVFLXT BH HAK DEEN JJOVENDTO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIOOERYTHIK THUEAD (1725)=40
    SVFLXT BH HAK BEEN JJOVENDTO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIOOERYTHIK THUEAD (1784)=41
    SVFLXT BH HAK BEEN JJOVENDTO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIOOER THIK THUEAD (1875)=42
    SVFLUT BH HAK BEEN JJOVENDTO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIOOER THIK THUEAD (1978)=43
    EVFLUT BH HAK BEEN JJOVENDTO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIOOER THIK THUEAD (2023)=44
    EVFLUT BH HAK BEEN JJOVENDTO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIDOER THIK THUEAD (2051)=45
    EVFLUT OH HAK BEEN JJOVENDTO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIDOER THIK THUEAD (2079)=46
    EVOLUT OH HAK BEEN JJOVENDTO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIDOER THIK THUEAD (2247)=47
    EVOLUT OH HAK BEEN JJOVENDTO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMIDOER THIK THREAD (2272)=48
    EVOLUT OH HAK BEEN JJOVENDTO DEBM TD MHGICJKL  INVAMID ER THIK THREAD (2484)=49
    EVOLUT OH HAK BEEN JJOVENDTO DEBM TD MHGICJLL  INVAMID ER THIK THREAD (2580)=50
    EVOLUT OH HAK BEEN PJOVENDTO DEBM TD MHGICJLL  INVAMID ER THIK THREAD (2606)=51
    EVOLUT OH HAK BEEN PJOVENDTO DE M TD MHGICJLL  INVAMID ER THIK THREAD (2678)=52
    EVOLUT OH HAS BEEN PJOVENDTO DE M TD MHGICJLL  INVAMID ER THIK THREAD (2716)=53
    EVOLUT OH HAS BEEN PJOVENDTO DE M TD MHGICJLL  INVALID ER THIK THREAD (2777)=54
    EVOLUT OH HAS BEEN PJOVENDTO DE M TD MHGICJLL  INVALID ER THIS THREAD (2905)=55
    EVOLUT OH HAS BEEN PJOVENDTO DE M TH MHGICJLL  INVALID ER THIS THREAD (2976)=56
    EVOLUT OH HAS BEEN PJOVENDTO DE M TH MHTICJLL  INVALID ER THIS THREAD (3138)=57
    EVOLUT ON HAS BEEN PJOVENDTO DE M TH MHTICJLL  INVALID ER THIS THREAD (3509)=58
    EVOLUT ON HAS BEEN PJOVENDTO DE M TH MHTICJLL  INVALID OR THIS THREAD (4065)=59
    EVOLUT ON HAS BEEN PJOVENDTO DE M TH MHTICALL  INVALID OR THIS THREAD (4081)=60
    EVOLUT ON HAS BEEN PJOVENDTO DE M TH MHTICALLY INVALID OR THIS THREAD (4089)=61
    EVOLUT ON HAS BEEN PJOVENDTO BE M TH MHTICALLY INVALID OR THIS THREAD (4407)=62
    EVOLUT ON HAS BEEN PJOVENDTO BE M TH MHTICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD (5305)=63
    EVOLUT ON HAS BEEN PROVENDTO BE M TH MHTICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD (6674)=64
    EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVENDTO BE M TH MHTICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD (7276)=65
    EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVENDTO BE M TH MATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD (7620)=66
    EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVENDTO BE MATH MATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD (7684)=67
    EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATH MATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD (7953)=68
    EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD (9339)=69

The answer is that you can evolve this sequence in under 10,000 steps. Armed with this you can actually start to pick real holes in evolutionary theory, that each step on the way has to be beneficial, that evolution can only find a local maximum etc. etc.

pH wrote:
    The answer is that you can evolve this sequence in under 10,000 steps.
    Wow, you have too much time on your hands :p

It is a great demonstration of what evolution actually is though, rather than what JC seems to think it is.

And you are right, there still are a lot of issue with the actual mechanics of evolution ("holes" if you were). If JC actually bothered to read up on evoluton and understand it and came back with the real issues and questions of neo-darwin evolutionary theory this thread would be far more interesting.

Another thing to point out was this example was finding one specific combination out of 5.8E98 and it still managed to do it in 10,000 steps, but in natural evolution there isn't one specific combination, there are trillions, so it makes the job even easier.

Its hard to imagine how, given 2 billion years, evolution wouldn't developed something.

Wicknight wrote:
    Wow, you have too much time on your hands :p
    tbh I used a computer, I didn't do this with scrabble tiles and roll a 27 sided dice 10,000 times!
    :p

pH wrote:
    tbh I used a computer, I didn't do this with scrabble tiles and roll a 27 sided dice 10,000 times!
    :p

LOL :D

Maybe JC should do that so he understands the process a bit better :p

as a side we only did genetic algoritims in Comp Sci for like 2 weeks but I must say they are one of the most fascinating aspects of computer science. can you recommend any good books or introductionary web sites (i know what they are, it would be more code examples and how to design them)

• Advertisement

The Trinity College Dublin Dawson Prize in Genetics has been awarded by the Smurfit Institute of Genetics to Dr John Sulston, Nobel Laureate 2002 who will give a public lecture on Genetics and Society at Thursday 19th October 2006 @ 7:30pm in the Burke Theatre, Arts Building, Trinity College.
    Dr John Sulston of Cambridge University and the Sanger Centre was awarded the Nobel prize in medicine in 2002 for his analysis of the way in which an animal develops from a fertilised egg to an adult. In the course of this work he identified different lines of stem cells, and discovered how some cells in the developing animal are genetically programmed to die. This process is switched on in cancer cells, killing them and so protects us from cancer. Dr Sulson was one of the leaders of the Human Genome Project and helped to ensure that the data of the human DNA sequence would be freely available to all scientists.
    John Sulston, btw, is a Distinguished Supporter of the British Humanist Association who drew he public's attention to "Truth in Science", a thinly-disguised creationism propaganda site a few weeks back. It need hardly be said that Sulston, being a competent scientist, a Nobel-prize winner and a prolific contributor to the fund of human knowledge, is not a creationist.

Son Goku wrote:
    Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever get true to JC, as he already knows he isn't making sense. Like a lot of supposedly trained creationists he posts only to evangelise creationism.

I have to ask - does what?
    pH wrote:

It's a brilliant little demonstration. Very neat.

To indicate to the disbeliever how like biological evolution this is:

1. imagine that the initial sequence is DNA that codes for a protein X (let us say, for the sake of argument, that this is a perfect fat-digesting enzyme), and that the final sequence codes for protein Y (let us say, for the sake of argument, that this is a perfect nylon-digesting enzyme)

2. once mutated, this stretch of DNA produces copies of X-variants that become less efficient at their original job as the amino acid sequence becomes less like that of X, so the fat-digestion that was handled by X originally becomes a less efficient process

3. however, as the mutations build up, there comes a point where the organism gains the ability to digest nylon, and as the mutations continue to build up closer to the perfect nylon-digesting enzyme, the nylon digestion will become more and more efficient

Clearly, there will be selective pressure against the original mutants, unless they are living in a fat-poor environment, where their reduced fat-digestion efficiency will make little competitve difference. If they are living in a nylon-rich, fat-poor environment, they are exchanging a pretty useless capability for a highly advantageous one, and it is likely that their descendants will rapidly become a majority in the local population.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Wicknight
    The fact that someone wins the Jackpot every few weeks around the same time as 5 million tickets are sold (approx 1.2 million are sold each draw) are not connected because the odds of the Lotto don't carry over after the draw.

If all 5,245,786 individual numbers for each draw would be bought someone would win each draw. And that isn't the "Law of Large Numbers", that is simply the basis of statistics. And this never happens.

This is a bit of an (interesting) aside – but the Law of Large Numbers does indeed apply across draws – take my word for it, consult the Lotto statistics – or a statistician of your choice.!!!!

To illustrate, IF only one million 'panels' were bought for each draw, the Jackpot would only be won on average once in every 5 draws in accordance with the Law of Large Numbers!!!.

If there are 1.2 million tickets bought then that would be about 3.6 million 'panels' @ an average of 3 completed 'panels' per ticket. This would indicate that the Lotto would be won on every second draw - but with the pattern of wins occupying a typical 'bell' distribution curve centred on about 5 million 'panels' sold but with wins after as little as about 1 million 'panels' sold (where there are 2 winners of one draw) and as much as 10 million 'panels' sold (when the normal population of participants are skewed upwards in the week of a high 'rollover' draw).

....but throughout all of this, the Law of Large Numbers continues to 'average out' the jackpot wins to roughly one win for every 5 million 'panels' sold!!!

Scofflaw
    JC, your contention that useful proteins are "isolated in combinatorial space", and that changes of even one amino acid will render them useless, is utter rubbish.

I actually said that “There are very limited combinations of CRITICAL AMINO ACID SEQUENCES that produce useful proteins – and even one “wrong” Amino Acid along a CRITICAL SEQUENCE can utterly change the three dimensional shape of the protein – making it functionally USELESS.”

Equally, it is observed that ALL functional proteins are tightly specified and in turn they perform highly specific tasks in a closely co-ordinated and tightly integrated manner with other proteins and bio-molecules within the living organism concerned – so there is a hierarchy of multiple layers of tightly specified complexity within which proteins perform their useful functions – and without which they would be functionally useless.

This logically indicates that functional proteins COULDN’T have ANY functionality until ALL of the critical sequence is formed and it is fully integrated within the organism and perfectly co-ordinated within for example, whatever cascade it is catalysing.

There are therefore enormous amounts of ‘useless combinatorial space’ between useful functional proteins and the ‘useless combinatorial space’ is so enormous (even in very short 100 chain proteins) that it would defeat all of the time and resources of the Universe to ‘cross’ it using undirected processes such as mutation and replications errors.

However, intelligence can easily ‘cross’ this ‘space’ by possessing the power to logically specify sequences to meet pre-determined, co-ordinated and fully integrated functional objectives.

And speaking of the appliance of intelligence……..

……………here comes pH, as if on cue, with an INTELLIGENTLY DESIGNED computer programme that does something akin to Theistic Evolution – by applying intelligently specified constraints to filter out and retain the words “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD” from a random letter generator.

pH
    Let's take your String (for my purposes I'm calling it 69 chars long, and since space is a valid character we have 27 possibilities in each position).

The chances of generating it randomly are 5.8E98, this is a bigger number than your example I hope you don't mind.

The chances of ever generating it randomly are astonishingly small, you are right to say it could never happen. The problem is no one is claiming that this happens.

Let's look at what are the chances of it evolving, rather than spontaneously appearing as if by miracle.

………………….The answer is that you can evolve this sequence in under 10,000 steps.

What you did pH, was to constrain the computer into retaining the specific letters “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD” as each letter was randomly generated – so you immediately ‘locked in’ the letter E in the first position, as soon as it was randomly generated and D in the 69th position as soon as it was randomly generated, etc.
    You did the same with each other ‘correct letter’ once the ‘correct letter’ was generated in each of the other 67 positions.

A truly undirected programme wouldn’t ‘know’ that E was the ‘correct’ first letter or that V was the ‘correct’ second letter, etc. Only something with intelligent ‘overview’ (like yourself pH) would know this.
    When you programmed the computer you were occupying the supposed role of God in Theistic Evolution by directing the programme to ‘lock in’ each letter as it occurred in your PRE-DETERMINED SPECIFIED sequence – so as to eventually produce the sentence “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD”

Are you ACTUALLY a Theistic Evolutionist, by any chance??

Your programme exhibits EXACTLY what Dr Stephen C Meyer, Director of The Discovery Institute Centre for Science & Culture described as the properties of intelligence and rational agents:-
    “Rational agents can constrain combinatorial space with distant outcomes in mind. The causal powers that natural selection lacks – almost by definition – are associated with the attributes of consciousness and rationality – with purposeful intelligence……….

Your programme under YOUR intelligent direction ‘locked onto’ i.e. constrained each ‘correct’ letter as it was randomly generated in the ‘correct’ position with the ‘distant outcome’ in mind of the sentence “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD.

A truly random ‘blind’ programme wouldn’t ‘know’ that E was the correct first letter, V the correct second letter, O the correct third letter, etc. and it wouldn’t have any mechanism to ‘lock them in’ in any event.
    A truly random ‘blind’ programme would also start ‘undoing’ any of the words that might form early on in the process, like the words ‘BEEN’ and ‘THREAD’ in your example.

So, your programme is actually a demonstration of INTELLIGENCE in action – and shows HOW a rational agent (like yourself) was able to programme a computer to constrain combinatorial space with distant outcomes in mind, to the point where the odds of something specific happening was reduced from 5.8 E+98 down to 9,339.

However, had you done something akin to Creation and used your intelligence to simply write the words “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD” – you could have reduced the odds down to 1 – and saved a considerable amount of computer programming time and effort!!!!:D

Wicknight
    Another thing to point out was this example was finding one specific combination out of 5.8E98 and it still managed to do it in 10,000 steps

Such enthusiasm, such FAITH !!! :D

I must say that I have always found Atheists to be the most enthusiastic and faith-filled people that I have met, outside of ‘born again’ Christian circles.:D

Wicknight, sorry to ‘burst your bubble’ – but pH has just proved that the appliance of intelligence IS required to reduce combinatorial space to the point where complex specified outcomes become statistically POSSIBLE!!!!! :D

Wicknight
    Its hard to imagine how, given 2 billion years, evolution wouldn't developed something.

I find it helpful in answering such a question, to try thinking about how long something that is DEAD will remain DEAD!!!

Wicknight
    Well there you go. Out of the trillion or so protein combinations that life has had time to search through in the last billion years or so it has found at least 50,000 functional proteins.

Not bad for a billion years. Give it another billion years and another trillion possible protein sequences life will probably find another 50,000 useful protiens. In the whole 1E+180 set of possible protiens there must be trillions of useful proteins.

Even if we accept, for the sake of argument that ALL 1E+180 sequences COULD potentially produce a 'functional protein', it would be impossible for an undirected system to 'discover' a 'functional protein' for blood clotting WHEN IT NEEDED IT because nearly all of the 1E +180 of the protein sequences 'out there' would certainly be in the 'useless combinatorial space' for blood clotting agents - so 'finding' the ACTUAL protein sequence to incorporate into the blood clotting cascade at a specific point in time and space would defeat any 'blind' system like Macro-Evolution.
    It would be like a spare parts company, randomly searching it's enormous warehouse of 1E+180 spare parts for a particular spare part for your car. You would end up with a pile of useless supplied spare parts the size of the Universe - and still no statistical chance of ever getting the spark plug (or blood clotting protein) that you ordered!!!

You could also look on random mutation as akin to a conveyor belt supplying random ‘parts’ to a car assembly line – you would get a clutch for a tractor when you wanted a brakepipe for a car and a stick of Rhubarb when you wanted a tail-light bulb, or a jacuzzi when you needed a gearbox. Random mutations on the assembly line would also start undoing any useful work that you already had done by turning the steering wheel into a seat or by moving around the wheels and welding them to the bonnet!!! :D

Son Goku

Sounds like Son Goku is actively engaged in the intelligent design of a sentence with the ‘distant outcome’ of it eventually being meaningful - but being an Evolutionist, I wouldn't bet on a successful outcome!!!!!

……we’ll come back if and when he is finished!!!!!:D :)

Scofflaw wrote:
    I have to ask - does what?
    Sorry old Usenet joke. At points creationists would get so unintelligible that we could only demonstrate to them how nonsensical their posts were by responding with statements concealed by the censoring function for which no conjoining words could be imagined.

Hopefully to evoke a response like JC's above.

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    JC, your contention that useful proteins are "isolated in combinatorial space", and that changes of even one amino acid will render them useless, is utter rubbish.

I actually said that “There are very limited combinations of CRITICAL AMINO ACID SEQUENCES that produce useful proteins – and even one “wrong” Amino Acid along a CRITICAL SEQUENCE can utterly change the three dimensional shape of the protein – making it functionally USELESS.”

And this is occasionally true, with the rider "for some proteins, for the original purpose". However, that it is occasionally true does not make it any kind of law from which you can draw the very large conclusions you choose to draw, particularly since you have not added the rider.
    J C wrote:
    Equally, it is observed that ALL functional proteins are tightly specified and in turn they perform highly specific tasks in a closely co-ordinated and tightly integrated manner with other proteins and bio-molecules within the living organism concerned – so there is a hierarchy of multiple layers of tightly specified complexity within which proteins perform their useful functions – and without which they would be functionally useless.

You are entirely wrong. it is perfectly possible to have two or more variants on a protein doing the same job either better or worse. That is the subject of the papers which come up in the Google search I suggested you do before wasting our time.

J C wrote:
    ……………here comes pH, as if on cue, with an INTELLIGENTLY DESIGNED computer programme that does something akin to Theistic Evolution – by applying intelligently specified constraints to filter out and retain the words “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD” from a random letter generator.

What you did pH, was to constrain the computer into retaining the specific letters “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD” as each letter was randomly generated – so you immediately ‘locked in’ the letter E in the first position, as soon as it was randomly generated and D in the 69th position as soon as it was randomly generated, etc.
    You did the same with each other ‘correct letter’ once the ‘correct letter’ was generated in each of the other 67 positions.

A truly undirected programme wouldn’t ‘know’ that E was the ‘correct’ first letter or that V was the ‘correct’ second letter, etc. Only something with intelligent ‘overview’ (like yourself pH) would know this.
    When you programmed the computer you were occupying the supposed role of God in Theistic Evolution by directing the programme to ‘lock in’ each letter as it occurred in your PRE-DETERMINED SPECIFIED sequence – so as to eventually produce the sentence “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD”

Are you ACTUALLY a Theistic Evolutionist, by any chance??

No, JC. pH just understands evolution, and you don't. See my description of the biological analogue of pH's program.

Also, please note that pH has intelligently "modelled" evolution, that is to say, he has applied his intelligence to recreating what Nature does without intelligence. I am sure you need not be told which end of this stick you should grasp...
    J C wrote:
    Sounds like Son Goku is actively engaged in the intelligent design of a sentence with the ‘distant outcome’ of it eventually being meaningful in mind!!!!!

……we’ll come back when he is finished!!!!!:D :)

Do please feel free to apply intelligent design to your own ramblings. We'll let you know if you ever pass the Turing test.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

pH

Well Ph you have shown that an intelligence can do it with less than 10,000 trials.

EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD.

I must be really good, I did it in one trial.

pH

Well Ph you have shown that an intelligence can do it with less than 10,000 trials.

EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD.

I must be really good, I did it in one trial.

Which is an excellent demonstration of the unlikeliness of Creation or theistic evolution, given that we observe mutation and evolution in the modern world. An intelligent deity could also "do it in one", but, even according to JC, didn't (the "radiation of species" after the Flood).

cordially,
    Scofflaw

J C wrote:
    take my word for it

You will excuse me if I don't :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    That is exactly how evolution works. A successful outcome is "locked in" by natural selection by the fact that it propogates rather quickly though the population group. Therefore the odds that this change will be in the future accidently destroyed by a further mutation become quite small, since the odds of the mutations altering the same gene or structure in the small animals in a population group at the same time are very small.
    J C wrote:
    A truly undirected programme wouldn’t ‘know’ that E was the ‘correct’ first letter or that V was the ‘correct’ second letter, etc.

For the LAST TIME natural selection is not a undirected process!!!!!

Seriously, what part of that do you not understand!!!!

Just as pHs program selected a desirable letter, natural selection selects a desirable outcome based on if the outcome provides benefit to the organism. This outcome then spreads to the rest of the population group to such a point where the chances that it will be reversed again by another mutation are small (but not unheard of).

pHs model demostrates this very well.

- The random altering of letters mimics the random altering of mutation.

- His identification of a correct letter mimics the indentification of a welcome out come by natural selection, one that provides a benefit or advantage.

- His fixing in place of this letter after it has been indentified mimics evolutions fixing in place of selected outcome with in a population group by the fact that they propagate quickly through the species.

Now of course this fixing in place isn't perminent since evolution isn't. But then pHs program was just an example. You could easily mutation the final string into another string using of words using the exact same process.
    J C wrote:
    A truly random ‘blind’ programme wouldn’t ‘know’ that E was the correct first letter, V the correct second letter, O the correct third letter, etc. and it wouldn’t have any mechanism to ‘lock them in’ in any event.

That is the whole bloody point :rolleyes:

Natural selection is not a "truly random blind program" You admitted to that yourself only a few posts ago.

We have been trying to explain this to you for months now, evolution is not a random process.
    J C wrote:
    Such enthusiasm, such FAITH !!! :D

You are saying it is faith to accept that phs program did what it appears to have done?

You can see the output for yourself. Or do you just not want to see?
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight, sorry to ‘burst your bubble’ – but pH has just proved that the appliance of intelligence IS required to reduce combinatorial space to the point where complex specified outcomes become statistically POSSIBLE!!!!! :D
    As I explained, not he hasn't

There is no intelligence at work when natural selection selects an outcome. It is simply a matter of if the outcome provides benefit or advantage to the oraganism that produced the outcome.

pH modeled this in is genetic algorithm by telling the algorithm what outcomes produce benefit (ie which outcomes match the sentence), because you have to in a computer program, you don't have nature to do that for you, but in nature itself this would be handled simply but the circumstances and enviornment that the population group find themselves in.
    J C wrote:
    Even if we accept, for the sake of argument that ALL 1E+180 sequences COULD potentially produce a 'functional protein', it would be impossible for an undirected system to 'discover' a 'functional protein' for blood clotting WHEN IT NEEDED IT because nearly all of the 1E +180 of the protein sequences 'out there' would certainly be in the 'useless combinatorial space' for blood clotting agents

Who said it found it WHEN IT NEEDED IT. Who said blood came first. It is much more probably that blood didn't evolve until the necessary process had been discovered to allow it to function.

Seriously, the more you talk the clear it is that you don't understand the theory of neo-darwin evolution.

Yes the example is artificial in that the fitness function is "How close are we to this string", but it's the example given by J C, so I used it.

There is no "intelligence" guiding the steps, it picks a letter at random and mutates it, if it's 'fitter' it's kept.

This point seems to confuse J C, so it's worth a brief explanation. Evolution is in some ways like a random walk with someone following behind with a barrier. Random 'steps' forwards (better at surviving) are kept, steps backwards that are worse are discarded. This is a crucial point and why evolution is not merely a random process, at its most simplistic natural selection discards the 'bad' mutations and keeps the good ones.

And no Brian, there is no intelligence in this, it's merely the rolling of dice, mutating and checking if the mutation is fitter than the parent.

An 'Intelligent' solution (computer or human) could easily figure out which letter to change each time and get there in 69 steps, or indeed as Scofflaw has pointed out, in one step. You just design it, it works ... next please.

Come on guys, get serious :rolleyes:

I work in the Met service. We run computer models of the weather. Because we need to be intelligent to construct these models doesn't mean that the weather itself needs to be intelligent to act in the way we model that it acts.

pHs genetic algorithm is a model of how the unintelligent but directed process of mutation and natural selection works. The fact that you have to be intelligent to write a model of this system doesn't mean the system is some how intelligent. That is nonsense.

People seem to be getting very confused over the genetic algorithm picking a correct letter, some how thinking this is a sign of intelligence. It isn't. The algorithm is simply modeling the way that natural selection process would "pick" an outcome that shows advantage, based simply on natural laws. This would happen naturally if this was happening in the real world, rather than a computer simulation.

Take for example a simulation of say the breaking strength of a piece of rope being modeled for something like bridge design.

You have to intelligently tell the computer that after the force on the rope reaches something like 70 the rope will break. This is an act of our intelligence because the computer program is dump and doesn't know anything about ropes or when they break. But it is simply modeling the fact that in nature the rope will actually break after a force of 70 is applied to it.

There is no intelligence actually in nature going "...67, 68, 69, 70! ok now break!", some how deciding that it should break at a simple point. Just like there is no intelligence in nature deciding if some new mutation is benefical or advantagous to a species. It is sorted out by natural processes, just like a rope breaking is sorted out by natural processes, not someone deciding that now is a good time to make the rope break.

• Advertisement

Son Goku wrote:
    Sorry old Usenet joke. At points creationists would get so unintelligible that we could only demonstrate to them how nonsensical their posts were by responding with statements concealed by the censoring function for which no conjoining words could be imagined.

Hopefully to evoke a response like JC's above.

How worrying. It (a) implies the possibility that you are older than me (which paradoxically makes me feel old), and (b) I had thought of a couple of combinations, using rather archaic slang, admittedly. I will now consign them to the void...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

> And no Brian, there is no intelligence in this, it's merely the rolling of dice,
    > mutating and checking if the mutation is fitter than the parent.

I think "fitter" is perhaps the wrong word here, as it's got one use in biology, and quite another in colloquial speech. I think it's better phrased as: reproducing with mutation to see if any specific mutated version spreads more effectively than any other. In much the same way as language, religion, culture etc do.

Scofflaw wrote:
    How worrying. It (a) implies the possibility that you are older than me (which paradoxically makes me feel old), and (b) I had thought of a couple of combinations, using rather archaic slang, admittedly. I will now consign them to the void...

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    No need to worry about (a), I had access to Usenet when I was quite young and even then it was well past its golden years when I joined.
    Of course the best of those concealed jokes were when somebody went to the trouble of actually creating an unusual sentence. Often involving medieval slang.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Son Goku

At points creationists would get so unintelligible that we could only demonstrate to them how nonsensical their posts were by responding with statements concealed by the censoring function for which no conjoining words could be imagined.

The ‘unintelligible ones’ on this thread are the EVOLUTIONISTS!!!!:D

Scofflaw
    JC. pH just understands evolution, and you don't…………….

Also, please note that pH has intelligently "modelled" evolution, that is to say, he has applied his intelligence to recreating what Nature does without intelligence. I am sure you need not be told which end of this stick you should grasp...

IF pH does understand Evolution, he certainly HASN’T modelled it in his computer exercise. :D

What he actually did was to constrain the computer into retaining the specific letters “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD” as each letter was randomly generated.
    He IMMEDIATELY ‘locked in’ the letter E in the first position, as soon as it was randomly generated and D in the 69th position as soon as it was randomly generated. He also did the same with each ‘correct letter’ once the ‘correct letter’ was generated in each of the other 69 positions.
    Materialistic Evolution wouldn’t ‘know’ what a ‘correct’ letter was and certainly wouldn’t work up to a PRE-DETERMINED outcome like “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD”

A truly undirected programme wouldn’t ‘know’ that E was the ‘correct’ first letter or that V was the ‘correct’ second letter, etc. Only something with intelligent ‘overview’ (like pH himself) would know this. When he programmed the computer he was occupying the supposed role of God in Theistic Evolution by directing the programme to ‘lock in’ each letter as it occurred in a PRE-DETERMINED SPECIFIED sequence – so as to eventually produce the sentence “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD”

Which part of the word IMPOSSIBLE do you not understand?

It is IMPOSSIBLE to develop and manufacture computers without an intelligent input.
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to develop and manufacture cars without an intelligent input.
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to develop and manufacture wheelbarrows without an intelligent input.

Why is it POSSIBLE to develop and manufacture LIFE without an intelligent input?:confused:

Scoffflaw
    Which is an excellent demonstration of the unlikeliness of Creation or theistic evolution, given that we observe mutation and evolution in the modern world. An intelligent deity could also "do it in one", but, even according to JC, didn't (the "radiation of species" after the Flood).

An Intelligent Deity could indeed “do it in one”.

In fact, an Intelligent Deity DID “do it in one” – and you can read all about it in Genesis 1-3!!!.:D

The speciation within Created Kinds is just an example of one aspect of amazing genetic diversity that was originally Created by God.

Wicknight
    Just as pHs program selected a desirable letter, natural selection selects a desirable outcome based on if the outcome provides benefit to the organism.

PH’s programme selected a letter that was desirable to HIM – in order to complete the sentence.

It operated along pre-programmed lines to reach an EXACT solution that was determined IN ADVANCE by HIM.

It was pH’s programme and he was the ‘God' of all he surveyed!!!:D

A truly ‘blind’ programme wouldn’t ‘know’ that E was the correct first letter, V the correct second letter, O the correct third letter, etc. and it wouldn’t have any mechanism to ‘lock them in’ in any event.
    A truly ‘blind’ programme would start ‘undoing’ any of the words that might form early on in the process, like the words ‘BEEN’ and ‘THREAD’ in the example – and it wouldn’t matter how ‘useful’ they were – random mutation is no respecter of ‘utility’. In fact, it usually degrades functionality!!!!

So, pH’s programme is actually a demonstration of INTELLIGENCE in action – and shows HOW a rational agent (like himself) was able to programme a computer to constrain combinatorial space with distant outcomes in mind, to the point where the odds of something specific happening was reduced from 5.8 E+98 down to 9,339.

As I have said (and Brian Calgary also spotted) it would have been simpler if pH had simply written down the words “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD” – and saved his brain and his computer a lot of bother.

Scofflaw
    JC. pH just understands evolution, and you don't.

Fair enough.

Well then would pH be kind enough to explain how the following tightly specified biochemical cascade ‘evolved’ – or indeed how any of the thousands of other equally specific and equally complex cascades that are present in living organisms ALSO evolved:-

“When light first strikes the retina a photon interacts with a molecule called 11-cis-retinal, which rearranges within picoseconds to trans-retinal. (BTW a picosecond is about the time it takes light to travel the breadth of a single Human hair.)
    The change in the shape of the retinal molecule forces a change in the shape of the protein, rhodopsin, to which the retinal is tightly bound. The protein’s metamorphosis alters it’s behaviour. Now called metarhodopsin II, the protein sticks to another protein called transducin. Before bumping into metarhodopsin II, transducin had tightly bound a small molecule called GDP. But when transducin interacts with metarhodopsin II, the GDP falls off, and a molecule called GTP binds to transducin. (GTP is closely related to, but critically different from GDP).
    GTP-transducin-metarhodopsin II now binds to a protein called phosphodiesterase, located in the inner membrane of the cell. When attached to metarhodopsin II and its entourage, the phosphodiesterase acquires the chemical ability to “cut” a molecule called cGMP (cGMP is closely related to, but critically different from GDP and GTP). Initially there are a lot of cGMP molecules in the cell, but the phosphodiesterase lowers it’s concentation by acting as an ‘absorber’.
    Another membrane protein that binds cGMP is called an ion channel. It acts as a gateway that regulates the number of Sodium ions in the cell. Normally the ion channel allows Sodium ions to flow into the cell, while a separate protein ‘pumps’ them out again. The dual action of the ion channel and the ‘pump’ keeps the level of Sodium ions in the cell within a narrow range. When the amount of cGMP is reduced because of the cleavage by the phosphodiesterase, the ion channel closes, causing the cellular concentrations of positively charged Sodium ions to be reduced. This causes an imbalance of charge across the cell membrane that causes a current to be transmitted down the optic nerve to the brain. The result, when interpreted by the brain, is vision.

If the reactions mentioned above were the only ones that operated in the cell, the supply of 11-cis-retinal, cGMP and Sodium ions would be depleted quickly. Several mechanisms turn off the proteins that were turned on, in order to restore the cell to it’s original state. Firstly, the ion channel also lets Calcium ion in as well as Sodium ions. The Calcium is ‘pumped’ back by a different protein so that a constant Calcium concentration is maintained. When cGMP levels fall, shutting down the ion channel, Calcium concentrations also decrease too. The phosphodiesterase enzyme, which destroys cGMP slows down at lower Calcium ion concentrations. Second, a protein called guanlate cyclase begins to resynthesize cGMP when Calcium levels start to fall. Third, while all of this is going on, metarhodopsin II is chemically modified by an enzyme called rhodopsin kinase. The modified rhodopsin then binds to a protein known as arrestin, which prevents the rhodopsin from activating more transducin. And this is how the cell limits the amplified signal started by a single photon.
    Trans-retinal eventually falls off of the rhodopsin and is reconverted to 11-cis-retinal which is again bound by rhodopsin to get back to the starting point for another visual cycle. To accomplish this, transretinal is first chemically modified by an enzyme to trans-retinol – a form containing two more Hydrogen atoms. A second enzyme then converts the molecule to 11-cis-retionol. Finally, a third enzyme removes the previously added Hydrogen atoms to form 11-cis-retinal and one cycle is completed (in about one nanosecond).”

Could I suggest that if the undirected production of the sequence for a simple protein is a mathematical IMPOSSIBILITY the production of the above biochemical sequence for sight is also IMPOSSIBLE.

Even if we accept, for the sake of argument that ALL 1E+180 sequences COULD potentially produce a 'functional protein', it would be impossible for an undirected system to 'discover' a 'functional protein' like Rhodopsin WHEN IT NEEDED IT because nearly all of the 1E +180 protein sequences 'out there' would certainly be in the 'useless combinatorial space' for sight generation agents - so 'finding' the ACTUAL protein sequence to incorporate into the sight cascade at a specific point in time and space would defeat any 'blind' system like Macro-Evolution.
    It would be like a spare parts company, randomly searching it's enormous warehouse of 1E+180 spare parts for a particular spare part for your car. You would end up with a pile of useless supplied spare parts the size of the Universe - and still no statistical chance of ever getting the spark plug (or the Rhodopsin) that you required!!!

Wicknight
    There is no intelligence at work when natural selection selects an outcome.

That may indeed be the case – but there certainly WAS an intelligently designed computer programme at work in pH’s demonstration of Intelligent Design in action.

The problem for NS isn’t it’s ability to select – it is its ability to obtain quality raw-material from which to select.

NS is basically a ‘filter’ and like all filters it’s resultant product is only as good as the raw material supplied to it. The principle of ‘rubbish in – rubbish out' applies.

Because of the enormous useless ‘combinatorial space’ involved, random systems like mutation can ONLY degrade information and produce ‘rubbish’ for NS to select.

Intelligently Designed systems, on the other hand, can provide quality information and quality traits for NS to select – and this is yet ANOTHER proof of the Intelligent Design of living systems. :cool: :D

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    JC. pH just understands evolution, and you don't…………….

IF pH does understand Evolution, he certainly HASN’T modelled it in his computer exercise. :D

What he actually did was to constrain the computer into retaining the specific letters “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD” as each letter was randomly generated.
    He IMMEDIATELY ‘locked in’ the letter E in the first position, as soon as it was randomly generated and D in the 69th position as soon as it was randomly generated. He also did the same with each ‘correct letter’ once the ‘correct letter’ was generated in each of the other 69 positions.
    Materialistic Evolution wouldn’t ‘know’ what a ‘correct’ letter was and certainly wouldn’t work up to a PRE-DETERMINED outcome like “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD”

A truly undirected programme wouldn’t ‘know’ that E was the ‘correct’ first letter or that V was the ‘correct’ second letter, etc. Only something with intelligent ‘overview’ (like pH himself) would know this. When he programmed the computer he was occupying the supposed role of God in Theistic Evolution by directing the programme to ‘lock in’ each letter as it occurred in a PRE-DETERMINED SPECIFIED sequence – so as to eventually produce the sentence “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD”

Sigh. Exactly, JC. To slightly better model evolution, pH could, rather than specifically choosing which letter to retain at what position, give each letter a "fitness value" at each position, so that it would not definitely retain the specific letter. Better yet, we could assign a fitness (or calculate a fitness) for each full string, that would determine how well it survived.

The fact that you don't understand what is happening here is just that - the fact that you don't understand it. By failing to understand it, you render your comments on evolution entirely meaningless sequences of letters and exclamation marks, because you don't understand what you have undertaken to disprove.
    J C wrote:
    Which part of the word IMPOSSIBLE do you not understand?

I used to think it was impossible for one person to be so incredibly and regularly wrong as you are, but I see now, through repeated observation, that you are indeed capable of it.
    J C wrote:
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to develop and manufacture computers without an intelligent input.
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to develop and manufacture cars without an intelligent input.
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to develop and manufacture wheelbarrows without an intelligent input.

Why is it POSSIBLE to develop and manufacture LIFE without an intelligent input?:confused:

You are confused, because life is not "developed and manufactured". You are unable to comprehend process without agency - a not uncommon failing.

J C wrote:
    Scoffflaw

An Intelligent Deity could indeed “do it in one”.

In fact, an Intelligent Deity DID “do it in one” – and you can read all about it in Genesis 1-3!!!.:D

The speciation within Created Kinds is just an example of one aspect of amazing genetic diversity that was originally Created by God.

Nice. Unfortunately it means that the plants and animals we see today are not the ones originally created by God. They are, by your claim, those resulting from adaptive radiation after the Flood.

J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    Just as pHs program selected a desirable letter, natural selection selects a desirable outcome based on if the outcome provides benefit to the organism.

PH’s programme selected a letter that was desirable to HIM – in order to complete the sentence.

It operated along pre-programmed lines to reach an EXACT solution that was determined IN ADVANCE by HIM.

It was pH’s programme and he was the ‘God' of all he surveyed!!!:D

A truly ‘blind’ programme wouldn’t ‘know’ that E was the correct first letter, V the correct second letter, O the correct third letter, etc. and it wouldn’t have any mechanism to ‘lock them in’ in any event.

Sigh. Once again you demonstrate your unwillingness or incapacity to understand this. pH could have simply given the comuter the rules of grammar, and let it generate anything it liked, as long as it was a correct sentence.

Life indeed does not attempt to generate anything specific - but that is your claim, not pH's. pH's demonstration was specifically chosen to fit the tiny piece of the puzzle you appear able to grasp.
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    There is no intelligence at work when natural selection selects an outcome.

That may indeed be the case – but there certainly WAS an intelligently designed computer programme at work in pH’s demonstration of Intelligent Design in action.

The problem for NS isn’t it’s ability to select – it is its ability to obtain quality raw-material from which to select.

NS is basically a ‘filter’ and like all filters it’s resultant product is only as good as the raw material supplied to it. The principle of ‘rubbish in – rubbish out' applies.

Because of the enormous useless ‘combinatorial space’ involved, random systems like mutation can ONLY degrade information and produce ‘rubbish’ for NS to select.

Intelligently Designed systems, on the other hand, can provide quality information and quality traits for NS to select – and this is yet ANOTHER proof of the Intelligent Design of living systems. :cool: :D

Mutation provides both bad and good traits to select on - a simple matter of fact repeatably and repeatedly observed, and noted on this thread. A good example is the frame shift mutation that produced the nylon-digesting enzyme.

regards,
    Scofflaw

In the scenario modelled the sentence “EVOLUTION HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE MATHEMATICALLY INVALID ON THIS THREAD” is artificially chosen as being 'of high survivability value'.

The process that can reach it in 10,000 steps rather than taking an eternity to generate it complete is very similar to evolution.

In a sense this is artificial, in that we/know what the end sequence is, and this allows you shriek 'design', a more realistic scenario would be to come up with a complicated fitness function based on a string of letters and then see how well evolution can do at maximising that value. Then we would have no 'pre-determined outcome' for you to moan about!
    Well then would pH be kind enough to explain how the following tightly specified biochemical cascade ‘evolved’ – or indeed how any of the thousands of other equally specific and equally complex cascades that are present in living organisms ALSO evolved:-
    Well I could hazard a wild guess!
    - In a series of tiny incremental step, each a little more 'beneficial' to the host organism over a period of 3.5 billion years.
    Absolutely not, a filter works with rubbish and good stuff in -> good stuff out.

If you feed only rubbish then nothing gets through the filter, but rubbish + good material = good material (on the other side of a filter)

J C wrote:

Actually he has. The reason you don't recongise it is because (and pay attention, this is the important bit) ...

You don't know or understand what neo-darwin evolutionary theory is
    J C wrote:
    No, actually you came up with the sentence.
    J C wrote:
    It wasn't pre-programmed. Do you understand what a genetic algorithim is JC?
    J C wrote:
    A truly ‘blind’ programme wouldn’t ‘know’ that E was the correct first letter,
    Natural selection isn't blind. Feedback is provide by the environment.

Once an benefitial outcome has been reached, through random mutation, nature itself will let natural selection know this, buy providing an advantage to the organism that spreads into the population group. This is the feedback stage, that allows the actual "selection"

Hell JC do actually understand ANYTHING about the theory of evolution.
    J C wrote:
    V the correct second letter, O the correct third letter, etc. and it wouldn’t have any mechanism to ‘lock them in’ in any event.

Yes it does, it is locked in by the fact that it spreads to the rest of the population better and faster than a non-benefitial outcome.

Again, do you actually understand ANYTHING about the theory of evolution.

I mean I'm explaining to you the very very basics of what neo-darwin evolutionary theory suggests happens and all this seem completely new to you.

What exactly did you learn when you thought you were learning about evolution?
    J C wrote:
    A truly ‘blind’ programme would start ‘undoing’ any of the words that might form early on in the process
    Once a change has spread into the population at large the change is only mutated in individual organism. If further mutation is not benefitial then these further changes don't spread into the rest of the population.

Again JC, this is basic basic evolutionary theory.
    J C wrote:
    Even if we accept, for the sake of argument that ALL 1E+180 sequences COULD potentially produce a 'functional protein', it would be impossible for an undirected system to 'discover' a 'functional protein' like Rhodopsin WHEN IT NEEDED IT
    Why does it need to discover it WHEN IT NEEDED IT?

The nylon bug mutated the ability to digest nylon long before nylon was even invented.
    J C wrote:

Groan ... like I said, our weather models in the Met service are intelligently designed models of the weather. The weather itself isn't intelligent.
    J C wrote:
    That isn't the problem, considering life has been mutation constantly for about 4 billion years.
    J C wrote:
    Are you saying that no mutation can ever produce a benefit? because mutations that produce benefit have been observed to happen. So you are wrong, the only question is do you already know you are wrong?
    J C wrote:
    I have absolutely no idea what you are basing that statement on JC, beyond your own ignorance.

Mutation does not only degrade information. We have been over this, and this is an observable fact. You keep harking on about science proving evolution through observation, yet you reject it when it does actualy prove something through observation. Mutation has been seen to increase the ability of an organism, and more importantly has been seen to increase the actual genetic structures, "information" as you like to call it.

I have to wonder what the point is of even continuing.

It is clear now that you don't actually know what the theory of evolution says. You greet quite simple basic evolutionary principles, like mutations being "locked in" due to spreading thought the population, with blank stares and nonsense questions.

You seem completely lost in a mess of your own ignorance, and you are now retreating to passed statements like "mutation can only degrade" which have been long ago (in this threads life time) provide completely wrong. Mutation can remove genetic structures, it can rearrange genetic structures and it can add genetic strutures. All this has been observed, and you have been told all this BEFORE.

Give it up JC, its over. You have nothing left to argue accept the nonsense going on in your own head, that has already been shown to be incorrect or lies over and over again.

Wicknight wrote:
    You seem completely lost in a mess of your own ignorance, and you are now retreating to passed statements like "mutation can only degrade" which have been long ago (in this threads life time) provide completely wrong. Mutation can remove genetic structures, it can rearrange genetic structures and it can add genetic strutures. All this has been observed, and you have been told all this BEFORE.

Give it up JC, its over. You have nothing left to argue accept the nonsense going on in your own head, that has already been shown to be incorrect or lies over and over again.

Summarising: JC's bulwarks against evolution:

1. improbability of randomly generating specified protein sequences -> evolution doesn't do this: mutation makes random changes and they are weeded out or kept in by natural selection

2. difficulty of generating anything with random undirected processes -> natural selection is a directional, non-random filter process operating on random mutations

3. mutations only ever generating nonsense and doing damage -> totally false, see nylon-digesting enzyme

Given that JC accepts that natural selection works, and that change is possible (cf claim of adaptive radiation after the Flood), and that the rest of his objections are actually misunderstandings, what is left?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Okay JC, what is wrong with the nylon eating bugs?
    It is a an example of the evolution of a known species being observed in real time by human scientists, what is wrong with it?

• Advertisement

From the BBC, a report on an exhibition which hopes to counter the religious myth that homosexuality is "against nature" by pointing out that homosexual behaviour is well documented in at least five hundred species. Hardly needs to be said that the organizers have apparently been told that they'll "burn in hell" :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6066606.stm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement