Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Stepping over JC's pious footwork, I can't help but admire how somebody can think that he'd be brave enough to kill or die for their religion (see previous thread posts), but not brave enough to tell us -- a bunch of people he does not know, after all -- what degree he has, or where it was from, or what he's working at?

I'm reminded too of his constant claims a while ago that there are many, many scientists who are creationists, but who are too scared to come out with it.

Perhaps JC's qualifications are like these scientists -- figments of an overheated imagination?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

robindch wrote:
    Stepping over JC's pious footwork, I can't help but admire how somebody can think that he'd be brave enough to kill or die for their religion (see previous thread posts), but not brave enough to tell us -- a bunch of people he does not know, after all -- what degree he has, or where it was from, or what he's working at?

I'm reminded too of his constant claims a while ago that there are many, many scientists who are creationists, but who are too scared to come out with it.

Perhaps JC's qualifications are like these scientists -- figments of an overheated imagination?

There's a very obvious shared feature in all JC says - unfalsifiability...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Scofflaw
    In general, the doctor will have their certificates on display....

I must be a ‘trusting type’ then, because I assume that people are whom they claim to be unless I have objective evidence to the contrary.:D

I tend to take people at their word – and I have found that Born Again Christians always tell the truth.

Scofflaw
    Can you also confirm that you are not an agricultural scientist?

Can you confirm that you are NOT a Flea Entomology Scientist ????!!!:eek:

…..or perhaps you can confirm that you have NOT studied the breeding habits of the Himalayan Yak!!!! :eek: :D:)

Can you confirm anything else you HAVEN'T done???

Scofflaw
    I regret that I will not stop requesting he (J C) name his primary degree qualification, and deriding him if he will not do so.

…and I equally regret that I will NOT stop requesting that you produce your evidence for Evolution, and drawing attention to the fact that you still have not done so!!!!!!:eek:

BTW this thread ISN’T about my qualifications (or anybody else’s for that matter) – it is about the evidence for Evolution / Creation and the accuracy of Bible Prophecy.

Could I suggest that a new thread should be started where the Evolutionists can go to itemise their academic qualifications – and have their egos massaged!!!!!!:eek: :D

BTW did anybody see the Evolution programme on RTE yesterday evening where they proposed that the Dinosaurs disappeared because they:-
    (a) Died from OLD AGE.
    (b) Were ‘melted’ by a deluge of ACID RAIN with a pH approaching that of battery acid.
    (c) Were wiped out by a worldwide FIRE.
    (d) Froze to death in a worldwide ICE AGE.
    (e) Were wiped out by a WORLDWIDE TSUNAMI.

The Evolutionists don’t seem to know how the Dinosaurs actually died out !!!!!!!!

…… but I can reveal that a ‘Worldwide Tsunami’ WAS how it happened!!!!! ;)

irritated,
    Scofflaw

I can recommend an excellent cream for that!!!!!:D

bonkey
    It has been shown that a cornerstone of your arguments is the non-scientific premise of biblical truth.

Not so!!!

Objective repeatable observations are the cornerstone of Creation Science.
    The premise of Biblical Truth is a cornerstone of the Christian Faith – and, as I have already said, these are two distinctly SEPARATE things.

It is a mistake to believe that all Creation Scientists are orthodox Bible-believing Christians - some excellent Creation Scientists are Jews, Moslems, Agnostics as well as Christians (of all denominations).
    Indeed, it is possible that an (open minded) Atheist could be a Creation Scientist – i.e. a scientifically qualified person who OBJECTIVELY INVESTIGATES the evidence for Direct Creation.:D

Scofflaw
    I am qualified as a geologist, but I certainly have an interest in physics. It makes me neither a physicist, nor even a geophysicist.

Quite true!!!

BTW your new found interest in physics contrasts rather sharply with YOUR previous statement (and I quote):-
    "Most geologists study it (Geology) in the first place to avoid physics."
    .....or are you the exception to your own rule???:D

Robin
    I can't help but admire how somebody can think that he'd be brave enough to kill or die for their religion (see previous thread posts), but not brave enough to tell us -- a bunch of people he does not know, after all -- what degree he has, or where it was from, or what he's working at?

NO, I have NEVER said that I would kill for my faith – indeed as a Christian, I am explicitly commanded by Jesus Christ to LOVE my enemies and DO GOOD to those who hate me!!!!:cool:

YES, as a Christian, I would be prepared to die rather than deny Jesus Christ – but I am not foolhardy enough to die for my interest in Creation Science!!!!!:D

Robin

It is indeed a very brave act for any scientist to declare an interest in Creation Science – and your words and those of Wicknight perfectly illustrate the type of ridicule that such a declaration can generate.

Wicknight
    Yes, you (J C) won't get a job.
    Robin
    Indeed! But thankfully, they (Creationists) are all so inanely incompetent that they're functionally unemployable as real biologists.

It is indeed ironic that the principle of academic freedom seems to be freely extemded to almost every discipline except the scientific study of our Direct Creation by God!!!!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

J C wrote:
    BTW did anybody see the Evolution programme on RTE yesterday evening where they proposed that the Dinosaurs disappeared because they:-
    (a) Died from OLD AGE.
    (b) Were ‘melted’ by a deluge of ACID RAIN with a pH approaching that of battery acid.
    (c) Were wiped out by a worldwide FIRE.
    (d) Froze to death in a worldwide ICE AGE.
    (e) Were wiped out by a WORLDWIDE TSUNAMI.

The Evolutionists don’t seem to know how the Dinosaurs actually died out !!!!!!!!
    Incredible, it would appear some fields of science have "open problems". Probably a sign that they are fields "in crisis".

Son Goku wrote:
    Incredible, it would appear some fields of science have "open problems". Probably a sign that they are fields "in crisis".

Riddled with controversy...
    JC wrote:
    Scofflaw wrote:
    Can you also confirm that you are not an agricultural scientist?

….can you confirm that you are NOT a Flea Entomology Scientist ????!!!

…..or can you perhaps confirm that you have NOT studied the breeding habits of the Himalayan Yak??

Hmm. The thick plottens, as they say...I'm pretty certain that JC is an AgSci, who did the standard smattering of all kinds of bits and pieces at NUI, which is what makes him think he has covered most fields of science. Alas, insofar as he has covered the fields of science, he seems to have covered them with what you might expect.
    JC wrote:
    I tend to take people at their word – and I have found that Born Again Christians always tell the truth.

Indeed, they usually do. I rather think that's the problem, though. As bonkey points out, there is no single scientific qualification that will support the claims you have made for your expertise - and I think you'd rather not lie outright, so you hide behind your claims of potential conspiracy and sinister intent instead of coming clean.

Never mind - anyway, I laugh wholeheartedly once again at your claims to understanding science. You're amusing though - rather like a sort of intellectual rubber ball.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

J C wrote:
    Could I declare ‘an honest and unequivocal refusal’ to reveal any further information about myself and could I ask that this line of questioning be dropped. I promise that I will not question your claimed qualifications, and I would ask that you extend the same basic courtesy to me as well

I do not claim any qualifications and, so, they are not in question. Anyway, consider the matter dropped - with me at least - though it seems your use of bad analogies, answering questions with questions and general side-stepping mean more than a couple are not willing to let it drop just yet;)

J C wrote:
    I’m sure that ‘some’ may object to a doctor using his/her medical qualifications to give his/her medical opinions credibility!!!!
    However, such objections don’t invalidate either the medical opinions or the qualifications of the doctor who is providing them!!!!

Well, if they were allowing their medical opinions to be skewed by the Bible, then yes, very much so. If their opinions are evidence-based then fine. If they rely on an unsubstantiated faith in a book written by ignorant men before the 2nd century then I consider this to invalidate their opinions as it goes against their training.
    J C wrote:
    Can I refer you to the past 270 plus pages on this thread for a sample of my ‘publication record’.

Few peer-reviewed scientists that I have known, have had their writings subjected to such minute scrutiny by so many scientists !!!!:D

Per-review is used used to critique scientific investigations, not opinions. This is the very process that has side-lined so much 'creation science.'

Son Goku wrote:

If the evolutionists cannot give a straight answer to the straight question of what happened the Dinosaurs - then they would indeed appear to be 'in crisis'!!!

The answer is quite obvious from the evidence (millions of dead Dinosaurs buried in rock layers laid down by water all over the Earth).......

......need I say more????:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

J C wrote:
    bonkey
    It has been shown that a cornerstone of your arguments is the non-scientific premise of biblical truth.

Not so!!!

Objective repeatable observations are the cornerstone of Creation Science.

Except they aren't objective, as they are discarded if they do not agree with the biblical account.

Creation science is not scientific. It has, at its core, a non-falsifiable assumption. Its very name shows the lie that it is.
    The premise of Biblical Truth is a cornerstone of the Christian Faith – and, as I have already said, these are two distinctly SEPARATE things.
    JC, I couldn't care less about what you say. Words are cheap. Its what you can make a case for thats of interest, and you've failed to show that Creation Science is, in fact, seperate.

You can repeat as often as you like that it isn't so, just as you can continue to repeat yourself about how you've 'defeated' the evolutionists on this thread. In neither case will repition actually make it true.
    It is indeed ironic that tolerance and academic freedom seems to be freely extemded to almost every discipline except the scientific study of our Direct Creation by God!!!!!!!

Actually, no. Tolerance and academic freedom do not extend to any pseudo-science. Cranks of any type are given a tough time.

If creationists had the moral integrity and simple honesty to admit that the non-falsifiable premises central to their work preclude it from being a science, they too would be shown tolerance and the rest. While they insist on duplicity, however, they will be treated as their duplicity deserves.

bonkey wrote:
    Tolerance and academic freedom do not extend to any pseudo-science. Cranks of any type are given a tough time.

If creationists had the moral integrity and simple honesty to admit that the non-falsifiable premises central to their work preclude it from being a science, they too would be shown tolerance and the rest. While they insist on duplicity, however, they will be treated as their duplicity deserves.

An interesting definition of what "Academic Freedom" and "tolerance" means in the post-modern mind of the Evolutionist.

I think you could summmarise it as follows:-

Creation Scientists enjoy full Academic Freedom and tolerance as long as they accept Evolution - otherwise they will be labelled as 'pseudo-scientific cranks' and "given a tough time".:D :)

J C wrote:
    If the evolutionists cannot give a straight answer to the straight question of what happened the Dinosaurs - then they would indeed appear to be 'in crisis'!!!

The answer is quite obvious from the evidence (millions of dead Dinosaurs buried in rock layers laid down by water all over the Earth).......

Well, you're aware that they would have died of old age in any case by now?

This is the kind of thing that makes one wonder how you can claim to know anything about science. Science is a process of asking questions, looking for answers, testing the answers, and eventually accepting the answers (or rejecting them, in which case we go back to looking). It is, you see, quite normal for there to be a gap of time between the question and the answer: in science that is - I'm aware it doesn't apply to Creationism , and certainly not to you.

So, when science says it doesn't know something, that is because it is an honest process for finding answers. It does not claim to have all the answers in advance - and unlike some, it does not then pretend to.
    JC wrote:
    An interesting definition of what "Academic Freedom" and "tolerance" means in the post-modern mind of the Evolutionist.

I think you could summmarise it as follows:-

Creation Scientists enjoy full Academic Freedom and tolerance as long as they accept Evolution - otherwise they will be labelled as 'pseudo-scientific cranks' and "given a tough time".

Again, all this shows is your lack of understanding. Creation Science is not unscientific because of its conclusions, it is unscientific because of its methods. It is perfectly possible to challenge evolution without being labelled a 'pseudo-scientific crank' - indeed, you yourself have pointed out scientists who have openly challenged evolution, and had their objections taken perfectly seriously. The difference between those scientists and "Creation Scientists" is that they are scientists - that is, people who use the scientific method. "Creation Scientists" don't - they use polemic, rhetoric, and a million verbal displays of pyrotechnics instead. All very well, and great marketing - indeed, much better marketing than boring old science can provide - but it's not science.

I have no great hope that you will ever understand this, since it first requires you to understand what science is, which you clearly don't.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

J C wrote:
    Creation Scientists enjoy full Academic Freedom and tolerance as long as they accept Evolution - otherwise they will be labelled as 'pseudo-scientific cranks' and "given a tough time".:D :)

Creation Scientist is an oxymoron, because Creationism isn't science.

A "creation scientist" doesn't recognize this, and therefore doesn't recognize what is or is not science.

Therefore they cannot be called a scientists, since they do not understand what being a scientist means.

You either do or do not except science.

Evolution theory has very little to do with it. You can be a scientist and not accept Neo-Darwin Evolutionary theory. Though quite why someone would do this other than non-scientific grounds (such as religion) I'm not sure since it is a very well supported set of theories in science despite your unsupported claims to the contrary (putting smily faces after your comments don't actually make them true JC). But the simple fact of the matter is that not accepting evolution doesn't stop you being recongised as a scientists, and plenty of scientists have not accepted evolution and been fine.

On the other hand you cannot be a scientist and accept supernatural creation as a scientific basis for anything, since supernatural creation is completely untestable and unfalsifiable. It is not, and cannot, be science. Those who do think it is science simply betray the fact that they do not understand what science is.

Creation Science therefore is an oxymoron. It means nothing.

If someone doesn't understand science the rest of the scientific community cannot be expected to hand hold them and pretend that they are a scientist just in the name of "religious tolerance".

J C wrote:

You could if you like give a paper on how a world wide flood actually managed to do this supported by models and testing.

But given your previous habit of telling people to feck off to Google when they ask you for scientific papers detailing your "theories" I'm not holding my breath.

You see Creationists have this advantage that they can just make answers up, they don't actually need to support them in anyway with scientific models and evidence. You might disagree with evolutionary theories, but with every single one of them you can read a ton of scientific papers explaining the in detail the models and what evidence is used to support these models. You can't with Creationists theories of a world wide Biblical flood. There isn't even anything to disagree with, it doesn't exist

So I doubt you will find any papers that detail how the Biblical flood actually happened in detail, because there is no model nor evidence that Creationsist have to explain it. They simply claim it happened, end of story.

Again, its not science

JC wrote:
    NO, I have NEVER said that I would kill for my faith
    At some point in this thread, you explained that if you were given the choice between murdering your family or having your family murdered (can't remember which one), or saying that your religion is false, you'd pick the former. You justified this by claiming that people are responsible for their own souls only and not for the souls of other people. I trust you'll forgive me for not finding the quote, but it's in here somewhere.
    JC wrote:
    It is indeed a very brave act for any scientist to declare an interest in Creation Science.
    I'm interested in creationism and not ashamed to say it. If anybody's interested in who I am, do let me know and I'll happily post my name and qualifications. BTW, I'm going with the "JC is ag-sci" theory, pending any evidence that JC wishes to post to the contrary.

But I'm still fascinated to know why you won't do the same. Are you frightened that your employer will find out?

J C wrote:
    Okay, right look at this:

(1) There exists a point of time where we find out that there is some knowledge we don't currently posses. Let us call it Time A.
    (2) There exists a point in time when we posses said knowledge. Let us call it Time B.
    (3) Humans obtain things through action.
    (4) Time moves forward.

From (1), (2) and (4), we may infere that there exists a duration of time when we are aware of the gap in our knowledge, but have not closed it. Let us call this duration "the uncertain period". From (3) we can infere that the knowledge is eventually possesed through some process. Obviously this process must occur in "the uncertain period". We shall call this process by which we obtain knowledge, research. It's period of existence is the "uncertain period".

You would appear to have some critique of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

J C wrote:

Despite your constant efforts to misdirect us, its got nothing to do with evolution or evolutionists.

I made my comments with reference to science and scientists. The latter, as well as non-scientists supporters of the former have no time for charlatans who attempt to hijack the hard-earned respectability of science for non-scientific purposes.
    Creation Scientists enjoy full Academic Freedom and tolerance as long as they accept Evolution

No. Creationists are not tolerated when the try to pass creationism off as a science for just that - trying to pass creationism off as a science.

You don't have to accept all or any aspects of evolution. However, any objection must be clearly defined either solely within a scientific framework or accepted as being non-scientific in nature. The "man from muck" rhetoric that you demonstrate an affection for is - as Wicknight correctly identified it - marketing. And you know what...I have no problem with marketing right up until the point where marketers engage in wilful deception. At that point, the first thing one should do is ensure it is not deception based in ignorance. Once that has been established, but the deception continues, tolerance should no longer be extended to them.

Unlike Wicknight, I believe you understand full well what constitutes science, and what it means to be a scientist. I am not labouring under the illusion that you are arguing from a position of ignorance. You know exactly what you're doing. You're engaging in marketing, attempting to pass it off as something else, and pretending dismay and outrage that your deception isn't being bindly allowed. You are not the victim here. Science is, and you are fully aware of that.

What amazes me is that you spend so much time deriding science and its practitioners, whilst still desperately trying to pass off your non-science as the object of your scorn.

So, I would summarise your argument as follows:

Science is so sucky that I desperately want Creationism to be considered a part of it.

p.s. Evolution is Wrong.

In deference to anyone reading this, I have omitted from my summary the inevitable smileys and exclamation marks any post of yours must contain. Maybe its some savvy marketing technique I haven't learned yet.

Article: What are denialist conspiracy theories and why should people be instantly distrustful of them? And what do they have to do with denialism?

Reasonable summary of what gets said here pretty regularly.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Good link Scofflaw. It's often typical of these kind of debates that we hear how "crap" standard scientific theories are, along with conspiracies (scientists make big bucks from promoting evolution). What we never hear is the answer to the simple question, if the theories are so useless why do they match the evidence?
    Why do they work?

...and people rarely ask why it is that creationists believe that "belief in" evolution causes crime, but fail to notice that the USA whose population is around 90% creationist, has some of the worst rates of crime around. Unless, of course, it's the jack-booted biologists running around doing all the crime, in between field-trips to study fish, fungi and other tasty bits of the natural world...

One can't help but feel they haven't thought this through fully.

Scofflaw wrote:
    Reasonable summary of what gets said here pretty regularly.

You would say that since you working for the CRAB PEOPLE!!! :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

bonkey said:
    You don't have to accept all or any aspects of evolution. However, any objection must be clearly defined either solely within a scientific framework or accepted as being non-scientific in nature.
    Yes, I agree. But I think that is all JC is saying: not that science offers proof of God as Creator, but that a scientific argument can be made that today's lifeforms emerged fully operational rather than evolved.

It is only the scientific argument presented by Creation Science that we expect to be part of the scientific debate. One should not rule out that debate just because of the religious beliefs of the scientists.

Seems to me the debate is whether the evidence can best be explained by an Old Evolved Model or by a Young Complete Model. How either started is beyond the remit of science.

• Advertisement

wolfsbane wrote:
    Yes, I agree. But I think that is all JC is saying: not that science offers proof of God as Creator, but that a scientific argument can be made that today's lifeforms emerged fully operational rather than evolved.

Well actually JC has claimed both things, a number of times. Neither are true of course, but it doesn't stop him. He is the little Creationists who could...
    wolfsbane wrote:
    It is only the scientific argument presented by Creation Science that we expect to be part of the scientific debate.
    Creation Science doesn't put forward a scientific argument. That is why science ignores them.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    One should not rule out that debate just because of the religious beliefs of the scientists.

No, one rules out "debate" when a bunch of religious people attempt to muscle their theories into science without bothering to form scientific theories and models around these religious theories.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Seems to me the debate is whether the evidence can best be explained by an Old Evolved Model or by a Young Complete Model.
    There is no "Young Complete Model" ... if you think I'm wrong go ahead and look it up. Bring back a scientific model of young earth creation. ("God did it" by the way isn't a model) You wouldn't find one because one does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Wicknight said:
    There is no "Young Complete Model" ... if you think I'm wrong go ahead and look it up. Bring back a scientific model of young earth creation. ("God did it" by the way isn't a model) You wouldn't find one because one does not exist.
    Just to make sure we are not talking at cross-purposes: I'm not saying there is a scientific argument as to how the universe and its biosphere came into being instantaneously. Just as is no scientific argument as to how the universe could have come into existence/always existed. The scientific argument relates to what happened afterwards: The Big Bang and billions of years of ever-increasing complexity; or complex organisms suffering natural selection.

The issue is not even which model best explains the phenomena around us, for what seems a better explanation today may prove to be invalid in tomorrow's light. Rather, the issue is should we refuse to accept as scientific argument any case based on the philosophical presuppositions of the scientist.

There are many variations in what I generalise as the Young Complete Model, just as there are in the Old Evolved Model. And many specialised aspects: cosmology, geology, etc. All present various arguments and hypotheses as to explain the evidence before us. I suppose Creation Scientists could integrate them all to produce one theory of everything. Perhaps they have - I don't know. But I do know they have published many scientific hypotheses on different aspects of how things came to be as they are.

Check out the http://trueorigin.org/ site for some of these. An example: Darwinism and the Deterioration
    of the Genome. Jerry Bergman, Ph.D. http://trueorigin.org/mutations01.asp

wolfsbane wrote:
    The scientific argument relates to what happened afterwards:
    Creationists are missing 2 vital models

Firstly none of the evidence of the way the universe is today suggests that its origin was 10,000 years ago. All (let me repeat, ALL) of the evidence suggests that the origin of the universe was at some point approx 13.7 billion years ago. As such the scientific model of the universe works back to that point.

Creationists do not have a model of the current universe that works back to a single point in time 10,000 years ago. They have no working model to account for the evidence that leads proper scientists to the Big Bang theory. They have not formed their own model of the universe where this evidence makes sense.

Don't believe me? Go look it up. You won't find a Creationists model of the universe that works with the evidence. At most they simply ignore this evidence or dismiss it as being atheists propaganda.

Secondly, creationists do not have a model of what happened in the brief moments after Biblical creation.

Scientists have a model of the moments after the Big bang that can be used as a basis for other models such as general relativity that can predict things right up to now.

Creationists don't. In fact they cannot even model why the universe looks a heck of a lot older if it was only created 10,000 years ago. Again they simply dismiss it with non-scientific religious nonsense, the old "God did it" excuse.

They can't even borrow the scientific ones because if the world started 10,000 years ago the scientific ones, such as general relativity, don't work at modeling the universe.

Put simply, Creationists do not have models for anything.

Again if you think I'm wrong look it up. You will not find Creationists models of these things because they don't exist. Creationists don't know how to model them because there is no theory or evidence behind it. It is simply nonsense

And you wonder why scientists don't want this stuff in a science class room? :rolleyes:
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The issue is not even which model best explains the phenomena around us, for what seems a better explanation today may prove to be invalid in tomorrow's light.
    No, that is exactly what the issue is. Science uses the current models that appear to predict the universe based on observation. These models are either updated or discarded when they eventually reach a point where they no longer predict new observations.

For example Newtons models were used up until it was discovered that they were slightly off. They were replaced by quantum mechanics and general relativity, which were more accurate models.

Considering that Creationists don't actually have any models to start with beyond "God did it", it is not easy to see why scientists do have any use for Creationism (since it cannot actually model, predict or explain anything) and don't want it included in science.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Rather, the issue is should we refuse to accept as scientific argument any case based on the philosophical presuppositions of the scientist.
    No, we should refuse to accept anything that is not properly theorised and modeled. "God did it" is not a scientific model.

I imagine around this point you are going to say that Creationism is far more detailed that "God did it". But is it really?

Creationists spend most of their time trying to debunk current scientific models and theories. They spend very little time actually attempting to form scientific models based on their religious beliefs.

If you don't believe me then be my guest to crawl over the many creationists web sites I'm sure you know and bring back scientific and mathematical models of a universe that Young Earth Creationists believe reflect our current universe.

You won't find any because their aren't any. Creationists have no idea how to model this imaginary universe because none of the evidence has ever supported it.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    There are many variations in what I generalise as the Young Complete Model
    One will do Wolfsbane. But they cannot even produce that.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I suppose Creation Scientists could integrate them all to produce one theory of everything. Perhaps they have - I don't know.
    They haven't, trust me.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    But I do know they have published many scientific hypotheses on different aspects of how things came to be as they are.
    All the Creationists papers I've see posted here by either yourself or JC simply attempt to debunk current scientific theories.

I've never seen a Creationist scientific paper that models for example the universe 5 seconds after creation, or explains the evidence that proper science predicts with general relativity.

I've never seen this because it doesn't exist. Creationists don't model these things.

I would put forward that it is because the evidence doesn't support it so they actually have no idea how to do it (of course the reason is that the universe doesn't actually work the way they think it should and so they will never be able to model it the way they want)

But also one finds the pecular fact that very few Creationists actually comment on areas they are actually trained in. So you will get a Creationists with a background in astrophyisics complaining about biological evolution. Or a Creationists with a back ground in engineering complaining about general relativity.

They tend not to be trained in the area they are actually commenting on, so is it any wonder they cannot form different models to model what they claim the universe should be like?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Check out the http://trueorigin.org/ site for some of these. An example: Darwinism and the Deterioration
    of the Genome. Jerry Bergman, Ph.D. http://trueorigin.org/mutations01.asp
    [/quote]
    Again, that is not putting forward a different model. It is simply attacking the currently accepted scientific model.

All Creationists do is attack current scientific theories. They actually have no models or theories of their own.

Simply attacking a scientific theory and then assume that "God did it" if they theory falls apart is nonsense.

You have to replace a scientific theory with another scientific theory. Otherwise it is left as "we don't know", not "must have been God"

wolfsbane wrote:
    Rather, the issue is should we refuse to accept as scientific argument any case based on the philosophical presuppositions of the scientist.

It is not the philosophical presuppositions of the scientist, as whether their argument requires the supernatural in any way.

It is one of the chosen limitations of science that only 'natural' exaplanations can be considered - those that are limited, bounded, and causal.

There is no prejudice in science against God specifically. Nothing that can operate outside the bounds of causality, or the constraints of physical laws, can be part of a scientific argument without rendering that argument unscientific.

I know we've been over this repeatedly, but it's worth repeating. Science operates on the basis that there are a finite set of solutions to any given problem, and that all but the correct solution can be eliminated by showing them to be impossible.

The moment one introduces into an explanation something not bounded by the laws of nature, then the set of possible solutions becomes infinite, and there is no way of eliminating any of the solutions, because nothing is impossible.

The less supernatural something is, the more closely science can approach it. The Yeti, for example, is a very concrete example of the "supernatural" - no-one claims that the Yeti can break the laws of nature, so Yetis are a possible, if implausible part of a scientific argument. There are a lot of such entities in the "near supernatural", that might turn out to use mechanisms, or occupy niches, of which we are currently ignorant. Such entities require only minor modifications of known laws, or somewhat contrived loopholes. They do not significantly raise the number of possible solutions to a given problem.

God, on the other hand, occupies, or indeed defines, the "farthest supernatural", unbound by time, causality, or any natural law, but only by His own nature. If there is any entity that is above nature by definition, it is God - so God is the least scientific entity.

This is not an atheistic prejudice, but the result of the requirement for anything involved in a scientific argument to be bound by the laws of nature.

If you were to put to me the notion of a god which is very limited - a sort of genius loci or something of that order - that god occupies part of the supernatural almost infinitely closer to us than does the omnipotent God of Christianity.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    There are many variations in what I generalise as the Young Complete Model, just as there are in the Old Evolved Model. And many specialised aspects: cosmology, geology, etc. All present various arguments and hypotheses as to explain the evidence before us. I suppose Creation Scientists could integrate them all to produce one theory of everything. Perhaps they have - I don't know. But I do know they have published many scientific hypotheses on different aspects of how things came to be as they are.

Indeed, we should expect Creationists to have many more explanations for any given problem, for the reasons outlined above.

Since God can do anything within His nature, and that nature only sets limits in terms of good and evil, no physical mechanism is unavailable to God. There are, literally, no physical limits to His capacity. The set of possible solutions to the questions raised by Genesis, then, is almost infinite, bounded only by the interpretation of what is written in Genesis.

Science cannot fit God within it, and so He must remain outside. He may underlie everything science studies, but unless He is bound by natural laws, God cannot be part of a scientific explanation.

I don't know whether any of this makes sense to you, or whether it's so clearly against what you know to be true that you are forced to reject it entirely, but it's as simple as this: if we play poker, you cannot use dice. You're welcome to suggest a dice game, but it won't be poker. If you write a game that uses dice, and call it poker, it still won't be poker. There is simply no way of putting dice into a poker game.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Originally Posted by J C

......need I say more??

Scofflaw
    Well, you're aware that they would have died of old age in any case by now?

…..and what kind of a rebuttal is THAT???!!!

…….it’s like saying that if Cleopatra wasn’t bitten by an Asp, she would have died of old age by now!!!!

……the really important/interesting thing is that ‘Cleo’ DIDN’T die of natural causes – and similarly the really important/interesting thing is that millions of Dinosaurs WERE buried rapidly in rock layers laid down by water all over the Earth – and these particular Dinosaurs DIDN’T die of old age – but were engulfed by a worldwide FLOOD!!!!.:D

Scofflaw
    Science is a process of asking questions, looking for answers, testing the answers, and eventually accepting the answers (or rejecting them, in which case we go back to looking). It is, you see, quite normal for there to be a gap of time between the question and the answer in science

……but forensic Science DOES answer questions – such as how the Dinosaurs were wiped out ……..
    ……and (some) Evolutionists HAVE accepted that the scientific evidence suggest that it was by a ‘worldwide tsunami’ AKA Noah’s Flood.:eek:

Scofflaw
    So, when science says it doesn't know something, that is because it is an honest process for finding answers. It does not claim to have all the answers in advance - and unlike some, it does not then pretend to.

……but the forensics ARE very clear on this one – and science KNOWS that they were drowned in massive numbers and rapidly buried under HUGE VOLUMES of water-borne sediment that RAPIDLY petrified into rock and fossilised the Dinosaurs.

…..and all of this occurred relatively recently as evidenced by the red blood cells recovered from partially fossilised Dinosaur bones.:)

Scofflaw
    It is perfectly possible to challenge evolution without being labelled a 'pseudo-scientific crank' - indeed, you yourself have pointed out scientists who have openly challenged evolution, and had their objections taken perfectly seriously.

Do you have ANY example of such magnanimity in action???

Wicknight
    You can be a scientist and not accept Neo-Darwin Evolutionary theory. Though quite why someone would do this other than non-scientific grounds (such as religion) I'm not sure since it is a very well supported set of theories in science

……but the belief that one is descended from base chemicals through a materialistic process IS a religious belief – and a very poorly supported one at that!!!!

Materialistic Evolution breaks every known Law of science and logic and it has never been observed – and so it is NOT a valid Scientific Theory !!!

…… unless, perhaps you have evidence to the contrary???:confused:

Wicknight
    But the simple fact of the matter is that not accepting evolution doesn't stop you being recongised as a scientists, and plenty of scientists have not accepted evolution and been fine.

The simple fact of the matter is that many scientists DON’T accept Evolution as scientifically valid – but most prefer an ‘easy life’ and (quite sensibly) avoid risking the kind of vilification that I have suffered on this thread at the hands of 'emotionally charged' Evolutionists furiously promoting their (A)theistic beliefs!!!

Wicknight
    On the other hand you cannot be a scientist and accept supernatural creation as a scientific basis for anything, since supernatural creation is completely untestable and unfalsifiable. It is not, and cannot, be science. Those who do think it is science simply betray the fact that they do not understand what science is.

Creation Science doesn’t explain HOW Creation occurred – just like ‘The Big Bang’ doesn’t explain HOW the Universe arose.
    Creation Science does study the RESULTANT EFFECTS of Direct Creation.
    Forensic science can determine whether somebody died of natural causes or was murdered, for example, by an intelligent agent.
    Equally, forensic science can determine whether life arose via natural processes or was created by an intelligent agent – and Creation Science applies forensic science to do so!!!!

Wicknight
    If someone doesn't understand science the rest of the scientific community cannot be expected to hand hold them and pretend that they are a scientist just in the name of "religious tolerance".

It can indeed be frustrating to see Evolutionists holding onto an invalid scientific position – but I respect their deeply held religious belief......in Materialistic Evolution!!!!!;)

Wicknight
    This post was written for the universal improvement of mankind

Council for Secular Humanism

A clear admission that you are promoting a RELIGIOUS BELIEF in Secular Humanism.

BTW, I fully respect your right to hold and express your unfounded belief in Materialistic Evolution on this Christianity Forum………..
    …..but I would ask that you respect my right to hold and express my well founded belief in Direct Creation on this Christian Forum as well.

Wicknight

You see Creationists have this advantage that they can just make answers up, they don't actually need to support them in anyway with scientific models and evidence.

But the EVIDENCE of billions of tonnes of sedimentary rocks containing billions of fossils all over the Earth DOES support a worldwide water-based catastrophe.
    Equally, the ‘folk memory’ of many peoples all over the world recalls such a disaster.

In addition, life is observed to contain such vast quantities of Complex tightly Specified Information, that it logically can only have an effectively infinite intelligence as it’s ultimate cause.

The only people ‘making answers up' are the Evolutionists.
    As new evidence disproves a previous widely believed (but invalid) theory, like the Dinosaurs being wiped out by a Meteor…….
    …..the Evolutionists simply think up another alternative explanation, which in turn, can be quietly discarded when new evidence disproving it emerges!!!!

Wicknight
    You might disagree with evolutionary theories, but with every single one of them you can read a ton of scientific papers explaining the in detail the models and what evidence is used to support these models.

I have yet to see a SINGLE PIECE of scientific evidence in favour of Evolution, that isn’t better explained by Direct Creation!!!

If you have any I would love to see it!!!

Robin
    At some point in this thread, you explained that if you were given the choice between murdering your family or having your family murdered (can't remember which one), or saying that your religion is false, you'd pick the former. You justified this by claiming that people are responsible for their own souls only and not for the souls of other people. I trust you'll forgive me for not finding the quote, but it's in here somewhere.

I most certainly didn’t say any such thing.

However, I have always said that, as a Christian, I would not deny Jesus Christ irrespective of the consequences for me personally.

Son Goku
    Okay, right look at this:

(1) There exists a point of time where we find out that there is some knowledge we don't currently posses. Let us call it Time A.
    (2) There exists a point in time when we posses said knowledge. Let us call it Time B.
    (3) Humans obtain things through action.
    (4) Time moves forward.

From (1), (2) and (4), we may infere that there exists a duration of time when we are aware of the gap in our knowledge, but have not closed it. Let us call this duration "the uncertain period". From (3) we can infere that the knowledge is eventually possesed through some process. Obviously this process must occur in "the uncertain period". We shall call this process by which we obtain knowledge, research. It's period of existence is the "uncertain period".

…..but EVERY aspect of ‘big picture Evolution’ is currently stuck in it’s very own “uncertainty period” – and so we know NOTHING scientifically about it.

On the other hand, Creation Science research is making great strides in explaining all aspects of the Universe and life, from a Theistic perspective and most Creation Science Theories have already passed through their “uncertainty periods” – to use your phrase!!!:cool:

bonkey
    I made my comments with reference to science and scientists. The latter, as well as non-scientists supporters of the former have no time for charlatans who attempt to hijack the hard-earned respectability of science for non-scientific purposes.

Charlatans, Eh!!!
    I certainly wouldn’t use such intemperate language about Wicknight and his fellow Humanists ……
    …….but now that you mention it, their beliefs ARE indeed unfounded and they DO claim scientific justification for them!!!!:D

bonkey

p.s. Evolution is Wrong.

Why has it taken you 5476 posts to admit this!!!!

Progress at last!!!!:)

Wicknight
    Creation Science doesn't put forward a scientific argument. That is why science ignores them.

……so THAT is what you have been doing for the past 5482 posts – IGNORING me!!!!!

Wicknight
    one rules out "debate" when a bunch of religious people attempt to muscle their theories into science without bothering to form scientific theories and models around these religious theories.

I WOULDN’T rule out debate with such people…..

……indeed I HAVE been debating with them (the 'religious' Atheistic Humanists) on this very thread!!!!

Scofflaw
    Nothing that can operate outside the bounds of causality, or the constraints of physical laws, can be part of a scientific argument without rendering that argument unscientific

I fully agree that nothing in science can operate outside the bounds of causality, or the constraints of physical laws.......
    So please tell me what was the ultimate cause of the Universe and all life – and what are the physical laws that lead to an increase in Complex Specified Information WITHOUT an input of intelligence??

Scofflaw
    Science operates on the basis that there are a finite set of solutions to any given problem, and that all but the correct solution can be eliminated by showing them to be impossible.

In the case of Evolution, the fact that all of the electrons in the entire Universe would be required for an effective infinity of time to produce the sequence for just one specific 100 chain protein proves that Evolution is IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

Scofflaw
    Indeed, we should expect Creationists to have many more explanations for any given problem, for the reasons outlined above.

…but Creation science research has narrowed down the scientific explanations for most phenomena to just ONE explanation – the true explanation of what happened!!!

Evolutionists are the ones with “ many more explanations for any given problem”. Just look at the GROWING number of explanations for what happened the Dinosaurs :-

(a) They died from OLD AGE.
    (b) They were ‘melted’ by a deluge of ACID RAIN with a pH approaching that of battery acid.
    (c) They were wiped out by a worldwide FIRE.
    (d) They froze to death in a worldwide ICE AGE.
    (e) They were wiped out by a WORLDWIDE TSUNAMI.

The Evolutionists don’t seem to know HOW the Dinosaurs actually died out !!!!!!!!

…… but I can reveal that Creation Science has ‘water-tight’ SCIENTIFIC evidence that a ‘Worldwide Tsunami’ WAS how it happened!!!!!

Scofflaw
    Science cannot fit God within it, and so He must remain outside. He may underlie everything science studies, but unless He is bound by natural laws, God cannot be part of a scientific explanation.

IF God created the Universe then such an act SHOULD be part of the scientific explanation.

Indeed, a materialist origins explanation would be plainly WRONG if God created it all.

So, the question of whether God created the Universe and all life IS a very important question.

Forensic science CAN answer this question – and BOTH Creation Science and Intelligent Design Proponents have answered it in the affirmative!!!

Scofflaw
    if we play poker, you cannot use dice. You're welcome to suggest a dice game, but it won't be poker.

……the evolutionists are the ones ‘playing dice with the Universe’ – despite Einstein’s warning that he didn’t believe that random processes were involved in it’s CREATION!!!

JC wrote:
    Scofflaw wrote:

…but Creation science research has narrowed down the scientific explanations for most phenomena to just ONE explanation – the true explanation of what happened!!!

Evolutionists are the ones with “ many more explanations for any given problem”. Just look at the GROWING number of explanations for what happened the Dinosaurs :-

(a) They died from OLD AGE.
    (b) They were ‘melted’ by a deluge of ACID RAIN with a pH approaching that of battery acid.
    (c) They were wiped out by a worldwide FIRE.
    (d) They froze to death in a worldwide ICE AGE.
    (e) They were wiped out by a WORLDWIDE TSUNAMI.

The Evolutionists don’t seem to know HOW the Dinosaurs actually died out !!!!!!!!

…… but I can reveal that Creation Science has ‘water-tight’ SCIENTIFIC evidence that a ‘Worldwide Tsunami’ WAS how it happened!!!!!

I'm afraid all you're revealing at this point is that you can't get your underpants off your head.
    JC wrote:
    Scofflaw wrote:
    Nothing that can operate outside the bounds of causality, or the constraints of physical laws, can be part of a scientific argument without rendering that argument unscientific

I fully agree that nothing can operate outside the bounds of causality, or the constraints of physical laws.......
    So please tell me what was the ultimate cause of the Universe and all life – and what are the physical laws that lead to an increase in Complex Specified Information WITHOUT an input of intelligence??

My point above is that God is not constrained by natural laws, and therefore cannot be studied within a system that limits itself to things constrained by natural laws - your point is what? You appear to be saying that God is not constrained by natural laws, and is therefore the answer to all the questions.

Your entire post makes it clear that you didn't read the posts you were "replying to", or possibly couldn't comprehend them It also contains a number of frankly silly assertions about what "science shows" and "science claims", none of which bear any relationship to the real world.

While I enjoy responding to your posts as a form of rhetorical exercise, I'm slightly busy at the moment, so I will wait to respond until either your medication kicks in, or I'm less busy. I apologise for the intermission...

regretfully,
    Scofflaw

JC wrote:
    I most certainly didn’t say any such thing.
    Unfortunately, you did. I'll try to find it when I get back home in a couple of days.

BTW, can you tell us why you won't give us any information which might allow us to identify you? Is it that you are concerned that you might lose your job or something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

wolfsbane wrote:
    Excelsior said:
    'If Jesus is the Son of God, then at the end of our days, he is going to put his arm around our (collective our of Christianity) shoulder and say, "Guys, seriously. Why did you think it mattered that you should teach starving children about theistic evolution? Give them water and food."'

So Creationists don't feed starving children? Perhaps we kill them and drink their blood? We seem to be the Jews of the 'liberal Christian' reich. How do you know what we give to the needy? From my experience, Evangelicals have been to the front of works of compassion. What we ALSO do, not instead of, is bring the Word of God to them. Saving their souls and strengthening them in the Truth. This oneness of true Christians you mention is the work of God, involving a growing knowledge of and obedience to the Truth. The passage often referred to by 'liberal Christians' actually refutes their wooly sentiments:

Soup for souls then?, reminds of the english feeding the famine victims, and giving them an education, but only if they converted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

karen3212 wrote:
    Soup for souls then?, reminds of the english feeding the famine victims, and giving them an education, but only if they converted

I have been personally involved in distributing aid to the needy through various evangelical organisations in a number of countries. I have never seen a single instance where aid would only be given if someone converted. Indeed, I have seen local Christians cheerfully giving aid, with no strings attached, to those who had previously persecuted them.

I know this little interjection of fact doesn't accord with the stereotype of the manipulative missionary ramming a foreign faith down the throats of noble savages, but in my experience very few people actually conform to the stereotypes used to deride them.

• Advertisement

PDN wrote:
    I have been personally involved in distributing aid to the needy through various evangelical organisations in a number of countries. I have never seen a single instance where aid would only be given if someone converted. Indeed, I have seen local Christians cheerfully giving aid, with no strings attached, to those who had previously persecuted them.

I know this little interjection of fact doesn't accord with the stereotype of the manipulative missionary ramming a foreign faith down the throats of noble savages, but in my experience very few people actually conform to the stereotypes used to deride them.

Hmm. So the term "rice Christian" means nothing?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement