Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Scofflaw said:
    Lastly, because it's so much fun when you're not doing it. Also, they offer regular confirmation of my atheism.
    I noticed on another thread that your atheism allows you to believe in a spirit world - a domain where dead people exist and can communicate with the living.

Please explain how evolution has given rise to spirits. JC has profitably pointed out the staggering odds against the physical world arising from evolution - now you want us to believe spirits also evolved from inanimate origins! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    It isn't hundreds of harmful mutations to every beneficial one, its TENS OF THOUSANDS of harmful ones ………………………………………… to every beneficial one

You are of course correct, I just didn’t wish to be accused of over-stating the case AGAINST Evolution!!:eek: :D

Actually both Wicknight and you (with your selective quoting) are portraying this incorrectly.

While there may indeed be tens of thousands, if not millions of mutations that manifest as harmful phsyiology for an organism, their contribution to the species ends there. The are non-viable and do not survive to pro-create.

Every mutation that confers a survival benefit to an organism is passed on to their progeny. Which means that every single healthy organism on this planet is the result of what you are terming "a beneficial mutation"

That puts puts the beneficial mutations at around a log order of a million over the so-called "harmful mutations".

If you really don't mean to measure end-points (which is what you're doing with your own argument above, we'll asume you don't fully understand the argument we're making and go back to looking at cumulative mutations) then you must consider any harmful/beneficial change as a cumulation of changes, then you must consider the evolution of any animals as a sequence of logic boxes demonstrating the change and whether there is a physiological effect. The actual probability of something being harmful is far lower than it not, but even still, the harm will almost certainly be in the context of the rest of the organism so a mutation at a single point may be harmful in some cases and not in others, depending on other genes.

The take home message of all this is that if "harmful" mutations (your term) were as prevalent as you are suggesting, there would be no life on this planet. Biology is far more complex than your understanding here shows (most peoples for that matter).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> ‘Roll on’ 30,000 posts – and THEN perhaps ye will believe The Word of God –
    > and be set free, by being saved!!!!

Do you speak on behalf of your god?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    Scofflaw said:

I noticed on another thread that your atheism allows you to believe in a spirit world - a domain where dead people exist and can communicate with the living.

Please explain how evolution has given rise to spirits. JC has profitably pointed out the staggering odds against the physical world arising from evolution - now you want us to believe spirits also evolved from inanimate origins! :D:D:D

Ah. I think you're confusing me with someone who thinks that science is the be-all and end-all of knowledge - presumably that creature of the night, the "materialistic evolutionist".

I argue specifically against Creationism because your "factual" claims are simply and clearly in contradiction of what science has found, in areas that it has examined, according to a rigorous methodology. Against this creationism simply churns out rubbish that it simply labels "scientific", but which are actually coffee-table rhetoric sprinkled with quasi-scientific teminology. Claims such as the Flood are in no way believable to a trained geologist - they are simplistic fairy stories. Claims that all dating systems must be wrong because you have to be right - more rubbish, pseudo-backed with pseudoscience. JC's ludicrous attempts to "disprove" evolution with back-of-an-envelope calculations which clearly demonstrate a pathetic inability to understand the questions he thinks he has mastered. Absolutely nothing of what has been claimed as true, by creationists, on this forum, has had an ounce of science in it. You're a pollution in the intellectual life of the world, frankly.

All of which has nothing to do with what I do, or do not, believe. You might also have observed that I don't generally call myself an atheist (I am sometimes one, but it's a faith-based position, and all of us doubt) - because I don't think the divine is provable or disprovable by any means currently at our disposal, and that it takes a very human sort of arrogance to believe that it is. I'm an alatrist - I don't deny the possible existence of divinity, or the supernatural, or anything else we lack the power to examine, but I have yet to see anything that it's necessary to bow down to. I am also perfectly happy to take up any atheist who is so foolish as to claim that science supports his position rather than any other, or that his position is based on anything other than faith.

I don't even deny the possible existence of your God - my reasons for not worshipping him are religious, not scientific. There's certainly no reason for me to require some sort of evolutionary process to account for the supernatural, as if terrestrial evolution were the only process by which life has changed, and solid terrestrial life the only form of life possible. We're about, what, 200 years into science and we know everything? I think not.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

robindch wrote:
    > ‘Roll on’ 30,000 posts – and THEN perhaps ye will believe The Word of God –
    > and be set free, by being saved!!!!

Do you speak on behalf of your god?

Yes indeed ALL Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit of God and they are empowered to speak on behalf of God.
    Jesus Christ confirmed this fact when He said in Mt 28:18-20 "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you; and, lo I am with you always, even unto the end of the world".

• Advertisement

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    I can recommend this book:
    "Fooled by Randomness"

An Evolutionist recommending a book entitled “Fooled by Randomness” !!

The irony of it all, would make a cat laugh!!!!:D :D

Indeed, recommending it to you is quite ironic.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    Frankly, (Hell is) a mildly less uncomfortable concept than the idea of nothingness.

Well, try thinking about Heaven and being saved then!!!!:D

You may have misunderstood my comment.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    but presenting the evidence for and against evolution is perfectly reasonable, was certainly done in my science classes 30 years ago, and does not imply Creationism. Your point is once again either stupid or mendacious.

ANY criticism of Evolution is branded as ‘crypto-Creationism’ by Evolutionists – and ALL evidence against Evolution is banned BY LAW in most US Public Schools.

I have no strong views on what should be taught in schools myself, but I think that children should hear both sides of every debate.

Whether they hear it inside school or outside of school is entirely a matter for the school authorities and their parents, as far as I am concerned.

I share your view that presenting the evidence against Evolution is a good idea.
    If you TRULY believe what you are saying, I look forward to the day when conventionally qualified Creation Scientists or ID proponents are invited along their local school to ‘assist’ in the delivery of this particular 'module' of the curriculum.
    Creation Scientists and ID proponents are, after all, the EXPERTS on the scientific evidence against Evolution!!!

No, I was thinking of scientific evidence. "Creation Scientists" (not conventionally qualified) have no place in a science class except as a form of living fossil, whose understanding of science broke about 150 years ago - but in that case why not go the whole hog and invite someone from the Andaman Islands? A conventionally qualified one might be useful as a salutary demonstration of the power of wilful ignorance and the attractiveness of pseudoscience, but would otherwise be irrelevant - and again, why not have a Scientologist?

By the way, have you heard of the "Anthropic Principle"? Perhaps you can tell me how it would apply to your calculations?

Scofflaw

A short bit of news in from AiG. It seems that Ken has run clean out of shekels to build his "Creation Museum" show and he's looking for more cash. And he wants it fast:

https://www.answersingenesis.org/donate/onlinedonation.aspx

Seems that the schism with the Aussies earlier in the year must have left him strapped for cash and he apparently needs donations of around ten thousand dollars a week between now and next March to keep his show on the road. I trust the flock will dig deep into their well-lined pockets!

Meanwhile, down south in Florida, the well known creationist, diploma-mill doctor, and convicted fraud, Kent Hovind, is having his day in court on a long series of charges related to further fraud, tax-dodging, theft and making threats to government officers. And isn't making it easy for himself by (a) trying to claim that his work is done for god, and is therefore exempt from tax, and (b) that his house was stuffed with cash when raided by police who also found a cache of weapons, including a semi-automatic:

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Evangelist_Kent_Hovind%27s_tax_trial_begins

I wonder will he be the first creationist to be convicted of fraud a second time? Current form indicates that he's likely to be. The trial is supposed to end in about a week's time.

Oh, yes, and here's quite a good article from Esquire magazine last year, on Ken Ham and his "museum".

http://www.aboyandhiscomputer.com/Greetings_from_Idiot_America.html

Seriously, it's worth a read -- I wasn't aware that Ham had put saddles on dinosaurs, and cut Adam's penis off, presumably to preserve the "family values" of Idiot America :)

Scofflaw

You might also have observed that I don't generally call myself an atheist (I am sometimes one, but it's a faith-based position, and all of us doubt)

I have heard of a ‘Sunday Christian’ - and now we have an ‘Part-time Atheist’ or a ‘Doubting Atheist’.

Does this mean that you have doubts about your doubt about the existence of God ??!!!!:D :)

I must praise your intellectual honesty in admitting that Atheistic Humanism is a ‘faith based position’.

Atheism’s faith position also comes with considerable ‘downside’ if it is wrong.
    The WORST that can happen a Christian when he/she dies is that they ‘cease to exist’.
    The Atheist, on the other hand could find himself / herself facing God’s justice without any remission of his/her sins!!!! :eek:

Of course, a ‘Doubting Part-time Atheist’ like yourself, COULD always become a Christian thereby securing your eternal destiny PERMANENTLY………..!!!

…………….say but the words “I believe on Jesus Christ” ………….????

Scofflaw

I am also perfectly happy to take up any atheist who is so foolish as to claim that science supports his position rather than any other, or that his position is based on anything other than faith.

I don't even deny the possible existence of your God - my reasons for not worshipping him are religious, not scientific.

All very logical, but it still comes with the considerable ‘downside’ of not being saved!!!.

Christianity is a ‘win win’ faith.
    You get to live a happy, fulfilled life here on Earth, in communion with the God that Created you
    – and you also get to spend an eternity with Him in Heaven when you die!!!:cool: :cool:

Scofflaw
    There's certainly no reason for me to require some sort of evolutionary process to account for the supernatural, as if terrestrial evolution were the only process by which life has changed, and solid terrestrial life the only form of life possible. We're about, what, 200 years into science and we know everything? I think not.

Fair enough.

However, you do realise that such rational and circumscribed sentiments, ALSO apply to every theory of Biological Macro-Evolution as well !!!!!:)

Wicknight
    Organic matter can form out of inorganic matter.

Look Wicknight, we have been over this numerous times before.
    The great Louis Pasteur scientifically PROVED that life can only arise from other life and DISPROVED the widespread belief, at the time, that maggots and ‘lower’ life-forms spontaneously generated out of dirt.

This FACT has such high certainty and importance, that it has been accorded the status of a full Law of Biology.

So Wicknight:-
    1. Organic matter CANNOT form out of inorganic matter.
    2. A living organism is ALWAYS required to perform the task of assimilating dead material into living tissue – it’s the point where biogenesis meets biosynthesis!!!!! ;) :cool:

psi
    While there may indeed be tens of thousands, if not millions of mutations that manifest as harmful phsyiology for an organism, their contribution to the species ends there. The are non-viable and do not survive to pro-create.

Every mutation that confers a survival benefit to an organism is passed on to their progeny. Which means that every single healthy organism on this planet is the result of what you are terming "a beneficial mutation"

But many ‘harmful’ mutations DON’T affect fertility or fecundity and ARE therefore passed on and so they DO survive within populations.
    Natural Selection ISN’T a clinical system that precisely assesses ‘fitness’ – it is a pretty ‘hit and miss’ affair – and a lack of ‘fitness’ for one particular trait can easily be overcome by the presence of ‘fitness’ for another trait or indeed it can be completely over-ridden by strong sexual selection for another trait.

Equally, some ‘beneficial mutations’ may also never be passed on to progeny – lack of fecundity, genetic masking or sexual aversion to the trait bearer can result in ‘beneficial’ traits never being expressed in populations.

Each individual comes as a ‘package’ of good, bad and indifferent traits. The idea that NS magically ensures that only the ‘perfect’ go on to reproduce, is another myth that Evolutionists continue to confuse themselves with!!!!:eek: :D

The reason that we have healthy organisms is IN SPITE OF mutations – and NOT because of them. Healthy organisms are the result of a perfect Creation by God and our ever-increasing ‘mutational load’ is leading to more and more genetic PROBLEMS for all of us, as time goes on.

psi
    The take home message of all this is that if "harmful" mutations (your term) were as prevalent as you are suggesting, there would be no life on this planet. Biology is far more complex than your understanding here shows (most peoples for that matter).

But ‘harmful’ mutations are only prevalent in ratio to ‘beneficial’ ones – the ABSOLUTE numbers of ALL mutations are quite small in relation to the overall ‘size’ of the biosphere.
    The reason why ‘harmful’ mutations don’t wipe out life, even though there are thousands of them for every ‘beneficial’ mutation, is because the total number of mutations is still relatively small in relation to the size, diversity and perfection of each genome.
    It is also due to the fact that organisms were perfectly Created, to start with - and so mutations are degrading predominantly PERFECT genetic information.
    In addition, any mutations that are grossly harmful, are lethal or semi-lethal, and they are therefore not passed on to progeny.

Scofflaw
    You're a pollution in the intellectual life of the world, frankly.

A brave statement from somebody who believes that his brain is a chance assemblage of molecules controlled by genetic information that is ultimately descended from the DNA of Slime Balls!!!

Also a brave statement from somebody facing eternal perdition, if he loses his ‘one way bet’ that the God of the Bible doesn’t exist.

It is quite OK if you personally wish to take such risks, but you really should provide an appropriate ‘warning’ if you are encouraging others to do likewise.

Something like ‘ATHEISM COULD SERIOUSLY DAMAGE THE QUALITY OF YOUR ETERNAL LIFE’ would be a reasonable ‘warning’ and it would allow members of the public to make a fully informed choice in relation to adopting Atheism on either a part-time or a full-time basis!!!.:D :)

Scofflaw
    I'm an alatrist - I don't deny the possible existence of divinity, or the supernatural, or anything else we lack the power to examine, but I have yet to see anything that it's necessary to bow down to.

Whatever you’re having yourself!!!!

In your case then, something like ‘ALTATRISM COULD SERIOUSLY DAMAGE THE QUALITY OF YOUR ETERNAL LIFE’ would be a reasonable ‘warning’ to anybody planning to adopt your beliefs!!!!:D :)

Scofflaw said:
    I don't even deny the possible existence of your God - my reasons for not worshipping him are religious, not scientific. There's certainly no reason for me to require some sort of evolutionary process to account for the supernatural, as if terrestrial evolution were the only process by which life has changed, and solid terrestrial life the only form of life possible. We're about, what, 200 years into science and we know everything? I think not.
    I, again, appreciate your candour. And your view of evolution as maybe just a part of the explanation of life and the universe as a whole is certainly more credible than the materialistic one. I venture to say your view will become the majority one in a few years, as the irresistible force of the ID argument wins the day. The scientific community will move to the position of Prof. Fred Hoyle, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hoyle

I'll go further - people will accept ANY explanation of the universe, provided it is not the Christian one. The present materialistic evolutionists will be queuing up to theorize on the sort of Aliens they think are responsible for seeding our universe and guiding it along its upward evolutionary pathway.

Maybe that will co-incide with our 30,000th post! :D

• Advertisement

robindch said:
    Seriously, it's worth a read -- I wasn't aware that Ham had put saddles on dinosaurs, and cut Adam's penis off, presumably to preserve the "family values" of Idiot America
    It was worth a read, just to see how someone blinded by their presuppositions operates. He was so infatuated with his own intellectual superiority that he failed to see the bogus nature of his ridicule.

His premise would have been valid, if evolution is absolutely proven fact. His argument centred on any denial of that being a priori idiotic. All he proved was that he has a closed mind on the matter, a faith-based belief in the veracity of evolution.

As to saddles on dinosaurs, I assume this is just a bit of illustration of the fact that dinosaurs and man co-existed. I doubt it was meant to convey that man rode on T-Rexs. Man and lions co-exist today, but I'm not aware of any being used for transport. I have seen them in the form of kiddies rides, the plastic ones in shopping centres or museums.

Yes, I'm sure it is a bit of a dilemna for museum exhibitors to be accurate in displaying human nakedness. One wants the kids to be up close and take a real interest in all that is on exhibit, but where accuracy would demand a full-frontal adult nakedness, I think some modest euphemism is better. An absent penis would be misleading, but a judiciously held pumpkin or such should do the job.

You may call such modesty idiotic, but that poses the question as to where you would draw the line in presenting real-life to kids.

J C wrote:
    But many ‘harmful’ mutations DON’T affect fertility or fecundity and ARE therefore passed on and so they DO survive within populations.

Name one purely harmful condition with no benefit that survives in populations.
    Natural Selection ISN’T a clinical system that precisely assesses ‘fitness’ – it is a pretty ‘hit and miss’ affair – and a lack of ‘fitness’ for one particular trait can easily be overcome by the presence of ‘fitness’ for another trait or indeed it can be completely over-ridden by strong sexual selection for another trait.
    In the animal kingdom, most animals have inherent senses of the fitness of a mate, some of this cross over survives in man today.

If there is a trait that has some side effects, it doesn't mean it is harmful, it probably confers a greater survival advantage in another way.

If this is what you are getting at, then your definition of "harmful" is prejudiced and therefore incorrect.
    Equally, some ‘beneficial mutations’ may also never be passed on to progeny – lack of fecundity, genetic masking or sexual aversion to the trait bearer can result in ‘beneficial’ traits never being expressed in populations.

Again, you're thinking in a very limited and incorrect fashion. The chances are more likely that such mutations aren't isolated. Even the rareness fatal genetic diseases manifest among several populations isolated from each other. This is the point of cumulative genetic mutation. Each step that does not lead to a fatal congenital disorder may spread through a population. Anything that is beneficial, will arise enough times to become dominant.
    Each individual comes as a ‘package’ of good, bad and indifferent traits. The idea that NS magically ensures that only the ‘perfect’ go on to reproduce, is another myth that Evolutionists continue to confuse themselves with!!!!:eek: :D

No, you seem confused. evolution doesn't apply to individuals, it applys to populations and anyting "good" will arise from the previous genotype in enough abundance to take over. You dont really believe an entire population can arise from one mutation in one organism, do you? That would be silly.
    The reason that we have healthy organisms is IN SPITE OF mutations – and NOT because of them. Healthy organisms are the result of a perfect Creation by God and our ever-increasing ‘mutational load’ is leading to more and more genetic PROBLEMS for all of us, as time goes on.

Says who? How then do you explain the evolution of brown/dark migmentation in birds and moths habitats with high pollution, where trees and surfaces were darkened by soot? Dark coloured varients arose from nowhere while their lighter coloured relatives died out?

These organisms didn't survive in spite of evolution, they thrived because of it. And they weren't created that way, they changed.

But ‘harmful’ mutations are only prevalent in ratio to ‘beneficial’ ones – the ABSOLUTE numbers of ALL mutations are quite small in relation to the overall ‘size’ of the biosphere.

Says who? Mutations occur frequently in every generation. There is no such thing as a perfect biological copy.

The reason why ‘harmful’ mutations don’t wipe out life, even though there are thousands of them for every ‘beneficial’ mutation, is because the total number of mutations is still relatively small in relation to the size, diversity and perfection of each genome.

That's incorrect, you're working off an assumption that I've already shown you to be wrong and taking it a step further with pure fantasy.
    It is also due to the fact that organisms were perfectly Created, to start with - and so mutations are degrading predominantly PERFECT genetic information.

Why then do we have the likes of brown sparrows and moths evolving to survive? If they are surviving as a less perfect creature, then they are obviously doing so against the creators will. So the end result is that the creator still has no power or control over life.

In addition, any mutations that are grossly harmful, are lethal or semi-lethal, and they are therefore not passed on to progeny.

*boggle*

you end with that statement after starting off with this one:
    J C wrote:

Confused much?

Originally Posted by J C
    I share your view that presenting the evidence against Evolution is reasonable.
    If you TRULY believe what you are saying, I look forward to the day when conventionally qualified Creation Scientists or ID proponents are invited along their local school to ‘assist’ in the delivery of this particular part of the curriculum.
    Creation Scientists and ID proponents are, after all, the EXPERTS on the scientific evidence against Evolution!!!

Scofflaw
    No, I was thinking of scientific evidence. "Creation Scientists" (not conventionally qualified) have no place in a science class

I agree that people who are NOT conventionally qualified have no place in science class.

However I WAS talking about CONVENTIONALLY QUALIFIED scientists from mainstream Universities, many of whom are ALREADY science teachers, who also happen to be Creationists or who have studied Intelligent Design.

These people are ALREADY presenting the evidence FOR Evolution in class – why not let them present the (much greater) evidence AGAINST Evolution??:confused::confused:

Scofflaw
    have you heard of the "Anthropic Principle"? Perhaps you can tell me how it would apply to your calculations?

Yes indeed, the Anthropic Principle is the (very logical) requirement that all theories of the Universe are constrained by the necessity to allow for Human existence.

Creation Science has no difficulties with this principle and Creation Science is actually grounded on the fact that God created the Universe with the existence of Human Beings very much in mind.

My calculations indicate that the undirected production of a simple protein (and by logical extension Human Beings) is a mathematical impossibility. Therefore macro-Evolution doesn't provide an adequate mechanism for Human existence and thus ‘falls foul’ of The Anthropic Principle.:D :D

Robin
    I wasn't aware that Ham had put saddles on dinosaurs, and cut Adam's penis off, presumably to preserve the "family values" of Idiot America

The ‘saddled Dinosaur’ is an obvious (and quite impactful) metaphor for the contemporaneous existence of Dinosaurs with Humans.

I don’t understand WHY you have reservations about the MODEST presentation of a naked Adam at the Creation Museum.
    Are you seriously suggesting that a ‘full frontal’ nude statue of Adam should have been displayed at the Museum, which aims to attract children from ‘babes in arms’ upwards?

The modest presentation of Adam is both a child protection AND a Christian imperative.

The grauituous exposure of children to a full frontal nude image would be quite inappropriate.

Adam and Eve were both unashamedly naked in their innocence BEFORE the Fall.
    However, as soon as sin entered the World after the Fall, public nudity ceased and God reinforced this reality by actually providing clothing for Adam and Eve in Gen 3:21 “Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them”.

Could I remind people that we are STILL decidedly post-Fall and therefore any public display of gross nudity is distinctly inappropriate – even for an image depicting a pre-Fall Adam.

Robin
    Oh, yes, and here's quite a good article from Esquire magazine last year, on Ken Ham and his "museum".

It’s actually about much more than Ken Ham’s Museum.
    …and here are a few interesting quotes from the said ‘good article’:-

“Genesis 2:25 clearly says that at this point in their lives, "And the man and his wife were both naked, and they were not ashamed." If Adam courageously sat there unencumbered while he was naming saber-toothed tigers, then why, six thousand years later, should he be depicted as a eunuch in some family-values Eden? And if these people can take away what Scripture says was rightfully his, then why can't Charles Darwin and the accumulated science of the past 150-odd years take away all the rest of it?”

I have adequately dealt with the first part of this quote in my previous post above.

I would draw everyone’s attention to the claim in the second part of the quote that “Charles Darwin and the accumulated science of the past 150-odd years” has taken away all of the rest of the Genesis account of Creation (and by implication the rest of the Bible with it).

However, the theory of Evolution falls apart under scientific scrutiny – and every breakthrough in recent years from the discovery of ‘Mitochondrial Eve’ to ‘Y chromosome Adam’ has put further ‘nails in the coffin’ of Materialistic Evolution.

The Word of God remains steadfastly true and all objective science supports it.

“It doesn't matter what percentage of people believe they ought to be able to flap their arms and fly, none of them can.”
    But ironically that IS what EVOLUTION posits as to how flight occurred.
    Evolutionists claim that some animal started off by taking ‘running jumps’ and flapping an appendage – and over millions of years it’s descendants sprouted wings and became birds and bats!!!

“It doesn't matter how many votes your candidate got, he's not going to turn lead into gold.”
    Again that IS what EVOLUTION posits – the biological equivalent of turning Lead into Gold – which is the ‘transmutation of Mud into Man’ by random natural processes.

"In Washington, William Frist, a Harvard-trained physician and the majority leader of the United States Senate, endorsed the teaching of intelligent design in the country's public schools. "I think today a pluralistic society," Frist explained, "should have access to a broad range of fact, of science, including faith."

So the balanced opinion of a Harvard-trained physician and the leader of the US Senate counts for NOTHING with Evolutionists when he says what they don’t want to hear.

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw

You might also have observed that I don't generally call myself an atheist (I am sometimes one, but it's a faith-based position, and all of us doubt)

I have heard of a ‘Sunday Christian’ - and now we have an ‘Part-time Atheist’ or a ‘Doubting Atheist’.

Does this mean that you have doubts about your doubt about the existence of God ??!!!!:D :)

Essentially I mean that the existence or non-existence of God remains unprovable with the tools and techniques currently at our disposal, and that God, having been proposed as a hypothesis, requires balanced consideration rather than instant dismissal.

Obviously, my holding such a position tempts the Christian (and other theist) to believe that I am one short step from being saved. I actually think the dogmatic atheist is in more danger than myself, since their position is often simply a rejection of theism, and all that holds them away from religion is frequently some small slender thread, easily snapped. I, on the other hand, am behind miles of doubt and argument, full of the barbed wire of observation and the machinegun nests of logic - which is why arguments between myself and committed theists tend to resemble trench warfare.
    J C wrote:
    I must praise your intellectual honesty in admitting that Atheistic Humanism is a ‘faith based position’.

I don't recall mentioning Humanism.
    J C wrote:
    Atheism’s faith position also comes with considerable ‘downside’ if it is wrong.
    The WORST that can happen a Christian when he/she dies is that they ‘cease to exist’.
    The Atheist, on the other hand could find himself / herself facing God’s justice without any remission of his/her sins!!!! :eek:

This is the essence of Pascal's wager, and is incorrect in several particulars.

If atheists are correct, the worst thing that can happen to a Christian is that they live their single life by the tenets of the tribal religion of a bunch of Middle Eastern primitives, turning your back on much of what life offers and making misery for those around you. In essense, you waste your single life, and insist that others waste theirs.

If Christians are correct, the worst that can happen when they die is that they get flung into Hell, to be tortured for all eternity. Statistically, this is more likely than not - every Biblical mention of Hell and punishment emphasises the fact that few will be in Heaven (even if you sidestep the 144,000 by claiming it's non-literal). "Narrow the way, and strait the gate."

Obviously, this will also happen to an atheist if some sects of Christian are correct. However, having read the Bible, and listened to the proponents of these particular interpretations of Christianity, I reject these utterly. Even if you are correct, your God is a puffed-up tyrant deserving of no-one's worship.
    J C wrote:
    Of course, a ‘Doubting Part-time Atheist’ like yourself, COULD always become a Christian thereby securing your eternal destiny PERMANENTLY………..!!!

…………….say but the words “I believe on Jesus Christ” ………….????

And, yes, you're one of the creeds that I particularly despise.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw

I am also perfectly happy to take up any atheist who is so foolish as to claim that science supports his position rather than any other, or that his position is based on anything other than faith.

I don't even deny the possible existence of your God - my reasons for not worshipping him are religious, not scientific.

All very logical, but it still comes with the considerable ‘downside’ of not being saved!!!.

Christianity is a ‘win win’ faith.
    You get to live a happy, fulfilled life here on Earth, in communion with the God that Created you
    – and you also get to spend an eternity with Him in Heaven when you die!!!:cool: :cool:

You might want to ask what the reasons are before getting all giddy.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    There's certainly no reason for me to require some sort of evolutionary process to account for the supernatural, as if terrestrial evolution were the only process by which life has changed, and solid terrestrial life the only form of life possible. We're about, what, 200 years into science and we know everything? I think not.

Fair enough.

However, you do realise that such rational and circumscribed sentiments, ALSO apply to every theory of Biological Macro-Evolution as well !!!!!:)

Er, no. It checks out, you see. The alternatives have so far all proven to be rubbish that fails to explain the observations - what use is that?

The fact that we don't know everything isn't the same as "we know nothing and might as well accept any piffle set in front of us, no matter how ludicrous", which is what it takes to swallow Creationism.
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    Organic matter can form out of inorganic matter.

Look Wicknight, we have been over this numerous times before.
    The great Louis Pasteur scientifically PROVED that life can only arise from other life and DISPROVED the widespread belief, at the time, that maggots and ‘lower’ life-forms spontaneously generated out of dirt.

Yes, and then science moved on. It is now generally regarded as necessary that life had a beginning - something which even you hold to be true. Clearly, if you want to hold to your claims above, you have only the "mechanism" of miracle to start life with - very profound, but neither provable nor useful.

Generating self-replicating molecules is easy (see Severin K, Lee DH, Kennan AJ, and Ghadiri MR, A synthetic peptide ligase. Nature, 389: 706-9, 1997). That such self-generating molecules get more complex as time passes is trivially easy. You keep forgetting that Mount Improbable is climbed by way of the steps, not straight to the top in a single bound.
    J C wrote:
    This FACT has such high certainty and importance, that it has been accorded the status of a full Law of Biology.

So Wicknight:-
    1. Organic matter CANNOT form out of inorganic matter.
    2. A living organism is ALWAYS required to perform the task of assimilating dead material into living tissue – it’s the point where biogenesis meets biosynthesis!!!!! ;) :cool:

Er, no, it isn't. There really aren't any laws in Biology - and if there are, evolution is one of them, so why you think you can beat us down with the "authority" of laws that you don't accept, I'm not certain - although I suspect idiocy.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    You're a pollution in the intellectual life of the world, frankly.

A brave statement from somebody who believes that his brain is a chance assemblage of molecules controlled by genetic information that is ultimately descended from the DNA of Slime Balls!!!

Also a brave statement from somebody facing eternal perdition, if he loses his ‘one way bet’ that the God of the Bible doesn’t exist.

It is quite OK if you personally wish to take such risks, but you really should provide an appropriate ‘warning’ if you are encouraging others to do likewise.

Something like ‘ATHEISM COULD SERIOUSLY DAMAGE THE QUALITY OF YOUR ETERNAL LIFE’ would be a reasonable ‘warning’ and it would allow members of the public to make a fully informed choice in relation to adopting Atheism on either a part-time or a full-time basis!!!.:D :)

By and large I don't evangelise, for exactly that reason - my choices are my own, and I wouldn't care to drag anyone else into them in case I am wrong. However, it should be pointed out that Biblical Christianity needs to come with a label saying "CHRISTIANITY COULD SERIOUSLY REDUCE THE QUALITY OF YOUR ONLY LIFE" - but somehow I can't see you accepting that.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    I'm an alatrist - I don't deny the possible existence of divinity, or the supernatural, or anything else we lack the power to examine, but I have yet to see anything that it's necessary to bow down to.

Whatever you’re having yourself!!!!

In your case then, something like ‘ALTATRISM (sic) COULD SERIOUSLY DAMAGE THE QUALITY OF YOUR ETERNAL LIFE’ would be a reasonable ‘warning’ to anybody planning to adopt your beliefs!!!!:D :)

As per above. If you have a psychological need to abase yourself before what you conceive to be powerful, while glorying in your special place in that tyrant's favour - well, you're normal.

Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    Scofflaw said:

I, again, appreciate your candour. And your view of evolution as maybe just a part of the explanation of life and the universe as a whole is certainly more credible than the materialistic one. I venture to say your view will become the majority one in a few years, as the irresistible force of the ID argument wins the day. The scientific community will move to the position of Prof. Fred Hoyle, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hoyle

I'll go further - people will accept ANY explanation of the universe, provided it is not the Christian one. The present materialistic evolutionists will be queuing up to theorize on the sort of Aliens they think are responsible for seeding our universe and guiding it along its upward evolutionary pathway.

Maybe that will co-incide with our 30,000th post! :D

Hmf. I'm candid, I'm a scientist, I'm not an obligate materialist, I accept the possibility of the supernatural, and I don't even deny the possible existence of God. I accept that I might well go to Hell, if you and yours are right, and I have come to terms with that. I don't think we know all the answers, and I don't have any problem saying so. I think religion is a good thing for most people, and I can understand the idea of looking at the world in an entirely different way from the scientific.

Now, tell, me - given all that is true, why do you think I am so convinced of the correctness of evolution as opposed to creation? Hmm?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    No, I was thinking of scientific evidence. "Creation Scientists" (not conventionally qualified) have no place in a science class

I agree that people who are NOT conventionally qualified have no place in science class.

However I WAS talking about CONVENTIONALLY QUALIFIED scientists from mainstream Universities, many of whom are ALREADY science teachers, who also happen to be Creationists or who have studied Intelligent Design.

These people are ALREADY presenting the evidence FOR Evolution in class – why not let them present the (much greater) evidence AGAINST Evolution??:confused::confused:

They're not presenting scientific evidence. It would be like having people come into your French class to talk in Aramaic about how bad a language French is - hard to justify spending the time on.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    have you heard of the "Anthropic Principle"? Perhaps you can tell me how it would apply to your calculations?

Yes indeed, the Anthropic Principle is the (very logical) requirement that all theories of the Universe are constrained by the necessity to allow for Human existence.

Creation Science has no difficulties with this principle and Creation Science is actually grounded on the fact that God created the Universe with the existence of Human Beings very much in mind.

My calculations indicate that the undirected production of a simple protein (and by logical extension Human Beings) is a mathematical impossibility. Therefore macro-Evolution doesn't provide an adequate mechanism for Human existence and thus ‘falls foul’ of The Anthropic Principle.:D :D

Leaving aside for the moment the fact that your calculations are complete rubbish, let me point this out: no matter how unlikely life is, it is here. The odds against it could genuinely be as large as you state, and that doesn't prevent it happening (there are no odds that actually prevent an event, or render it impossible) - it would only mean that we were incredibly lucky, and shouldn't expect to find life anywhere else.
    J C wrote:
    Robin
    I wasn't aware that Ham had put saddles on dinosaurs, and cut Adam's penis off, presumably to preserve the "family values" of Idiot America

The ‘saddled Dinosaur’ is an obvious (and quite impactful) metaphor for the contemporaneous existence of Dinosaurs with Humans.

I don’t understand WHY you have reservations about the MODEST presentation of a naked Adam at the Creation Museum.
    Are you seriously suggesting that a ‘full frontal’ nude statue of Adam should have been displayed at the Museum, which aims to attract children from ‘babes in arms’ upwards?

The modest presentation of Adam is both a child protection AND a Christian imperative.

Any exposure of children to a full frontal nude image would be quite outrageous and would be rightly classed as child abuse.

I must remember that next time I take my daughter to the National Gallery.
    J C wrote:
    Adam and Eve were both unashamedly naked in their innocence BEFORE the Fall.
    However, as soon as sin entered the World after the Fall, public nudity ceased and God reinforced this reality by actually providing clothing for Adam and Eve in Gen 3:21 “Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them”.

Could I remind any nit-pickers 'out there' that we are STILL decidedly post-Fall and therefore any public display of gross nudity is distinctly inappropriate – even for an image depicting a pre-Fall Adam.

And can I ask why we're not still wearing our God-given clothing of skins? Go on, let's hear it.
    J C wrote:
    The Word of God remains steadfastly true and all objective science supports it.

And just to remind any first-time readers that this is what is actually under discussion in this thread, and that no evidence has been offered to support JC's claims.
    J C wrote:
    Indeed it is ALSO a recurring theme on this thread that Evolutionists routinely deride the scientific qualifications of all conventionally qualified scientists who are Creationists or ID proponents !!!

Possibly because so many of them turn out to have degrees from degree-mills and only hold positions at Creationist "Institutes". Most of the remainder turn out to have qualifications that are totally unrelated to any discipline in which they might be expected to understand biology. The qualifications of a mechanical engineer to discuss evolution are exactly the same as a layman, and to quote their titles/degrees/position as you do is purely a marketing tactic designed to give their statements undue weight.

I certainly deride yours, by the way - did you ever decide what they were?

Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Keep it up, brothers in Christ! With this effort, we can take this thread to 200 pages!

Or we could take all this effort spent in round-about argument convincing no-one of anything, and spend it on clothing the poor and feeding the hungry.

I have to honest with you guys, I honestly think that the amount of effort wasted on this crap is something that makes Satan grin. You have convinced no-one of anything, and insulted non-literal six-day creationist Christians with claims that they have a weak faith.

This thread, and the effort spent on it, has brought no love into anyone's life. Please stop.

psi
    Name one purely harmful condition with no benefit that survives in populations.

Short sightedness, long sightedness, and a list ‘as long as your arm’ of genetic diseases and other diseases with a genetic component like certain cancers, Heart Disease etc
    ……and possibly the most ‘harmful’ condition of them all – premature baldness or even mature baldness – although the fashion trend towards shaved heads is helping me somewhat in this regard - and the 'cure' of castration is certainly worse that the 'disease' in this case - and so I think I will just suffer on!!!!:D :)

psi
    In the animal kingdom, most animals have inherent senses of the fitness of a mate, some of this cross over survives in man today.

The abilty to ‘sense fitness in a mate’ is often completely absent after 10 drinks at 2am in a noisy, dimly lit Disco!!!!:D
    .....and so another Evolutionist idea 'bites the dust'!!:)

psi
    Each step that does not lead to a fatal congenital disorder may spread through a population.

Which leaves plenty of ‘room’ for debilitating (as distinct from lethal) conditions to spread. The fact that debilitating conditions are not widespread is ANOTHER proof of a RECENT perfect Creation.

psi
    evolution doesn't apply to individuals, it applys to populations

..but populations are made up of individuals and the selection ‘unit’ is the individual – so evolution is totally reliant on individuals!!!

psi
    How then do you explain the evolution of brown/dark migmentation in birds and moths habitats with high pollution, where trees and surfaces were darkened by soot? Dark coloured varients arose from nowhere while their lighter coloured relatives died out?

All colour variants were and continue to be present in the genome of these bird / moths.
    Dark coloured variants predominated in certain areas but it is now recognised that all of these areas DIDN’T coincide with areas of gross air pollution.

A further confounding issue is that the Moths apparently predominately live on the GREEN leaves of trees and rarely if ever alight on the grey or the putatively black soot-covered bark of the trees – so ‘riddle me this’!!!!

Originally Posted by J C
    In addition, any mutations that are grossly harmful, are lethal or semi-lethal, and they are therefore not passed on to progeny

psi
    you end with that statement after starting off with this one:

Originally Posted by J C
    But many ‘harmful’ mutations DON’T affect fertility or fecundity and ARE therefore passed on and so they DO survive within populations

psi
    Confused much?

No need for confusion – both statements are in agreement and you have identified succinctly how this happens in the following quote yourself:-
    psi
    Each step that does not lead to a fatal congenital disorder may spread through a population

i.e. lethal mutations generally don’t spread within a population (although genetically recessive lethal conditions can spread and late-onset conditions can also spread)
    However, debilitating conditions certainly can and do readily spread within populations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

... having read this thread... please lock it. for this we are truely thankful!

Amen.

J C wrote:
    psi
    Short sightedness, long sightedness, and a list ‘as long as your arm’ of genetic diseases and other diseases with a genetic component like certain cancers, Heart Disease etc

Nope, sorry, you're making a habit of of giving your opinion as some sort of fact which is ultimately wrong. Sight related dis-orders have a genetic advantage. As our culture develops heavy usage of the eys for examining close objects (reading, using computers), the eyes has evolved to become inclined to focus at near objects, thus we have short sightedness. The same reverse trend works for long-sightedness. We also see, that these conditions aren't actually present at birth, the genetic manifestation is a "plyability" of the eye towards what it is most used for.

Heart disease is linked to an allele of the MMP3 gene which is a multi-functional gene. There is considerable research on this, but the indications thus far is that the heart disease side-effect is a incidental to the actual selection process on that gene. In other words, the allele itself is beneficial, but the recent change in lifestyle among our population, particularly with regard diet, means that we now have a percentage at risk to heart disease, which is a recently prevelant condition.

Cancer itself is an evolutionary process. to a single cell organism, cancer is a good thing. It is only in multi-cellular organisms that you see disease manifestation. Cancer-processes themselves are most likely part reponsible for the development of complex multi-cellular organisms - the same processes are seen in the developing foetus for example (stem cells and cancer stem cells share many processes). Again, increase in fatal cancer incidence is related to our relatively fast change in lifestyle.

So 0/3 for you, none of your examples hold water. Hard luck.
    ……and possibly the most ‘harmful’ condition of them all – premature baldness or even mature baldness – although the fashion trend towards shaved heads is helping me somewhat in this regard - and the 'cure' of castration is certainly worse that the 'disease' in this case - and so I think I will just suffer on!!!!:D :)
    Actually, notice how baldness is a Y-linked process and notice how cultural influences on short hair are focused towards men. Baldness is actually a result of a cultural selection process. Certain hair styles and hair practices block the flow of sebum towards the base of the hair follicle - and so interfering with the arrival of the stem cells to the dermal papilla with consequent hair miniaturization. Thus we have baldness. As we have no direct disadvanatge of this, we see no selection to remove the tendency towards baldness.
    The abilty to ‘sense fitness in a mate’ is often completely absent after 10 drinks at 2am in a noisy, dimly lit Disco!!!!:D
    .....and so another Evolutionist idea 'bites the dust'!!:)
    Evolution processes take more than a couple of thousand years to manifest if there is no direct threat to the survival of the race. 2am discos as a source for mating process in humans are not quite the mainstay yet so I don't see your point.
    Which leaves plenty of ‘room’ for debilitating (as distinct from lethal) conditions to spread. The fact that debilitating conditions are not widespread is ANOTHER proof of a RECENT perfect Creation.
    or equally they are just a result of selection pressure. In fact, in many animal populations, such selection has been observed through extinction processes. Thus your so called proof is a fallacy. On top of that the fact that 99% of all species that have existed are now extinct doesn't lend towards perfect creation at all.
    ..but populations are made up of individuals and the selection ‘unit’ is the individual – so evolution is totally reliant on individuals!!!
    That is flawed reasoning. I could just as easily say that individuals make up populations and no individual can engage in evolution without interaction with the rest of the population - a critical mass of population no less.
    All colour variants were and continue to be present in the genome of these bird / moths.
    Dark coloured variants predominated in certain areas but it is now recognised that all of these areas DIDN’T coincide with areas of gross air pollution.
    recognised by whom? You're making stuff up now.
    A further confounding issue is that the Moths apparently predominately live on the GREEN leaves of trees and rarely if ever alight on the grey or the putatively black soot-covered bark of the trees – so ‘riddle me this’!!!!
    Again your making stuff up, depending on the species moths will live on leaf or bark. The brown ones live on and under dead bark and lay eggs there. Some who lay green eggs do so on leaves (although I believe butterflies are more likely to fit here).
    No need for confusion – both statements are in agreement and you have identified succinctly how this happens in the following quote yourself:-
    psi
    Each step that does not lead to a fatal congenital disorder may spread through a population

i.e. lethal mutations generally don’t spread within a population (although genetically recessive lethal conditions can spread and late-onset conditions can also spread)
    However, debilitating conditions certainly can and do readily spread within populations.
    name a debilitating condition that spreads Yo have yet to do so.

• Advertisement

> It was worth a read, just to see how someone blinded by their
    > presuppositions operates.

What heart-warming irony it gives me to see a creationist write this!

The point of the article, which you seem to have missed, is that some unscrupulous people are able and willing to take advantage of others, by subverting belief in belief, or conflating passion with truth. This isn't a presupposition, but an description of what's going on. I suspect you'll deny this, though.

> As to saddles on dinosaurs, I assume this is just a bit of illustration of the
    > fact that dinosaurs and man co-existed. I doubt it was meant to convey
    > that man rode on T-Rexs.

I believe his description is accurate, with the dinosaur no doubt waiting for another dickless creation to show up and ride him around the plains of Mesopotamia. I can confirm this, because I've been at a Ham lecture where he showed cartoons -- cartoons!! -- of stone-age people riding about on the backs of dinosaurs. I'm not joking, though I wish I were.

When you hear that promoters of creationism saying things like this and expecting to be taken seriously by paleontologists, do you ever feel even a mild twinge of embarrassment?

> You may call such modesty idiotic, but that poses the question as to where
    > you would draw the line in presenting real-life to kids.

I hope no kids are reading this thread, but half of the human race really does have mens' bits, while the other half really do have womens' bits! It's fascinating that some people want to protect kids from this basic biological issue. But then again, it's not the only fact of basic biology that religious people would prefer to airbrush away :)

robindch wrote:
    > You may call such modesty idiotic, but that poses the question as to where you would draw the line in presenting real-life to kids.

I hope no kids are reading this thread, but half of the human race really does have mens' bits, while the other half really do have womens' bits! It's fascinating that some people want to protect kids from this basic biological issue. But then again, it's not the only fact of basic biology that religious people would prefer to airbrush away :)

Children, at least in normal families, think of the bits as being for toiletary functions, and neither more nor less worthy of comment and interest than any other part of the body, except when doing comparative anatomy on the parent or sibling of the other sex. Possibly some of these people were scarred for life by having their toddler pointing and laughing, and don't wish to repeat the experience in public with a statue.

It explains how the US gets to have its huge STD and teen pregnancy rates, I guess - difficult to be careful with something that is not publicly admissible as existing.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

By the way, JC, I should of course have pulled you up on your usual partial-quoting technique. When you said this:
    J C wrote:
    "In Washington, William Frist, a Harvard-trained physician and the majority leader of the United States Senate, endorsed the teaching of intelligent design in the country's public schools. "I think today a pluralistic society," Frist explained, "should have access to a broad range of fact, of science, including faith."
    So the balanced opinion of a Harvard-trained physician and the leader of the US Senate counts for NOTHING with Evolutionists when he says what they don’t want to hear.

They don’t even accord Senator Dr Frisk his earned academic distinction of being a Medical Doctor or his democratically endorsed distinction of being a US Senator – dismissively referring to him as “Frisk”.

Common courtesy demands that people’s academic and authoritive distinctions should be recognised and respected!!!!

Indeed it is ALSO a recurring theme on this thread that Evolutionists routinely deride the scientific qualifications of all conventionally qualified scientists who are Creationists or ID proponents !!!

you failed to mention that the following paragraph - the following paragraph ffs, starts like this:
    That faith is not fact, nor should it be, and that faith is not science, nor should it be, seems to have eluded Doctor Senator Frist.

You really are a piece of work, JC.

Scofflaw

> Possibly some of these people were scarred for life by having their toddler
    > pointing and laughing, and don't wish to repeat the experience in public with a statue.

Perhaps. But I prefer to see that statue as an endearing metaphor for how amazingly and incorrigibly inaccurate AiG is -- even very young kids must notice that Adam doesn't have a penis! Anyhow, as ever, Gibbon had it right when he made this observation about the early church fathers:
    It was their favourite opinion, that if Adam had preserved his obedience to the Creator, he would have lived for ever in a state of virgin purity, and that some harmless mode of vegetation might have peopled paradise with a race of innocent and immortal beings.
    Ah, Gibbon... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wow, finally something decent to post about on boards, though it looks like it's been here for a while.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there's anything that everyone agrees on?

1: Do people agree that there is something called evolution which is at work right now?

2: Do people agree that the origins of life are unknown or at least unprovable for the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sorry. question three for the creationist side.

Is there any evidence other then the bible for your argument?

> though it looks like it's been here for a while.

Welcome to the madhouse. We've been at this for just over a year -- in fact, the thread's first birthday was on wednesday last week! Should have had a few beers to celebrate it :)

> 1: Do people agree that there is something called evolution which is at work right now?

People who accept evolution do believe this. Creationists, on the other hand, break evolution down into micro-evolution (intra-species) which they agree exists, and what they call macro-evolution, which they deny exists. They also deny the existence of the fossil record, DNA evidence, radio-dating, continental drift, layering evidence, cosmic-background radiation, the big bang, large distances in the universe, red-shifted stars, and many, many, many other things.

> Do people agree that the origins of life are unknown or at least unprovable for the moment?

People who accept evolution do not claim to know how life arose, nor do they claim that the Modern Synthesis explains how it arose either and are open to any consistent, testable explanations for which there is evidence. Creationists assert that people who accept evolution claim they know the answer to everything, despite constant reminders from the people who accept evolution that they don't claim that. Creationists also assert that since the origins of life are currently unknown, that their own theory about the origins of life must therefore be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

gosplan wrote:
    Anyway, I'm wondering if there's anything that everyone agrees on?
    Yes. This is indeed a mad house.......carrion Lions......really.
    Happy birthday to us all.

Scofflaw
    By and large I don't evangelise, for exactly that reason - my choices are my own, and I wouldn't care to drag anyone else into them in case I am wrong. However, it should be pointed out that Biblical Christianity needs to come with a label saying "CHRISTIANITY COULD SERIOUSLY REDUCE THE QUALITY OF YOUR ONLY LIFE" - but somehow I can't see you accepting that.

For a guy who claims to not ‘evangelise’ you seem to expend a lot of effort and words in promoting your particular ‘worldview’ – and I applaud you for doing so!!!

Anyway, please tell me HOW my Christian faith could seriously reduce the quality of my life?

Scofflaw
    Now, tell, me - given all that is true, why do you think I am so convinced of the correctness of evolution as opposed to creation? Hmm?

I don’t honestly know – could you tell me, perhaps?

Scofflaw
    no matter how unlikely life is, it is here. The odds against it could genuinely be as large as you state, and that doesn't prevent it happening (there are no odds that actually prevent an event, or render it impossible) - it would only mean that we were incredibly lucky, and shouldn't expect to find life anywhere else.

I think it was Professor Dawkins who said (and I am paraphrasing him here) that ‘we can only rely on luck to get us so far’.

It is a mathematical fact, supported by the Law of Large Numbers that something with odds in excess of 10E+100 is IMPOSSIBLE (without the assumption of an effective infinity of matter and time).:D

Scofflaw
    And can I ask why we're not still wearing our God-given clothing of skins?
    The clothing was a once off gift from God to Adam and Eve.

The original skins obviously ‘wore out’ and we now have 6 billion people to clothe – and an extensive industrial clothing industry that has taken up the task of providing Human clothing.

Scofflaw
    If Christians are correct, the worst that can happen when they die is that they get flung into Hell, to be tortured for all eternity.

Not correct.

Jesus Christ died in perfect atonement for ALL our sins.
    Therefore EVERYONE who places his or her faith in Jesus Christ and asks for their sins to be forgiven WILL RECEIVE SALVATION.

So NO Christian will be ‘flung into Hell’.

Scofflaw
    Statistically, this is more likely than not - every Biblical mention of Hell and punishment emphasises the fact that few will be in Heaven (even if you sidestep the 144,000 by claiming it's non-literal). "Narrow the way, and strait the gate."

Yes ‘the gate’ is indeed narrow – because salvation can only be secured through a belief in one man, Jesus Christ.

…….but nonetheless, innumerable (i.e. probably billions) of people WILL be saved as confirmed in Rev 8:9-10 “after this I beheld, and lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne and unto the Lamb” (KJV).

Just Half
    This thread, and the effort spent on it, has brought no love into anyone's life.

What’s love got to do with it?
    This is a science and theology-based debate on the validity of Creation versus Evolution, and specifically the validity of the Genesis account of Creation.

Creation / ID versus Evolution is the ‘great debate’ of science today – and so far, I have to say that Creation Science and ID are winning ‘hands down’ against Evolution.

………and speaking of ID, here is an interesting website that will answer all of the questions that you were afraid to ask on the science of Intelligent Design
    http://www.arn.org/blogs/index.php/3/2006/10/16/press_release_evolution_dismissed_at_eur

Of particular interest, is the ID scientific society called the International Society for Complexity, Information, and Design (ISCID), which can be accessed from the ‘linkblog’ down on the right hand side of the page.

So ID is rapidly becoming a fully fledged peer-reviewed science discipline with it’s own autonomous International Society.
    Of course, the reaction by some members of the dominant paradigm of Evolution has followed a predictable pattern – denial followed by attempted repression.
    But it has all been ‘to no avail’ and ID has now ‘come of age’ and is out there rapidly replacing Materialistic Evolution with the truth of the Intelligent Design of life - both in acadaemia and among the general public.

The Heavens proclaim the glory of God - and now ID is discovering and scientifically evaluating His amazing design of living things!!!

Scofflaw
    you failed to mention that the following paragraph - the following paragraph ffs, starts like this:
    Quote:
    That faith is not fact, nor should it be, and that faith is not science, nor should it be, seems to have eluded Doctor Senator Frist.

I stand corrected - and I have amended my posting accordingly. To err is Human!!

• Advertisement

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw

For a guy who claims to not ‘evangelise’ you seem to expend a lot of effort and words in promoting your particular ‘worldview’ – and I applaud you for doing so!!!

Not really - I don't actually promote atheism/alatrism on this forum. Here I am primarily interested in defending science in the popular court, if you like.
    JC wrote:
    Anyway, please tell me HOW my Christian faith could seriously reduce the quality of my life?

Well, if you prefer to be Biblically literalist, there are quite a number of things that you don't get to enjoy. Of course, many of those who choose to be Biblical literalists would probably not enjoy such things anyway, so the point is moot - hence the "could".
    JC wrote:
    Scofflaw

I don’t honestly know – could you tell me, perhaps?

Not yet - I'm interested in why you think I think the theory is correct, when I have no axe to grind. I don't believe that science supports my world-view - I think science is science: what it reveals about the universe is amazing, and frequently pleasing, but it doesn't support atheism, as many, both theist and atheist, seem to believe.

JC wrote:
    Scofflaw
    no matter how unlikely life is, it is here. The odds against it could genuinely be as large as you state, and that doesn't prevent it happening (there are no odds that actually prevent an event, or render it impossible) - it would only mean that we were incredibly lucky, and shouldn't expect to find life anywhere else.

I think it was Professor Dawkins who said (and I am paraphrasing him here) that ‘we can only rely on luck to get us so far’.

It is a mathematical fact, supported by the Law of Large Numbers that something with odds in excess of 10E+100 is IMPOSSIBLE (without the assumption of an effective infinity of matter and time).:D

I keep meaning to ask - is this Law of Large Numbers the generally known one that goes:

"The law of large numbers is a fundamental concept in statistics and probability that describes how the average of a randomly selected sample from a large population is likely to be close to the average of the whole population."

I don't see how it's relevant to your case. Perhaps you mean the "law of truly large numbers", which goes like this:

"The law of truly large numbers says that with a large enough sample many odd coincidences are likely to happen."

I would think that one would rather work against your case, though.

Anyway, the odds aren't what you think they are for abiogenesis. Your odds are still based on generating a specific modern protein from scratch, and still no-one but you claims this is what occurred. You appear to have left out all the intermediate steps.

Please go and find the mathematical law you are actually talking about.
    JC wrote:
    Scofflaw
    And can I ask why we're not still wearing our God-given clothing of skins?
    The clothing was a once off gift from God to Adam and Eve.

The original skins obviously ‘wore out’ and we now have 6 billion people to clothe – and an extensive industrial clothing industry that has taken up the task of providing Human clothing.

Thanks. I shall bear that in mind when next someone says that x or y is done because that's what was done in the Bible.

JC wrote:
    Scofflaw
    If Christians are correct, the worst that can happen when they die is that they get flung into Hell, to be tortured for all eternity.

Not correct.

Jesus Christ died in perfect atonement for ALL our sins.
    Therefore EVERYONE who places his or her faith in Jesus Christ and asks for their sins to be forgiven WILL RECEIVE SALVATION.

So NO Christian will be ‘flung into Hell’.

And are all your fellow Christians in agreement, or is this a personal interpretation?
    JC wrote:
    Scofflaw
    Statistically, this is more likely than not - every Biblical mention of Hell and punishment emphasises the fact that few will be in Heaven (even if you sidestep the 144,000 by claiming it's non-literal). "Narrow the way, and strait the gate."

Yes ‘the gate’ is indeed narrow – because salvation can only be secured through a belief in one man, Jesus Christ.

…….but nonetheless, innumerable (i.e. probably billions) of people WILL be saved as confirmed in Rev 8:9-10 “after this I beheld, and lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne and unto the Lamb” (KJV).

My dear, don't quote Revelations as if it were meant to be taken literally. Surely you know better, after all the warnings that have been dished out on this very forum not to do so. It's quite clearly one of the figurative or allegorical bits of the Bible.
    JC wrote:
    Just Half
    This thread, and the effort spent on it, has brought no love into anyone's life.

What’s love got to do with it?
    This is a science and theology-based debate on the validity of Creation versus Evolution, and specifically the validity of the Genesis account of Creation.

An extremely precise summary.
    JC wrote:
    Creation / ID versus Evolution is the ‘great debate’ of science today – and so far, I have to say that Creation Science and ID are winning ‘hands down’ against Evolution.

Actually, Creationism vs Evolution was the great debate of science in the second half of the 1800's. The current debate is Creationism vs Science, and thus far Creationism has persuaded virtually nobody but ignorant Christians (and by extension their elected representatives) - although I'll grant you there's a lot of those in some parts of the world.
    JC wrote:
    ………and speaking of ID, here is an interesting website that will answer all of the questions that you were afraid to ask on the science of Intelligent Design
    http://www.arn.org/blogs/index.php/3/2006/10/16/press_release_evolution_dismissed_at_eur

Interesting - I particularly like the description of MEP Maciej Giertych as someone who has "spent his life working at the highest levels of genetic research". He's a forestry expert, actually - here the Wikipedia entry. Why does the article you reference not mention that he is a member of a British Creationist society, and is a committed Biblical Creationist?

Honestly, why does this have to happen with every single Creationist article? Is there not one article that can accurately describe the qualifications of the Creationist protagonists? Do you always have to pretend that the people concerned are disinterested scientists with stellar records in relevant topics rather than Creationist has-beens from fields unrelated to evolution?
    JC wrote:
    Of particular interest, is the new ID scientific society called the International Society for Complexity, Information, and Design (ISCID), which can be accessed from the ‘linkblog’ down on the right hand side of the page.

Why particularly interesting? I note Behe, Dembski, and other familiar names as usual. At this stage the Creationist movement appears to have as many Institutes with fancy titles as it does "experts".
    JC wrote:
    Scofflaw
    Quote:

I stand corrected - and I have amended my posting accordingly. To err is Human!!

To err repeatedly in exactly this manner is Creationist.

Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement