Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Scofflaw
    If I created a robot that could kill, in the foreknowledge that it would kill, and was present during the killing, I have little doubt how I would be judged. You will not judge your God thus, but I will, and have

,,,,,,,,but Adam WASN’T a robot – and Adam used his own free will to sin – and, even then, God provided Mankind with the means of salvation (from Adam’s inherited sin)!!!!:cool:

Originally Posted by J C
    ……but ‘bad traits’ aren’t observed to be lost, they actually build up over time and they also survive in a heterozygous state

Wicknight
    Such as?

……such as practically every homozygous recessive deleterious trait known to science.

…….and isn’t it amazing that practically ALL recessive alleles ARE deleterious

It looks like the Original Perfect Creation was homozygous dominant for all ‘good’ traits.

This is not something you would expect from a random mutation process – where you would expect homozygous dominant traits to be 50:50 good/bad – and not 100% good!!.:D

Wicknight
    If a mutation happens only in one of the organisms, and due to lack of fitness him or any offspring he actually manages to produce have short not very successful lives, how does this "bad" mutation spread across the population?

…but mutations don’t happen in 'only one organism' – and many mutations aren’t expressed until the next generation due to heterozygous masking.
    …….equaly all peers organisms would ALSO be experiencing OTHER predominantly ‘bad’ mutations– and/or passing them on to their offspring as masked heterozygous alleles.
    Without an auto-repair mechanism the deleterious traits would accumulate and start producing homozygous recessives in future generations.

…..but an auto-repair mechanism indicates intelligent design with a knowledge of the ‘correct’ information.:eek:

Wicknight
    The organisms fight for mates, they fight for the chance to reproduce. A organism with a lower fitness will be much less successful at find mates and reproducing, if they actually manage to last that long in the first place.

Sexual selection may not favour the most aggressive or indeed the ‘fittest’ environmentally – thereby frustrating the ‘environment’ as a selector.

Also, what could NS do with various individuals, ALL suffering from DIFFERENT deleterious traits?
    It might be able to select some of the least debilitating conditions – but such a mechanism shows NO potential to account for the high degrees of precise perfection observed in living systems.:cool:

Originally Posted by J C
    Because mutations are PREDOMINANTLY bad

Wicknight
    that is a lie. Please stop lying. The vast vast majority of mutations do very little good or bad.

I am not lying – see the following quote in which Fallen Seraph ALSO accepts that mutation / copying mistakes ARE predominantly BAD

Originally Posted by J C
    The outcome of mistakes is predominantly BAD

Fallen Serpah
    This is undeniable, the outcome of mistakes are predominantly bad. So any creature which had a error which was "bad" would surely die.

.……and I have demonstrated how ‘bad’ mistakes will not necessarily kill the individual concerned , but will build up in a population already afflicted with other deleterious traits – via sexual selection, via natural selection of the least afflicted individuals and by being ‘masked’ in heterozygous offspring.:)

Wicknight
    How JC? How would a mutation in organism that significantly lowers that organisms fitness to survived or mate, spread to the rest of the population of the species?

If it was heterozygous, it WOULDN’T lower the organisms survival or it’s ability to genetically transmit the condition.

Equally, other individuals would be suffering from other deleterious conditions, in a predominantly ‘bad’ mistakes world – and it would become a ‘race to the bottom’ as each succeeding generation became more debilitated – due to the build up of deleterious conditions!!!!

The reason that this doesn’t occur in practice, is because the cellular auto-repair mechanisms eliminate most of the mutations that occur – and NOT because death eliminates these individuals before they reproduce.:)

Wicknight
    There is no such thing as "pre-existing genetic diversity" .. you just made that up.

It is like saying all the books that will ever be written already exist in some pre-existing english diversity, they just have to be written down

There ARE “pre-existing books” at present – and in future new books will be written through an external intelligent input by Humans.

……as there is no external intelligent input currently observed in life – we are ‘stuck’ with the “pre-existing genetic diversity” that already exists!!!

…..and just like books don’t write themselves, living systems don’t Create themselves!!!!:D

Wicknight
    Both those points do not change the fact that it shows you were wrong when you said that any alteration with genetic code will result in death.

Undirected / random changes will result in death or serious debility………….

……..but changes via existing genetic diversity obviously won’t have any deleterious effects – it is just like ‘changing gears’ in a (very) sophisticated ‘gearbox’!!!!

Scofflaw
    Which is to say that they are not doing "Creation Science", but rather mainstream science.

Got it in one, Wicknight – Creation Scientists ARE mainstream scientists who are Creationists!!!!!

Originally Posted by J C
    and WHY may I ask, should we believe radiometric dating to be accurate for supposedly ‘older’ rocks when it produces figures of millions of years for 'young' rocks known to have been formed in the 1950’s????

Scofflaw
    Because we know how that happens, and it's not applicable.

……..of course it is ‘applicable’………

………….if we know that rocks that are radiometrically ‘aged’ at 5 million years old are only 50 years old……..
    ……………HOW do we know that rocks radiometrically ‘aged’ at 500 million years aren’t 5,000 years old??!!!!

Originally Posted by Scofflaw
    'Bulk rock ages' can be very variable

Originally Posted by J C
    ……..i.e useless!!!!!

Scofflaw
    Yup. That's why they're not used for dating, unless the system is known to have been closed throughout its history

……..and the chance that ANY rock system ”has been closed throughout its history” is ZERO!!!

geologists reckon the Grand Canyon (the big hole) as a few thousand years old is true

Originally Posted by J C
    Firstly, a radiometric age of 10,000 years HAS been established for the oldest rocks in the Grand Canyon .
    Secondly, IF the Canyon is only a few thousand years old it could only be cut through the rock layers before they ‘set’ in such a short time – and therefore the rocks are roughly the same age as the Canyon i.e. a few thousand years old also!!!!

Scofflaw
    ...because rivers cannot cut through solid rock, eh?

You have already accepted that the rocks in the Grand Canyon are only about 5,000 years old.
    …………..and a (relatively) small river CANNOT erode a mile deep canyon through solid rock in 5,000 years

…………. so the 5,000 year old Grand Canyon WAS eroded by massive quantities of water cutting through soft sediment layers before they petrified 5,000 years ago!!!!:eek:

Scofflaw
    Varves are a dating mechanism in themselves, in that they can be established as seasonal. Depending on the sediment in question, there may be one or more varves per year.

…….so we have rock layers with millions of ‘varves’ and well-preserved polystrate tree fossils sticking up through the lot!!!!!

…….sounds like the MILLIONS of ‘varves’ were laid down during the year when the tree was buried!!!!

…………and so the number of ‘varves’ bears no relationship to the age of the rock!!!:D

Originally Posted by JC

Scofflaw
    A note to readers. This claim is false. The majority of mutations are neutral and/or trivial, although bad mutations do outnumber the good.

You are confusing mutations (which are almost invariably ‘bad’) with genetic diversity, which is neutral and/or trivial and/or positive…….

……..and the PROOF that Evolutionists ALSO believe MUTATIONS are almost invariably BAD – is their WISE reluctance to be irradiated or to ingest MUTAGENIC chemicals!!!!!!:eek:

Scofflaw
    It's worth noting also that JC has never offered a definition of 'Complex Specified Information'

No definition is required as it is self-explanatory!!!!:)

Schuhart
    I remember as a child every Sunday parroting off with all the rest ‘Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible’. I don’t remember a time limit,

…….but the words CREATOR and MAKER imply a (short) time limit and a perfect Creation – consistent with a literal Genesis……..

…….and the Creeds DON’T even hint at a gradual process of increasing perfection like Evolution!!!!!!

Schuhart
    Clearly the physical method through which things get made is left to human inquiry to discover without any theological hindrance, so long as you accept God as the ultimate maker of all things.

………and Creation Science is discovering that God Created life perfectly and rapidly - exactly like He said He did in Genesis 1.:D

Schuhart
    Either he (God) gives people free will to copulate when they want or he says ‘Get it on, I’ve a soul I need to install in human flesh’. Which is it?

It is not an ‘either/or’ situation!!!

People have the free will to copulate – and produce the body and souls of their children – but God retains ultimate authority over their lives – and those of their children.
    There is an interaction between God’s unlimited Sovereignty and Mankind’s limited Free Will – and we see it in every area of our lives from conception to salvation!!

Originally Posted by JC
    a superficially random process of sexual reproduction – but overseen by God’s omnipotent sovereignty

Schuhart
    Superficially random means no free will.

Our free will ISN’T unlimited – and this is an example of one of the limits on our free will.

We DO have the free will to have sex whenever we decide – but the outcome ISN’T determined by us – but is overseen by God’s omnipotent sovereignty!!!!

Son Goku
    For instance his (JCs) practise of claiming a theory is refuted after one recent observation is unethical practice for a scientist. Do you stand behind that?

……there are many reasons ........
    .......but, in any event, ONE repeatably observable adverse observation IS sufficient to invalidate ANY scientific theory.

…….that IS the Scientific Method!!!!!!

Son Goku
    The details have to be argued. In science the details are the big picture.

……and I have been (successfully) arguing against both the ‘details’ and the ‘big picture’ of Evolution for the past 233 pages!!!!

Originally Posted by gosimeon
    That point by JC about the dinosaur that scientifically scientifically speaking must be relatively very young is true, mind you

Wicknight
    No actually it isn't.

Organic material, such as insects, have been discovered in things like amber from over 150 million years ago (that was the inspiration for Jurassic Park).

Organic material from which DNA is extractible is very recent indeed!!!!

Have a look again at the report on the Dinosaur discovery and the photographs here:-
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2005/0325Dino_tissue.asp

Wicknight
    Its bizarre thought that he is happy for science to classify this creature as a T-Rex, happy for science to observe the material and happy for since to work out it is organic tissue, but when science (the same scientists even) date this thing suddenly he claims they are all idiots making wild unsupported assumptions and not fit to wear a lab coat.

I certainly wouldn’t use such intemperate language about other scientists.
    They are obviously excellent scientists – and I fully respect them.

I have a difference of scientific opinion with them on the age attributed to this partially-fossilised (and apparently historically recent) biological material – and I bear no animosity towards them, as befits all professional relationships!!!!!

Scofflaw
    There are preserved protozoan cells with nuclei from 225Ma old amber - these structures are entirely replaced with resin. There are fossilised graptolite colonies from 400Ma ago which are flexible - but this is a property of the material that has replaced the original, not of well-preserved original material.

Look, we can ‘cut to the chase’ on this one – not only do we have partially fossilised Dinosaurs with recoverable red blood cells in them but we ALSO have organisms alive today whose fossils have been found alongside Dinosaur fossils – and are dated at over 150 million years as a result!!!!:-.
    These creatures are the so-called ‘living fossils’ – and they include the Coelacanth Fish, that was supposedly extinct for over 100 million years and was found ‘alive and well’ and swimming happily off the coast of Africa in 1938.
    Equally, the Wollemi Pine was discovered to be living in a remote canyon in Australia in 1994 - and it was nicknamed the ‘dinosaur tree’ as it had previously been only known from fossils ‘dated’ at around 150 million years old.
    The Crocodile is believed by Evolutionists to have remained COMPLETELY UNCHANGED for over 150 million years.
    Other living fossils include the Salamander, Turtles, and – and practically every creature living today!!!!

More information on this amazing phenomenon can be found here:-
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2/4416livingfossil_tree12-25-2000.asp
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v15/i4/livingfossil.asp
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v26/i2/salamanders.asp
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v17/i2/fossils.asp
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2005/0418turtles.asp
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v16/i1/livingfossils.asp
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v16/i2/fossil.asp
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v17/i4/fossils.asp
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v17/i3/fossils.asp
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v25/i2/gladiator.asp

…….and National Geographic has even reported a Lamprey that “hasn’t hasn't changed much in 360 million years”:-
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/10/061025-lampreys.html

…..and here is an article about the revolution in plant taxonomy as a result of DNA sequencing – but unfortunately (for evolutionists) the evolutionary ‘older’ plants are found in supposedly ‘younger’ rocks!!!:-
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v24/i1/plants.asp

Wicknight
    Interestingly enough Schweitzer is a devout Christian (kinda surprising since Wolfsbane and JC have already told us that all evolutionists are atheists)

WHEN did I say THAT ??

I fully accept that there are many Christians who are Theistic Evolutionists including many Christians who have contributed to this thread – and I fully respect their right to differ with me on the ‘origins question’.

It would be a very ‘dull world’ if everybody agreed on everything – variety is the spice of life, and all that!!!!!

Scofflaw
    As for me, I don't even deny the possibility of God - I just reject him.

………..so perhaps, you reject Creation for the same personal preference reasons???

Scofflaw
    I'd still, on balance, prefer him to exist than not, because it would mean that a lot of good people will have not have lived and died futile existences.

IF God doesn’t exist then EVERYONE will ‘have (ultimately) lived and died futile existences’!!!!!

Bluewolf
    even if evolution was disproved somehow, it doesn't make one shred of difference to creationism. Arguing against evolution is a completely different story to arguing for creationism, and disproving one does not prove the other.
    Even if evolution was wrong, you guys still have to:
    1- give positive proof toward creationism beyond "my book says so"
    2- prove why *your* creationism is right as opposed to all the other creation myths.

You are correct that disproving Evolution doesn’t prove Creation – but it would be a remarkable achievement, and it has been done on this thread!!!!

You are also correct that items 1 and 2 are the (primary) work of Creation Science!!!!

Agreement at last!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

J C wrote:
    …….but the words CREATOR and MAKER imply a (short) time limit and a perfect Creation – consistent with a literal Genesis……..
    If that was true Creation would be static. It’s not. Plus all the stuff that’ll already have been said about billions of years being a short time for an eternal being.
    J C wrote:
    …….and the Creeds DON’T even hint at a gradual process of increasing perfection like Evolution!!!!!!
    They don’t hint at lots of things. I dare say they don’t hint about the moon landings or the Second World War or the invention of Baked Alaska. So what?
    J C wrote:
    ………and Creation Science is discovering that God Created life perfectly and rapidly - exactly like He said He did in Genesis 1.
    I’m not sure that ‘discovering’ is the right word. Say ‘asserting’ and we can agree, and I can forget I ever posted here.
    J C wrote:
    We DO have the free will to have sex whenever we decide – but the outcome ISN’T determined by us – but is overseen by God’s omnipotent sovereignty!!!!
    Feel free to click on this link to get some mood music. I’m the guy with the glasses.

Myself and Mrs Schuhart exercise our free will and commence some Afternoon Delight. After several hours of vigorous coupling, I ejaculate. Millions of spermatosa are now swimming around inside my significant other in search of an egg to fertilise. The availability of such an egg depends on where my beloved stands with regard to her womanly cycle.

Let us assume she’s ripe for impregnation. Are you suggesting that God practices contraception? There’s a divine condom called ‘God’s omnipotent sovereignty’?

Originally Posted by Wicknight
    God inspired me

Asiaprod wrote:
    That's my candidate for post of the year

My candidate for 'post of the year' too!!:D :)

Is this an indication of a 'Pauline Conversion' on your part, Wicknight??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

J C wrote:

Have a look again at the report on the Dinosaur discovery and the photographs here:-

Is that supposed to be a joke?

Dr Schweitzer as already said that Creationists are misrepresenting (she is probably too polite to say "lying about", but I don't mind) her work, saying that it is something it is not.

This is why Answers in Genesis is not taken seriously. They are lying about what Dr. Schweitzer has found in an effort to support their religious beliefs. Based on the information Robin regularly posts about AiG and its founders it isn't really that surprising that they don't have an ethical bone between them, fossilised or otherwise.
    J C wrote:

You don't "fully respect them" JC, you repeat lies about what they have discovered, even despite protests from the scientists themselves.
    J C wrote:
    I have a difference of scientific opinion with them on the age attributed to this partially-fossilised (and apparently historically recent) biological material

You don't have a scientific opinion JC, you aren't a scientist, you have never examined these fossils, and neither has anyone at Answers in Genesis. I doubt you have ever even read any of Dr Schweitzer papers. Those who have actually examined these fossils think your "theories" are nonsense, probably because they are nonsense.

What you do have is a very strong religious belief and an apparent strong lack of scientific ethics. That is not the same thing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    If I created a robot that could kill, in the foreknowledge that it would kill, and was present during the killing, I have little doubt how I would be judged. You will not judge your God thus, but I will, and have

,,,,,,,,but Adam WASN’T a robot – and Adam used his own free will to sin – and, even then, God provided Mankind with the means of salvation (from Adam’s inherited sin)!!!!:cool:

Yes, but God also provided the free will, and the opportunity to sin (why was that tree in Eden?). The analogy I refer to does not require me to program the robot to kill - it only requires me to give it the capacity to do so in the foreknowledge (God's omniscience) that it will do so.
    J C wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    ……but ‘bad traits’ aren’t observed to be lost, they actually build up over time and they also survive in a heterozygous state

Wicknight
    Such as?

……such as practically every homozygous recessive deleterious trait known to science.

…….and isn’t it amazing that practically ALL recessive alleles ARE deleterious

What, like blue eyes, green eyes, red hair, blonde hair, thin lips, lack of extra digits? Have a look here, (and say something amusing).
    JC wrote:
    It looks like the Original Perfect Creation was homozygous dominant for all ‘good’ traits.

This is not something you would expect from a random mutation process – where you would expect homozygous dominant traits to be 50:50 good/bad – and not 100% good!!.:D

Which they're not. Here, again, in case you missed it first time. I do hope you're not putting too much weight on the idea that dominant traits are always good, because the list in the link rather blows that away.
    JC wrote:
    Wicknight
    If a mutation happens only in one of the organisms, and due to lack of fitness him or any offspring he actually manages to produce have short not very successful lives, how does this "bad" mutation spread across the population?

…but mutations don’t happen in 'only one organism' – and many mutations aren’t expressed until the next generation due to heterozygous masking.
    …….equaly all peers organisms would ALSO be experiencing OTHER predominantly ‘bad’ mutations– and/or passing them on to their offspring as masked heterozygous alleles.
    Without an auto-repair mechanism the deleterious traits would accumulate and start producing homozygous recessives in future generations.

Hmm. You're assuming two mutations the same, of course. In the case of recessive mutations that are only detrimental when homozygous, and a relatively limited population, your outline above holds, assuming the mutation manages to become endemic in the population.

So for some mutations, it is only the homozygous recessives who would be preferentially eliminated by natural selection. An example would be Cystic Fibrosis, which has a prevalence rate of 1 in 2500, and a carrier rate of 1 in 25 (both figures for Caucasians).

Where on the other hand the recessive heterozygous mutation carries a benefit - such as sickle cell anaemia - rates of carriers may be up to 40%.
    JC wrote:
    …..but an auto-repair mechanism indicates intelligent design with a knowledge of the ‘correct’ information.:eek:

Well, first, the gene repair mechanisms simply repair to the birth DNA template, not back to some 'perfect' template.

Second, the picture of genetic diseases in the human population looks a lot more like it was produced by your 'deleterious traits would accumulate and start producing homozygous recessives in future generations' model than some kind of perfect auto-repair system provided by God.
    JC wrote:
    Wicknight
    The organisms fight for mates, they fight for the chance to reproduce. A organism with a lower fitness will be much less successful at find mates and reproducing, if they actually manage to last that long in the first place.

Sexual selection may not favour the most aggressive or indeed the ‘fittest’ environmentally – thereby frustrating the ‘environment’ as a selector.

Also, what could NS do with various individuals, ALL suffering from DIFFERENT deleterious traits?
    It might be able to select some of the least debilitating conditions – but such a mechanism shows NO potential to account for the high degrees of precise perfection observed in living systems.:cool:

'High degree of perfection'.

Infants and Infant Deaths (Parents would be candidates for a genetic referral):

* 3-5% of all births result in congenital malformations (Robinson, Linden, 1993)
    * 0.5% of all newborns have a chromosomal abnormality (Robinson, Linden, 1993)
    * 7% of all stillborns have a chromosomal abnormality (Robinson, Linden, 1993)
    * 20-30% of all infant deaths are due to genetic disorders (Berry, et al, 1987)
    * 30-50% of post-neonatal deaths are due to congenital malformations (Koekelman, Pless, 1998)

Children and Adults (age 1 and above)

* 11.1% of pediatric hospital admissions are for children with genetic disorders (Scriver, et al, 1973)
    * 18.5% of pediatric hospitalizations are for children with congenital malformations(Scriver, et al, 1973)
    * 50% of individuals found to have mental retardation have a genetic basis for their disability (Emory, Rimoin, 1990)
    * 12% of adult hospital admissions are for genetic causes (Emory, Rimoin, 1990)
    * 15% of all cancers have an inherited susceptibility (Schneider, 1994)
    * 10% of the chronic diseases (heart, diabetes, arthritis) which occur in the adult populations have a significant genetic component (Weatherall, 1985)

Source.

JC wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C

Wicknight
    that is a lie. Please stop lying. The vast vast majority of mutations do very little good or bad.

I am not lying – see the following quote in which Fallen Seraph ALSO accepts that mutation / copying mistakes ARE predominantly BAD

Originally Posted by J C
    The outcome of mistakes is predominantly BAD

Fallen Serpah
    This is undeniable, the outcome of mistakes are predominantly bad. So any creature which had a error which was "bad" would surely die.

.……and I have demonstrated how ‘bad’ mistakes will not necessarily kill the individual concerned , but will build up in a population already afflicted with other deleterious traits – via sexual selection, via natural selection of the least afflicted individuals and by being ‘masked’ in heterozygous offspring.:)

It is, I'm afraid, irrelevant what Fallen Seraph accepts or not, since scientific truth is not determined by posters on this thread. The majority of scientific papers cite the majority of mutations as neutral.

JC wrote:
    Wicknight
    How JC? How would a mutation in organism that significantly lowers that organisms fitness to survived or mate, spread to the rest of the population of the species?

If it was heterozygous, it WOULDN’T lower the organisms survival or it’s ability to genetically transmit the condition.

Equally, other individuals would be suffering from other deleterious conditions, in a predominantly ‘bad’ mistakes world – and it would become a ‘race to the bottom’ as each succeeding generation became more debilitated – due to the build up of deleterious conditions!!!!

The reason that this doesn’t occur in practice, is because the cellular auto-repair mechanisms eliminate most of the mutations that occur – and NOT because death eliminates these individuals before they reproduce.:)

Same point as above. Humanity has an impressive range of genetic diseases.

JC wrote:
    Wicknight
    There is no such thing as "pre-existing genetic diversity" .. you just made that up.

It is like saying all the books that will ever be written already exist in some pre-existing english diversity, they just have to be written down

There ARE “pre-existing books” at present – and in future new books will be written through an external intelligent input by Humans.

……as there is no external intelligent input currently observed in life – we are ‘stuck’ with the “pre-existing genetic diversity” that already exists!!!

…..and just like books don’t write themselves, living systems don’t Create themselves!!!!:D

Indeed not. They evolve.

JC wrote:
    Wicknight
    Both those points do not change the fact that it shows you were wrong when you said that any alteration with genetic code will result in death.

Undirected / random changes will result in death or serious debility………….

……..but changes via existing genetic diversity obviously won’t have any deleterious effects – it is just like ‘changing gears’ in a (very) sophisticated ‘gearbox’!!!!

Hmm. I seem to remember saying that you would make this claim, since it allows you to accept mutation, speciation, and a variety of other things, while claiming that the good derives from 'pre-existing genetic diversity', while the bad results from 'random mutation'.

Where is the 'pre-existing genetic diversity' information stored, JC?

JC wrote:
    Scofflaw
    Which is to say that they are not doing "Creation Science", but rather mainstream science.

Got it in one, Wicknight – Creation Scientists ARE mainstream scientists who are Creationists!!!!!

You are slightly confused there! Well, I'm glad you accept the point - so I hope we'll hear less about this non-existent 'Creation Science', then?

JC wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    and WHY may I ask, should we believe radiometric dating to be accurate for supposedly ‘older’ rocks when it produces figures of millions of years for 'young' rocks known to have been formed in the 1950’s????

Scofflaw
    Because we know how that happens, and it's not applicable.

……..of course it is ‘applicable’………

………….if we know that rocks that are radiometrically ‘aged’ at 5 million years old are only 50 years old……..
    ……………HOW do we know that rocks radiometrically ‘aged’ at 500 million years aren’t 5,000 years old??!!!!

By using the data properly.

JC wrote:
    'Bulk rock ages' can be very variable

Originally Posted by J C
    ……..i.e useless!!!!!

Scofflaw
    Yup. That's why they're not used for dating, unless the system is known to have been closed throughout its history

……..and the chance that ANY rock system ”has been closed throughout its history” is ZERO!!!

Not really. Many rocks are effectively impervious to water and other fluids, so have suffered no alteration after crystalisation.

JC wrote:
    geologists reckon the Grand Canyon (the big hole) as a few thousand years old is true

Originally Posted by J C
    Firstly, a radiometric age of 10,000 years HAS been established for the oldest rocks in the Grand Canyon .
    Secondly, IF the Canyon is only a few thousand years old it could only be cut through the rock layers before they ‘set’ in such a short time – and therefore the rocks are roughly the same age as the Canyon i.e. a few thousand years old also!!!!

Scofflaw
    ...because rivers cannot cut through solid rock, eh?

You have already accepted that the rocks in the Grand Canyon are only about 5,000 years old.
    …………..and a (relatively) small river CANNOT erode a mile deep canyon through solid rock in 5,000 years

…………. so the 5,000 year old Grand Canyon WAS eroded by massive quantities of water cutting through soft sediment layers before they petrified 5,000 years ago!!!!:eek:

Mmm, no. I haven't mentioned a date, let alone one of 5000 years. Reading around, the age of the Canyon feature appears to be measured in millions (5-6 MY), rather than thousands, of years. I have no idea where you get the idea that a 'radiometric date of 10,000 years' has been established for the oldest rocks - the oldest rocks exposed are the 2 billion year old Vishnu Formation.

You couldn't cut something as deep as the Grand Canyon in soft sediment, because the walls would collapse, and you'd have the 'Grand Basin'. In addition, cut-through of soft sediment leaves entirely different evidence from erosion of hard rocks.
    JC wrote:
    Scofflaw
    Varves are a dating mechanism in themselves, in that they can be established as seasonal. Depending on the sediment in question, there may be one or more varves per year.

…….so we have rock layers with millions of ‘varves’ and well-preserved polystrate tree fossils sticking up through the lot!!!!!

…….sounds like the MILLIONS of ‘varves’ were laid down during the year when the tree was buried!!!!

…………and so the number of ‘varves’ bears no relationship to the age of the rock!!!:D

I'd certainly be interested to see varves piled up around a tree, given that varves are characteristic of deep glacial lakes...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

J C wrote:
    Originally Posted by JC

Scofflaw
    A note to readers. This claim is false. The majority of mutations are neutral and/or trivial, although bad mutations do outnumber the good.

You are confusing mutations (which are almost invariably ‘bad’) with genetic diversity, which is neutral and/or trivial and/or positive…….

……..and the PROOF that Evolutionists ALSO believe MUTATIONS are almost invariably BAD – is their WISE reluctance to be irradiated or to ingest MUTAGENIC chemicals!!!!!!:eek:

Ah, the claim in full, backed up by a tabloid-style assertion. Now if only we could expose ourselves to 'genetic-diversity-causing agents'...
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    It's worth noting also that JC has never offered a definition of 'Complex Specified Information'

No definition is required as it is self-explanatory!!!!:)

Yup. That's what I said.
    J C wrote:
    Schuhart
    Clearly the physical method through which things get made is left to human inquiry to discover without any theological hindrance, so long as you accept God as the ultimate maker of all things.

………and Creation Science is discovering that God Created life perfectly and rapidly - exactly like He said He did in Genesis 1.:D

Oh come - we've already established that 'Creation Science' doesn't exist, and you've admitted it. Mainstream science has certainly not 'discovered' the above, so that leaves only your bottomless imagination as a source.
    J C wrote:
    Schuhart
    Either he (God) gives people free will to copulate when they want or he says ‘Get it on, I’ve a soul I need to install in human flesh’. Which is it?

It is not an ‘either/or’ situation!!!

People have the free will to copulate – and produce the body and souls of their children – but God retains ultimate authority over their lives – and those of their children.
    There is an interaction between God’s unlimited Sovereignty and Mankind’s limited Free Will – and we see it in every area of our lives from conception to salvation!!

So does He or doesn't He?
    J C wrote:
    Originally Posted by JC
    a superficially random process of sexual reproduction – but overseen by God’s omnipotent sovereignty

Schuhart
    Superficially random means no free will.

Our free will ISN’T unlimited – and this is an example of one of the limits on our free will.

In essence, then, He interferes all the time. JC, you've already accepted mutations, speciation, all that - why not just become a Theistic Evolutionist? That's effectively the position you're asserting by asserting that God chooses the outcome of mating.
    J C wrote:
    Son Goku
    For instance his (JCs) practise of claiming a theory is refuted after one recent observation is unethical practice for a scientist. Do you stand behind that?

……there are many reasons ........
    .......but, in any event, ONE repeatably observable adverse observation IS sufficient to invalidate ANY scientific theory.

…….that IS the Scientific Method!!!!!!

One repeatable observation that cannot be explained means that the theory is not complete. In some cases, it may be something that requires 'rebuilding the theory from the ground up', but not usually.
    J C wrote:
    Son Goku
    The details have to be argued. In science the details are the big picture.

……and I have been (successfully) arguing against both the ‘details’ and the ‘big picture’ of Evolution for the past 233 pages!!!!

I'm so glad you feel that's what's happening.
    J C wrote:
    Originally Posted by gosimeon
    That point by JC about the dinosaur that scientifically scientifically speaking must be relatively very young is true, mind you

Wicknight
    No actually it isn't.

Organic material, such as insects, have been discovered in things like amber from over 150 million years ago (that was the inspiration for Jurassic Park).

Always the same source. Neither you nor wolfsbane seem to post much from anywhere else. Has it ever occurred to you that AiG might be less than totally neutral?
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    Its bizarre thought that he is happy for science to classify this creature as a T-Rex, happy for science to observe the material and happy for since to work out it is organic tissue, but when science (the same scientists even) date this thing suddenly he claims they are all idiots making wild unsupported assumptions and not fit to wear a lab coat.

I certainly wouldn’t use such intemperate language about other scientists.

I have a difference of scientific opinion with them on the age attributed to this partially-fossilised (and apparently historically recent) biological material – and I bear no animosity towards them, as befits all professional relationships!!!!!

What Wicknight said.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    There are preserved protozoan cells with nuclei from 225Ma old amber - these structures are entirely replaced with resin. There are fossilised graptolite colonies from 400Ma ago which are flexible - but this is a property of the material that has replaced the original, not of well-preserved original material.

Look, we can ‘cut to the chase’ on this one – not only do we have partially fossilised Dinosaurs with recoverable red blood cells in them but we ALSO have organisms alive today whose fossils have been found alongside Dinosaur fossils – and are dated at over 150 million years as a result!!!!:-.

I prophesy that you are about to say a number of very stupid things...
    J C wrote:
    These creatures are the so-called ‘living fossils’ – and they include the Coelacanth Fish, that was supposedly extinct for over 100 million years and was found ‘alive and well’ and swimming happily off the coast of Africa in 1938.

Yes. Those wouldn't be the same ones that got fossilised though. You do understand that subtle distinction, I'm sure.
    J C wrote:
    Equally, the Wollemi Pine was discovered to be living in a remote canyon in Australia in 1994 - and it was nicknamed the ‘dinosaur tree’ as it had previously been only known from fossils ‘dated’ at around 150 million years old.

Yeeeeess? And? Ginkgo trees are also 'living fossils'. Er, and again, these wouldn't be, you know, exactly the same individual trees as were fossilised.
    J C wrote:
    The Crocodile is believed by Evolutionists to have remained COMPLETELY UNCHANGED for over 150 million years.

Yes. And?
    J C wrote:
    Other living fossils include the Salamander, Turtles, and – and practically every creature living today!!!!

And woop! Over the wall to la-la land we go. From the observation that some species have remained similar through millions of years to an assertion that the same is true of 'practically every creature living today'...
    J C wrote:

Hurrah! One reference not from AiG!
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    Interestingly enough Schweitzer is a devout Christian (kinda surprising since Wolfsbane and JC have already told us that all evolutionists are atheists)

WHEN did I say THAT ??

I fully accept that there are many Christians who are Theistic Evolutionists including many Christians who have contributed to this thread – and I fully respect their right to differ with me on the ‘origins question’.

It would be a very ‘dull world’ if everybody agreed on everything – variety is the spice of life, and all that!!!!!

I think that's fair. Wolfsbane is the one who asserts that those who don't accept the literal truth of Genesis cannot be Christians.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    As for me, I don't even deny the possibility of God - I just reject him.

………..so perhaps, you reject Creation for the same personal preference reasons???

Not really. At the time I 'rejected God', I had never even considered taking Genesis literally. I would see its literal truth as something that can stand or fall on its own merits.

Aside from anything else, my belief that the Bible was written by men certainly does not automatically preclude either Creation or the Flood from being literally true, either wholly or in part. The likelihood of some guys back in the earlies getting the origin of life right was low, but there's no a priori reason for thinking the Flood is unlikely - it could well have been part of the oral history of the region.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    I'd still, on balance, prefer him to exist than not, because it would mean that a lot of good people will have not have lived and died futile existences.

IF God doesn’t exist then EVERYONE will ‘have (ultimately) lived and died futile existences’!!!!!

From the point of view of a believer in a non-existent Deity, that would be true. 'Futile' is an irrelevant concept.
    J C wrote:
    Bluewolf
    even if evolution was disproved somehow, it doesn't make one shred of difference to creationism. Arguing against evolution is a completely different story to arguing for creationism, and disproving one does not prove the other.
    Even if evolution was wrong, you guys still have to:
    1- give positive proof toward creationism beyond "my book says so"
    2- prove why *your* creationism is right as opposed to all the other creation myths.

You are correct that disproving Evolution doesn’t prove Creation – but it would be a remarkable achievement, and it has been done on this thread!!!!

You are also correct that items 1 and 2 are the (primary) work of Creation Science!!!!

Agreement at last!!:D

Oh, I think we all agree what you should be doing, JC.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Scofflaw said:
    Wolfsbane is the one who asserts that those who don't accept the literal truth of Genesis cannot be Christians.
    Just a quickie, as I'm pressed for time, but I want to point out the above is totally false. There are true Christians who hold to Theistic Evolution.

My contention is that they have no Biblical case for doing so, and their hermeneutic permits a denial of the literal nature of the virgin conception of Christ, His death and resurrection, His second coming, etc. It is therefore not surprising that TE is also held by many false Christians.

wolfsbane wrote:
    My contention is that they have no Biblical case for doing so, and their hermeneutic permits a denial of the literal nature of the virgin conception of Christ, His death and resurrection, His second coming, etc. It is therefore not surprising that TE is also held by many false Christians.

Firstly you have repeatable stated that there is an atheist conspiracy within science to promote evolution and to silence other theories, and that evolution was invented by atheists in an attempt to covertly convert people to atheism. So far you have presented no evidence for this theory beyond the fact that Creationism is not taken seriously by the scientific community.

Secondly the vast vast majority of Christians would state there is no need for a Biblical case for evolution since the Old Testament is not a literal account of history and was never meant to be read as such.

Thirdly many Christians would hold that someone who rejects the nature around him, reject the evidence around him in doing so rejects God out of arrogance, and is in fact the false Christian. The Bible is after all simply a book. God doesn't exist in the pages of Bible, He is supposed to exist the universe around us.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Scofflaw said:

Just a quickie, as I'm pressed for time, but I want to point out the above is totally false. There are true Christians who hold to Theistic Evolution.

Sorry - my misinterpretation! How does one tell the difference?

apologies,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> The Bible is after all simply a book. God doesn't exist in the pages
    > of Bible, He is supposed to exist the universe around us.

Strangely, the bible isn't seen simply as a book written on paper by men, but rather a document whose contents are infallible -- there's a subtle but important difference between the two. The same difference can be seen in some creationists' assertions that they have been visited by their god and have received some special communication -- BC said that his communication was made to him directly, bypassing the normal human external and interpretative senses and was therefore infallible too; I think wolfsbane said something similar too fairly recently.

It boils down to whether a creationist can trust the input from his(*) own senses and thought processes more than he can trust his own intellect in processing somebody else's thoughts on evidence. And since a creationist can legitimately (to himself) deny that his own senses and thought processes have anything to do with the conclusion reached, it then becomes quite easy to deny that anybody else has anything worthwhile to contribute, especially if it might suggest that the creationist's reasoning is slightly less than bullet-proof.

It's a nice example of a positiv feedback loop.

(*) I am of course including female creationists in this too.

robindch wrote:
    Strangely, the bible isn't seen simply as a book written on paper by men, but rather a document whose contents are infallible -- there's a subtle but important difference between the two.

Oh i appreciate that.

My point was more that some fundamentalists Christians (and Jews and Muslims) seem to spend all their time living within their holy book, largely ignoring the world that God is supposed to have created for them to enjoy.

They seem to forget that the holy book is only a part of the religion, it isn't the religion itself. I always amazes me when theists say that if they didn't believe in their holy book (be it the Bible, Qur'an or whatever) then they would not believe in their God. To me that is bizarre way of viewing the religion. Surely it must be the other way around.

If one focuses completely on what is written in there particular holy book at the expense of observing and understanding the universe around them, that is supposed to have been created for them, it seems that such an act would be forsaking the experience that their god is supposed to have given them, and as such is going against what is supposed to be the actual point of the religion in the first place.

It is missing the forest for the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Scofflaw said:
    Sorry - my misinterpretation! How does one tell the difference?

apologies,
    Scofflaw
    Apologies accepted. :)

The difference ( I take you to mean between between TEers who are genuine Christians and those who are not) is determined by what they do with the rest of Scripture.

The false believers will be happy to follow through with metaphorising any of the supernatural accounts - the virgin conception of Christ, His resurrection, for example. The true believer will not do so, even if their hermeneutic has no defence against it, because they know this is the essence of the gospel, the truth God has revealed to their hearts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gosimeon

wolfsbane wrote:
    Scofflaw said:

The difference ( I take you to mean between between TEers who are genuine Christians and those who are not) is determined by what they do with the rest of Scripture.

The false believers will be happy to follow through with metaphorising any of the supernatural accounts - the virgin conception of Christ, His resurrection, for example. The true believer will not do so, even if their hermeneutic has no defence against it, because they know this is the essence of the gospel, the truth God has revealed to their hearts.

Exactly. Believing in Creation is not a corner stone of the Christian faith. I can't stand it when non-creationist Christians are called unfaithful or compromised Christians.

Judge not.....

wolfsbane wrote:
    the virgin conception of Christ
    What? I thought it was well-known that "virgin" was a mistranslation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gosimeon

bluewolf wrote:
    What? I thought it was well-known that "virgin" was a mistranslation...

That's debatable, it could technically mean either in the original translation I think, and in the context of the messsiah - it would mean Virgin.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Scofflaw said:

So, if might be so bold, for you, not taking Genesis literally leads inexorably (and logically) to not taking the rest literally. Which in turn suggests that you are a Creationist because you are a Christian, rather than the reverse.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

A post worthy of this thread

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- Deep in the dusty, unlit corridors of Kenya's national museum, locked away in a plain-looking cabinet, is one of mankind's oldest relics: Turkana Boy, as he is known, the most complete skeleton of a prehistoric human ever found.

But his first public display later this year is at the heart of a growing storm -- one pitting scientists against Kenya's powerful and popular evangelical Christian movement. The debate over evolution vs. creationism -- once largely confined to the United States -- has arrived in a country known as the cradle of mankind.

"I did not evolve from Turkana Boy or anything like it," says Bishop Boniface Adoyo, head of Kenya's 35 evangelical denominations, which he claims have 10 million followers. "These sorts of silly views are killing our faith."

He's calling on his flock to boycott the exhibition and has demanded the museum relegate the fossil collection to a back room -- along with some kind of notice saying evolution is not a fact but merely one of a number of theories.

Against him is one of the planet's best-known fossil hunters, Richard Leakey, whose team unearthed the bones at Nariokotome in West Turkana, in the desolate, far northern reaches of Kenya in 1984.

"Whether the bishop likes it or not, Turkana Boy is a distant relation of his," Leakey, who founded the museum's prehistory department, told The Associated Press. "The bishop is descended from the apes and these fossils tell how he evolved."

Among the 160,000 fossils due to go on display is an imprint of a lizard left in sedimentary rock, dating back 200 million years, at a time when the Earth's continents were only beginning to separate.

Dinosaur fossils and a bone from an early human ancestor, dating back 7 million years, will also be on show along with the bones of short-necked giraffes and elephants whose tusks protrude from their lower jaws.

They provide the clearest and unrivaled record yet of evolution and the origins of man, say scientists.

But the highlight will be the 5-foot-3 Turkana Boy, who died at age 12 and whose skeleton had been preserved in marshland before its discovery.

It will form the center stage of the exhibition to be launched in July following a $10.5 million renovation of the National Museums of Kenya, financed by the European Union. The EU says it has no concerns over the displays and that the museum was free to exhibit what it wished.

Followers of creationism believe in the literal truth of the Genesis account in the Bible that God created the world in six days. Bishop Adoyo believes the world was created 12,000 years ago, with man appearing 6,000 years later. He says each biblical day was equivalent to 1,000 Earth years.

Adoyo's evangelical coalition is the only religious group voicing concern about the exhibition.

Leakey fears the ideological spat may provoke an attack on the priceless collection, one largely found during the 1920s by his paleontologist parents, Louis and Mary Leakey, who passed their fossil-hunting traditions on to him.

The museum, which attracts around 100,000 visitors a year, is taking no chances.

Turkana Boy will be displayed in a private room, with limited access and behind a glass screen with 24-hour closed-circuit TV. Security guards will be at the entrance.

"There are issues about the security," said Dr. Emma Mbua, the head of paleontology at the museum. "These fossils are irreplaceable and we wouldn't want anything to happen to them."

Insurance coverage could run into millions of dollars, she added.

Mbua, a Protestant, is a little taken aback at the controversy but has no problems reconciling her own faith to the scientific evidence.

"Evolution is a fact," adds Mbua, who has run the department for the last five years.

"Turkana Boy is our jewel," she said. "For the first time, we will be taking him out of the strong room and showing our heritage to the world."

Asiaprod wrote:
    "I did not evolve from Turkana Boy or anything like it," says Bishop Boniface Adoyo, head of Kenya's 35 evangelical denominations, which he claims have 10 million followers. "These sorts of silly views are killing our faith."

He's calling on his flock to boycott the exhibition and has demanded the museum relegate the fossil collection to a back room -- along with some kind of notice saying evolution is not a fact but merely one of a number of theories.

Ignorance is bliss as they say ....

"Lets burn down the observatory so this can never happen again!" - Moe the bartender
    (from "The Simpsons" after a comet nearly destroyed Springfield)

I wonder if this would be useful...
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/views.gif

• Advertisement

Talk Origin is great

I with Creationists who post here (yes you JC and Wolfsbane), would check there "facts" against this web page before they post here. It would save a lot of time :)

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html

On the topic of ignored websites, it's kinda weird -- hey, that's why we're here! -- but even though all the evolution-heads here regularly slag off creationist über-marketroid Ken Ham and his trained baboons in AiG, JC and wolfsbane still regularly link us to AiG's drooping and half-assed ramblings. It's almost like they haven't noticed that we say that AiG are part of the problem, not part of the solution!

Anyhow, this Sunday is "Evolution Sunday" where Darwin's contribution to the sum of human knowledge will be acknowledged from pulpits and altars across the world, rather than being lied about.

Even the great (honorary) Doctor Ham was so moved by the event, that he felt able to write about it yesterday:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2007/0208evolution-sunday.asp

...but sadly, he wasn't so moved that he could write anything new, as all he's been able to do is to copy last year's rant. The "war between Christianity and secular humanism" that he says was "really heating up" this time last year, must still be looking for that vital, but strangely elusive, extra degree or two that will make anybody outside his splendidly clueless marketing-base, do anything but laugh at him and his silly mutton-chops.

robindch wrote:
    It's almost like they haven't noticed that we say that AiG are part of the problem, not part of the solution!

More probably they have, but feel that the reverse is true - that AiG is part of the solution.

However, it should still concern them that they are getting 90%+ of their information from one website/organisation. That is simply never a good sign - it suggests the "party line" problem.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

> More probably they have, but feel that the reverse is true - that AiG is part
    > of the solution.

Indeed, but it still mystifies me that they quote AiG to us -- can't understand it, after all we've written slagging them off. Have they not noticed that we think he's a buffoon and we may be a trifle unlikely to believe anything he says?

> However, it should still concern them that they are getting 90%+ of their
    > information from one website/organisation.

...which I presume they're funding too. Yes, it should worry them, but it doesn't because they can't accept that they could be wrong. And if you're perfectly right yourself, and somebody is supplying you with information which agrees with you, then it doesn't matter who controls your information supply -- you'll agree without thinking, which is what it's really all about! Instant marketing success!

> That is simply never a good sign - it suggests the "party line" problem.

It's worth reading the last line of the pompous AiG Statement of Faith
    No apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record.
    Hasn't, for example, wolfsbane noticed that this kind of legalistic, thought-control is exactly the kind of thing that he thinks is happening with Sternberg et al?

When I read things like this, I recall a thought I had some time ago which seems to be pretty much axiomatic within the religious industry: Any time a religion talks about itself, it's lying.

robindch wrote:
    > More probably they have, but feel that the reverse is true - that AiG is part
    > of the solution.

Indeed, but it still mystifies me that they quote AiG to us -- can't understand it, after all we've written slagging them off. Have they not noticed that we think he's a buffoon and we may be a trifle unlikely to believe anything he says?

Probably, but since we're wrong, our opinion is hardly reliable. Bear in mind that a lot of this thread is oriented towards the silent readers, rather than one's 'oponents'.
    robindch wrote:
    > However, it should still concern them that they are getting 90%+ of their
    > information from one website/organisation.

...which I presume they're funding too. Yes, it should worry them, but it doesn't because they can't accept that they could be wrong. And if you're perfectly right yourself, and somebody is supplying you with information which agrees with you, then it doesn't matter who controls your information supply -- you'll agree without thinking, which is what it's really all about! Instant marketing success!

Exactly - AiG is 'right', so why worry?
    robindch wrote:
    > That is simply never a good sign - it suggests the "party line" problem.

It's worth reading the last line of the pompous AiG Statement of FaithHasn't, for example, wolfsbane noticed that this kind of legalistic, thought-control is exactly the kind of thing that he thinks is happening with Sternberg et al?

As you say, I'm slightly surprised that wolfsbane won't follow the logic fully here. I assume, to be fair, that he views the above as simply a statement of the truth - evidence cannot contradict Scripture.

However, it is unlike him not to follow the logic through, and see that someone who agrees to the statement could not find evidence that contradicted Scripture, since that evidence would automatically be deemd false even if it was correct.
    robindch wrote:
    When I read things like this, I recall a thought I had some time ago which seems to be pretty much axiomatic within the religious industry: Any time a religion talks about itself, it's lying.

Hmm. Pithy.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    As you say, I'm slightly surprised that wolfsbane won't follow the logic fully here. I assume, to be fair, that he views the above as simply a statement of the truth - evidence cannot contradict Scripture.

However, it is unlike him not to follow the logic through, and see that someone who agrees to the statement could not find evidence that contradicted Scripture, since that evidence would automatically be deemd false even if it was correct.

Well the problem is that Wolfsbane has stated that God himself has told him that the Bible is literal.

Therefore since God doesn't lie (which by the way God also told him), he knows that no evidence can contradict Scripture, because God has told him that.

Its kinda hard to argue with someone who thinks God talks to him and tells him things. Just look at the trouble with Joan of Ark. Or Tom Cruise...

The problem that he fails to understand is that such an assertion on your own infalibility invalids you for science. You cannot do or be part of science if you refuse to recognise that you might be wrong.

Originally Posted by J C

Schuhart
    If that was true Creation would be static. It’s not..

……but God doesn’t DIRECTLY CREATE life anymore!!!!

Schuhart
    Plus all the stuff that’ll already have been said about billions of years being a short time for an eternal being

Yes, indeed from God’s doubly ETERNAL perspective billions of years would be a short time.

……but the Genesis account wasn’t written FOR God – but BY God for a time-subject Humanity.

……….and when God is addressing people (for whom one thousand years is 365,250 days), the distinction between days and billions of years is very real – and important!!!:D

Originally Posted by J C

Schuhart
    They don’t hint at lots of things. I dare say they don’t hint about the moon landings or the Second World War or the invention of Baked Alaska. So what?
    The Creeds are Articles of Faith on the ‘origins question’ when they proclaim that God is “creator/maker of heaven and earth”.

The Second World War or Baked Alaska aren’t mentioned in the Creeds because they aren’t required Articles of Faith of the Episcopal Christian Churches.:D

Originally Posted by J C
    ………and Creation Science is discovering that God Created life perfectly and rapidly - exactly like He said He did in Genesis 1.

Schuhart
    I’m not sure that ‘discovering’ is the right word. Say ‘asserting’ and we can agree, and I can forget I ever posted here.

………but Creation Science is not only DISCOVERING that God Created life perfectly and rapidly – it is also forensically PROVING that this is the case, as well!!!:cool:

Originally Posted by J C

Schuhart
    Myself and Mrs Schuhart exercise our free will and commence some Afternoon Delight. After several hours of vigorous coupling, I ejaculate.

… Eh, Em….Quite.....!!!:eek: :D

Schuhart
    Millions of spermatosa are now swimming around inside my significant other in search of an egg to fertilise. The availability of such an egg depends on where my beloved stands with regard to her womanly cycle.

Let us assume she’s ripe for impregnation. Are you suggesting that God practices contraception? There’s a divine condom called ‘God’s omnipotent sovereignty’?

Our conception is via an overtly random process of sexual reproduction – but overseen by God’s omnipotent sovereignty.

People have the free will to copulate – and produce children – but God retains ultimate authority over their lives – and those of their children. There is an interaction between God’s unlimited Sovereignty and Mankind’s limited Free Will – and we see it in every area of our lives from conception to salvation!!

Our free will ISN’T unlimited – and sexual reproduction is an example of one of the limits on our free will.

Schuhart
    but God also provided the free will, and the opportunity to sin (why was that tree in Eden?). The analogy I refer to does not require me to program the robot to kill - it only requires me to give it the capacity to do so in the foreknowledge (God's omniscience) that it will do so.

The opportunity to sin is the ‘flip side’ of free will – otherwise it wouldn’t be free will, but pre-programmed behaviour.

God has full sovereignty – and He has overview that we lack.

God did say in Gen 6:6 that He regretted ever creating Mankind, such was the deplorable behaviour of nearly everyone on Earth at the time, just before the Flood.

However, I for one, thank God for allowing me to be born and for saving me to spend an eternity with Him in Heaven.

Scofflaw
    I do hope you're not putting too much weight on the idea that dominant traits are always good, because the list in the link rather blows that away.

…….but dominant traits are almost always ‘good’ – or provide variety - and practically ALL deleterious alleles for genetic diseases are recessive.

Some examples of the recessive alleles which are not deleterious but provide variety in humans are as follows:

· Eye colour: The allele for brown eyes is dominant to the recessive a allele for grey, blue / green eyes.
    · Attached earlobes: The allele for free earlobes is dominant to the recessive a allele for attached earlobes.
    · Tongue rolling: The R allele enables one to roll their tongue into a U shape and is dominant to the r allele (these persons lack this ability).
    · Hitchhiker’s thumb: People who can bend the last joint of their thumb back to an angle of 60 degrees or more have the recessive allele h and those who cannot have the dominant allele, H.
    · Bent little finger: A person with the dominant allele B can lay their hands flat on a table and while relaxed are able to bend the last joint of the little finger toward the fourth finger. Those with the recessive allele b cannot do this.
    · Interlacing fingers: People with the C allele can cross their left thumb over their right thumb when they interlace their fingers. The C allele is dominant over the c allele, which results in the person normally crossing their right thumb over their left.
    · PTC tasting: Those with this the dominant allele T trait can detect a bitter taste in paper impregnated with phenylthiocarbamide (PTC) when they chew on it for a few seconds. Those persons with the recessive allele cannot taste this chemical.
    · Widow’s peak: The W allele (for widow’s peak, a pointed hairline) is dominant to the allele which produces a straight hairline.
    · The A B Blood Groups are dominant to the O Blood Group – and yet the O Blood Group is the most common group in the population.

Scofflaw
    the picture of genetic diseases in the human population looks a lot more like it was produced by your 'deleterious traits would accumulate and start producing homozygous recessives in future generations' model

This is what does happen, when the auto-repair systems DON'T function due to mutations affecting them – and a list of some of the MUTATIONS that cause diseases and disorders in Humans are listed here:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genetic_disorders

Scofflaw

* 3-5% of all births result in congenital malformations (Robinson, Linden, 1993)
    * 0.5% of all newborns have a chromosomal abnormality (Robinson, Linden, 1993)
    * 7% of all stillborns have a chromosomal abnormality (Robinson, Linden, 1993)
    * 20-30% of all infant deaths are due to genetic disorders (Berry, et al, 1987)
    * 30-50% of post-neonatal deaths are due to congenital malformations (Koekelman, Pless, 1998)

Children and Adults (age 1 and above)

* 11.1% of pediatric hospital admissions are for children with genetic disorders (Scriver, et al, 1973)
    * 18.5% of pediatric hospitalizations are for children with congenital malformations(Scriver, et al, 1973)
    * 50% of individuals found to have mental retardation have a genetic basis for their disability (Emory, Rimoin, 1990)
    * 12% of adult hospital admissions are for genetic causes (Emory, Rimoin, 1990)
    * 15% of all cancers have an inherited susceptibility (Schneider, 1994)
    * 10% of the chronic diseases (heart, diabetes, arthritis) which occur in the adult populations have a significant genetic component (Weatherall, 1985)

Yes, indeed death and genetic disease are widespread – and the result of the mutation of an originally perfect creation.

However, could I point out that, even though we are all afflicted to a greater or lesser degree by diseases with a genetic component, our genomes are still ALMOST PERFECT.

For example, many of the genetic diseases listed above are caused by ONLY ONE defective gene out of over 3 BILLION other perfect genes!!!!

This indicates that :-

1. We were originally created perfect – and we are still almost perfect (genetically).

2. Even one imperfect (point mutation) gene out of 3 billion (base pairs) can cause serious disease.

3. Mutations cause diseases and disorders – but they show no potential to account for the massive amount of organised perfection and complexity observed in the Human Genome – of EVERY Human Being, INCLUDING those afflicted by serious genetic disorders.

Scofflaw

It is, I'm afraid, irrelevant what Fallen Seraph accepts or not, since scientific truth is not determined by posters on this thread. The majority of scientific papers cite the majority of mutations as neutral.

Fallen Seraph is pointing to the obvious truth that the outcome of mutation mistakes are predominantly bad.

As I have already pointed out, you are confusing mutations (which are almost invariably ‘bad’) with genetic diversity (like different eye colours, for example) which are neutral and/or trivial and/or positive…….

……..and the PROOF that Evolutionists ALSO believe that MUTATIONS are almost invariably BAD – is their WISE reluctance to be irradiated or to ingest MUTAGENIC chemicals!!!!!!

Scofflaw
    Humanity has an impressive range of genetic diseases.

Yes there are couple of thousand genetic disorders, with many caused by the mutation of just 0.00000003% of an otherwise PERFECT genome (i.e. 99.99999997% perfect)!!!!

Scofflaw
    I seem to remember saying that you would make this claim, since it allows you to accept mutation, speciation, and a variety of other things, while claiming that the good derives from 'pre-existing genetic diversity', while the bad results from 'random mutation'.

The truth that “good derives from pre-existing genetic diversity, while the bad results from random mutation” is illustrated by the great effort that is currently being made by all scientists (including evolutionists) to preserve genetic diversity – and the WISE reluctance by all scientists (including evolutionists) to be irradiated or to ingest MUTAGENIC chemicals!!!!:D

Scofflaw

On the ‘outbred’ sequences of the genomes of all species.

Selection tends to eliminate this diversity – and it reaches it’s nadir in highly selected (and often highly inbred) specimens - which is a particular problem for some species on the verge of extinction.

Scofflaw
    I'd certainly be interested to see varves piled up around a tree, given that varves are characteristic of deep glacial lakes...

Thousands of ‘varve-like’ micro layers were observed to be laid down by the waters of Spirit Lake in just 3 HOURS during the volcanic explosion of Mount St Helens - and there were thousands of tree trunks that had been blown off the sides of the mountain stuck in the mud at the bottom of the lake !!!!:D

Scofflaw
    In essence, then, He interferes all the time. JC, you've already accepted mutations, speciation, all that - why not just become a Theistic Evolutionist? That's effectively the position you're asserting by asserting that God chooses the outcome of mating.

God COULD, of course, use a process akin to Theistic Evolution to produce Mankind.

However, He didn’t say that He did – and the evidence indicating that the Biblical Account of Creation is correct, is overwhelming.

Equally, I am NOT suggesting that God DIRECTLY interferes with Human reproduction – but His sovereignty and omnipotence is such that everything works in accordance with His Divine Will.:cool: :)

Scofflaw
    One repeatable observation that cannot be explained means that the theory is not complete. In some cases, it may be something that requires 'rebuilding the theory from the ground up', but not usually.

It is indeed true that one repeatable observation that cannot be explained MAY mean that the theory is merely 'not complete'.
    However, the lack of shadows and lensing in the CMB is so fundamental that it requires the rebuilding the Big Bang Theory from the ground up!!!!:eek: :D

Scofflaw
    Ginkgo trees are also 'living fossils'. Er, and again, these wouldn't be, you know, exactly the same individual trees as were fossilised

Yes, but when Ginko trees, Crocodiles, Coelacanth Fish, Wollemi Pines and Lampreys as well as assorted Salamanders, Turtles, Shellfish and diverse insects remain EXACTLY like supposedly 200 million year old fossils of these same creatures, then one must seriously question that these fossils are 200 million years old - and IF they ARE 200 million years old they haven't evolved AT ALL!!.

The idea that selection pressures / mutation rates were inordinately greater on our supposed 'rat-like ancestors' than the Crocodile’s ancestors in primordial swamps is quite preposterous – and the only logical conclusion is that we aren’t descended from Rats – and the Crocodiles have shared the Earth with Mankind for less than 10,000 years!!!

This presents no difficulties for Creationists who know that these fossils are all only a few thousand years old – but the dilemma for the Evolutionist must indeed be great.
    They have to try to convince themselves that in the 200 million years that Humans were supposedly evolving from something that looked like a 'Glorified Rat' - Ginko trees, Crocodiles, Coelacanth Fish, Wollemi Pines and Lampreys as well as assorted Salamanders, Turtles, Shellfish and insects remained completely UNCHANGED!!!!:eek:

Robin
    …..since a creationist can legitimately (to himself) deny that his own senses and thought processes have anything to do with the conclusion reached, it then becomes quite easy to deny that anybody else has anything worthwhile to contribute, especially if it might suggest that the creationist's reasoning is slightly less than bullet-proof.

The possibility of bias is indeed something that everybody should be aware of.
    However, to ensure that this doesn't happen to Creationism, Creation Science exists to objectively and forensically examine repeatably observable EVIDENCE.

The result is that Creation Science, using all of the available diagnostic tools of modern science, is objectively proving the existence of the God of the Bible and specifically His Act of Direct Creation.

Ironically, it is the Evolutionist who now finds him/herself denying their own senses in order to believe that muck could 'haul itself up by it’s own bootstraps' to become Man!!!:D

Not only is ‘Evolutionist logic’ not ‘bullet proof’ – it is so full of holes that ‘bullet riddled’ would be a more accurate description of it’s current unfortunate state!!!:D

Wicknight
    My point was more that some fundamentalists Christians (and Jews and Muslims) seem to spend all their time living within their holy book, largely ignoring the world that God is supposed to have created for them to enjoy.
    Muslim, Jewish and Christian Creation Scientists are certainly NOT ignoring the World that God created for them.

Creation Science is being pursued PRECISELY in order to examine the (amazing) Universe that God has created for us all to enjoy!!!:D

Asiaprod
    Leakey fears the ideological spat may provoke an attack on the priceless collection, one largely found during the 1920s by his paleontologist parents, Louis and Mary Leakey, who passed their fossil-hunting traditions on to him.

The museum, which attracts around 100,000 visitors a year, is taking no chances.

Turkana Boy will be displayed in a private room, with limited access and behind a glass screen with 24-hour closed-circuit TV. Security guards will be at the entrance.

"There are issues about the security," said Dr. Emma Mbua, the head of paleontology at the museum. "These fossils are irreplaceable and we wouldn't want anything to happen to them."

These are indeed very important, irreplaceable fossils and part of the common heritage of Mankind - and nobody should damage them in any way.

I may disagree with some of Richard Leakey’s interpretations of the fossils that both himself and his eminent parents have unearthed, but I commend them all for the obvious commitment and professionalism that they have brought to their Palaeontology endeavours.

Asiaprod
    "Whether the bishop likes it or not, Turkana Boy is a distant relation of his," Leakey, who founded the museum's prehistory department, told The Associated Press.

I actually AGREE with Richard Leakey on this one – because Turkana Boy (also known as WT 15000) was a Human Being !!!!!:D

The resemblances between WT 15000 and two controversial Asian erectus forms are clear and decisive. The Turkana Boy possessed the same heavy supraorbital ridges, the same type of receding forehead, and other cranial features as Java and Peking Man. With an estimated age of about 11 years old at death, and a cranial capacity (EndoCranial Volume) of about 900cc, WT 15000 is plainly a human being - even in the post-cranial features.
    This young boy stood and walked as fully erect as humans do today. Although the brain capacity is rather small, it is still larger than some juvenile and adult humans of today.
    As most of the adult cranial capacity is reached by age 10 or 11, it is likely that the adult ECV of WT 15000 would be no more than about l000-1050cc, which is still well within the modern human range of about 800- 2000cc.
    At a height of five feet four inches or 1.6 metres, it is likely that WT 15000 was getting close to full adult height at the time of his death. although there is no possible way to establish final height with certainty.
    In all vital respects Turkana Boy was as human as you or me.:D

J C wrote:
    Schuhart
    The Creeds are Articles of Faith on the ‘origins question’ when they proclaim that God is “creator/maker of heaven and earth”.

The Second World War or Baked Alaska aren’t mentioned in the Creeds because they aren’t required Articles of Faith of the Episcopal Christian Churches.:D

Well, that certainly clears up a lot of things. OK - not required by Episcopal Christian Churches = not mentioned in Bible. Gotcha.

J C wrote:
    Schuhart

………but Creation Science is not only DISCOVERING that God Created life perfectly and rapidly – it is also forensically PROVING that this is the case, as well!!!:cool:

Ooh, bad luck.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    but God also provided the free will, and the opportunity to sin (why was that tree in Eden?). The analogy I refer to does not require me to program the robot to kill - it only requires me to give it the capacity to do so in the foreknowledge (God's omniscience) that it will do so.

The opportunity to sin is the ‘flip side’ of free will – otherwise it wouldn’t be free will, but pre-programmed behaviour.

God has full sovereignty – and He has overview that we lack.

God did say in Gen 6:6 that He regretted ever creating Mankind, such was the deplorable behaviour of nearly everyone on Earth at the time, just before the Flood.

However, I for one, thank God for allowing me to be born and for saving me to spend an eternity with Him in Heaven.

Total non-answer, then. Fair enough.

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    I do hope you're not putting too much weight on the idea that dominant traits are always good, because the list in the link rather blows that away.

…….but dominant traits are almost always ‘good’ – or provide variety - and practically ALL deleterious alleles for genetic diseases are recessive.

Some examples of the recessive alleles which are not deleterious but provide variety in humans are as follows:

· Eye colour: The allele for brown eyes is dominant to the recessive a allele for grey, blue / green eyes.
    · Attached earlobes: The allele for free earlobes is dominant to the recessive a allele for attached earlobes.
    · Tongue rolling: The R allele enables one to roll their tongue into a U shape and is dominant to the r allele (these persons lack this ability).
    · Hitchhiker’s thumb: People who can bend the last joint of their thumb back to an angle of 60 degrees or more have the recessive allele h and those who cannot have the dominant allele, H.
    · Bent little finger: A person with the dominant allele B can lay their hands flat on a table and while relaxed are able to bend the last joint of the little finger toward the fourth finger. Those with the recessive allele b cannot do this.
    · Interlacing fingers: People with the C allele can cross their left thumb over their right thumb when they interlace their fingers. The C allele is dominant over the c allele, which results in the person normally crossing their right thumb over their left.
    · PTC tasting: Those with this the dominant allele T trait can detect a bitter taste in paper impregnated with phenylthiocarbamide (PTC) when they chew on it for a few seconds. Those persons with the recessive allele cannot taste this chemical.
    · Widow’s peak: The W allele (for widow’s peak, a pointed hairline) is dominant to the allele which produces a straight hairline.
    · The A B Blood Groups are dominant to the O Blood Group – and yet the O Blood Group is the most common group in the population.

So, other than corroborating what I said, you'll neither address the question nor change your original assertion that "dominant traits = good, recessive traits = bad". Again, fair enough - I hardly expect changes on the basis of mere evidence at this stage.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    the picture of genetic diseases in the human population looks a lot more like it was produced by your 'deleterious traits would accumulate and start producing homozygous recessives in future generations' model

This is what does happen, when the auto-repair systems DON'T function due to mutations affecting them – and a list of some of the MUTATIONS that cause diseases and disorders in Humans are listed here:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genetic_disorders

Virtually none of which have anything to do with mutations in the genetic repair machinery.

For your hypothesis to have any chance of truth, you require mutations in the repair machinery as well as the mutations that cause the disease. Not observed, sorry.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw

Yes, indeed death and genetic disease are widespread – and the result of the mutation of an originally perfect creation.

Well, death is certainly widespread, I'll grant you. 100% incidence, last time I checked.
    J C wrote:
    However, could I point out that, even though we are all afflicted to a greater or lesser degree by diseases with a genetic component, our genomes are still ALMOST PERFECT.

For example, many of the genetic diseases listed above are caused by ONLY ONE defective gene out of over 3 BILLION other perfect genes!!!!

Now, pardon me if you don't like this, but a few pages back, you were claiming the impossibility of evolution based on the observed high rate of mutations in humans.

Now, suddenly, we have 3 billion perfect genes.* What happened to all the mutations?

What a tangled web you do weave, my little Creationist spider...

* I'm sure you don't mean 'genes', though, since we only have about 35,000 of those - you must mean 'base pairs'. Then again, you can hardly mean that, because obviously a base pair is perfect by itself, no matter whether it's a mutation or not from the point of the gene it's part of...

...and I'm sure you wouldn't quote the larger number just because it's more impressive, would you.
    J C wrote:
    This indicates that :-

1. We were originally created perfect – and we are still almost perfect (genetically).

Apart from the mutations, of course.
    J C wrote:
    2. Even one imperfect gene out of 3 billion can cause serious disease.

Tends to depend which one, actually, out of the 35,000 genes that we have. I imagine you think you're talking about base pairs, though.
    J C wrote:
    3. Mutations cause diseases and disorders – but they show no potential to account for the massive increase in organised perfection and complexity observed in the Human Genome – of EVERY Human Being, INCLUDING those afflicted by serious genetic disorders.

I've noticed that you believe that to be the case. Since we lack your apparently unique definitions for 'organised perfection and complexity', we can but wonder - ooh, hang on, that's CSI again in another variation, isn't it?

CSI apparently proves your entire view of genetics, doesn't it? Shame you won't define it, then.

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw

Fallen Seraph is pointing to the obvious truth that the outcome of mutation mistakes are predominantly bad.

As I have already pointed out, you are confusing mutations (which are almost invariably ‘bad’) with genetic diversity (like different eye colours, for example) which are neutral and/or trivial and/or positive…….

I don't think so. That line of discussion was in relation to your assertion that recessive traits were always bad.

In essence, you have defined as 'mutations' every genetic change that causes harm, and defeined as 'genetic diversity' every genetic change that doesn't.

While you're entitled to your personal definitions (indeed, your personal dictionary, at this stage), and are equally entitled to argue that because you define mutations as bad, they are bad, you need to bear in mind that this has no impact whatsoever on the real world (apart from the obvious).
    J C wrote:
    ……..and the PROOF that Evolutionists ALSO believe that MUTATIONS are almost invariably BAD – is their WISE reluctance to be irradiated or to ingest MUTAGENIC chemicals!!!!!!

Curiously, though, our equally wise reluctance to be boiled alive doesn't prove that we believe water is always bad.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    Humanity has an impressive range of genetic diseases.

Yes there are couple of thousand genetic disorders, with many caused by the mutation of just 0.00000003% of an otherwise PERFECT genome!!!!

Which figure are you using there, out of interest? 3 billion base pairs, or 30,000 genes? Looks like 3,333,333,333 to me, so I assume base pairs? You're saying that genetic diseases are caused by a change in just one base pair, then. I don't think you'll find that's actually true, but it is a brave attempt to make the numbers look like they stack in your favour...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    I seem to remember saying that you would make this claim, since it allows you to accept mutation, speciation, and a variety of other things, while claiming that the good derives from 'pre-existing genetic diversity', while the bad results from 'random mutation'.

The truth that “good derives from pre-existing genetic diversity, while the bad results from random mutation” is illustrated by the great effort that is currently being made by all scientists (including evolutionists) to preserve genetic diversity – and the WISE reluctance by all scientists (including evolutionists) to be irradiated or to ingest MUTAGENIC chemicals!!!!:D

So that's a yes, then.
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw

On the ‘outbred’ sequences of the genomes of all species.

Selection tends to eliminate this diversity – and it reaches it’s nadir in highly selected (and often highly inbred) specimens - which is a particular problem for some species on the verge of extinction.

So, what you're saying is that when a mutation appears to have done some good, what actually happens is that an immensely distant member of the species with the required 'genetic diversity' flies in and mates with the parent....

Of course, of course, it's all clear now...
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw

Thousands of ‘varve-like’ micro layers were observed to be laid down by the waters of Spirit Lake in just 3 HOURS during the volcanic explosion of Mount St Helens - and there were thousands of tree trunks that had been blown off the sides of the mountain stuck in the mud at the bottom of the lake !!!!:D

'Varve-like'? You mean deposited in a lake environment as a sedimentary deposit, with alternating light (chemically deposited) and dark (organic sediment) bands, pollen peaking or only present in the upper part of the dark (winter) layer, where it was trapped in spring? With freshwater diatoms present at twice the abundance in the light (summer) layers as in the dark winter layers? Pollen grains showing the change over many layers from one type of vegetation (say oak/ash woodland) to another (wheat and field weeds)?

Do you mean that, JC? No, clearly you ruddy well don't. You mean thin ash laminae, resulting from turbulent deposition of repeated ashfalls, random changes of chemistry, no diatoms, no pollen, laid down in what is clearly a volcanic environment.

Honestly, you parrot this stuff, and you know nothing about it, nor do you even try to find out.

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw

God COULD, of course, use a process akin to Theistic Evolution to produce Mankind.

However, He didn’t say that He did – and the evidence indicating that the Biblical Account of Creation is correct, is overwhelming.

Perhaps it just wasn't required by the Episcopal Christian Churches?

J C wrote:
    Scofflaw

It is indeed true that one repeatable observation that cannot be explained MAY mean that the theory is merely 'not complete'.
    However, the lack of shadows and lensing in the CMB is so fundamental that it requires the rebuilding the Big Bang Theory from the ground up!!!!:eek: :D

Tell you what - I'm not a physicist, so perhaps you could explain to me how that's the case? Frankly, though, I think this is the usual "if there's just one thing wrong, then you have to throw out the whole thing" and "there's only two choices - evolution or creation".
    J C wrote:
    Scofflaw
    Ginkgo trees are also 'living fossils'. Er, and again, these wouldn't be, you know, exactly the same individual trees as were fossilised

Yes, but when Ginko trees, Crocodiles, Coelacanth Fish, Wollemi Pines and Lampreys as well as assorted Salamanders, Turtles, Shellfish and diverse insects remain EXACTLY like supposedly 200 million year old fossils of these same creatures, then one must seriously question that these fossils are 200 million years old.
    This presents no difficulties for Creationists who know that these fossils are all only a few thousand years old – but the dilemma for the Evolutionist must indeed be great.

Shame that organisms with no living counterpart so very heavily outnumber the ones that do....whither the dinosaurs, the graptolites, trilobites, agnathan fish, great groves of mares-tail trees, giant sloths, mammoths, de yada de yada de yada....
    J C wrote:
    They have to try to convince themselves that in the 200 million years that Humans were supposedly evolving from something that looked like a 'Glorified Rat' - Ginko trees, Crocodiles, Coelacanth Fish, Wollemi Pines and Lampreys as well as assorted Salamanders, Turtles, Shellfish and insects remained completely UNCHANGED!!!!:eek:

No, it's really not a problem. Some things work, and they don't change much in gross morphology. Other things don't, and they're gone, we don't see them around any more.
    J C wrote:
    The idea that selection pressures / mutation rates were inordinately greater on our supposed 'rat-like ancestors' than the Crocodile’s ancestors in primordial swamps is quite preposterous – and the only logical conclusion is that we aren’t descended from Rats – and the Crocodiles have shared the Earth with Mankind for less than 10,000 years!!!

JC, sweetie, you couldn't tell a logical conclusion from concussion.
    J C wrote:
    Robin
    …..since a creationist can legitimately (to himself) deny that his own senses and thought processes have anything to do with the conclusion reached, it then becomes quite easy to deny that anybody else has anything worthwhile to contribute, especially if it might suggest that the creationist's reasoning is slightly less than bullet-proof.

The possibility of bias is indeed something that everybody should be aware of.
    However, to ensure that this doesn't happen to Creationism, Creation Science exists to objectively and forensically examine repeatably observable EVIDENCE.

By, for example, requiring that its practitioners sign a code of conduct that includes the statement that evidence cannot contradict Scripture - and that if it does appear to, it is false, or not evidence?
    J C wrote:
    Ironically, it is the Evolutionist who now finds him/herself denying their own senses in order to believe that muck could 'haul itself up by it’s own bootstraps' to become Man!!!:D

Only in your particular case.

deriding your increasingly bizarre and contradictory claims,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement