Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

wolfsbane wrote:
    wicknight wrote:
    God didn't say it did. People who claim to speak for God said it did. But then every religion is full of people who claim to speak for their gods. Some of them must be wrong.
    Most of them are wrong. So are you. God's people read the words of the apostles and prophets and God confirms in their hearts that this is the truth, that these men spoke what God told them to say.

You suppress His voice in your conscience and the witness you see around you. If you continue to do so, one day you will hear it, when it will be too late to repent. That is why JC, myself and others warn you of your madness and point you to the Saviour of sinners.
    Much as Son Goku says. You must know that if acceptance of the Bible is essential for salvation, God must be dreadfully unfair as people raised in places where it is the standard holy book have an advantage over those who don't. Equally, you must appreciate that if you were born in anther part of the world you might have an equal conviction about the Quran and would similarly warn Christians that they haven't got the correct message.

So is God unfair, or is it just that no religion can claim to have a monopoly on truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Scofflaw said:
    The Flood? Did their genes get wet, perhaps? Seriously, though, the existence of such defects in a small breeding pool would have the effects originally described by Wicknight. As a result of the imperfections allowed by the Fall, the original perfection of the genes would rapidly have become irrelevant.
    How can you be so sure that the 9 generations from Adam to Noah would produce such a harmful level of defective genes? Remember, it was from a near perfect beginning. I would have thought not.
    And no, the fall in life expectancy found in the Bible cannot be explained by such a mechanism. It is too sudden, and too large. We should actually see an asymptotic fall in longevity, not multiple generations of extremely long-lived people followed by short-lived ones. Personally, I think that's more likely to be where the account steps from myth to proto-history.
    You think that a dramatic rise in exposure to radiation could not cause a dramatic reduction in longevity? The Bible does not tell us why longevity decreased, just that it did. Christians speculate as to the cause and solar radiation seems a possibility, given the likelihood of atomspheric changes following the global Flood.
    Doesn't follow at all. One is prophecy, the other record.
    Prophecy of a literal event, not a parable. Both the murder of Abel and the destruction of Jerusalem in AD70 are historical events.
    You are welcome to say that a very small number of scientists agree with you, if you like, but really the claim lacks all credibility when you try to extend it beyond that. A small number of scientists can be found who believe that Elvis is alive, and we can even pick out some Scientologists, I suspect, but that does not make their outlandish ideas any more likely to be the truth - the same applies to you and yours.
    But the atheist objections to Creationist scientists is not to their beliefs about Creation, but about their scientific arguments that support those beliefs. If someone has science to support Elvis being alive, I would welcome it being presented. But Evolutionists (mostly) do not want the Creation case presented. I think our Wall Street Journal friend puts it well:

"Darwinism, by contrast, is an essential ingredient in secularism, that aggressive, quasi-religious faith without a deity. The Sternberg case seems, in many ways, an instance of one religion persecuting a rival, demanding loyalty from anyone who enters one of its churches--like the National Museum of Natural History."

Schuhart said:
    Much as Son Goku says. You must know that if acceptance of the Bible is essential for salvation, God must be dreadfully unfair as people raised in places where it is the standard holy book have an advantage over those who don't. Equally, you must appreciate that if you were born in anther part of the world you might have an equal conviction about the Quran and would similarly warn Christians that they haven't got the correct message.

So is God unfair, or is it just that no religion can claim to have a monopoly on truth?

God makes sure the elect hear the gospel. They are found in every tribe, and nation. So we preach the gospel to all. If any place never hears the gospel, nor any of its people come to where the gospel is preached, that is because none of the elect happen to be there at that time.

No, God is not unfair nor are other religions true. God is not unfair, because He is under no obligation to save anyone. All are sinners, deserving of His wrath. That He chooses to save some and not others is an act of mercy to the former and justice to the latter.

Son Goku said:
    I didn't ask if it was backed up by another part of the Bible. You have said God revealed the truth to you. Did he personally tell you Genesis is true or that the whole Bible was true. If he did, then I can understand your position.
    However have you only experienced God personally, without him telling you anything about the historicity of the Bible and your claims of Genesis' truth are based on your own later readings of the Bible.
    God impressed upon me that Genesis was true, using Christ's validation of it to do so. Not the mere reading of Christ's word, but that reading backed up by the Spirit's witness in my heart.
    You can't discuss Science with the underlined attitude. Also, both you and JC show a great misunderstanding of science. Neither of you seem to realise that when you propose an idea in science it has to be fully thought out. You can't just use some snappy phrasing like "perfect genes", it has to be explicit how your new class of genes gets around common problems.
    As I pointed out to Wicknight(?), my certainty comes from the spiritual reality. When I come to science or any other material thing, I don't have absolute certainty. So I know that God did not use evolution to make the present world, that it was created according to the Genesis account. Just how it works and what it has experienced in any particular place is open to debate.
    Nonsense, Science is the details. The Big Picture is incredibly hard to understand unless you spend time learning the details.
    Besides if you don't know the details, I don't see how you can be exposing the unwarranted conclusions many scientists today have jumped to. (As melodramatic as that phraing is.)
    So no non-scientist should say they think evolution or creation is the way it happened, as they are not qualified to discuss the details? Maybe our politicians, educationalists, etc. should be told this.:rolleyes:

Schuhart said:
    Just to clear, what I’m trying to do is reconcile JC’s apparent belief on the one hand that evolution is not consistent with a god described as maker and creator us all, with his other contention that free will implies no divine interference with our relationships.
    Got you.
    If, as JC says, we have free will over who we love, then clearly God has no control over who becomes parents and hence no control over who gets born. All that happens is God presumably ‘validates’ each conception by giving it a soul. Clearly, in principle, the same process could happen in evolution. God waits until whatever threshold is passed that makes him say ‘that’s human’, and starts supplying souls.
    Depends on what my brother JC means by freewill. I have given my definition, which I believe I can show is the Biblical one. Man's will is free - but bound to his nature. God does not make him sin, he does that because that is what he wants to do.

It is true in the physical aspect that God has made us to work, rest, play, procreate, etc. But every action is under His control, either positively or permissively. Nothing happens without His consent. So every sexual event is supervised by God, and it is His decision as to whether a sperm reaches an egg or not; if the baby survives to birth or not; when we die and all the events of our life in between.

So the problem with evolution is not that God could not have done it that way, but that He says He did not.
    If, on the other hand, if you contend that God in fact determines who we love and when we copulate in advance, then you would seem to at least have a logically consistent position. The only problem I can see with that view is the question of sin, as pointed out already. For example, how can adultery be sinful if it produces a child that, presumably, God wanted to create anyway?
    What God would like men to do, and what He actually allows them to do or commands them to do gives the difference. God wants all of us to be faithful spouses and commands us to be so. Yet He often does not stop us committing adultery. The Two wills of God. Neither of which makes him guilty or the sinner innocent.

• Advertisement

Scofflaw said:
    Once again I am forced to point out that:

1. As you point out yourselves, Creationist scientists do exist, some in positions of eminence - so they are not suppressed
    So Christians exist in China, therefore they are not suppressed there? Communists existed under McCarthy, so they were not suppressed then?
    2. As you point out yourselves, articles critical of evolution are written and published in the scientific media - so they are not suppressed
    Same principle as above.
    3. As we are forced to point out - most scientists are religious, not atheist, so an atheist conspiracy make little sense
    The establishment are mainly atheists, and those who are not are in bed with them.
    4. If this is a conspiracy, it is the most effective in all history, extending to millions of scientists in scores of countries
    Ignorance, indifference and fear of crossing the establishment are all at work.
    5. Oil companies and mining companies do not use 'Biblical' geology, and they are, believe me, sufficiently profit-motivated to do so if it worked. And yes, the difference would be huge.
    I'm not sure how the geology differs, so I can't comment.
    6. The motivation of individual scientists is to overthrow the existing paradigm, because that's how you win recognition and awards. It's not always easy, because the previous winners are hanging on to their paradigm, but science progresses nevertheless
    The bigger motivation is not to be crucified as a heretic.
    Trumpeting the occasional example of bad behaviour by individuals will never prove that the impossible is real, and it is the usual sad reflection on the power of your claims that they require such a conspiracy in the first place.
    Just because one is paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you! :D
    Finally, by claiming that the truth is suppressed by a scientific conspiracy, you are directly calling those of us who are scientists liars and conspirators.
    No, delusion or ignorance would be lesser faults that apply to many scientists.
    Personally, you have my word that no such conspiracy exists - and that indeed it is the opposite of the truth.
    I'll put that done to delusion, not to a lack of veracity or malevolence. :)

Scofflaw said:
    Which were determined by God. Are you dodging?
    No. Adam's nature was perfect and good when God made him. Adam sinned, and his nature fell. So if you mean God made Adam sin, you are mistaken.

wolfsbane wrote:
    God makes sure the elect hear the gospel. They are found in every tribe, and nation. So we preach the gospel to all. If any place never hears the gospel, nor any of its people come to where the gospel is preached, that is because none of the elect happen to be there at that time.

No, God is not unfair nor are other religions true. God is not unfair, because He is under no obligation to save anyone.
    This clears it up for me. You are saying God is unfair, in the sense that if he did not create you as one of the elect you are ****ed. Which removes the need to pay any attention to him whatsoever.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    So every sexual event is supervised by God, and it is His decision as to whether a sperm reaches an egg or not;……. Yet He often does not stop us committing adultery. The Two wills of God. Neither of which makes him guilty or the sinner innocent.
    I’ve (sort of) got your idea that our free will is subject to divine consent. But, you’ll understand, this isn’t exactly a recipe for consistency – which is not to say that God has to be consistent, seeing as how you seem to be painting a picture of a cranky old Jehovah screwing with us because our discomfort amuses him. Imagine him cracking up laughing as he watches all those devout Muslims praying to him five times a day convinced that He's listening.

But it still, to my mind, leaves that issue of adultery in a grey area. Either God allows the act to take place at a time when a child will be conceived, or diverts it if for some reason he doesn’t want a child to be born. In the first case someone sins. In the second they don’t – all at the behest of God’s will.

Doesn’t make for consistency, but I suppose if you really think the universe is in the hands of an utterly erratic deity, who can argue with you?

Wicknight said:
    But God decided what Adam's nature would be. Adam disobeyed God because of his nature. Since Adam was created by God that was surely how God wanted Adam, and therefore the rest of humanity to be.
    God permitted adam to sin, He did not make him do so. Adam and Eve were the only humans ever able to either be holy or sinful.
    You seem to be saying that the natural state of man is to disobey God, just as Adam did when he took the apple that God told him not to. God punished Adam for this. But why, since God created Adam in that form in the first place.
    Man now is unable to choose to be holy (love and obey God). He will always choose to rebel, for that is what he wants to do. Adam was not like that.
    But they are sinners because that is the way God wanted it to be.
    No, God commanded Adam to obey Him. That was what God wanted.
    We had no choice to be sinners, we were made that way (according to you).
    So what are we being punished for. If we are made sinners, and we cannot repent for that sin unless God helps us, why are we punished?
    We fell with Adam. We are not born innocents like he was when created. We are like him after his fall. God punishes us for what we do. We do because of what we are - sinners.
    What was the blame? If we have no choice in how we are made (we don't) and we have no choice in if we can turn towards God and obey him (which you claim we don't) then what exactly are we being blamed for And don't say we are being blamed for our sinful nature. I am asking you why is our sinful nature our fault
    Because it is who we are. We may claim we are not to blame for being evil, it is just the way we are made. But God does not accept this as an excuse. The bottom line is we ARE evil, therefore deserving of His wrath:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=romans%209:6-24;&version=50;
    You wouldn't blame a disabled child for being born disabled.
    Being disabled is not a moral fault, therefore is without blame.
    Also why did God create creatures who's natural state is to hate him?
    We are Adam's descendants, and he was created perfect. His later fallen nature is what we have inherited.
    Does this actually make sense in your head Wolfsbane? Seriously?
    Yes, it makes sense, given it is God who reveals it and not something dreamed up by men. If God is who He said He is, then I have no problem accepting it.
    No he didn't. Adam sinned, so clearly Adam had the ability to disobey God that you claim we all have as our natural state. This ability was present from the moment God created him, so clearly it is how God wished him to be.
    You mistake the ability to choose good or evil with being evil itself. It isn't. That ability was described by God as 'very good'. Our ability to only choose evil is not like that.
    God also created Adam knowing that he would do this, so it is in direct result of the state God created Adam in.
    Yes, God knew he would do so.
    It is illogical to say God made Adam sinless because time is irrelevant to God. God created Adam future at the same time as he created Adam's present. Adam's future cannot be separate from his moment of creation as far as God is concerned. They are one existence.

If at any point on Adam's time line of life he sinned then you cannot say that God created Adam sinless because he didn't, since Adam's entire life is direct response to the moment of his creation.
    You seem to know more about what God thinks and how He works than He has told the rest of us. God is above time, but we are not. Adam was created in time, so created sinless.
    Only because that is how God wanted it to be.

Remember God makes the rules of the universe. God knew Adam would sin when he created him. God also knew that when Adam sinned that God would curse all mankind for that sin. He knew this would happen when he created Adam. In fact God knew this before he created the universe.

This is how God wished it to be.
    Back to the permissive and positive wills of God. God allowed man to sin, but did not wish them to do so. Even humans do that without us suggesting they are culpable.
    But you have just said they don't freely choose what they desire, that they cannot in fact not choose to not follow that that they desire unless God intervenes. That is not a choice Wolfsbane.
    If you stop by force an alcoholic going into a pub, he can rightly say he has been denied his freewill. If you permit him to do so, you have granted him freewill. Sounds like freewill to me, even if he is a slave to his drink.
    But that is something humans choose for themselves. Jesus points the direction, but one must choose to follow the path.

But you claim that one cannot choose to follow the path unless God makes them follow the path. That is illogical, because if that were the case then no one could be punished for not following the path and obeying God because it is up to God to decide if you do or not. You cannot punish someone for something God has to decide Himself.
    If you spend the rent money on drink and so CANNOT pay, are you not liable for the debt? Adam spent our righteousness in Eden.
    No offense Wolfsbane but you seem to hold to a very bizarre and rather illogical form of Christianity.
    Yes, it's the version found in a book known as the Bible. Very peculiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

wolfsbane wrote:
    Science, in the sense you use it, is the knowledge of the material world. Our knowledge of it is open to revision. Spiritual truths may be revealed with an absolute and unquestionable certainty.

No actually they cannot. You can never know that what you believe in is actually true.

You can certainly think it is true, you can certainly believe it is true, you can certainly hope it is true, but you cannot know it is true. If you think you can you are simply deluding yourself, which naturally people do all the time.

You say that God revealed the truth to you. I have no doubt that that is what you believe. I don't know how this happened since you don't seem to want to go into details. But you actually couldn't tell yourself if that was actually God revealing the "truth" to you or some other form the mind playing ticks on you.

From your point of view it appeared to be God appearing to you, and you clearly believe that was what it was. But the point is if it wasn't actually what it was you wouldn't know the difference. You cannot know that that is what actually happened to you, you can only ever think that that is what happened to you because since it happened to you you have know way of measuring the event if it wasn't what you think it was.

You will no doubt state you do know that that is exactly what happened to you, but that is simply the delusion of convincing yourself that what you think it was/what you want it to be, actually was what it was.

Now don't get me wrong, the important point isn't if it was God or not. Just as you cannot know it actually was I cannot know it actually wasn't. It might have been for all I know. With regard to my point the important bit is not if it was or if it wasn't, the important bit is the realisation that we cannot know for sure either way and as such we must recognise the possibility that we might be wrong.

That is what science teaches, and that is what religious people often refused to accept. Which is why a religious person using science in an effort to prove their religion is nonsensical, and simply shows an ignorance of what science actually is.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Creationists work with science for all the usual practical purposes
    But they don't work with science, that is the point. They take from science what they like and reject the rest, ignoring the fact that it doesn't work like that. That is not following science.

The example I've used before is that the same principles and methods used to build TVs are also used to tell that the universe is very old. You cannot say "well we want the TVs, but the old universe bit must be wrong" .. that isn't how it works. It is a package. You either accept science and what science says or you don't.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    He gave me the certainty that this was truth, in my spirit/heart/conscience.
    Yes you have said that. The question is in what way did he give you the certainty that this was the truth.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Noah did not have perfect genes.
    But the entire human raise is descended from him. You might have an argument that Adam had perfect genes but Noah didn't. So why are we not a big pile of genetic mess?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    God confirms in their hearts that this is the truth
    Everyone thinks that their God has confirmed in their heart that their religion is the truth. Its like saying that everyone thinks their country is going to do well in the World Cup. That is just how the human mind works, how belief works. Its not real Wolfsbane. If that is the only thing you have going it is going to end in tears.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    You suppress His voice in your conscience and the witness you see around you.

No, that is just what you assume I'm doing. At the end of the day I don't know if you are right and I'm suppressing God, and you don't know if "God" is just some strange chemical imbalance in your head and everyone is just normal sans-voices
    wolfsbane wrote:
    But the atheist objections to Creationist scientists is not to their beliefs about Creation, but about their scientific arguments that support those beliefs. If someone has science to support Elvis being alive, I would welcome it being presented. But Evolutionists (mostly) do not want the Creation case presented.

Creationists have presented their case Wolfsbane. They have been presenting their case over and over and over for the last 2000 years.

And guess what? There case has been found lacking. It is rejected by modern science because about 150 years ago people started to realise that it it was nonsense. The evidence did not support Biblical Creation. The evidence didn't support Hindu Creation. The evidence didn't support Scientologist Creation.

I know you will not accept this, because you are convinced that your Bible must be correct. But as has been pointed out a few times, that is kinda your problem.

Tom Cruise is probably equally convinced as you that science must should find evidence that aliens came to Earth a million years ago and planted humans around the place. That idea is not supported by the evidence either, and as such is equally rejected by science as Biblical Creationism.

Don't take it personally. Science doesn't support Tom Cruise, or the Hindus any more or less that it supports you.

• Advertisement

Scofflaw said:
    Nevertheless, those who have heard the Word are Adam's inheritors - we still inherit his sin, we inherit the breach of the trust God first chose to put in a mortal, we are all potentially betrayers of God, flawed in the same way.
    Er, that is my point. Your position was that others beside Adam became human. Or are you saying Adam's children bred with non-humans? That the non-Israelites were sub-human?
    No. Israel represented, perhaps, the first 'nation' that together was spiritually 'evolved' enough to be treated in this way. I was not assuming that spiritual evolution only goes 'up'. Those who were outside Israel would have been, in the main, spiritually degenerate considering their descent from Noah. In fact, that is what determines their being outside Israel.
    But the Bible traces everyone from Noah. Abraham ,the father of the Jews, was just a descendant of Noah's son Shem. None of the other Shemites became Israelites.
    Actually, it is rather more the standard interpretation that suffers from the problem you mention - if it's just physical bloodlines, where is the distinction between Israel and non-Israel, given the common descent from Noah?
    There is no spiritual distinction - all were sinners. God chose to reveal Himself to Abraham and to make his ancestors the possessors of His truth and the ones from whom the Messiah would come. Abraham did not first choose God; God chose him.
    Feh. If there's one lesson we learn from history, it's that we learn nothing from history. Actually a good metaphor is better, since it's not dependent on specific circumstances.
    Are you saying an appeal to Santa would have weight???
    However, again, you are placing too much weight on our physical descent from Adam, rather than our spiritual descent. If Christ was saying that those to whom God first spoke were married in the sight of God, and this is a Godly thing to do, that I would take to have more weight than simply stating that your common ancestor did it. After all, our ancestors did all sorts of reprehensible things, and no-one is suggesting that we emulate them today.
    Yes, the appeal was to what God said about it. But if it did not really happen, God did not say anything about marriage, and so Christ's command not to divorce one's wife would be relying on a fiction to support it.

If you think it OK to base a moral imperative on a fictional command of God, then you should expect at least a fictional adherence to it. That is, if the example is a metaphor, our act can be so too: you can divorce your wife literally, so long as you stay married to her metaphorically.

wolfsbane wrote:
    God permitted adam to sin, He did not make him do so.

That isn't true. Adam could not have done what he did unless it was what God decided he would do, because at the moment of creation God knew Adam's present and future (there was no past). Adam's entire time line was decided at the moment God created Adam. If God did not want Adam to sin He would not have created the time line in which Adam did sin.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Man now is unable to choose to be holy (love and obey God). He will always choose to rebel, for that is what he wants to do. Adam was not like that.
    But Adam could never not choose to disobey God, because his time line was fixed the moment he was created. That is assuming God can see the future.

When Adam was created his future already was fixed, because God could see it. If it wasn't fixed then God would not be able to see it. From the moment he was created Adam had one destiny, to sin. He could never not do this, because that decision already existed in the future for God to view it.

Therefore everything comes back to the moment of creation, Adam's entire time line comes back to the moment of creation. In essence his time line, his future, was created when he was created. And who created him? God. God made Adam's future when he made him, because you cannot seperate out Adam's future, his time line, from that moment of creation.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    No, God commanded Adam to obey Him. That was what God wanted.
    Why did God do this when He already knew Adam would not obey him?

In fact He knew Adam would not do this before He created Adam. If God wanted Adam to obey Him he would not have created him so that he would not obey him. That makes no sense.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    We fell with Adam.
    "We" didn't fall Wolfsbane, we were pushed. God cursed us, all of us, as punishment for Adam. He decided how that curse would be. He could have turned Adam into a donkey, yet instead he decide that all humans would suffer and eventually die.

As I explained above, that makes no sense because God knew Adam would do this before He created Adam. So what was he being punished for?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Because it is who we are.
    That is a non-answer. Why is it who we are? We could have been anything, why are we the way we are. The answer of course is that we are the way we are because God made us the way we are. So in the end who's fault is it that we are the way we are?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    We may claim we are not to blame for being evil, it is just the way we are made. But God does not accept this as an excuse.
    Well he should, considering that it was He who made us like this.

Lets say Adam took the apple and God decided to punish him with 50 lashes and leave it like that. Then we would not be born sinful, we would not be born evil. Lets say Adam took the apple and God decided to kill Adam and start again with a different human who God knew would not take the apple. Then we wouldn't be born sinful, or evil.

We are only this way because this is how God decided to make us.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Being disabled is not a moral fault, therefore is without blame.

Existing isn't a moral fault either.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    We are Adam's descendants, and he was created perfect.
    Clearly he wasn't since he sinned after only a few days of existing.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    If God is who He said He is, then I have no problem accepting it.
    And if he is not?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    You mistake the ability to choose good or evil with being evil itself.
    So how is someone evil if all they ever do is choose good. And how is someone good if they choose evil.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Yes, God knew he would do so.
    And Adam could not have existed on his own, therefore God decided Adam would do this.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    You seem to know more about what God thinks and how He works than He has told the rest of us.

No offense Wolfsbane but he didn't tell you anything. A group of desert men who lived 3000 years ago decided to write down what they thought God was, what they thought God did, and what they thought God wanted. You read these books and you believe that they are true.

But because this was the ramblings of men this description has more holes and paradoxes that an episode of Cross-roads. The fundamental features of the religion contradict themselves.

Now being an atheists you might wonder why I give a damn. The ramblings of men who died a long time ago hold little attention for me beyond mild curiosity at how human culture developed.

What has sparked my attention is your theories on morality and what you believe is acceptable. We are all ultimately evil, according to you. We are ultimately wicked and will ultimately do wicked things. We are all ultimately deserving of punishment. We are ultimately deserving of any punishment that God wishes to do to us.

Now I would hope you have some kind of safety clause some where in your system of beliefs that says that in the end this is up to God and only God to decide.

The the worrying bit is that history has taught us that it is not a huge skip and a jump to go from

We are evil and deserving of any punishment that my God feels fit to inflict

to

We are evil and deserving of any punishment that my God commands me to inflict in his name

History teaches us that it is all to easy to get from one to the other. Which is why when someone like yourself starts rambling on about how we are all evil and all deserving of punishment, my ears pop up like a rabbit out on the heath.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    God is above time, but we are not. Adam was created in time, so created sinless.
    That isn't true, because Adam could never escape his destiny.

Adam could never not pick the apple because his future existed to God from the moment of his creation. Adam sinned, and Adam was always going to sin. The only person who controlled this fact was God. God decided that Adam would have the future he did.

wolfsbane wrote:
    God allowed man to sin, but did not wish them to do so.
    That isn't true. The way God created mankind we could never not sin because our future was set because of the fact that God could view it. We could never not do what God had already see us doing. And God saw us doing this because he even created us. We cannot ever escape the time line that God has already viewed. The only thing that can be altered his how God choose to create us. Our future is linked forever to the settings of that initial moment of creation, that were decided by God.

It makes no sense to say that God did not wish this, because he was the only one who decided how it would be.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    If you stop by force an alcoholic going into a pub, he can rightly say he has been denied his freewill. If you permit him to do so, you have granted him freewill. Sounds like freewill to me, even if he is a slave to his drink.

As I explained to BC, that example doesn't work because we aren't Gods, we don't exist outside of time, and we didn't create the alcoholic in the first place.

Say you are a God and you have a big machine for making a creature (I know God uses his mind but same thing). You punch in a load of setting for how you want this creature to be. You then look at the entire future of this creature and see what he will get up to. You notice that 45 years from now, this creature which you are going to call a human, crashes his car into a woman and her 5 kids because he has been drinking.

You go, eww that is horrible. I don't want that to happen. So you alter the dials on your machine just a tiny bit. You now look at the entire future of your creature and see that he lives a peaceful life, has six kids and a loving wife, and lives to a rip old age.

Now, do you press the button on the first setting, or on the second setting? And if you press the button on the first setting, and your creature ends up 45 years from now killing a load of children (which you know will and must happen), who's fault is that? You pressed the button, it was your decision to create your creature the way you did. You decided how your creature would be, and you decided the future he would have. Could you claim that it wasn't your fault, or could you get mad and angry with your creature because he did this?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Yes, it's the version found in a book known as the Bible. Very peculiar.
    As I said, it is an interpretation of the Bible that is rather modern (around the 1960s), owing probably a bit to recreational drug use, and which for most of the history of Christianity was interpreted very differently.

Schuhart said:
    This clears it up for me. You are saying God is unfair, in the sense that if he did not create you as one of the elect you are ****ed. Which removes the need to pay any attention to him whatsoever.
    Not paying attention to Him will be the grounds of your eternal punishment. Much wiser to pay attention, seek Him while He may be found and you will find He turns no one away.
    I’ve (sort of) got your idea that our free will is subject to divine consent. But, you’ll understand, this isn’t exactly a recipe for consistency – which is not to say that God has to be consistent, seeing as how you seem to be painting a picture of a cranky old Jehovah screwing with us because our discomfort amuses him. Imagine him cracking up laughing as he watches all those devout Muslims praying to him five times a day convinced that He's listening.
    Men are not the innocents you paint them to be. All who worship false gods are guilty of idolatry. All who do not worship the true God are guilty of rebellion.
    But it still, to my mind, leaves that issue of adultery in a grey area. Either God allows the act to take place at a time when a child will be conceived, or diverts it if for some reason he doesn’t want a child to be born. In the first case someone sins. In the second they don’t – all at the behest of God’s will.
    The difference is between God's permissive will and what He commands us to do. God is not guilty just because He allows us to exercise our freewill.

wolfsbane wrote:
    God is not guilty just because He allows us to exercise our freewill.

Says who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

wolfsbane wrote:
    God impressed upon me that Genesis was true, using Christ's validation of it to do so. Not the mere reading of Christ's word, but that reading backed up by the Spirit's witness in my heart.
    Impressed upon you? Witness in your heart?
    Did God tell you or did you feel something from God when you read Genesis?
    I don't want a "I felt a thousand butterflies smile on the meadow of my mind"-type answer, I want what happened in no vague terms.

Did it tell you explicitly?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    As I pointed out to Wicknight(?), my certainty comes from the spiritual reality. When I come to science or any other material thing, I don't have absolute certainty. So I know that God did not use evolution to make the present world, that it was created according to the Genesis account. Just how it works and what it has experienced in any particular place is open to debate.
    Here is the problem according to Science:
    You can't cause others to appreciate this revelation you had from God, so it is useless in an argument. We have no common basis to accept your proposals on, because we've never felt God in our lives. So even if what you're saying is the truth, we just won't get it because we haven't experienced what you've experienced yet. You need an objective argument.

If you won't give one, why argue with us?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    So no non-scientist should say they think evolution or creation is the way it happened, as they are not qualified to discuss the details? Maybe our politicians, educationalists, etc. should be told this.:rolleyes:
    I'm saying you shouldn't dismiss the technicality of science as if it's just something done for the laugh. It is a very important part of the subject. "I'm not interested in the details" is a very dismissive argument.

Another thing, would you eegits argue against evolution and not bring in this secular, atheist stuff. Either you can criticise the theory or you can not. There's no point coming here telling us how "wicked" we are, it has nothing to do with the science.

Wicknight said:
    No actually they cannot. You can never know that what you believe in is actually true.

You can certainly think it is true, you can certainly believe it is true, you can certainly hope it is true, but you cannot know it is true. If you think you can you are simply deluding yourself, which naturally people do all the time.
    OK, but that means you can never know anything. If that is your definition, I concur.

My definition belongs to the real world, the world where we live based on knowing we exist and that life is not a dream. We certainly must keep check on the reality we perceive - testing it to see if it is consistent. Our dreams may be very realistic, but they breakdown when we question the realities.

For example, I had one recently in which I couldn't find my car. It became clear to my sleeping mind that it was a dream when I asked myself where were the keys, when had I parked it, etc. My mind then told me 'this is not real' and I woke up. So with spiritual reality: does it makes sense, does it work in real life situations. The answer is a big YES.
    With regard to my point the important bit is not if it was or if it wasn't, the important bit is the realisation that we cannot know for sure either way and as such we must recognise the possibility that we might be wrong.

That is what science teaches, and that is what religious people often refused to accept. Which is why a religious person using science in an effort to prove their religion is nonsensical, and simply shows an ignorance of what science actually is.
    The truth is confirmed our hearts by the assurance God gives, and backed up by seeing it work in life. A permanent skepticism would be irrational.

But if contrary evidence kept coming up, as it does with evolution/creation science, then an open mind is required. The advantage Creationists have is that they are not ignorant of the fact of how things originated and that truth is a vantage-point for their understanding of subsequent history. Just how it all works in history is always subject to review.
    But they don't work with science, that is the point. They take from science what they like and reject the rest, ignoring the fact that it doesn't work like that. That is not following science.

The example I've used before is that the same principles and methods used to build TVs are also used to tell that the universe is very old. You cannot say "well we want the TVs, but the old universe bit must be wrong" .. that isn't how it works. It is a package. You either accept science and what science says or you don't.
    This is where you are losing the plot. Operational science - the sort that Christians and all other sorts of scientists use to invent things - does not tell us the universe is very old. All it tells us is about the rates of decay we observe today, the catastrophies that dramatically alter rates of deposition, etc. From that scientists extrapolate and deduce. Their conclusions are not the hard facts they have observed, just inferences from them.
    Yes you have said that. The question is in what way did he give you the certainty that this was the truth.
    Spirit to spirit.
    But the entire human raise is descended from him. You might have an argument that Adam had perfect genes but Noah didn't.
    That is my argument.
    So why are we not a big pile of genetic mess?
    We are far from perfect, but to be a big pile of mess would probably take more than 6000 years. Certainly 30K to 50K would bring much more trouble.
    Everyone thinks that their God has confirmed in their heart that their religion is the truth. Its like saying that everyone thinks their country is going to do well in the World Cup. That is just how the human mind works, how belief works. Its not real Wolfsbane. If that is the only thing you have going it is going to end in tears.
    It has worked fine to date. Those denying it seem to end up with the bitterest tears. That some are deluded does not mean everyone is.
    No, that is just what you assume I'm doing. At the end of the day I don't know if you are right and I'm suppressing God, and you don't know if "God" is just some strange chemical imbalance in your head and everyone is just normal sans-voices
    I'm glad you concede you may be the deluded one. :)
    Creationists have presented their case Wolfsbane. They have been presenting their case over and over and over for the last 2000 years.

And guess what? There case has been found lacking. It is rejected by modern science because about 150 years ago people started to realise that it it was nonsense.
    That is what they claim - but they don't want anyone questioning them about it.
    The evidence did not support Biblical Creation.
    Hundreds of highly qualified scientists are on record contradicting you.
    The evidence didn't support Hindu Creation. The evidence didn't support Scientologist Creation.
    I'm notr familiar with their teachings on origins, but as they have screwed up on all the rest, I take your word for it. :D
    I know you will not accept this, because you are convinced that your Bible must be correct. But as has been pointed out a few times, that is kinda your problem.
    I'm happy to be so afflicted. Truth can be a burden because of the opposition it generates, but it leads to eternal life. :)
    Don't take it personally.
    I don't. I value our discussions.
    Science doesn't support Tom Cruise, or the Hindus any more or less that it supports you.
    Aww, you beat me to it! :):):)

Wicknight said:
    Says who?
    Guess.

Here's a clue:

G_D. :)

wolfsbane wrote:
    Not paying attention to Him will be the grounds of your eternal punishment. Much wiser to pay attention, seek Him while He may be found and you will find He turns no one away.
    But you’ve already said that God just isn’t bothered about anyone who isn’t already one of the Elect, to the extent that the message might not even reach them. According to that view, people have already been turned away.

The value I recall being taught as the centre of Christianity was love. That seems entirely absent from the picture you describe. If that’s really what the message says to you, fair enough. But I really think by studying the text so closely you’ve lost the meaning.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    All who worship false gods are guilty of idolatry. All who do not worship the true God are guilty of rebellion.
    Muslims don’t hold with idol worship. As we know, the Taliban even read this as a divine edict that Buddhist statutes must be destroyed (despite, let it be said, efforts by mainstream Muslim scholars to persuade them that this was not required). So I’m puzzled how ‘idolatry’ comes into the picture in their case.

As far as they are concerned, they pray to the same God of Abraham as you do. They do it because their parents tell them that is the right God to worship, and that Islam contains the right way to pray to him. How does praying to what you describe as the true God in the way that any reasonable person you know says is the correct and respectful form constitute rebellion? Is your God really such a stickler for detail that he refuses honest worship?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    God is not guilty just because He allows us to exercise our freewill.
    In fairness, he is if sometimes he decides not to allow us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

wolfsbane wrote:
    All it tells us is about the rates of decay we observe today
    Fermi's theory (a QFT) predicts what decay rates we should observe. Fermi's Theory also says decay rates don't change except at super-high tempertures
    (T > 1,000,000,000 degrees Kelvin). It's the same theory that predicts the decay rates that says they don't change at low tempertures.
    (Unless you think Earth was at these tempertures at some point.)

So why do you accept one of Fermi's theories predictions and not the others?
    Almost no theory is purely operational or theoretical and almost all operational science has predictions I'm sure you'd disagree with.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Wicknight said:

OK, but that means you can never know anything. If that is your definition, I concur.

Yes, that is exactly what it means, at least to the highest degree of certainty.

That is a fundamental principle of science, and one of the reasons that science rejects Creationism as unscientific, because Creationists assert that they know for certain that the Bible is correct. Since they cannot possibly know that they are being unscientific. As such any results they produce are also unscientific, and most likely biased.

You either follow science or you don't.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    My definition belongs to the real world, the world where we live based on knowing we exist and that life is not a dream.

Well that is fine for day to day life, but if you used that as a principle of scientific discovery you open yourself up to the possibility of huge mistakes.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    My mind then told me 'this is not real' and I woke up. So with spiritual reality: does it makes sense, does it work in real life situations. The answer is a big YES.

That is a reason to believe something. But it is not a reason to say you know something, or to assert that it is true, that it is an axiom on which to build further assertions.

Put it this way, if this "revelation" you had from God could feel to you exactly the same as a stroke, would you be able to tell the difference, would you be able to assert that this was either a stroke or that it was a revelation from God?

You can certainly believe that what you experienced was a revelation from God. There is no problem in that, more power to you.

It is only when you assert that you know it was, and then use this assertion as a axiom on which to build further assertions.

Say for example, you have repeatable stated that God is just and God is moral. The reasoning behind this you claim is that God himself has told you (or at least revealed to you) that He is moral and that He is just.

So the question is - What if He is wrong/lying.

The only response I ever get to this is that He isn't lying because He says He isn't lying, or He has made you know that this is true some how.

This is false logic. Some would say that it is dangerous logic.

You can certainly choose to believe Him, but that is not the same thing at all. You cannot use the axiom "God does not lie" on which to build further assertions such as "God says He is moral", because the initial axiom is not sustainable.

You can claim that you believe God doesn't lie and that anything God does is moral, but you need to realise that that is a person choice based on your personal beliefs and assessments. You don't know it is true, you only think it is.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    But if contrary evidence kept coming up, as it does with evolution/creation science, then an open mind is required.

You don't think there is any contrary evidence for the existence of God? Fair enough, but I would also point out that most Creationists will go to ridiculous extremes to show that something isn't contrary to God. You are already claiming massive atheist conspiracies and disception on the part of the "atheist" scientific community.

It is all very well to state that you would look at evidence against your beliefs, but you actually have to be willing to do that Wolfsbane. You clearly aren't because I would imagine that you like most religious people have a lot personally invested in your religion being right. You believe you will have eternal life and happiness in heaven, that isn't something some would just go "oh, looks like I was wrong, oh well" I don't blame you for not wanting to consider arguments or evidence that would in any way raise the possibility that that might not actually happen.

As I mentioned above one of the biggest problems with Creationism is that it has already made its mind up, and each one of you have already invested personally in your beliefs being right. This is why Creationism exists in the first place, it is an attempt to bring just a bit more assurance that yes what we believe is true, yes we are all saved, yes we are all going to have eternal life, yes God does love us all. Creationism ironically enough is born out of uncertainty of faith, it is a movement that seeks to try and find evidence to back up a religious belief system.

Put it this way, I know of no Creationists who thinks they are going to hell in the after life.

So Creationists cannot come to the table of science in this frame of mind because they are already biased to see what they want to see, and ignore what you don't want to see.

A principle of science is that every theory must be falsafiable, in that it must be possible to show that it is wrong. That is true of gravity, it is true of evolution.

Evolution might be wrong. Most scientists don't think it is wrong, it works quite well and fits the evidence quite well, but it might be completely wrong. If it is science will eventually figure out that it is. This ultimately isn't that important. If evolution was shown to be wrong tomorrow it might trouble a lot of biologists but then they would have a new theory to work on anyway so I doubt they would be too upset. They don't have anything personally invested in evolution being right, particularly the atheists. Oh look evolution is wrong, that means I might not get to cease to exist when I die! Oh no!! What will we do!

What is far more important that the question of if a theory is correct or not is that you follow science when dealing with it. Theories come and go, theories are shown incorrect all the time. It is the principles on which you do this, the principles that Creationists don't follow, that are important.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The advantage Creationists have is that they are not ignorant of the fact of how things originated and that truth is a vantage-point for their understanding of subsequent history.

If Genesis is literal truth. If it isn't then we have a problem...

You don't know Genesis is literal truth. You certainly believe it is, which is your right to do so. But you don't know it is. You don't know that that revelation you had was actually God and not some trick of the mind. You don't know that if it was God He wasn't actually lying to you. You believe all these things, which is perfectly in your right to do, but you don't know them.

As such it is incorrect from a scientific point of view to work off the axiom of Genesis as the basis for future scientific exploration. That isn't science. That isn't how it works.

If you do decide to do that there is very little point in calling it science, or expected the scientific community to take you seriously.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Operational science - the sort that Christians and all other sorts of scientists use to invent things - does not tell us the universe is very old.
    "Operational science" as you call it is the application of theory to practical design.

If the theory behind these designs didn't work then you could not make the design itself work.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    From that scientists extrapolate and deduce. Their conclusions are not the hard facts they have observed, just inferences from them.

Exactly.

But that doesn't trouble you when you go to buy a TV. You don't say "Hold on a minute, the theory that was applied to makes this TV work can also be applied to tell me the universe is billions of light years across! Take this TV back it is an affront to God"

Your TV works in a predictable fashion because there is a theory behind the design that allows those to predict what will happen and design around this. That is the same with all areas of science, from astronomy to geology. The more a theory appears to predict correctly the more strength that theory gains in the scientific community.

But Creationists reject these theories, even the very strong ones, if they predict something that appears to go against their religious teaching. As I keep saying, it doesn't work like that.

You can't go "well I don't mind saying that the theory of light is strong and predictable when applied to getting my TV to work, but I totally reject it when applied to the distance between galaxies". The only reason you are doing that is because of religious grounds.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    We are far from perfect, but to be a big pile of mess would probably take more than 6000 years.

What are you basing that on?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    It has worked fine to date.
    It doesn't work fine. Every 4 years the vast majority of countries feel angry and annoyed that they didn't win the world cup when this year they thought they really were going to do it. Sure just look at England.

The other point is that it is meaningless. You cannot say "I know we are going to win the world cup, lets bet the house on it" because you don't know you are going to win the world cup.

The same applies to religion.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I'm glad you concede you may be the deluded one. :)

I happily concede that. The point is I won't know either way, and neither will you. If you aren't open to the possibility that you could be wrong then you have no place doing science. Which is why Creationism is not welcome as part of science.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    That is what they claim - but they don't want anyone questioning them about it.

I don't know what you mean by this. Evolution has been questioned for the last 150 years. At the start no one accepted it.

Evolution had to earn its place among modern scientific theories, which it eventually did.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Hundreds of highly qualified scientists are on record contradicting you.
    And millions don't. So you know, the question is why do you believe the hundreds instead of the millions?

Actually I know why, you do this because you want/need some form of confirmation from science that your religious beliefs are valid. But at the end of the day that is your problem. It is not sciences responsibility to make you feel better about your religion. That is not a valid reason to turn away from the principles of science.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I'm notr familiar with their teachings on origins, but as they have screwed up on all the rest, I take your word for it. :D

Well there you go. I'm sure a Scientologist thinks what you believe is complete bonkers
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I'm happy to be so afflicted.
    I'm sure you are, and if you are happy like this I am happy for you.

But you cannot expect that people will just assume that you actually know what you are talking about, that people will just assume that what you claim is true actually is true. But you don't know it is, and you might be wrong.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Truth can be a burden because of the opposition it generates, but it leads to eternal life.

Well there you go. As I said you want very strongly for what you believe to be true because you want what is part of that, namely eternal life and happiness in heaven (I assume you want this).

As I said I never met a Creationists who thinks he is going to hell.

What I would hope that you take from this discussion is that while it is perfectly find to want this, that it is perfectly fine to believe you will get this, you should realise that you don't know this. That is why beliefs like that cannot be used in science as the basis for conclusions. It is what you want to be true, it is what you believe to be true. Nothing less but certainly nothing more.

One of the advantages of atheism is that we aren't promised anything, by anyone, and as such have no need to believe something or disbelieve something else in order to get something.

• Advertisement

wolfsbane wrote:
    Wicknight said:

Guess.

Here's a clue:

G_D. :)

So God says that He isn't guilty ... well He would wouldn't He .. it reminds me of the Shawshank Redemption, where if you ask anyone in the prision they will tell you that they are "innocent" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    No. Adam's nature was perfect and good when God made him. Adam sinned, and his nature fell. So if you mean God made Adam sin, you are mistaken.

I would not claim so, since this would remove Adam's free will. However, God (a) created Adam with a nature that could sin, and (b) created him in the foreknowledge that he would sin. In addition, God, being omnipresent, would have been present.

If I created a robot that could kill, in the foreknowledge that it would kill, and was present during the killing, I have little doubt how I would be judged. You will not judge your God thus, but I will, and have - and, of course, we each think the other foolish for their choice...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    So Christians exist in China, therefore they are not suppressed there? Communists existed under McCarthy, so they were not suppressed then?

The repressions you mention are/were overt and committed by the State (although not involving the full apparatus of the state in the latter case), whereas you are talking about a covert conspiracy. In addition, you will find that there are no declared Christians in positions of eminence in China, nor were there declared Communists in high office under McCarthy.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The establishment are mainly atheists, and those who are not are in bed with them.

I doubt you can prove that claim, although I suspect that doesn't trouble you? Also, this requires 'the establishment' to be the same, and atheist, in every country - are you saying that the 'establishment' in Iran is atheist? Israel? Ireland? The US? The Vatican?

Are you in fact generalising widely from your personal experience of specific parts of the Anglo-Saxon world?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Ignorance, indifference and fear of crossing the establishment are all at work.

That doesn't negate the point. Your conspiracy requires an establishment that is supra-national.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I'm not sure how the geology differs, so I can't comment.

It is not necessary for you to know anything about geology. If, as Creationists claim, geology 'supports' the Creationist position, then there must be a difference between 'Creationist geology' and 'evolutionist geology'. If there were no difference, then the geological record could not support either position.

Since this is the case, the findings of those companies most intimately affected by geology, mining and oil companies, would be different if they followed Creationist geology.

If Creationist geology were correct, and evolutionist geology incorrect, the oil or mining company that followed Creationist geology would have a huge advantage over others. None does - do you acclaim them part of the conspiracy?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The bigger motivation is not to be crucified as a heretic.

To be crucified* as a heretic** in science, what you need to do is bad science.

* where 'crucified' means 'give the cold shoulder at conferences'
    ** where 'heretic' means 'someone you'd cold-shoulder at conferences'
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Just because one is paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you! :D

Occasionally. However, it usually means that you should take your medication, because they're not actually out to get you.

Again, you are applying the principle of "everyone says they're wrong, so they must be right", or "the minority opinion is the best" - possibly even "I'm mad, so I must be speaking the truth".
    wolfsbane wrote:
    No, delusion or ignorance would be lesser faults that apply to many scientists.

I'll put that done to delusion, not to a lack of veracity or malevolence. :)

To be honest, that would be equally offensive. The offense is mitigated, of course, by my conviction that you, in turn, are many sandwiches short of a picnic!

cordially,
    as ever,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    Er, that is my point. Your position was that others beside Adam became human. Or are you saying Adam's children bred with non-humans? That the non-Israelites were sub-human?

Spiritually, yes, if full humanity consists in being able to commune with God. Physically, they would have been fully human, of course.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    But the Bible traces everyone from Noah. Abraham ,the father of the Jews, was just a descendant of Noah's son Shem. None of the other Shemites became Israelites.

Er, yes. You are still having difficulty shifting mental gears away from the purely physical descent.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    There is no spiritual distinction - all were sinners. God chose to reveal Himself to Abraham and to make his ancestors the possessors of His truth and the ones from whom the Messiah would come. Abraham did not first choose God; God chose him.

Er, yes. So? Obviously it's God making the running - Man cannot force God to speak to Him - and the very attempt would indicate a low level of spiritual development.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Are you saying an appeal to Santa would have weight???

Er, yes. Who do parents appeal to? Santa, or the shining example of the kids' great-grandfather, who was an exemplary child...

...if you don't have children, don't even try to answer that form theoretical considerations!
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Yes, the appeal was to what God said about it. But if it did not really happen, God did not say anything about marriage, and so Christ's command not to divorce one's wife would be relying on a fiction to support it.

If you think it OK to base a moral imperative on a fictional command of God, then you should expect at least a fictional adherence to it. That is, if the example is a metaphor, our act can be so too: you can divorce your wife literally, so long as you stay married to her metaphorically.

What? God said the same thing, whether He chose metaphor or history.

You're extremely committed to physical, literal, and concrete ideas. Does metaphor simply equate to fiction and lies for you?

interested,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Son Goku
    why the shadow effect wasn't observed would be a decent question against the Big Bang model of Cosmology

It isn’t just a ‘decent question’ – the 'shadow effect' COMPLETELY INVALIDATES the Big Bang Model!!!!:D

Originall posted by J C
    OK, so this image of everything starting as a ‘singularity’ and exploding outwards in a Big Bang is an 'invalidity' .....

Son Goku
    It's an image that has seeped into the popular mind. The Big Bang is a theory of Cosmic evolution picking up after electroweak Baryogenesis and evolving on a Friedmann-Walker metric(or related solutions).

….and HOW, may I ask did this all-encompassing image ‘seep into’ the popular mind?

…..and do Evolutionary Cosmologists have any plans to ‘set the record straight’ – and tell people that the Big Bang NEVER was regarded as the ‘spark’ that gave rise to the Universe – and it has now been INVALIDATED by the latest evidence!!!!:confused:

Son Goku
    However may I take ask a different question? Let's ignore science that conflicts with the Bible. How are Creationist Scientists doing at tackling big questions in science outside showing evolution is wrong and creation is right.

For instance what's the Creationist progress on Quantum Gravity?

Making progress, but no solution in sight yet – as the Creationists work on the problem alongside their Evolutionist colleagues.

Most Creation Scientists work in conventional science jobs, alongside scientists of all religious faiths and none.

Son Goku
    iron nodules always give weird ages, and radiocarbon dating gives entirely erroneous dates outside its 50,000 year maximum

What you mean is that when radiocarbon ‘dates’ are measured which don’t 'fit in' with the Evolutionary story – they are regarded as 'erroneous'.
    For example, wood aged as a few thousand years old is often discovered within and below rocks that are supposed to be millions of years old – and this is ‘explained’ by Evolutionists as radiocarbon giving “ entirely erroneous dates outside its 50,000 year maximum” – when the obvious explanation is that BOTH the rocks and the wood are very recent indeed!!!!:D

Scofflaw
    radiometric dating is not particularly reliable for younger rocks...

……and WHY may I ask, should we believe radiometric dating to be accurate for supposedly ‘older’ rocks when it produces figures of millions of years for 'young' rocks known to have been formed in the 1950’s????

Scofflaw
    'Bulk rock ages' can be very variable

……..i.e useless!!!!!

Originally Posted by J C
    In a study by Dr Steve Austin of the Institute for Creation Research, Basalt rocks from the Uinkaret Plateau of The Grand Canyon (which most Evolutionist Geologists accept as only thousands of years old) had the following DIFFERENT ages ‘established’ by radiometric dating :-

Six Potassium-Argon ages from 10,000 to 117 Million years.
    Five Rubidium-Strontium ages from 1.270 Million to 1,390 Million years.
    One Rubidium Strontium isochron 1,340 Million years.
    One Lead-Lead isochron 2,600 Million years.

Scofflaw
    They are scatter points from various graphs, whose originals were rapidly withdrawn from publication, and re-released with only the outlying data points showing.

...and WHY were the originals “rapidly withdrawn from publication, and re-released with only the outlying data points showing” ???!!!!

With radiometric ages ranging from 10,000 to 2.6 Billion years for the SAME rocks – they are an obvious contradiction of the accuracy of radiometric dating – and point to a very young Grand Canyon indeed!!!

Scofflaw
    In addition, that geologists reckon the Grand Canyon (the big hole) as a few thousand years old is true,.

OK so you accept that the Grand Canyon is only a few thousand years old, so we’re making some progress after all!!!:)

Scofflaw
    but that is not a comment on the age of the rocks through which the Grand Canyone feature has been cut

……but then you go and spoil it all by going into denial, and arguing that the “rocks through which the Grand Canyon feature has been cut” may be vastly older than the canyon itself!!!

Firstly, a radiometric age of 10,000 years HAS been established for the oldest rocks in the Grand Canyon .
    Secondly, IF the Canyon is only a few thousand years old it could only be cut by massive volumes of water acting over a short period of time on the sediment layers while they were still 'soft' i.e. before they ‘set’ by petrification – and therefore the rocks are roughly the same age as the Canyon i.e. only a few thousand years old !!!!:D

Scofflaw
    You're aware that continental movement has been directly measured repeatedly over the last couple of decades? No, probably not.

Small movements in land masses along fault lines have been recorded since history began – so measuring some ‘movement’ between the continental landmasses isn’t any surprise.
    However, arguing that these SMALL movements shunted the landmasses of the Earth half way around the Globe is based upon an unfounded belief in ‘billions of years’.

Scofflaw
    Upright trees can be found buried in layered sediment, which was all laid down during the course of a catastrophic event. However, these "catastrophic events" are things like river floods

………or a worldwide Flood Catastrophe perhaps?????:eek: :D

Scofflaw
    and no-one but Creationists claim that geologists date the top and bottom of these sediments as millions of years apart.

It is actually the Evolutionists counting their ‘varves’ who claim that the rocks on the top are millions of years older that the rocks on the bottom – the Creationists obviously claim that they were all laid down in the same catastrophic event – and now the Evolutionists seem to be agreeing with them.

Wonders will never cease.:D

Scofflaw
    It's almost impossible to date sedimentary rocks, because they're made up of lots of badly altered material from all kinds of places. The likelihood of finding a mineral well-preserved enough to date is minimal - and even if you find it, it doesn't tell you the date the sediment was laid down. Like dating a bric-a-brac stall by dating the old things it sells.

OK, so why do Evolutionists then jump to the conclusion that the (sedimentary) rock in which Dinosaur bones are found are 200 million years old – if “it's almost impossible to date sedimentary rocks” and there is soft tissue, including DNA frasgments still preserved in the Dinosaur carcass?!!!!

The recent discovery of a fully articulated Dinosaur limb, proves that this artefact could have been preserved for thousands of years (but not millions of years, as Evolutionists claim).
    You may read all about this discovery at :- http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2005/0325Dino_tissue.asp

Scofflaw
    By the way, to hold all the organisms we have fossils for, if try to fit them into the years before the Flood, requires us to stack them about half a mile deep, all standing or growing on each other...

Fossils are only found in a tiny percentage of sedimentary rocks – and so there was plenty of place on Earth for all of them, when they were alive - and so your ‘mile high’ notions are invalid!!!!

Scofflaw
    I can't quite remember whether this (half mile deep) feature is mentioned in Genesis.

God did command all creatures to be fruitful and multiply – and they did so, both before and after the Flood – but they never reproduced to the point where they were stacked a half mile deep!!!:D

Wicknight
    And you can't do that because you have already stated a number of times that such methods are based on "wild assumptions" that have no basis and which probably aren't true because they conflict with Genesis, such as the universe being billions of years old and billions of light years across.

The assumptions AND the Big Bang Theory are now being invalidated in the light of the latest observations.

The Universe may be infinite – but it isn’t billions of years old!!!

Wicknight
    If this article is correct the universe is very big and very old, and Genesis is wrong. If this article is incorrect the universe is very big and very old, and Genesis is wrong.

If the article is true, the Universe isn’t very old and it is even BIGGER than previously thought – and Genesis is correct!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Wicknight
    Bad traits and useless traits will eventually be lost in the species because they either have 0 fitness advantage, or a negative fitness advantage. Only those mutations that increase fitness make any kind of significant impact on the species.

……but ‘bad traits’ aren’t observed to be lost, they actually build up over time and they also survive in a heterozygous state.:D

You see, NS can only select on the basis of each ‘package’ of good and bad that each individual is. A predominantly bad mistake mechanism is likely to result in an increasing ‘load’ of bad problems sprinkled across a population and as two individuals with a different non-lethal ‘bad’ trait mate the offspring are likely to have BOTH bad traits thereby building up ‘bad’ traits in the population, rather than eliminating them.
    It would be a ‘World of the Damned’ with the ‘bar’ for survival being lowered in each succeeding generation. The reason that such a ‘runaway’ situation doesn’t develop currently, is because sophisticated auto-repair mechanisms eliminate mistakes – but such systems show foreknowledge of what the ‘correct’ trait is – akin to computer auto recovery and rebooting systems – and this strongly indicates the intelligent design of living systems/

Because mutations are PREDOMINANTLY bad, such a mechanism is logically going to produce a ‘race to the bottom’ towards simpler systems (with less to go wrong) rather than an ‘upwards’ evolution of increasing complexity and levels of organisation – which ‘muck to man’ or ‘big picture’ evolution postulates.

In a world of predominantly bad mistakes, the organism that makes no/fewest mistakes and/or with the simplest systems will be the ultimate survivor.

Any ‘mistake mechanism’ would therefore selected AGAINST by Natural Selection and, in any event it shows no potential to account for the development of the Complex Specified Information observed in life.

Wicknight
    The bad or useless ones don't spread to the rest of the species JC. The useless ones are contained in the descents and if the descents don't have any great advantage over the others in the species then they won't overtake anyone. Those descents with bad traits die off very quickly, and as such they don't even exist for that much of a time.

……but the point is that the predominantly deleterious mutations observed would begin to afflict more and more individuals until all were affected.
    All individuals would end up with DIFFERENT ‘bad’ traits under the operation of a predominantly ‘bad’ mistakes mechanism – and so any survival selection would then be based on ELIMINATING the creatures with the worst combination of ‘bad’ traits – and sexual selection could frustrate even this modest achievement.

You might end up with the ‘best of a bad lot’ with a number of surviving monstrosities that weren’t just quite as ‘bad’ as the ones that died – but such a mechanism cannot account for the extremely high levels of perfection and specified complexity observed in living organisms.:D

Wicknight
    This is an analogy of how natural selection can select traits caused by mutation based on the environment. If some members of a species develop slightly thicker out fur due to mutation, they are selected over the others without this mutation by natural selection using the environment as direction on who to select and who not to select.

But ‘thicker fur’ is part of the pre-existing genetic diversity of the organism's genome – and it is not a result of a damaging mutation!!!!!:D

Wicknight
    The selection process of me dying because my skull is not strong enough to survive a tree falling on my head is directed by the environment too, but that is a terrible example because falling trees aren't exactly a environment hazard that most humans face a lot and my friend would not have survived a tree falling on his head either. So as an example of natural selection it is largely pointless.

…..but I never cited it as an example of NS – merely an example of the many ways that people can die from environmental hazards that NS cannot address – because they are haphazard events and NS as a PASSIVE selection mechanism, it is POWERLESS to address them.

………and this is another reason why NS cannot generate a Man from muck!!!!!

Wicknight
    Look at dogs. Dogs today don't look anything like dogs 4000 years ago. Their species has undergone massive change observed by human history, and yet they are still alive.

Firstly, they are still Dogs – and not some other species across the ‘Kind Barrier’.

Secondly, the dramatic changes in Dogs are primarily the result of ARTIFICIAL selection – i.e. the appliance of intelligently DIRECTED selection by Humans.

On the other hand, the Wolf remains roughly the same as it was 1,000 years ago under UNDIRECTED Natural Selection!!!:D

There is an obvious message there about the importance of intelligence to the effective direction of any seletion process !!!

Wicknight
    If it is Gods design or evolution they still change in the same way and don't die. So your idea that even a minor change to the genetic blueprint of a species will result in death of the offspring is nonsense

It DOES very much matter whether the design was by an omniscient intelligent God or random natural processes.

Intelligently designed systems are capable of allowing dramatic changes to occur in a planned sequential manner - like a detailed complex computer programme - or a Butterfly moving from a Crawling Caterpillar to a Chrysalis to a Flying Adult!!!

Trying to make such changes using random undirected processes would result in disaster!!!

A ‘random minor change’ in the genetic blueprint of a species would result in the death of the offspring – just like a ‘random minor change’ in the code of a computer programme would also make it functionally useless!!!:D

Wicknight
    "Fitness" referrs to the fitness of a organism to its environment with regard to if it is or is not selected by natural selection.

It has nothing to do with "physical fitness"

"Fitness" as you describe it is a very handy ‘weasel phrase’ that is ultimately useless – as it tells us NOTHING about what ‘fitness’ actually is.....
    ...........except that it has nothing to do with “physical fitness” – so presumably, then the Evolutionist believes that “physical un-fitness” is what is selected by NS!!!:confused::D

Son Goku
    Actually, this is a fairly easy test of if JC has been actually recieved training in physics.
    What is a singularity in physics JC? I suspect you won't give the correct answer,

A singularity is a point at which a function takes an infinite value.
    The hypothesised point of infinite density at the centre of a Black Hole, for example, is a singularity.

The term is also used when Physicists haven’t a clue about how something arose – such as for example, the Universe just before the (now invalidated) Big Bang!!!!

Schuhart
    …..unfortunately after all that I’m still not clear on how the concept of God as ‘maker’ is inconsistent with evolution,

God is described as MAKER and CREATOR in both Creeds – and these words support a one week literal Genesis Creation – but they are inconsistent with a ‘millions of years’ Evolutionist interpretation!!!

Schuhart
    you and me were made by God through a process that he does not control – our parents copulating of their own free will and not a fiat act of divine will. So, in principle, could God not have used similarly indirect methods such as evolution to create everything else that is seeing as how we have clearly established that ‘maker’ in this context does not imply a direct act of creation. Or am I missing something

The word ‘Maker’ in the Nicene Creed clearly refers to the original Creation by God during Creation Week.

There is no hint in either Creed that the Articles of Faith so expressed, include a belief in the Gradual Evolution of life from primordial chemicals.

Originally Posted by J C
    God has devolved the power of Human sexual reproduction to Humans – and we do have full autonomy to decide to use this power - to produce the bodies and souls of children.

Schuhart
    I think this is the key point of significance. What you are saying is that God is not the maker of all things in an individual sense.

Yes, but God does work all things for His own purposes and He takes an active interest in each Human – indeed the Bible confirms that He knows the number of hairs on our heads.

Schuhart
    …….. it does away with any direct divine involvement in our creation. So you, and I, are here by cosmic accident. That's fine by me, its a core value in my outlook. But many theists seem unsatisified with this outlook, preferring the idea that they are individuals put here by a God who has a personal relationship with them.

Our conception is via a superficially random process of sexual reproduction – but overseen by God’s omnipotent sovereignty.

Equally God desires to have a personal relationship with individual Humans and He does so in one of the most intimate ways possible – by indwelling each Christian via the Holy Spirit.

Schuhart
    I just wonder if you are breaking new theological ground here for the creationist perspective

Maybe.

It wouldn’t be the first time that some new theological ground was broken on this thread - and I suspect that it won’t be the last!!!!:D

Wicknight
    But that doesn't trouble you when you go to buy a TV. You don't say "Hold on a minute, the theory that was applied to makes this TV work can also be applied to tell me the universe is billions of light years across! Take this TV back it is an affront to God"

Atheists equally don’t usually have a ‘Pauline Conversion’ when they see the predictable ordered Laws of Physics in action in their TV set – despite the obvious follow-on conclusion that an omniscient ordered intelligence must have produced these Laws!!!!:D

Rather than being an ‘affront to God’ – I have found that my TV set exhibits many dimensions that prove God’s existence!!!!!!:D

Equally, TV broadcasts provide tangible proof that information in TV images can exist in invisible media all around us - and TV therefore supports the idea that other invisible dimensions and powers could exist - like the spiritual realm!!!!:D

Wicknight
    Your TV works in a predictable fashion because there is a theory behind the design that allows those to predict what will happen and design around this. That is the same with all areas of science, from astronomy to geology. The more a theory appears to predict correctly the more strength that theory gains in the scientific community.

My TV set works in a predictable fashion because predictable Laws exist in Physics – and my TV is made from quality components by intelligent Electronic Engineers.

Actually, my TV set is PROOF of the intelligent design – of both the TV itself, and it’s designers!!!!:eek:

Oh great, JC is back with more nonsense ....
    J C wrote:
    ……but ‘bad traits’ aren’t observed to be lost, they actually build up over time and they also survive in a heterozygous state.:D

Such as?
    J C wrote:
    You see, NS can only select on the basis of each ‘package’ of good and bad that each individual is. A predominantly bad mistake mechanism is likely to result in an increasing ‘load’ of bad problems sprinkled across a population

How? Please explain in detail how you think this would happen, because a 10 year olds biology book will explain to you in very simple English how exactly this doesn't happen with natural selection. I am at my wits end trying to make this any more simple for you JC. I am dying to figure out what you actually think happens in natural selection.

If a mutation happens only in one of the organisms, and due to lack of fitness him or any offspring he actually manages to produce have short not very successful lives, how does this "bad" mutation spread across the population?
    J C wrote:
    and as two individuals with a different non-lethal ‘bad’ trait mate the offspring are likely to have BOTH bad traits thereby building up ‘bad’ traits in the population, rather than eliminating them.
    But this will only last a few generations at the most. The organisms fight for mates, they fight for the chance to reproduce. A organism with a lower fitness will be much less successful at find mates and reproducing, if they actually manage to last that long in the first place.
    J C wrote:
    Because mutations are PREDOMINANTLY bad

The the last time that is a lie. Please stop lying. The vast vast majority of mutations do very little good or bad.
    J C wrote:
    ……but the point is that the predominantly deleterious mutations observed would begin to afflict more and more individuals until all were affected.
    How JC? How would a mutation in organism that significantly lowers that organisms fitness to survived or mate, spread to the rest of the population of the species?

I'm willing to bet you have no idea because you are talking out your arse. You don't understand what natural selection is or what it says, at this point you are just trolling.

If I said the sky was blue you would say it was green :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    But ‘thicker fur’ is part of the pre-existing genetic diversity of the organism's genome – and it is not a result of a damaging mutation

There is no such thing as "pre-existing genetic diversity" .. you just made that up.

It is like saying all the books that will ever be written already exist in some pre-existing english diversity, they just have to be written down. Nonsense, utter nonsense.

Mutations alter the blue prints of the organism, the design of how they are put together. That alteration can be good, it can be bad.
    J C wrote:
    …..but I never cited it as an example of NS
    I did.
    J C wrote:
    – merely an example of the many ways that people can die from environmental hazards that NS cannot address
    What??? NS doesn't address anything. What in Gods name are you talking about.

What do you think Natural Selection is??? This is so bizzare, you seem to have absolutely no idea what natural selection is.
    J C wrote:
    Firstly, they are still Dogs – and not some other species across the ‘Kind Barrier’.

So?

J C wrote:
    Secondly, the dramatic changes in Dogs are primarily the result of ARTIFICIAL selection – i.e. the appliance of intelligently DIRECTED selection by Humans.

So?

Both those points do not change the fact that it shows you were wrong when you said that any alteration with genetic code will result in death. It won't, you were wrong. In fact this has been explained to you before, and based on your reply you clearly knew that you were lying. I would please asking to stop lying.
    J C wrote:
    It DOES very much matter whether the design was by an omniscient intelligent God or random natural processes.

So you admit that your original point that any change will result in death was nonsense. Also dogs have been breed by mankind. Are we ominscient intelligence JC?

Nonsense, utter nonsense.
    J C wrote:
    A ‘random minor change’ in the genetic blueprint of a species would result in the death of the offspring

Except that that is a lie, because dogs have had minor changes in their genetic blueprints for hundreds of years and they haven't died.

STOP LYING.
    J C wrote:
    "Fitness" as you describe it is a very handy ‘weasel phrase’ that is ultimately useless – as it tells us NOTHING about what ‘fitness’ actually is.....

Fitness with relation to science and biology is defined perfectly well JC, don't be an idiot on purpose

Fitness
    n.
    1 - The state or condition of being fit; suitability or appropriateness.
    2 - Good health or physical condition, especially as the result of exercise and proper nutrition.
    3 - Biology. The extent to which an organism is adapted to or able to produce offspring in a particular environment.

Notice the 1st and the 3rd one (that is the one with "biology" written beside it) ....

Did you honestly think we were talking about "good health". What did you think all these species go to the gym on a Friday and make sure they have 5 portions of fruit and veg???

Exactly what area of science are you trained in JC :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    ...........except that it has nothing to do with “physical fitness” – so presumably, then the Evolutionist believes that “physical un-fitness” is what is selected by NS!!!:confused::D

Read the definition.

If you still don't understand it I will see if I can dig up my Oxford Dictionary for 10 Year Olds and give you that definition :rolleyes:

J C wrote:
    Son Goku
    However may I take ask a different question? Let's ignore science that conflicts with the Bible. How are Creationist Scientists doing at tackling big questions in science outside showing evolution is wrong and creation is right.

For instance what's the Creationist progress on Quantum Gravity?

Making progress, but no solution in sight yet – as the Creationists work on the problem alongside their Evolutionist colleagues.

Most Creation Scientists work in conventional science jobs, alongside scientists of all religious faiths and none.

Which is to say that they are not doing "Creation Science", but rather mainstream science.
    J C wrote:
    Son Goku
    iron nodules always give weird ages, and radiocarbon dating gives entirely erroneous dates outside its 50,000 year maximum

What you mean is that when radiocarbon ‘dates’ are measured which don’t 'fit in' with the Evolutionary story – they are regarded as 'erroneous'.
    For example, wood aged as a few thousand years old is often discovered within and below rocks that are supposed to be millions of years old – and this is ‘explained’ by Evolutionists as radiocarbon giving “ entirely erroneous dates outside its 50,000 year maximum” – when the obvious explanation is that BOTH the rocks and the wood are very recent indeed!!!!:D

Actually, in this case the proven explanation is fraud.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    radiometric dating is not particularly reliable for younger rocks...

……and WHY may I ask, should we believe radiometric dating to be accurate for supposedly ‘older’ rocks when it produces figures of millions of years for 'young' rocks known to have been formed in the 1950’s????

Because we know how that happens, and it's not applicable.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    'Bulk rock ages' can be very variable

……..i.e useless!!!!!

Yup. That's why they're not used for dating, unless the system is known to have been closed throughout its history.
    J C wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    In a study by Dr Steve Austin of the Institute for Creation Research, Basalt rocks from the Uinkaret Plateau of The Grand Canyon (which most Evolutionist Geologists accept as only thousands of years old) had the following DIFFERENT ages ‘established’ by radiometric dating :-

Six Potassium-Argon ages from 10,000 to 117 Million years.
    Five Rubidium-Strontium ages from 1.270 Million to 1,390 Million years.
    One Rubidium Strontium isochron 1,340 Million years.
    One Lead-Lead isochron 2,600 Million years.

Scofflaw
    They are scatter points from various graphs, whose originals were rapidly withdrawn from publication, and re-released with only the outlying data points showing.

...and WHY were the originals “rapidly withdrawn from publication, and re-released with only the outlying data points showing” ???!!!!

With radiometric ages ranging from 10,000 to 2.6 Billion years for the SAME rocks – they are an obvious contradiction of the accuracy of radiometric dating – and point to a very young Grand Canyon indeed!!!

They were Austin's graphs. The scatter points are discarded in dating, but they were the only points Austin kept, because they appeared to support his contention that the same rocks gave multiple ages. They don't - they give a mean age, which is what is used in dating.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    In addition, that geologists reckon the Grand Canyon (the big hole) as a few thousand years old is true,.

OK so you accept that the Grand Canyon is only a few thousand years old, so we’re making some progress after all!!!:)

It's a geomorphological feature. The drumlins in Cavan and Monaghan are only 10,000 years old. Did you, perchance, think that geologists thought of all landscape features as millions of years old?
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    but that is not a comment on the age of the rocks through which the Grand Canyone feature has been cut

……but then you go and spoil it all by going into denial, and arguing that the “rocks through which the Grand Canyon feature has been cut” may be older than the canyon itself!!!

That is a very funny comment. It opens up previously unglimpsed vistas of stupidity. Are you sure you weren't at UCD in the late 80's?
    J C wrote:
    Firstly, a radiometric age of 10,000 years HAS been established for the oldest rocks in the Grand Canyon .
    Secondly, IF the Canyon is only a few thousand years old it could only be cut through the rock layers before they ‘set’ in such a short time – and therefore the rocks are roughly the same age as the Canyon i.e. a few thousand years old also!!!!

...because rivers cannot cut through solid rock, eh?
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    You're aware that continental movement has been directly measured repeatedly over the last couple of decades? No, probably not.

Small movements in land masses along fault lines have been recorded since history began – so measuring some ‘movement’ between the continental landmasses isn’t any surprise.
    However, arguing that these SMALL movements shunted the landmasses of the Earth half way around the Globe is based upon an unfounded belief in ‘billions of years’.

Er, no. The continents themselves have had their motion measured, by laser and satellite. Come on out of the 19th century.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    Upright trees can be found buried in layered sediment, which was all laid down during the course of a catastrophic event. However, these "catastrophic events" are things like river floods

………or a worldwide Flood Catastrophe perhaps?????:eek: :D

Well, no, on account of there being no evidence for such a silly idea.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    and no-one but Creationists claim that geologists date the top and bottom of these sediments as millions of years apart.

It is actually the Evolutionists counting their ‘varves’ who claim that the rocks on the top are millions of years older that the rocks on the bottom – the Creationists obviously claim that they were all laid down in the same catastrophic event – and now the Evolutionists seem to be agreeing with them.

Ah - true. I meant not by radiometric dating. Varves are a dating mechanism in themselves, in that they can be established as seasonal. Depending on the sediment in question, there may be one or more varves per year.

Er, no, I'm not agreeing with you, because I actually know what I'm talking about.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    It's almost impossible to date sedimentary rocks, because they're made up of lots of badly altered material from all kinds of places. The likelihood of finding a mineral well-preserved enough to date is minimal - and even if you find it, it doesn't tell you the date the sediment was laid down. Like dating a bric-a-brac stall by dating the old things it sells.

OK, so why do Evolutionists then jump to the conclusion that the (sedimentary) rock in which Dinosaur bones are found are 200 million years old – if “it's almost impossible to date sedimentary rocks” and there is soft tissue, including DNA frasgments still preserved in the Dinosaur carcass?!!!!

If we are unlucky enough to find a new fossil species in an area with unknwon geology, no known fossils, uniformly sedimentary with no nearby igneous rocks, it is very difficult. Otherwise, it can be established through a reasonably simply set of techniques. Have a look at this kid's page on the subject, which may assist you. If you have questions, feel free to ask.
    J C wrote:
    The recent discovery of a fully articulated Dinosaur limb, proves that this artefact could have been preserved for thousands of years (but not millions of years, as Evolutionists claim).
    You may read all about this discovery at :- http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2005/0325Dino_tissue.asp

Or, if you were interested in reading something which isn't full of lies and distortions, you could read the Smithsonian article instead. The choice is always open.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    By the way, to hold all the organisms we have fossils for, if try to fit them into the years before the Flood, requires us to stack them about half a mile deep, all standing or growing on each other...

Fossils are only found in a tiny percentage of sedimentary rocks – and so there was plenty of place on Earth for all of them, when they were alive - and so your ‘mile high’ notions are invalid!!!!

You are, I'm afraid, only thinking of dinosaur fossils, and maybe another couple of large animals. These are rare, but smaller animals are not. There are marine beds made entirely out of shells, many metres thick. Heck, there are coprolites - rocks made almost entirely out of feces.

We've been over all these before, JC. All of these claims of yours are lies. In many cases they are quite straightforward frauds, in other cases they are distortions of the truth. You have yet to demonstrate anything other than the deepest ignorance in both geology and biology, despite your repeated claims to be a scientist and to have studied widely.

Your belief that rivers must be cut before the rocks have 'set' shows an almost complete incomprehension of the entire field of geology. It's impressive, but it hardly encourages me to rely on your 'opinion as a scientist'.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    Bad traits and useless traits will eventually be lost in the species because they either have 0 fitness advantage, or a negative fitness advantage. Only those mutations that increase fitness make any kind of significant impact on the species.

They can survive in a heterozygous state as long as they do not reduce fitness (hemophilia), or offer an advantage (sickle-cell anaemia). Mutations that are deleterious in the heterozygous state are eventually eliminated.
    JC wrote:
    Because mutations are PREDOMINANTLY bad

A note to readers. This claim is false. The majority of mutations are neutral and/or trivial, although bad mutations do outnumber the good.
    JC wrote:
    Any ‘mistake mechanism’ would therefore selected AGAINST by Natural Selection and, in any event it shows no potential to account for the development of the Complex Specified Information observed in life.

This is a house of cards built on top of the falsehood above. It's worth noting also that JC has never offered a definition of 'Complex Specified Information'*, and appears to be incapable of doing so.

*apart from saying, in various ways, that it is information that is specified, and complex.
    JC wrote:
    Wicknight
    The bad or useless ones don't spread to the rest of the species JC. The useless ones are contained in the descents and if the descents don't have any great advantage over the others in the species then they won't overtake anyone. Those descents with bad traits die off very quickly, and as such they don't even exist for that much of a time.

All individuals would end up with DIFFERENT ‘bad’ traits under the operation of a predominantly ‘bad’ mistakes mechanism – and so any survival selection would then be based on ELIMINATING the creatures with the worst combination of ‘bad’ traits – and sexual selection could frustrate even this modest achievement.

This contains the interesting 'logic' that mutations first spread through the population unaffected by natural selection, and are only then eliminated by natural selection. Presumably, JC thinks mutations are infectious, since this is the only way this can be made to work.
    JC wrote:
    But ‘thicker fur’ is part of the pre-existing genetic diversity of the organism's genome – and it is not a result of a damaging mutation!!!!!:D

Ah, another old friend - the 'pre-existing genetic diversity'. It's never been observed. Mutation has.
    JC wrote:
    Wicknight
    If it is Gods design or evolution they still change in the same way and don't die. So your idea that even a minor change to the genetic blueprint of a species will result in death of the offspring is nonsense

Intelligently designed systems are capable of allowing dramatic changes to occur in a planned sequential manner - like a detailed complex computer programme - or a Butterfly moving from a Crawling Caterpillar to a Chrysalis to a Flying Adult!!!

Trying to make such changes using random undirected processes would result in disaster!!!

A ‘random minor change’ in the genetic blueprint of a species would result in the death of the offspring – just like a ‘random minor change’ in the code of a computer programme would also make it functionally useless!!!:D

JC is setting us up for a claim of 'managed evolution' where evolution itself can take place because of the amazing design work of God. This will allow him to reconcile observations of speciation with Genesis.

JC wrote:
    Schuhart
    I just wonder if you are breaking new theological ground here for the creationist perspective

Maybe.

It wouldn’t be the first time that some new theological ground was broken on this thread - and I suspect that it won’t be the last!!!!:D

Intellectual barriers have certainly never stopped JC.
    JC wrote:
    Indeed TV broadcasts prove that the tangible information in TV images can exist in invisible media all around us - and TV actually supports the idea that other invisible dimensions and powers exist - like the spiritual realm!!!!:D

My word. What does one say?
    JC wrote:
    Actually, my TV set is PROOF of the intelligent design – of both the TV itself, and it’s designers!!!!:eek:

But not, it seems, of the person sitting in front of it. I do hope you feed the little people in there regularly.

deeply amused,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

JC wrote:
    God is described as MAKER and CREATOR in both Creeds – and these words support a one week literal Genesis Creation – but they are inconsistent with a ‘millions of years’ Evolutionist interpretation!!!
    I remember as a child every Sunday parroting off with all the rest ‘Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible’. I don’t remember a time limit, and I don’t see one now when I check the text. I can't see a time limit in the Apostles Creed either.
    JC wrote:
    There is no hint in either Creed that the Articles of Faith so expressed, include a belief in the Gradual Evolution of life from primordial chemicals.
    Absolutely true. Clearly the physical method through which things get made is left to human inquiry to discover without any theological hindrance, so long as you accept God as the ultimate maker of all things.
    JC wrote:
    God does work all things for His own purposes and He takes an active interest in each Human – indeed the Bible confirms that He knows the number of hairs on our heads.
    Either he gives people free will to copulate when they want or he says ‘Get it on, I’ve a soul I need to install in human flesh’. Which is it? You now seem to be talking about
    a superficially random process of sexual reproduction – but overseen by God’s omnipotent sovereignty.
    Superficially random means no free will.
    JC wrote:
    It wouldn’t be the first time that some new theological ground was broken on this thread - and I suspect that it won’t be the last!!!!
    Indeed, but you seem to be putting the genie back in the bottle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement