Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Wicknight said:
    That isn't true. Adam could not have done what he did unless it was what God decided he would do, because at the moment of creation God knew Adam's present and future (there was no past). Adam's entire time line was decided at the moment God created Adam. If God did not want Adam to sin He would not have created the time line in which Adam did sin.
    Wanting and permitting are two different things.
    But Adam could never not choose to disobey God, because his time line was fixed the moment he was created. That is assuming God can see the future.
    You are entering into the time-travel fantasy. Adam's 'time line' included his free choice to sin.
    Why did God do this when He already knew Adam would not obey him?
    Ends are accomplished by means. And it was the right thing to do. Would it be wrong or foolish of the State to forbid a criminal from re-offending, even if they knew he would?
    In fact He knew Adam would not do this before He created Adam. If God wanted Adam to obey Him he would not have created him so that he would not obey him. That makes no sense.
    Again, wanting and permitting are different, and the bigger picture is that God had a rescue plan in place for Adam's fall.
    "We" didn't fall Wolfsbane, we were pushed. God cursed us, all of us, as punishment for Adam. He decided how that curse would be. He could have turned Adam into a donkey, yet instead he decide that all humans would suffer and eventually die.
    We fell, we have Adam's nature - so therefore Adam's curse properly comes on us. As to the severity of the punishment, turning Adam into a donkey may be your idea of an appropriate penalty for sin; God tells us eternal punishment is the correct one. So your concept of the gravity of sin is the opposite of God's (I have found, however, that men who minimise sin often maximise it - if the sin is against them).
    As I explained above, that makes no sense because God knew Adam would do this before He created Adam. So what was he being punished for?
    Sinning against the infinitely holy God.
    That is a non-answer. Why is it who we are? We could have been anything, why are we the way we are. The answer of course is that we are the way we are because God made us the way we are. So in the end who's fault is it that we are the way we are?
    Once you agree we are sinners, there can be no objection to our guilt and punishment. You then want to go on to spread the guilt to the Maker. But you are a bit of dust blowing around in the vastness of the universe, and God is the creator of everything. How would you be able to contradict Him or demand an explanation of His justice? You should take Him at His word, acknowledge your sinfulness and repent of it. You should turn to Him and serve Him only.
    Lets say Adam took the apple and God decided to kill Adam and start again with a different human who God knew would not take the apple. Then we wouldn't be born sinful, or evil.
    Yes, that is an alternative scenario. But the infinitely wise and holy God chose otherwise. His way is always best.
    Existing isn't a moral fault either.
    Existing as a sinner is.
    Clearly he wasn't since he sinned after only a few days of existing.
    Adam was created with a free will. He was in perfect communion with God. Adam was without moral fault - perfect. Maybe you believe free will is a mark of imperfection?
    And if he is not?
    He is. If He were not, I wouldn't follow him.
    So how is someone evil if all they ever do is choose good. And how is someone good if they choose evil.
    They aren't. Your case was that the ability to choose good or evil was evil. It isn't.
    And Adam could not have existed on his own, therefore God decided Adam would do this.
    God decided Adam would be permitted to do this.
    No offense Wolfsbane but he didn't tell you anything. A group of desert men who lived 3000 years ago decided to write down what they thought God was, what they thought God did, and what they thought God wanted. You read these books and you believe that they are true.
    You know these men weren't bringing God's message to us? You know they just wrote what they imagined? Or is it just your unbelieving opinion?
    But because this was the ramblings of men this description has more holes and paradoxes that an episode of Cross-roads. The fundamental features of the religion contradict themselves.
    We expect a vacant look from the unenlightened:
    1 Corinthians 2:13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
    Now being an atheists you might wonder why I give a damn. The ramblings of men who died a long time ago hold little attention for me beyond mild curiosity at how human culture developed.

What has sparked my attention is your theories on morality and what you believe is acceptable. We are all ultimately evil, according to you. We are ultimately wicked and will ultimately do wicked things. We are all ultimately deserving of punishment. We are ultimately deserving of any punishment that God wishes to do to us.

Now I would hope you have some kind of safety clause some where in your system of beliefs that says that in the end this is up to God and only God to decide.

The the worrying bit is that history has taught us that it is not a huge skip and a jump to go from

We are evil and deserving of any punishment that my God feels fit to inflict

to

We are evil and deserving of any punishment that my God commands me to inflict in his name

History teaches us that it is all to easy to get from one to the other. Which is why when someone like yourself starts rambling on about how we are all evil and all deserving of punishment, my ears pop up like a rabbit out on the heath.
    Ok, Fiver, I can understand you anxiety. :) Men, even Christian men, have brought the world's solutions to spiritual problems. That is not authentic Christianity however. never are Christians told to enforce the faith by violence or the threat of it. In fact, it is expressly forbidden:
    Luke 9:51 Now it came to pass, when the time had come for Him to be received up, that He steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem, 52 and sent messengers before His face. And as they went, they entered a village of the Samaritans, to prepare for Him. 53 But they did not receive Him, because His face was set for the journey to Jerusalem. 54 And when His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?”
    55 But He turned and rebuked them, and said, “You do not know what manner of spirit you are of. 56 For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them.” And they went to another village.

2 Corinthians 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,

It is indeed God who will punish the wicked in the Judgement:
    1 Peter 4:3 For we have spent enough of our past lifetime in doing the will of the Gentiles—when we walked in lewdness, lusts, drunkenness, revelries, drinking parties, and abominable idolatries. 4 In regard to these, they think it strange that you do not run with them in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of you. 5 They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.
    As I explained to BC, that example doesn't work because we aren't Gods, we don't exist outside of time, and we didn't create the alcoholic in the first place.
    That doesn't absolve you of the responsibility to behave properly.
    Say you are a God and you have a big machine for making a creature (I know God uses his mind but same thing). You punch in a load of setting for how you want this creature to be. You then look at the entire future of this creature and see what he will get up to. You notice that 45 years from now, this creature which you are going to call a human, crashes his car into a woman and her 5 kids because he has been drinking.

You go, eww that is horrible. I don't want that to happen. So you alter the dials on your machine just a tiny bit. You now look at the entire future of your creature and see that he lives a peaceful life, has six kids and a loving wife, and lives to a rip old age.

Now, do you press the button on the first setting, or on the second setting? And if you press the button on the first setting, and your creature ends up 45 years from now killing a load of children (which you know will and must happen), who's fault is that? You pressed the button, it was your decision to create your creature the way you did. You decided how your creature would be, and you decided the future he would have. Could you claim that it wasn't your fault, or could you get mad and angry with your creature because he did this?
    Man is not a robot. He is a free agent. That God could have prevented him from sinning is no defense to the sin. That God did not do so is no proof of God's guilt, for God is infinitely holy. The dilemna in our thinking is resolved when we recognise our limitations in understanding and God's infinite wisdom.
    As I said, it is an interpretation of the Bible that is rather modern (around the 1960s), owing probably a bit to recreational drug use, and which for most of the history of Christianity was interpreted very differently.
    I don't know who you are relying on for your information, but a cursory search on the net will inform you otherwise. Evangelical Christianity was the faith held by the Reformers, Puritans, the Protestant missionary movement, The Wilberforce's, Cadbury's, Howard's, etc. of past centuries - and by the underground church before the Reformation. An example, the Baptists have been in Ireland from the mid-1600s. They always were, and still are, Evangelical.

It is the religion of the Bible. You will note that many of those opposed to this religion also oppose the Bible as being the sole final authority on the Christian.

Son Goku said:
    Impressed upon you? Witness in your heart?
    Did God tell you or did you feel something from God when you read Genesis?
    I don't want a "I felt a thousand butterflies smile on the meadow of my mind"-type answer, I want what happened in no vague terms.

Did it tell you explicitly?
    I did not see Him or hear an audible voice. But I heard His voice in that His truth came to me with certainty, unlike the normal information we receive daily. This is the usual way Christians experience God speaking. The exceptions happen, in exceptional circumstances.

This normal experience is spoken of in the New Testament, e.g:
    John 10:11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. 12 But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them. 13 The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. 15 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16 And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.
    Here is the problem according to Science:
    You can't cause others to appreciate this revelation you had from God, so it is useless in an argument. We have no common basis to accept your proposals on, because we've never felt God in our lives. So even if what you're saying is the truth, we just won't get it because we haven't experienced what you've experienced yet. You need an objective argument.
    But you are confusing science with religion. My comments about faith are not meant to be scientific proof - they are merely a statement of what I have experieced in my spirit. You guys asked, so I told you. Now if I had said I have found a living dinosaur, I would be expected to offer proof.
    If you won't give one, why argue with us?
    My argument with you ranges from spiritual matters like the justice of God, to material matters like evidences that support the Biblical record. Objective arguments, such as the discovery of non-fossilized dinosaur remains, are regularly offerred - especially by JC.
    I'm saying you shouldn't dismiss the technicality of science as if it's just something done for the laugh. It is a very important part of the subject. "I'm not interested in the details" is a very dismissive argument.
    I agree. That's why I would never use it.
    Another thing, would you eegits argue against evolution and not bring in this secular, atheist stuff. Either you can criticise the theory or you can not. There's no point coming here telling us how "wicked" we are, it has nothing to do with the science.
    So you want the Bible, Creation and Prophecy thread to be limited only to scientific debate on the pros and cons of either theory? If the mods want that, I happy to let JC keep you on your toes. I just took it that the thread took in not only the scientific argument but the worldviews that informed them and influenced the on-going controversy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Word-twisting at its best.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I did not see Him or hear an audible voice. But I heard His voice in that His truth came to me with certainty, unlike the normal information we receive daily. This is the usual way Christians experience God speaking. The exceptions happen, in exceptional circumstances.
    So was there just, all of a sudden, some information in your head and that information was about the truth of Genesis?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    But you are confusing science with religion.
    That's rich.
    Objective arguments, such as the discovery of non-fossilized dinosaur remains, are regularly offerred - especially by JC.
    Do you honestly believe he makes any sense? Getting away from Creationism and Evolution, do you really think his arguments are coherent?
    For instance his practise of claiming a theory is refuted after one recent observation is unethical practice for a scientist. Do you stand behind that?
    I agree. That's why I would never use it.
    Eh?
    In science I can look at the big picture but not argue the details.
    And I know your going to say "Ah, but I said I don't have to argue the details, not that I'm not interested in them", but they are the same thing. The details have to be argued. In science the details are the big picture.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    So you want the Bible, Creation and Prophecy thread to be limited only to scientific debate on the pros and cons of either theory? If the mods want that, I happy to let JC keep you on your toes. I just took it that the thread took in not only the scientific argument but the worldviews that informed them and influenced the on-going controversy.
    Yes, but calling us evil and wicked, and harping on about conspiracies isn't an argument.

I put it to you that you don't really know what science is about or how it works and that you have an unusual view of those who are employed in it. This is evident by your arguing over the definition of entropy as closed minded (an incredibly crankish comment) and your belief in a world-wide conspiracy (A ridiculous belief for an adult), among other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gosimeon

That point by JC about the dinosaur that scientifically scientifically speaking must be relatively very young is true, mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

wolfsbane wrote:
    Wanting and permitting are two different things.

Not when you ultimately create everything (ie are God). That would be like saying I didn't want a turkey and letice roll but I permitted my roll to turn out as a turkey letice roll.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    You are entering into the time-travel fantasy.
    Its your Bible which says that God sees all, including the future. I think it is all fantasy, but you are supposed to believe it...
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Adam's 'time line' included his free choice to sin.
    If at the moment of Adam's creation God can see Adam's choice in the future can Adam ever not make the choice God has already seen him make? Clearly not, because what ever choice Adam makes from Gods point of view there is only one choice and that choice never changes.

More importantly this is true before God made Adam. God made Adam knowing that he would never do anything but sin, that is time line was fixed.

Ultimately the only person that effects this choice that Adam makes is God based on how he decides to make Adam, and in fact make the universe and time, at the very start. Only God can alter the time line, and as such only God can decide if Adam does or does not sin.

Of course this opens another paradox, that being can God change his mind when he has already observed his future decisions. But I think we will leave that for another day.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Ends are accomplished by means. And it was the right thing to do.
    Why was it the right thing to do to create Adam the way God did, knowing that the way he created him would mean he would sin and damn the entire human race? Since God ultimately decides Adam's time line, why not create him with a time line where he doesn't sin?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Again, wanting and permitting are different, and the bigger picture is that God had a rescue plan in place for Adam's fall.

Why? Surely the best "rescue plan" was not to create Adam knowing he would sin? Create someone else instead who you know isn't going to sin, call him Bob.

There is no logical reason why God had to create Adam if he knew he was going to sin and damn the world. He had infiniate possibilities, he could have created anyone. He could have created Bob, who wouldn't sin.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    We fell, we have Adam's nature - so therefore Adam's curse properly comes on us.

"We" didn't fall Wolfsbane, "we" didn't exist yet. Adam "fell" by eat an apple that he was told not to and God punished him. But while punishing Adam God decided to punish all us at the same time. Did he have to do this? No, of course not. We didn't even exist yet. He could have given Adam 100 lashes and made him eat dirt the rest of his life. He could have made the rest of Adam's life horrifically painful. He didn't, he decide to punish Adam and also punish the rest of us too.

But, and here is the kicker, God knew this would happen before he created humans. God knew that Adam would fall and he knew that he would curse all of humanity because of Adam's "fall"

It was never not going to happen.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    As to the severity of the punishment, turning Adam into a donkey may be your idea of an appropriate penalty for sin; God tells us eternal punishment is the correct one.

Adam seemed to get off pretty lightly then didn't he? I mean he lived for 900 years and had a pretty happy life, with lots of children. That is a lot better than what most of us get. Why are we punished worse than even Adam when Adam was the one who committed the sin in the first place?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Sinning against the infinitely holy God.
    God knew he would do this, and created him that he would. If God decides that one of his creations will sin against him it doesn't make a lot of sense to then punish that creation for doing what he was always going to do based on how God decided to make him.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Once you agree we are sinners, there can be no objection to our guilt and punishment.

Once you realise that God made us that way there can be no logic behind the idea that God would want to punish us for being like this, the way his actions decided we would be.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Yes, that is an alternative scenario. But the infinitely wise and holy God chose otherwise. His way is always best.

Well there you go. So it is "his way", his decision that we be like this ... so why are we punished for his decision?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Existing as a sinner is.
    Is it possible to exist any other way?

Clearly it isn't since we are supposed to be born in a state of wickedness. And who decide that we would be born this way?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Adam was created with a free will.
    Adam could never not do what God had already seen him doing. God saw him sin before he was created. God saw him sin before the universe was created.

Adam could never not sin once God had decided to create him. The only person that had any control over what Adam would do, whether he would sin or not sin, was God himself. God created a version of Adam that would sin. As you say this was "His way.." God could have created a different version of Adam that God knew wouldn't sin. But he didn't. He choose to create the Adam he created, and that Adam sinned against God.

In the end it was all God's decision that this would happen. "His way.." as you call it.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    He was in perfect communion with God. Adam was without moral fault - perfect. Maybe you believe free will is a mark of imperfection?
    If God was morally perfect why did he disobey God over something as simple as not eating an apple?

It seems that as soon as Adam had the chance to sin he did without much second thought. That doesn't seem particularly "without moral fault" ...
    wolfsbane wrote:
    He is. If He were not, I wouldn't follow him.
    That is a bit of bizarre logic. You use the fact that you follow him a reason that you should follow him?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    God decided Adam would be permitted to do this.
    Being permitted means Adam's choice was unknown to God at the time. God let Adam choose.

But you are ignoring the fact that your own religion teaches that God sees the future and created Adam in the first place.

God knew what choice Adam would pick before He created him.

The decisions God made during the creation of Adam meant that Adam would be stuck on a path that would only ever lead to him sinning against God.

Adam could never not do that, because God had already seen him do it.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    You know these men weren't bringing God's message to us? You know they just wrote what they imagined? Or is it just your unbelieving opinion?

It is my unbelieving opinion. But since I only have their word that they talked to God to go on, and since the writers of every holy book in existence claim they talked to God, I tend to talk such claims with a pinch of salt.

Just because someone thinks they communicate with God doesn't mean they actually do.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Ok, Fiver, I can understand you anxiety. :) Men, even Christian men, have brought the world's solutions to spiritual problems. That is not authentic Christianity however.

The problem is that there are a million and one ways to get around that.

Pepole will (and do) argue Jesus only condemns immoral actions carried out by Christians. All you have to do is tell yourself that your actions are not immoral, and no problem.

For example the religious Christian Right in American often said that "Jesus would not condemn a just war" when talking about Iraq. The New Testament did not say don't bomb Iraq in their mind because doing so was just.

In the end one has to interperate the Bible, and as such than are given the flexibility to make it say what they want it to say.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The dilemna in our thinking is resolved when we recognise our limitations in understanding and God's infinite wisdom.

That isn't a resolution Wolfsbane, it is what is known as blind faith. "This doesn't make any sense but I have faith that we humans are idiots and God knows what he is doing"

The problem with that is that if God doesn't know what he is doing you will be none the wiser.

I would see it the other way around.

Gods logic, because it is supposed to be prefect, should be clear and simple because he should not need complex convoluted logic. It should be understood by a child. If it isn't then it isn't God's logic, but it is instead the logic of men, which is often overly complex and convoluted.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I don't know who you are relying on for your information, but a cursory search on the net will inform you otherwise. Evangelical Christianity was the faith held by the Reformers, Puritans, the Protestant missionary movement

I was referring to the "born-again" movement that is associated with the Evangelical renewals in the 1960s that put specific emphasis on a powerful conversion experience during a persons life, rather than the traditionally held view that being "born-again" happened at baptism.

• Advertisement

gosimeon wrote:
    That point by JC about the dinosaur that scientifically scientifically speaking must be relatively very young is true, mind you.

No actually it isn't.

Organic material, such as insects, have been discovered in things like amber from over 150 million years ago (that was the inspiration for Jurassic Park).

JC will no doubt claim that all these examples came from after 6000 years ago at the most, and all our dating systems are wrong :rolleyes:

At the end of the day if JC simply rejects all science he doesn't like as being nonsense there isn't a whole lot of point arguing with him, he is just being dumb.

Its bizarre thought that he is happy for science to classify this creature as a T-Rex, happy for science to observe the material and happy for since to work out it is organic tissue, but when science (the same scientists even) date this thing suddenly he claims they are all idiots making wild unsupported assumptions and not fit to wear a lab coat. It is almost as if he is deciding what he will or won't accept based on some predetermined religious belief ... go figure.

People say JC is harmless and should be let just rant away. But then sometimes other people actually listen to him, and then his nonsense gets troubling because spreading nonsense is a bit worse than just believing it yourself.

Gosimeon you can pretty much take it that nothing JC says is actually true.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I see JC's still quoting links from Ken Ham in AiG. Turns out that Ken has been behaving in a most un-Christ-like way over the last 18 months.

CSF begat AIG which suffered a schism in late 2005 and produced AIG (USA, UK) and CMI (Oz, NZ and now UK). But, according to CMI, it seems that AIG have shafted CMI by stealing its membership list, give the impression that CMI have gone out of business and generally screwing CMI around. More info on all of these from CMI at:

http://www.creationontheweb.com/content/view/4769
    http://www.creationontheweb.com/content/view/4770

What's most interesting about this is that CMI's complaints corroborate everything that skeptics have been saying about AIG which is that they are a marketing organization interested only in making money. The "general comments" in the second page strips both organizations of any pretenses to honesty -- all the text talks about is board room politics, memoranda of agreement, defamation, spreading falsehoods, market branding, threats of legal action etc, etc. CMI note their concerns quite bluntly:
    It is now clear that the very survival of the ministry in Australia (CMI) is being seriously threatened and we feel that we have no alternative but to speak up and to insist that AiG (USA) obey the law in regards to trade practices and ethics.
    Regardless of the spat and AIG behavior as reported by CMI, I'm sure the faithful will continue to flock to Ken's top-name brand. With CMI having to resort (heavens!) to mentioning the work of Skeptics in promoting information about their turf-war, it seems that AIG have already won this particular battle for the Lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

gosimeon wrote:

Let's be quite clear about what Mary Schweitzer's team found - well-preserved microstructures in fossilised bone.

First, that's "in fossilised bone" - claims of "fresh bone", or "articulating leg bones" are completely false. These were fossil bones embedded in rock, as per usual.

Second, that's "microstructures" - claims that these are red blood cells are premature. It remains uncertain exactly what they are. Most of the microstructures are actually channels in the bone - probably capillaries.

Third, that's "well-preserved". Microfossilisation, where very small and delicate structures are replaced by mineral or organic molecules, is well-known from the fossil record.

There are preserved protozoan cells with nuclei from 225Ma old amber - these structures are entirely replaced with resin. There are fossilised graptolite colonies from 400Ma ago which are flexible - but this is a property of the material that has replaced the original, not of well-preserved original material.

What was exciting about this discovery was not that it was the first time that well-preserved fossil microstructures had ever been found, but rather that it allowed a direct partial comparison between a T.rex and an ostrich at the microstructural level.

Original interviews with Schweitzer are available online. None of them contain the claims made by people like AnswersInGenesis - and AiG did no interviews of its own.

There is no excuse for repeating lies.

emphatically,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    Original interviews with Schweitzer are available online. None of them contain the claims made by people like AnswersInGenesis - and AiG did no interviews of its own.

Interestingly enough Schweitzer is a devout Christian (kinda surprising since Wolfsbane and JC have already told us that all evolutionists are atheists) and is rather annoyed at how Creationists groups missrepresent her work.
    http://www.smithsonianmagazine.com/issues/2006/may/dinosaur.php?page=1

Meanwhile, Schweitzer’s research has been hijacked by “young earth” creationists, who insist that dinosaur soft tissue couldn’t possibly survive millions of years. They claim her discoveries support their belief, based on their interpretation of Genesis, that the earth is only a few thousand years old. Of course, it’s not unusual for a paleontologist to differ with creationists. But when creationists misrepresent Schweitzer’s data, she takes it personally: she describes herself as “a complete and total Christian.” On a shelf in her office is a plaque bearing an Old Testament verse: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
    Young-earth creationists also see Schweitzer’s work as revolutionary, but in an entirely different way. They first seized upon Schweitzer’s work after she wrote an article for the popular science magazine Earth in 1997 about possible red blood cells in her dinosaur specimens. Creation magazine claimed that Schweitzer’s research was “powerful testimony against the whole idea of dinosaurs living millions of years ago. It speaks volumes for the Bible’s account of a recent creation

This drives Schweitzer crazy. Geologists have established that the Hell Creek Formation, where B. rex was found, is 68 million years old, and so are the bones buried in it. She’s horrified that some Christians accuse her of hiding the true meaning of her data. “They treat you really bad,” she says. “They twist your words and they manipulate your data.” For her, science and religion represent two different ways of looking at the world; invoking the hand of God to explain natural phenomena breaks the rules of science. After all, she says, what God asks is faith, not evidence. “If you have all this evidence and proof positive that God exists, you don’t need faith. I think he kind of designed it so that we’d never be able to prove his existence. And I think that’s really cool.”

By definition, there is a lot that scientists don’t know, because the whole point of science is to explore the unknown. By being clear that scientists haven’t explained everything, Schweitzer leaves room for other explanations. “I think that we’re always wise to leave certain doors open,” she says.

Schuhart said:
    But you’ve already said that God just isn’t bothered about anyone who isn’t already one of the Elect, to the extent that the message might not even reach them. According to that view, people have already been turned away.
    Rather, they turned away from God, ignoring the witness of their conscience and nature to His existence, and sought their own gods.
    The value I recall being taught as the centre of Christianity was love. That seems entirely absent from the picture you describe. If that’s really what the message says to you, fair enough. But I really think by studying the text so closely you’ve lost the meaning.
    The love of God is primarily manifested toward the elect. Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her:
    Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.

Romans 8:31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.

Romans 9:22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
    Muslims don’t hold with idol worship. As we know, the Taliban even read this as a divine edict that Buddhist statutes must be destroyed (despite, let it be said, efforts by mainstream Muslim scholars to persuade them that this was not required). So I’m puzzled how ‘idolatry’ comes into the picture in their case.
    The worship of a false god is iudolatry, even if there is no physical image used.
    As far as they are concerned, they pray to the same God of Abraham as you do.
    They are mistaken. The Samaritans thought they too worshipped the God of Abraham, but here is what Christ told them:
    John 4:22 You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews.
    They do it because their parents tell them that is the right God to worship, and that Islam contains the right way to pray to him. How does praying to what you describe as the true God in the way that any reasonable person you know says is the correct and respectful form constitute rebellion? Is your God really such a stickler for detail that he refuses honest worship?
    He refuses worship that is not conformed to His revealed will. Muslims reject so much of what God reveals of His truth in both the Old and New Testaments. Especially they reject the truth of the deity Jesus Christ. Jesus told the unbelieving (but religious) Jews:
    John 8:24 Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”
    In fairness, he is if sometimes he decides not to allow us.
    What occasions are these?

• Advertisement

Son Goku said:
    So why do you accept one of Fermi's theories predictions and not the others?
    Almost no theory is purely operational or theoretical and almost all operational science has predictions I'm sure you'd disagree with.
    My point was not to question decay rates, just to point out that this hard fact is quite unlike the extrapolations and inferences drawn from it.

For example, I gather evolutionary dates claim support from decay rates, but the assumption is made that the measurement has not been skewed by leaching, or the assumption is made about the original amount of the radioactive material. The former maybe provide indications of its presence, but the latter seems to be beyond scientific determination. A mature creation 6000 years ago requires the same sort of rocks as we see today, if God wanted us to have the materials we do.

So I have no problem with science predicting millions of years for some element to drop below dangerous levels of radiation. If we are around that long, that's what we would find. My objection is the insistance that we already have been here that long, based on the level of radioactivity in an element today. It does not follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

wolfsbane wrote:
    For example, I gather evolutionary dates claim support from decay rates, but the assumption is made that the measurement has not been skewed by leaching, or the assumption is made about the original amount of the radioactive material.

My objection is the insistance that we already have been here that long, based on the level of radioactivity in an element today. It does not follow.
    Yes, but that would be valid if there were only one dating method. Why do all radioactive processes give a date around 4.57 billion years for Earth.

For instance you say:
    wolfsbane wrote:
    For example, I gather evolutionary dates claim support from decay rates, but the assumption is made that the measurement has not been skewed by leaching, or the assumption is made about the original amount of the radioactive material.
    However there is no physical mechanism which can effect Strontium or Iridium decays, which also effects zircons. They exist on energy scales an order of magnitude removed from eachother. So why do Strontium, Iridium and zircons all give the same wrong answer?
    And this is only three of twenty elements used in decay measurement and I've yet to get to neutrino dating, as well as other forms of dating.

Why do they all give the same wrong answer?
    The "assumptions of original mother elements" arguement would be valid if we only had one or two ways of dating.

To be honest this is the main question that has never been answered here. JC either makes a lame joke or dodges it. What is the actual Creationist response to this?

So again why do all (over thirty), physically independant methods of dating all give the same wrong answer?

wolfsbane wrote:
    Son Goku said:

My point was not to question decay rates, just to point out that this hard fact is quite unlike the extrapolations and inferences drawn from it.

For example, I gather evolutionary dates claim support from decay rates, but the assumption is made that the measurement has not been skewed by leaching, or the assumption is made about the original amount of the radioactive material. The former maybe provide indications of its presence, but the latter seems to be beyond scientific determination. A mature creation 6000 years ago requires the same sort of rocks as we see today, if God wanted us to have the materials we do.

So I have no problem with science predicting millions of years for some element to drop below dangerous levels of radiation. If we are around that long, that's what we would find. My objection is the insistance that we already have been here that long, based on the level of radioactivity in an element today. It does not follow.

I have to take issue with this. I know you don't claim to be a scientist, so perhaps you didn't follow earlier discussions with respect to dating rocks. I will put it, as much as I can, in non-scientific terms:

1. 'rocks', as such, are very rarely dated - they usually give unreliable dates, for all the reasons that you mention.

2. what is dated are minerals within the rocks.

3. every mineral has a particular crystal structure, which depends on on the chemical composition of the mineral - that is, the chemical composition, and the temperature/pressure, between them 'specify' the structure of the crystal.

4. many minerals are very 'tightly specified', if you'll excuse the phrase, in terms of what can and cannot be put into their crystal structure. If a mineral's crystal form specifies that a sodium atom must go in the corner, you cannot simply replace that with another atom.

5. isotopes that are used for dating must meet at least two criteria - they must be long-lived, and their decay product (the atom left after they decay) must be chemically as different as possible from them.

6. because the dating radioisotope is very different from its decay product, we know that those 'slots' in crystals that will hold the dating radioisotope would not hold the decay product

7. from 6, we know that the decay products found in these crystals cannot have been an original part of the crystal, because it would not fit (yes, this means the crystal we are dating is damaged).

It's exactly as if we said - let's take this sentence:

"there is no e in this sentence"

We know there's no 'a' in that sentence. If we know that 'e' decays to 'a', witha half-life of five days, then after five days we would expect half the 'e's in that sentence to have become 'a's instead.

Note that the original sentence is specified.

The objections you throw at the radiometric dating of rocks would apply if we dated 'rocks', but we don't - we date crystals, which start with a specified structure, and that structure does not contain, at the start, any of the decay products that we measure at the end.

The original crystals used in dating are specified - we know exactly what their crystal structure was.

If there's anything there that is either incomprehensible, or that you find unbelievable, please ask.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    A mature creation 6000 years ago requires the same sort of rocks as we see today, if God wanted us to have the materials we do.

What you are basically saying is how do we know that God didn't make a mature Earth 6,000 years ago that looked like it was 4 billion years old.

There are a few problems with that theory.

Firstly, why? is the obvious question. I know that might not be that important to you as you seem to not mind just following what the Bible says, but if you want others to consider it then "why" is a very important question.

Not only would God have to create the Earth in a mature state, but he has created an Earth that simulates events on Earth that would have actually never happened.

For example over the years Earth has been hit by some pretty big asteroids. These have left quite large crater formations around the world.

http://www.solarviews.com/eng/tercrate.htm

If the Earth was created in a mature state some 6,000 years ago these asteroid hits never actually happened. There was no asteroid, there was no Earth to hit. God made these craters as they are to look like an asteroid hit the Earth at such a point in time before time actually existed. Does that make much sense?

YEC creationists sometimes claim that all these impacts did actually happen during the last 6,000 years, either during creation week or during the Flood, despite the fact that even a simple geological survey of them will tell you that they clearly didn't. Neither theory holds up with the evidence or even much thought, considering that the Earths surface would have been turned to liquid if 20,000 large asteroids hit it in a single year, let alone a single day. YECs seem to spend more time arguing among themselves over which theory is correct than with geologists (who like most scientists view young earth creationism with mild indifference and amusing bewilderment).

Probably sensing that they were betting on the wrong horse by attempting to fit the actual evidence with a Young Earth model, Answers In Genesis took the not unsurprising position of simply lying and saying that the Earth is almost "crater free", the largest detectable crater on Earth is the Meteor Crater in Arizona. Which isn't true, but sure when has that ever stopped AiG!

The second issue is that science can only go on what the universe actually looks like. If the Earth looks billions of years old then the Earth looks billions of years old.

A Creationists saying "Well yes it looks 4 billion years old but my special book that God has confirmed to me is true tells me it is only 6,000 years old" is rather pointless. They can certainly believe that if they wish, but the Earth looks the way it looks. If people want to believe that it isn't actually how it looks that is up to them.

But it is science's responsibility to study how it actually looks and report back on that.

Wicknight said:
    Yes, that is exactly what it means, at least to the highest degree of certainty.

That is a fundamental principle of science, and one of the reasons that science rejects Creationism as unscientific, because Creationists assert that they know for certain that the Bible is correct. Since they cannot possibly know that they are being unscientific. As such any results they produce are also unscientific, and most likely biased.

You either follow science or you don't.
    If many scientists reject Creationism as unscientific because Creationists assert that they know for certain that the Bible is correct, then they are being very unscientific. They should stick to criticising Creationist scientific arguments, not their belief about the Bible. Creationists do not claim their knowledge about the Bible is accessible to science - they in fact claim it must be spiritually revealed. It is the Creationist scientific assertions that are up to scientific scrutiny. Your position would disqualify from science everyone who believed an any god. That's why I doubt you are correct in claiming scientists do so. Maybe Scofflaw can enlighten me?
    Well that is fine for day to day life, but if you used that as a principle of scientific discovery you open yourself up to the possibility of huge mistakes.
    If one's beliefs are not supported by the evidence, then one must examine them again. If I saw that science had disproved Genesis, I would have to accept the Bible is not the word of God; and the necessary corollary, that the God of the Bible is unreal.
    That is a reason to believe something. But it is not a reason to say you know something, or to assert that it is true, that it is an axiom on which to build further assertions.

Put it this way, if this "revelation" you had from God could feel to you exactly the same as a stroke, would you be able to tell the difference, would you be able to assert that this was either a stroke or that it was a revelation from God?

You can certainly believe that what you experienced was a revelation from God. There is no problem in that, more power to you.

It is only when you assert that you know it was, and then use this assertion as a axiom on which to build further assertions.
    I have seen evidence of the reality of God. I have experienced various answers to prayer. I have seen His power at work in others' lives. So it is not just a matter of imagination.
    You can claim that you believe God doesn't lie and that anything God does is moral, but you need to realise that that is a person choice based on your personal beliefs and assessments. You don't know it is true, you only think it is.
    As I said above, I have experience to the contrary. The witness of the Spirit of God is supported by seeing Him in action in my life. This is the testimony of every Christian:
    1 John 5:20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.
    You don't think there is any contrary evidence for the existence of God?
    None that stand up.
    Fair enough, but I would also point out that most Creationists will go to ridiculous extremes to show that something isn't contrary to God. You are already claiming massive atheist conspiracies and disception on the part of the "atheist" scientific community.
    The wilful gagging of dissent by the scientific establishment is admitted by you all. You justify it on the grounds that Creationism isn't real science, no matter the credentials of those holding it. But such gagging is a conspiracy in my book, even if you are blind to it. It is the equivalent of a religion gagging dissent and claiming to be open to discuss all theology. The dissenters obviously don't do 'real theology'.

The religionists could validly gag dissent, insisting on only their theology being accepted. That is what revealed religion is about. But they should not pretend to be open on theology. Science is not about revealed truths, so it is very improper for scientists to behave as if their were purveyors of a religion. I just love that WSJ quote:
    Darwinism, by contrast, is an essential ingredient in secularism, that aggressive, quasi-religious faith without a deity. The Sternberg case seems, in many ways, an instance of one religion persecuting a rival, demanding loyalty from anyone who enters one of its churches--like the National Museum of Natural History. :D

It is all very well to state that you would look at evidence against your beliefs, but you actually have to be willing to do that Wolfsbane. You clearly aren't because I would imagine that you like most religious people have a lot personally invested in your religion being right.
    You make big assumptions about what others might do.
    You believe you will have eternal life and happiness in heaven, that isn't something some would just go "oh, looks like I was wrong, oh well" I don't blame you for not wanting to consider arguments or evidence that would in any way raise the possibility that that might not actually happen.
    Walking the Christian path is difficult. If I thought I was deluding myself with pie-in-the-sky, I would take the easy road.
    As I mentioned above one of the biggest problems with Creationism is that it has already made its mind up, and each one of you have already invested personally in your beliefs being right. This is why Creationism exists in the first place, it is an attempt to bring just a bit more assurance that yes what we believe is true, yes we are all saved, yes we are all going to have eternal life, yes God does love us all. Creationism ironically enough is born out of uncertainty of faith, it is a movement that seeks to try and find evidence to back up a religious belief system.
    Creationism isn't really about supporting Christians in their belief about God. It is primarily about removing obstacles from the path of unbelievers. It is also about showing Christians they have no reason to abandon the normal reading of Genesis. If it were only me, I could be content with understanding evolutionists were blinded unbelievers, grasping at any way to avoid the reality of God. I could get on with living the Christian life and never refer to science. But science is being abused by Satan in this past century or so to rubbish the gospel, therefore we engage in this battle.
    Put it this way, I know of no Creationists who thinks they are going to hell in the after life.
    Being Christians, that is the only correct view to have.
    So Creationists cannot come to the table of science in this frame of mind because they are already biased to see what they want to see, and ignore what you don't want to see.
    As I pointed out above, if they suspected it was all false, they have very practical grounds for abandoning the faith.
    A principle of science is that every theory must be falsafiable, in that it must be possible to show that it is wrong. That is true of gravity, it is true of evolution.

Evolution might be wrong. Most scientists don't think it is wrong, it works quite well and fits the evidence quite well, but it might be completely wrong. If it is science will eventually figure out that it is. This ultimately isn't that important. If evolution was shown to be wrong tomorrow it might trouble a lot of biologists but then they would have a new theory to work on anyway so I doubt they would be too upset. They don't have anything personally invested in evolution being right, particularly the atheists. Oh look evolution is wrong, that means I might not get to cease to exist when I die! Oh no!! What will we do!
    The real response is more likely to be, Oh look evolution is wrong, that means I will go to hell when I die! Oh no!! What will we do! That is a good reason to suppress the truth of God in their minds.
    What is far more important that the question of if a theory is correct or not is that you follow science when dealing with it. Theories come and go, theories are shown incorrect all the time. It is the principles on which you do this, the principles that Creationists don't follow, that are important.
    Creationists hold to absolute truths concerning what God says about Creation. They do not regard their particular theories - about how it has all worked out since - as absolutes. They differ with other Creationists, they change their minds, they remain unsure, etc.
    If Genesis is literal truth. If it isn't then we have a problem...
    Indeed.
    You don't know Genesis is literal truth. You certainly believe it is, which is your right to do so. But you don't know it is. You don't know that that revelation you had was actually God and not some trick of the mind. You don't know that if it was God He wasn't actually lying to you. You believe all these things, which is perfectly in your right to do, but you don't know them.
    I know it is true. I don't know everything about it, however. You may continue the mantra that no one can know anything for sure, but I have a surer Witness and experience than you do.
    As such it is incorrect from a scientific point of view to work off the axiom of Genesis as the basis for future scientific exploration. That isn't science. That isn't how it works.

If you do decide to do that there is very little point in calling it science, or expected the scientific community to take you seriously.
    Well, evolutionists work of the axiom that the universe is billions of years old. Sure, you accept they may be mistaken about that, but such doubt never enters their minds in any of the science they do - so it is for all purposes just as absolute as Genesis is for me.
    "Operational science" as you call it is the application of theory to practical design.

If the theory behind these designs didn't work then you could not make the design itself work.
    The theory behind these designs doesn't tell us the universe is very old.
    But that doesn't trouble you when you go to buy a TV. You don't say "Hold on a minute, the theory that was applied to makes this TV work can also be applied to tell me the universe is billions of light years across! Take this TV back it is an affront to God"
    The theory of physics does not tell me the universe is very old (the size of the universe is irrevelant to that question).
    Your TV works in a predictable fashion because there is a theory behind the design that allows those to predict what will happen and design around this. That is the same with all areas of science, from astronomy to geology. The more a theory appears to predict correctly the more strength that theory gains in the scientific community.
    Quite right too.
    But Creationists reject these theories, even the very strong ones, if they predict something that appears to go against their religious teaching. As I keep saying, it doesn't work like that.
    The problem is often not so much the theory as what the theorist or his peers extrapolate from it. What theories had you in mind?
    You can't go "well I don't mind saying that the theory of light is strong and predictable when applied to getting my TV to work, but I totally reject it when applied to the distance between galaxies". The only reason you are doing that is because of religious grounds.
    What problem do you think I have with there being a vast distance between galaxies? What would that tell us about the age of the universe?
    What are you basing that on?
    The observed relative stability of man in recorded history.
    It doesn't work fine. Every 4 years the vast majority of countries feel angry and annoyed that they didn't win the world cup when this year they thought they really were going to do it. Sure just look at England.
    I was referring to the survival of the Church, its spread to every part of the world, despite countless attempts to exterminate it. It is as the Lord Jesus said, "The gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." The gospel has lost none of its power to change even the worst of sinners.
    The other point is that it is meaningless. You cannot say "I know we are going to win the world cup, lets bet the house on it" because you don't know you are going to win the world cup.

The same applies to religion.
    No one can know God is real, no one can know the future? Keep your head in the sand if you will, we know different.
    I happily concede that. The point is I won't know either way, and neither will you.
    Hmm. You know that, do you? I would have thought such an oxymoronic statement would have been obvious, even to you in your blind state.
    If you aren't open to the possibility that you could be wrong then you have no place doing science.
    Just to confirm this new insight of yours - no one who believes in a god has any place in doing science?
    Which is why Creationism is not welcome as part of science.
    If you say so. Most evolutionists I have read say the belief in God is not grounds for rejecting Creationism.
    I don't know what you mean by this. Evolution has been questioned for the last 150 years. At the start no one accepted it.

Evolution had to earn its place among modern scientific theories, which it eventually did.
    Evolutionists took over the control of the debate and barred continuing discussion.
    And millions don't. So you know, the question is why do you believe the hundreds instead of the millions?
    Personal credibility of the scientists; my belief in the Bible; my observation of time's arrow.
    Actually I know why, you do this because you want/need some form of confirmation from science that your religious beliefs are valid. But at the end of the day that is your problem. It is not sciences responsibility to make you feel better about your religion. That is not a valid reason to turn away from the principles of science.
    You are wrong in your certainly, as I explained above. And I don't turn away from the principles of science. I just object to you abusing them.
    Well there you go. I'm sure a Scientologist thinks what you believe is complete bonkers
    I certainly hope so!
    I'm sure you are, and if you are happy like this I am happy for you.
    I would even be happier if you were happy for the same reason as me.
    But you cannot expect that people will just assume that you actually know what you are talking about, that people will just assume that what you claim is true actually is true.
    I don't expect them to just assume this. I expect them to investigate it for themselves. To seek after God until they find Him.
    Well there you go. As I said you want very strongly for what you believe to be true because you want what is part of that, namely eternal life and happiness in heaven (I assume you want this).
    I come at it from the opposite direction - the possession of eternal life makes me want to glorify God in spreading His word.
    What I would hope that you take from this discussion is that while it is perfectly find to want this, that it is perfectly fine to believe you will get this, you should realise that you don't know this.
    What I want you to take from this discussion is that you cannot know that I cannot know. You may suspect this is so, but you - by your own premise -cannot know it. I am fully persuaded that I know the Truth.
    One of the advantages of atheism is that we aren't promised anything, by anyone, and as such have no need to believe something or disbelieve something else in order to get something.
    The disadvantage of atheism is that you must at all costs avoid thinking that God is real and you are damned if you do not repent and trust in Him. That colours your defence of evolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

wolfsbane wrote:
    Rather, they turned away from God, ignoring the witness of their conscience and nature to His existence, and sought their own gods.
    I don’t see how this knits to your idea that God only brings the message to places where the elect are, when you were explaining why in some parts of the world a person might live their life without coming into contact with the faith. If someone wasn’t given the option, they can’t have turned away – particularly if they diligently followed whatever religion was on offer.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The love of God is primarily manifested toward the elect. Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her.
    I got the elect bit. You think God is inherently unfair. I understand that.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The worship of a false god is idolatry, even if there is no physical image used.
    I still think you need to find another word to describe Islam. Heresy, maybe, from your perspective. But hardly idolatry.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    He refuses worship that is not conformed to His revealed will. Muslims reject so much of what God reveals of His truth in both the Old and New Testaments. Especially they reject the truth of the deity Jesus Christ. Jesus told the unbelieving (but religious) Jews:
    John 8:24 Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”
    That’s fine. Your picture of an unjust and misleading God is perfectly consistent. I guess the non-elect should respond by seizing control of creation and declaring the Republic of Heaven.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    What occasions are these?
    I think the greyness still exists in that example of adultery.
    Either God allows the act to take place at a time when a child will be conceived, or diverts it if for some reason he doesn’t want a child to be born.
    If the ‘permission’ to exercise free will is only give when God knows a child will result, he just is part responsible.

wolfsbane wrote:
    If many scientists reject Creationism as unscientific because Creationists assert that they know for certain that the Bible is correct, then they are being very unscientific. They should stick to criticising Creationist scientific arguments, not their belief about the Bible. Creationists do not claim their knowledge about the Bible is accessible to science - they in fact claim it must be spiritually revealed. It is the Creationist scientific assertions that are up to scientific scrutiny. Your position would disqualify from science everyone who believed an any god. That's why I doubt you are correct in claiming scientists do so. Maybe Scofflaw can enlighten me?

Hmm. Yes and no. Wicknight is eliding the argument a bit, but there's an essence of truth there. The short answer is 'no', that's not why Creationism is rejected by science - it is rejected because it cannot be proved or disproved by science, and therefore falls outside its scope, because it involves potential miracles and divine intervention. That is to say, it is not rejected by scientific process, but because it cannot be subjected to scientific process. In legal terms, there is 'no case to answer', because the matter is 'outside the law'.

However, if you hold the Bible to be the real truth - the truth above all other truths, if you like - there is a conflict between that belief and scientific investigation.

Imagine, for a moment, that I am a police officer. I know that X is guilty of a murder - and I am in fact right. Will I stick to the rules of investigation as per the police manual, if they are not producing the evidence necessary to convict X? Or will I be tempted to take shortcuts to get to the truth?

Now, I accept that you would say that there is not conflict between what science reveals, and what the Bible says is true - but I'd like you to think for a minute about human fallibility, and the limitations of current technology. Only if you believe that current technology is perfectly sufficient to reveal the full truth about God's Creation can you claim there will never be a conflict between science and the Bible. And only if you believe humans are infallible can you then claim that when faced with a conflict between what science shows and what the Bible teaches, the Bible-believer is not at risk of distorting the science, even unknowingly.

So, the long answer is yes - it is very difficult to do science in the face of one's deepest beliefs and accept the 'wrong' result. You yourself acknowledge this, by claiming it about us.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    If one's beliefs are not supported by the evidence, then one must examine them again. If I saw that science had disproved Genesis, I would have to accept the Bible is not the word of God; and the necessary corollary, that the God of the Bible is unreal.

I would say that because you will not accept that the God of the Bible is unreal, you have to take the Bible as being the Word of God, and in turn, you literally cannot see science disproving Genesis - just as Paul could not see Jesus as the Son of God.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I have seen evidence of the reality of God. I have experienced various answers to prayer. I have seen His power at work in others' lives. So it is not just a matter of imagination.

There you go, then. Science cannot disprove Genesis, because God is already proved.

wolfsbane wrote:
    The wilful gagging of dissent by the scientific establishment is admitted by you all. You justify it on the grounds that Creationism isn't real science, no matter the credentials of those holding it. But such gagging is a conspiracy in my book, even if you are blind to it. It is the equivalent of a religion gagging dissent and claiming to be open to discuss all theology. The dissenters obviously don't do 'real theology'.

Except that Creationism is discussed in scientific circles. Indeed, it akes regular appearances in virtually any discussion in scientific and academic circles. It's just not considered to be science, and so doesn't get to appear in most peer-reviewed journals.

Is this 'gagging dissent'? As I've said before, it can be - and some enthusiastic people have certainly stepped outside the limits. However, rather than being cheered to the echo, they have been fired.

Frankly, I would take your claims of conspiracy and 'gagging dissent' more seriously if:
    a) we were not just talking about getting articles published in peer-reviewed journals;
    b) there were any evidence that Creationists are really trying to get published in peer-reviewed journals, and being rejected wholesale
    c) there wasn't clear evidence of distortion and fabrication by Creationists of scientific evidence - which there undoubtedly is

The whole thing is based on the idea that one can do science while simultaneously accepting that God could have intervened at any point to do something by fiat. One can't.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The religionists could validly gag dissent, insisting on only their theology being accepted. That is what revealed religion is about. But they should not pretend to be open on theology. Science is not about revealed truths, so it is very improper for scientists to behave as if their were purveyors of a religion. I just love that WSJ quote:
    Darwinism, by contrast, is an essential ingredient in secularism, that aggressive, quasi-religious faith without a deity. The Sternberg case seems, in many ways, an instance of one religion persecuting a rival, demanding loyalty from anyone who enters one of its churches--like the National Museum of Natural History. :D

Nice quote - but so wide of the mark as to make it ridiculous. Those who see the world in religious terms assume scientific dissent works like religious dissent, because they cannot see it otherwise. Similarly, those who see the world only in terms of ideologies see scientific dissent as being the same as ideological dissent. Both are wrong, and you are following.
    wolfsbane wrote:

And so do you, as pointed out above.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Walking the Christian path is difficult. If I thought I was deluding myself with pie-in-the-sky, I would take the easy road.

I'm not sure what that would be. You think being an atheist is easy? How would you know?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Creationism isn't really about supporting Christians in their belief about God. It is primarily about removing obstacles from the path of unbelievers. It is also about showing Christians they have no reason to abandon the normal reading of Genesis.

Let me stop you there, and point out the narrowness of your definition of Christian. The majority of Christians do not take Genesis literally, and it seems to be no impediment to their faith.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    If it were only me, I could be content with understanding evolutionists were blinded unbelievers, grasping at any way to avoid the reality of God. I could get on with living the Christian life and never refer to science. But science is being abused by Satan in this past century or so to rubbish the gospel, therefore we engage in this battle.

It's true that people do use science to rubbish the gospel, and that is improper, since science has nothing to say about faith and belief. However, your take is that evolution 'rubbishes' Genesis, which is only true if Genesis should be taken literally.

Your claim is over-broad - it applies to your specific narrow doctrinal interpretation, not the main body of Christianity.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    As I pointed out above, if they suspected it was all false, they have very practical grounds for abandoning the faith.

Oh, come on. You claim that we will not shift our position, despite our 'deep knowledge' that it is false, yet claim that Creationists would abandon theirs 'if they suspected it was false'?

Why not just come straight out and say that we are fortified in our unbelief by Satan?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The real response is more likely to be, Oh look evolution is wrong, that means I will go to hell when I die! Oh no!! What will we do! That is a good reason to suppress the truth of God in their minds.

Again, rubbish. First, it ignores, again, the fact that most scientists are believers, not unbelievers. Second, all we have to do is 'believe on JC' and we're out of the woods. It's not necessary for us to be frightened - the path to salvation is clearly offered by you and your ilk.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Creationists hold to absolute truths concerning what God says about Creation. They do not regard their particular theories - about how it has all worked out since - as absolutes. They differ with other Creationists, they change their minds, they remain unsure, etc.

All part of the glorious untestability of Creationism. Creationists don't actually offer an explanation of what happened, except what it says in Genesis, which is very little. After that, it seems each Creationist has their own pet theory of how the Flood happened - and not one is scientifically testable!
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I know it is true. I don't know everything about it, however. You may continue the mantra that no one can know anything for sure, but I have a surer Witness and experience than you do.

And you're 100% sure that science supports that view, and 100% sure that if it didnt, you wouldn't hold it. Wolfsbane, what can I say - you are like a shining light to us lesser mortals, who dither and worry in the mire of doubt! I salute you.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Well, evolutionists work of the axiom that the universe is billions of years old. Sure, you accept they may be mistaken about that, but such doubt never enters their minds in any of the science they do - so it is for all purposes just as absolute as Genesis is for me.

It wasn't accepted untl recently, and there are still people who claim different ages. Scientific consensus is just that - consensus. Do not try to misrepresent it as the absolutism of faith for your own purposes.

wolfsbane wrote:
    The observed relative stability of man in recorded history.

Eh? We're still evolving. Here.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Just to confirm this new insight of yours - no one who believes in a god has any place in doing science?

Just to clarify that again - no. However, it is likely that someone whose beliefs require science to say certain things will not do good science unless it is science that cannot challenge their beliefs. Perhaps this is why most Creationists are not in the life sciences....
    wolfsbane wrote:
    If you say so. Most evolutionists I have read say the belief in God is not grounds for rejecting Creationism.

But belief that God intervened in those things that make Creationism scientifically testable, makes those things scientifically untestable, and Creationism untestable.

Unless you are prepared to rule all miracles, and all divine intervention, out of your 'scientific interpretation of Genesis', then it isn't a scientific interpretation, because science cannot test it...
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Evolutionists took over the control of the debate and barred continuing discussion.

The eternal complaint of those in the wrong - "it's a conspiracy, it isn't fair, the rules are aginst me, I could've been a contender". Stop whining and do some science.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The disadvantage of atheism is that you must at all costs avoid thinking that God is real and you are damned if you do not repent and trust in Him. That colours your defence of evolution.

What rubbish. We can all abandon evolution at any time for the Creationist version of 'salvation', or any other. It's easy to do, if harder to stick to.

As for me, I don't even deny the possibility of God - I just reject him. I'd still, on balance, prefer him to exist than not, because it would mean that a lot of good people will have not have lived and died futile existences.

While I usually have quite a lot of respect for you, your post showed a great deal of wrong-headed arrogance. Stop preaching at us, wolfsbane. You aren't an atheist, so you think it's easy. You're flat wrong. Science doesn't agree with you, so rather than doing some yourself, you call it all a conspiracy. Flat wrong another time. Finally, you have the arrogance to think you define what a Christian is, and you're flat wrong a final time.

regards,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    lol.
    The thing is, wolfsbane, that even if evolution was disproved somehow, it doesn't make one shred of difference to creationism. Arguing against evolution is a completely different story to arguing for creationism, and disproving one does not prove the other.
    Even if evolution was wrong, you guys still have to:
    1- give positive proof toward creationism beyond "my book says so"
    2- prove why *your* creationism is right as opposed to all the other creation myths.
    So no, "evolution is wrong" most certainly does not even come close to leading to "therefore I'll go to hell".

Scientists demonstrate evolution in tiny world:

http://www.nanowerk.com/news/newsid=1380.php

...and more to the point, control how the bacteria evolve with the aim of evolving bacteria able to generate hydrogen gas very efficiently. And not a deity in sight either, even an invisible one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have to say, that is really cool.
    I want to go to Princeton.

Wolfsbane, please understand that even if evolution was wrong, that would not make creationism right.
    Even if it did, it wouldn't make your flavour of creationism right.

• Advertisement

Scofflaw said:
    I doubt you can prove that claim, although I suspect that doesn't trouble you? Also, this requires 'the establishment' to be the same, and atheist, in every country - are you saying that the 'establishment' in Iran is atheist? Israel? Ireland? The US? The Vatican?

Are you in fact generalising widely from your personal experience of specific parts of the Anglo-Saxon world?
    Yes, I had the West mostly in mind. I can see a similiar mindset being likely in most of the rest of the world, however, as atheism and religious nominalism prevail. Even those who are devout would see the advantage of not rocking the boat in face of the consensus of the Western and Communist heritage. Exceptions exist, especially in those religions that don't fear to question this heritage, e.g. Islam.

I would like to hear what the scientific community in Iran has to say on evolution. Israel is mostly atheist. The scientific community in Ireland, the US, and the Vatican mostly either share either atheism or a fear of facing down atheism in its scientific manifestation (the Theory of Evolution).
    That doesn't negate the point. Your conspiracy requires an establishment that is supra-national.
    It explains why non-conspirators stay silent.
    It is not necessary for you to know anything about geology. If, as Creationists claim, geology 'supports' the Creationist position, then there must be a difference between 'Creationist geology' and 'evolutionist geology'. If there were no difference, then the geological record could not support either position.
    There is geology. Then there are the Creationist and Evolutionist interpretations of it.
    Since this is the case, the findings of those companies most intimately affected by geology, mining and oil companies, would be different if they followed Creationist geology.

If Creationist geology were correct, and evolutionist geology incorrect, the oil or mining company that followed Creationist geology would have a huge advantage over others. None does - do you acclaim them part of the conspiracy?
    I'm wondering just what specifically would a Creationist find that an Evolutionist wouldn't, and vv.
    To be crucified* as a heretic** in science, what you need to do is bad science.
    In real science that would be true, I'm sure. But in ideologically controlled science, doing bad ideology is a crime.
    * where 'crucified' means 'give the cold shoulder at conferences'
    ** where 'heretic' means 'someone you'd cold-shoulder at conferences'
    Yes, I didn't mean physically - at least not yet. A cold-shoulder example I just read of:
    Correspondence w/ Science Journals http://trueorigin.org/behe07.asp
    Again, you are applying the principle of "everyone says they're wrong, so they must be right", or "the minority opinion is the best" - possibly even "I'm mad, so I must be speaking the truth".
    No, just pointing out the real possibility of the exceptions.
    To be honest, that would be equally offensive. The offense is mitigated, of course, by my conviction that you, in turn, are many sandwiches short of a picnic!
    My intention is not to offend, but I realise pointing out one's folly in order save them from it will always be offensive. Being woken by someone screaming 'Fire! Fire!' is disturbing to one's peace, but to a good end.

I also appreciate your view on my sanity, knowing that you seem to be the sort of person who will not forcibly try to rid me of it. :) You may be inthe minority in the future, however. Non-conformist Christianity often ends up being forcibly 're-educated'.

Scofflaw said:
    Spiritually, yes, if full humanity consists in being able to commune with God. Physically, they would have been fully human, of course.
    An interesting concept: mankind begins with a fully human couple, then reverts to human/animal hybrids. Did some of these hybrids get a human nature from their human parent and some not? Now that you mention it, I did read something like this once, in a booklet explaining why the black peoples are not fully human. The Bible of course says the opposite: we are all of one blood. Man is unlike the beasts. So again, the theory is valid for Theistic Evolution, but not for the Bible account of man.
    Er, yes. You are still having difficulty shifting mental gears away from the purely physical descent.
    Yes, I'm having difficulty in seeing your point, Are you saying Noah's family was make up of two distinct peoples - Shem, the fully human and Ham and Japheth, the animals?
    Er, yes. So? Obviously it's God making the running - Man cannot force God to speak to Him - and the very attempt would indicate a low level of spiritual development.
    God did not choose Abram because he possessed a spirit and the others did not.
    Er, yes. Who do parents appeal to? Santa, or the shining example of the kids' great-grandfather, who was an exemplary child...
    Now the Jews of Christ's time were mentally incapable of understanding a plain, 'Thus says the LORD' and needed a fancy story about Adam and Eve to encourage them to remain married. 20/21st century cultural arrogance at its finest!
    What? God said the same thing, whether He chose metaphor or history.

You're extremely committed to physical, literal, and concrete ideas. Does metaphor simply equate to fiction and lies for you?
    Yes, when it is presented as historical fact. Christ used metaphor extensively in the parables, but none of them were presented as historical fact.

wolfsbane wrote:
    An interesting concept: mankind begins with a fully human couple, then reverts to human/animal hybrids. Did some of these hybrids get a human nature from their human parent and some not? Now that you mention it, I did read something like this once, in a booklet explaining why the black peoples are not fully human. The Bible of course says the opposite: we are all of one blood. Man is unlike the beasts. So again, the theory is valid for Theistic Evolution, but not for the Bible account of man.

Yes, I'm having difficulty in seeing your point, Are you saying Noah's family was make up of two distinct peoples - Shem, the fully human and Ham and Japheth, the animals?

God did not choose Abram because he possessed a spirit and the others did not.

You've mistaken me. None were animals, nor does physical heredity have anything to do with spiritual development. All were human, but some were more spiritually developed than others - just as they are today.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Now the Jews of Christ's time were mentally incapable of understanding a plain, 'Thus says the LORD' and needed a fancy story about Adam and Eve to encourage them to remain married. 20/21st century cultural arrogance at its finest!

And the same to you too! Except that you think they needed an actual historical example, because a 'story' wouldn't be strong enough!
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Yes, when it is presented as historical fact. Christ used metaphor extensively in the parables, but none of them were presented as historical fact.

They were presented as stories. Still, let me ask you a question. When Christ referred to the coming of the Kingdom as coming within the life of some of those he was speaking to, do you interpret that literally, or figuratively?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    Yes, I had the West mostly in mind. I can see a similiar mindset being likely in most of the rest of the world, however, as atheism and religious nominalism prevail. Even those who are devout would see the advantage of not rocking the boat in face of the consensus of the Western and Communist heritage. Exceptions exist, especially in those religions that don't fear to question this heritage, e.g. Islam.

I would like to hear what the scientific community in Iran has to say on evolution. Israel is mostly atheist. The scientific community in Ireland, the US, and the Vatican mostly either share either atheism or a fear of facing down atheism in its scientific manifestation (the Theory of Evolution).

It explains why non-conspirators stay silent.

The fact that this belief of yours is structurally identical to every other conspiracy theory I've ever heard, from Elvis to climate change denial, may not bother you, but for me it puts the matter firmly into the tinfoil-hat zone.

Aside from anything else, I actually know, I think, a lot more about (and of) the scientific community in Ireland than you, and your picture won't hang on it.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    There is geology. Then there are the Creationist and Evolutionist interpretations of it.

I'm wondering just what specifically would a Creationist find that an Evolutionist wouldn't, and vv.

Hmm. No, you are slightly in error. There are the rocks, and there is geology, and there is Creationist geology. "Geo logos" - the language, or understanding of, the Earth - it's all interpretation. Indeed, it must be, since we don't actually see the rocks being formed.

Oil companies, and mining companies, aren't drilling into rocks on the basis that they like the colour, or have a hunch. They are drilling on the basis of the interpretation of the rocks.

Take a sequence of sandstones and siltstones, several hundred metres thick. That's the rocks.

Looking at them in detail, a geologist might say "this is a delta sequence of the right age, and with the right thermal history (so many degrees heat for so many millions of years) to be oil-bearing. The delta was covered over by a marine transgression, which should mean that throughout its history the delta sediments have been covered by a layer of mudstones and shales." That's an interpretation.

Or the geologist might say "this is a river floodplain sequence of the right age, and in the right setting, to be carrying sediment from the gold-bearing strata of the hills that were to the south at that time. It has the right degree of meander to have deposited placer gold, so we can look here and here for gold." That's an interpretation, too.

Neither of those interpretations are open to the Creationist - and it is the interpretation that leads to drilling or digging in the right place, not straight observation of the rocks.

So, the sole fact that mining and drilling companies do not use Flood geology, but 'evolutionist' geology, and are successful in digging and drilling, is very telling. It's a practical test of the different interpretations.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    In real science that would be true, I'm sure. But in ideologically controlled science, doing bad ideology is a crime.

Exactly. Now, you have to claim a near-perfect and worldwide conspiracy in order to make mainstream science ideological, but I don't. Creation Science is openly ideological.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Yes, I didn't mean physically - at least not yet. A cold-shoulder example I just read of:
    Correspondence w/ Science Journals http://trueorigin.org/behe07.asp

Hmm. As I said, having articles rejected for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals, when your stance is unscientific, is not evidence of a conspiracy.

Would you claim a conspiracy of Polish-speakers if your French article was rejected for publication in a Polish language journal?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    No, just pointing out the real possibility of the exceptions.

No, you're not. You have repeatedly referred to the 'lone voice' principle, and otherwise implied that you are in the minority because you are right.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    My intention is not to offend, but I realise pointing out one's folly in order save them from it will always be offensive. Being woken by someone screaming 'Fire! Fire!' is disturbing to one's peace, but to a good end.

So too are constant accusations of being a liar or a dupe!
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I also appreciate your view on my sanity, knowing that you seem to be the sort of person who will not forcibly try to rid me of it. :) You may be inthe minority in the future, however.

I would have been in the minority in the quite recent past, as well! Still would be, in many parts of the world...
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Non-conformist Christianity often ends up being forcibly 're-educated'.

Usually by other Christians, though, or with their complicity! I know what you mean, but I don't think 'militant atheism' is the danger it gets painted as, nor can I think of a secular regime that has shipped its non-conformist Christians off to be re-educated. Of course, I am trying to re-educate you myself, but the effort is informal, and reciprocal!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gosimeon

Wolfsbane. If you had no idea whatsoever about the Bible or Christianity or Genesis, and looked at all the facts, would you still feel that the Earth is 6,000 years old and humans were made out of thin air?

If not, then you are letting your personal views get in the way of objective reasoning.

Your argument has no foundation.

wolfsbane wrote:
    If many scientists reject Creationism as unscientific because Creationists assert that they know for certain that the Bible is correct, then they are being very unscientific. They should stick to criticising Creationist scientific arguments, not their belief about the Bible.

No, you are missing the point. Nothing Creationism produces can be trusted because everything Creationism produces is unscientific. If other scientists cannot trust a piece of science then it is useless.

That is even before you get to the fact that none of the Creationist arguments work without first asserting that Genesis is correct.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Creationists do not claim their knowledge about the Bible is accessible to science - they in fact claim it must be spiritually revealed. It is the Creationist scientific assertions that are up to scientific scrutiny.
    Every single Creationists assertion has been rejected by science because it doesn't work as a scientific model. Everything else would have to be wrong, and then science just falls apart.

Not only that but every single Christian Creationist assertion has been rejected by other creationist movements of other religions around the world.

What does that tell us?

That to accept Biblical Creationism you first have to believe that Genesis happened literally. If you don't first believe that then nothing Creationism has ever produce would convince anyone that that is actually true, or even hint at that it might be true.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Your position would disqualify from science everyone who believed an any god.
    No, it disqualifies anyone from science who asserts that something is scientifically supported simply because they believe it is true based on their religious faith. That is not science.

Make no mistake here Wolfsbane, the only thing Creationism has going for it is the Bible. Every single area of science, from geology to astro-physics tells us that a literal reading of Genesis is a incorrect model of what actually happened.

If you remove faith in the Bible then there is absolutely no reason to accept any of the Creationists theories about the Earth. There is no science behind it, the only thing behind it is the Bible.

Put it this way, how many Biblical Creationists do you know who aren't either Jewish, Christian or Muslim? If the "evidence" for Biblical creationism is so over whelming why has it never convinced anyone who isn't already a believer in a literal reading of the Bible?
    wolfsbane wrote:

Science has disproved a literal Genesis, but you refuse to accept this fact because, as you say, your personal identity and spiritual belief system is far too wrapped up in the need for the Bible to be literally correct. Without a literal Bible you would not believe in God, and you would not have the belief that you will have ever lasting life. Therefore you cannot reject this idea under any circumstances, no matter the evidence presented to you.
    wolfsbane wrote:

Well I can't tell either way. I accept that you genuinely believe that what you have experienced is real. But if you were mistaken you wouldn't be aware of that fact, and neither would I. So it is rather immaterial what you think you know, especially considering that you want to believe this is true.

As I said in a previous post, there are very few Creationists who think they are going to hell.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    None that stand up.
    Fair enough... I would question your ability to actually consider the issue rationally in the first place.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    You justify it on the grounds that Creationism isn't real science, no matter the credentials of those holding it.

The credentials of the person is nothing to do with it (though I have never been impressed by any Creationist's credentials so far). It is the strength of the scientific argument that is important.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    But such gagging is a conspiracy in my book, even if you are blind to it.
    Creationists have never been gagged. Even today creationists arguments are repeated in the highest corridors of power across American and Europe. In fact it is the other way around, for the past 150 years evolution and science have had to fight off a large number of attempts to silence it.

At the end of the day Creationism isn't science. You can't get around that fact by simply saying that some scientists are creationists. That doesn't mean anything. If one does not approach a subject in a scientific manner then it isn't science. Creationists do not approach this issue scientifically, therefore it isn't science.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I just love that WSJ quote:
    I imagine you would, considering it was written by David Klinghoffer, a senior fellow at the Discovery Institute a major Creationist organisation in the USA.

I have no doubt Creationists don't like being ignored by the scientific community. I have no doubt that since they genuinely believe they are correct because of their religious faith, they cannot understand why the scientific community isn't confirming their results and telling then that yes the Earth is 6,000 years old and the Bible is correct. And I have no doubt that it is easier for them to imagine that the scientific community is out to get them than to entertain the idea that they could simply be wrong.

None of this is really surprising, that Creationists would support Creationists, and attack science in a uniform manner.
    wolfsbane wrote:

It is hardly an assumption. You have already told me (a few times) that you believe that if the theory of evolution, or any of the current scientific models of the history of the Earth, are true then you would not see a reason to believe in both the Bible and ultimately in God.

Since I seriously doubt you would be willing to even entertain the idea that God doesn't exist, you will naturally reject anything and everything that supports the theory of evolution and all the other scientific models that contradict a literal reading of Genesis, because you have tied up a literal reading of Genesis with your faith in God.

If you have convinced yourself that the difference between rejecting science and accepting science is the difference between an eternal afterlife with a ever loving God and well nothing, I would imagine you will reject science every time, no matter what it is saying.
    wolfsbane wrote:

I imagine the idea of eternal life in heaven makes it a bit easier.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Creationism isn't really about supporting Christians in their belief about God.
    Actually that is exactly what it is about.

Creationists such as yourself connect a literal reading of the Bible with their faith in God. To them the two cannot be split, you cannot reject a literal reading of the Bible without also rejecting your faith in God.

Therefore anything that appears to contract a literal reading of the Bible is seen as contradicting the existence of God Himself. Since, to them, God must exist, what ever this science is, be it the theory of evolution or the dating of the Earth, must be wrong.

People don't like being told that what they believe is wrong, especially when it comes to something as personal as their religious faith. So much of our identity and are hopes for the future are wrapped up in religious faith, anything that appears to challenge that is seen as a threat.

Creationists believe science is attempting to tell them that they are wrong for believe what they believe. You yourself see science as a tool of Satan.

In actual fact the particular religious beliefs of a group of people are completely irrelivent. Science is actually attempting to study how the world appears to work. Nothing more, nothing less.

It is the religious people themselves, be they Christians, Jews, Hindus etc, who take offense at this because more often than not what science discovers does not fit the religious model that these people have.

They think science is telling them that they are wrong, when in fact science is doing nothing of the sort.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Being Christians, that is the only correct view to have.
    Well there you go. You have to be Christian before you can be a Creationist. Does that not hint that Creationism is actually based on religious belief, not in science.
    wolfsbane wrote:

But that is the point. They don't want to abandon the faith. The faith promises them every lasting love and eternal life in heaven. Most people would want that, even to the point of deluding themselves if they think something is casting doubt on that.
    wolfsbane wrote:

But that if evolution is wrong (and it might be) that isn't what that means at all. It simply means that the evolutionary model of life is incorrect.

Evolution has never made a comment on God, heaven or hell. Plenty of Christians, Jews and Muslims are perfectly happy to accept evolution, and to an atheist who doesn't believe in God in the first place heaven and hell don't exist anyway.

The idea that evolution disproves God was ironically invented by Creationists.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Creationists hold to absolute truths concerning what God says about Creation.

That is unscientific because there is no evidence or logic for this beyond the Bible itself. One has to first accept the Bible as being literally true, before they can accept any assertions made from that. That is why Creationism is unscientific.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Indeed.
    But you cannot show it is either way. Saying "I felt God" is pointless, since that itself cannot be supported or disproven. So we have a problem ....
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I know it is true.
    You don't actually know it is true. You believe it is, you think it is, but then you have a reason to believe it is. And I doubt you would be able to tell if it wasn't true. Therefore your personal beliefs on the matter cannot be trusted in the realm of scientific discovery. Other scientists cannot simply accept what you think you know.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    You may continue the mantra that no one can know anything for sure, but I have a surer Witness and experience than you do.

Yes, but for all I know you were having a stroke.

If you cannot demonstrate what you think is true to others then you cannot show it scientifically. Therefore it isn't science.

You are simply asking us to trust you, to trust that you are both telling the truth as far as you are concerned (which I imagine you are), and that you are able to actually determine what the truth is (which I'm less sure about).

There is a reason why in science results must be verifiable by others. It is because you cannot simply accept someone when they say such and such happened. It must be possible to show that it happened to everyone. The reason for this is obvious, people lie, people make mistakes, people believe things that aren't true.

I'm not saying you didn't experience God. The other conclusion to what i said above is that I cannot show you didn't experience God. For all I know, you did.

The point is that in science you cannot just expect people to simply accept what you think happened. That is no science, and that is why Creationism is not science.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Sure, you accept they may be mistaken about that, but such doubt never enters their minds in any of the science they do - so it is for all purposes just as absolute as Genesis is for me.

You are missing the point.

Ignoring that fact that the date of the universe is always being updated, so obviously it is constantly being re-evaluated by scientists, if that date was shown to be wrong tomorrow, and a new more accurate date was put in its place (or we had to go back to "we don't know"), very few scientists would care that much.

Sure it might cause a bit of annoyance if anyone has a theory that works on the assumption of that date, but science would go on as normal. Theories are disprove ALL THE TIME in science. The date of the universe is updated all the time.

If on the other hand you accepted a literal Genesis was wrong tomorrow (and I seriously doubt you ever would) that would be completely devastating to you because you have linked your entire faith to the idea that Genesis isn't wrong.

Therefore you have reason to not accept evidence or theories that conflict with Genesis. Therefore you, and other Creationists, cannot be objective when it comes to science.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The theory behind these designs doesn't tell us the universe is very old.
    Yes they do. Scientists were working out that the Earth, the Sun and the universe must be millions of years old in the 1800s with quite basic (by today's standards) scientific theory. Even basic theories of light and heat tell us that both the Earth and the Sun are millions of years old.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The theory of physics does not tell me the universe is very old (the size of the universe is irrevelant to that question).

Yes actually it does. If the theory of physics is correct the universe is very old, because the theory of physics models that the universe is very old. For the universe to be very young the theory of physics would have to be completely wrong as its predictions and models would also be wrong. And if it was completely wrong it would be rather strange that you could build a computer or a television using predictions and models based on these theories.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The problem is often not so much the theory as what the theorist or his peers extrapolate from it. What theories had you in mind?
    But that is what science is. They extrapolate how your TV is going to work in the same way they extrapolate that the Earth is 4.6 billion years old.

For example the theories of light show that the universe is very old, because the fixed speed of light means we can measure how long it took light from a distant galaxy to reach us. That same theory of light allows Sony to make your TV work so a picture can be displayed. If one is wrong then it would not be possible to get the other to work properly based on that theory.

That is just one in countless examples.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    What problem do you think I have with there being a vast distance between galaxies? What would that tell us about the age of the universe?

It would tell us that it takes a very long time for light to travel from a distant galaxy to us.

The only way Creationists get around this is by simply making things up. Which goes back to my point that Creationists will do anything to avoid having to accept evidence that appears to contradict a literal reading of Genesis.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    No one can know God is real, no one can know the future? Keep your head in the sand if you will, we know different.

You don't know differently. You believe you know differently because you want to. But don't attempt to change the foundations of science just because of your arrogance.
    wolfsbane wrote:

Since God is ultimately outside of what is possible for human science to study there is no problem believing in God and being a scientists, and many of the best scientists do believe in God.

There is a problem however in asserting that Genesis is correct based on religious belief alone and being a scientist, since it is possible to show Genesis is incorrect.
    wolfsbane wrote:

You are right, its not. It is the Creationists assertion that the Bible has to be literally correct that is the grounds for rejecting Creationism, since it is quite easy to show that the Bible is not literally correct.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    That is a lie Wolfsbane. If you really honestly believe that you need to read up on the history of science in the 20th century.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Personal credibility of the scientists; my belief in the Bible; my observation of time's arrow.

The bit I highlighted is ultimately why Creationism is unscientific.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    And I don't turn away from the principles of science. I just object to you abusing them.

You do actually because you believe that the Bible must be correct, and then attempt to bend evidence to fit that assertion. That is unscientific.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I don't expect them to just assume this. I expect them to investigate it for themselves.

How can some investigate a spiritual experience? If you can show me how someone scientifically records such an event I'm all ears.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I come at it from the opposite direction - the possession of eternal life makes me want to glorify God in spreading His word.

It doesn't really matter. At the end of the day you want eternal life in heaven. Which means anything you judge to cast doubt on that you will reject, in the same way that a partner of someone having an affair will convince themselves that nothing is going on.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    What I want you to take from this discussion is that you cannot know that I cannot know.

I do know you cannot know because you are human. If you weren't human you might have a point.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I am fully persuaded that I know the Truth.
    Of course you are. But that is just arrogance on your part. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference either way.
    wolfsbane wrote:

That makes no sense. Evolution doesn't tell us that God isn't real, so why would we atheists be required to believe it. Plenty of Christians accept evolution, so it clearly doesn't say God isn't real. It is only some Creationists who assert the idea that if evolution is real God doesn't exist. That idea is rejected by the vast majority of Christians.

> At the end of the day Creationism isn't science.

Nothing unfalsifiable can ever be called scientific, as has been pointed out before times without number. And "god did it" is the most hand-wavey, most unfalsifiable thing I can think of.

But I do find it interesting that creationists are claiming scientific credentials -- it indicates very clearly that they subconsciously agree that science is something that can be trusted, which is why they are making strenuous efforts to piggy-back a bizarre religious dogma upon its credibility. Look also, at the number of times that JC has claimed scientific credentials, in defiance of his spirited cluelessness!

ps - congrats on a fine long post too, Wicknight. Comes to nine screens on my monitor which must be a non-JC record. Other than this, what on earth has you up doing this at quarter to three in the morning? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Barnabas

A few questions:

Is the book of genesis a scientific manual? Ifwas written as a scientific manual then it must be read as such. If on the other hand it isn't written as a scientific manual (as seems clear from reading it) then it can't be read as if it were.

Why are there two accounts of creation in the book of genesis? Both accounts are different on a number of points. Which one is the right one?

What is the truth which the Book of Genesis wishes to impart to Jews and Christians? (I don't know if muslims would subscribe to the book of Genesis or not)
    It seems clear the principle truth (and the only one that really counts) that is being communicated is that God created all that exists, that he did it in an ordered way and that he took great pleasure in doing it. The details (science) don't seem to square with our scientific outlook today, i.e. science informed as it is by reason (our rationality being one of God's gifts to us and something inherent in our human nature).

The problem as I see itis that the truth of Science which follows reason and the truth of Genesis which appeals to faith might seem tocontradict each other, but since the same God is the author of both reason and faith there should be no discrepancy. If the book of genesis wa a scientific manual then there might well be a difficulty. but I don't think it is a scientific manual but a very beautiful way of communicating a divine truth. Though I'm open to correction on that.

So I'm all in favour of science pursuing its given field of study - the world around us; and who knows in the future it will discover some way to reconcile what appears at the moment to be a contradiction.

As you may guess I am a believer and a creationist in the wider sense. I'm not someone who subscribes to evolution (in the sense which leaves no room for God or reduces the spiritual dimension of man to mere physiological processes or chemically induced delusions).

As a Christian I am more concerned with the truth that God created the world than the intricacies of how he did it. Genesis provides a wonderful vision though, which when reading it is quite inspiring. God spoke and it was!conveys the absolute power of God to the reader - it's done effortlessly. One thing we can all (atheist, theist or Christian) agree on I think is that however we believe the world came into being it certainly is a marvellous and wonderously complex reality which must inspire awe in us. And some of us will thank God for it.!

robindch wrote:
    And "god did it" is the most hand-wavey, most unfalsifiable thing I can think of.

Along with "God told me He did it"
    robindch wrote:
    ps - congrats on a fine long post too, Wicknight. Comes to nine screens on my monitor which must be a non-JC record. Other than this, what on earth has you up doing this at quarter to three in the morning? :)

God inspired me :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Wicknight wrote:
    God inspired me :p
    That's my candidate for post of the year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement