Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Looks like I have missed a lot of theological fun this past week. I'm glad to be back for short while and maybe can catch up on these and previous posts.

As ever, I'm impressed by the spectrum of knowledge exhibited :) :
    From the lofty Scofflaw:
    God is ineffable, unknowable, moves in mysterious ways, and is far beyond
    human understanding.

But we know he hates fags.
    through the practical robindch:
    The shrimps, the shrimps. Don't forget the abominable shrimps!
    to the impulsive bluewolf:
    And figs

To Scofflaw's point: Yes and No. God is angry with the wicked every day - homosexuals fall into that catagory. But He also sent His Son to pay for the sins of many homosexuals, having set His love on them in eternity past, and sends His Holy Spirit to convert them from their sinful ways.

To Robin's point: shrimps are part of His good creation. But in teaching the Israelites the pervasiveness of sin and the need for atonement, He used various physical symbols to represent spiritual truths. So the clean/unclean distinctions. This was to serve the people of God in their immature form, but when Christ came to fulfill all things, the physical gave way to the spiritual. The Church is Israel in its maturity and the 'touch not, taste not' laws of childhood no longer apply. It is spiritual uncleaness Christians are to avoid.

Bluewolf is off the mark here, for it was Christ's desire for a fig that initiated the lesson. The point He made by this acted parable seems to be of God coming to Israel for His due worship, and finding it barren He causes it to perish. The application of course is for everyone - God has a right to expect our love, and to be barren of it is to be deserving of Hell:
    Matthew 3:10 And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

robindch said:
    I look forward to JC explaining how this is completely non-beneficial!

JC?
    Before JC contributes scientific comment, may this simple man suggest the extra two legs are hardly likely to be integrated with the complex organism that is the duck. They are a burden. The only way one could look at them as beneficial is to those who prefer leg to breast for their lunch. Even then, I doubt they would be a big hit in the supermarket.

Seems the owner of the duck farm agrees with me,
    Mrs Janaway said the animal would not survive in the wild.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Bluewolf is off the mark here, for it was Christ's desire for a fig that initiated the lesson. The point He made by this acted parable seems to be of God coming to Israel for His due worship, and finding it barren He causes it to perish. The application of course is for everyone - God has a right to expect our love, and to be barren of it is to be deserving of Hell:
    Matthew 3:10 And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”
    Nice omnibenevolent god you have there.
    I know how it goes - the parable is that jesus was hungry, gets cross that there are no figs and curses the tree; generally behaves like a spoilt child.

God has no "right" to expect anything of us, the only rights your god has are those it decides to give to itself, which it can do of course to its heart's content, but it has nothing to do with us. And throwing a tantrum because god doesn't get what god wants doesn't exactly endear us to god's cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

wolfsbane wrote:
    To Scofflaw's point: Yes and No. God is angry with the wicked every day - homosexuals fall into that catagory. But He also sent His Son to pay for the sins of many homosexuals, having set His love on them in eternity past, and sends His Holy Spirit to convert them from their sinful ways.

I think you slightly missed Scofflaws point.

It isn't that God gets angry at homosexuals. It is that you think God gets angry at homosexuals. His point was the contradiction between God being a supreme being far beyond our comprehension and the idea that we actually know quite a lot about what He thinks about things.

Now you are probably going to say that you know what God thinks about homosexuals because you have Gods words ala the Bible. But again, you think those are Gods words.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    It is spiritual uncleaness Christians are to avoid.
    That just seems like a cop out so you can eat shrimp. Surely the homosexuals can claim God was only messing about that an abomination too?

wolfsbane wrote:
    Before JC contributes scientific comment
    hehe ... oh you were being serious
    wolfsbane wrote:
    , may this simple man suggest the extra two legs are hardly likely to be integrated with the complex organism that is the duck. They are a burden.
    They probably will be a burden, and the animal would probably die in the wild. But that is kinda missing the point.

According to Creationism, and JC, what happened could never ever ever happen. The duck should have either died from the mutation straight off, or this should have been a mutation along God's chosen genetic diversity path and produced something really useful.

The fact that the duck seems perfectly fine, yet this clearly was not what God had in mind for the duck, simply shows that the Creationist explanation for the develop of life doesn't explain this.

Amazingly the evolutionary one does (who'd have thought it!).

A genetic mutation in the duck has clearly created a dramatic change in the physical structure of the duck. According to JC this could never happen, because it would kill the duck.

And while this particular mutation doesn't bestow any great advantage (what does a duck need with 4 legs) it is not hard to see how an equally major change to the physical structure of the duck (or any other animal) caused by mutation, could easily bestow great advantage to the creature. Say an animal going from 3 fingers to 5, or developing a thumb.

It is hard not to get a glow of self rightousness when one sees something like this (that completely goes against Creationism yet is easily explained and even predicted by evolution), and to resist the urge to go "ha ha, told ya so" But who knows, maybe this is a fake.

I brace myself for JC's ineviatable "This is clearly God trying to confuse evolutionists" response.

Actually where is JC ... he seems to have disappeared after my post about the paradox of the Bible's descriptions of God. Ah no worries, I will imagine he will pop up again soon, and completely ignore the questions he was asked ...

• Advertisement

Wicknight said:
    The problem is is that the only works if the assumption that the Bible is actually describing what they should believe and what they should do, is true in the first place.
    Exactly so.
    Personally I think it is much better to read the Bible and decide for yourself, freely, what you think makes sense and what doesn't make sense to you, based on your own beliefs and morality.
    Many do precisely that, but they have the nerve to call themselves Christian. A more honest description would be one who has been influenced by bits of Christian teaching. They probably owe much more to Freud than they do to Jesus.

Christians hold the Bible to be the word of God, given by Divine inspiration to its various authors, and inerrant in all that it asserts. If it is not that, then we must come to our own conclusions as to truth, right and wrong. The 20th Century gave spectular examples of how that works in practice.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Wicknight said:

Christians hold the Bible to be the word of God, given by Divine inspiration to its various authors, and inerrant in all that it asserts.
    So bats really are birds and rabbits/hares really do chew their cud?

wolfsbane wrote:
    Many do precisely that, but they have the nerve to call themselves Christian.
    Well that works on the assumption that what you think Christianity actually is what Christianity is.

I'm pretty sure they think that what they think Christianity is is actually what Christianity is.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Christians hold the Bible to be the word of God, given by Divine inspiration to its various authors, and inerrant in all that it asserts.
    No, you hold the Bible to be the word of God. Lots of other Christians don't.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    If it is not that, then we must come to our own conclusions as to truth, right and wrong.
    You are right, which is what they do. A lot Christians feel that God gives them the strength to see the fact from the nonsense, the right from the wrong, in the Bible.

The idea of a person, a Christian, making their own mind up about the Bible piece by piece seems to really trouble you Wolfsbane? Why exactly? Why do you hold to the idea that one must accept everything in the Bible as the perfect word of God, lest they reject all of it?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The 20th Century gave spectular examples of how that works in practice.
    Not sure what you are referring too? Surely the 20th century has been almost completely devoid of religious warfare, mostly because people stopped taking the Bible so seriously.

Wicknight, your contribution once again assures me that evolution is nonsense.:)

You start off alright:
    They probably will be a burden, and the animal would probably die in the wild.

but end up contradicting yourself:
    The fact that the duck seems perfectly fine, yet this clearly was not what God had in mind for the duck, simply shows that the Creationist explanation for the develop of life doesn't explain this.

Amazingly the evolutionary one does (who'd have thought it!).

A genetic mutation in the duck has clearly created a dramatic change in the physical structure of the duck. According to JC this could never happen, because it would kill the duck.

You misrepresent Creationism (and JC) by saying it holds that any genetic defect is immediately or necessarily fatal. THEY NEVER SAY SUCH A THING.
    According to Creationism, and JC, what happened could never ever ever happen. The duck should have either died from the mutation straight off, or this should have been a mutation along God's chosen genetic diversity path and produced something really useful.

Paying attention to what is actually said will clear your thinking somewhat.

Wicknight said:
    That just seems like a cop out so you can eat shrimp. Surely the homosexuals can claim God was only messing about that an abomination too?
    Not if they read Romans 1:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=romans%201:18-32%20;&version=50;

• Advertisement

bluewolf said:
    So bats really are birds and rabbits/hares really do chew their cud?
    I'm not sure what you are referring to regards bats and birds. Please indicate.

As to chewing the cud -
    See:
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v20/i4/rabbits.asp
    and

wolfsbane wrote:

Yes but people who eat shrimp are included in that, just like the homosexuals. Yet you claim God was only messing about the shrimp... is that not just because you want to eat shrimp without being stoned to death?

Wicknight said:
    The idea of a person, a Christian, making their own mind up about the Bible piece by piece seems to really trouble you Wolfsbane? Why exactly? Why do you hold to the idea that one must accept everything in the Bible as the perfect word of God, lest they reject all of it?
    Logic alone would convince me of that. But more importantly to me is the witness of the Spirit in my heart. However, let's deal with logic, since you don't believe in the Spirit.

The Bible repeatedly claims to be the word of God, inerrant. To fail here means so much of it is proven to be false that no credibility can apply to any of it. What would you take as truth from a document that repeatedly errs? Why not just look at life and make up your own set of principles? Would the works of Shakespeare not provide more food for the soul than a discredited religious artifact?
    Not sure what you are referring too? Surely the 20th century has been almost completely devoid of religious warfare, mostly because people stopped taking the Bible so seriously.
    Man coming to his own conclusions as to truth, right and wrong was examplified by Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and all the rest of those liberated from religious dogma. Yes, historic religions can produce their butchers also, but making one's own mind up on morality seems to be just as dangerous.

Wicknight said:
    Yes but people who eat shrimp are included in that, just like the homosexuals. Yet you claim God was only messing about the shrimp... is that not just because you want to eat shrimp without being stoned to death?
    No, they weren't. The 'touch not, taste not' laws of Moses passed away with the introduction of the New Covenant. Christ fulfilled and abolished all the requirements of Mose's Law. Christ's Law is the Law for us today.
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=romans%2014;&version=50;

bluewolf said:
    Nice omnibenevolent god you have there.
    You're still breathing, so that's mighty benevolent in the light of your blasphemy and contempt for Him.
    God has no "right" to expect anything of us, the only rights your god has are those it decides to give to itself, which it can do of course to its heart's content, but it has nothing to do with us.
    If He made us, it has everything to do with us.
    And throwing a tantrum because god doesn't get what god wants doesn't exactly endear us to god's cause.
    It wasn't meant to. It was meant as a solemn warning, 'Flee from the wrath to come'.

wolfsbane wrote:
    The Bible repeatedly claims to be the word of God, inerrant.
    Well it would wouldn't it.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    To fail here means so much of it is proven to be false that no credibility can apply to any of it.

You are missing the point. It is not the Bible itself that is important, it is what it is attempting to describe.

Say you are reading an unauthorised biography on say Princess Diana. Say this biography is crap, it is sensationist, and you know half of it isn't true.

Naturally the author of the biography will claim all of it is true, he wants his biography to be considered truthful.

But equally just because it is a nonsense biography, doesn't mean that there was never actually a Princess Diana, or that this guy never actually described accurately anything she said or did.

But most people have a head screwed on right. They can tell the bits that are nonsense, and the bits that make sense.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    What would you take as truth from a document that repeatedly errs?
    Depends on the document.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Why not just look at life and make up your own set of principles?
    Sure that is what most people do anyway. Just look at you and shrimp..
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Man coming to his own conclusions as to truth, right and wrong was examplified by Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and all the rest of those liberated from religious dogma.
    Yes because before Hitler Stalin and Mao we never had wars :rolleyes:

"Man coming to his own conclusions" after the Enlightenment has actually lead, on a whole, to the longest period of peace and stability in the history of humanity. It has also lead to the greatest period of development and quality of living in the history of humanity.

So one can't help but feel that religion wasn't doing a very good job at this. But of course the age old religious idea that is the after life that matters can be used to justify the terrible state of things in this life.

Scofflaw said:
    The generally accepted reason for Jesus teaching in parables is that it allowed him to explain rather complicated concepts in a way that would be accessible to anyone.
    That wasn't the purpose behind Christ's use of parables:
    Matthew 13:10 And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?”
    11 He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13 Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.

But even with the use of parable as illustration, it is mean to help us understand a concept better, not obscure it. Had Christ used Genesis as a parable, He would then have explained it to the disciples plainly. Something like, 'The six days represent billions of years in which the universe changed from barreness to the abundant life we see today. Adam and Eve represent the creatures into whom I first placed a soul. Their coming from the dust represents the evolutionary path they travelled from non-life, through the first primitive organisms, to the final separation from their ape cousins.'

But instead He continued with the references to Adam and Eve, Abel, Noah, and allowed His apostles to do the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> But of course the age old religious idea that is the after life that
    > matters can be used to justify the terrible state of things in this life.

Who was it who said that you should never invest in a company that pays out when you die...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I remember reading something Jesus said once that could be summed up as I offer you life before death (not just life after)....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

wolfsbane wrote:
    Would the works of Shakespeare not provide more food for the soul than a discredited religious artifact?
    There’s something we agree on, only I’d replace ‘Shakespeare’ with ‘the Dixie Chicks’.

What?

• Advertisement

> [Excelsior] I remember reading something Jesus said once that could be summed up
    > as I offer you life before death (not just life after)....

hmm... a cracking translation there, Excelsior! There's an uncommon touch of the common Greek coming through at last. Tyndale must be twirling in his grave.

But I'd forgotten about that paragraph -- everybody except Jesus is "up to no good", his believers are "sheep" and are being released into a paddock, presumably for fattening. For those who have eyes that see, there's A Message there alrighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    That wasn't the purpose behind Christ's use of parables:
    Matthew 13:10 And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?”
    11 He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13 Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.

Maybe it's just me, but actually, I think that this quotation directly contradicts your interpretation of it below:
    wolfsbane wrote:
    But even with the use of parable as illustration, it is mean to help us understand a concept better, not obscure it.

Surely, what Christ is saying is that he is delivering an exoteric message to the multitudes, while the esoterica of his message is reserved for the apostles? How much clearer could "it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given" be?

Nor is the esoterica that Christ gave to the apostles recorded in the Bible. Indeed, this forms part of the Catholic Church's claim to sole authority - the so-called 'apostolic tradition', that is, the esoterica handed down from the apostles.

So, your assertion:
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Had Christ used Genesis as a parable, He would then have explained it to the disciples plainly. Something like, 'The six days represent billions of years in which the universe changed from barreness to the abundant life we see today. Adam and Eve represent the creatures into whom I first placed a soul. Their coming from the dust represents the evolutionary path they travelled from non-life, through the first primitive organisms, to the final separation from their ape cousins.'

has no support. Christ may well have explained the above to the apostles, but it would no more have been recorded in the Bible than the rest of the esoterica.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    But instead He continued with the references to Adam and Eve, Abel, Noah, and allowed His apostles to do the same.

Quite right and proper in front of the uninitiated, too.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    Wicknight said:

No, they weren't. The 'touch not, taste not' laws of Moses passed away with the introduction of the New Covenant. Christ fulfilled and abolished all the requirements of Mose's Law. Christ's Law is the Law for us today.
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=romans%2014;&version=50;

As usual, this is not directly attributable to Christ, but is an interpretation which postdates the decision to extend the message to the Gentiles.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    Wicknight, your contribution once again assures me that evolution is nonsense.:)

You misrepresent Creationism (and JC) by saying it holds that any genetic defect is immediately or necessarily fatal. THEY NEVER SAY SUCH A THING.

Actually, if you look at what is claimed by (for example) JC, it is that mutations are always deleterious. No 'context' is given - all mutations are necessarily corruptions of God's perfect work, and represent a reduction in the 'complex specified information' in the genome.

This mutation is interesting, in the sense that it is probably (a) major, (b) pretty neutral, and (c) clearly involves an increase of information in the genome (addditional leg templates).

cordially,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    bluewolf said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to regards bats and birds. Please indicate.

As to chewing the cud -
    See:
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v20/i4/rabbits.asp
    and
    A theology friend showed me this in response:
    http://www.infidels.org/library/magazines/tsr/1995/2/2chew95.html
    You're still breathing, so that's mighty benevolent in the light of your blasphemy and contempt for Him.
    :rolleyes: is about all I have to say for that.
    If He made us, it has everything to do with us.
    If parents create a child, do they have the right to kill the child and burn their bedroom as a punishment for something?
    It wasn't meant to. It was meant as a solemn warning, 'Flee from the wrath to come'.
    "Or else I'll throw a tantrum", yes.

> The 'touch not, taste not' laws of Moses passed away with the
    > introduction of the New Covenant. Christ fulfilled and abolished
    > all the requirements of Mose's Law.

Wolfsbane, you are in a dangerous state of religious error -- Jesus did no such thing and he says so quite explicitly in Matthew 5:17:
    Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    As Scofflaw points out, the line you have quoted was not said by Jesus and can, in no way, override his direct mandate.

wolfsbane wrote:

I would imagine that nothing, not even God himself, could convince you that evolution isn't nonsense.

You have a strong vested interest in not accepting evolution, as you have some how convinced yourself that if evolution is true then your entire religious belief system is incorrect, there is no God, and you aren't going to have a blissful eternal after life in heaven.

Since you have some how done that I don't blame you for refusing to consider evolution (or science in general), though I've always been a bit puzzled how you actually came to this conclusion in the first place considering the majority of Christians don't hold it (not even the Pope)
    wolfsbane wrote:
    You start off alright:
    but end up contradicting yourself:
    No, not at all.

You need to understand the difference between a animal dying in the wild due to lack of fitness to the environment, and dying because a mutation has damaged to organism.

This duck probably would die in the wild due to the environment it found itself in, as having 4 legs would probably be a disadvantage for a duck. I'm only guessing here, there might be an advantage that none of us are considering, the only way to tell is to throw the duck into a pond and see what happens.

But this wouldn't happen quickly, it would take a while. It might not even happen till after the duck has reproduced. Either the duck would not be able to feed itself and would die of starvation, or would itself be eaten by predators that it cannot escape.

Natural selection would not select it because the 4 legs doesn't give much, if any, advantage. Which is why ducks don't have 4 legs. This mutations (or set of mutations I'm not sure if it was just one on its own) has probably happened a hundred thousand times before over the last few thousand years, but each time was not selected by natural selection as it provided no great advantage. That is how NS works.

But you will notice that the mutation itself didn't kill the duck The mutation appears to be harmless, it causes no failure of organs or damage to internal systems. That is what JC claims would happen. JC has on numerous occasions claimed that a mutation that would cause as significant a change in organism would be lethal to the organism.

He claims this in response to the evolutionary theory that mutation can cause significant alteration of an organisms design without damaging the organism itself, and thus can lead to significant adaptation of the organism based on environment.

JC has claimed a number of times that this cannot happen because such a mutation would be lethal to the organism and would cause it to die. Such a mutation can only happen within some mythical predetermined path chosen by God, such as the nylon bug, and that any mutation outside of this path would cause the organism to die.

Now I understand it is confusing keeping up with JC because he literally completely changes what his claims are once they are shown to be nonsense.

After a number of counter examples were presented to him he altered what he was claiming above to say that they wouldn't out right kill the organism, but eventually they would ("semi-lethal"). Which isn't true either. He then claims he was talking about natural selection.

So there are an equal number of times when JC has claimed the exact opposite of the above, stating that he has no problem with genetic mutations not damaging the organism and the reason it wouldn't work is some other reason, which he then goes on to explain and which is probably equally nonsensical.

The problem was the fact that he always goes back to stating that such a mutation would kill the organism by significantly damaging the genome, often only a few weeks later.

And around and around we go. It is part of JCs trick, to keep the argument going. So long as there is an argument going he can convince himself that there is an argument against evolution. It doesn't seem to really concern him that he spends half his time contradicting himself.

You see from JC's position as a Creationist he has to claim these things. If he admits that a mutation can cause a significant alteration to the design of a creature and yet not out right kill the creature, then he loses pretty much his only argument against evolution.

If mutation can cause significant alteration in a creature's design causing it to grow another arm, or another let, or another eye, then that is evolution right there. All you need is time and you have "muck to man" as JC likes to inaccurately describe it.

So from his point of view he has to claim that this isn't possible, that mutation must always cause the organism such damage that it doesn't survive, well before it gets to the natural selection part, because if it gets to the natural selection part some of the mutations will be non-benefital but equally some of them will be benefital.

This argument, coupled with his argument that mutation can never increase the size of an organism genome (an event which has been observed happening) are JC's pillars to argue against evolution.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Actually he says it all the time. In fact he said it in his first post
    JC wrote:
    Why is the only mechanism postulated by Evolution to produce genetic variation – genetic mutation – invariably damaging to the genome resulting in lethal and semi lethal conditions most of the time?

He repeated this exactly same "question" on page 107, so clearly he wasn't really listening when countless posters explained to him that most of the time a mutation does absolutely nothing to an organism.

If you like I can dig up all the countless times he has claimed this, or the countless times he has claimed the exact opposite.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    If I was a lesser man I would say "Stopping just hearing what you want to hear will do the same for you" ... but being the stronger man I won't :p

bluewolf wrote:
    :rolleyes: is about all I have to say for that.

Clearly the fact that God hasn't killed you for your blasphemy is evidence He exists and actually wants you to continue this blasphemy.

Just as clearly the fact that God hasn't killed me for my sinful ways is proof that God is actually fine with my sinful ways and in fact wants me to continue them as they aren't really a sin at all.

wolfsbane wrote:

Did you actually read that .... ?

Rabbits crap out partially undigested food and eat it again. We have only discovered they do this very recently.

Yet AiG attempts to explain that this is actually "chewing the cud" by going on quite a long rant saying that ‘alah doesn't just mean "bring up" but sure it can also mean "ascend up, carry up, cast up, fetch up, get up, recover, restore, take up". Notice the "up" in most of those definitions. AiG amazingly then goes on to quote all the times 'alah is used to mean "bring up" :rolleyes:

If I crapped out my food and then started eatting it would you say I "brought up" my food? No you wouldn't. If I brought it up from my stomach to my mouth and started eatting it would you say I brought up my food. Yes you would

More nonsense from AiG .... please for your own sanity stop reading that nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Wicknight wrote:
    Clearly the fact that God hasn't killed you for your blasphemy is evidence He exists and actually wants you to continue this blasphemy.

Just as clearly the fact that God hasn't killed me for my sinful ways is proof that God is actually fine with my sinful ways and in fact wants me to continue them as they aren't really a sin at all.
    I thought he wanted us to continue with our sinful ways and blasphemy because we are not of the Elect? You are either born as one of the Elect, in which case God's already decided you are saved, or you are born as one of the non-Elect, in which case your only purpose in life is to contribute to the sense of smug satisifaction that the Chosen get from contemplating your eternal torment.

This is explains how large parts of the world are oblivious to this mind-numbingly limited interpretation of the divine message.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement