Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Wicknight wrote:
    Who created "sin"?
    Satan
    Who created Satan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gosimeon

pH wrote:
    Who created Satan?

Rupert Murdoch (who is also omnipresent, mind you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

We have laws in our land. If someone breaks that law, whose fault is it, the lawmakers for creating the law, or the one who breaks it?

I must say I always find it rather surprising that people view the concept of "God" like this, in terms of "human but only with more power"

We define laws because ultimately we are slaves to nature, slaves to how our universe is defined. We cannot change the fabric of reality so we must define laws to live within that reality. We create laws to restrain people because we cannot change the fundamental aspects of humanity.

God can

To understand the power your own religion's definition of God entails, a much better way to view God is to view him as the ultimate computer programmer, and the universe, and us inside it are the computer program.

If I write a computer program this program is constrained by the definitions contained in the programs source code. Sure I can give the program a bit of intelligence, some would say free will, to decide how to react based on certain situations. But ultimately the reality that governs the computer program is defined by me. As far as the computer program is concerned the definitions of the source code is its reality, its laws of nature. And as far as the computer program is concerned I am God. I have ultimate control over every aspect of the source code, over how everything is defined.

Say I create a virtual world and populate it with virtual people. I create the concept of virtual death. To help organise how they interact with each other I might instill a sense of my morality in them. Using advance artificial intelligence I give these virtual people the ability to choose to do things inside my virtual world. But ultimately how that world is defined is decided by the source code I wrote to create the world.

Using your example above, these virtual people decide that speeding their virtual car is wrong (based on a primitive morality they have developed)

They cannot change the source code, the nature of their reality, because they are part of the source code. They cannot change the nature of speed, the nature of a car hitting someone, the nature of their virtual death. They are constrained by my source code, and as such have to make their own laws to manage their society. This is morality, and it is relevant only within the constrains of the virtual world.

I am not constrained by the source code. I wrote the source code. The source code is ultimate what ever I wish it to be. As such the natural laws and constrains of the virtual world, constraints that shape the morality of the virtual people, is ultimately what I want.

I have decided that a virtual metal car will kill a virtual person, and that the virtual person can die in the first place, which is why the virtual people had to make laws against speeding. They had to do this to manage society within the constraints I originally decided.

I decided that a virtual male person and a virtual female person are required to have children. Which is why the virtual people have to make laws around the family.

Take the "sin" of murder. My virtual people die. I decide that when I wrote the source code. I decided what it takes to kill someone in my virtual world. I decided that one of my virtual people will not survive without, say, their heart. Therefore I decided that to kill someone you can damage their heart. I decided that my virtual people will know this fact, and that be able to act on it. Therefore my virtual people have to make laws around these rules that I originally decided, because they cannot change the nature of this rules, the nature of their reality. I decided them, and they exist in my source code, but as far as they are concerned they are fixed.

Now say one of my virtual people decides to kill another one of my virtual people. He has broken a law within the virtual universe, set up to manage how I initially created this universe. Ultimately he has only done what I allowed him to do, within the parameters that I ultimately defined initially with my source code. He has broken a law of the virtual universe, but has he broken one of my laws? He is able to "sin" because I have created the source code that allows him to "sin". So how can I say he has broken my law? I am not constrained by any rules of nature. If did not wish him to sin I would not have created the source code that allows this to happen in the first place. I don't need laws to organise because am not constrained by the virtual reality. In fact I controll it.

The virtual person speaks to me and says

"Oh lord I have sinned. I killed another person. Are you angry at me? Do you forgive me?"

And I say

"How can I be angry with you, you have done what my source code said you would do. I allowed you to kill when I wrote the source code of this virtual world you inhabit that created the ability for you do kill, that defined what death is in the first place. I cannot be angry with you because you are a product of my source code, of my universe. You should not seek forgiveness from me, you should seek it from those other virtual people you have harmed. I do not wish to give you forgiveness nor give you punishment because I made you the way you are."

"Yes you have murdered a virtual person, but I created the source code that allows virtual people to die. You have stabbed him in the heart but I created the source code that says that one needs a heart to live. If I did not want what you did to happen I would not have defined you and your universe in such a way that it can and will happen."

I would say to him "Your people cannot change my source code, so they have created laws to live within it. They will punish you because you have broken those laws. But I do not wish to punish you because ultimately I defined you"

If I were to punish this virtual person for murder what does that say about me? I created the sin of murder when I created the ability of someone to murder within the rules of the universe I created. For me to punish one of my virtual people for acting within the constraints of the virtual world I created would be nonsense.

Equally for me to say to this virtual person "You must seek my forgiveness" would be also nonsense. It is my source code, I decided all the factors of the reality that this virtual person exists in. What would I forgive him for? Being what I decided he would be?
    We are born with sin, there is no doubt about it, we all do it.
    But why are we born with sin? Using the analogy above, we are born with sin because God decided when writting the software code that ultimately defines this existence, what we would be born with sin. So for him then to punish us for this makes little sense, and is certainly not what one would call a fair system. The idea that he would wish us to seek his forgiveness for this makes even less sense.
    The question is are you forgiven for it.
    What would God forgive? His own decision?
    Our original purpose at creation is to be in communion with God and without sin, yet we all blow it. We decide to sin.
    "We" didn't blow anything. I wasn't born 6000 years ago.

Also the idea that our original purpose at creation was to be without sin does not make much sense with the idea that God sees everything including the future. God knew Adam would sin. So why go ahead with creation claiming that our purpose was to be within sin if God knew that pretty quickly we would be very much with in?

Using the computer programmer analogy, it would be like saying that I defined my source code to say that the virtual people would all be black, but when it ran they were all white. That wouldn't happen. The source code cannot change, it is not possible that when it came time to run the program the virtual universe would turn of differently to how it was originally defined by me.

We cannot turn out differently to how God planned us to turn out, because we are constrained by the nature of his created reality, just like the virtual people in my analogy are constrained by the source code I wrote that defines their reality.

To say that we changed from our original God given purpose on our own is ridiculous. We may have free will, but that free will is still contrained by the nature of the universe God created for us.
    You can try and put the blame on God all you want, it is our nature to blame someone else for our wrong doings.
    True, but then God defined our nature. So its his fault :p

But joking aside, it is ultimately it is not about fault of God.

You cannot blame God if you break the laws of our reality because ultimately that doesn't do anything. It ignores the purpose of blame, which is to effect change. We cannot change the laws of our reality, so blaming God is pointless. We create our laws, or morality, and ultimately our sense of blame, to manage the reality we have now and here.

But equally we should not rush to seek forgiveness from a god for how he made us, for how he defined our reality. That is certainly not our fault If god does not like how he made our reality, how he defined our nature, they why did he do it like that in the first place.

I would not blame my source code if the virtual people I created did something I did not like or wish them to do. I would blame myself for writing the source code in the first place.

The virtual person who killed the other virtual person broke the laws of the virtual world, defined by the people of the virtual world. He should be punished within the laws of this world, for that is how the world has decided to manage itself.

But I, as the creator of the source code of this world, don't right to be annoyed at this act, or to blame my program for it. If I did that would be ridiculous. I wrote my program!

He acted in the way I defined he could act. If I don't like the way he acted why did I write the source code that allowed him to act the way he acted. Why did I create the laws of his virtual universe allowing this to happen. Why did I define that his virtual people will die when their heart is damaged, knowing that this virtual person would injure someones heart?

What would I forgive this virtual person for? What would I punish this virtual person for? He does not exist outside of the reality I defined for him.

Forgiveness and punishment from me are meaningless concepts, since the world he inhabits is entirely my creation. Everything he does is based on my design. Even his free will is created by mean and is constrained by my design. He cannot act in a way that I have not already defined that he can act, so how would anything he does make me angry or sad or upset?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

pH wrote:
    Who created Satan?

God, and your point?

God, and your point?

Not wanting to speak for pH, but I would imagine that it is "Then God created sin"

When God created Satan he did so knowing that Satan would create sin. Since God is not constrained by anything He did not have to create Satan. It was therefore a choice to create Satan, and a choice to create sin.

God choose to create sin, and is ultimately responsible for its existence. As he is with everything. Therefore it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to claim that we should seek forgiveness from God for the existence of sin when God choose to create sin in the first place. What is he forgiving us for exactly, his decision?

If I push the first domino and the whole set falls over, do I say it was the fault of the second domino?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Scofflaw
    A billion transcription errors could turn this thread into 'Hamlet'.

It would take a million billion billion billion billion (i.e. 10^^42) transcription errors to just produce the 30 letter soliloquy (from Hamlet) “To be or not to be, that is the question” (26 x 26 x 26……30 times)

A billion transcription errors would ONLY get you “To be or n“ (26 x 26 x 26……7 times)

…….anyway, why would you want to turn this thread into a Shakespearean Tragedy – when the thread is already ‘Comedy Gold’ (with the joke on Evolution)?!!!!:D :)

Scofflaw
    Both you and I are the results of thousands of accidents - unless you regard your genealogy as planned?

Our genealogies may be unplanned but the basic sexual reproduction processes of meiosis and fertilization are observed to be precise ordered phenomena – as one would expect from systems handling enormous quantities of tightly specified critical information at ‘microdot’ levels of resolution.:D

Scofflaw
    you are claiming that the DNA of humans is magically different from other DNA. You have made this claim several different times, expressed a different way each time - so let's be clear - there is no "data compression" in human DNA.

There is ‘information compression’ in all DNA.

Scofflaw
    the maximum complexity possible in the human genome is a function of its size in base pairs and genes

That’s a fallacy equivalent to saying that the maximum complexity of information possible on a DVD is a function of the size of a DVD in GB.

There might be NO information, a load of garbled rubbish or a highly interactive computer game – all with totally different levels of ‘specified complexity’ i.e. information!!!!.

Fallen Seraph
    they (bad mistakes) don't accumulate. So no matter how many billions or trillions occur, it doesn't matter because they don't get passed on. Only the good ones.

…….but I have already explained that we DON’T have a clear mechanism to eliminate errors in biological systems. Granted, the ‘big’ errors would result in the death – but even then, the error might not be eliminated – as it could ‘live on’ in a heterozygous state in the afflicted individual’s siblings.
    In addition, semi-lethal and debilitating errors might ‘live on’ in the afflicted individual itself as well as it’s offspring.

The reason that such a ‘runaway’ situation doesn’t develop currently, is because sophisticated auto-repair mechanisms ELIMINATE mistakes.
    Such systems show overview and foreknowledge of what the ‘correct’ information is – akin to computer auto recovery and rebooting systems – and this strongly indicates the intelligent design of living systems.

Wicknight
    So far you cannot give a theory that attempts to explain how, where, or when during reproduction biblical speciation takes place. So far you cannot give any observed evidence of this every happening.

So you don't have a detailed theory, and you don't have any evidence

The exact mechanisms by which the Big Cat Kind became Lions, Tigers, Panthers, etc. requires further study – but the fact that these cat species are cross fertile indicates that they have speciated from a common ancestor on Noah’s Ark.

Wicknight
    There is a theory of abiogenesis (a few actually), and there is a theory of evolution.

There are plenty of theories – but NO evidence for any of them!!:eek:

Wicknight
    The people researching abiogenesis don't need to create artifical life to formulate and test theories of abiogenesis. You haven't created an artifical God, yet I imagine you would claim to study and theorise about him every day.
    I’ll leave the ‘artificial God’ creation to others – but science CAN evaluate the forensic evidence for the involvement of intelligence in the creation of life – and the evidence is overwhelming for the involvement of massive intelligence in it’s creation!!!

Wicknight
    The club moss can use a bigger chromosome if that is ok with natural selection for the club moss.

Surely God could ALSO use a larger genome carrier for Club Moss, if that was OK with Him!!!!:D

He is probably having endless fun at the ‘lather of sweat’ that the Evolutionists have gotten themselves into on this one – and especially the repeated claim by evolutionists that they are ‘more informationally challenged than a Club Moss’!!!!

Equally, if both Club Moss and Humans developed via ‘copying mistakes’ – then surely the number of ‘mistakes’ required to produce a Human would be in ratio to the vastly greater Complex Specified Information observed in a Human – and therefore their DNA volume would reflect this difference i.e. be vastly greater.

This isn’t observed, and so the conclusion that DNA volume = information is wrong for BOTH the Evolutionary and Creationist Models.

Which part of the statement “DNA volume DOESN’T equal CSI” do you not understand?:confused:

Wicknight
    I'm not an expert on club moss but I would imagine that evolution in club moss is very very slow, as it probably has adapted to its environment quite well and isn't the most dynamic of organisms.

…so why then would a spontaneous system produce such a large genome with such a ‘primitive’ organism???

Wicknight
    What doesn't make sense is the idea that some over all intelligence designed all this at the same time. Therefore all the systems should be equally efficent and quite similar.

The basic carrier system (i.e. DNA) is identical – but the quality and quantity of the information on the DNA is vastly greater in Humans.

Wicknight
    You cannot assume that the greater the number of mutations in a species the more complex, structurely, the species (why would you assume this?) Evolution doesn't work like that. It all depends on what the mutation does. Baterial mutates much faster than a species like humans, yet are far less complex in their structure.

Mutations always cause a decrease in CSI.
    However, Evolution postulates that life develops via mutations – so Evolution therefore postulates that the more complex a creature, the more mutations required to produce it.

I agree that Bacteria mutate furiously – yet they remain ‘simple’ bacteria – more evidence that Evolution or ‘copying errors’ DIDN’T actually turn ‘muck into man’!!!!! :eek:

Wicknight wrote:
    Not wanting to speak for pH, but I would imagine that it is "Then God created sin"

When God created Satan he did so knowing that Satan would create sin. Since God is not constrained by anything He did not have to create Satan. It was therefore a choice to create Satan, and a choice to create sin.

God choose to create sin, and is ultimately responsible for its existence. As he is with everything. Therefore it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to claim that we should seek forgiveness from God for the existence of sin when God choose to create sin in the first place. What is he forgiving us for exactly, his decision?

If I push the first domino and the whole set falls over, do I say it was the fault of the second domino?

But God did not create sin. Sin is rebellion against God. How can God rebel against Himself? He created within us the ability to choose. We have two, choose God and be forgiven of our sin, or not.

God could have created us and programmed us to not sin, but then what kind of love can be offered under such circumstances? Not much. What is so exciting about my marriage is that my wife chooses to love me. Warts and all. She has extyreme patience with me and my selfish ways, yet she continues to love and support me. Without that choice it is empty, there is no love.

Exodus 20:6
    but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Wicknight
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read up on evolution JC, because you still aren't getting it. This is getting so frustrating. You seem to view evolution in the way a child views something like the weather

You forget that, as a former Evolutionist, I have read (and believed at one stage) ALL the books!!!!:D

Originally Posted by J C
    Equally, I’m sure that you don’t particularly care whether it is a 4.5 GB DVD or a 700 MB CD that you use to store a particular presentation

Wicknight
    Are you claiming that your prefect God didn't take particular care when designing life? Are you actually claiming that. Think for a minute, because you know if you do that ridiculous idea is just going to be used against you for the next 400 or so pages.

How does a perfect being not take particular care when doing anything? By definition of being perfect then how can he do a lazy job? His job will be done perfectly, by definition.

God created all life perfectly.

However, the size of the genome doesn’t affect it’s level of perfection – so WHY would God worry about it – just like you can store a perfect presentation on a 4.5 GB DVD or a 700 MB CD without affecting the quality of the presentation.

Once again you are confusing the size of the carrier with the quality of the information!!!

The fact that God chose to place the vast amount of Human genetic information on a genome that is smaller than a Club Moss is actually a demonstration of God’s power in action – and perhaps He was also telling us to be humble before our God!!!!:cool:

Wicknight
    Being a god it would have been just as easy for God to design everything with perfect care as it would have been for him not to. In fact God would have to chosen not to design life with perfect care. The idea that God would just make a mistake is ridiculous, he would have to choose to make a mistake, and I would imagine most of the Christians on this forum, and in the Creationist movement, would completely reject your idea of the lazy, mistaken, God

God certainly wasn’t either lazy or mistaken – He just had His priorities right –
    ……..i.e. producing perfect life forms ………..
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and confusing ‘anti-God’ Evolutionists to the point where they start to ‘think’ like Club Mosses!!!:eek: :D

Wicknight
    You are right. It is the mutation is copying errors.

But I don't know why we are arguing this. Your theory of speciation DOESN'T WORK without mutation, by your own admission (I mean as far as I'm concerned according to biology it doesn't work at all)

I think your exact words were "Creation science has no problems mutation"

You are correct, that I don’t have any problems with the fact that mutations occur – but I do have a BIG logical problem with the claim that they could account for the CSI that we observe in living organisms.

Wicknight
    A blank DVD is VERY DIFFERENT from a piece of paper. A DVD contains a series of either 0 or 1. There is no NULL setting. A "blank" DVD is all 0. THAT IS INFORMATION

Information is always COMPLEX and SPECIFIED – and a series of several billion zeros is neither complex nor specified – and so it ISN’T information.
    A blank DVD and a blank sheet of paper are called blank precisely because they contain NO information.

Look, this has nothing to do with Evolution or Creation – so why are you destroying your credibility arguing that ‘black is white’ when it is obvious to anybody with even a basic command of logic and the English language that a blank DVD and a blank piece of paper contain NO INFORMATION until something is written on either media!!!

Wicknight
    The only difference is how the computer interprets the information. Most computers interpret the information as being a blank DVD. But you could write a computer program to interpret that information as a colour, or a word.

So what word does ‘000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000’ code for????

……..and what would even a simple sentence look like????

Look Wicknight, even a 10 year old can tell you that binary information requires BOTH 1 and 0 – and that is how information is encoded on a DVD – by a complex specified pattern of 1 and 0.

……..and on DNA - by a complex specified pattern of the four base pairs,

Originally Posted by J C
    I’ll go with the theory that it was to confuse Evolutionists to the point where they start thinking like a Club Moss

Wicknight
    Well according to your own religion God doesn't lie. So that would be a bit of a stupid theory.

Who said anything about lying – God has been known to destroy His enemies by creating confusion amongst them!!!

……………and the confusion amongst Evolutionists on this thread about the CSI content of Club Moss is destroying their credibility completely!!!:eek:

Wicknight
    If you take a 800x600 digital photograph of cheque with €100 written on it, and a 800x600 digital photograph of a cheque with nothing written on it, there is the same amount of information in both photographs (800x600x24 bytes)

If you gave me a copy of the imagine with €100 on it I would not need a bigger storage medium (harddrive for example) to store that than the one with nothing written on it.

You are again confusing the size of the carrier / storage medium with the quantity/quality of the information stored.

You are making my point PRECISELY.
    The information on a cheque with €100 written on it is SIGNIFICANTLY greater than the information on a blank cheque – as it authorises a bank teller to issue €100 in cash to you.

Wicknight
    No I don't know (how one scientifically determines the QUALITY of information stored in DNA)

"Trained scientists" my arse

Now, now Wicknight, just because you don’t know everything that Creation Scientists know, doesn’t mean that you should use expletives!!!!

As I have already said, the objective measurement of complexity and specified organisation of genetic information is a very important area in Creation Bioinformatics research - and Creation Scientists are making great progress in understanding pCSI, sCSI and tCSI !!!! :D

jc wrote:
    You forget that, as a former Evolutionist, I have read (and believed at one stage) ALL the books!!!!:D

Oh, stop lying. Noone's read all the books on it. I don't care how many scientific disciplines you claim you be an expert on (something we're still dubious on), this is certainly a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

gosimeon said:
    Well if you read my post you will see I state I feel a lot of GENESIS is metaphorical and uses imagery to contemplate something that the people of the time could not comprehend. Many of the questions you ask are not based on Genesis scripture.

From Edodus on, one can find a link between what is written and the history/archaeology of the time. It is then things start getting serious.
    OK. So the narrative of the 10 plagues on Egypt; the separation of the sea for Israel to pass over, the destruction of the Egyptian army in the sea; manna from heaven; God writing on the two stone tablets; some 2 million Israelites maintained for 40 years in the wilderness; the collapse of the walls of Jerico; Solomon's glorious kingdom; the destruction of 186,000 of the Assyrian army in one night; the jar of oil that kept supplying without fail; Daniel's prophecies of the coming kingdoms of Persia, Greece and Rome; the virgin conception of Christ; His miracles; His death and physical resurrection;
    the descent of the Spirit at Pentecost; all these are historical events?

Why are they any different than the account of the dispersion at Babel? Noah's Flood? The creation of Adam from the soil and Eve from his side? The six-day creation of the heavens and the earth? What is so obviously metaphorical about these that is not so in the former?

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote:
    Oh, stop lying. Noone's read all the books on it. I don't care how many scientific disciplines you claim you be an expert on (something we're still dubious on), this is certainly a lie.

Well certainly the Evolutionits on this thread don't seem to have studied Evolution in any depth - of course if they did do so they would probably cease to be Evolutionists!!!!:D :)

J C wrote:
    Well certainly the Evolutionits on this thread don't seem to have studied Evolution in any depth - of course if they did do so they would probably cease to be Evolutionists!!!!:D :)
    However true that may or may not be, lying isn't impressing anyone, jc.

bluewolf wrote:

I wasn't lying - my statement that "as a former Evolutionist, I have read (and believed at one stage) ALL the books" was a clear 'turn of phrase' indicating that I had studied and read widely on the subject of Evolution including the major books written on the subject. :cool:

Stop obfuscating and nit-picking !!!!:D

bluewolf wrote:

Careful on the accusations there Bluewolf. Play nice.

But God did not create sin. Sin is rebellion against God. How can God rebel against Himself?

That is the whole point. God cannot rebel against Himself, therefore sin cannot be a rebellion against God. Sin is just a product of the universe God choose to create. If God didn't wish for sin to exist it wouldn't exist.
    He created within us the ability to choose.
    He did, but he created sin as one of the options for us to choose. He defined what sin is and what we do to choose it. Within free will we have multiple options, but ALL the options are created by God. None of the options exist externally to how God created the universe.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to say that we should seek forgiveness for choosing an option God put in front of us.
    God could have created us and programmed us to not sin, but then what kind of love can be offered under such circumstances? Not much.
    Says who?

Again you are acting as if God is constrained by the same natural laws as we are, as if God has to exist in the same reality we do and play by the same rules we do. But He doesn't. God defines the rules in the first place.

God could have created reality any way he wanted to. God defined what love is, and how it can be offered. God defined what kind of love can be offered under that circumstance. He decided that, it was his choice. He could have changed it, change the very nature of reality, to anything he wanted.

It is illogical to say that if God did something some way, that choice would some how constrain how he could give love another way, or would constrain how we could appreciate that love. God decides how love can be given, and how we appreciate love, in the first place.

Nothing constrains God, because God decides the constraints in the first place.

Nothing in the universe exists the way it is without God deciding that it exists that way, including love and sin.
    What is so exciting about my marriage is that my wife chooses to love me.
    Your wife is not a god. Neither are you.

You cannot compare God to how you choose and appreciate things, because how you choose and appreciate things depends on the nature of our reality, a nature that is decided by God. To us the nature of our reality is fixed, and we must exit within that reality. But God defined this reality to begin with. God defined the excitement you feel, how it would feel, and why one would feel it. He could have defined it completely differently. God defined how love feels to your wife, what the nature of love is to start with.

All these things are part of our reality. We live by these natural laws because we live in the reality. It is our source code. We can no more change the nature of reality that a computer program can re-write itself. But they were all defined by God initially. God could have defined them completely differently. He could have written the program a completely different way. He defined them the way he did. That was his choice.

JC wrote:
    You forget that, as a former Evolutionist, I have read (and believed at one stage) ALL the books!!!!

Since you clearly don't know what the theory of evolution says, nor how evolution actually works, I find that very hard to believe. I imagine most people here are sick of having to correct your basic errors with regard to what you claim evolution says and what evolution actually says.

I would be surprised if you have read one book about evolution.
    J C wrote:
    The exact mechanisms by which the Big Cat Kind became Lions, Tigers, Panthers, etc. requires further study

JC you can't even give the inexact mechanisms that change Biblical Kinds into the species we have to day. When ever you are asked to explain what is happening you give a non-answer, like the one above, and try and move on, rather quickly.

You clearly don't have any clue how this Biblical specisation is supposed to happen.
    J C wrote:
    There are plenty of theories – but NO evidence for any of them!!:eek:
    There is plenty of theories, and plenty of evidence of how these theories would work. I've already mentioned to you that MIT have created self replicating molecules.

On the other hand, Biblical speciasation has no theories and no evidence. So, there you go.
    J C wrote:
    I’ll leave the ‘artificial God’ creation to others – but science CAN evaluate the forensic evidence for the involvement of intelligence in the creation of life – and the evidence is overwhelming for the involvement of massive intelligence in it’s creation!!!

JC we have already shown that God didn't design life. You can pick any number of pieces of evidence for this, from the large size of club moss DNA compared to human DNA, to the fact that there are 40 independent eye designs that all do pretty much the same thing, that rule out God as being the intelligent designer of life. The evidence for this is overwhelming.
    J C wrote:
    Surely God could ALSO use a larger genome carrier for Club Moss, if that was OK with Him!!!!

But why would it be ok with him? Why would god, on purpose, make something less efficent that it needs to be. That makes no sense. Therefore God was not the designer.
    J C wrote:
    He is probably having endless fun at the ‘lather of sweat’ that the Evolutionists have gotten themselves into on this one

God doesn't lie. He would not mess up the design of life just to laugh at humans. You seem to believe in a pretty petty God JC
    J C wrote:
    Equally, if both Club Moss and Humans developed via ‘copying mistakes’ – then surely the number of ‘mistakes’ required to produce a Human would be in ratio to the vastly greater Complex Specified Information observed in a Human – and therefore their DNA volume would reflect this difference i.e. be vastly greater.

No it wouldn't. You keep saying that but it only shows up again your ignorance of evolution and biology. Club Moss DNA and Human DNA were not competting against each other.
    J C wrote:
    Which part of the statement “DNA volume DOESN’T equal CSI” do you not understand?

What part of "CSI doesn't mean anything" do you not get. You can't even define how "CSI" is supposed to be measured.
    J C wrote:
    …so why then would a spontaneous system produce such a large genome with such a ‘primitive’ organism???

Why wouldn't it? If mutation slowly enlarged the club moss DNA, and that had no adverse effects on the species, then the club moss DNA would enlarge. Evolution does not ask "should I be doing this", the outcome is decided by natural selection.

On the other hand, why would a designer decided to put all the DNA information into a large genome to create an organism that is much less complex than an organism like a human which requires less DNA, less information, to construct? That make no sense. The only conclusion is that there wasn't an intelligent designer.
    J C wrote:
    The basic carrier system (i.e. DNA) is identical – but the quality and quantity of the information on the DNA is vastly greater in Humans.

The DNA information in humans is smaller than the DNA information in club moss. That is a fact.

That makes no sense if one suggests that they both had an intelligent designer that knew what he was doing when he created both species. With an intelligent designer it is unnecessary to have the DNA of club moss larger than the DNA of humans, because the designer can use the knowledge of human DNA on club moss DNA. It is inefficent and wasteful if one who knows how to design humans within a certain amount of DNA to then decide to use more DNA to design club moss. It makes no sense.

Evolution is the only process that makes sense.
    J C wrote:
    CSI doesn't mean anything :rolleyes:

Mutations have been proven to be able to increase the amount of genetic information in an organisms genome.
    J C wrote:
    However, Evolution postulates that life develops via mutations – so Evolution therefore postulates that the more complex a creature, the more mutations required to produce it.

It doesn't postulate that AT ALL. Please please please read up on evolution.

It is not the number of mutations, it is what the mutations do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    Both you and I are the results of thousands of accidents - unless you regard your genealogy as planned?

Our genealogies may be unplanned but the basic sexual reproduction processes of meiosis and fertilization are observed to be precise ordered phenomena – as one would expect from systems handling enormous quantities of tightly specified critical information at ‘microdot’ levels of resolution.:D

You have mistaken my point - all the meetings that had to take place between your ancestors, and the accidents of conception that resulted, are the accidents in question.

Also, of course, Down's Syndrome.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    you are claiming that the DNA of humans is magically different from other DNA. You have made this claim several different times, expressed a different way each time - so let's be clear - there is no "data compression" in human DNA.

There is ‘information compression’ in all DNA.

Reeeeeaaallllly. I see. Would you care to prove that?
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    the maximum complexity possible in the human genome is a function of its size in base pairs and genes

That’s a fallacy equivalent to saying that the maximum complexity of information possible on a DVD is a function of the size of a DVD in GB.

There might be NO information, a load of garbled rubbish or a highly interactive computer game – all with totally different levels of ‘specified complexity’ i.e. information!!!!.

Hmm. Whichever way up I look at that statement, it's still silly. There might be, as you say, "NO information, a load of garbled rubbish or a highly interactive computer game" on any given DVD - but the statement that this is somehow related to the maximum amount of data you can fit on a DVD is ludicrous. None of these need fill the DVD, so the two points are unrelated. Bizarre.

So, to reiterate:

1. a DVD holds 4Gb of data
    2. that data may be random (which the computer interprets as "no data", by the way, assuming no file allocation), or may be a thesis, or a program
    3. leaving aside the random data
    4. the maximum length of the thesis, in words, is related to the format of the file(s)
    5. the maximum "complexity" of the thesis is related to the number of words in it - modified by the "elegance" or "density" of the writing, which itself has a maximum per language
    6. the maximum length of the program code, in instructions, is related to the programming language used
    7. the maximum complexity of the program generated by the code is related to the number of instructions in it - modified by the elegance of the programming

Therefore, the maximum complexity of the information on the DVD is related to the storage capacity of the DVD. To put it very simply - you can't get Quake onto a floppy, although you can get Minesweeper.

By the way, are you saying that specified complexity=information?
    J C wrote:
    Fallen Seraph
    they (bad mistakes) don't accumulate. So no matter how many billions or trillions occur, it doesn't matter because they don't get passed on. Only the good ones.

…….but I have already explained that we DON’T have a clear mechanism to eliminate errors in biological systems. Granted, the ‘big’ errors would result in the death – but even then, the error might not be eliminated – as it could ‘live on’ in a heterozygous state in the afflicted individual’s siblings.

Which is why diseases like haemophilia don't eliminate themselves from the population, because they require both alleles to be the mutated version. Entirely predictable.
    J C wrote:
    In addition, semi-lethal and debilitating errors might ‘live on’ in the afflicted individual itself as well as it’s offspring.

Which is the point you've missed. Statistically, the carriers of non-lethal but debilitating genes are less likely to breed succesfully. Over generations, that weeds out the debilitating mutations - the more debilitating, the more quickly weeded out, because the less likely the carrier is to breed.
    J C wrote:
    The reason that such a ‘runaway’ situation doesn’t develop currently, is because sophisticated auto-repair mechanisms ELIMINATE mistakes.

Do their best to - but not very well. The research being done at the moment on aging and calorie restriction is interesting from this point of view - it has been suggested that calorie restriction switches the organism's repair mechanisms to a greater level of efficiency.
    J C wrote:
    Such systems show overview and foreknowledge of what the ‘correct’ information is – akin to computer auto recovery and rebooting systems – and this strongly indicates the intelligent design of living systems.

Rubbish. If an organism has a debilitating inherited gene, those systems would try and repair it if it suffered "damage" by mutating into a harmless form - so they would be trying to make things worse, not better. The "correct" information the repair mechanisms "know about" is simply the starting genome, whatever that may be, good or bad.
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    So far you cannot give a theory that attempts to explain how, where, or when during reproduction biblical speciation takes place. So far you cannot give any observed evidence of this every happening.

So you don't have a detailed theory, and you don't have any evidence

The exact mechanisms by which the Big Cat Kind became Lions, Tigers, Panthers, etc. requires further study – but the fact that these cat species are cross fertile indicates that they have speciated from a common ancestor on Noah’s Ark.

That they are cross-fertile indicates that they are evolutionarily close. However, some are closer than others (as shown by different rates of inter-breeding success) - which doesn't make any sense if they all split off from a single Big Cat exemplar.
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    The people researching abiogenesis don't need to create artifical life to formulate and test theories of abiogenesis. You haven't created an artifical God, yet I imagine you would claim to study and theorise about him every day.

Who have you overwhelmed with it recently? Also, are we talking about a "massive intelligence" from your point of view or ours?
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    The club moss can use a bigger chromosome if that is ok with natural selection for the club moss.

Surely God could ALSO use a larger genome carrier for Club Moss, if that was OK with Him!!!!:D

He is probably having endless fun at the ‘lather of sweat’ that the Evolutionists have gotten themselves into on this one – and especially the repeated claim by evolutionists that they are ‘more informationally challenged than a Club Moss’!!!!

Er, no, because CSI is what is known as "not real".
    J C wrote:
    This isn’t observed, and so the conclusion that DNA volume = information is wrong for BOTH the Evolutionary and Creationist Models.

Which part of the statement “DNA volume DOESN’T equal CSI” do you not understand?:confused:

I would certainly be forced to agree that nothing appears to equal CSI.
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    I'm not an expert on club moss but I would imagine that evolution in club moss is very very slow, as it probably has adapted to its environment quite well and isn't the most dynamic of organisms.

Accumulation of genetic material through a very long history without much penalty for error.

J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    What doesn't make sense is the idea that some over all intelligence designed all this at the same time. Therefore all the systems should be equally efficent and quite similar.

No, no. We may still be arguing about the "quality", but the "quantity" is beyond doubt - 20,000 genes.
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    You cannot assume that the greater the number of mutations in a species the more complex, structurely, the species (why would you assume this?) Evolution doesn't work like that. It all depends on what the mutation does. Baterial mutates much faster than a species like humans, yet are far less complex in their structure.

Sneaky. Since the assertion that mutations cannot lead to an increase in information has proven false, you now prefer to use the term "CSI", which has no real definition, instead.
    J C wrote:

I agree that Bacteria mutate furiously – yet they remain ‘simple’ bacteria – more evidence that Evolution or ‘copying errors’ DIDN’T actually turn ‘muck into man’!!!!! :eek:

What, did God forget to give them repair mechanisms? And how is it they haven't degenerated into protoplasmic blebs as a result of all that CSI reduction?

You're funny, JC. First you argue one way, then the other, then back again - anything as long as you can claim it supports creationism. It's like being attacked by a mad gnat.

amused,
    as so often,
    Scofflaw

J C wrote:
    I wasn't lying - my statement that "as a former Evolutionist, I have read (and believed at one stage) ALL the books" was a clear 'turn of phrase' indicating that I had studied and read widely on the subject of Evolution including the major books written on the subject. :cool:

....but did you, or did you not, read all the books, JC? If you did not, why did you say you had?

I will leave aside the question of comprehension, since the answer is already available.

questioningly,
    Scofflaw

J C wrote:

Stop obfuscating and nit-picking !!!!:D

Stop squirming and dodging. If you'd even said "I've read all the books" I might be tempted to let it go. But you actually put "ALL" in capitals. That's taking it beyond a "turn of phrase".
    So no, I'm not obfuscating, nitpicking, or doing anything similiar.
    Unless someone had locked themselves into their house with every book on evolution (with new ones being delivered as printed) for many, many years, I'd say exactly the same to them. And anyone else who claims to have read all the books on such a big subject. In any case, he seems to have admitted it wasn't true.

wolfsbane wrote:
    gosimeon said:

OK. So the narrative of the 10 plagues on Egypt; the separation of the sea for Israel to pass over, the destruction of the Egyptian army in the sea; manna from heaven; God writing on the two stone tablets; some 2 million Israelites maintained for 40 years in the wilderness; the collapse of the walls of Jerico; Solomon's glorious kingdom; the destruction of 186,000 of the Assyrian army in one night; the jar of oil that kept supplying without fail; Daniel's prophecies of the coming kingdoms of Persia, Greece and Rome; the virgin conception of Christ; His miracles; His death and physical resurrection;
    the descent of the Spirit at Pentecost; all these are historical events?

Why are they any different than the account of the dispersion at Babel? Noah's Flood? The creation of Adam from the soil and Eve from his side? The six-day creation of the heavens and the earth? What is so obviously metaphorical about these that is not so in the former?

I believe the creation account and Adam and Eve are not to be taken literally.
    The creation account is pretty much identical to to Babylonian theology at the time, as I have realised as I studied Genesis. See here for more information on that topic: http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_crest.htm .

Therefore I see the creation account not as a fact, but rather as an attempt by an uneducated people to contemplate how they came to be.

As for Adam and Eve, it is important to realise that this story has a striking similarity to the Babylonian myth mentioned above. In that myth, the gods create a man and his wife, Lilith. Lilith was thrown out of Gods garden due to wrong-doings.

The apple and snake are also pagan symbols.

Therefore I see the Adam and Eve account as a powerful image of the transgression of mankind and the introduction (by God) of morality into our species, a morality we so quickly chose to ignore when it suited us.

If it were true, we would -as a species - have developed as an inbred mess with a tiny population. Hardly a loving Gods will.

The other events mentioned are most likely not myths as:
    -they were written by a different author to the early accounts.
    -some of them explain how Judaism came to be prominent
    -miracles are always a matter of faith. However I trust the word of the writers of the gospels as the truth.
    -why would the apostles put themselves through so much misery if they did not know Christ had risen. If Christ had not risen, they would have seen him as a liar - not risked their lives to spread his word.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> why would the apostles put themselves through so much misery if they did
    > not know Christ had risen. If Christ had not risen, they would have seen him
    > as a liar - not risked their lives to spread his word.

People put themselves through kinds of misery -- American soldiers go to Iraq, jihadis blow themselves up, missionaries go to deepest Tibet, explorers trek across deserts and icy wastelands, potholers go potholing, and others spend a lifetime on a million other lethal or potentially lethal activities that everybody else thinks is nuts.

All we can say for sure is that we have a story about some guys who believed that they saw something strange. We don't know the people who wrote the story, or when they wrote it, or where when they wrote it, or what edits have been made since it was first written, or whether it accurately reflects what is said to have happened, or even if the events in it happened at all. The only common thing is that people sincerely *believe* that the bible account of Jesus coming back to life is absolutely true in every respect. And that's an amazingly defiant assumption to make given the standards of biography of the time, in which it was standard practice simply to invent speeches, episodes, characters and so on.

Jesus, of course, wasn't the only person to come back to life and go up to heaven -- plenty of others did it before him, and quite a few after him. It's a common theme in religious stories of the Middle East and other regions.

Oscar Wilde had it right when he said "Just because somebody is prepared to die for an idea doesn't make it true".

robindch wrote:
    > why would the apostles put themselves through so much misery if they did
    > not know Christ had risen. If Christ had not risen, they would have seen him
    > as a liar - not risked their lives to spread his word.

People put themselves through kinds of misery -- American soldiers go to Iraq, jihadis blow themselves up, missionaries go to deepest Tibet, explorers trek across deserts and icy wastelands, potholers go potholing, and others spend a lifetime on a million other lethal or potentially lethal activities that everybody else thinks is nuts.

All we can say for sure is that we have a story about some guys who believed that they saw something strange. We don't know the people who wrote the story, or when they wrote it, or where when they wrote it, or what edits have been made since it was first written, or whether it accurately reflects what is said to have happened, or even if the events in it happened at all. The only common thing is that people sincerely *believe* that the bible account of Jesus coming back to life is absolutely true in every respect. And that's an amazingly defiant assumption to make given the standards of biography of the time, in which it was standard practice simply to invent speeches, episodes, characters and so on.

Jesus, of course, wasn't the only person to come back to life and go up to heaven -- plenty of others did it before him, and quite a few after him. It's a common theme in religious stories of the Middle East and other regions.

Oscar Wilde had it right when he said "Just because somebody is prepared to die for an idea doesn't make it true".

If the NT was made up, why would the authors write things that illustrate the weakness of followers of Christ as well as the strengths?

I gotta go. But to quote this website - http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/authenticity.html - which should dispel most of your arguments if you pay it a visit:

Now really - would the disciples write about all their shortcomings, make the Christian church into a female, design heaven with no sex in it, and say that they were going to be married to Jesus in heaven? I don't know about you guys, but this is not what I would have written if I had made up the Bible!
    EDIT:

Take note of the following table:
    Manuscript Evidence for Ancient Writings
    Author Written Earliest Copy Time Span # Mss.
    Caesar 100-44 B.C. 900 A.D. 1,000 yrs 10
    Plato 427-347 B.C. 900 A.D. 1,200 yrs 7
    Thucydides 460-400 B.C. 900 A.D. 1,300 yrs 8
    Tacitus 100 A.D. 1100 A.D. 1,000 yrs 20
    Suetonius 75-160 A.D. 950 A.D. 800 yrs 8
    Homer (Iliad) 900 B.C. 400 B.C. 500 yrs 643
    New Testament 40-100 A.D. 125 A.D. 25-50 yrs 24,000

Homer (Iliad) is taken to be an authentic writing, yet its earliest copy is dated 500 years after it was written. The above chart illustrates how the NT sources are more reliable than many texts considered reliable if you are going to use the old "they could have been edited / we don't know when they were written" argument.

"Thousands of early Christian writings and lexionaries (first and second century) cite verses from the New Testament. In fact, it is nearly possible to put together the entire New Testament just from early Christian writings. For example, the Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians (dated 95 A.D.) cites verses from the Gospels, Acts, Romans, 1 Corinthians, Ephesians, Titus, Hebrews, and 1 Peter. The letters of Ignatius (dated 115 A.D.) were written to several churches in Asia Minor and cites verses from Matthew, John, Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus. These letters indicate that the entire New Testament was written in the first century A.D."

The dead sea scrolls also back up many bible verses as authentic.

bluewolf wrote:
    JC wrote:
    I wasn't lying - my statement that "as a former Evolutionist, I have read (and believed at one stage) ALL the books" was a clear 'turn of phrase' indicating that I had studied and read widely on the subject of Evolution including the major books written on the subject.
    Stop obfuscating and nit-picking !!!!
    Stop squirming and dodging. If you'd even said "I've read all the books" I might be tempted to let it go. But you actually put "ALL" in capitals. That's taking it beyond a "turn of phrase".
    So no, I'm not obfuscating, nitpicking, or doing anything similiar.
    Unless someone had locked themselves into their house with every book on evolution (with new ones being delivered as printed) for many, many years, I'd say exactly the same to them. And anyone else who claims to have read all the books on such a big subject. In any case, he seems to have admitted it wasn't true.

When someone makes a claim in the course of an argument, and that claim lends their case authority, and that claim is not true - how is that not a lie?

JC has a history of making claims which are provably false. If they are not challenged, he continues to use them to lend authority to his case. If they are challenged, he obfuscates, or claims his definitions are different.

If bluewolf had not challenged JC on this absurd claim, a naive reader might have accepted it at face value. If bluewolf had challenged it by saying that none of us have read all the books on evolution, JC would have turned that into an "admission" that we knew less about evolution than him. Bluewolf did the right thing by simply calling the lie.

You cannot serve the truth by serving the lie. Bluewolf is entirely correct.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

gosimeon wrote:
    If the NT was made up, why would the authors write things that illustrate the weakness of followers of Christ as well as the strengths?

Now really - would the disciples write about all their shortcomings, make the Christian church into a female, design heaven with no sex in it, and say that they were going to be married to Jesus in heaven? I don't know about you guys, but this is not what I would have written if I had made up the Bible!

An argument that appears to hold water until you consider that probably none of us would have made up the stories of Odin, or Zeus, or made up the Greek Hades. We are not first-century Middle-Eastern Jews. We don't have a pre-scientific mindset (with a couple of exceptions). We don't live in the Roman Empire. And so on and so forth.

In essence, this is simply an argument from personal incredulity, and holds no weight.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

gosimeon wrote:
    Homer (Iliad) is taken to be an authentic writing, yet its earliest copy is dated 500 years after it was written.

That keeps getting mentioned, but it isn't actually true.

Firstly no historian thinks that the Iliad actually happened.

It is a story, not a history book. The issue of the details in the Iliad being changed over the years is not as important as a historical book such as the Bible being changed. We know that the story of the Iliad was originally an oral story before the 8th century BCE, the earliest date given that it might have been written. The story undoubtedly changed during its oral lifetime, and probably changed afterwards too.

One historical theory is that under the rule of Hipparchus the Epic Cycle (the collection of poems about the Trojan War, including the Iliad) canon was standardised for general consumption.

Secondly there is a lot of historical debate over when the Iliad was written, who Homer actually was, and even whether he actually existed as one person.

One theory is that "Homer" (which means "hostage" in Greek) was actually a group of poets that were descendants of prisoners of war who were not trusted to fight in battle and were instead given the task of recording military events in the form of historic poems. A large number of other theories about the Iliad and the other Epic Cycle stories are around today in historical circles. Few historians think "Homer" was one person.

It is simply not true that historians view what we know today about the Iliad, or Homer himself, with any great historical accuracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliad
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Cycle
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_War

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> If the NT was made up, why would the authors write things that illustrate the
    > weakness of followers of Christ as well as the strengths?

For the same reason that Uri Geller does the same thing -- it lends credibility to the story. Not, I hasten to add, that I can think of many instances where the "weakness" of Jesus is given much airtime :)

> Homer (Iliad) is taken to be an authentic writing, yet its earliest copy is dated
    > 500 years after it was written.

The writings of Homer have not produced a world-wide multi-billion dollar religious industry, employing millions of people, all of which is based upon the believe that everything that Homer says is inerrantly true. Neither do the writings of Homer encourage people to object to anti-discrimination legislation -- to take just one example from just one day in just one country -- because of something he may or may not have written.

And regardless of whether or not the manuscript has remained unchanged from the date it was written, or whether it was written by somebody we trust, or accurately describes what they saw, you still haven't addressed the far more important and far more basic question of whether what it says is actually true.

Isn't that the whole point?

robindch wrote:

> Homer (Iliad) is taken to be an authentic writing, yet its earliest copy is dated
    > 500 years after it was written.

The writings of Homer have not produced a world-wide multi-billion dollar religious industry, employing millions of people, all of which is based upon the believe that everything that Homer says is inerrantly true. Neither do the writings of Homer encourage people to object to anti-discrimination legislation -- to take just one example from just one day in just one country -- because of something he may or may not have written.

And regardless of whether or not the manuscript has remained unchanged from the date it was written, or whether it was written by somebody we trust, or accurately describes what they saw, you still haven't addressed the far more important and far more basic question of whether what it says is actually true.

Isn't that the whole point?

The point is that the Bible knockers continue to make claims that it has changed throughgout the years. the manuscript evidence clearly shows such a statement to be erroneous. The comparison to the Iliad is for the purpose of comparing ancient manuscripts, it has nothing to do with fiction vs non-fiction.

This is the point on the discussion: historians will tell you that the book that Homer originally penned is what we have today, based on the manuscript evidence.
    They will also tell you that the Bible we currently read is as the origianl authors penned, based on the manuscript evidence.

The idea that the Bible has undergone all of these changes throughout the millenia is simply not true as evidenced by the manuscripts.

The next question then is: does the Bible contain fact or fiction?

The answer is yes, archaeological evidence for the events recounted in the Bible conyinually show to be true. External evidence continues to support the histories and events recorded in its pages.

To Scofflaw and Bluewolf:

Charter rule 7 states: "Do not post anything intended to inflame or insult. This is meant to be a place of debate where you can challenge ideas all you like but don't go outside boundaries of taste or decency and don't get personal.":

Calling someone a liar, is getting personal and inflames and insults.

Question someones facts, ask for clarification on their statements but DO NOT call someone a liar.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

To Scofflaw and Bluewolf:

Charter rule 7 states: "Do not post anything intended to inflame or insult. This is meant to be a place of debate where you can challenge ideas all you like but don't go outside boundaries of taste or decency and don't get personal.":

Calling someone a liar, is getting personal and inflames and insults.

Question someones facts, ask for clarification on their statements but DO NOT call someone a liar.
    JC says things that can be shown to be self-contradictory. He specifically twists words and never gives clear answers. Personally, any of my posts where I specifically ask him a question result in him dodging or giving an answer that is totally stupid and nonsensical. He never gives a clarification of his ideas.
    As for the lying, for example I know QFT, his claims to also know it couldn't possibly be true due to the level of error and pure randomness/weirdness in his statements. I have attempted to discuss it with him, given his objections to QFT, the responses show he has no idea what he is talking about and is lying when he pretends to have that knowledge.
    Half the time, I'd say most of us don't even know what he is saying.
    Should there not be some moderator action on the fact that he never answers a direct question directly and spouts total nonsense?

• Advertisement

The point is that the Bible knockers continue to make claims that it has changed throughgout the years. the manuscript evidence clearly shows such a statement to be erroneous.
    Yes but the point is the earliest manuscripts we have were written a thousand years after the events they describe.

While these documents might not have changed much since, it is rather ridiculous to claim that these stories did not change in the thousand years before the copies we have were written down.
    The comparison to the Iliad is for the purpose of comparing ancient manuscripts, it has nothing to do with fiction vs non-fiction.
    The same applies to the Iliad. In fact we know that there were various different versions of the Epic Cycle stories, and that there were various efforts to standardise the canon.
    This is the point on the discussion: historians will tell you that the book that Homer originally penned is what we have today, based on the manuscript evidence.

No, they won't.
    They will also tell you that the Bible we currently read is as the origianl authors penned, based on the manuscript evidence.

No, they won't, either.

In fact it is clear for analysis of the in writing that the books of the Old Testament had bits added, and edited over the years. A lot of editing of books such as Joshua, Judges and Samuel took place around 600 BCE. A lot of these books had multiple authors, often writting hundreds of years apart, and these different pieces were edited together at a later date.

It is inconcieveable that this editing would not have altered pieces of the text to make the joining of different descriptions and styles more transparent.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mbible1.html
    http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mbible2.html
    http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mbible3.html
    http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mbible4.html
    The answer is yes, archaeological evidence for the events recounted in the Bible conyinually show to be true. External evidence continues to support the histories and events recorded in its pages.

Depends on what you mean by "true".

Take for example the Egyptian plague of the river of blood, and the death of children and cattle.

These Biblical stories might be attempting to describe actual events. Volcanic activity can cause water to turn thick and red due to increase in iron released. Interestingly enough this can also cause release of deadly but silent CO2, as seen in African 10 years ago. A lake turned red for weeks, and then one night a fog of CO2 blew over a village near the lack killing live stock, children and the elderly, and even some healthy adults while they slept.

So it is not at all inconcievable that the Bible stories would be based on real events. But that is not to say that the events actually happened as described in the Bible. One cannot make that leap with any historical authority.

If in a thousand years a future archeologist comes across a fictional book about Dublin in 2006, such as the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books (in case you don't know they are a diary style entries, first published in the Sunday Tribune and every year compiled into book form, about a fictional South Dublin young adult), they will certain get a good and accurate description of people, places and events in Dublin in 2006. But the story itself is entirely fictional. Ross O'Carrol Kelly doesn't exist. None of his friends exist. What they do didn't happen. The fact that the book describes the errection of the O'Connel St Spire, or the last rugby world cup, doesn't change that fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement