Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Son Goku wrote:
    So we have two independant sets of data correlating evolutionary data for a parasite and its host.

Strange, considering the universe was only made 6,000 years ago ... :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> So we have two independant sets of data correlating evolutionary data
    > for a parasite and its host.

I wonder what god made headlice for? Applying a jemmy to that line about a tobacco pipe:
    A headlouse gives a wise man time to scratch his head and think, and a fool a reason to scratch his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

robindch wrote:
    > So we have two independant sets of data correlating evolutionary data
    > for a parasite and its host.

I wonder what god made headlice for? Applying a jemmy to that line about a tobacco pipe:

Much the same kind of data is available for whales and whale lice. As far as I know, there's also some rather interesting work done on the evolutionary separation between head lice and body lice, which gives us an approximate dating for the origin of clothing..

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Son Goku said:
    Ugh!, Maxwell was deeply Christian and an avid Church goer, but any biography of Maxwell I've ever read has him say several times that he found electromag so interesting he couldn't stop working on it. I've never read (even including a biography from fellow Christians) that it was his Christianity and not his natural curiosity that motivated him in this regard.
    Christians enjoy the liberating thought that God has ordered the universe and that it displays His glory, so they do find its workings fasinating.

However, my point in bringing forward notable scientists who were Christian was to refute the allegation that it was the demise of Christianity and the rise of secularism that accounted for the advance of scientific knowledge. Real Christianity promotes rather than hinders science.

Schuhart said:
    This seems a different line to the one you were peddling earlier. I'll try to be brief, in the hope that if we do go around in a circle it will be a short one.

God's message, in the sense of your vision of Christianity, is not universally available. Even today I take it we could still point to parts of the world that just don't have access to a Bible. More commonly, there would be large chunks of the world that haven't heard of Christianity in any context that would lead them to give it a second glance because they know they already have the one true faith, followed by their ancestors since whenever.

So how can God want all to be righteous, in the sense of following your religion, if they haven't access to the message? Isn't the only reasonable conclusion (from a theist perspective) that God sees all or most religions as valid?
    God wants all to be righteous and has provided them enough witness to Himself (via Conscience and Nature) that they are without excuse for not worshiping Him. But the reality is that because of their wicked nature, they will never turn from their own way to His, except He change their nature. God desires, and has the right to demand, obedience from all His creatures. But He has chosen to make some of them willing, and to leave others in their rebellion.

Sometimes we refer to this as the Two Wills of God - what He desires and what He determines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

wolfsbane wrote:
    Christians enjoy the liberating thought that God has ordered the universe and that it displays His glory, so they do find its workings fascinating.
    Okay, but that has little to do with Maxwell's reasons. He found it intuitively interesting from when he was a little fella, not after he was liberated by the thought that God ordered it. It was childhood wonder. He later believed God ordered it.

Are you saying Christian scientists don't find the universe interesting for its own sake or knowledge's sake?
    For instance, like the way you can enjoy a game of cards or reading a history book.

With regards to the universe displaying his(its) glory, assuming he(it) exists I can tell you two things about God if his glory is revealed in the universe's workings:
    (a) He prefers the complex numbers over any other algebraic system.
    (b) He seems to like the world being layered, in allowing regimes to exist in which a large portion of the physics of the underlying layers is hidden.
    e.g. Quantum Mechanics being largely hidden to us, but not to atoms.

That I think is about all that is revealed.
    (I'm actually not making a joke by the way. I know Christian physicists who'd add on that he likes geometry.)
    wolfsbane wrote:
    However, my point in bringing forward notable scientists who were Christian was to refute the allegation that it was the demise of Christianity and the rise of secularism that accounted for the advance of scientific knowledge. Real Christianity promotes rather than hinders science.
    You picked bad examples. Faraday for instance was a Glasite, definitely not your traditional Christian.
    You also picked physicists from before the main period of growth of physics, back when it was a subject open only to the British upper and middle class or those from the working class who managed to work for laboratory owners and those in the academic fields.

Even though the point your trying to prove is correct (that Christianity doesn't hinder science), you should use examples from after 1905 if you choose physicists.

Wicknight said:
    Does that matter?

If they can be inspired by God to recognise and rule on existing scripture they can be inspired by God to create new scripture. After all you either are or are not inspired by God.
    Their approval of the canon was not the same as being inspired as the prophets and apostles. God caused them to make the right decisions, but did not give them the ability to teach infallibly. God may cause you to decide something, but that doesn't make you an apostle.
    Paul wasn't an apostle though was he?
    Yes, he was:
    Galatians 1:1 Paul, an apostle (not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead),

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Originally Posted by J C
    The conception of each Human Being is an interaction between our free will and God’s Divine Providence – and neither are completely autonamous

Schuhart
    Hence God is not all powerful.

God IS all-powerful – but He has given us free will, and He has therefore (voluntarily and lovingly) circumscribed His complete omnipotence, as a result.

Originally Posted by J C
    they are therefore ‘Creationist Churches’ – because they require their members to proclaim Creeds that confirm God as ‘Creator / Maker’ of Heaven and Earth and all life therein.

Schuhart
    Which brings us back to that question of a time limit - which is missing from the creeds you refer to. Hence it is possible to interpret the 'creator' concept as a spiritual thing that means there is no conflict with evolution, as many, if not most, Christians do.

The words ‘Creator’ and ‘Maker’ in the Creeds are not a spiritual thing – they clearly and unambiguously declare God to be the PHYSICAL Creator of the Universe and all life!!!

Could I point out that the words “Maker” and “Creator” remove all doubt that the Early Churches believed in a LITERAL Creation.
    They also placed it in the first sentence of their Professions of Faith, such was the critical importance that they attached to definitively answering the ‘origins question’.

These Creeds are STILL mandatory Articles of Faith for all Roman Catholics and within the Anglican and Lutheran Churches as well as the Orthodox Denominations – thereby making all of these Churches officially 'Creationist Churches.'

Equally, Reformed Churches largely believe in a literal interpretation of Genesis thereby making these Confessions 'Creationist Churches' also.

A Theistic Evolutionist could postulate that God (being omnipotent and omniscient) used Evolution instead of Direct Creation to ‘produce’ all life.
    However, neither the Bible nor observed reality would support this contention – we have a fossil record with enormous gaps between kinds, living creatures with enormous gaps between kinds and an array of useful proteins with enormous differences between each one of them!!!!

This situation doesn’t indicate gradual evolution – but it is objectively consistent with Direct Creation.:cool:

There isn’t a hint of any form of gradualism or Evolution in the Genesis Account or in the plain statements in the Apostles and Nicene Creeds.

The mainstream Churches COULD be wrong in holding to Creationist Creeds (although I believe that they are correct, on this issue).
    However, it is completely invalid to argue that somehow the word CREATE in the Creeds actually means EVOLVE!!! :confused:

Creation and Evolution are completely separate concepts. A perfect fiat Creation is a reflection of God’s absolute perfection and omnipotence.
    On the other hand, ‘Big Picture Evolution’ was originally devised by Materialists in an attempt to explain the origin of life without God.

The power of God is such that He didn’t need to use a process of gradual Evolution to produce life – He is quite capable of producing an instantaneous perfect Creation – He said that he did it in six days, and as all of the observable evidence supports this hypothesis, I believe Him.:cool:

God chose to Directly and rapidly Create life and set the Laws of the Universe in such a way that life couldn’t be spontaneously generated. This was to ensure that there could be no doubt that life was originally produced by Him – and thus no doubt that He exists.
    God confirmed this fact in Rom 1:20 “For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:”

Bluewolf
    Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar?
    I DONT KNOW SO IT MUST BE GOD

“How could muck spontaneously produce life ?”
    “I DON’T KNOW SO IT MUST BE ‘EVOLUTION’!!!!”:D :)

Robin
    if you're perfectly right yourself, and somebody is supplying you with information which agrees with you, then it doesn't matter who controls your information supply -- you'll agree without thinking, which is what it's really all about!

So that is HOW Evolutionists continue to believe in the preposterous idea that they magically and spontaneously evolved from muck!!!:D
    I suppose it does help not to think too deeply (or at all) about the validity of such a proposition!!!:)

When I THOUGHT about it myself – I came to the conclusion that life couldn’t be spontaneously generated!!!

I THOUGHT about it again – and I became a Creationist!!!!!

Scofflaw
    I am afraid that you will find that the properties necessary to support near-vertical walls of that height, and the properties necessary to allow water to cut through material at the rate you imagine, are mutually exclusive.

No!!!!
    The Grand Canyon was cut as a result of enormous volumes of water acting over a short period of time on rapidly setting cement-infused sediments.

Originally Posted by JC
    I thought that Theistic Evolutionists DIDN’T believe that the ‘origins question’ was IMPORTANT – and yet, here they are setting aside a special Sunday to focus on Evolution and Darwin

Scofflaw
    I'm not sure where you got that idea - it's important enough to be at the start of the Nicene Creed, which you may remember?

I fully agree that the ‘origins question’ is very important – but Theistic Evolutionists on this thread have repeatedly asked for the thread to be shut down, because they claimed that it was a waste of time discussing the issue of Creation versus Evolution………
    ……..and now we find their colleagues organising ‘Darwin Sunday’!!!!:confused:

Scofflaw
    For the umpteenth time, mutation is not proposed as the mechanism for evolution. Mutation is proposed as one mechanism for generating genetic diversity, and evolution depends on the operation of natural selection on genetic diversity.

Mutations destroy information – and any subsequently selection of the degraded information won’t generate any new information!!!!

Scofflaw
    Your attempt to claim that these ash-fall layers are varves doesnt work, because ash-fall layers are not varves.

I didn’t say that these layers were varves – I said that they were ‘varve-like’.

…….and the ‘varve-like’ layers in sedimentary rocks that Evolutionists talk about aren’t varves EITHER!!!:eek:

Scofflaw
    we know from direct observation that soils form very slowly indeed - about 1mm in 200-400 years (c. 1-2t/ha/yr). To produce the minimum two foot (609mm) of soil mature trees require takes about 120,000 years.

In the 4000 years since the Flood, the earth has had time to produce a maximum depth of 20mm of soil in any given place - less than an inch.

…….then how do you explain the formation of 3 METRE deep soils in Meath and Kildare – on land that Evolutionists also agree was glaciated less than 5,000 years ago????

Wicknight
    If God is pained by something that happened at some point on the universe's time line, he is pained in the same instant of creation, at the same time feeling everything else in relation to what is happening.

Therefore it is absolutely nonsense to describe God having regret, feeling shock or anger at anything that happens. These are human emotions, because humans live inside the time line. We experience one moment to the next and as such our emotional state changes based on what moment we are in at the present time.

That concept doesn't apply to God. God's emotional state does not change because God exists out side of time and as such does not move through time from moment to moment as we do. Though I can understand why men living in a desert 4000 years ago who probably didn't think about this a whole lot, would think it would.

If anything states that God experiences these emotional changes it is wrong. Genesis does, therefore Genesis is wrong.

God is a personal God and therefore He DOES have emotions – of love and righteous anger.
    Humans (who are made in God’s image and LIKENESS) also have these emotions !!!!

…..so Genesis IS God’s infallible Word – and He DID regret making Humans – but in His supreme sovereignty God allowed the Human Race to survive via Noah and his family – and I for one am eternally grateful to Him for doing so!!!!!

Originally Posted by J C
    For example, a person may be told by a doctor that a parent has only three months to live – and when the parent dies three months later, the pain can be very acute, even though the person knew in advance that the parent was going to die

Wicknight
    Are either of those people gods? Do either of those people live outside of time and view all time as a single entity? No .... well then what are you talking about?

The point that I was making is that it is possible to know in advance that something will happen, and still regret that it happens – and that is why God (emotionally) regretted creating Mankind, even though He (intellectually) knew when He created them that they would fall.
    In fact the Creation of Mankind is the triumph of God's perfect love over His righteous anger - just like Jesus Christ's death on the cross was the triumph of God's grace over His justice.

Originally Posted by J C
    IF your idea WAS VALID then the issue wouldn’t be whether Genesis is LITERAL or not

Wicknight
    Trust me, it is valid. I know this because after repeating this paradox for about a year or so on this forum everyone who disagrees just stops discussing it when I bring it up, which is a sure sign that they don't have a response, they can't figure out who it can be wrong though they wish it was, and would rather just not think about it.

I imagine you will do the same....

It isn’t valid - and any Christian, indwelt with the Holy Spirit, could correct you on your mistake.:)

Originally Posted by J C
    Your idea would question the very EXISTENCE of God (as you have confirmed in the above quote yourself).

Wicknight
    No, it questions the ability of the Bible to accurately describe God, or to speak for God. But then most Christians don't believe the Bible does accurately describe God, though they think it is a good stab at it.

.....but The Bible is the Word of God……..
    ……..and the Bible is therefore accurate in every respect.

Originally Posted by J C
    However, your idea is INVALID as God can, in His sovereignty, regret creating Mankind – because we have used our free wills to defy Him.

Wicknight
    No He wouldn't That makes as much sense as saying God can, in His sovereignty, be wrong or make a mistake or cause Himself to not exist anymore.

It is an unworkable paradox.

God would not and cannot regret anything He does because God does not move through time like we do, and regret is a human emotion defined by our passage through time and the change in emotional state.

God, for a start, doesn't have memories. Memories require a movement through time, and a past to actually be remembers. God neither moves through time, nor does He have a past to remember in either. Therefore He cannot regret something He remembers doing in the past because God doesn't have a past.

Secondly God doesn't have a "future" because just like He doesn't move through time to have a past behind Him, He doesn't have a future time to move into. Therefore stating that when God gets to a certain moment He will be pained by something and feel regret is nonsense. There is no "when" from His point of view, He doesn't move through time, He exists above time viewing the entire past present and future of the universe as one single point.

You cannot apply any of the human emotions that require the passage of time to God because God does not move through time. Therefore anything that does this, including Genesis, is being incorrect or inaccurate.

So far the only way any Christians on this forum have ever attempted to explain away this conflict is by using examples based in our universe, using our system of time, and using our emotions that rely on this system of time, just like you did above.

God is BOTH transcendent and imminent. He therefore exists BOTH outside of time AND within time.
    Jesus Christ is true God and true Man and existed within time when He was on Earth. Equally, God continues to watch over His Creation within time and His Holy Spirit also indwells Christians within time.

As I have already said, it is entirely possible that God could regret creating Mankind – while knowing in advance that we were going to ‘fall’ – and He still decided to save us afterwards, even though we didn’t deserve to be saved!!!!

Such is the sovereign love and magnanimity of God.:cool:

Wicknight
    most seem to simply view God as a very powerful human, albeit confined by the same emotional structures, and by the same rules of time, as we are.

God is indeed all-powerful and He exists outside of time.
    ……but He is ALSO merciful and He acts within time when He wants to relate to Humans (who are currently bound by time).
    He also shares our ‘likeness’ and therefore He does feel emotions.
    He is a loving righteous God who wants to save both you and me – and all that He asks is that we believe on Him.

Wicknight
    Personally I think it is much better to read the Bible and decide for yourself, freely, what you think makes sense and what doesn't make sense to you, based on your own beliefs and morality. Far to many people hinge their beliefs on what they are told they should believe.

I agree – and the only qualification I would make, is that you should ideally become a Christian indwelt with the Holy Spirit as well, so that you won’t make any mistakes in interpreting the Bible!!!!:)

The Bible is a spiritually discerned book – and it therefore may not be fully understood by the unsaved.
    This is confirmed in 1Co 2:14 “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”

Scofflaw
    God is ineffable, unknowable, moves in mysterious ways, and is far beyond human understanding.

But we know he hates fags.

….. God LOVES all people – and wants to save them – but the decision to be saved is up to each person.

Scofflaw
    Is there room out there, do you think, for a church which employs pastors whose sole job is to congratulate you, and remind you that whatever the heck it is you're doing, it's probably God's plan, so keep right on doing that thing?

There are many liberal churches out there.

However ALL Humans are judgemental – it is only the behaviour, which triggers their condemnation that varies.

Some people love sin, but condemn the sinner.

Christians condemn sin, but love the repentant sinner.:cool:

Originally Posted by JimiTime
    from a scientifically educated view and on the basis of what science currently knows. Do you think there'll ever be a scientific explaination for the Cause of the ball of cosmos that went boom, i.e. the big bang?

Wicknight
    From a scientifically educated view and on the basis of what science currently knows the more honest and truthful answer to that question is - No idea

The ‘cause’ of the Big Bang is the fruitful imagination of Materialists determined to explain the origins of the Universe without God!!!!:D :)

………..and as Wicknight confirms, Materialists have no idea what caused the Big Bang – because the Big Bang NEVER happened!!!!!:eek:

wolfsbane wrote:
    Their approval of the canon was not the same as being inspired as the prophets and apostles. God caused them to make the right decisions, but did not give them the ability to teach infallibly. God may cause you to decide something, but that doesn't make you an apostle.

Yes, he was:
    Galatians 1:1 Paul, an apostle (not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead),

So, then - what makes Paul an apostle? His only experience of Jesus was one that any Christian can also have - so why is he an apostle, and not them? Is it simply because he is in the Bible, and others are not? Does the closure of the Bible also mean the end of apostles?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Robin
    Duck born with four legs:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/6371901.stm

I look forward to JC explaining how this is completely non-beneficial!

What is ‘beneficial’ about a duck with four legs – when two are adequate for it’s needs?:confused:

It wouldn’t know whether it was coming or going!!!!:D :)

Wicknight
    Clearly it is happening along God's path of predetermined genetic diversity since otherwise any mutation would cause the animal to you know, explode. Or combust. Or melt. Or something equally nasty.

A quadruped Duck is a result of a multiplication ERROR – and the condition is DELETERIOUS.

No new genetic information was added to produce a second COPY pair of legs.

Equally, the duck won’t explode – it will just carry on waddling about until it dies – which would be quite quickly in the wild.

Could I also point out that NO improved or different structures were produced – merely two legs where they shouldn’t be.
    Equally, the extra legs weren’t produced ‘gradually’ – as would be predicted by Evolution.

Such multiplication errors are relatively common – we have supernumerary nipples in Humans – and supernumerary legs in Ducks.
    …………but the bad news for Evolutionists, is that supernumerary nipples and supernumerary legs are functionally USELESS!!!!:D

Wicknight
    "This is clearly God trying to confuse evolutionists".

No, Evolutionists are eminently capable of confusing THEMSELVES – and neither God nor ‘four legged ducks’ are needed to trigger the process……….:

………just a little bit of muck and a lot of (imaginary) added time is enough to get Evolutionists 'spontaneously generating' the most amazing stories………:
    ………like the one about the four legged duck that evolved into a rat which then evolved into a Human!!!!!

An alternative version of the story is the one about a frog that became a prince – it supposedly took many, many millions of years – and a complete body makeover – but unfortunately (for Evolution and the Frog) it was just a fairytale!!!!:D

Wicknight
    you will notice that the mutation itself didn't kill the duck The mutation appears to be harmless, it causes no failure of organs or damage to internal systems. That is what JC claims would happen. JC has on numerous occasions claimed that a mutation that would cause as significant a change in organism would be lethal to the organism.

Could I gently point out that multiplicative errors DON’T tend to be lethal – supernumerary nipples never killed anybody as far as I am aware!!!!:D

Wicknight
    If mutation can cause significant alteration in a creature's design causing it to grow another arm, or another let, or another eye, then that is evolution right there.

No.
    An extra COPY of some anatomical structure doesn’t explain the problem that Evolution is addressing – which is the production of a functional anatomical structure, in the first place.

A photocopier can produce any number of copies of an original work – but intelligence IS required to produce the original work.

Ditto for anatomical structures including nipples and duck’s feet !!!!

Originally Posted by Wolfsbane
    You misrepresent Creationism (and JC) by saying it holds that any genetic defect is immediately or necessarily fatal. THEY NEVER SAY SUCH A THING

Wicknight
    Actually he says it all the time. In fact he said it in his first post

Originally Posted by JC
    Why is the only mechanism postulated by Evolution to produce genetic variation – genetic mutation – invariably damaging to the genome resulting in lethal and semi lethal conditions most of the time?

Firstly, could I point out that I used the words “most of the time” and not “always” in relation to the observed predominance of lethal and semi-lethal mutations.

Secondly, Multiplicative Mutations (like four legged ducks and supernumerary nipples) are amongst the LEAST deleterious category of mutation, because they merely trigger an erroneous copy an existing anatomical feature – and so these mutations don’t usually affect other essential structures – which WOULD prove fatal.

Bluewolf
    So bats really are birds and rabbits/hares really do chew their cud?

Ah, yes the FLYING Bats and the CHEWING Rabbits AGAIN!!!!

Deut 14:1-21 was a Dietary Law for the Israelites. It was meant to allow easy identification of Kosher and ‘unclean’ animals by ORDINARY people using SUPERFICIAL characteristics.

Even though both Camelida (which are Ruminants) and Leporidae & Procaviidae (which aren’t Ruminants) all engage in chewing behaviour, these creatures were highlighted in Deut 14:7 as the EXCEPTIONS to the general rule that ‘cud chewing’ animals could be eaten.
    Deut 14:7 was NEVER meant to be a scientific means of identifying these animals – it was only meant to assist ordinary Israelites in complying with the Dietary Law.

Similarly all flying creatures, that couldn't be eaten by the Israelites are identified in Deut 14:12-19.
    The Bat is included as an ‘unclean’ flying creature Deut 14:18 – next to the other large cateogory of ‘unclean’ flying creatures, the insects, in Deut 14:19.

Could I also point out that ruminants regurgitate their partially digested feed – while rabbits ‘reflect’ their partially digested dung.
    The fact that it was the chewing 'dung eaters’ that were declared by God to be ‘unclean’ actually proves the veracity of the Bible.
    Science only discovered that Rabbits eat their own dung in the last hundred years – but God correctly declared them to be ‘unclean’ for Kosher Meat purposes over 3,000 years ago!!!!

........and that is why I don't eat Rabbits (and other assorted 'dung chewers') myself!!!!

Our God reigns!!!:D

Scofflaw
    Reading recent articles about their use of tools and spears, the evolutionary point of view is obvious - chimps are closely related to us, so not so surprising. From the Creationist point of view - how come?

Have Chimps ‘devolved’ to using spears now???

I recall that over 20 years ago, Chimps were wearing pin-striped suits and making ads for tea!!!!!:D

Some birds use stones as tools and I suppose an Evolutionist could argue that the Dung Beetle has even discovered the ‘wheel’
    ……….OK, the dung balls are spherical – which would make them three-dimensional ‘wheels’ – and therefore probably an even more impressive achievement for the Dung Beetle, in the minds of Evolutionits !!!!

I can hardly wait for the first Dung Beetle to become a Mechanic – and the first Chimp to become an Evolutionist – or will it be the other way around???:D

Scofflaw
    The question is not whether Creation, or abiogenesis, were observed. It is whether they are provable from forensic evidence.

I've used this analogy before, because it's apt - that of a murder trial. The absence of witnesses (observers) does not invalidate the verdict, but means that the verdict must be reached through the examination of evidence.

So do you think that a jury would acquit a murder suspect whose only explanation, in the face of overwhelming evidence, is that “muck must have spontaneously ‘arose’ and killed the victim with a point 22 bullet"???:D

pH
    In spite of the importance of antimicrobial resistance, we show that the actual word “evolution” is rarely used in the papers describing this research. Instead, antimicrobial resistance is said to “emerge,” “arise,” or “spread” rather than “evolve.”

It is technically correct to use the terms “emerge,” “arise,” and “spread” of antibiotic resistance – as it DOES arise, emerge and spread from the pre-existing genetic diversity potential of the organisms concerned.

Because the word ‘evolve’ has acquired the image of ‘muck to man evolution’ in the popular mind, it isn’t a precise enough word to SCIENTIFICALLY describe how antibiotic resistance arises, emerges and spreads!!!!:eek: :D

Originally Posted by Wicknight
    I always wondered how one would explain bacterial resistence to a religious person who rejected evolution as simply something that doesn't happen, end of story. Maybe they put bacterial resistence down to Satan or the Fall or something

Scofflaw
    Easy. Pre-existing genetic diversity. Next, please!

Actually, I think we have JC on record claiming exactly that.

I’d call that SUCCESS……..
    ……..one Evolutionist confirming the veracity of Creation Science to another Evolutionist!!!!:D

Robin
    Then there's the similar story about the Samurai Crab from Japan which had its seven-and-a-half minutes of fame on Carl Sagan's Cosmos years ago:

http://www.kirainet.com/english/heike-crab/

...but the story, it turns out may be over-stated:

http://www.docbug.com/blog/archives/000701.html

Another SUCCESS………..
    ……….an Evolutionist debunking the wild imaginings of another Evolutionist!!!!!:D

Son Goku
    A good piece of evidence for evolution that I just came across recently, is apparently genetic dating of head lice shows that their population bottlenecked about 100,000 years ago.
    Genetic dating of humans indicates that our population bottlenecked 100,000 years ago. So we have two independant sets of data correlating evolutionary data for a parasite and its host

Another SUCCESS……….
    ………an Evolutionist confirms the veracity of the population bottleneck AKA Noah’s Flood……
    ……….….he got the date wrong ………
    ……………….but I would still give him good marks for his efforts in the pursuit of Creation Science excellence!!!!!!:D

wolfsbane wrote:
    God caused them to make the right decisions, but did not give them the ability to teach infallibly.
    They would disagree. And since God caused them to make the right decisions and they are closer to God than you can you not understand why people would believe them? It seems rather strange that you are telling them what they can and cannot do when they are the ones with a direct connection to God?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Yes, he was:

Well "self appointed" doesn't really count Wolfsbane ....

J C wrote:
    God is a personal God and therefore He DOES have emotions – of love and righteous anger.
    Then he cannot exist outside time and is a slave to time as much as we are ...

You can't have it both ways JC, it is a paradox. It doesn't work.
    J C wrote:
    …..so Genesis IS God’s infallible Word – and He DID regret making Humans

What part of "paradox" do you not understand ... the "para" or the "dox" bit?
    J C wrote:
    The point that I was making is that it is possible to know in advance that something will happen, and still regret that it happens
    Not if you are a God. God, according to your religion, doesn't make an educated guess at what will happen in the future like humans do. He is supposed to see everything in one instance. Therefore he cannot regret anything happens because regret requires that the person be moving through time as humans do.

As I said God cannot exist outside time and experience regret. Paradox
    J C wrote:
    Wicknight

I imagine you will do the same....

It isn’t valid - and any Christian, indwelt with the Holy Spirit, could correct you on your mistake.:)
    Oh look .. you did do the same :rolleyes:

P.A.R.A.D.O.X ...
    J C wrote:
    God is BOTH transcendent and imminent. He therefore exists BOTH outside of time AND within time.
    That means he exists outside time, since doing that over rules existing in time. If one is not a slave to time then saying he exists in it is irrelevant.

Its pretty clear JC that you actually have no idea how to discuss this, I would imagine because it has never dawned on you the consequences of your belief actually are. So I will give you a bit to think about it ...
    J C wrote:
    As I have already said, it is entirely possible that God could regret creating Mankind
    No actually as I've explained (a few times now) it is entirely impossible that that could happen.

It is a paradox, a paradox for which you, and no one else on this forum, actually has an answer for. As such you simply just quote back the same old religious dogma back at me like a broken record, as I predicted in my last post that you would. And as I predict you will continue to do because you have no answer or way to explain this paradox away.
    J C wrote:
    ……but He is ALSO merciful and He acts within time when He wants to relate to Humans (who are currently bound by time).
    Paradox

It is always interested how much fundamentalist theists like as yourself really don't understand the religious theology that you post. It is clear by the way that you are just blindly and mindlessly (and rather in vain) posting back the dogma you have memoriesed with no real meaning of what you are posting in a vain attempt to respond to something you clearly don't understand.

It is a paradox. I've explained why, more than once. I would be happy to explain it any number of times again. Simply posting back nonsense replies basically saying "no its not, no its not" like a child is ridiculous JC. You don't have a proper way to respond because I suspect you don't know how to respond. You don't have a solution to this one, and your memories Bible dogma or AnswersInGenesis search engine ain't going to help you with this one. You are replying on your own intelligence, which is probably why you don't have a response.

JC wrote:
    So do you think that a jury would acquit a murder suspect whose only explanation, in the face of overwhelming evidence, is that “muck must have spontaneously ‘arose’ and killed the victim with a point 22 bullet"???

He's back...and he's mad as heck!! Something of the kind, anyway.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

J C wrote:
    No new genetic information was added to produce a second COPY pair of legs.
    That isn't true. The mutation that produced them was added, which was new genetic information. Otherwise the duck would not have mutated.
    J C wrote:
    Could I also point out that NO improved or different structures were produced – merely two legs where they shouldn’t be.
    That isn't true. 4 legs instead of 2 is a different structured creature JC. Seriously JC, biology 101 here... this isn't hard ....
    J C wrote:
    Equally, the extra legs weren’t produced ‘gradually’ – as would be predicted by Evolution.
    That isn't true. If that is what you think evolution says you don't understand evolution. Oh wait thats right, you don't understand evolution.
    J C wrote:
    …………but the bad news for Evolutionists, is that supernumerary nipples and supernumerary legs are functionally USELESS!!!!:D
    That isn't true. There are plenty of animals that would have use for extra limbs.

Wow, JC is only back a few hours and already 4 lies in .... good going, even for you ....
    J C wrote:
    Could I gently point out that multiplicative errors DON’T tend to be lethal
    So where you lying before when you said they were?
    J C wrote:
    An extra COPY of some anatomical structure doesn’t explain the problem that Evolution is addressing – which is the production of a functional anatomical structure, in the first place.
    That isn't true. This example explains evolution perfectly. Since you don't actually understand what evolution is I doubt you will get this point. But then there you go...
    J C wrote:
    A photocopier can produce any number of copies of an original work – but intelligence IS required to produce the original work, in the first place.
    More nonsense. A photocopier doesn't replicate itself. .
    J C wrote:
    Firstly, could I point out that I used the words “most of the time” and not “always” in relation to the predominance of lethal and semi-lethal mutations.
    So by most of the time you actually meant "hardly ever".... oh sorry, my mistake :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    Secondly, Multiplicative Mutations (like four legged ducks and supernumerary nipples) are amongst the LEAST deleterious category of mutation, because they erroneously copy an existing anatomical feature – and so these mutations don’t usually affect other essential structures – which WOULD prove fatal.
    Except when they don't. Which is most of the time....
    J C wrote:
    I’d call that SUCCESS……..
    ……..one Evolutionist confirming the veracity of Creation Science to another Evolutionist!!!!:D

Nice reply. Can one assume you don't actually have a proper response?
    J C wrote:
    Another SUCCESS……….
    ………an Evolutionist confirms the veracity of the population bottleneck AKA Noah’s Flood……

Which took place 100,000 years ago ... oh wait, NO IT DIDN'T

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    J C wrote:

If the date is wrong then so is the support of the bottleneck. So now you are in a pickle (you find yourself a lot in these pickles). If this is correct then head lice have been around for at least 100,000 years, which contradicts Genesis so that can't be right. But on the other hand this confirms a human population bottle neck, which would seem to confirm Genesis.

What to do JC, what to do! ... I'm sure you will figure something out ... :rolleyes:

J C wrote:
    It wouldn’t know whether it was coming or going!!!!:D :)
    First evolution was increased adaptation to a specific environment. Later in the thread you demoted it to whether there is any visible external difference to the animals appearance. (To allow you away with that "kinds" crap, e.g. "It still looks like a dog, lol!!")
    Now something only evolves if the animal's body doesn't gain a symmetry you find amusing.
    J C wrote:
    So do you think that a jury would acquit a murder suspect whose only explanation, in the face of overwhelming evidence, is that “muck must have spontaneously ‘arose’ and killed the victim with a point 22 bullet"???
    Quit being an eegit and speak sensibly.
    J C wrote:
    Another SUCCESS……….
    ……………….but I would still give him top marks for his efforts in the cause of Creation Science!!!!!!:D
    Except, there were eight such instances. Can you explain what the other seven were?

Wicknight said:
    It is a paradox, a paradox for which you, and no one else on this forum, actually has an answer for. As such you simply just quote back the same old religious dogma back at me like a broken record, as I predicted in my last post that you would. And as I predict you will continue to do because you have no answer or way to explain this paradox away.
    Your 'paradox' is entirely of your own imagination. Maybe that's why you haven't accepted previous rebuttals: to you it is a paradox.

Let me put it this way: God is the One who can say whether He feels emotions or not, or regrets doing something He knew would go bad. If, after making due allowances for anthropomorphisms, there seems no reason why God should feel like this, we need to remember that He is the one existing in eternity and we are the ones unable even to comprehend the concept of eternity or infinity, nor non-eternity or a finite universe.

So you will see why Wickie's opinion on how eternity works has little weight (with theists anyway).

wolfsbane wrote:
    Maybe that's why you haven't accepted previous rebuttals: to you it is a paradox.

There hasn't been any rebuttals. None what so ever. What has been so far I would struggle to call responses.

What there has been a lot of is posts along the lines of -

- "The Bible says God can feel regret, therefore God can feel regret"

or

- "Humans can feel regret therefore God can feel regret, because God is like us"

or

- "We cannot understand God, therefore we cannot say anything about his nature, or judge the correctness of anything that does"

The first one is hard to take seriously at all, it is just nonsense (if the Bible said black is white would that make it true. Of course not. The only conclusion would be that the Bible is wrong).

The second, which is repeated most often, bizarrely ignores that fact that we are neither gods, nor do we exist outside of time. Comparing us and our emotions, formed inside beings who are enslaved to time, to a god that is neither enslaved to the past, present or the future, is nonsensical.

The third is also nearly as strange as the first, since all the Bible does is attempt to explain God and his nature. If it holds as an assertion then the Bible is as equally an invalid attempt at explaining God's nature as this post is.

Neither are rebuttals, all three are attempts to respond to something that the replying poster doesn't actually seem to understand how to respond to.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Let me put it this way: God is the One who can say whether He feels emotions or not, or regrets doing something He knew would go bad.
    I see you are going for option, that the Bible says God feels regret therefore God feels regret. Not the most popular response, since most posters at least attempt to make an argument, no matter how weak, as to why my cry of "paradox" is logically flawed. But I suppose the It just says so right! response is as invalid on a religious forum as any other.

The point you are missing or choosing to ignore is that such a statement is a paradox and therefore cannot be correct. It is as incorrect as a you might say the statement "God is evil" is incorrect, in that it cannot be true, even if God said it himself.

Therefore the Bible is either wrong about God feeling regret, or wrong about the nature of God in the first place.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    If, after making due allowances for anthropomorphisms, there seems no reason why God should feel like this, we need to remember that He is the one existing in eternity and we are the ones unable even to comprehend the concept of eternity or infinity, nor non-eternity or a finite universe.

Ah yes, nonsense response number three. We cannot understand so we cannot conclude.

But actually we can comprehend both eternity as a mathematical model and infinity as a mathematical model. Mathematicians have been doing this for hundreds of years.

We can very easily deduce a number of conclusions about God and his nature if he does in fact exist outside of time and views all time as one.

The only possible conclusion is that God does not move through time as we do, because saying that God is enslaved to the present as we are would contradict the statement that he isn't. As such he would not, by definition, experience humans emotions that are defined by our inability to exist except in the present.

Think of it this way. You claim that God sees all, and is present in all places. So, imagine the question "Can God get physically lost the way a human can get lost?"

Now I would imagine you would quite confidently and quicly state straight off the bat "No, he can't, because it would be impossible for God to not understand where he is in relation to everything else in the universe"

In doing so the assertions 2 and 3 given above go out the window. God is like us, but that doesn't mean he can get lost as we do. The nature of God is unknowable, but we can still conclude, based on the initial definition of God, that God cannot get lost as such as statement would be a paradox

God cannot get lost because getting lost implies being unaware of where you physically are and since God is aware of everything he can never be unaware of a physical location in the universe with relation to every other physical location.

When I say that God can't experience regret (or in fact have any changes of emotional state at all) I'm actually doing nothing more than what a theists or theologian would do when faced with the question "Can God get lost" It is the only conclusion given the initial definition of God.

Saying God feels regret, or other human emotions that are defined by the passage of time, is exactly the same as stating that God can get lost, in that it is an unworkable paradox. Either these statements cannot be true or the initial nature of God as defined by the Judeo/Christian religion cannot be true.

It is either one or the other.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    So you will see why Wickie's opinion on how eternity works has little weight (with theists anyway).

Groan :rolleyes:

Wolfsbane you simply ignore the paradox, which is not a rebuttal, its not even a response, it is instead simply nothing.

It is as nonsensical as responding to the paradox "Can God make an object that He cannot move" by simply saying "Yes he can, now hush! No further questions!!!" as an irritated Sunday school teacher might do when faced with questions they don't have the answers to.

Originally Posted by J C
    God is a personal God and therefore He DOES have emotions – of love and righteous anger

Wicknight
    Then he cannot exist outside time and is a slave to time as much as we are ...

You can't have it both ways JC,.

I am not having it both ways – it is God that is BOTH imminent and transcendent – and therefore He exists BOTH outside of AND within time.

God was outside of time when He created time at the moment of the creation of the Universe.

Jesus Christ is true God and true Man and existed within time when He was here on Earth.
    Equally, God continues to watch over His Creation within time and His Holy Spirit also indwells Christians within time.

Wicknight
    it is a paradox. It doesn't work

It may indeed be paradoxical – but it is also logical, and it does work!!!:D

Wicknight
    God, according to your religion, doesn't make an educated guess at what will happen in the future like humans do. He is supposed to see everything in one instance. Therefore he cannot regret anything happens because regret requires that the person be moving through time as humans do.

As I said God cannot exist outside time and experience regret. Paradox

God is ALSO an imminent personal God who exists within time and experiences emotions.
    He therefore can emotionally regret Creating Mankind while 'moving through' time - just like humans (who are made in His Image and Likeness) can also experience regret.

The fact that God knew that Man would fall doesn’t lessen His regret when we did fall.
    Indeed God was so moved by our self-imposed plight, that He humbled Himself to come down on Earth, as a man to save us!!!!:cool:

Wicknight
    That means he exists outside time, since doing that over rules existing in time. If one is not a slave to time then saying he exists in it is irrelevant.

God ISN'T a slave to time – He is sovereign both within and outside of time.

Wicknight
    it has never dawned on you the consequences of your belief actually are. So I will give you a bit to think about it ...

The consequences of a belief on Jesus Christ is to be saved and spend an eternity with God in Heaven.

The consequence of a refusal to believe on Jesus Christ is to be eternally lost.

……..so EVERYBODY should certainly take some time out to think about it!!!!!

Originally Posted by J C

Wicknight
    It is a paradox. I've explained why, more than once. I would be happy to explain it any number of times again. Simply posting back nonsense replies basically saying "no its not, no its not" like a child is ridiculous JC. You don't have a proper way to respond because I suspect you don't know how to respond. You don't have a solution to this one, and your memories Bible dogma or AnswersInGenesis search engine ain't going to help you with this one. You are replying on your own intelligence, which is probably why you don't have a response.

The Oxford Dictionary defines a paradox as a SEEMINGLY “self-contradictory statement or proposition that may in fact be TRUE

So God’s immanence and transcendence may indeed be paradoxical – but they are also TRUE!!!

You may huff and puff – but ultimately you know that God loves you and wants to save you.

You may run, but you cannot hide from God’s Justice or His Grace – and the decision as to which you will choose is literally a ‘life or death’ decision – which every person must make, of their own free will!!!!
    God has confirmed this eternal Human dilemma in Det 30:19b “I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live.”

Originally Posted by J C
    No new genetic information was added to produce a second COPY pair of legs

Wicknight
    The mutation that produced them was added, which was new genetic information. Otherwise the duck would not have mutated.

A photocopier may multiply existing information or it could degrade it – but it never ADDS new information.

Ditto for genetic information with a quadruped Duck!!!!! :)

New information is produced through a creative act by intelligence.
    Ditto with Ducks legs – but NOT with copies thereof !!!:D

Wicknight
    There are plenty of animals that would have use for extra limbs.

An extra pair of legs on a Duck is about as ‘useful’ as two heads on a Calf…….
    ……at best a total nuisance and at worst a disaster!!!!!

Originally Posted by J C
    A photocopier can produce any number of copies of an original work – but intelligence IS required to produce the original work, in the first place

Wicknight
    ……... A photocopier doesn't replicate itself.

A photocopier replicates written information – and DNA replicates genetic information.

…….and the ultimate source of both written and genetic information is intelligence!!!!

Originally Posted by J C
    Firstly, could I point out that I used the words “most of the time” and not “always” in relation to the predominance of lethal and semi-lethal mutations

Wicknight
    So by most of the time you actually meant "hardly ever"

No!!
    By “most of the time” I mean to convey the concept of “most of the time”……:D

Originally Posted by J C
    Another SUCCESS……….

Wicknight
    Which took place 100,000 years ago ... oh wait, NO IT DIDN'T

Yet another SUCCESS – with an Evolutionist self-correcting himself on the date of Noah’s Flood……

…….Oh Happy Days!!!!:D

Originally Posted by J C
    (A four legged Duck) wouldn’t know whether it was coming or going!!!

Son Goku
    First evolution was increased adaptation to a specific environment. Later in the thread you demoted it to whether there is any visible external difference to the animals appearance. (To allow you away with that "kinds" crap, e.g. "It still looks like a dog, lol!!")

……but this four legged Duck looked like a Duck, quacked like a Duck and walked like a Duck – because it WAS still a Duck!!!!

Originally Posted by J C

Son Goku
    Quit being an eegit and speak sensibly.

The point that I was making is that anybody who would make a claim like the one above, about anything other than the origins of life would be ‘laughed out of court’……..

………..however, Evolutionists will look you straight in the face, and claim that muck DID in fact spontaneously ‘arise’ to produce, for example, a Human murderer complete with a Point 22 Rifle (as in the above scenario)!!!!!:D

So who is actually speaking sensibly here????

J C wrote:
    Son Goku wrote:
    ……but this four legged Duck looked like a Duck, quacked like a Duck and walked like a Duck – because it WAS still a Duck!!!!
    You refute my point by demonstrating the exact quality I criticised you for. An odd method of rebuke.

Anyway, where are the Quantum Gravity papers I asked for?
    I want some Creationist Quantum Gravity papers.

• Advertisement

J C wrote:
    I am not having it both ways – it is God that is BOTH imminent and transcendent – and therefore He exists BOTH outside of AND within time.

That doesn't matter. He either is or is not enslaved by the laws of time.

If someone is in a room and cannot leave that is not the same as someone who is in a room and can leave. One is stuck in the room, the other is not, and the consequences of that predicament are very different depending on which person you are.

If God is not enslaved by the passage of time then it is impossible for him to have the emotional states that we do, because our emotional states are dependent on the very fact that we are enslaved to the passage of time.
    J C wrote:
    God was outside of time when He created time at the moment of the creation of the Universe.

Jesus Christ is true God and true Man and existed within time when He was here on Earth.

Don't get me started on the paradox that is Jesus Christ. The simple fact of the matter is that Jesus existed for 34 years, and while he existed God also existed. At no point was God only Jesus
    J C wrote:
    Equally, God continues to watch over His Creation within time and His Holy Spirit also indwells Christians within time.
    All of that simple regurgitation of what the Bible has told you JC is rather pointless. It doesn't change the fact that it is a paradox, nor that the Bible is describing a paradox and therefore must be incorrect in at least some of what it says.
    J C wrote:
    God is ALSO an imminent personal God who exists within time and experiences emotions.

That doesn't matter, any more than the person being in the room matters if they are free to leave it when ever they want.

You are missing the fundamental point, that our emotions are defined by the characteristic of human life that we exist only in the present moment. The past is memories, the future hasn't happened yet.

God does not.

While he can exist in the present, he also at the same time exists in the past, in the future, and outside time completely, all in the same "instance". Therefore the nature of existing only in the present does not apply to God, as he does not exist only in the present. Therefore emotions that are defined by the human nature of existing only in the present, and the human quality of shifting emotions as time moves on, do not and cannot apply to God.
    J C wrote:
    He therefore can emotionally regret Creating Mankind while 'moving through' time
    He doesn't move through time JC, that is the whole point.

Saying God is at point A on a time line is ridiculous, because while being at point A God is also at all other points on the same time line.

So what moves?

Nothing moves because God is everywhere at the same time. Nothing moves from on point in time to the other because God is at all points in time at the same time, as one entity.
    J C wrote:
    - just like humans (who are made in His Image and Likeness) can also experience regret.
    Humans are not gods, and we do move through time. We exist only in the present and as such as time moves we move and our emotional states change.

As time moves God doesn't move, because God exists at all points anyway.

Think of it this way. You have a computer screen, all white, and in the top corner is a little red dot. This is the present, and we exist in this dot. As time moves on the dot moves from left to right, then wraps around the screen to the next line. Slowly the dot moves to the very bottom right hand corner of the screen. That is who we experience time.

How God experiences time would be the entire screen simply filled in red. All possible dots on the screen a filled. God exists at every point on the screen, as he exists at every point in time.

So from God's point of view the "present" is a meaningless concept. He understands where we, the moving red dot, is, but as far as he is concerned the whole screen is just read. Nothing moves, the screen is just completely read, God existing at all points. The state of God never changes, while our state, the little red dot moving through the white screen of past and future, changes constantly.
    J C wrote:
    The fact that God knew that Man would fall doesn’t lessen His regret when we did fall.

That doesn't make sense, because it was the same God, in the same state, at point A when the garden of Eden was created as it was at point B when man fell.

Remember the whole white screen, representing time, is red because God, the same God in the same state, exists at all points.

The exact same God, in the exact same state, existed when man fell as that existed when man was created. It is all the one God, existing right through time, the whole screen filled in red. God's emotional state cannot change because the same God that exists now also exists in all point in the future.

The state of God that existed at the moment of creation is the one that exists in all of time, including all of the future, because at the moment of creation God existed throughout the entire future.

God cannot exist in the future more than once He exists in the future and that is it.

Therefore the only emotional state God is ever in is the emotional state he is in at the moment of creation, because at that point that emotional state also exists right through the time line to the very end of time, since at that moment God exists right through time to the very end.
    J C wrote:
    Indeed God was so moved by our self-imposed plight
    God cannot be "moved" by anything as God is aware of everything that has or will ever happen in the one instant of creation.
    J C wrote:
    God ISN'T a slave to time – He is sovereign both within and outside of time.
    Thats my point. If he isn't a slave to time then he exists at all points at the same time, and the same exact God, the same exact state of God, that exists at the start of time also exists at the end of time, and everything in between. Therefore the passage of time has no effect on the state, emotional or otherwise, of God.
    J C wrote:
    The consequence of your belief is to be eternally lost.
    But not eternally confused, which is ok with me.
    J C wrote:
    The Oxford Dictionary defines a paradox as a SEEMINGLY “self-contradictory statement or proposition that may in fact be TRUE
    Groan .. check the whole definition JC ...

paradox -noun
    2. a self-contradictory and false proposition.

didn't we have this trouble with "fitness" already, you thinking that evolution was talking about how much an animal goes to the gym rather than the fitness to environment? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    You may huff and puff – but ultimately you know that God loves you and wants to save you.

Quite :rolleyes:

Can one assume that because you have resorted to the "Nah nah nah not listening" type replies that you don't actually have a proper response or answer? As I predicted?

J C wrote:
    A photocopier may multiply existing information or it could degrade it – but it never ADDS new information.
    Well leaving aside the fact that a photocopier isn't a self replicating system which doesn't mutate, the fact is that a photocopier can add new information, as anyone who has had a photocopier break on them and produce funny copies will testify to. Have you ever actually used a photocopier JC? Have you never heard of the stories of a photocopy error producing pictures that look awfully like Budda, Princess Diana, The Queen of England, or even the big man Jesus himself?
    J C wrote:
    New information is produced through a creative act by intelligence.
    Except when it isn't, as in the case of this creature. The limbs are not exact copies of the originals because they are not in the same place. Therefore they are new information. To the untrained eye (such as yours) I can see why you would think this (a leg is a leg is it not :rolleyes:) but to the biologically trained the differences are quite striking. The creatures biological structure has had to adapt greatly to these new additions.
    J C wrote:
    An extra pair of (non-functional) legs on a Duck is about as ‘useful’ as two heads on a Calf…….
    Well you couldn't possibly know that JC as you are not qualified in science to make that assessment. Based on your track record one can only assume that the opposite is in fact true.
    J C wrote:
    A photocopier can produce any number of copies of an original work – but intelligence IS required to produce the original work, in the first place

So if I place a blank page, or say a page of random numbers produced by a device used to measure wind speed, on a photocopier and make a copy this nonsense that means that this information on the page must be a design? Wind speed is intelligently designed now is it?

Seriously, I'm not sure you have thought that one through JC :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    A photocopier replicates written information – and DNA replicates genetic information.
    As I said, a photocopier doesn't replicate itself. Did you not understand that the first time I said it?
    J C wrote:
    No!!
    By “most of the time” I mean to convey the concept of “most of the time”……:D
    Which would be an incorrect statement as you have already admitted. Make up your mind JC
    J C wrote:
    Yet another SUCCESS – with an Evolutionist self-correcting himself on the date of Noah’s Flood……

So you admit that this research that places the bottle neck at 100,000 years ago wasn't Noah's flood, since that is supposed to have happened 6,000 years ago?

So why in Allah's name did you say this was Noah's flood, when you admit now that they weren't the same event since they took place 94,000 years apart?

You aren't making any sense JC?

J C wrote:
    ……but a four legged Duck still looks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck and walks like a Duck – because it IS still a Duck!!!!
    Wow, your science degree (assuming you actually have one, which I imagine few still do) must be really working over time with that deductive reasoning there JC.... :rolleyes:

Wicknight

"Yes he can, now hush! No further questions!!!" as an irritated Sunday school teacher might do when faced with questions they don't have the answers to.

I have never come across a Sunday School Teacher without answers to any question that is fundamental to the Christian Faith – an answer is always to be found in the Bible or by the direct inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

However, I have come across many EVOLUTIONISTS who have become very irritated – because of their complete inability to explain how muck could EVER spontaneously evolve into Man!!!!!:D

……..and Kevin Myers also confirms this fact on page 31 of today’s Irish Independent (9/3/07).
    He said that “even the most convinced Evolutionists become embarrassed and start mumbling in Eskimo when they try to explain the origin of complex left-handed protein molecules….”

…and Mr Myers’ withering comment on Darwinian Evolution is that "it stretches the bounds of possibility to breaking point to assert that every living thing in this world was created by a series of accidents, the odds against which are to be measured in zillion trillions”.

Evolution is completely invalid – and leading mainstream journalists like Kevin Myers are now beginning to recognise just how implausible the idea of ‘Muck to Man Evolution’ really is!!!! :D

Originally Posted by JC

Son Goku
    You refute my point by demonstrating the exact quality I criticised you for. An odd method of rebuke.
    Anyway, where are the Quantum Gravity papers I asked for?

Four legged Ducks and Quantum Gravity in the one breath – what an amazing thread this is!!!!!:eek:

Most Creationist Physicists have no problem with Quantum Mechanics, which has nothing to do with Evolution.

However, scientific explanations for Gravity are still highly speculative – and Quantum Gravity (and its putative Graviton) is amongst the most speculative.

Quantum Gravity is the ‘El Dorado’ of Modern Physics – and just about as elusive!!:)

The hope is that IF Quantum Gravity could be proven to exist it would provide the long-sought ‘missing link’ between Einstein’s General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics – and thus it could provide a vital component in the so-called ‘Theory of Everything’.

However, Quantum Gravity has NOT been observed in nature – and, as the following article confirms, even if significant lags in photon speeds are ever observed from high energy Gamma Ray bursts, many Astronomers will still validly argue that this could be due to the dynamics of the explosions and not because of the medium of space (with it’s putative Gravitons).
    http://www.astronomytoday.com/cosmology/quantumgrav.html

BTW did you know that Gravity itself shows signs of being Intelligently Created???
    The force F between two masses m1 and m2, when separated by a distance r, can be written as F = (G m1 m2)/r 2
    Where G is the gravitational constant, first measured by Henry Cavendish in 1798.
    This equation shows that gravity decreases as the separation distance, r, between two objects increases.
    The inverse-square nature of this equation is intriguing. There is no essential reason why gravity should behave in this way. In a chance, evolving universe, some random exponent like r1.97 or r2.3 would seem much more likely. However, precise measurements have shown an exact exponent out to at least 5 decimal places, 2.00000.
    We can therefore validly conclude that the Gravity Force WAS Intelligently Created. :D

……and finally, another ‘nail in the coffin’ of the Big Bang Theory as well as the accuracy of the distances to stars as measured by ‘red shift’.
    An international team of astronomers has discovered within the heart of a nearby spiral galaxy a Quasar whose light spectrum indicates that it is billions of light years away – while the galaxy itself is only supposed to be 300 million light years away !!!!

According to the standard Big Bang view of the Universe, Quasars are supposed to be at the very edge of the visible universe where very old Galaxies are being swallowed up into super-luminous Black Holes – yet here we have a quasar ‘next door’ to us in astronomical terms.
    You can read all about it here :-
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2005/0112quasar.asp
    and for those who prefer a non-AIG account you can read it here:-
    http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/science/mcquasar.asp

Wicknight
    If God is not enslaved by the passage of time then it is impossible for him to have the emotional states that we do, because our emotional states are dependent on the very fact that we are enslaved to the passage of time.

The reason that God has emotions is because of His 'personhood' – and His emotional state is directly related to the free-willed behaviour of (time-bound) people.

As God is both transcendent and imminent He enjoys the ‘best of both worlds’ so to speak.

Wicknight
    Don't get me started on the paradox that is Jesus Christ. The simple fact of the matter is that Jesus existed for 34 years, and while he existed God also existed. At no point was God only Jesus

Jesus Christ is truly God and truly Man – and thus He CONTINUES to exist and to be indivisibly God.

Jn 1:1-4 confirms that Jesus Christ has ALWAYS existed as the second Divine Person and was present at Creation:-
    “ In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    The same was in the beginning with God.
    All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
    In him was life; and the life was the light of men.”

Wicknight
    Saying God is at point A on a time line is ridiculous, because while being at point A God is also at all other points on the same time line.

The fact that God may be at all points in time and space – DOESN’T mean that He isn’t sad when somebody refuses salvation at a particular point in time and space.

Originally Posted by J C
    - just like humans (who are made in His Image and Likeness) can also experience regret

Wicknight
    Humans are not gods, and we do move through time. We exist only in the present and as such as time moves we move and our emotional states change.

Emotions are an aspect of PERSONALITY.
    Humans therefore share their emotional nature with God, NOT because of Time or Divinity – but because of our shared ‘personhood’ with Him.
    I think that you are making the mistake of thinking about God as some kind of impersonal all-powerful force that coldly and clinically runs the Universe. The Bible confirms that God is NOT a 'God of Forces' – He is a personal God with personal emotions that vary depending on what He observes Humans to be doing.

Wicknight
    it was the same God, in the same state, at point A when the garden of Eden was created as it was at point B when man fell.

It was the same God – but He responds to OUR varying activities – and thus His emotional state in regard to individual Human Beings changes.

Thus God can move in judgement against unrepentant sinners who deliberately defy Him – or He can move in love to save repentant sinners who believe on Him.:)

Wicknight
    the only emotional state God is ever in is the emotional state he is in at the moment of creation, because at that point that emotional state also exists right through the time line to the very end of time, since at that moment God exists right through time to the very end.

God is not limited by anything, including His emotional state at Creation.
    He reserves the sovereign right to deliver both judgement and grace on Humanity - and He has exercised this right on multiple occasions already.

Wicknight
    God cannot be "moved" by anything as God is aware of everything that has or will ever happen in the one instant of creation.

God is (cognitively) aware of our fallen state - but He is (emotionally) “moved” as a Father to alleviate our plight.

It is God’s personhood that ‘moved’ Jesus Christ to weep at the death of Lazarus – and it is also this emotional aspect to His personality that ‘moved’ Him to die for our sins on Calvary, so that we might be saved from our own folly!!!

Wicknight
    Have you never heard of the stories of a photocopy error producing pictures that look awfully like Budda, Princess Diana, The Queen of England, or even the big man Jesus himself?

The photocopier, in these cases, DEGRADED the original information into something that is equivalent to an ‘ink blot diagram’ – and the brains of the viewers then ‘projected’ their own interpretations onto these ‘randomised’ images.

Originally Posted by J C
    An extra pair of (non-functional) legs on a Duck is about as ‘useful’ as two heads on a Calf…….

Wicknight
    Well you couldn't possibly know that JC as you are not qualified in science to make that assessment

I am actually qualified to do so.:D

A four legged Duck or a two headed Calf has never been scientifically observed to successfully use these additional appendages – and such creatures are invariably at a disadvantage to their ‘normal’ peers!!!

Originally Posted by J C

Wicknight
    So if I place a blank page, or say a page of random numbers produced by a device used to measure wind speed, on a photocopier and make a copy this nonsense that means that this information on the page must be a design? Wind speed is intelligently designed now is it?

I was speaking of photocopying an original work of intelligence (or specified complexity) – such as a written article.

You are talking about copying the work of random processes (or unspecified complexity) – which obeys the ‘law’ of “rubbish in – rubbish out”!!!!!:D

Originally Posted by J C
    A photocopier replicates written information – and DNA replicates genetic information

Wicknight
    As I said, a photocopier doesn't replicate itself. Did you not understand that the first time I said it?

……..and DNA also doesn’t replicate itself – in the absence of specified genetic information and a whole host of tightly specified biochemical support systems (equivalent to, but much more complicated than the manufacturing process for a photocopier).

……a loose strand of DNA outside of a living cell, will remain a loose strand of DNA - and it WON’T be able to replicate itself.:D

J C wrote:
    BTW did you know that Gravity itself shows signs of being Intelligently Created???
    :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    The inverse-square nature of this equation is intriguing. There is no essential reason why gravity should behave in this way. In a chance, evolving universe, some random exponent like r1.97 or r2.3 would seem much more likely. However, precise measurements have shown an exact exponent out to at least 5 decimal places, 2.00000.
    We can therefore validly conclude that the Gravity Force WAS Intelligently Created.
    Except the exponent is only 2 when the body isn't rotating and the objects it interacts with are slow moving, since Newton's Law is a restriction of the equation for Schwarschild geodesics. The equations of GR have to reduce to a r^2 law because of gauss' theorem and the fact that space is three dimensional.
    Rational exponents would actually be diffcult to achieve in a non-relativistic theory.
    J C wrote:
    Most Creationist Physicists have no problem with Quantum Mechanics, which has nothing to do with Evolution..........the medium of space (with it’s putative Gravitons).
    http://www.astronomytoday.com/cosmology/quantumgrav.html
    Eh, great. Thanks for QG 101, where are the papers?
    You said there are creationist scientists who work on quantum gravity. I don't care if they don't have a problem with Quantum Mechanics, I want to see proof that these guys work on real open questions in science.

J C wrote:
    However, I have come across many EVOLUTIONISTS who have become very irritated

You seem to be getting a bit irritated now JC, since you are trying to simply avoid answering what you don't understand.
    J C wrote:
    Evolution is completely invalid – and leading mainstream journalists like Kevin Myers are now beginning to recognise just how implausible the idea of ‘Muck to Man Evolution’ really is!!!! :D

Accept my last few posts weren't about evolution. So one can only assume you are rushing back to the topic of evolution because you are completely unequipped to deal the the logical problems your own religion's dogma presents.

Which isn't surprising. In fact that is exactly what I predicted you would do a few posts ago. You don't have an answer. This scares you so you decide to run like a lost child back to your nonsense ranting about evolution.
    J C wrote:
    The reason that God has emotions is because of His 'personhood'
    The reason something has something that it doesn't actually have is rather irrelevant. Would one ask what is the reason that pigs fly? No of course not, because a pig do not fly.

God doesn't have emotional changes as we do for the reasons I've outlined in my previous posts. Therefore any guessing at the reasons behind these non existent emotional changes is rather pointless JC.
    J C wrote:
    – and His emotional state is directly related to the free-willed behaviour of (time-bound) people.
    Do you actually understand what you are regurgitating JC, because you might as well say that black is white.

God's emotional state cannot change, it is a logical impossibility, because God exists in the same state in all aspects of time. The state that God is in at the moment of time is the same state he is in at the very end of time. God's state cannot change because there is nothing for it to change into.

The fact that we do change states as time moves is completely unrelated to that fact, since we are neither gods, nor do we exist in all points of time at the same time, as God does. It is as unrelated as proposing that a rock can change move itself because we can move ourselves.
    J C wrote:
    As God is both transcendent and imminent He enjoys the ‘best of both worlds’ so to speak.
    That again is an logical impossibility. God cannot exist at every point in time while at the same time not existing at every point in time, since the former over rules the later. For it to be possible for God's state to change he must first not exist in the future that his present state is moving into, just as we do not exist in the future and the movement into the future alters our present state.

But God does exist in the future as he exists in the present and the past. As such there is nothing for God to move into, since he is already in the future. His state therefore does not change, since there is nothing for it to change into. He is already in the future, in the same state as he is in now, and was in in the past.
    J C wrote:
    Jn 1:1-4
    When the Bible has already been proven to contain logical errors JC it make little point in quoting it to support your argument. In fact argument is probably too strong a word, since you have not yet put forward an argument as to why my original post is wrong, probably because you don't know how and your vain searches on the AnswersInGenesis website are bearing no fruit. A better reply would probably to say that it makes no sense to quote Biblical passages to support your own ignorance, since the Bible is clearly as ignorant about the illogical nature of its argument as you are.
    J C wrote:
    The fact that God may be at all points in time and space – DOESN’T mean that He isn’t sad when somebody refuses salvation at a particular point in time and space.

Yes actually that is exactly what it means JC. See above.
    J C wrote:
    Humans therefore share their emotional nature with God, NOT because of Time or Divinity – but because of our shared ‘personhood’ with Him.

Wow, you really don't understand what you are typing do you JC. Are you like reading this off a pamphlet or something?

Emotions are characterised by a humans passage through time. Our emotions reflect what we are currently experiencing at the moment, what we have experienced in the past, and the anticipation of what we will experience in the future.

There is no human emotion that is not defined with relation to time, and the passage of time. Sadness, happiness, guilt, love, regret etc are all define by the fact that at one point we didn't feel them and then at another point, because something has change, we do feel them.

If a being does not move through time as we do then it is nonsense to state that this being experiences the emotions that we do because of our move through time.
    J C wrote:
    I think that you are making the mistake of thinking about God as some kind of impersonal all-powerful force that coldly and clinically runs the Universe.
    I think you are making the mistake of having no clue what you are talking about, and simple regurgitating passages and phrases that you clear do not understand and have not thought through.
    J C wrote:
    The Bible confirms that God is NOT a 'God of Forces' – He is a personal God with personal emotions that vary depending on what He observes Humans to be doing.
    The Bible is wrong because what it describes is not a logical possiblity.
    J C wrote:
    It was the same God – but He responds to OUR varying activities
    He cannot respond to anything, because he cannot change.

Seriously JC have you actually thought about this properly. If God exists at all points in time at the same time including in the future then how can God not be what he already is in the future.

Say you have three points in time, point A,B and C. When these points are doesn't matter. We also have what from our perspective is the present day, we will assign that to be X, which constantly moves through time from the start of time to the end of time.

God exists at all points from the very get go. As soon as there is time, as soon as X is placed at the very beginning of the time line, God exists at point A,B and C, and all other points while we are at it. For argument sake we will say that A is around the time of creation, B is now, and C is close to the end of time.

At the very start of time, at position A, God is in a certain state, which we will number as state 1. This can be either an emotional state (he's happy say) or a intellectual state (he's thinking about Satan), it doesn't really matter. State 1 is simply the current state of God at the very start of time.

Ok, now remember that God spans all of time. So we have him at all points, A, B and C from the very get go. Therefore while the God at point A is in State 1 it must also mean that all the other instances of God throughout time are also in State 1, since its all the one God, just as if you cover a tennis court with the same PVC covering all points of the court are covered by the same PVC covering.

So we have this situation

|--- Time Position --|---- State of God
    |
    |
    A
    |
    State 1
    |
    |
    B
    |
    State 1
    |
    |
    C
    |
    State 1
    |

Now you claim that it is possible for God at some point in time, we will say point B, to become regretful, or sad, or angry over something that has happened at that point in time. But as should be clear from above, that cannot happen.

Suppose for a moment that when our present day counter X actually ends up getting to position B on the time line, and present day is now B, God, based on something that has happened, changes his intellectual or emotional state to a different state, which we will call State 2. So you now find yourself with God in the Time Position B having the state of State 2.

|
    |
    A
    |
    State 1
    |
    |
    B
    |
    State 2
    |
    |
    C
    |
    State 2
    |

But that won't work, because remember that God spans all time at the same time. The state for position B and C already exists. For God to be in State 2 at position B he must also be in State 2 at A and C, because while God exists at position B he is also existing at position A and C. So you end up with a chart as follows

|
    |
    A
    |
    State 2
    |
    |
    B
    |
    State 2
    |
    |
    C
    |
    State 2
    |

Which makes absolutely no sense, because we have just completely ignored the first chart, which is equally valid as this chart. Both charts cannot be correct because they are both describing the same thing yet giving two different answers. As I said, there is only one God. God exists once in the past present and the future. You cannot over write the instance of God that is already present at every point, point A B and C, with a new instance of God. You cannot build up multiple charts like the one above and claim that they are all correct. That is logical nonsense, as bad a 5 year old just deciding that he will make 5+5 equal 342.

As you can see the state of God cannot change as time moves on because he already exists in one state at every position in time.
    J C wrote:
    God is not limited by anything, including His emotional state at Creation.
    Again that is logical nonsense JC.

God is bound by the fact of his own existence.

If God exists at all points in time at the same time he can no more change what is explained above than one could claim God can make himself completely non-existent and then bring himself back again.

By the very nature of him being able to do that he must still at some level exist, just as by the very nature of him existing across all time means he cannot alter the state that already exists in the future. Nor would I imagine he would wish to.
    J C wrote:
    God is (cognitively) aware of our fallen state - but He is (emotionally) “moved” as a Father to alleviate our plight.

As I said -

J C wrote:
    The photocopier, in these cases, DEGRADED the original information
    Since nearly all of these occurred in the white space of the page I would be curious to know how one degrades nothingness?
    J C wrote:
    I am actually qualified to do so.:D
    One can say very few things with absolute certainty in this life JC. But one of these is that you are certainly not qualified to do so.
    J C wrote:
    I was speaking of photocopying an original work of intelligence (or specified complexity) – such as a written article.

So that would be a big fat no then. Right then.

Well since we have established that a photocopier can make a copy of something that is intelligently designed, and a photocopier can just as easily make a copy of something that isn't intelligently design, one has to wonder why you keep using this analogy for Intelligent Design. It turns out, rather embarrassingly for you I might add, to be an analogy for quite the opposite of Intelligent Design.
    J C wrote:
    You are talking about copying the work of random processes
    No I'm not. I'm talking about copying something that isn't intelligently designed. I myself photocopied rain fall data for the East coast a few days ago. This was information, but it was certainly not intelligently designed (unless you wish to argue that God is no "designing" the amount of rain that falls to Earth these days).

Yet bizarrely, and much to my astonishment, the photocopier actually managed to produce a perfect copy of this non-designed information

Quite how there wasn't mass panic in my office at the sight of a photocopier perfectly copying non-designed data I'm not sure.

Wicknight said:
    When I say that God can't experience regret (or in fact have any changes of emotional state at all) I'm actually doing nothing more than what a theists or theologian would do when faced with the question "Can God get lost" It is the only conclusion given the initial definition of God.

Saying God feels regret, or other human emotions that are defined by the passage of time, is exactly the same as stating that God can get lost, in that it is an unworkable paradox. Either these statements cannot be true or the initial nature of God as defined by the Judeo/Christian religion cannot be true.

It is either one or the other.
    Aside from your amazing confidence in your ability to understand the laws governing eternity, the fault in your argument lies in thinking God cannot experience emotion if He is outside of time. He is outside of time, but He is aware of it - having created it. His emotions relate to us, and as we are engaged with time, His emotions vary accordingly. When He brings time - or rather our changing situations - to a close and the eternity of bliss begins, then His emotions will be constant, for we will be perfect forever. We will never cause Him to feel anger at sin. The one emotion to endure forever will be love:
    1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
    11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
    13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Wicknight said:
    They would disagree. And since God caused them to make the right decisions and they are closer to God than you can you not understand why people would believe them? It seems rather strange that you are telling them what they can and cannot do when they are the ones with a direct connection to God?
    That's just it: they have no special connection to God. They are not apostles. Indeed, the Roman Catholic Church that emerged after the first few centuries became increasingly divergent from the New Testament model of the Christian Church. The traditions they introduced and many of their teachings have nothing to do with those of the apostles.
    Well "self appointed" doesn't really count Wolfsbane ....
    Paul was not self-appointed. Christ appointed him, just as surely as He did Peter, James and all the others. Not only do we have Paul's account of that, we have Luke recording it, and Peter acknowledging that Paul's teaching is Holy Scripture:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=51&chapter=9&version=50

2 Peter 3:14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; 15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

And the Church has always recognised Paul as an apostle. He was the main apostle set apart to bring the gospel to the Gentiles, as Peter was for the Jews:
    Galatians 1:7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter 8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles), 9 and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.

Scofflaw said:
    So, then - what makes Paul an apostle? His only experience of Jesus was one that any Christian can also have - so why is he an apostle, and not them? Is it simply because he is in the Bible, and others are not?
    No, Paul's experience of Jesus was unlike any we may have. Paul was a very unusual apostle, for he had not lived with Jesus and been taught by Him for the 3+ years of His ministry. That was an essential qualification for apostleship. Paul describes his unusual circumstances as by one born out of due time.1 Corinthians 15:8b.

He meant by that that Christ had personally appeared to him and instructed him in the faith, commissioning him to bring the gospel to the Gentiles. This was his appointment to apostleship - the same as the other apostles, but after the resurrection and ascension of Christ.

The full account is found in Acts:
    http://http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%209;&version=50;

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=51&chapter=26&version=50

Paul adds further detail in:
    2 Corinthians 12:1 It is doubtless not profitable for me to boast. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord: 2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a one was caught up to the third heaven. 3 And I know such a man—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows— 4 how he was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
    Does the closure of the Bible also mean the end of apostles?
    Yes. The office was foundational, not continual. Their ministry continues by way of the Scripture they left for us. Paul describes himself as the last of the apostles (in order of time).

wolfsbane wrote:
    Paul was not self-appointed. Christ appointed him, just as surely as He did Peter, James and all the others. Not only do we have Paul's account of that, we have Luke recording it, and Peter acknowledging that Paul's teaching is Holy Scripture

However, both Acts, and the Gospel of Luke, are believed to have been written by the same author...

"Scholars agree that the Acts of the Apostles was written by the same person who wrote the Gospel of Luke. Because the book itself originally carried neither a title nor the name of the author, however, the identity of this person is far from clear. As early as the 2nd century, the work was ascribed to St. Luke, the companion of St. Paul."

...who was a companion of Paul's.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    2 Peter 3:14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; 15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

Hardly an acknowledgement that Paul was an Apostle - although there is no question that Paul was an important figure in the early Church.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    And the Church has always recognised Paul as an apostle. He was the main apostle set apart to bring the gospel to the Gentiles, as Peter was for the Jews:
    Galatians 1:7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter 8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles), 9 and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.

Again, that holds little weight, given your general view that the Church is full of errors.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    Aside from your amazing confidence in your ability to understand the laws governing eternity

I assume you mean the laws governing time, since eternity isn't a "thing", it is a measurement of time. And as we have already established God doesn't exist within time and therefore the laws of time do not apply. In fact that is the basis for my over all point.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    the fault in your argument lies in thinking God cannot experience emotion if He is outside of time.
    That isn't a fault of my argument Wolfsbane, that is my argument. That fault of your argument (and I use the term losely) is that you do yet realise what you are proposing. You have not considered the actual logistics of the God you define. If you did you would realise that what your religion proposes is a logical impossibility.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    He is outside of time, but He is aware of it - having created it.
    Again that is in fact fundamental to my argument.

It is only because God is aware of everything, past present and future, that he does not and cannot experience emotions as we do, since a fundamental aspect of our emotional systems is that fact that we are not experiencing the past and the future at the same time as experiencing the present. If we did then we would experience emotions like we do either.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    His emotions relate to us, and as we are engaged with time, His emotions vary accordingly.
    No his emotions don't, as I've explained (a few times now)

His emotional state cannot change, because the exact same emotional state exists at every point in time. Something can only change if in the future it is empty and the change itself fills that void.

An apple in the present (time point A) because it does not exist yet at time point B in the future. So when time point B finally comes around the apple can exist at that point as anything. But if the apple already existed at time point B then the apple at time point A cannot over ride this existence, and the only logical conclusion is that all instances of the apple are the same.

If the state of the object already exists in the future then it cannot change because it would be over righting its future self. God cannot change because of the properties defined in the definition of God himself.

You and JC can keep saying that his emotional state can change over and over if you like, like a badly skipping record. You seem to have no rational support for this argument. So you can also keep quoting back scripture to me (which I must say I find rather amusing). It doesn't make your assertion any more true, any less of an impossibility, or provide any rational argument for you assertion.

To me it simply highlights that neither yourself nor JC know or understand how either argue your position properly, or show that my logic is wrong. So instead you simply choose to ignore it.

If I was a more arrogant man I might suggest that you already know I'm right but cannot accept it. But to be honest I'm not sure you have even got to a sufficient level of understand of the argument for even that.

One can only assume by the complete lack of counter argument on your part, or on JC's part, that you do not yet realise why I you are wrong.

• Advertisement

wolfsbane wrote:
    That's just it: they have no special connection to God.
    They say they do. It was good enough for Paul to claim that Jesus appeared to him at the side of the road. You accepted that with no problem. But you don't accept this. You accept that they can confirm Paul saw Jesus, yet you don't accept that they hold they have a special connection to God

Smacks a bit of hypocricy on your part Wolfsbane. Picking and choosing what you like from the religion and discarding the rest. Who are you to say they don't have a special connection to God? Jesus told Peter to go make his church. That is his church.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Paul was not self-appointed. Christ appointed him, just as surely as He did Peter, James and all the others.
    Paul appointed himself by saying that Christ appeared to him. Anyone can do that Wolfsbane.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    And the Church has always recognised Paul as an apostle.
    The same Church that has no special connection to God and is unqualified to speak for God on Earth, according to you?

Who do you think compiled the books of the New Testament. You only have a the Bible you do because of the divine acts of the early Church, a Church that you dismiss as having no special connection to God.

Nonsense Wolfsbane, nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement