Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> [wolfsbane] Peter acknowledging that Paul's teaching is Holy Scripture [...]

Not sure about you, but I'm a fan of George Orwell's Politics and the English Language where he talks, amongst other things, about language is useful for "concealing or preventing thought".

Bearing in mind the quote from Dresden James that you use (which I sourced for you) would you be able, please, to rewrite the meaning of the sentence above without using the words "teaching", "holy" or "scripture"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

For those who doubt that the genome of two people (Adam and Eve), could contain all of the racial diversity of Mankind – here is a modern example of just such diversity.

Two British parents of mixed colour gave birth to twin girls, one white and the other dark-skinned on 07/04/2005.

Read all about this amazing latter day “Adam and Eve” story here:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kian_and_Remee_Hodgson

The Bible and genetics proves that we are all one blood – and so racism is both sinful and scientifically unfounded. We are all members of ONE race – the Human Race!!!!
    ……and you can read all about how the Human Race actually arose here:-
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/OneBlood/chapter4.asp

Son Goku
    Except the exponent is only 2 when the body isn't rotating and the objects it interacts with are slow moving, since Newton's Law is a restriction of the equation for Schwarschild geodesics. The equations of GR have to reduce to a r^2 law because of gauss' theorem and the fact that space is three dimensional.
    Rational exponents would actually be difficult to achieve in a non-relativistic theory.

……so there IS essentially no reason why gravity should behave in this way, and I am correct that the exponent is 2.00000 – and not some random number like 2.156, for example!!!!

The inverse-square nature of the equation F = (G m1 m2)/r 2 is indeed amazing.
    In a chance, evolving universe, some random exponent like r2.156 would be much more likely.

......and we can therefore validly conclude that the Gravity Force WAS Intelligently Created. :eek: :D

Son Goku
    You said there are creationist scientists who work on quantum gravity. I don't care if they don't have a problem with Quantum Mechanics, I want to see proof that these guys work on real open questions in science.

What I have said is that Quantum Gravity is a possible, but highly speculative explanation for Gravity.

I have also said that QG has no particular implications for the Evolution v Creation debate – and Creationists happily work alongside their Evolutionist colleagues on it.

I am not in a position to accede to your request to identify individual Creationists currently working on Quantum Gravity for reasons of confidentiality.

……..and for those of you who say there is no need for such confidentiality, let me quote Kevin Myers’ article in the Irish Independent 09/03/07 pp 31 on the current situation for ID scientists :-

“Some American states have actually made it illegal to mention ID in science class, even as a possible alternative to evolution. Now, when I hear a set of ideas being protected by the law, almost like copyright, I get the odd tingle in my brain as I sense the word ‘inquisition’ taking shape. Today’s inquisitions are conducted with the weapons of distain, scorn and dismissive stereotyping: ‘Intelligent Design,’ goes the mantra, ‘is the brainless creation of scientifically illiterate rednecks from Nebraska. We evolutionists know better, haw, haw, haw.”

Wicknight
    You don't have an answer. This scares you ........

I have exhaustively and repeatedly answered all of your questions on the personhood of God, even though it is 'off topic' for this thread.

Wicknight
    my last few posts weren't about evolution. So one can only assume you are rushing back to the topic of evolution because you are completely unequipped to deal the logical problems your own religion's dogma presents.

It is great to see your interest in the personhood of God – and I have addressed ALL of your questions on this matter.

Could I also point out that this thread is actually about ‘origins’ – and that is why I returned to the Creation and Evolution debate.:D

Wicknight
    God doesn't have emotional changes as we do for the reasons I've outlined in my previous posts.

The God of the Bible is a personal God and He DOES have different emotional reactions to different people’s behaviour simultaneously – and to individual people’s behaviour over time.

Wicknight
    God's emotional state cannot change, it is a logical impossibility, because God exists in the same state in all aspects of time. The state that God is in at the moment of time is the same state he is in at the very end of time. God's state cannot change because there is nothing for it to change into.

Why do you believe that God is LIMITED to only one emotional state at all points in time and space?

Surely such an unchanging condition could only apply to some kind of unchanging impersonal force – and not to the LIVING (i.e dynamic/changing) PERSONAL (i.e. emotional) God that is revealed in the Bible and by His historical interaction with Mankind?:D

Wicknight
    But God does exist in the future as he exists in the present and the past. As such there is nothing for God to move into, since he is already in the future. His state therefore does not change, since there is nothing for it to change into. He is already in the future, in the same state as he is in now, and was in in the past.

I think that the mistake you are now making is to claim that God (currently) ‘exists’ in the future. Whilst God knows everything about the future He does so through His Omniscience – and not through some kind of ‘time travel’.

God exists outside of time (and this time-related Universe) as well as within time and this Universe.

God has set time in motion in an exclusively forward direction – and God The Holy Spirit ACCOMPANIES Mankind on their journey through time – and God therefore has different emotional states simultaneously in regard to different people’s different behaviour.
    Thus God can, for example, visit His loving grace on different individuals over time.:cool:

Wicknight
    Emotions are characterised by a humans passage through time. Our emotions reflect what we are currently experiencing at the moment, what we have experienced in the past, and the anticipation of what we will experience in the future.

...but different emotions are NOT derived from our passage through time – they are a function of our personhood. Indeed we can experience a whole array of DIFFERENT emotions towards different people and events SIMULTANEOUSLY.
    God also operates within time and He therefore ACCOMPANIES us on our journey through time. He therefore CAN have different emotional states - both simultaneously and over time. :cool:

Wicknight
    since we have established that a photocopier can make a copy of something that is intelligently designed, and a photocopier can just as easily make a copy of something that isn't intelligently design, one has to wonder why you keep using this analogy for Intelligent Design.

Of course, a photocopier is able to copy something that is intelligently designed (i.e. complex AND specified) as well something that isn’t intelligently designed (i.e. complex BUT NOT specified)!!!

However, the point that I was originally making is that COPYING Ducks Feet, whether two feet on one duck or four feet on another duck, doesn’t result in any NEW complex specified information – just like photocopying a written page doesn’t result in NEW complex specified information.

…………but the ORIGINAL written information on a page and the ORIGINAL genetic information for a duck’s feet is the result of applied intelligence.:eek:

Wicknight
    I'm talking about copying something that isn't intelligently designed. I myself photocopied rain fall data for the East coast a few days ago. This was information, but it was certainly not intelligently designed

Rainfall data or the lotto numbers are complex information – but they are NOT specified information – and neither rainfall data nor the lotto result is therefore intelligently designed information.

However, all genetic information exhibits both specificity and complexity – and it therefore was originally Intelligently Designed!!!! :D

Wicknight
    God doesn't exist within time and therefore the laws of time do not apply. In fact that is the basis for my over all point.

The laws of time don't apply to God because He is transcendent.....
    …..but God The Father is imminent and so He DOES exist within time. Jesus Christ is also God and He existed within time while here on Earth.
    Equally, The Holy Spirit is also God and He indwells all Christians - so He also exists within time.

.......and therefore the basis for your overall point is INVALID!!!!:D

Wicknight
    Evolution. Its real. Get over it.

Evolution. It’s disproven. Get over it!!!! :eek: :D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

J C wrote:
    ……so there IS essentially no reason why gravity should behave in this way, and I am correct that the exponent is 2.00000 – and not some random number like 2.156, for example!!!!

The inverse-square nature of the equation F = (G m1 m2)/r 2 is indeed amazing.
    In a chance, evolving universe, some random exponent like r2.156 would be much more likely.

......and we can therefore validly conclude that the Gravity Force WAS Intelligently Created. :eek: :D
    Eh, yes there is a reason, can you read english? The fact that Newton's theory deals with slow moving non-rotating objects interacting with eachother through gravity combined with Gauss' Theorem and the fact that space is 3-dimensional.

Any non-relativistic approximation to a relativistic theory of gravity in 3-dimensions will have an r^n law, with n=2 because of Gauss' theorem, that's the reason. Something like 2.156 is impossible, even in a chance universe.

What you are doing is equivalent to remarking that the fact that a circle's circumference is Pi*diameter, is amazing and profound evidence of design because in a chance universe it would have probably been something like 2.156*diameter.

Aside from that it isn't even r^2 in real life, because if it was mercury's perihelion wouldn't precess.
    J C wrote:
    I am not in a position to accede to your request to identify individual Creationists currently working on Quantum Gravity for reasons of confidentiality.
    Oh, lol. Cop out of the year. There's no creationist working on it and even if there was you'd have no idea.
    Well then give me a Creationist paper dealing with the Weak Force. That has direct relevance to the creationist-evolution debate, it being the force responsible for radioactive decay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

JC wrote:
    ……..and for those of you who say there is no need for such confidentiality, let me quote Kevin Myers’ article in the Irish Independent 09/03/07 pp 31 on the current situation for ID scientists :-

“Some American states have actually made it illegal to mention ID in science class, even as a possible alternative to evolution. Now, when I hear a set of ideas being protected by the law, almost like copyright, I get the odd tingle in my brain as I sense the word ‘inquisition’ taking shape. Today’s inquisitions are conducted with the weapons of distain, scorn and dismissive stereotyping: ‘Intelligent Design,’ goes the mantra, ‘is the brainless creation of scientifically illiterate rednecks from Nebraska. We evolutionists know better, haw, haw, haw.”

JC quotes Kevin Myers. Well, that should earn one of them some kind of prize, I can't help but think.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

J C wrote:
    I have exhaustively and repeatedly answered all of your questions on the personhood of God, even though it is 'off topic' for this thread.
    No, you have simply said over and over "The Bible says this .... the Bible says that ...." Which is, as I've said, ridiculous, because the whole point of this is that the Bible has been proven wrong.
    J C wrote:
    It is great to see your interest in the personhood of God – and I have addressed ALL of your questions on this matter.
    See above. Your replies are along the lines of Vicky Pollard from Little Britain "But no, but no but no"
    J C wrote:
    Could I also point out that this thread is actually about ‘origins’ – and that is why I returned to the Creation and Evolution debate.:D
    Your entire argument, for this and evolution, hinges on the Bible being completely correct. As I've shown, and to which you have no proper reply, the Bible makes an error about the fundamental nature of God, so why should be used as an infalliable source for the creation of the universe is beyond me.
    J C wrote:
    The God of the Bible is a personal God
    The God described in the Bible doesn't exist because it is a logical impossibility. The Bible might as well claim that God got lost one Sunday on his way to work.

You can call God as "personal" as you like, that does not change the fact that a God that is transcendent throughout all time cannot change emotional states as this time moves. God, no matter how "personal" (do you even know what that means or is it along the lines of "pre-existing diversity" :rolleyes) he is cannot, and does not, EVER change emotional states.
    J C wrote:
    and He DOES have different emotional reactions to different people’s behaviour simultaneously

Again you can say that over and over JC it doesn't make it any less of an impossibility.

God cannot and does not EVER change emotional states, for reasons I have outlined in my previous post.
    J C wrote:
    Why do you believe that God is LIMITED to only one emotional state at all points in time and space?
    Do you understand what "state" is JC in turns of logic? By definition one thing only has one state. What ever the condition of the thing at a position in time that is the state it is in.

You can claim if you wish that God's state includes a wide range of different emotions that he feels all at the same time through out all time. But considering most emotions have a mutually exclusive counter part (happy, sad) claim God was happy and sad at the same time would be getting a bit stupid, even for you.
    J C wrote:
    Surely such an unchanging condition could only apply to some kind of unchanging impersonal force
    That is exactly what it would apply to, and that is exactly what your Bible describes when it says that God exists outside of time. As such God does not change based on the current position of the present in the universes time line because there is nothing for God's state to change into.
    J C wrote:
    – and not to the LIVING (i.e dynamic/changing) PERSONAL (i.e. emotional) God that is revealed in the Bible
    What part of THE BIBLE MUST BE WRONG AT LEAST ONCE do you not understand.

If God is a "personal" thing that changes emotional states as time effects him based on what is happening in the present then one must suppose that God is effected by the present. Therefore he cannot have already established states in the future (ie he cannot be present in the future at the same time as the present or past)

But then the Bible says that God exists outside of time and exists at all points in time at the same time, so clearly God is not effected by time, he is above time, and he has a presence in the future.

Therefore the state of God in the present cannot over write the state of God in the future, he must state exactly the same. Otherwise what happens to the state of God that exists in the future? It just vanishes into a puff of faulty logic?? Nonsense.

The Bible describes two things that are mutually exclusive. God is either be one or the other, he cannot be both by definition
    J C wrote:
    and by His historical interaction with Mankind?:D
    Its your Bible JC. Not my fault it is describing something that is logical nonsense.
    J C wrote:
    I think that the mistake you are now making is to claim that God (currently) ‘exists’ in the future. Whilst God knows everything about the future He does so through His Omniscience – and not through some kind of ‘time travel’.
    Read your Bible.

"But God's existence before and after time is simultaneous with His present existence"

http://www.christian-oneness.org/chapter1.htm

God is omnipresent not only in the present but in the future and the past too. He transcends the present. How do you think he knows everything about the future? What he just guesses?

Is that twinkle in your eye JC a realisation that what is describe in the Bible cannot work? If God simply knew what was going to happen, but did not exist in the future at all, and simply existed in the present, as we do, then that would not be a problem, as I explained already.

But that isn't what Christians believe or are taught. God transcends the present and doesn't just know the future, he exists in the future. Which as I'm sure you have realised now would mean his state could never change.

This isn't my religion JC. Its yours. I am simply going on what your religion claims God is and does.
    J C wrote:
    God has set time in motion in an exclusively forward direction – and God The Holy Spirit ACCOMPANIES Mankind on their journey through time – and God therefore has different emotional states simultaneously in regard to different people’s different behaviour.

Only if God exists only in the present, and does not exist in the future. Which your Bible says he does. So your argument isn't with me JC, its with the Bible that, as you seem to be realising, contains nonsense logic.
    J C wrote:
    ...but different emotions are NOT derived from our passage through time – they are a function of our personhood.
    Do you even understand what "personhood" means in a philosophical sense?

Our emotions are derived from our passage through time. Our personhood, the rights and status of an individual as a person, is rather irrelevant to that.

A person experiences emotions because they move through time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/ethics/abortion/philosophical/moralperson.shtml
    J C wrote:
    Indeed we can experience a whole array of DIFFERENT emotions towards different people and events SIMULTANEOUSLY.
    But we cannot experience a whole array of different emotions towards the same thing without moving through time. Can you be both happy and sad about the exact samething (not different aspects of the same thing, the exact same thing) at a single point in time? No you cannot. You may say that you were both happy on your birthday because it was your birthday, but sad at the same time because your dog had died two days ago and you wanted to spend your birthday with your dog. But you could not be happy and sad on your birthday over the single instance of your dog being dead. That wouldnt make sense.

And that is before we bring time into it. Could you be both happy and sad that your dog was killed on the day you were born, and this emotion never changes as your entire life goes by.

As you can see we very quickly move into the realm of nonsense. Our emotions only make sense because of the passage of time and our ability to change our emotions based on what is happening. God, as he exists in all points in time at the same time cannot as to him nothing does change.
    J C wrote:
    God also operates within time and He therefore ACCOMPANIES us on our journey through time. He therefore CAN have different emotional states - both simultaneously and over time.
    Not according to your Bible. God does not accompany anyone. He is already there when you get there, and he is always already there. The exact same God that is beside you today is in South America tomorrow. Not a different version of God that is a day older, but the exact same God. Well according to your Bible JC
    J C wrote:
    Of course, a photocopier is able to copy something that is intelligently designed (i.e. complex AND specified) as well something that isn’t intelligently designed (i.e. complex BUT NOT specified)!!!
    I know. So WHY did you say it can only make a copy of something that is intelligently designed, and then rather foolishly (you clearly didn't think this through) use that as an analogy of a biological organism being only able to copy something that is already intelligently design. A photocopier can make a copy of information that is not intelligently designed, and so can a biological organism. And both do.
    J C wrote:
    However, the point that I was originally making is that COPYING Ducks Feet, whether two feet on one duck or four feet on another duck, doesn’t result in any NEW complex specified information
    And as I've explained, yes it does. Otherwise the duck would simply have 2 feet. This should be blindingly obvious to anyone JC who bothers to think about it. How else does the duck produce two new feet.

There must be new information in the ducks genetic material SOMEWHERE telling the ducks cells to form into a second par of legs, otherwise the duck would end up exactly like all the other ducks with just 2 legs. SOMEWHERE in the ducks genetic material is new information ("Create 4 legs" information), created by mutation, that is telling some process in the duck to create an extra two legs.
    J C wrote:
    …………but the ORIGINAL written information on a page and the ORIGINAL genetic information for a duck’s feet is the result of applied intelligence.:eek:
    Except when it isn't, in the case of rain fall data, and DNA. Didn't we already go over this JC.
    J C wrote:
    Rainfall data or the lotto numbers are complex information – but they are NOT specified information
    Well as you have never defined "specified information", and as I imagine you cannot actually define it since it is subjective concept (as Dembski himself admitted), I'm going to call your bluff and say that both rain fall data and lotto numbers ARE specified information.

Why? Because I say so. Which is apparently good enough for Dembski.

I look forward to you trying to explain how they aren't actually specific information, since I sincerely doubt you will be able to this.

This, as they used to say in ancient Rome, should be fun :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    The laws of time don't apply to God because He is transcendent.....
    You appear to have no idea JC what "transcendent" actually means :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    …..but God The Father is imminent and so He DOES exist within time.
    He can exist within time all he likes. If he also exists outside of time then that over rules this.

It is the difference between someone under the sea and someone with their feet in a puddle. One is completely in water. The other is a bit in water, but mostly not in water. :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    Evolution. It’s disproven. Get over it!!!! :eek: :D:)

Well JC your basis for that claim is that the Bible is correct. Since, as I've shown, the Bible cannot even manage to get the fundamental properties of God correct, it doesn't inspire much hope that it has gotten creation right either, does it?

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote:
    JC quotes Kevin Myers. Well, that should earn one of them some kind of prize, I can't help but think.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Well Kevin Myers also thinks that Intelligent Design, a concept JC holds very close to his heart, is nonsense too.

So once again JC finds himself in one of his, by now, common a rock and a hard place situations.

The choice? Accepting what Mr. Myers says about evolution would mean he should also accept what Mr. Myers says about intelligent design. Which he cannot do, since he needs intelligent design.

If he rejects Mr. Myers opinion on intelligent design what basis does he hold Mr. Myers up as someone qualified to judge evolution?

I think he found himself in a similar situation over Hoyle and his probability of evolution. Possibly unknown to JC at the time he quoted him (the words "research" and "JC" don't tend to go hand in hand) Hoyle had also completely ruled out a deity as the creator of life on Earth (Hoyle believed it was probably aliens).

When JC was confronted with this fact he rather quickly back tracked in his customary fashion, away from using Hoyle to support his arguments, and since then I'm not sure Hoyle has been mentioned (though he does still mention the his theory on probability of life, despite the fact that it has been shown to be riddled with flaws).

Its all rather amusing isn't it :p

Wicknight wrote:
    Well Kevin Myers also thinks that Intelligent Design, a concept JC holds very close to his heart, is nonsense too.

So once again JC finds himself in one of his, by now, common a rock and a hard place situations.

The choice? Accepting what Mr. Myers says about evolution would mean he should also accept what Mr. Myers says about intelligent design. Which he cannot do, since he needs intelligent design.

If he rejects Mr. Myers opinion on intelligent design what basis does he hold Mr. Myers up as someone qualified to judge evolution?

I think he found himself in a similar situation over Hoyle and his probability of evolution. Possibly unknown to JC at the time he quoted him (the words "research" and "JC" don't tend to go hand in hand) Hoyle had also completely ruled out a deity as the creator of life on Earth (Hoyle believed it was probably aliens).

When JC was confronted with this fact he rather quickly back tracked in his customary fashion, away from using Hoyle to support his arguments, and since then I'm not sure Hoyle has been mentioned (though he does still mention the his theory on probability of life, despite the fact that it has been shown to be riddled with flaws).

Its all rather amusing isn't it :p

I think that quoting operates by entirely different rules when you're sure you're right. All that's important is the bit where they agree with you, not the bit where they're wrong. You show the quote to show the obviousness of what you're saying, and how people who are otherwise entirely wrong can nevertheless see how obviously true it is...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

robindch said:
    > [wolfsbane] Peter acknowledging that Paul's teaching is Holy Scripture [...]

Not sure about you, but I'm a fan of George Orwell's Politics and the English Language where he talks, amongst other things, about language is useful for "concealing or preventing thought".

Bearing in mind the quote from Dresden James that you use (which I sourced for you) would you be able, please, to rewrite the meaning of the sentence above without using the words "teaching", "holy" or "scripture"?
    Er, I'll give it a try: Peter acknowledging that Paul's letters are God's Word [...]. Is that any more open and encouraging of thought than the former? Seems to me both just conveyed an accurate description of Peter's actions:
    2 Peter 3:14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; 15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

Scofflaw said:
    However, both Acts, and the Gospel of Luke, are believed to have been written by the same author...
    ...who was a companion of Paul's.
    Indeed. But the Church has always concurred with this sacred history. Luke, Acts, Matthew, Galatians, etc. all hang together. Pull out Luke or Acts and all the NT falls. Christians have the witness of God in their hearts, as well as history, to prove to them Luke's testimony to the apostolic Church's beliefs.
    Hardly an acknowledgement that Paul was an Apostle - although there is no question that Paul was an important figure in the early Church.
    The ability to teach infallibly - so that one's letters to the churches are Scripture - is indeed evidence of apostleship.
    Again, that holds little weight, given your general view that the Church is full of errors.
    The Church today has many errors, and most of what professes to be the Church is an impostor - but the teaching of the New Testament, which affirms the apostolic teaching of the Church, is without error.

Wicknight said:
    I assume you mean the laws governing time, since eternity isn't a "thing", it is a measurement of time. And as we have already established God doesn't exist within time and therefore the laws of time do not apply. In fact that is the basis for my over all point.
    Exactly, so how can you insist that God cannot have emotions, since He is not governed by the laws of time? You want Him to be governed by the laws of Wicknight's imagination.
    That isn't a fault of my argument Wolfsbane, that is my argument. That fault of your argument (and I use the term losely) is that you do yet realise what you are proposing. You have not considered the actual logistics of the God you define. If you did you would realise that what your religion proposes is a logical impossibility.
    Only by your idea of logic.
    It is only because God is aware of everything, past present and future, that he does not and cannot experience emotions as we do, since a fundamental aspect of our emotional systems is that fact that we are not experiencing the past and the future at the same time as experiencing the present. If we did then we would experience emotions like we do either.
    You know that, do you? You have experienced eternity and can speak of how it affects our thinking? Or has a spirit -guide told you? Or have you had a bump on the head? :D
    His emotional state cannot change, because the exact same emotional state exists at every point in time. Something can only change if in the future it is empty and the change itself fills that void.
    Is Elvis with you?
    An apple in the present (time point A) because it does not exist yet at time point B in the future. So when time point B finally comes around the apple can exist at that point as anything. But if the apple already existed at time point B then the apple at time point A cannot over ride this existence, and the only logical conclusion is that all instances of the apple are the same.

If the state of the object already exists in the future then it cannot change because it would be over righting its future self. God cannot change because of the properties defined in the definition of God himself.
    The definition of God is that which Scripture reveals, and that includes His wrath, compassion, love, etc. His changing attitudes to man's changing actions. It is your strange definition of God's nature that you are arguing with, not the Christian one.
    To me it simply highlights that neither yourself nor JC know or understand how either argue your position properly, or show that my logic is wrong. So instead you simply choose to ignore it.
    Your logic has its own premises - which are not inclusive of those the Bible reveals of God. All JC and I are pointing out is that your argument does not apply to our God. It may well to the one of your imagination - I couldn't possibly comment. ;)

• Advertisement

Wicknight said:
    They say they do. It was good enough for Paul to claim that Jesus appeared to him at the side of the road. You accepted that with no problem. But you don't accept this.
    We have the testimony of Scripture for Paul's claim. We have the testimony of Scripture against many of the doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church.
    You accept that they can confirm Paul saw Jesus, yet you don't accept that they hold they have a special connection to God
    Different theys. The former was the apostolic Church, still governed and instructed by the apostles. The latter a religious organization governed and instructed by often very wicked and corrupt men.
    Smacks a bit of hypocricy on your part Wolfsbane. Picking and choosing what you like from the religion and discarding the rest.
    The idea that a wicked and corrupt organization is the Bride of Christ is not one that the Bible tolerates. I strive to hold to Biblical religion, not the man-made variety.
    Who are you to say they don't have a special connection to God? Jesus told Peter to go make his church. That is his church.
    I hold to the Church of which Peter was a leader. Its doctrine is set forth in the New Testament. Comparing that to the doctrine set out in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, I find a world of difference. And when we get to seeing how it all works in practise, our Lord's words clinch it for me:
    Matthew 7:15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.
    Paul appointed himself by saying that Christ appeared to him. Anyone can do that Wolfsbane.
    The apostolic church agreed that his witness was true. That's good enough for me.
    The same Church that has no special connection to God and is unqualified to speak for God on Earth, according to you?
    No, the apostolic Church and the faithful Church since.
    Who do you think compiled the books of the New Testament. You only have a the Bible you do because of the divine acts of the early Church, a Church that you dismiss as having no special connection to God.
    God gave the books via their writers. The apostolic Church recognised them as such; the early Church later endorsed that. It was never in their power to make any book Scripture or not - all they had to do was recognise them. The true church would have done so in any event. The false church was kept by God to the same course. HE decides what happens to His Word, not men.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Exactly, so how can you insist that God cannot have emotions, since He is not governed by the laws of time?
    Because a creature that is not enslaved to time would not have emotions, since emotions are characterised by the passage of time. Without time there is no change of state, without a change of state there is no emotions.

You say that God cannot have emotions as if it was a weakness on God's part. I'm sure that God, assuming he exists, doesn't see it like that.

It would be like asking why would I insist that a bird is not forced to stay on the ground, and isn't it a great weakness that they are able to fly.

I suppose it just goes to highlight that theists often cannot view their own God as anything more than simply a powerful human, and must view God within that context. Which of course goes back to theories on the origin of religion itself, the human need to view things as being the result of agency (ie within the context of human action)
    wolfsbane wrote:
    You want Him to be governed by the laws of Wicknight's imagination.
    As I have already explained to JC he is governed by his own definition as defined in your holy book. Its not really my fault that there is a paradox there.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Only by your idea of logic.
    Well clearly. Luckily for me my logic is correct. Unless you wish to show otherwise...? Though perhaps without the customary "You are wrong because the Bible says you are wrong" response that is so popular with posters on this forum.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    You know that, do you?
    Yes, as I explained. It is a conclusion of logic based on the definition provided by your holy book. Of course your book might be wrong and God, assuming he exists, might be nothing like what is described in the Bible. That is always a possibility.

As I said it would be easy for someone like yourself to state that "God cannot get lost" with absolute certainty, and I doubt many people here would be falling over themselves to say "Wait a minute, have you ever been an all powerful deity? Unless you have how do you know God cannot get lost. Maybe he can get lost"

No one would say that because your conclusion is based on the definition of God. Logically one can conclude that God cannot get lost based on his properties that he knows everything and exists everywhere. Of course the initial definition maybe wrong, but assuming that it isn't then it is easy to state that God cannot get lost, one does not need to be a deity themselves to state that.

I am simply doing the same thing, drawing the only possible conclusion based on the definition provided by your holy book. If you have a problem with that definition you should probably take it up with the original authors.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    You have experienced eternity and can speak of how it affects our thinking? Or has a spirit -guide told you? Or have you had a bump on the head?
    Of course not. If I thought I had had such experiences in my head I would no doubt claim something along the lines of stating that God himself talks to me each day and explains things to me. But, as you imply, that would just be silly, wouldn't it.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The definition of God is that which Scripture reveals, and that includes His wrath, compassion, love, etc.
    The definition is an unworkable paradox, in the sense that it states two contradictory and mutually exclusive characteristics of God. It might as well have said in one part that God exists everywhere and then a few pages down state that God got lost on his way to Limerick.

Its not really my fault that your holy book has this logical error in it. It simply does. Since you claim that God confirms things to you in your head I suggest you take it up with him the next time you are talking.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    It is your strange definition of God's nature that you are arguing with, not the Christian one.
    Well actually it is the Christian one, since it comes from the Christian Bible. But then I would imagine that those who wrote the Bible weren't really thinking this through properly and didn't realise that they were in fact defining a deity with mutually exclusive characteristics. So you end up with the ungodly (pardon the pun) mess that is the contradictory definition of God contained in the Bible.

wolfsbane wrote:
    All JC and I are pointing out is that your argument does not apply to our God.
    Well that is certainly true if your God isn't the God described in the Bible.

Which is what JC seemed to be stating in his previous when he said that his God is simply is aware of what will happen in the future, but does not actually exist in the future itself.

I'm not quite sure he has thought that through (how is God aware of the future if he doesn't exist there?) but that is beside the point that such a definition is in conflict with the God defined in the Bible itself.

I've no objection to yourself or JC saying that the God defined in the Bible cannot exist, and therefore God must be different, if only slightly (aware of future, not actually in it, for example). That is in fact what most Christians who have thought about it conclude.

But then one is drawn inevitably back to the issue of if the Bible is infallible. If the definition of God in the Bible is slightly off then that would clearly suggest that the Bible is not infallible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Er, I'll give it a try:

Thanks.

> "Peter acknowledging that Paul's letters are God's Word"
    > Is that any more open and encouraging of thought than the former?

Yes, it is. With the original phrase, you have used theological terminology which to a greater or lesser extent, assumes the conclusion it's trying to reach. Consequently, it's virtually impossible to think in an unbiased way about it.

Personally, I'd phrase it as "Peter noting that Paul's letters were [written by] / [written under the control of] / [written with the input of] / [written without the input of] / [something else of] god." (delete as appropriate). The phrase "god's word" is sufficiently ambiguous in the context to have rather little meaning, as there are probably as many meanings of the phrase as there are people who think they believe the correct one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Don't know if it's been mentioned here... http://creationwiki.org/Main_Page

Son Goku said:
    Okay, but that has little to do with Maxwell's reasons. He found it intuitively interesting from when he was a little fella, not after he was liberated by the thought that God ordered it. It was childhood wonder. He later believed God ordered it.

Are you saying Christian scientists don't find the universe interesting for its own sake or knowledge's sake?
    For instance, like the way you can enjoy a game of cards or reading a history book.
    No, I agree with you that such interests are naturally ours. I'm saying that Christians have this greatly enhanced when they know that their God made it all and it will therefore be more magnificent than they can imagine.
    With regards to the universe displaying his(its) glory, assuming he(it) exists I can tell you two things about God if his glory is revealed in the universe's workings:
    (a) He prefers the complex numbers over any other algebraic system.
    (b) He seems to like the world being layered, in allowing regimes to exist in which a large portion of the physics of the underlying layers is hidden.
    e.g. Quantum Mechanics being largely hidden to us, but not to atoms.

That I think is about all that is revealed.
    (I'm actually not making a joke by the way. I know Christian physicists who'd add on that he likes geometry.)
    Yes, this complexity reveals something of His incomprehensible magnificence. Again, the vastness and power of the universe point to this characteristic in their Creator. The Bible puts it like this:
    Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
    You picked bad examples. Faraday for instance was a Glasite, definitely not your traditional Christian.
    Glasites would be within the spectrum of Evangelical Christianity. They would be much closer to Reformed theology than, say, our brothers in the Society of Friends (Quakers).
    You also picked physicists from before the main period of growth of physics, back when it was a subject open only to the British upper and middle class or those from the working class who managed to work for laboratory owners and those in the academic fields.

Even though the point your trying to prove is correct (that Christianity doesn't hinder science), you should use examples from after 1905 if you choose physicists.
    OK, I appreciate that tip. Guys like this: Keith H. Wanser, Ph.D. Physics
    http://www.icr.org/research/index/research_physci_wanser/

Wicknight
    Your replies are along the lines of Vicky Pollard from Little Britain "But no, but no but no"

Such abject 'denial of the obvious' is actually the preserve of the Materialist!!!!!

Famous Philosopher of Science, Sir Karl Popper, confirms that 'denial' is an occupational hazard for the Evolutionist:-

“What makes the origin of life and of the genetic code a disturbing riddle is this: the genetic code is without any biological function unless it is translated; that is, unless it leads to the synthesis of the proteins whose structure is laid down by the code. But the machinery by which the cell (at least the non-primitive cell, which is the only one we know) translates the code consists of at least fifty macromolecular components which are themselves coded in the DNA.

Thus the code cannot be translated except by using certain products of its translation. This constitutes a baffling circle; a really vicious circle, it seems, for any attempt to form a model or theory of the genesis of the genetic code.

Thus we may be faced with the possibility that the origin of life (like the origin of physics) becomes an impenetrable barrier to science, and a residue to all attempts to reduce biology to chemistry and physics."

(Scientific Reduction and the Essential Incompleteness of All Science Ayala, F. and Dobzhansky, T., eds., Studies in the Philosophy of Biology, University of California Press, Berkeley, p. 270).

Just like the eminent Sir Karl Popper, Kevin Myers has come to realise that the theory of ‘Muck-to-Man Evolution’ is scientifically invalid – and most objective observers of this thread would ALSO share this conclusion. :D

It is patently obvious that the tightly specified complexity of even the simplest living cell completely rules out any possibility that life could have arisen without a Creator. :eek:

It is equally obvious that the Materialists are compelled by their own beliefs to deny Creation IN SPITE OF the evidence………

…….. in the following quote, one of the top Evolutionary Biologists in the world, Prof. Richard Lewontin openly admits that Materialists believe in and defend Evolution IN SPITE OF all of the evidence to the contrary, because their commitment to materialism is ABSOLUTE:-

“We take the side of (Evoutionist) science in spite of the patent absurdities of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfil many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism.
    It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door.”

Professor Richard Lewontin, “Billions and billions of demons”. The New York Review, January 9, 1997 pp 28.

Wicknight
    Your entire argument, for this and evolution, hinges on the Bible being completely correct.

My argument actually DOESN'T depend on the veracity of the Bible - although I do believe that the Bible is the infallible Word of God.

Science is ALSO capable of examining the evidence for Direct Divine Creation – but using Science to objectively evaluate Direct Creation is anathema to Materialists because it would “allow a Divine Foot in the door” !!!!!

Indeed, it might even allow God to come right in through the door - and save them!!!!:eek: :D

Wicknight
    Read your Bible.

Great to see an atheist advocating the undoubted wisdom of reading the Bible!!!! :D

Wicknight
    "But God's existence before and after time is simultaneous with His present existence"
    God is omnipresent not only in the present but in the future and the past too. He transcends the present. How do you think he knows everything about the future? What he just guesses?

God transcends time – but the reason that He knows everything is because He is omniscient – and not because He is ‘omnipresent’ in the future – whatever that may mean!!!!.:D

Wicknight
    I'm going to call your bluff and say that both rain fall data and lotto numbers ARE specified information.

Specified Information must have ALL of the following four characteristics :-
    1. Meaningful / Utilitarian.
    3. Precise / Unique
    4. Non-random.
    5. Non-repetitive.

Rainfall data ISN’T PRECISE or UNIQUE – i.e. every possible combination of figures can validly occur and one set of arbitrary data is just as useful as the next.
    Lotto numbers ARE RANDOM.
    So neither Rainfall data nor Lotto numbers are specified information.:D

Genetic information IS specified information because:-
    1. It produces MEANINGFUL, UTILITARIAN results - in the form of living creatures.
    2. It is PRECISE and UNIQUE - as even small changes causes it to become rapidly degraded and useless.
    3. It ISN’T RANDOM – but is observed to be tightly defined.
    4. It ISN’T REPETITIVE or patterned.

Wicknight
    The choice? Accepting what Mr. Myers says about evolution would mean he (J C) should also accept what Mr. Myers says about intelligent design. Which he cannot do, since he needs intelligent design.

If he (J C) rejects Mr. Myers opinion on intelligent design what basis does he hold Mr. Myers up as someone qualified to judge evolution?

Mr. Myers, is an intelligent rational Human Being, and so he is amply qualified to judge the concept of ‘Muck to Man Evolution’.
    ……..and he resoundingly rejects ‘Big Picture Evolution’ for the manifestly preposterous notion that it is.

He hasn’t publicly professed a belief in ANY other replacement for Evolution – and that is reasonable as far as I am concerned. :D

Wicknight
    I think he (J C) found himself in a similar situation over Hoyle and his probability of evolution. Possibly unknown to JC at the time he quoted him (the words "research" and "JC" don't tend to go hand in hand) Hoyle had also completely ruled out a deity as the creator of life on Earth (Hoyle believed it was probably aliens).

I have always known that Sir Fred Hoyle believed in ‘panspermia’.
    However his calculations ARE accurate – and they completely rule out the Evolution of Man being ‘directed’ by non-intelligent mechanisms like NS.

I do not need to ask about somebody’s religious beliefs when I assess their mathematical calculations – and Sir Fred Hoyle was one of the leading Mathematicians and Astronomers of his day.

He did correctly conclude that an input of intelligence was necessary to overcome the overwhelming odds of 10^^40,000 against the production of the biomolecules of an Amoeba via NS.
    Unfortunately, because of his particular outlook, he attributed this intelligent input to ‘Aliens’.

However, even a moments contemplation would have told him that the odds of 10^^40,000 against producing the Amoeba without an intelligent input would ALSO rule out the production of any ‘Aliens’ in a Universe that contains only 10^^130 electrons!!!!:eek: :D

I admire Sir Fred Hoyle as a Mathematician and Astronomer – but I am sad that he didn’t accept the logic of his OWN figures – which indicated that life could only arise in the UNIVERSE via the actions of an external and transcendent intelligent entity AKA God!!!!:D

Wicknight

Well that is certainly true if your God isn't the God described in the Bible.

Which is what JC seemed to be stating in his previous when he said that his God is simply is aware of what will happen in the future, but does not actually exist in the future itself.

…………I've no objection to yourself or JC saying that the God defined in the Bible cannot exist, and therefore God must be different, if only slightly (aware of future, not actually in it, for example). That is in fact what most Christians who have thought about it conclude.

We can only know what God chooses to reveal about Himself.

God is FULLY aware of everything that will happen in the future – however, the MECHANISM by which God knows this, is ‘known only onto God’!!!!!

We know that God exists in the present as the Holy Spirit indwelling all Christians and as Jesus Christ and The Father in Heaven.

We know that He is omnipotent and omniscient.

We also know that God is transcendent and imminent simultaneously as well as being a doubly eternal entity.

God has NOT chosen to reveal how He achieves these phenomena – other than to confirm that these are aspects of His nature.
    He is the great ‘I AM’ – which would indicate that He simply wants us to accept that He just IS – and that is all we need to know about His actuality in time and space!!!

God has also revealed that He is a combination of three PERSONS – and as a perfect person, He has the full range of virtuous emotions – and these Divine emotions AREN’T dependent upon time – because God Himself ISN’T dependent upon time.:cool:

First it was a blood infused ‘200 million year old’ T Rex fossil……..
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2005/0325Dino_tissue.asp

….and now there is ANOTHER ‘10 million year old’ amphibian fossil with bone marrow so perfectly preserved that it could almost be used in a transplant!!!!!
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/07/060725-fossil-bone.html

…..and here is an extract from the report in National Geographic:-

“many other fossil bones may contain well-preserved remnants of bone marrow, the scientists say.
    Although fossil remains of muscles, skin, and internal organs have been found, they are rare because soft tissues usually decay before they can be fossilized.
    And when traces of such tissues are found, the original organic matter has usually been replaced by minerals during fossilization.
    Not so with the Spanish amphibians.
    "The marrow is organically preserved," McNamara said. "The original colour of the marrow is preserved."
    Like modern frogs, she says, the bones show an inner zone of yellow, fatty marrow, encircled by an outer zone of red marrow.
    The find will allow "incredible insights" into the makeup of ancient animals”

………and the most obvious 'incredible insight’ is that these salamanders with their ‘organically preserved’ blood-infused bone marrow lived very recently indeed!!!!:D

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!!:D

Wicknight

Evolution. It’s IMPOSSIBLE. Get over it!!!! :D

J C wrote:
    Wicknight
    I'm going to call your bluff and say that both rain fall data and lotto numbers ARE specified information.

Specified information has ALL of the following four characteristics :-
    3. Precise.
    4. Non-random.
    5. Non-repetitive.

Rainfall data ISN’T PRECISE – i.e. every possible combination of figures can validly occur and one set of arbitrary data is just as useful as the next.
    Lotto numbers ARE RANDOM.

Genetic information IS specified information because:-
    1. It produces MEANINGFUL, UTILITARIAN results - in the form of living creatures.
    2. It is PRECISE - as even small changes causes it to become rapidly degraded and useless.
    3. It ISN’T RANDOM – but is observed to be tightly defined.
    4. It ISN’T REPETITIVE or patterned.

We've been over point 2 repeatedly, point 3 is meaningless, and point 1 is inarguable - so here's one for point 4:

"When the chromosomes of an organism such as wheat or pine is dissected at the molecular level, stretches of nucleotide sequence that occur once or only a few times - including the genes - represent as little as 5% of the DNA. Most plant and animal genomes consist largely of repetitive DNA - perhaps 30 sequence motifs, typically one to 10 000 nucleotides long, present many hundreds or thousands of times in the genome, which may be located at a few defined chromosomal sites or widely dispersed."

- from here.

However, I'm sure that you will be able to 'explain' how this fact and your assertion do not merely fail to conflict, but actually support each other...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

J C wrote:
    in a Universe that contains only 10^^130 electrons!!!!:eek: :D
    A universe with that many electrons would require Galaxies to not just be "swirls of dust".

J C wrote:
    Great to see an atheist advocating the undoubted wisdom of reading the Bible!!!! :D
    Well I just thought it was funny that you claim it is the infallible word of God when it is clear you have never actually read it (or if you did you didn't understand it)
    J C wrote:
    God transcends time – but the reason that He knows everything is because He is omniscient – and not because He is ‘omnipresent’ in the future – whatever that may mean!!!!.:D
    Again, read your Bible
    J C wrote:
    3. Precise / Unique
    4. Non-random.
    5. Non-repetitive.
    DNA is neither meaningful, precise, non-random or non-repetitive.
    J C wrote:
    Rainfall data ISN’T PRECISE or UNIQUE
    Yes it is. You will never get the same rainfall data, and it is very precise.
    J C wrote:
    – i.e. every possible combination of figures can validly occur and one set of arbitrary data is just as useful as the next.
    That isn't what precise means :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    Under your definition (even though you don't seem to understand it yourself, I imagine it was lifted from a web site somewhere) neither is DNA

So you have, once again, done our work for us and ruled out design.

Keep up the good work JC
    J C wrote:
    Mr. Myers, is an intelligent rational Human Being, and so he is amply qualified to judge the concept of ‘Muck to Man Evolution’.
    ……..and he resoundingly rejects ‘Big Picture Evolution’ for the manifestly preposterous notion that it is.
    As he resoundingly rejects Intelligent Design as religious nonsense... as I said rock/hard place
    J C wrote:
    I have always known that Sir Fred Hoyle believed in ‘panspermia’.
    However his calculations ARE accurate – and they completely rule out the Evolution of Man being ‘directed’ by non-intelligent mechanisms like NS.
    As they do a deity.
    J C wrote:
    – and Sir Fred Hoyle was one of the leading Mathematicians and Astronomers of his day.
    He also said you were wrong. So again, rock/hard place
    J C wrote:
    I admire Sir Fred Hoyle as a Mathematician and Astronomer – but I am sad that he didn’t accept the logic of his OWN figures
    He did actually. Which is why he ruled out God and concluded it must have been aliens.
    J C wrote:
    We can only know what God chooses to reveal about Himself.
    As he is supposed to have done in the Bible yet you reject this and substitute your own version. Isn't there a law in your religion against that?
    J C wrote:
    God is FULLY aware of everything that will happen in the future – however, the MECHANISM by which God knows this, is ‘known only onto God’!!!!!

I see your lack or understand extends to your own religion JC

Not according to your Bible. God exists in the future. That is how he is aware of the future. Back to the paradox...
    J C wrote:

You can watch it happen JC. People do all the time.

I must say JC, after your last post I've lot what little respect I had for your position.

I assumed that you were just completely ignorant of science, choosing to come from a purely religious position. You appeared on the surface to at least seem to know what the religious position you were arguing was.

But it now seems clear that you don't even understand the religious position you claim to be defending. Have you actually read the Bible, the book you claim is your inspiration for rejecting evolution and most of current scientific theories. Your statements above demonstrate that the answer is "clearly not"

This is unfortunate. One must now simply dismiss you as simply a troll, someone who argues from a made up position simply for the fun of it. If you cannot even argue from a proper Christian position then the point of all this seems to be lost.

Good day :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

J C wrote:

*GROAN*

Wicknight said:
    But it now seems clear that you don't even understand the religious position you claim to be defending. Have you actually read the Bible, the book you claim is your inspiration for rejecting evolution and most of current scientific theories. Your statements above demonstrate that the answer is "clearly not"

This is unfortunate. One must now simply dismiss you as simply a troll, someone who argues from a made up position simply for the fun of it. If you cannot even argue from a proper Christian position then the point of all this seems to be lost.
    Wickie, you are not only a master of logic and metaphysics - knowing the rules that govern eternity - but it now emerges you are a theologian also.

I'm sure your skills in hermenuetics is as good as that in your other fields. :D

Can we expect a Bible commentary anytime soon?

In the meantime, JC can content himself with the knowledge that the great Christian leaders of history shared his ignorance of what the Bible actually said.

Wicknight
    "When the chromosomes of an organism such as wheat or pine is dissected at the molecular level, stretches of nucleotide sequence that occur once or only a few times - including the genes - represent as little as 5% of the DNA. Most plant and animal genomes consist largely of repetitive DNA - perhaps 30 sequence motifs, typically one to 10 000 nucleotides long, present many hundreds or thousands of times in the genome, which may be located at a few defined chromosomal sites or widely dispersed."

This is the so-called ‘junk DNA’ – or DNA for which no function has been established.

It’s preponderance is such that it may have important functions that we haven’t yet established – or it could be just God showing His Omnipotence and Omniscience – by producing a complex living organism while specifying Functional Genetic Information on less than 5% of the genome!!!!:cool: :D

Originally Posted by J C
    in a Universe that contains only 10^^130 electrons!!!!

Son Goku
    A universe with that many electrons would require Galaxies to not just be "swirls of dust".

It would indeed – and it does contain ten thousand million Galaxies – but still ONLY contains 10^^130 electrons!!!! :eek:

……..so HOW does an Amoeba spontaneously arise on such a Universe with odds of 10^^40,000 against it’s biochemical sequences arising by accident???:confused:

.......or as Mr Kevin Myers’ eloquent comment on Darwinian Evolution states.......
    .....“it stretches the bounds of possibility to breaking point to assert that every living thing in this world was created by a series of accidents, the odds against which are to be measured in zillion trillions”.:D
    (Page 31 Irish Independent 09/03/2007).

Originally Posted by J C
    3. Precise / Unique
    4. Non-random.
    5. Non-repetitive

Wicknight
    DNA is neither meaningful, precise, non-random or non-repetitive.

I agree that DNA, as an information carrying chemical structure, (and analogous to a blank Videotape) is none of the above.

However, the tightly specified and highly complex genetic information CARRIED on SECTIONS of DNA (and analogous to a Videotape Recording) does indeed exhibit meaningfulness, utility and precision as well as non-random and non-repetitive characteristics !!!:D

Originally Posted by J C
    (With rainfall data) every possible combination of figures can validly occur and one set of arbitrary data is just as useful as the next.

Wicknight
    That isn't what precise means.

Information where every possible combination of figures can validly occur and one set of arbitrary data is just as useful as the next is indeed IMPRECISE and not UNIQUE – and so rainfall data ISN’T Specified Information.

On the other hand, Functional Genetic Information is PRECISE - because even small changes causes it to become rapidly degraded and useless!!!

Functional Genetic Information also produces MEANINGFUL, UTILITARIAN results (in the form of living creatures), it ISN’T RANDOM – but is observed to be tightly defined and it ISN’T REPETITIVE or patterned.
    …….so it exhibits ALL of the characteristics of ALL Specified Information produced by intelligence from engineering blueprints to music scores!!!!:D :)

Wicknight
    Keep up the good work JC

A word of encouragement is always appreciated – thank you, Wicknight!!!!:D

Originally Posted by J C
    I admire Sir Fred Hoyle as a Mathematician and Astronomer – but I am sad that he didn’t accept the logic of his OWN figures

Wicknight
    He did actually. Which is why he ruled out God and concluded it must have been aliens.

But Sir Fred Hoyle obviously DIDN’T follow the logic of his calculations!!

In a Universe that contains ONLY 10^^130 electrons, events with odds in excess of 10^^100 are statistical impossibilities.

.........and events like the undirected production of an Amoeba - with odds of 10^^40,000 are TOTALLY impossible. :D
    :
    …….and the undirected production of Aliens, having odds vastly in excess of the 10^^40,000 for the Amoeba, are ALSO totally impossible in our Universe.

……….and so Sir Fred Hoyle WAS a brilliant Mathematician and Astronomer – BUT his figures actually prove that life could only arise in the UNIVERSE via the actions of an external and transcendent intelligent entity AKA God!!!!:D

Wicknight
    God exists in the future.

Is this a declaration of faith in God on your part, Wicknight???:confused:

God EXISTS and is TRANSCENDENT as well as IMMINENT – the rest is sophistry, equivalent to trying to measure the number of angels who could fit on the head of a pin!!!
    ……..an activity I wouldn’t have expected an atheist to be engaged in ……….
    …….but there you go, wonders will never cease!!!!!!:D :)

Wicknight

Evolution. It’s PREPOSTEROUS. Get over it!!!!:D

J C wrote:
    It would indeed – and it does contain ten thousand million Galaxies – but still ONLY contains 10^^130 electrons!!!! :eek:

……..so HOW does an Amoeba spontaneously arise on such a Universe with odds of 10^^40,000 against it’s biochemical sequences arising by accident???:confused:
    Yeah, but you said several times that galaxies were just swirls of dust and not several octillion tonnes of matter located several millions of light years apart.

Have you now changed your view and think that galaxies are not just swirls of dust?

wolfsbane wrote:
    In the meantime, JC can content himself with the knowledge that the great Christian leaders of history shared his ignorance of what the Bible actually said.

Actually, he can content himself with a good deal more than that. The general level of Bible knowledge amongst Christians is very poor, apparently. See this article, for example.

The more interesting points:

"Fewer than half of us can identify Genesis as the first book of the Bible, and only one third know that Jesus delivered the Sermon on the Mount."

"Approximately 75 percent of adults, according to polls cited by Prothero, mistakenly believe the Bible teaches that "God helps those who help themselves." More than 10 percent think that Noah's wife was Joan of Arc. Only half can name even one of the four Gospels, and -- a finding that will surprise many -- evangelical Christians are only slightly more knowledgeable than their non-evangelical counterparts."

cordially,
    Scofflaw

wolfsbane wrote:
    Wickie, you are not only a master of logic and metaphysics - knowing the rules that govern eternity
    You keep saying that over and over Wolfsbane as if it means anything. You might as well say I don't know the rules of washing powered, since that applies equally well to this issue.

"Eternity" as you put it is simply the model that time exists forever. That is a quite easy concept to model. You also say that I don't know the rules that govern "eternity", but eternity is a concept that is defined by time in our universe, and since God isn't supposed to exist solely in our universe he is no more governed by the "rules of eternity" that he is governed by any laws of our universe. Which if you read over my posts was my original point in the first place.

Are you saying that God is ruled by the structure of time itself? Because your Bible says otherwise. Have you, like JC, not bothered to actually read what your Bible says?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    - but it now emerges you are a theologian also.
    Its not exactly a hard thing to do.
    wolfsbane wrote:

Putting aside the oxymoron of "great" and "Christian leaders" I am sure JC is well used to comforting himself with his own ignorance.

J C wrote:
    Is this a declaration of faith in God on your part, Wicknight???:confused:
    No it is me bothering to read the Bible, something you apparently haven't done. If find it the height of ignorance for me to argue against something that I would only pretend to understand, so I bother to read up on Christian and Creationist literature. Although clearly you don't have that problem with arguing against evolution when you don't understand it, see your comment about an amoeba arising spontaneously. I mean seriously JC please quote me the evolution paper that claimed that actually happened :rolleyes:

Is there much point in your arguing the Christian position when you aren't aware of what the Christian, Creationist or scientific positions are JC? What side do you claim to be an expert in?

J C wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C

Wicknight

But Sir Fred Hoyle obviously DIDN’T follow the logic of his calculations!!

In a Universe that contains ONLY 10^^130 electrons, events with odds in excess of 10^^100 are statistical impossibilities.

.........and events like the undirected production of an Amoeba - with odds of 10^^40,000 are TOTALLY impossible. :D
    :
    …….and the undirected production of Aliens, having odds vastly in excess of the 10^^40,000 for the Amoeba, are ALSO totally impossible in our Universe.

……….and so Sir Fred Hoyle WAS a brilliant Mathematician and Astronomer – BUT his figures actually prove that life could only arise in the UNIVERSE via the actions of an external and transcendent intelligent entity AKA God!!!!:D

You know, while we're playing envelope maths - what are the odds on God?

See, whatever the odds against primitive life arising by accident, the odds against God arising by accident are always going to be higher, by the amount that God is more complex and sophisticated than primitive life - orders of magnitude, one assumes. Of course, you can just say that God doesn't arise by accident, but you have no actual basis for the claim other than belief.

So, if you're going to bet based on the odds, you have to bet on life arising accidentally - it's much much more likely. Betting on God is too long a punt. Quite aside from the odds, at least we have definite and indisputable evidence that life exists.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    You know, while we're playing envelope maths - what are the odds on God?

Sure what is the "purpose" of God? Since theists like to view everything in terms of purpose then why does God exist. A completely powerful being, of absolutely intelligence and knowledge, that just exists. For no reason other than to exists.

He just sits there, where ever "there" is and is all powerful and stuff.

It is rather bizarre that Creationists talk all the time about complex life needing to be created and needing to have a purpose when their belief is based around the idea of a super complex being that wasn't created and has no purpose, other than to simply exist. Forever. Creating universes and life forms for his own amusement, probably simply to give himself something to do.

Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Wicknight wrote:
    Sure what is the "purpose" of God? Since theists like to view everything in terms of purpose then why does God exist. A completely powerful being, of absolutely intelligence and knowledge, that just exists. For no reason other than to exists.

He just sits there, where ever "there" is and is all powerful and stuff.
    To you that's what He is. He is a lot more to many believers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement