Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

wolfsbane wrote:
    Because God has revealed to me the truth: He is the one true God; He created the universe just as He said He did.

What does that even mean? He spoke to you? He appeared before you? He gave you a funny feeling?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    He inspired His apostles to record all that He wanted us to know.
    According to who? The apostles themselves?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Both the Old testament and New Testament prophets and apostles were not speaking of their own accord, but writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. This is the Scripture that cannot be broken.

Again that is only what they claim. They would hardly claim otherwise would they :rolleyes:
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I fully agree. But starting with perfect genes gave a long period free from serious defect.
    And Noah?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    God says it did. As I said before, I think I'll take His word on it rather than yours. :D

God didn't say it did. People who claim to speak for God said it did. But then every religion is full of people who claim to speak for their gods. Some of them must be wrong.

J C wrote:
    Which part of “there is no scientific evidence that Evolution occurred” do you not understand?

What part of "That isn't true, you are just making that up, evolution is actually an observable phenomenia" do you not get :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    God didn’t need to deceive Evolutionists – because they are eminently capable of doing this themselves!!!

Then why did you claim He was?
    J C wrote:
    Once again, where is the evidence for ‘big picture’ Evolution????

Reproduction errors cause mutation. This has been observed.

Mutation can increase, decrease, or rearrange genetic information. That has been observed.

Mutation can bestown benefit on an organism. This has been observed.

Natural selection selects these beneficial mutations based on the environment. That has been observed.

Evolution happens. Creationists claim it didn't happen in the past, or if it did it magically stopped at some point. You don't have ANY EVIDENCE for this assertion that evolution didn't work in the past like it works now, nor do you have ANY LOGIC to suggest it didn't work in the past like it works now

Game over. You lose.
    J C wrote:
    The ‘first moments of the universe’ would be PRECISELY WHEN energy, time and matter would have originated

For the universe to exist matter and time must already exist. Some form of matter and some form of time must exist at point 0 on the time line of the Big Bang. You cannot model the first moment of the universe if what the universe is made of doesn't yet exist.

Please don't be dumb on purpose JC
    J C wrote:
    Fair enough – so there goes the Big Bang ‘up in smoke’!!!!!

There goes your highly inaccurate and missinformed idea of what the Big Bang theory is 'up in smoke' ... but that can only be a good thing
    J C wrote:
    Whatever I am

What ever you are, you are not a scientist
    J C wrote:
    I have read books on Evolution by BOTH Evolutionists and Creationists – it seems that ALL of the books that you read on Evolution were by Evolutionists (singing their clap-happy Evolutionist tunes)!!!!!

What books...?
    J C wrote:
    So, are you saying that Humans evolved from Pond Slime via just 10 mega-mutations???!!

No, I'm not. As I said, please don't be dump on purpose
    J C wrote:
    on average the creature with the most complexity should be the one with the largest genome

Why? Since that isn't true I seriously doubt you can explain why you think that should be the case. So I also seriously doubt you will attempt too and instead chose to just move on to some other silly theory of yours.
    J C wrote:
    Who or what is directing it then???
    The environment. This has been stated a few times already. Please keep up.

My friend and I are stick in northern Russia. We want to go look for food. If I put on a woolly coat and go out into a snow storm with a friend who is wearing just a t-shirt the environment will kill my friend. That is blind directing that wearing a t-shirt in the snow is a not good, where as having a coat is beneficial. Natural selection has selected me over my friend, despite the fact that it is not an intelligent process. No intelligent chose me over my friend, the environment did based on our fitness.

The classic example of blind direction, that even you might understand, is that of a river path. This is completely decided by the environment the river finds itself in. A no point does an intelligence look out over the land and go "This is the best way to go"
    J C wrote:
    If it WAS a directed process it would be called Divine Intervention!!!!!:eek:

Please read up on the difference between intelligent direction and blind (non-intelligent) direction. Maybe you can consult on of the many books on evolution you have :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight, I don’t know how to break the news to you, - but there is NO scientifically valid Neo Darwininan Theory, that accounts for the presence of Man on Earth, full stop!!!!:eek:

Nice non-answer JC :rolleyes:

So is that you quietly admitting you were in fact misrepresenting the nature of what Neo-Darwinian theory says? Or are you just totally ignorant of it?
    J C wrote:
    So what happens when mutations produce nothing but ‘rubbish’ – how does NS select THAT???!!!

Please don't be dumb on purpose. This has been explained to your before.

Natural selection doesn't select that. That is the point.
    J C wrote:
    I am currently reading the Bible, for the love of God – and it says that God CREATED all life!!!!

Well then stop attempting to debate a subject (ie evolution) that you clearly know absolutely nothing about.
    J C wrote:
    …………..so it is totally incapable of producing a Human Being then!!!!

Except that it did produce a human being ... so there you go
    J C wrote:
    But when the useless or damaging mutations far outweighing the beneficial ones, there wouldn’t be a single organism that wouldn’t be suffering from something awful somewhere along it’s 3 billion base pair (or whatever) genome.

Please don't be dumb on purpose. This has been explained to you before.

Every species has trillions of individual organisms that suffer something "awful" because of a damaging mutation. But because they suffer awfully this lowers their fitness and this mutation is therefore not selected by natural selection. Therefore these "awful" mutations don't survive in the generation cycle very long and don't spread very far.

Why after 220+ pages is it still necessary to explain the very fundamental aspects of evolutionary theory to you JC?
    J C wrote:
    ………..so NS would be faced with selecting amongst creatures with one thing worse that the other wrong with them ALL. :eek:

That sentence makes no sense. Please re-write it and I will attempt to answer.
    J C wrote:
    From what I recall, pH’s algorithms illustrated Intelligent Design in action
    There was no intelligence in pH algorithm at all. It chose purely on fitness, as natural selection does.
    J C wrote:
    It would get bogged down with the first ‘self replicating molecule’ as its ‘descendants’ picked up an ever-increasing load of 'useless' or 'bad' traits

Please don't be dumb on purpose. This has been explained to you before.

The "useless" or "bad" traits don't increase in the species because the descendants who contain these mutations quickly die off based on a lack of fitness to the environment. That is the "selection" in natural selection.
    J C wrote:
    The only way that a paper clip factory can be converted to produce F-15 Jets is by the appliance of significant levels of Intelligent Design and large amounts of organised and intelligently directed physical and mental effort!!!!

So we agree that a paper clip factor is nothing like life. Ok then, so why did you use it as an analogy. Pretty silly, no?
    J C wrote:
    What I actually said was that because God is a God of abundance – He doesn’t mind a lot of ‘waste’

He doesn't "mind"?? ... JC you claim he designed it all. He didn't just allow it to happen, he choose the way it did happened. You claim he did this in a moment of magic, not using a natural process. If he chose a wasteful way of doing it with magic, over a less wasteful but just as easy (it is magic after all) alternative then that would make him pretty stupid now wouldn't it.
    J C wrote:
    Could I suggest that something that fails to plan, plans to fail
    You could if you are an idiot. Are you an idiot?
    J C wrote:
    On that basis, all of the Evolutionists on this thread are ALSO lying

I am aware of no evolutionist here who has ever misrepresented or lied about the Creationists argument or theories that continued to do so after being corrected.

You on the other hand continue to misrepresent what evolutionary theory does and does not say. It is hard to tell if this is out of completely mind boggling ignorance, or because you are trolling for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Son Goku wrote:
    I don't even understand why you would make this up? The Big Bang already says it isn't an attempt to explain the origins of the universe and can't explain where it comes from. Why would you make up that it attempts to do something it doesn't and then try to disprove this false characterization when the original theory already says it can't do it?

Well, he does the same for the theory of evolution, so it's hardly a surprise - JC's position relies on the misrepresentation of science. Fortunately, I think it comes naturally.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Ah wicknight, scofflaw, you guys have me laughing aloud here. Brilliant stuff :D
    "You could if you are an idiot. Are you an idiot?"
    lol.

It might be time to ignore the trolling though...
    Either that or let's come up with our own blatantly incorrect ideas of what creationism are and use those...
    although it has so many odd things about it already that I wouldn't know what to introduce...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

J C wrote:
    God, in His sovereign power, can obviously grant prayers for health and happiness without interfering with other people’s free will.
    However, He will not grant coercive prayer requests that interferes with other peoples free will – like forcing somebody else to love you, for example.
    I was thinking some more on this, and apologies if this line has already been explored. Each one of us is meant to be individually created by God. But we’re a product of a process that he does not control – i.e. he can’t tell our parents ‘Get it on, I’ve a new soul burning a hole in my pocket’. He has to wait until our parents, of their own free will, get it together and then create and pop a soul in at the right moment.

This suggests that all theists who believe that we have free will already accept that God may make use of a process directed by something or someone other than him when creating life. So what’s the problem in principle with accepting evolution as the process through which humans were created? If anything, if causes less of a problem because presumably God can put ingredients into the cosmic cooking pot in such a way as to make the appearance of human life inevitable without any impact on free will whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Schuhart wrote:
    I was thinking some more on this, and apologies if this line has already been explored. Each one of us is meant to be individually created by God. But we’re a product of a process that he does not control – i.e. he can’t tell our parents ‘Get it on, I’ve a new soul burning a hole in my pocket’. He has to wait until our parents, of their own free will, get it together and then create and pop a soul in at the right moment.

This suggests that all theists who believe that we have free will already accept that God may make use of a process directed by something or someone other than him when creating life. So what’s the problem in principle with accepting evolution as the process through which humans were created? If anything, if causes less of a problem because presumably God can put ingredients into the cosmic cooking pot in such a way as to make the appearance of human life inevitable without any impact on free will whatsoever.

Actually schuhart I have to come to the conclusion that this is a possibility. For theological reasons I am sticking with the 6 days.

I have also concluded that this is not the hill to die on and that you don't need to be a 6 dayer for salvation.

I still have huge problems with the whole attitude of some evolutionists (none here) toward God and Christianity as a whole. I also have a huge problem with the attitude of some creationists toward science, one of which could have been me, I don't think I ever got that far, and come to learn some compassion through this thread.

Thanks to all.

Schuhart wrote:

I've met Christians (obviously not Creationist/Biblical literalists) who believe this (in American ironically, since it is the home of modern Creationism/Biblical Literialism)

The idea is that "free will" does not just apply to humanity, it has to apply to all nature as well. Everything, every natural system, is free to happen as it happens based on the initial physical laws set by God, independent of God's direct control, otherwise this control over nature would ultimately restrict our free will.

Therefore God only had direct influence at the very start, and as such if he wished for something to happen then it must have happened through natural processes (ie evolution), since God directly influencing things after the Big Bang would be contrary to his promise that we have complete free will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Wicknight said:
    Therefore God only had direct influence at the very start, and as such if he wished for something to happen then it must have happened through natural processes (ie evolution), since God directly influencing things after the Big Bang would be contrary to his promise that we have complete free will.
    Apologies for jumping straight to this. Things are still very busy for me but I hope to get back to the other posts soon.

Yes, there are people calling themselves Christian who hold to Open Theism, a main point of which is a denial of the omniscience of God. That and the other aspects of complete free will, are totally absent from the Bible, so it cannot legitimately be called Christian.

BTW, maybe you can point me to where you found this promise of complete free will in the Bible?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

wolfsbane wrote:
    BTW, maybe you can point me to where you found this promise of complete free will in the Bible?
    I wsn't aware that any references to free will in the bible had some sort of "except where you don't have it" rider at all.

jc

Wicknight said:
    Are you actually stating that rape or death is a good choice??? Are you serious?
    I'm saying that marriage or death is a good choice for those deserving death.
    I am working from the position that they could not all be guilty of crimes justifying rape or death as punishment.
    They were all guilty in God's sight and so marriage or death was justified.
    This is actually supported by the Bible. The selection of who will live and who will die is based on the virginity of the women. The women who are sentenced to death are not sentenced to death because they are guilty of a crime, they are sentenced to death because they are not virgins and as such are not useful to the soldiers as future wives. The virgins on the other hand are and instead of being executed are given as sex slaves to the soldiers.
    You miss the reason for the war in the first place. It was the people's guilt. So the position is not one of being sentenced to death because one had sexual experience, but one was spared a deserved death because one hadn't sexual experience.
    God has no right to order suffering for his own amusement, or to rectify his own mistakes.
    He only punishes the guilty. You have a problem accepting their guilt. But that's because you are a guilty sinner too.
    Not it doesn't. Read it again in the context of the other rules about marriage.
    I have, and even logic denies your position.
    The first Christians did not believe that every child is born in a state of wickedness.

Like the Eastern Orthodox Church still believe, they believed that what was pass on was death and disease. To quote the below article -

"It is not guilt that is passed on, for the Orthodox fathers; it is a condition, a disease."

We are not born in a state of wickedness, we don't inherit our wickedness from Adam. It is our physical biological state the we inherit, that our bodies will grown and die, that is passed on from generation to generation.

This is what the original Christians believed, and this is what the Orthodox Church, would consider themselves the original church, still believe to this day.
    You completely misunderstand what the Orthodox are saying. The death, disease which we inherit is spiritual not our physical biological state. They are saying man sins because he is a sinner by nature - something Protestantism agrees with. They are only denying that man is also guilty of Adam's actual sin.
    Then why did he choose the option he did if it displeases him so when he could have chosen from any and all options? That makes very little sense.
    He doesn't explain. He expects us to trust His judgement.
    It assumes he has to "work" something. Working something means manipulating it within some kind of constraints, to get the best out come. That something humans have to do everyday, but you forget that God is supposed to have completely control over everything, and as such would not have "work" anything to any particular constrain.
    I agree, He didn't have to do anything. But He chose to do so. And He chose to do so by the means described. He manipulates all things to accomplish His chosen end, no matter who has planned it any different.
    You statement assumes that the benefit cannot come without the suffering. Again, that might hold for humans, often we need to endure suffering for ultimate benefit. But again we do that because we are slaves to the nature world around us. God is not. There are no constraints on him. The benefit could come without the suffering, and vice versa.
    Only the constraints of His nature. And He chose to do it this way. Being infinitely wise, it must be the best way.
    The Hindus might object to that statement
    I expect so - but they would be wrong.
    Are you failing to see the paradox in that statement, or are you choosing to ignore it?

If God is constrained by His nature, then what defined his nature. What ever that "what" is is more powerful that God, since it ultimately defined what God is. But based on Judeo/Christian teaching there is nothing above God. One must conclude that God then constrained his own nature, which is ridiculous.

The classic paradox that deals with this is the question

Can God produce an object that He cannot himself move
    It is not like that classic paradox at all. God's nature is who God is. It is not something external to Him.
    No it wasn't, because the people executed were not guilty of any crime worth of execution.
    God says different.
    As I've already said it is immoral for God to order the execution, or rape, of people just because he wants to.
    As I've already said, He doesn't.
    They weren't "evil men" Wolfsbane. Read your Bible. They were God's chosen people, working under his orders, even when they objected themselves at the morality of what they were being asked to do. Do you think Moses was an evil man?
    No, I was referring to rapes and murders: the actions of Moses and the Israelites were not that. The actions of the Babylonians, for example, were.
    Your excuses justify these acts are getting weaker and weaker. These were God's chosen people, ordered to do something by God's messanger Moses, that even they had moral questions about.
    You have no proof that they had such moral qualms, but if they had they would have been guilty of justifying sinners. Sinners sometimes have foolish empathy with sinners rather than love to God.
    No actually it shows they had "issues" with the idea of murdering innocent women and children because God was in a bad mood.
    Not according to God.
    Why?

What if He is lying to you?
    Then it won't matter anyway. We are then all just slime on an obscure planet somewhere in the vastness of the universe. But God's Spirit convinces me otherwise and I have experienced His reality and intervention many times.
    You have never explained why you believe that. Is it because you want to believe it, because you want all the things promised to you if you do believe this?

Also has it occurred to you that the Bible might simply not be the word of God, and as such cannot be relied upon as the truth?
    As I said before, His Spirit gives me assurance of His reality.
    God could be lying to us all, or the Bible which is supposed to be his message, could be wrong.

If something described in the Bible makes no sense we have 2 options.

One, the Bible is the word of God but God is deceiving us in what is written.

Two, the Bible is not the infallible word of God.

Of course you appear to take the third option, the "head in the sand, I don't want to think about it" option. Which, ultimately is just a cop-out, the reason why Dawkins describes religion as "the God delusion"
    No, I thought about it a lot. I still think about it, remembering my foolishness and ignorance when I was without God. When the Bible makes no sense - rather when I cannot understand what it means - I wait for God to reveal it. I don't need to know it all at once. He knows best what I can handle.

When science describes something that makes no sense, do you:
    One, think the scientist/s are lying?
    Two, think that they are mistaken?
    Three, refuse to think about it?

Or do you think, Further investigation will cause it to make sense?

If you cannot understand this earthly illustration, how will you understand my heavenly one? ;)

• Advertisement

@wolfsbane

By the way, I don't know if you say the thread called "Christianity incompatible with evolution theory?".

The OP is looking for a discussion on YEC/OEC in purely scriptural terms.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    Yes, there are people calling themselves Christian who hold to Open Theism, a main point of which is a denial of the omniscience of God.

Are you responding to the correct post? I do have a post going on in another thread that is dealing with free will and whether God can have absolute knowledge of the future, but this isn't it. Here I'm assuming that we can have free will and God has chosen that we have free will. If God chooses to give us free will, to do that he chooses to step back and allow nature to run its course, to allow natural systems to develop, as evolution.

I would point out that this isn't my idea (I don't think the idea of God and free will are actually compatible without a paradox, as I state in the other thread). This is an extention of Schuhart point that since God doesn't decide when or if we reproduce he ultimately has little control over who does or does not exist. This highlights the fact that it is not just in the area of biology that God must step back to allow us free will, but in all areas God must step back, because any direct magical intervention in the laws of nature will ultimately effect someones free will somewhere.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    That and the other aspects of complete free will, are totally absent from the Bible, so it cannot legitimately be called Christian.

I was not aware that there was a "non-complete" free will. Surely either someone has free will or they don't.
    wolfsbane wrote:

As bonkey points out the Bible is full from beginning to end with references to the free will of man to make his own decision. If humans do not have free will then why are we rewarded or punished for our actions by God.

Scofflaw said:
    @wolfsbane

By the way, I don't know if you say the thread called "Christianity incompatible with evolution theory?".

The OP is looking for a discussion on YEC/OEC in purely scriptural terms.
    No, I haven't seen it yet. But I hope to have more time by the weekend. Thanks for the heads-up.

WAre you responding to the correct post? I do have a post going on in another thread that is dealing with free will and whether God can have absolute knowledge of the future, but this isn't it. Here I'm assuming that we can have free will and God has chosen that we have free will. If God chooses to give us free will, to do that he chooses to step back and allow nature to run its course, to allow natural systems to develop, as evolution.
    Yes, I'm responding to your post 4568, which deals with free will.
    I would point out that this isn't my idea (I don't think the idea of God and free will are actually compatible without a paradox, as I state in the other thread).
    Yes, I appreciate that.
    This is an extention of Schuhart point that since God doesn't decide when or if we reproduce he ultimately has little control over who does or does not exist.
    Indeed, but Schuhart is mistaken if he thinks the Bible teaches that. It repeatedly tells us of instances where God decides who is born and when. He also decides when each of us dies.
    This highlights the fact that it is not just in the area of biology that God must step back to allow us free will, but in all areas God must step back, because any direct magical intervention in the laws of nature will ultimately effect someones free will somewhere.
    It certainly does. I'm sure Herod did not consent to his own death:
    Acts 12:20 Now Herod had been very angry with the people of Tyre and Sidon; but they came to him with one accord, and having made Blastus the king’s personal aide their friend, they asked for peace, because their country was supplied with food by the king’s country.
    21 So on a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat on his throne and gave an oration to them. 22 And the people kept shouting, “The voice of a god and not of a man!” 23 Then immediately an angel of the Lord struck him, because he did not give glory to God. And he was eaten by worms and died.

I was not aware that there was a "non-complete" free will. Surely either someone has free will or they don't.
    For our purposes here I mean by complete the ability to choose to follow God or to reject Him. Fallen man does not have that ability. His will always chooses according to his nature, and as that nature is evil man will always freely choose to reject God. So his will is free only so far as his sinful nature allows. That is adequate in my view to qualify it as free will, but not in the sense some use here.
    As bonkey points out the Bible is full from beginning to end with references to the free will of man to make his own decision.
    Yes, in the sense I have outlined.
    If humans do not have free will then why are we rewarded or punished for our actions by God.
    They do have freewill, will to do as they desire, and as they are evil by nature they always will to reject the One True God.

Son Goku said:
    What are perfect genes? What makes them perfect?
    Defects from incest are simple consequences of the topological nature of the folding of nearby genes, so what is this perfection and how does it get around this problem?
    Saying they had perfect genes is an empty claim without an explanation of how it solves the problem of incest.
    Perfect genes are genes without any missing bits, add-ons or other distortions from the perfect-best-possible example. Are you saying that if a couple possessing them mated they would have the same problems as a brother and sister today?
    Did God tell you Genesis 1 was not metaphorical or did he just tell you he created the universe without saying anything about Genesis.
    The former. The Genesis account is used by Christ as historical fact.
    Secondly, why the pretence that this is about Science? You know you're right, this has nothing to do with the observations of the fossils and an analysis of their dating methods, so why go on about your conspiracy crap when you aren't even interested in the actual science?
    So one can either discuss religion or science, but not both? If the religion is true, ie. based on fact, then science will be a part of the universe God has created. So even though I know I'm right, there is a joy in exploring the wonderful world God has created, and in exposing the unwarranted conclusions many scientists today have jumped to. As a non-scientist I can argue the Biblical account. In science I can look at the big picture but not argue the details. Men like JC and the scientists in the Creationist organizations do an excellent job in the latter.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Perfect genes are genes without any missing bits, add-ons or other distortions from the perfect-best-possible example. Are you saying that if a couple possessing them mated they would have the same problems as a brother and sister today?

Even if they were perfect on expulsion, they would have had genetic defects by the time they had children, yes. Mutations c. 175 per generation (that's the 30-year breeding cycle) gives you about 5-6 a year. If you follow what JC claims, you'll see that most of these mutations would be deleterious.
    wolfsbane wrote:

Quote?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    So one can either discuss religion or science, but not both? If the religion is true, ie. based on fact, then science will be a part of the universe God has created. So even though I know I'm right, there is a joy in exploring the wonderful world God has created, and in exposing the unwarranted conclusions many scientists today have jumped to.

Jumped to? The course of 150 years hardly constitutes 'jumping'.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    As a non-scientist I can argue the Biblical account. In science I can look at the big picture but not argue the details. Men like JC and the scientists in the Creationist organizations do an excellent job in the latter.

I can only presume it all looks the same to you. To a scientist, what they do has some rather obvious faults.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    They do have freewill

So we have free will some of the time, and other times our actions are directly controlled by God?

Again being an atheist, and also holding to the idea that any free will is a paradox to the idea of God in the first place, this isn't actually something I hold strong views on, but I'm sure I've hear Christians stating that that position is incorrect.

wolfsbane wrote:
    I'm not sure that is true, though it has been mentioned a few times. I can't find the passage Creationists referer to when they say this. I can find a passage where Jesus is recorded as talking about Adam, but that passage makes sense even if Genesis was metaphor. Biblical references would be helpful here.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    So one can either discuss religion or science, but not both?
    I think his point is that there is not much point discussing science while rejecting the core principles of science, that being the rationalisation that we can be wrong in what we originally think. One of the core principles of religion is the dogma that we cannot be wrong. So this leads to incompatability. If one is not prepared to change ones initial views on a subject matter then there is no much point entering the process of scientific discovery.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    If the religion is true, ie. based on fact, then science will be a part of the universe God has created.

Yes but you are working on the assumption that it is true from the very start. That is ultimately unscientific. You are starting at a conclusion that you want, and then working backwards trying to fit the evidence around that conclusion. Even if you are totally correct that is still a unscientific way to go about it. So ultimately what is the point of using science at all if you have already made up your mind and are not open to proper scientific discovery?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Men like JC and the scientists in the Creationist organizations do an excellent job in the latter.

What JC does is misrepresent scientific theories in an effort to discredit them, to create a vacuum of knowledge where his religious theories can survive. What Son Goku is asking, why bother?

If one rejects science, you both yourself and JC do, then why then bother to try and figure out some way to get science to give you the answer you want? It is pointless. You have already rejected science because of your refusal to consider alternatives to what you initially believe based on your religion. Why not just say that, say science is not for me. Why misrepresent and distort science to try in an effort to get the answer you want when you have already rejected science in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

wolfsbane wrote:

Such a gene does not exist. If it did, it would not be human as we know humanity.

The "best possible example" is still flawed. There is, therefore, no "perfect best possible".

Imagine that you have a situation where one genetic configuration means you are immune from X but prone to Y. Another genetic configuration of the same genes means that you are immune from Y but prone to X. Many other "interim" configurations mean you're more prone to one then the other, but immune to neither. But...there is no known situation where you can have immunity to both.

Now...I admit I use the term "known" in there, so you can postulate all you like that the perfect gene exists where you're immune to both X and Y. But all you'd have isthe belief that it must exist because your religious convictions say it does. In this sense, its as intangible a belief as any other religious belief and therefore cannot be used to support the correctness of those other beliefs.

But from a scientific perspective, it rules out the possibility of there being a "perfect" gene, because no matter which way you go, you're simply choosing a balance between flaws.

Also...what is the perfect height? The perfect BMI? The perfect eye colour? These would all be defined by your allegedly-perfect genes. As would the perfect skin colour....a very dangerous road to start treading.

Perfection is a subjective issue. It is based on what one defines as an ideal, and is the attaining of that ideal which is perfection. With genetics, there is no such known or theoretical wide-ranging ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

wolfsbane wrote:
    Perfect genes are genes without any missing bits, add-ons or other distortions from the perfect-best-possible example.
    How does no missing bits, add-ons or other distortions stop the problem of nearby gene folding?
    This is science, I need a mechanism, otherwise "perfect genes" is a nonsense word.
    Are you saying that if a couple possessing them mated they would have the same problems as a brother and sister today?
    I'm not saying anything, perfect genes hasn't been defined well enough for me to make that claim.
    I didn't ask if it was backed up by another part of the Bible. You have said God revealed the truth to you. Did he personally tell you Genesis is true or that the whole Bible was true. If he did, then I can understand your position.
    However have you only experienced God personally, without him telling you anything about the historicity of the Bible and your claims of Genesis' truth are based on your own later readings of the Bible.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    So one can either discuss religion or science, but not both?
    What? You know that isn't what I'm saying.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    If the religion is true, ie. based on fact, then science will be a part of the universe God has created. So even though I know I'm right, there is a joy in exploring the wonderful world God has created, and in exposing the unwarranted conclusions many scientists today have jumped to.
    You can't discuss Science with the underlined attitude. Also, both you and JC show a great misunderstanding of science. Neither of you seem to realise that when you propose an idea in science it has to be fully thought out. You can't just use some snappy phrasing like "perfect genes", it has to be explicit how your new class of genes gets around common problems.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    In science I can look at the big picture but not argue the details. Men like JC and the scientists in the Creationist organizations do an excellent job in the latter.
    Nonsense, Science is the details. The Big Picture is incredibly hard to understand unless you spend time learning the details.
    Besides if you don't know the details, I don't see how you can be exposing the unwarranted conclusions many scientists today have jumped to. (As melodramatic as that phraing is.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

wolfsbane wrote:
    Indeed, but Schuhart is mistaken if he thinks the Bible teaches that. It repeatedly tells us of instances where God decides who is born and when. He also decides when each of us dies.
    Just to clear, what I’m trying to do is reconcile JC’s apparent belief on the one hand that evolution is not consistent with a god described as maker and creator us all, with his other contention that free will implies no divine interference with our relationships.

If, as JC says, we have free will over who we love, then clearly God has no control over who becomes parents and hence no control over who gets born. All that happens is God presumably ‘validates’ each conception by giving it a soul. Clearly, in principle, the same process could happen in evolution. God waits until whatever threshold is passed that makes him say ‘that’s human’, and starts supplying souls.

If, on the other hand, if you contend that God in fact determines who we love and when we copulate in advance, then you would seem to at least have a logically consistent position. The only problem I can see with that view is the question of sin, as pointed out already. For example, how can adultery be sinful if it produces a child that, presumably, God wanted to create anyway?

Scofflaw said:
    Even if they were perfect on expulsion, they would have had genetic defects by the time they had children, yes. Mutations c. 175 per generation (that's the 30-year breeding cycle) gives you about 5-6 a year. If you follow what JC claims, you'll see that most of these mutations would be deleterious.
    Yes, once Adam and Eve fell, they became subject to deterioriation and death. Their descendants likewise, and they also inherited the defects from their parents. They also became subject enviromental changes, some likely dramatic (the reduction in longevity following the Flood, for example).
    Quote?
    Matthew 19:3 The Pharisees also came to Him, testing Him, and saying to Him, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for just any reason?”
    4 And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who madethem at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”
    7 They said to Him, “Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?”
    8 He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.

You will note that the reference to the Edenic event was not just a passing allusion, but was used to enforce a moral imperative.

Matthew 23:34 Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city, 35 that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.
    The coming destruction of Jerusalem and the Exile of the Jews in AD70 was a literal event, so too then was the murder of Abel in Genesis.
    Jumped to? The course of 150 years hardly constitutes 'jumping'.
    Over 6000 years it is a very recent event.
    I can only presume it all looks the same to you. To a scientist, what they do has some rather obvious faults.
    Other scientists would disagree. :)

Wicknight said:
    So we have free will some of the time, and other times our actions are directly controlled by God?
    No, men always choose freely to do what their heart desires. God does not make them do evil. He directs and constrains their evil desires so that they only do the evil He permits, rather than all the evil they would desire. In that sense, man's actions are controlled by God.

But they are free to love and obey God if they desire to do so - however, that is totally contrary to their desires, so they never do it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Other scientists would disagree.

So, it looks like you believe that all opinions are equally valid and that evidence, trustworthiness and reason play no part in your decision process.

Risking running foul of Godwin's Law, does David Irving's dismissal of the Holocaust suggest to you that the Holocaust may not have happened?

wolfsbane wrote:
    Yes, once Adam and Eve fell, they became subject to deterioriation and death. Their descendants likewise, and they also inherited the defects from their parents. They also became subject enviromental changes, some likely dramatic (the reduction in longevity following the Flood, for example).

The Flood? Did their genes get wet, perhaps? Seriously, though, the existence of such defects in a small breeding pool would have the effects originally described by Wicknight. As a result of the imperfections allowed by the Fall, the original perfection of the genes would rapidly have become irrelevant.

And no, the fall in life expectancy found in the Bible cannot be explained by such a mechanism. It is too sudden, and too large. We should actually see an asymptotic fall in longevity, not multiple generations of extremely long-lived people followed by short-lived ones. Personally, I think that's more likely to be where the account steps from myth to proto-history.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Matthew 19:3 The Pharisees also came to Him, testing Him, and saying to Him, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for just any reason?”
    4 And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who madethem at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”
    7 They said to Him, “Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?”
    8 He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.

You will note that the reference to the Edenic event was not just a passing allusion, but was used to enforce a moral imperative.

And works equally well if the whole passage is metaphorical, and exists only to enforce that moral imperative.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Matthew 23:34 Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city, 35 that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.
    The coming destruction of Jerusalem and the Exile of the Jews in AD70 was a literal event, so too then was the murder of Abel in Genesis.

Doesn't follow at all. One is prophecy, the other record.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Over 6000 years it is a very recent event.

Over 6000 years the NT is a recent event. A silly remark.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Other scientists would disagree. :)

And 99.9% wouldn't. Really, wolfsbane, you can't hold up a handful of scientists as right when discussing what is, or is not, science. For one thing, you lack the scientific expertise to make a relevant judgement.

You are welcome to say that a very small number of scientists agree with you, if you like, but really the claim lacks all credibility when you try to extend it beyond that. A small number of scientists can be found who believe that Elvis is alive, and we can even pick out some Scientologists, I suspect, but that does not make their outlandish ideas any more likely to be the truth - the same applies to you and yours.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Just a quickie on the conspiracy/suppression of truth theme:

INTOLERANCE AND THE POLITICIZATION OF SCIENCE AT THE SMITHSONIAN
    http://www.souder.house.gov/_files/IntoleranceandthePoliticizationofScienceattheSmithsonian.pdf

The Branding of a Heretic http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110006220

Smithsonian: Religious Scientists Prohibited
    http://www.icr.org/articles/view/3144/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Just a quickie on the conspiracy/suppression of truth theme:

This has been discussed in the past and the guy who was rapped was shown to have ignored journal policy regarding peer review, then behaved disgracefully once he'd been found out and began to spread well-documented lies concerning his actions.

It need hardly be added -- but in this thread, I suppose it has to be -- that even if this were a conspiracy (which it isn't), it only happened once. There are thousands of other journals were it didn't happen. Even the most paranoid conspiracy theorist must admit that one heavily-disputed instance does not a conspiracy make.

And finally, the most important question: why bother? Every bookshop in the USA is stuffed with racks of creationist literature while Uncle Ken of AiG continues to rake in millions from the kind of people who would never crack the spine of a real science journal anyway. What on earth is the point of suppressing a silly article in a journal that nobody reads anyway?

wolfsbane wrote:
    Just a quickie on the conspiracy/suppression of truth theme:

Once again I am forced to point out that:

1. As you point out yourselves, Creationist scientists do exist, some in positions of eminence - so they are not suppressed

2. As you point out yourselves, articles critical of evolution are written and published in the scientific media - so they are not suppressed

3. As we are forced to point out - most scientists are religious, not atheist, so an atheist conspiracy make little sense

4. If this is a conspiracy, it is the most effective in all history, extending to millions of scientists in scores of countries

5. Oil companies and mining companies do not use 'Biblical' geology, and they are, believe me, sufficiently profit-motivated to do so if it worked. And yes, the difference would be huge.

6. The motivation of individual scientists is to overthrow the existing paradigm, because that's how you win recognition and awards. It's not always easy, because the previous winners are hanging on to their paradigm, but science progresses nevertheless

In other words, your conspiracy cannot work. Trumpeting the occasional example of bad behaviour by individuals will never prove that the impossible is real, and it is the usual sad reflection on the power of your claims that they require such a conspiracy in the first place.

Finally, by claiming that the truth is suppressed by a scientific conspiracy, you are directly calling those of us who are scientists liars and conspirators. Personally, you have my word that no such conspiracy exists - and that indeed it is the opposite of the truth.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Schuhart
    Just to clarify – you are saying God will only interfere with the free will of the person praying.

God doesn’t interfere with our free will, whether we’re praying or not.
    However, He does inspire us with His Word in the Bible and He indwells all Christians with His Holy Spirit.
    God also restrains Satan so that the capacity of Satan’s evil influence is reduced in the World.

Schuhart
    Does this restraint on (Satan and his Host’s) freedom of action prevent them from doing any evil, or does (God) decide to let them do evil sometimes?
    God restrains Satan’s malevolent activities in a general way – which results in the attenuation of Satan’s power over the unsaved.
    Jesus Christ’s death on the cross permanently broke Satan’s power over the saved – and indeed all Christians actually have the power to rebuke Satan in Jesus Christ’s name.

Satan still has the freedom to tempt people to sin – and when they sin, Satan accuses them before God.

Originally Posted by J C
    I think that, if Roman Catholic Evolutionists take the time to reflect on the words CREATOR and MAKER, they will indeed find them to be inconsistent with their belief in God being the EVOLVER of Heaven and Earth!!

Schuhart
    Not unless they think it means God personally fathered each of us, and then carried us in Her womb for the full period of gestation.

Both the Apostles and Nicene Creeds confirm that there are three Divine (male) Persons in the One God i.e. Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

They also confirm that Jesus Christ was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of a (Human) virgin called Mary.

Finally, could I remind you that God has no womb and He didn’t need a womb because He created the Universe and all life through a fiat act of His divine will i.e. He said but the word ……. and it was done.:D

Originally Posted by J C
    Radiometric Dating also doesn’t work in PRACTICE – because erroneous (very large) ages are routinely obtained from rocks of recent KNOWN ages.

Schuhart
    I’m not a scientist, so I’m not going to pretend to have technical knowledge that I don’t have. That said, I thought that it was known and acknowledged that carbon dating was not of great use for recent dates.

Radio-Carbon Dating IS the most accurate radiometric dating method – and it is reasonably accurate for dating organic matter with ages up to a few thousand years i.e. RECENT dates.

The maximum theoretical limits of Carbon dating is only 50.000 years (which is only a ‘drop in the ocean’ of supposedly evolutionary time of millions of years, in any event).

The rate of decay of 14 C is such that half of it will convert back to 14 N in 5,730 +/- 40 years. That is the half life of 14C is 5,730 +/- 40 years.
    In two half lives or 11,460 years only one quarter will be left and theoretically after 60,000 years less than one thousandth will remain.

However, things are not quite that simple.

Firstly, plants discriminate against CO2 molecules that contain 14C. That is, they take up less than would be expected from the ratio of 14C to 12C in the atmosphere and so they test “older” than they really are (based upon atmospheric ratios of 14C : 12C).

Secondly, different plants discriminate differently against 14C and this adds further complexity to interpreting radiocarbon “dates” involving their tissue remnants.

Thirdly, the ratio of 14C : 12C in the atmosphere has not been constant – for example, it was higher before the industrial era, when massive burning of ‘fossil fuels’ released vast quantities of CO2 that was depleted in 14C. This makes things that lived during this time appear “older” in terms of carbon dating.

Fourthly, the amount of cosmic rays penetrating the Earth’s atmosphere affects the amount of 14C being produced. The amount of cosmic rays reaching the Earth varies with the Sun’s activity.

Fifthly, the strength of the Earth’s magnetic field affects the amount of cosmic rays entering the atmosphere and the magnetic field varies by up to 100% between different locations on Earth.
    The overall strength of the Earth’s magnetic field has been rapidly decreasing – and this decline has been confirmed to be exponential with a half life of only 1400 years – i.e. it is declining at a rate 50% in 1400 years – and so significantly more 14C is now being produced than in the past, making old thinks look even “older” than they really are.

Direct measurement of historically dated objects, such as, for example, plant material in graves of accurately dated tombs, enables the 14C ratio in the atmosphere to be determined and so calibration of the ‘carbon clock’ is possible for the past few thousand years.

My big reservations are however, primarily in relation to radiometric ROCK dating – where very serious dating discrepancies have occurred with many rock samples of known recent ages!!!

ALL radiometric dating methods are based upon the following unproven ASSUMPTIONS:-
    1. That the starting conditions are known (for example, that there was no daughter isotope present at the start, or that we know how much daughter isotope was there).
    2. That decay rates remained constant.
    3. That the systems were closed so that no parent or daughter isotopes were added or lost throughout the period that that rock has existed
    These unproven and unprovable ASSUMPTIONS prevent any reliable dating conclusions being drawn.

Indeed, there are many examples of known recently formed rocks being radiometrically dated at millions of years old.
    For example, rock samples taken from submarine lava flows from Kilauea volcano in Hawaii, which are known to have occurred in the 1950’s, have been radiometrically ‘dated’ at 4 million years old.

Equally, the K-Ar ‘dating’ of five historical andesite lava flows from Mt Ngauruhoe in New Zealand during 1949, 1954 and 1975 produced radiometric ages that varied from 0.27 to 3.5 MILLION years old!!

There are numerous other examples including the remains of trees that were radiometrically ‘dated’ at c40 THOUSAND years BP and clearly buried under basalt that flowed over them - which was radiometrically ‘dated’ at c 40 MILLION years BP. Could I remind you that this difference IS 100,000% !!!

In a study by Dr Steve Austin of the Institute for Creation Research, Basalt rocks from the Uinkaret Plateau of The Grand Canyon (which most Evolutionist Geologists accept as only thousands of years old) had the following DIFFERENT ages ‘established’ by radiometric dating :-

Six Potassium-Argon ages from 10,000 to 117 Million years.
    Five Rubidium-Strontium ages from 1.270 Million to 1,390 Million years.
    One Rubidium Strontium isochron 1,340 Million years.
    One Lead-Lead isochron 2,600 Million years.

Son Goku
    What are perfect genes? What makes them perfect?
    Defects from incest are simple consequences of the topological nature of the folding of nearby genes, so what is this perfection and how does it get around this problem?
    Saying they had perfect genes is an empty claim without an explanation of how it solves the problem of incest.

Every Human Being has hundreds of lethal or semi-lethal alleles – i.e. heterozygous genes that would be fatal in their homozygous recessive forms.
    In other words, damage has occurred to half of the gene – and if this half gets matched with another damaged half during sexual reproduction the resultant offspring will suffer death or serious disability.

It is known that close relatives have lethal and semi-lethal alleles on SIMILAR gene loci – while unrelated individuals have DIFFERENT lethal and semi-lethal allele loci.
    So, if close relatives mate, the chances of homozygous recessive matches between lethal or semi lethal alleles is much greater than between unrelated individuals – and that is why ‘inbreeding depression’ occurs.

When all organisms were perfect (and didn’t have recessive mutant alleles) in the immediate aftermath of creation, there was no ‘inbreeding depression’ – and so marriage between close relatives was allowed.

There was little / no genetic defects in the earlier generations of mankind (because they had been created perfect by God). Therefore, the children born of unions between close relatives did not run any significant danger of being homozygous for serious genetic disorders (which is the main historical reason for banning incest among consenting adults).
    Genetic disorders largely arose after Noah’s Flood when background radiation apparently greatly increased the mutation rates (as measured by the rapid collapse in longevity from several hundred years to an average of 70 years) – and a Law was then given by God in Lev 20:17 that siblings shouldn’t marry.
    Although not advisable because of our increasing ‘mutation loads’, near cousins may still legally marry – so there shouldn’t be any great wonder about close relatives marrying each other during the immediate subsequent generations from Adam and Eve – and therefore there was NO risk of inbreeding depression with the immediate generations following Adam and Eve – who is stated to be ”the mother of all living (people)” in Gen 3:20.

Scofflaw
    In order for Creationism to "explain" this, it resorts to bizarre contortions - some sediments are supposed to be pre-Flood, some Flood, animals are sorted by mysterious hydrological processes that never mix human and dinosaur bones, or indeed the bones of any animals supposed to be of different ages, despite their various sizes, the Earth splits in two, continents slide around at the massive speeds only to mysteriously stop just before historical records begin, water is mysteriously boiled off without boiling anything alive - and on and on through a bewildering and contradictory array of mechanisms, not one of which has ever been observed.

One great big ‘Straw Man’!!!!

Could I gently point out that it is the Evolutionists who believe that the continents are drifting about the Globe like crazed dodgem cars !!!!:eek:

Each science discipline provides incontrovertible evidence for Creation as follows:-

1. Geology shows that all fossils are less than c. 7,000 years old with the vast majority of fossils dating from Noah’s Flood 5,000 +/- 500 years ago. The assumption that the millions of so-called “annual micro layers” observed in deep sedimentary rock layers such as the Grand Canyon represented millions of years of sedimentary deposition was disproved during the Mount St Helens volcanic eruption in 1980 when hundreds of thousands of “micro layers” were observed to be laid down in newly formed sedimentary rocks in a matter of hours.
    Equally, polystrate tree fossils are observed ‘standing up through’ sedimentary rock layers that supposedly took millions of years to lay down – the logical conclusion is that that these layers were laid down rapidly and not over millions of years. It is ridiculous to postulate that a dead tree stood upright for millions of years while slow deposition of sediment gradually buried it. The fact that the ‘bottom’ of the fossilised tree is observed to be as well preserved as the ‘top’ is also a ‘bit of a giveaway’ that very rapid burial took place. Deep sedimentary rock layers therefore do not indicate ‘long ages’ – only a catastrophic worldwide disaster!!!!

Radioactive dating of rocks doesn’t work in PRINCIPLE – because we cannot know what the starting levels of radioactivity were or if further radioactivity was added or taken away (for example, by the differential leaching of the radioactive chemicals such as Potassium) during the ‘life’ of the rock. It also doesn’t work in PRACTICE – because erroneous (very large) ages are routinely obtained from rocks of recent KNOWN ages.

2. Palaeontology shows the sequence in which creatures were killed and buried during Noah’s Flood – seafloor dwelling creatures and flocculated plankton first – all the way up to large land animals and birds, that obviously would be last to ‘succumb to the waves’. The extraction of red blood cells and haemoglobin from (unfossilized) dinosaur bone and the extraction of DNA fragments from insects trapped in supposedly multiple million year old amber indicates that these creatures were alive very recently indeed. If these bones / insects were, in fact, millions of years old, all biological material in them would have completely degenerated by now. The observed rates of biological degeneration under such conditions would give maximal ages of a few thousand years for these bones / insects.
    The list of species in the so-called Geological Column represents the order of their catastrophic burial and it is NOT a record of their supposed evolution.

Equally, using collections of animal and plant fossils to ‘date’ a rock on the basis of Evolutionary assumptions in relation to the assumed position of these creatures in the ‘Evolutionary Tree’ is only valid if Evolution (and its Tree) are scientifically valid. It is actually an example of circular reasoning in action.
    Strata, which hold the same collection of fossils, could indicate that these creatures were buried during the same stage of the Flood Event for a number of reasons including their physical location in the Biosphere or the place where they gathered together before being drowned. It could also be related to their size, shape or hydrodynamic characteristics.
    3. Taxonomy shows the CURRENT biological relationships among species that have arisen through speciation processes acting on the original created Kinds.
    Evolution explains nothing more than the scientifically valid phenomenon of Natural Selection, and this isn’t contested by Creation Scientists.:D :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Scofflaw
    The majority of scientists, worldwide, are religious - suck it up.

I would say that ALL scientists are religious – some believe in Jesus Christ, some in other Gods – and many of the ones with the greatest levels of faith, believe in Materialistic Evolution!!!!:D

Scofflaw
    Yes, it's pretty hard for the Theistic Evolutionist, but certainly not impossible.

Assume for a moment that souls evolved as well as bodies.

So now we have evolving (yet eternal) souls!!!:D

It’s hard for Theistic Evolutionists to establish a role for God in Evolution, because Evolution was originally invented (and continues to be used by Atheists) to eliminate God as the originator of life!!!!!:D

Scofflaw
    People didn't get the Word of God until they had evolved enough to understand it.

Most of the Skeptics on this thread still don’t get the Word of God!!!!:D

……so have they not evolved sufficiently yet????:confused::)

Scofflaw
    And atheists? We're just throwbacks.

Devolution in action(due to the Fall), I presume!!!!:D

Son Goku
    It (The Big Bang) concerns itself with how the universe got from having totally unbroken electroweak symmetry to when galaxies formed. It doesn't attempt to explain where time, matter and energy came from,

Originally Posted by J C
    or are Atheists now admitting that they haven’t a clue how energy, time and matter originated

Wicknight
    Scientists, atheist or theist, have always admitted that

OK, so this image of everything starting as a ‘singularity’ and exploding outwards in a Big Bang is all an 'inaccuracy' – that Evolutionists have invented to deny Creation and confuse themselves with!!!!:eek: :D

………….and before we all start another chorus of “oh yes it did / oh no it didn’t” let me stop you in your tracks with the following devastating evidence that the Big Bang NEVER occurred:-

The Background Radiation of the Big Bang has ‘gone up in smoke’ (amongst Evolutionists) and here is a quote from a recent edition of Science Daily on the matter:-
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060905104549.htm
    University of Alabama at Huntsville scientists are scratching their heads at a finding that may see the big bang “blown away” in the minds of scientists. Big bang advocates believe the cosmic explosion is responsible for the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation we observe. However, scientists have long predicted that galaxy clusters in the universe would deflect the CMB radiation, creating “shadows” in the observable radiation. But when the Alabama scientists measured this effect, they did not find any strong “shadows” as expected.
    Equally last year, the same researchers published results of a study using WMAP data to look for evidence of "lensing" effects which should have also been seen, but weren't, if the microwave background was a Big Bang remnant.
    This indicates that the CMB radiation may not be “behind” distant galaxies, but is much closer instead. Since the big bang interpretation REQUIRES the CMB radiation to be behind the farthest galaxies, this new discovery is a devastating blow to the Big Bang Model, and indicates that the CMB radiation cannot be leftover radiation from a Big Bang. Of course, this isn’t the only evidence against a big bang.”
    …..and you can read up on the accumulating scientific evidence AGAINST the Big Bang here:-
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/faq/astronomy.asp#big_bang

Very soon there will be as much scientific evidence against the Big Bang as has currently been assembled against macro-Evolution!!!!

Wicknight
    Reproduction errors cause mutation. This has been observed.

…..and that is WHY we AVOID sources of mutagenesis – like radioactivity and certain chemicals!!!

Wicknight
    Mutation can increase, decrease, or rearrange genetic information. That has been observed.

……just like any serious injury can increase and rearrange the area affected!!!!:D

Wicknight
    Mutation can bestown benefit on an organism. This has been observed.

………..just like any serious injury can bestow the (dubious) benefit of some time off from work!!!!:D

Wicknight
    Natural selection selects these beneficial mutations based on the environment

This might work with come kind of simple, uni-dimensional organism where selection rested on one trait only.
    However, any complex organism is a combination literally billions of traits, some good, some neutral and some bad as well as many traits masked in the heterozygous state.

So NS isn’t able to follow some mythical yellow brick road of increasing utility to eventually produce Man. It would get bogged down with the first ‘self replicating molecule’ as its ‘descendants’ picked up an ever-increasing load of useless or bad traits – with very few good ones emerging – and these in organisms already gravely afflicted with the useless or bad traits!!!!

Wicknight
    My friend and I are stick in northern Russia. We want to go look for food. If I put on a woolly coat and go out into a snow storm with a friend who is wearing just a t-shirt the environment will kill my friend. That is blind directing that wearing a t-shirt in the snow is a not good, where as having a coat is beneficial. Natural selection has selected me over my friend, despite the fact that it is not an intelligent process.

Sounds like ‘death by misadventure’ to me!!!

You could equally be killed by a falling tree and your friend could then use your coat to survive.

You could kill a Polar Bear and your friend could survive by ‘clothing’ herself in the Bear’s skin!!!

You could share your coat with your friend or leave her back in base camp while you go out and get a 'take-away' in the local burger joint!!!!

There are an infinite number of scenarios and possible outcomes – and therefore the process ISN’T ‘directed’ - and therefore it doesn’t show any potential to account for the DIRECTIONAL development of the Complex Specified Information observed in life.:cool:

Wicknight
    The classic example of blind direction, that even you might understand, is that of a river path. This is completely decided by the environment the river finds itself in. A no point does an intelligence look out over the land and go "This is the best way to go"

Yes indeed, the river can change it’s course tomorrow – and it will still be a river.

…..but if a critical process in a living organism underwent, even a minor change, the organism would DIE!!!

Wicknight
    Every species has trillions of individual organisms that suffer something "awful" because of a damaging mutation. But because they suffer awfully this lowers their fitness and this mutation is therefore not selected by natural selection.

Amazingly, I find that most people lead normal healthy lives – and I don’t find any particular correlation between ‘physical fitness’ and ‘fecundity’!!!!

Wicknight
    He (God) didn't allow it to happen, he choose the way it happened, a wasteful way of doing it, over a less wasteful, but just as easy, alternative. Which would make him stupid

One organism’s abundant ‘waste’ is another organisms abundant food!!!!

………….and it was all created GOOD by God…………….and it is therefore proof of God’s benevolence !!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement