Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

wolfsbane wrote:

That article isn't true (I haven't bothered to read the rest)

Once in a great while a child will be born with a “tail.” But is it really a tail? No, it’s just a bit of skin and fat that tells us, not about evolution, but about how our nervous systems develop.
    Then the baby will be born, not with a tail, but with a fatty tumor.

That simply isn't true.

Why do you and JC continue to post nonsense from AnswersInGenesis.org?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Wicknight wrote:
    Why do you and JC continue to post nonsense from AnswersInGenesis.com?

Possibly because it's such a good source - pretty much Grade A+ unadulterated stuff? The pure drop, as they say...

handing JC the straight line as ever,
    Scofflaw

From the BBC:
    BBC wrote:
    Humans show major DNA differences

Scientists have shown that our genetic code varies between individuals far more than was previously thought.

A UK-led team made a detailed analysis of the DNA found in 270 people and identified vast stretches in their codes to be duplicated or even missing.

"One of the real surprises of these results was just how much of our DNA varies in copy number. We estimate this to be at least 12% of the genome.

"The copy number variation that researchers had seen before was simply the tip of the iceberg, while the bulk lay submerged, undetected. We now appreciate the immense contribution of this phenomenon to genetic differences between individuals."

For those of us still clinging obstinately to the idea of specified complexity meaning that human beings DNA can't possibly be changed more than a tiny bit without death resulting.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Son Goku wrote:
    I'm not using it to prove we evolved from apes or any other animal, because it isn't decent evidence of that.

Actually as far as I understand the theory of evolution does not suggest that!
    Doesn't the theory suggest not that humans evolved from apes but that apes and humans BOTH evolved from a common ancestor.

i am not just making the point to correct the assumption but there are also theological implications. If for example humans evolved from apes we could say that God came along and gave people a soul and a spirit at some point. But if BOTH humans and apes evolved from Lucy then how come one sibling of the family inhereted the soul and the other sibling was left (all be it with a vestigial tail or even a full one in the case of some monkeys which dont count anyway because they are distant cousins -do chimps have tails? they are siblings ) without any soul or spirit?
    The fact is certain humans are born with these tail like structures, what do Creationists make of these tail like structures. Their existence isn't an evolutionary fairy-tale, even though the link to ape ancestors might be.

"ape like" not "ape" We dont have simian antecedents as I understand it simians and humans have the SAME antecedents.

How about all the people who lived in the land of Nod East of Eden (c.f. Genesis 4:16? Could they have been simians? Cro Magnons? Neanderthals? Capable of breeding with humans?
    In other words what do you think they are?

Or how about an angel-human hybrid? I don't really go for that theory either.
    And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of Elohim saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And Yahweh said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of Elohim came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. And Elohim saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

A few pages back I would have said Orrorin tugenensis instead of apes, but by now, especially with JC's ridiculous responses to my QFT posts, I've given up being exact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Scofflaw wrote:
    From the BBC:

For those of us still clinging obstinately to the idea of specified complexity meaning that human beings DNA can't possibly be changed more than a tiny bit without death resulting.

There seems to be some dissent about how these figures are being interpreted.

I saw the following (I think on a Slahdot comment) mentioned earlier...

If you compare one gene with another, and find that they differ by a single nucleotide, do you say that the two genes are different, or that they are 99.98% the same (i.e. 4999/5000 nucleotides match)?

Once you start comparing the entire genome, do you count these differences by the number of differing genes, or the number of differing nucleotides?

This isn't exactly what is being reported on, but it shows how - as always - there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

The studies published today have found that instead of having just two copies of each gene - one from each parent - people can carry many copies, but just how many can vary between one person and the next.

So what we've found is that people can have many copies of a single gene...but not that the differences within those genes are greater than previously thought.

It also appears to be the case that some are saying that instead of 99.9% the same its now only about 90%, where are others are saying that the differences are at least 10x (rather than 10%) greater than before...which would say 99% the same instead of 99% the same.

Yes, it is a big breakthrough in genetic modelling if correct....but its not necessarily redefining the playing field as much as some seem to be reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Son Goku wrote:
    A few pages back I would have said Orrorin tugenensis instead of apes, but by now, especially with JC's ridiculous responses to my QFT posts, I've given up being exact.

...as evidenced by your use of the word "few" here ;)

bonkey wrote:

I saw the following (I think on a Slahdot comment) mentioned earlier...

If you compare one gene with another, and find that they differ by a single nucleotide, do you say that the two genes are different, or that they are 99.98% the same (i.e. 4999/5000 nucleotides match)?

Once you start comparing the entire genome, do you count these differences by the number of differing genes, or the number of differing nucleotides?

This isn't exactly what is being reported on, but it shows how - as always - there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

The studies published today have found that instead of having just two copies of each gene - one from each parent - people can carry many copies, but just how many can vary between one person and the next.

So what we've found is that people can have many copies of a single gene...but not that the differences within those genes are greater than previously thought.

It also appears to be the case that some are saying that instead of 99.9% the same its now only about 90%, where are others are saying that the differences are at least 10x (rather than 10%) greater than before...which would say 99% the same instead of 99% the same.

Yes, it is a big breakthrough in genetic modelling if correct....but its not necessarily redefining the playing field as much as some seem to be reporting.

Absolutely! However, the claim that I was specifically interested in here was the creationist claim that we are "tightly specified", and that even small changes in our DNA makeup would be fatal. See JC's posts about the amazing complexity and huge information-denseness of human DNA, and how it's unbelievably exact - a claim which is even more ridiculous in the light of this finding.

It doesn't really matter whether the individual genes are different in the copy-shuffles - it's the fact that the human genome contains variable numbers of copies of genes that makes a mockery of "tightly specified". If I claimed that copies of the Encyclopedia Britannica were "tightly specified", you would not expect to find that different copies had randomly repeated articles, or randomly missing articles, or that the articles were on different pages in different copies of the encyclopedia, would you?

Obviously, I'm not expecting JC or wolfsbane to change their position as a result of this information, because their position is not evidence-dependent.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

bonkey wrote:

Dissent in scientific community?

How does that fit into the grand-atheists-"down with God"-evolution-is-always-correct-Christians-are-always-wrong theory :p

Wicknight wrote:

How does that fit into the grand-atheists-"down with God"-evolution-is-always-correct-Christians-are-always-wrong theory :p
    It's the femi-nazi lesbians, they're always up to no good.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote:

It's uncannily like the way Creationists like to reference the research they claim can't be published...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Originally Posted by J C

Those are two of hundreds of different tests

…..and they(radiometric tests) are ALL founded on equally shaky, unproven (and circular) assumptions!!!!

JimiTime

Hi JC, Can this point be ellaborated on a point by point basis? If I may suggest a format.
    1.The test used eg. Carbon dating : what is its shaky unproven assumptions?

2. test used. what is its shaky unproven assumptions.

Etc etc.
    I am curious.

Hi JimiTime

Apologies for the delay – but I was away for the past week, and not following the thread.

Radiocarbon Dating IS the most accurate radiometric dating method – and it is reasonably accurate for dating organic matter with ages up to a few thousand years.

The rate of decay of 14C is such that half of it will convert back to 14 N in 5,730 +/- 40 years. That is the half life of 14C is 5,730 +/- 40 years.
    In two half lives or 11,460 years only one quarter will be left and theoretically after 60,000 years less than one thousandth of the original 14C will remain.

However, when it comes to Radiocarbon Dating, things are not quite that simple.

Firstly, plants discriminate against CO2 molecules that contain 14C. That is, they take up less than would be expected from the ratio of 14C to 12C in the atmosphere and so they test “older” than they really are (based upon atmospheric ratios of 14C : 12C when they were alive).

Secondly, different plants discriminate differently against 14CO2 and this adds further complexity to interpreting radiocarbon “dates” involving plant tissue remnants.

Thirdly, the ratio of 14C : 12C in the atmosphere has not been constant – for example, it was higher before the industrial era, when massive burning of ‘fossil fuels’ released vast quantities of CO2 that was depleted in 14C. This makes things that lived during this time period appear “older” in terms of carbon dating.

Fourthly, the amount of cosmic rays penetrating the Earth’s atmosphere affects the amount of 14C being produced. The amount of cosmic rays reaching the Earth varies with the Sun’s activity.

Fifthly, the strength of the Earth’s magnetic field affects the amount of cosmic rays entering the atmosphere and the magnetic field varies by up to 100% between different locations on Earth.
    The overall strength of the Earth’s magnetic field has also been rapidly decreasing – and this decline has been confirmed to be exponential and with a half life of only 1400 years – i.e. the magnetic field is declining at a rate 50% in 1400 years – and so significantly more 14C is now being produced than in the past, making old plant material look even “older” than it really is.

Direct measurement of historically dated objects, such as, for example, plant material in graves of accurately dated tombs, enables the 14C ratio in the atmosphere to be determined historically, and so calibration of the ‘carbon clock’ is possible for the past few thousand years.

My big reservations aren't with Radiocarbon Dating however, my primarily reservations are in relation to radiometric ROCK dating – where very serious dating discrepancies have occurred with many rock samples of known recent ages!!!

ALL radiometric dating methods are based upon the following unproven ASSUMPTIONS:-
    1. That the starting conditions are known (for example, that there was no daughter isotope present at the start, or that we know how much daughter isotope was there).
    2. That decay rates remained constant.
    3. That the systems were closed so that no parent or daughter isotopes were added or lost throughout the period that that rock has existed
    These unproven and unprovable ASSUMPTIONS prevent any reliable dating conclusions being drawn.

Indeed, there are many examples of known recently formed rocks being radiometrically dated at millions of years old.
    For example, rock samples taken from submarine lava flows from Kilauea volcano in Hawaii, which are known to have occurred in the 1950’s, have been radiometrically ‘dated’ at 4 million years old.

Equally, the K-Ar ‘dating’ of five historical andesite lava flows from Mt Ngauruhoe in New Zealand during 1949, 1954 and 1975 produced radiometric ages that varied from 0.27 to 3.5 MILLION years old!!

There are numerous other examples including the remains of trees that were radiometrically ‘dated’ at c40 THOUSAND years BP and clearly buried under basalt that flowed over them - which was radiometrically ‘dated’ at c 40 MILLION years BP. Could I remind you that this difference IS 100,000% !!!

In a study by Dr Steve Austin of the Institute for Creation Research, Basalt rocks from the Uinkaret Plateau of The Grand Canyon (which most Evolutionist Geologists accept are only thousands of years old) had the following DIFFERENT ages ‘established’ by radiometric dating :-

Six Potassium-Argon ages.............from 10,000 to 117 Million years.
    Five Rubidium-Strontium ages........from 1,270 to 1,390 Million years.
    One Rubidium Strontium isochron....1,340 Million years.
    One Lead-Lead isochron................2,600 Million years.

CiDeRmAn
    So, what, in your estimation qualifies as "Conventional Science"?
    I mean where do you draw the line between what is conventional and what is not

‘Conventional Science’ is the body of scientific knowledge, which has been discovered and accepted by ‘Conventionally Qualified Scientists’.

‘Conventionally Qualified Scientists’ are scientists qualified in one or more scientific disciplines by a recognised conventional state-approved third-level academic authority.

CiDeRmAn
    Seeing as science is a continuum of logic from Newtonian laws of motion to M-theory, combining the insights of both quantum, string and relativitistic physics, how do you split that up into what christians find digestable and what they don't?

Being a Christian, has NO effect on what I find ‘digestible’ as a scientist.

As conventional physics has progressed it has become more speculative and almost metaphysical in some of it’s conclusions.
    As a scientist I accept repeatably verifiable phenomena – but I keep an ‘open mind’ on all other speculative theories (like the Higgs Boson for example).

In the case of macro-Evolution the evidence against it is so overwhelming as to effectively invalidate it as a Scientific Theory (for people of all faiths and none).

CiDeRmAn
    How do you as christians come to term with the fact that the very device you are posting to threads on is working according to well nderstood atomic and quantum behaviour, predictable due to our understanding of the deep structure of the universe?

If a particular part of modern science is not in keeping with your beliefs, have you examined your belief system to see if it is consistent with observable data? After all that is the essence of the scientific method.

The reason that computers work in a predictable ordered way is that they operate in accordance with intelligently designed information dense programmes that are analogous to the ordered information dense systems observed in living organisms.

Could I ask you if you have actually examined YOUR evolutionary beliefs in the light of the SCIENTIFICALLY observed information dense, tightly specified living organisms that populate our planet?

Figures like 10^130 for the odds of randomly producing the sequence for a specific protein or 10^40,000 for producing the specific biochemical sequences for an amoeba are dramatic proof AGAINST Materialistic Evolution when we consider there are only 10^82 electrons in the entire postulated ‘Big Bang’ Universe.

Materialistic Evolution IS actually the idea that is growing increasingly out of line with the findings of modern science!!!:D

JimiTime
    Here is what I propose.

1. Avoid 'evolutionists are stupid because', 'creationists are stupid because' type scenarios.
    2. Anything other than evidence and things of the like(your discretion required) that may wind someone up, don't say it. (e.g. i find it funny how..., etc etc)
    3. If anyone does fire some mud, break the circle and don't fire back.

An excellent idea.
    However, could I point out that I have NEVER referred to Evolutionists as ‘stupid’ nor have I called them liars or questioned their scientific standing or their qualifications.
    As you have correctly pointed out such Ad Hominem attacks would add nothing to the debate.

However, my evolutionist opponents have not been as charitable in their comments about either myself or other Creationists.

Both Evolutionists and Creationists are intelligent people who have different views on the ‘origins question’ - and there are conventionally qualified scientists of high academic standing on both sides of the debate.:D

JimiTime
    I would love to see this debate played out rationally. The only creation scientist I have observed is JC. JC does not seem to be deemed a scientist by his science peers (Son Goku etc). So maybe we should establish something first. The following questions are not accusations

JC, are you a scientist? Or are you a christian who has looked at ways of disproving evolution through science?

I have said it before, and I say it again that I am a Conventionally Qualified Scientist.

Thankfully, it was the National University of Ireland that determined that I am a conventionally qualified scientist, and not Son Goku.

Whether Son Goku accepts my scientific abilities is about as relevant as whether he accepts that the Earth is spherical.

If he accepts it then it makes little difference – and if he doesn’t accept it, then the only person on whom it reflects badly is Son Goku himself!!!:D :)

Wicknight
    Mutation that can and do produce an increase in genetic material have been observed. A few times actually.

mmm……….so increases in genetic material have been observed only “a FEW TIMES actually” (emphasis mine).

Firstly, could I point out that increases in genetic material DON’T necessarily result in increases in genetic information – indeed there are many genetic DISORDERS that result from increased genetic material being present in the cell.

Secondly, isn’t it amazing that the supposed ‘engine of macro-Evolution’ i.e. increasing genetic material has only ever been observed in a VERY FEW highly debatable instances, and most of the time it results in deleterious conditions in the individual so affected.

If macro-evolution of primordial slime to Man were true, then we should expect to be ‘swamped’ in millions of examples of unambiguous increases in genetic information – rather than an increase in genetic material being observed only “a few (very debatable) times actually.”:D

Wicknight
    Who said faith was supposed to be easy? If it was easy it wouldn't be faith

I agree that GREAT faith is required to rationally sustain a belief in the macro-evolution of pond slime to Man, because it is so preposterous!!!:D

…..However, Jesus Christ confirmed that we required VERY LITTLE faith to believe in Him.
    In Lk 17:6 He said “if ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say onto this sycamine tree. Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea and it should obey you” (KJV).

The clear implication of these words is that the (small) AMOUNT of faith required to trust in Jesus Christ isn’t the issue – it is our WILLINGNESS to place our faith in Him, which is the problem.

Wicknight

How do you know the Bible isn't a test, to see if you would still believe in God once it was shown to be not literal or flawed?

If the Genesis Account of Creation WAS shown to be non-literal or flawed, your idea might have some merit – but because the Genesis account is fully scientifically supported, this issue doesn’t arise.:cool:

Robin
    What about the idea that god created a process which created DNA + RNA? Isn't that even more impressive than just making something? I presume that you don't believe that god carves out rivers and mountains and instead, that god created the processes that allow them to happen. If so, how come arriving at DNA + RNA through some process is different from arriving at rivers and mountains through some process?

If some process creating DNA + RNA de novo were observed, then your idea might have some merit – but because DNA is observed to require the pre-existence of other DNA and many other complex bio chemicals in order for it to replicate, your question simply doesn't arise.

God’s primary physical involvement with the Universe was during Creation Week – and so all physical processes like river formation and living systems follow the Laws instituted by God during Creation Week, and therefore the indirect result of His Divine Creation Fiat.

The original Creation of matter and life occurred on a ‘once off’ basis during Creation Week and that is why we currently don’t observe the spontaneous creation of either matter or life.:eek: :D

Wicknight
    Stars that appear to have exploded hundreds of thousands of years ago and who's light has only just reached us in the last 150 years, would have actually never existed in the first place. If you want to explain that I'm all ears.

If you are really 'all ears' then please listen!!!:D :)

Evolutionist Cosmologists are probably as wrong about their unfounded belief in ‘hundreds of thousands of light years Supernovae’ as their Biologist colleagues are about their equally unfounded belief in ‘millions of years fossils’.:eek: :D:)

Scofflaw
    How did you explain the nylon-digesting frame shift mutation?

A perfect digestion system for conventional substrate becomes an imperfect digestion system for Nylon substrate via a dramatic frame shift - so what!!!

It is actually evidence of the enormous genetic diversity pre-programmed into the genome of even a ‘humble bacterium’ by an omnipotent God!!!!:D :)

Scofflaw
    the only way you can explain 99.99% of (Evolutionists) not finding evidence for Genesis is a deliberate conspiracy of global extent and immense power.

Not really!!!!

Because the hostility amongst Evolutionists against Creationism is quite open, it is obvious that ‘not finding evidence for Genesis’ isn’t a conspiracy amongst Evolutionists – it is merely a result an obvious and overt bias on their part.

I would also point out that because less than 1% of conventional scientists are directly concerned with Evolution, and the remaining 90 odd percent don’t study it in any detail, the vast majority of Evolutionists simply accept Evolution as an ‘Article of Faith’.

Wicknight
    The idea that there is some widespread atheists conspiracy to hide the "truth" about creation within mainstream science is laughable to the point of totally absurdity.

Again I agree!!

Because the hostility towards Creation is quite OPEN, I don’t think that there is a CONSPIRACY amongst Evolutionists to HIDE the “truth” – it is more like a refusal to ACCEPT the truth.

Equally, less than 1% of conventional scientists are directly concerned with Evolution – and the remaining 90 odd percent just accept Evolution as an ‘Article of Faith’.

Wicknight
    Why does science suggest the Earth is actually a big ball of compressed stellar rock and gas from a star that exploded 5 billion years ago, when we know the Earth and everything in it was created by God over a 6 day period for us to live on?

An interesting question!!!

Wicknight
    Why does science suggest that the universe is 10 billion years old, when the heavens were created by God on the 2nd day of creation?

Wicknight
    Why is science claiming that humans evolved from older species approx 150,000 years ago when we know humans were created by God in the garden of Eden 10,000 years ago?

Wicknight
    Why is science claiming that all life on Earth evolves due to mutation and natural selection when we know that God made all life in one go during the 6 days of creation?

Wicknight
    at the back of all this that it is the work of Satan, after all Satan is known as the "Great Deciever"

An interesting conclusion!!!!

Well, well, Wicknight - you do ask some pretty fundamental questions, don't you??? :eek: :D

JC wrote:
    Scofflaw wrote:
    How did you explain the nylon-digesting frame shift mutation?

A perfect digestion system for conventional substrate becomes an imperfect digestion system for Nylon substrate via a dramatic frame shift - so what!!!

It is actually evidence of the enormous genetic diversity pre-programmed into the genome of even a ‘humble bacterium’ by an omnipotent God!!!!

The reason I asked was specifically because it was definitely not evidence of pre-existing genetics at all. It's a well-understood, simple mutation, that shifts all the 'letters' in the code by one. It wasn't there before, and it does something new and useful.

It's a mutation, not pre-existing genetic code - is that so difficult to understand?

Really, JC, there's no point in simply claiming it's something it isn't, just because it doesn't fit your preferred view. That's the sort of thing that makes us "less charitable" when it comes to your "scientific qualifications".

regards,
    Scofflaw

J C wrote:
    I have said it before and I say it again that I am a Conventionally Qualified Scientist.

Thankfully, it was the National University of Ireland that determined that I am a conventionally qualified scientist and not Son Goku.

Whether Son Goku accepts my scientific abilities is about as relevant as whether he accepts that the Earth is spherical.

If he accepts it then it makes little difference – and if he doesn’t accept it, then the only person on whom it reflects badly is Son Goku himself!!!:D :)
    Yeah, omgz, lolz, e.t.c.

However you said before that you were part of an elite group of creation scientists that were trained in all branches of science, in order to study origin questions. However the NUIs offer no such programmes.
    So what is your actual qualification?
    As conventional physics has progressed it has become more speculative and almost metaphysical in some of it’s conclusions.
    And these claims would be?
    Fourthly, the amount of cosmic rays penetrating the Earth’s atmosphere affects the amount of 14C being produced. The amount of cosmic rays reaching the Earth varies with the Sun’s activity.
    The Sun produces Cosmic rays? When did it become that energetic?

JC wrote:
    JimiTime wrote:
    Hi JC, Can this point be ellaborated on a point by point basis? If I may suggest a format.
    1.The test used eg. Carbon dating : what is its shaky unproven assumptions?

2. test used. what is its shaky unproven assumptions.

Etc etc.
    I am curious.

Radiocarbon Dating IS the most accurate radiometric dating method – and it is reasonably accurate for dating organic matter with ages up to a few thousand years.

This assertion by JC, that carbon-dating "IS the most accurate radiometric dating method" is his own opinion only. There is no particular point in basing anything on it.
    JC wrote:
    The rate of decay of 14C is such that half of it will convert back to 14 N in 5,730 +/- 40 years. That is the half life of 14C is 5,730 +/- 40 years.
    In two half lives or 11,460 years only one quarter will be left and theoretically after 60,000 years less than one thousandth of the original 14C will remain.

However, things are not quite that simple.

Firstly, plants discriminate against CO2 molecules that contain 14C. That is, they take up less than would be expected from the ratio of 14C to 12C in the atmosphere and so they test “older” than they really are (based upon atmospheric ratios of 14C : 12C when they were alive).

Secondly, different plants discriminate differently against 14CO2 and this adds further complexity to interpreting radiocarbon “dates” involving plant tissue remnants.

Thirdly, the ratio of 14C : 12C in the atmosphere has not been constant – for example, it was higher before the industrial era, when massive burning of ‘fossil fuels’ released vast quantities of CO2 that was depleted in 14C. This makes things that lived during this time period appear “older” in terms of carbon dating.

Fifthly, the strength of the Earth’s magnetic field affects the amount of cosmic rays entering the atmosphere and the magnetic field varies by up to 100% between different locations on Earth.
    The overall strength of the Earth’s magnetic field has also been rapidly decreasing – and this decline has been confirmed to be exponential and with a half life of only 1400 years – i.e. the magnetic field is declining at a rate 50% in 1400 years – and so significantly more 14C is now being produced than in the past, making old thinks look even “older” than they really are.

Direct measurement of historically dated objects, such as, for example, plant material in graves of accurately dated tombs, enables the 14C ratio in the atmosphere to be determined and so calibration of the ‘carbon clock’ is possible for the past few thousand years.

This is a fair summary of some of the known issues with radiocarbon dating. However, JC fails to mention that radiocarbon dates have been cross-checked against dendrochronology (the tree-ring record) that goes back up to 10,000 years - I suspect he is glossing over this because that's more than 6000 years.

Still, it's more accurate than his account of radiometric dating for rocks:
    JC wrote:
    My big reservations are however, primarily in relation to radiometric ROCK dating – where very serious dating discrepancies have occurred with many rock samples of known recent ages!!!

This is because the error range for many radiometric methods is of the order of +/- a couple of million years. That means that if you date a lava made yesterday, you could get dates from 2 MY ago to 2MY in the future. This makes radiometric dating methods usually more suitable for older rocks.
    JC wrote:
    ALL radiometric dating methods are based upon the following unproven ASSUMPTIONS:-
    1. That the starting conditions are known (for example, that there was no daughter isotope present at the start, or that we know how much daughter isotope was there).

Since we are dealing with minerals, like sphene, that will only take up the parent isotope when they are forming, this is a non-issue.
    JC wrote:
    2. That decay rates remained constant.

There is no evidence that they have not, and evidence that they have. There is also no known mechanism by which they would vary (apart from extreme temperatures - stellar temperatures).
    JC wrote:
    3. That the systems were closed so that no parent or daughter isotopes were added or lost throughout the period that that rock has existed

Again, JC does not understand that dating is usually done on minerals, which are closed systems. Most dating will be given as the age of specific minerals (eg sphene), or the age of the "bulk rock" where this is thought to be reliable. The rock as a whole may be an open system, but minerals have a specific crystalline structure that will not simply accept anything.
    JC wrote:
    These unproven and unprovable ASSUMPTIONS prevent any reliable dating conclusions being drawn.

Obviously untrue, despite JC's beliefs in the matter.
    JC wrote:
    Indeed, there are many examples of known recently formed rocks being radiometrically dated at millions of years old.
    For example, rock samples taken from submarine lava flows from Kilauea volcano in Hawaii, which are known to have occurred in the 1950’s, have been radiometrically ‘dated’ at 4 million years old.

Equally, the K-Ar ‘dating’ of five historical andesite lava flows from Mt Ngauruhoe in New Zealand during 1949, 1954 and 1975 produced radiometric ages that varied from 0.27 to 3.5 MILLION years old!!

See note above re. the error ranges, and the problems this causes in very young rocks.
    JC wrote:
    There are numerous other examples including the remains of trees that were radiometrically ‘dated’ at c40 THOUSAND years BP and clearly buried under basalt that flowed over them - which was radiometrically ‘dated’ at c 40 MILLION years BP. Could I remind you that this difference IS 100,000% !!!

This is from Snelling's paper, which has been discussed. First, Snelling actually took his "samples" from a nearby pile of mine slag. Second, what he sent in to the lab was almost certainly an iron nodule, not a tree. Third, radiocarbon dating is known to be unreliable over c12,000 years, so the result is irrelevant.
    JC wrote:
    In a study by Dr Steve Austin of the Institute for Creation Research, Basalt rocks from the Uinkaret Plateau of The Grand Canyon (which most Evolutionist Geologists accept are only thousands of years old) had the following DIFFERENT ages ‘established’ by radiometric dating :-

Six Potassium-Argon ages from 10,000 to 117 Million years.
    Five Rubidium-Strontium ages from 1.270 to 1,390 Million years.
    One Rubidium Strontium isochron 1,340 Million years.
    One Lead-Lead isochron 2,600 Million years.

See above for problems with young rocks. In addition, these ages from Dr Steve Austin are his own dates - and have been reviewed as follows:

"In summary, I can't really tell what Steven Austin is doing with his western Grand Canyon data. They keep changing and he never provides enough information to do an independent evaluation of important things like the isochron fit. In addition, he is ignoring what I and others have told him about using lava flows that are demonstrably not cogenetic, and he is ignoring Leeman's data, which clearly indicates that the rough correlation between the Rb and Sr isotopic ratios reflects time- integrated radioactive decay in the source rock(s), and not in the lava flows."

It appears likely, in this particular case, that Dr Austin has discarded data points that do not fit his chosen graphs...that is, he has created false isochrons and then trumpeted them as incorrect dates:

"Only ICR folks know why sample QU-3 was dropped, why sample QU-4 has never been used, and where samples QU-6 through QU-13 are. Until they publish all of the lab results and all of the data points, it will be difficult to assess exactly what has been going on.

The appearance at the moment is that their results are not the major blow against isochron methods that they are claiming. Until they are more open with their results (ALL of their results), that will have to suffice. "

As so often, then, a trite recapitulation of well-known, and surmountable problems, plus some Creationist frauds.

No Creationist, of course, is interested in any case where radiometric dating of any kind works, because no Creationist can accept the dates produced and remain a Creationist. This is why they focus exclusively on cases where the methods are inappropriate, and pretend that these few instances invalidate all radiometric dating. Since there aren't enough of these to make a big enough soundbite, they also produce false dates themselves.

Note that there is no Creationist alternative to radiometric dating. If they were correct, then there would simply not be any method of dating anything.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

J C wrote:
    .mmm……….so increases in genetic material have been observed only “a FEW TIMES actually” (emphasis mine).

Considering that it is such a rare event (so rare that Creationists claim it actually doesn't happen and is impossible) I think the fact that science has observed it a few times in the last 5 years is pretty good going. Of course science only has to observe it once to disprove the Creationists claim that it cannot ever happen (because God won't let it?)
    J C wrote:
    Firstly, could I point out that increases in genetic material DON’T necessarily result in increases in genetic information – indeed there are many genetic DISORDERS that result from increased genetic material being present in the cell.

Well that depends on how you define "information". As has been mentioned before the Creationist definition of "information" is nonsense because it requires the existence of God and intelligent design. If on the other hand you define information as the data stored in the genetic material of a creature then increase in genetic material is an increase in genetic information, and is the only requirement for evolution to take place.

Constantly re-defining "information" once the requirements that Creationists say can never happen have been shown to happen is an old Creationists trick JC, well documented and very tiresome at this stage.
    J C wrote:
    Secondly, isn’t it amazing that the supposed ‘engine of macro-Evolution’ i.e. increasing genetic material has only ever been observed in a VERY FEW highly debatable instances and most of the time it results in deleterious conditions in the individual so affected.
    No, considering macro-evolution is a very slow process, with "jumps" like these being very very are and uncommon events. Otherwise we would be chaning into new species all the time, which we aren't. As I said it is pretty amazing that we have seen this already, considering we have only been looking for the last 20 years or so.

What is actually funny is that Creationists can't let something go.

You have stated that an increase in genetic information producing new genetic code forming during replication, rather than just a re-arrangement of preexisting genetic material, is impossible, and therefore macro-evolution can never happen You are wrong.

Of course I don't expect you to accept this, I have always expected you to backtrack, state that that wasn't what you were talking about, attempt to re-define what you meant by "information", claim that science is mis-leading the results, claim that just because it happens once or twice doesn't prove it happened a lot over the history of the Earth, etc etc.

Which, surprise surprise, you are doing now. But you just come across looking silly.
    J C wrote:
    If macro-evolution of primordial slime to Man were true, then we should expect to be ‘swamped’ in millions of examples of unambiguous increases in genetic information
    No actually we wouldn't, since change between species (macro-evolution) is very slow taking a very long time to actually happen. Which is why we don't see new species evolving appear every few years.
    J C wrote:
    – rather than an increase in genetic material being observed only “a few (very debatable) times actually.”
    It only has to be observed once to prove that it is possible (and to disprove the Creationists claim that it is impossible). It has been observed more than once, it has been shown to be possible.

The same mutation process that allows micro-evolution to happen also allows macro-evolution to happen. Of course it was only ever Creationists who claim this couldn't happen, despite never actually giving a reason why it was impossible.

Don't they look a little silly now?
    J C wrote:
    Evolutionist Cosmologists
    There is no such thing as an "Evolutionists Cosmologist" :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    are probably as wrong about their unfounded belief in ‘hundreds of thousands of light years’ as their Biologist colleagues are about their belief in ‘millions of fossil years’.:eek: :D:)

No actually they aren't. My scientific evidence for this. Why AnswersInGensis of course!!

http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v15/i1/starlight.asp

Even your own religious movement accepts that the universe is billions of light years wide. You must be pretty desperate JC when you can't even get AiG to back you up.
    J C wrote:
    So what?? So it proves you are talking nonsense
    J C wrote:
    It is actually evidence of the enormous genetic diversity pre-programmed into the genome of even a ‘humble bacterium’ by an omnipotent God!!!!:D :)
    So God programmed life to evolve through evolution. Finally something JC that might actually make sense and fit with science.
    J C wrote:
    Because the hostility towards Creation is quite OPEN
    Oh it is quite open, because Creationists lie and misrepresent evidence and scientific findings, as has been documented a number of times on this thread alone.
    J C wrote:

Well JC, the answers is (promise not to tell anyone) "because it is"

Scofflaw wrote:
    It appears likely, in this particular case, that Dr Austin has discarded data points that do not fit his chosen graphs...that is, he has created false isochrons and then trumpeted them as incorrect dates:

Scofflaw you aren't suggesting that a Creationists would dileberate mis-represent and lie about his data are you :eek:

The horror!

J C wrote:

If there is a +- million year margin of error on some radiometeric dating methods (there is by the way) then if you date an object from today it might appear to be a million years old.

Equally if you date an object from 4.5 billion years ago, it might appear to be 4.499 billion years old. :eek:

So either way, you have still shown that the Earth is older than 10,000 years, so I fail to see your point JC?

It is well understood that radiometeric dating can gives dates that are a million years off, but science nor Creationists by the way, have ever put forward a process that can produce radiometeric dating that is billion of years off.

Think about it for a minute, if Creationist is correct then nothing can be older than 10,000 years. So what process explains the vast difference in dates?

If Creationist is correct then most rock on Earth are all the same date, 10,000 years. So how come the such wide spread of dating? Why does one rock appear to be 200 million years old, another appears to be 40 million years old, another appears to be 2 billion years old.

If there was a process creating the same error in all these dates, and all the rock was produced within the last 10,000 years, then they should all be dated to the same incorrect date (or near enough). Everything should appear to be be say 60 million years old, or 540 million years old.

While Creationists are happy to point out the error rates in radiometeric dating (using ironically enough well documented scientific research and then claiming science are unaware of the issue) Creationists have never explained how this supports Creationists?

Even if all the dating was wrong it still doesn't support Creationists because all the data if it is wrong is not wrong in a way that would support Creationist.

Creationist really have to get out of the habit of thinking that all they have to do is attack science (often by making things up, see Scofflaw's post) and that some how they will just "win" by default.

Even if radiometeric dating is wrong the Earth is still millions of year old, before radiometeric dating was invented scienctists knew the Earth was millions of years old based on heat levels, so that still doesn't help Creationists one bit.

What ever Creationists claim about radiometeric dating there is still no evidence at all that supports the idea that the Earth is 10,000 years old.

Son Goku
    The fact is certain humans are born with these tail like structures, what do Creationists make of these tail like structures. Their existence isn't an evolutionary fairy-tale, even though the link to ape ancestors might be.

In other words what do you think they are?

It is technically called a 'Caudal Appendage'. It is typically a 2 inch long fleshy growth on the lower back.
    Evolutionists like to claim that it is a vestigial tail even though it has virtually none of the distinctive anatomical characteristics of a tail.

The following link gives the facts about Caudal Appendages
    http://www.gennet.org/facts/metro07.html

In summary, it states the following:-

All true tails have bones in them that are a posterior extension of the vertebral column.
    All true tails also have muscles, which permit some movement of the tail.
    There has never been a single documented case of an animal tail lacking these distinctive features, nor has there been a single case of a human Caudal Appendage having any of these features. In fact, Caudal Appendages are merely fatty outgrowths of skin that are located in the wrong place on the back to be a tail! :D

Originally Posted by BBC

Scientists have shown that our genetic code varies between individuals far more than was previously thought.

A UK-led team made a detailed analysis of the DNA found in 270 people and identified vast stretches in their codes to be duplicated or even missing

"One of the real surprises of these results was just how much of our DNA varies in copy number. We estimate this to be at least 12% of the genome.

……and other Evolutionists claim that we share 98% of our genome with Chimpanzees.

Sounds like Evolutionists think that they are genetically closer to a Monkey than they are to their their Mother-in-Laws!!!!:eek: :D

I haven't seen the Monkey - so I couldn't possibly comment!!!!!:D

Scofflaw
    the claim that I was specifically interested in here was the creationist claim that we are "tightly specified", and that even small changes in our DNA makeup would be fatal. See JC's posts about the amazing complexity and huge information-denseness of human DNA, and how it's unbelievably exact
    Of course there is genetic variation between individual Human Beings – but this variation IS always within tight constraints – a Human Being is always a Human Being and an Oak Tree is always an Oak Tree.

The apparent paradox is illustrated by the following analogy.
    There are considerable differences between different car models – but each car is so tightly specified that if just one part is missing or in the wrong place the car will be useless!!!

There are about 3 billion base pairs in the Human Genome and their sequences ARE indeed observed to be tightly specified.
    For example, according to the head of the National Genome Research Institute (USA) a SINGLE misplaced ‘letter’ on the gene known as Lamin A or LMNA will cause Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria Syndrome (HGPS). The substitution of ONE Thiamine with ONE Cytosine in ONE gene out of 3 BILLION base pairs causes this terrible premature ageing syndrome – where unfortunate sufferers only live to an average age of 13 years old.

Son Goku
    The Sun produces Cosmic rays? When did it become that energetic?

When it was Created.:D :)

……and if you don’t believe me, can I quote from Wikipedia on the matter:-

“Cosmic Rays originate from energetic processes on the SUN all the way to the farthest reaches of the visible universe.”

Scofflaw
    This is a fair summary of some of the known issues with radiocarbon dating. However, JC fails to mention that radiocarbon dates have been cross-checked against dendrochronology (the tree-ring record) that goes back up to 10,000 years - I suspect he is glossing over this because that's more than 6000 years.

Firstly, please note that whether it’s 10,000 or 6,000 years it is ‘a far cry’ from the millions of years that Evolutionists talk about!!

Secondly, extended tree ring chronologies are far from absolute.
    Dendrochronology can only definitively age individual trees – any apparent overlap in the ring pattern between timber samples from different trees may be due to a coincidence of localised conditions in the growth patterns at two different times rather than proof of similar age.
    The oldest tree to be aged using Dendrochronology was a Bristlecone Pine aged 4,867 years when it was cut down in 1963 – thereby giving a germination date of 2,904 BC. This is currently the maximum age established by Dendrology. However, even this age comes with a ‘health warning’ because multiple growth rings have been observed within the one year in some Pine species and this Bristlecone Pine is likely to be somewhat younger than it’s number of rings suggests.
    The age of this tree is also interesting in that it coincides with the approximate aftermath of Noah’s Flood, i.e 2,500 +/- 300 years BC.:cool:

Wicknight
    My scientific evidence for this. Why AnswersInGensis of course!!

http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v15/i1/starlight.asp

Even your own religious movement accepts that the universe is billions of light years wide.

Firstly, I am an independent person with no ties to AIG.

Secondly Wicknight, I must say you SEEM TO BE exhibiting evidence of a ‘Pauline Conversion’ – actually quoting AIG no less – other Atheists please take note – say but the words “I believe on Jesus Christ” and you will be saved!!!!!

Thirdly, I actually believe that the Universe is INFINITE – so billions of light years are no problem to me – it is the claim that OBSERVED Supernovae are at such distances that I reject. :cool:

Wicknight
    So God programmed life to evolve through evolution. Finally something JC that might actually make sense and fit with science.

Wicknight, you ARE exhibiting evidence of a ‘Pauline Conversion’ – an Atheist now saying that GOD programmed (i.e. Created) life, whatever next!!!! ;):D

Originally Posted by Wicknight / JC
    Why is science claiming that humans evolved from older species approx 150,000 years ago when we know humans were created by God in the garden of Eden 10,000 years ago?

Wicknight
    Well JC, the answers is (promise not to tell anyone) "because it is"

…..because it is…….
    ………….true that God created Adam and Eve!!!!

Welcome to Creation Science, Wicknight
    …………..and your secret is safe with me – I promise not to tell anybody, especially those Secular Humanists that you used hang around with!!!!!;) :D

Wicknight
    It is well understood that radiometeric dating can gives dates that are a million years off, but science nor Creationists by the way, have ever put forward a process that can produce radiometeric dating that is billion of years off.

In the study by Dr Steve Austin of the Institute for Creation Research, Basalt rocks from the Uinkaret Plateau of The Grand Canyon (which most Evolutionist Geologists accept as only thousands of years old) had the following DIFFERENT ages ‘established’ by radiometric dating :-

Six Potassium-Argon ages from 10,000 to 117 Million years.
    Five Rubidium-Strontium ages from 1.270 to 1,390 Million years.
    One Rubidium Strontium isochron 1,340 Million years.
    One Lead-Lead isochron 2,600 Million years.

The rock was formed within the last few thousand years, but Potassium Argon tests aged it at as young as 10 THOUSAND years while a Lead-Lead isochron dated it at 2,600 MILLION years – sounds like the Lead-Lead isochron was ‘off’ by 2.6 BILLION years!!!!

Wicknight
    If Creationist is correct then most rock on Earth are all the same date, 10,000 years. So how come the such wide spread of dating? Why does one rock appear to be 200 million years old, another appears to be 40 million years old, another appears to be 2 billion years old.

The SAME rock in my example above gave ‘dates’ ranging from 10 thousand to 2.6 billion years – the ROCK obviously isn’t wrong – it’s the radiometric assumptions that are clearly wrong!!!

Always place your trust in the ROCK – Jesus Christ is the ROCK of our salvation – and He loves you, Wicknight and He wants to save YOU !!!!

Wicknight
    While Creationists are happy to point out the error rates in radiometeric dating (using ironically enough well documented scientific research and then claiming science are unaware of the issue) Creationists have never explained how this supports Creationists?

So, you accept that there are serious problems with radiometric dating then?

Such problems don’t directly support Creationism – but they do invalidate Evolutionist claims of ‘millions of years’!!!!:D

Wicknight
    Even if radiometeric dating is wrong the Earth is still millions of year old,

Don’t go getting all ‘Evolutionisty’ on me – just when I thought you were becoming a Creationist!!!!;) :D

• Advertisement

J C wrote:
    ……and other Evolutionists claim that we share 98% of our genome with Chimpanzees.

Sounds like Evolutionists think that they are genetically closer to a Monkey than they are to their their Mother-in-Laws!!!!

I haven't seen the Monkey - so I couldn't possibly comment!!!!!
    Do you understand how genetics works and what the 98% refers to?
    Plus, despite you making another of your lame jokes the finding is strongly against the whole "tightly specified" arguement.
    Why don't you explain how this doesn't effect your tightly specified information arguement instead?
    When it was Created.

……and if you don’t believe me, can I quote from Wikipedia on the matter:-

“Cosmic Rays originate from energetic processes on the SUN all the way to the farthest reaches of the visible universe.”
    Wikipedia has poor technical catagorization in this regard and you are confusing one use of the term for another to support your claims.
    The kind of Cosmic Rays which effect radioactivity come from the high end of the electromagnetic spectrum, which the Sun rarely produces.

However Wikipedia is using Cosmic Rays in the solar physics sense.

I also note the one part of my post you didn't respond to was the one asking for your qualifications.

J C wrote:
    BBC wrote:

A UK-led team made a detailed analysis of the DNA found in 270 people and identified vast stretches in their codes to be duplicated or even missing

Sounds like Evolutionists think that they are genetically closer to a Monkey than they are to their their Mother-in-Laws!!!!:eek: :D

I haven't seen the Monkey - so I couldn't possibly comment!!!!!:D

This is what's known in the trade as a "recent finding", or "new research". I understand your difficulty in grasping the idea, of course, what with your 2000-year old book being the ultimate authority and all.

In this case, the findings are compatible, although one of them is old, and the other one is new.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    the claim that I was specifically interested in here was the creationist claim that we are "tightly specified", and that even small changes in our DNA makeup would be fatal. See JC's posts about the amazing complexity and huge information-denseness of human DNA, and how it's unbelievably exact
    Of course there is genetic variation between individual Human Beings – but this variation IS always within tight constraints – a Human Being is always a Human Being and an Oak Tree is always an Oak Tree.

The apparent paradox is illustrated by the following analogy.
    There are considerable differences between different car models – but each car is so tightly specified that if just one part is missing or in the wrong place the car will be useless!!!

There are about 3 billion base pairs in the Human Genome and their sequences ARE indeed observed to be tightly specified.

Yes, JC. That's exactly the kind of silly claim that this finding refutes. Let me summarise it for you, since I know you to be hard of thinking:

A. Scientific Observation: that the human genome differs between individuals by up to 12% by virtue of random duplication, shuffling, and deletion of multiple copies of genes.

B. Creationist Claim: that the human genome is 'tightly specified' - so tightly specified that if just one part is missing or in the wrong place the genome will be useless (exclamation marks to taste).

A contradicts B.
    A is a fact, B is a claim.
    B loses.

You cannot address this piece of intrusive reality, so you have fallen back on mantra-like recitation of how the human genome is tightly specified - in the face of the evidence.

Have you considered putting your fingers in your ears and saying "la la la I can't hear youoo!" instead? Equally dignified, equally intelligent, and much shorter. I'll even indulge you a little - you can put your fingers in your ears and shout "la la la the human genome is tightly specified, it is it is it is" - well, that's what you're doing now, of course, so perhaps I am not so indulgent after all - just willing to accept reality.

summarily,
    Scofflaw

J C wrote:
    So, you accept that there are serious problems with radiometric dating then?

They aren't "serious" or "problems"

They are established margins of error.

Scientists know (have always known) that the dating of very old rocks, rocks that are tens or hundreds of millions of years old, can be out by a couple of hundred thousand years. It doesn't really matter. Knowing the Earth is 4.5 billion years old is pretty much the same as knowing the Earth is 4.49 billion years old.

Either way they show that Creationism is wrong, so this doesn't help your religious cause JC.

Oh and as Scofflaw points out, if the only evidence you have to support the claim that radiometeric dating can be billions of years out is Dr Steve Austin of the Institute for Creation Research then you have a problem since it appears his "research" is nonsense.

I would happily accept that fact that if you give radiometeric dating to a Creationist idiot he will come up with some bizare results, but then that isn't really surprising is it.

Wicknight wrote:
    They aren't "serious" or "problems"

They are established margins of error.
    I didn't even realise this until this post of yours, but looking over JC's old posts what he calls serious problems are all just experimental error margins.

Son Goku wrote:
    I didn't even realise this until this post of yours, but looking over JC's old posts what he calls serious problems are all just experimental error margins.

Well, to be fair, some of them are examples of inappropriate or incorrect use of dating techniques - carbon-dating excessively old (>10kYr) material (from a slag-heap), argon-dating argon-rich rocks, using whole-rock ages from contaminated or weathered rocks, etc.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    Well, to be fair, some of them are examples of inappropriate or incorrect use of dating techniques

Well as I said, if you let an idiot run a scientific test, they do it wrong, and you get a weird result you have a problem, but it isn't a problem with the science, it is a problem with how it is used.

The other point to remember is that these dating systems don't have to be exact, though I can understand JC coming from a religious background thinking that they have to be.

The Bible has to be exact because if it isn't then it cannot be taken seriously as the literal word of God. Science on the other hand doesn't. As I tried to explain to JC it doesn't really matter if the Earth is 4.5 billion years old or 4.49 billion years old. They both show that the Creationist model is incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Son Goku said:
    I'm not using it to prove we evolved from apes or any other animal, because it isn't decent evidence of that, I'm asking what do you think it is.
    Genetic defects? Like extra fingers, Spina Bifida?

Wicknight said:
    That article isn't true (I haven't bothered to read the rest)
    A pity you didn't get the whole picture then. The secular medical article said:
    Detailing the human tail.

Dubrow TJ, Wackym PA, Lesavoy MA.

Division of Plastic Surgery, Harbor/UCLA Medical Center, Torrance.

There have been 23 true vestigial tails reported in the literature since 1884. A new case is described, and its magnetic resonance imaging and pathological features are presented. A review of the literature and analysis of the pathological characteristics reveal that the vestigial human tail may be associated with other abnormalities. Vestigial tails contain adipose and connective tissue, blood vessels, and nerves and are covered by skin. Bone, cartilage, notochord, and spinal cord elements are lacking. Tails are easily removed surgically without residual effects. Since 29% (7 of 24) of the reported tails have been associated with other malformations, careful clinical evaluation of these patients is recommended.

Scofflaw said:
    So, at length, I personally conclude that
    A well thought-out analysis, even if I don't agree with it.
    (1) those scientists I know personally, and whose honesty I have no reason to doubt, do not think the evidence supports creationism
    Yes, and as you pointed out, the same goes for the other side.
    (2) I personally have seen that the geological evidence doesn't fit Genesis, in my judgement as a geologist
    Not being a geologist, I can't comment.
    (3) it is more likely that the 0.01% of scientists who are creationists are deluding themselves, than that everyone else is, over a matter where the evidence should be extremely clear
    Unless the contrary would present unacceptable conclusions: that the Bible is true and the God it declares is one we must give account to.
    (4) the 99.99% of scientists who don't think the evidence supports creationism include representatives of almost every religion, including some who are Biblical fundamentalists otherwise, whereas the 0.01% who think the evidence does support creationism consists almost entirely of Christians from Biblically fundamentalist sects
    The Biblical fundamentalists among them are happy to go with the flow, as they think it does not harm the Biblical picture. When they see it does, then they give the current accepted truth closer scrutiny.
    (5) the 99.99% of scientists who don't think the evidence supports creationism include many who would have a motive for finding that it does, whereas the 0.01% who think the evidence does support creationism consists entirely of those with an extremely strong motive to believe that this is the case
    As for the last point: they think it can be reconciled and that they need not go against the flow.
    (6) I don't think it is necessary to assume either dishonesty or insanity amongst those who believe that the evidence supports creationism. In nearly all cases, creationists do not seek evidence that supports or refutes their own beliefs - they concentrate on finding evidence against the mainstream belief, and simply assume that problems for evolution equate to support for creationism, because creationism is the default position for Biblical fundamentalists.
    The problems for evolution are like those for creationism: not absolute proofs either way. Creationists do make the positive case for creation from the evidence, not just from the problems evolution has:
    Geology and the Young Earth
    Answering those ‘Bible-believing’ Bibliosceptics
    by Tas Walker

http://trueorigin.org/walkergeo01.asp

So it is not a matter of these scientists being ignorant of the facts and holding sincerely to their religious beliefs. They knowingly argue the scientific case for creation and against evolution. They are reporting the scientifc facts and interpretating them honestly (even if mistakenly) or they are lying - or they are crazy. The same goes in general for the evolutionist scientists: when it comes to interpretating the evidence, they bring their world-view with them and they end up with an 'evolution with problems' model, just like the creationists end up with a 'creation with problems' model.

• Advertisement

Wicknight said:
    BTW since Humphrey's "theory" (I use the term losely) and Newtons "theory" are both contradictory, which do you believe?
    Not being relevantly qualified, I'm unable to say. They both are suggesting different models to account for the evidence. You dismiss any explanation than the one you favour as rubbish. I gather that is not uncommon in the scientific world. Even Einstein had to face that, I'm sure. And it being a subject of which so little is yet known for sure, how can you be so definite? I listened to a report on BBC Radio the other night on the expansion of the universe, its possible causes and prospects. All very iffy, even when opposing models were firmly held.
    Is following a comfortable lie easier to you than following a difficult truth? As I said, who said faith was supposed to be easy?
    It would be a lot easier for me to follow the lie and blend in with the majority. Following the truth is usually a difficult, unpopular road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement