Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Perhaps were well beyond this, and the question has been somehow already dealth with (or dismissed), but I dont quite want to catch up on 300 pages... so...

I dont quite understand how creationists can dismiss radiometric dating? I mean.. it wasnt a single experiment, that one day somebody performed, that needs refutation.

But there are surely a vast number of different radioactive isotopes that can be used in different ways to measure the age of rocks in many different places all over the world as many times as you want, and they will always arrive at the same conclusion... that the earth is well older than 6000 years... and any choice to disbelieve that requires a baffling neglect of the fundamental tenets of probability.

Do creation scientists have some better scientific method of dating that has been tested and proven countless times and that shows that the age of the earth is 6000 years instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Sev wrote:
    Perhaps were well beyond this, and the question has been somehow already dealth with (or dismissed), but I dont quite want to catch up on 300 pages... so...

It has been dealt with, but anyway...
    I dont quite understand how creationists can dismiss radiometric dating? I mean.. it wasnt a single experiment, that one day somebody performed, that needs refutation.
    They basically refute it by saying "Its wrong." When pushed to explain, they explain that it must be wrong because it contradicts what they know to be right - the bible.

You'll also get some contaminated samples used to show how wrong it can be, as well as dishonest misdirection about how modern materials can be shown to be half a million years old (using a technique which measures across hundreds of millions of years, and would only be accurate to within about a million years anyway) and so forth.

Carbon radio-dating is accepted, but mostly because it accurately only covers a timeframe similar to the one creationists believe in. When we start getting back to the limits of it, they once again discard anything inconvenient as being wrong.

Oh...and I also think there's some assertion that nuclear properties may have been different back in those early days, which would mean that the techniques for other elements couldn't work. And the proof that the properties were different....why its that the techniques produce such "crazy" results as supporting tiemframes older than 10k years.

I have, as usual, omitted the vast array of exclamation marks, question marks and various smilies that would accompany this explanation had J C offered it to you.
    any choice to disbelieve that requires a baffling neglect of the fundamental tenets of probability.
    It requires a baffling rejection of most fields of science, to be honest.
    Do creation scientists have some better scientific method of dating that has been tested and proven countless times and that shows that the age of the earth is 6000 years instead?
    I believe they call it the bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

bonkey wrote:
    Oh...and I also think there's some assertion that nuclear properties may have been different back in those early days, which would mean that the techniques for other elements couldn't work. And the proof that the properties were different....why its that the techniques produce such "crazy" results as supporting tiemframes older than 10k years.

Ah, I see... thats tantamount to claiming that the laws of physics were different 6000 years ago. I see no problem with that, its just as logical as claiming that a magic man created everything then anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

J C wrote:
    Yes indeed, the sea temperatures were considerably higher than today in the immediate aftermath of the Flood
    Sea temperatures were considerably higher (what? 10 degrees? 20 degrees?) in the aftermath of the Flood during a nuclear winter and ice age:confused::confused::confused:

JC do you even know what a nuclear winter is????? Seriously, WTF are you talking about?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    ……..and this produced much higher levels of rainfall than today, in places like the Sahara and the Middle East......which had a very positive effect on their agricultural productivity. :cool:

High rain fall destroys agriculture .. have you looked at the new recently? :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    Many insects (and aquatic creatures) were also wiped out!!!!

Read your Bible JC :rolleyes:

All creatures (that includes insects by the way JC) except those on the Ark, were wiped out JC

If they weren't that means God f**ked up. Pure and simple.

Genesis 6:17
    I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish.

All life! Every creature JC! Fish, insects, mammals, bacteria, everything.

Genesis 7:23
    Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; men and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds of the air were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark.

The only creatures that survive are on the Ark. Pure and simple. Nothing on the land survived.

Which of course brings up back to the 900,000 insect species ... :rolleyes:
    J C wrote:
    The insects survived outside of the Ark…..

NOTHING survived outside the Ark JC ... read your Bible.

Genesis 7:4
    Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made.

Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; men and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds of the air were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark.

With a literal reading of the Bible not even the fish in the sea survived. The only living things left on the Earth were Noah, his family, and the animals he had in the Ark.

Its your Bible JC! Its amazing that you haven't even read it
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Wicknight wrote:

Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made.

that says they were wiped from the earth, and they were - literally, they were wiped from the earth and found purchase on floating debris :cool: :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

MooseJam wrote:
    that says they were wiped from the earth, and they were - literally, they were wiped from the earth and found purchase on floating debris :cool: :D:D

That would be a nice try, but they'd still be "on the face of the earth" - fortunately the Bible is very precise in such matters.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    That would be a nice try, but they'd still be "on the face of the earth" - fortunately the Bible is very precise in such matters.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

hmm, one could argue "from the face of the earth" actually refers to terra firma, you might be wrong but you could still argue, I'd say there is some argument to be found in the meaning of "creature" also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Wicknight wrote:
    I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it.

Clearly, this only applies to creatures (or 'kinds') with well-developed respiratory systems. :D:)

2Scoops wrote:
    Clearly, this only applies to creatures (or 'kinds') with well-developed respiratory systems. :D:)

well spotted, I think we have a winner

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

2Scoops wrote:
    Clearly, this only applies to creatures (or 'kinds') with well-developed respiratory systems.
    You are in a dangerous state of religious error and you risk the eternal damnation of your soul if you believe this errant teaching!

The bible is clearly referring to the constituent atoms of "breathable" things and that includes both the oxygen breathed by fauna 'kinds' as well as the carbon dioxide breathed by flora 'kinds'. We know from secular "science" that carbon and oxygen are fundamental atomic components of ALL life on earth, so god was clearly referring to everything containing these two atoms, which go to make up the proteins that make up life on earth.

So, from this one simple line, we can learn an important teaching about the full breath of god's divine care for us by reflecting upon his loving threat to wipe out not only everything that we can see on the face of the earth -- men, birds, beasts and "creeping things" -- but everything that we can't see also, including microbial, viral and prion lifeforms.

This is just one example amongst many about how the bible gets things right. Scientifically!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dissecting ancient literature is fun!!!
    Can we tear into the Davinci Code now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

What about trees, plants and flowers? Did Noah have a garden on the Ark with Giant redwoods etc.,?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Galvasean wrote:
    Dissecting ancient literature is fun!!!
    Can we tear into the Davinci Code now?

You dare call the DaVinci Code literature?!?!

It's only a book on a technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Sangre wrote:
    What about trees, plants and flowers? Did Noah have a garden on the Ark with Giant redwoods etc.,?

The existing trees, plants and flowers just floated around. When the waters went down, all the insects that were using the debris as homes ran away to explore their new world, and the same trees, plants and flowers, that are now on dry land, put down new roots.
    Its very simple really;)

Sangre wrote:

Hell, what about the fish? Did Noah have aquariums? For the sharks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Wicknight wrote:
    Hell, what about the fish? Did Noah have aquariums? For the sharks?

They, erm, floated on wood and, erm, steam from the global flood lead to, erm, fishination stock keeping, or something...

What about the fishermen back then? I presume some people were on boats at the time of the flood somewhere on the earth. Surely they didnt drown, surely they could feed themselves on the, erm, insects or whatever Noah fed him and his global collection of all flora and fauna on his vessel that was built by a single man. How come they (fishermen, sailors) didnt survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Forget the fish and the fishermen. What about the cetaceans?

They're mammals and they breathe....but they live in water.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

You dare call the DaVinci Code literature?!?!

It's only a book on a technicality.

I think it was Dawkins who said the main difference between the Davinci Code and the Bible is that one is very old fiction and one is relatively new fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Galvasean wrote:
    I think it was Dawkins who said the main difference between the Davinci Code and the Bible is that one is very old fiction and one is relatively new fiction.

No, now come on. At least the Bible is well-written, and not in the least bit clichéd.

And less than half of the Bible takes place in an art gallery bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Lets leave both the Bible, and the Davinci Code, out of this thread. There are far more interesting revelations yet to be revealed:).

*Or was that disproved, I can never remember...this thread would try the patience of a saint.*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Moosejam
    JC why does your sig say "Say but the words "I believe on Jesus Christ" and you WILL be saved" is that a typo or is it just the way they talked in the olden days, in sounds much better "I believe in Jesus Christ", I don't by the way

‘Believing on’ Jesus is the term used in the KJV. It encompasses both the idea of ‘believing in’ and ‘relying on’ Jesus to save you.

…and BTW Jesus Christ believes in YOU …..and wants to save YOU!!! :cool:

The Mad Hatter
    Er...you realise that if the temperature of the sea was one degree higher than it is now, then all plankton (the centre of the oceanological ecosystem) would die. Right?

Funny thing then, that the Antarctic Oceean is about zero Degrees Celsius and it is full of plankton, while tropical seas are about 30 Degrees and they are ALSO full of plankton…….it doesn’t sound like plankton is particularly sensitive to water temperature …..does it??:confused::D
    In any event, although there were extensive boiling 'hot spots' around volcanically active areas on the ocean floor, there was plenty of moderate temperature water available for the plankton to survive in!!!

The Mad Hatter
    you have shown a near-superhumanly level of creativity in your efforts to ignore the evidence.

That dubious honour rests fairly and squarely with the Evolutionists on this thread!!:eek:

Sev

But there are surely a vast number of different radioactive isotopes that can be used in different ways to measure the age of rocks in many different places all over the world as many times as you want, and they will always arrive at the same conclusion.

They are all based on the same inter-dependent and/or circular reasoning!!!

Radioactive dating of rocks doesn’t work in PRINCIPLE – because we cannot know what the starting levels of radioactivity were or if further radioactivity was added or taken away (for example, by the differential leaching of the radioactive chemicals such as Potassium) during the ‘life’ of the rock. It also doesn’t work in PRACTICE – because erroneous (very large) ages are routinely obtained from rocks of recent KNOWN ages.

Here is an example of where 187Re ions were found to decay at a rate amounting to a half-life of only 33 years.....which represents a staggering billion-fold increase over the conventional half-life, which is 42 BILLION years....WITHOUT alteration of the known physical constants...and via beta (negatron) decay!!!!:D
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v15/i2/acceleration.asp

Palaeontology shows the sequence in which creatures were killed and buried during Noah’s Flood – seafloor dwelling creatures and flocculated plankton first – all the way up to large land animals and birds, that obviously would be last to ‘succumb to the waves’. The extraction of red blood cells and haemoglobin from (unfossilized) dinosaur bone and the extraction of DNA fragments from insects trapped in supposedly multiple million year old amber indicates that these creatures were alive very recently indeed. If these bones / insects were, in fact, millions of years old, all biological material in them would have completely degenerated by now. The observed rates of biological degeneration under such conditions would give maximal ages of a few thousand years for these bones / insects.
    The list of species in the so-called Geological Column represents the order of their catastrophic burial and it is NOT a record of their supposed evolution.

Equally, using collections of animal and plant fossils to ‘date’ a rock on the basis of Evolutionary assumptions in relation to the assumed position of these creatures in the ‘Evolutionary Tree’ is only valid if Evolution (and its Tree) are scientifically valid. It is actually an example of circular reasoning in action.
    Strata, which hold the same collection of fossils, could indicate that these creatures were buried during the same stage of the Flood Event for a number of reasons including their physical location in the Biosphere or the place where they gathered together before being drowned. It could also be related to their size, shape or hydrodynamic characteristics.

...and you can read here about why radiometric 'dating' can provide useful geological maps of how rocks were laid down during the Flood, even if the 'age' of the rocks is itself actually wrong :-
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v24/i4/radiometric.asp

Equally, fossilized trees have been found recently in northeastern Hungary that are part of a supposed “eight-million-year-old swamp cypress forest.”
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/07/070731-fossilized-trees.html

National Geographic News describes the 16 trees as an “oddity” because “they did not petrify, or turn to stone, as preserved trees usually do [but instead,] retain[ed] their original wood.”

While National Geographic News did not publish the details on the find, the idea of eight-million-year-old wood certainly raises an eyebrow. In fact, the find reminds us of another “incredible” fossil find: the allegedly 65-million-year-old T. rex soft tissue found a few years back.:eek: :D
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2005/0325Dino_tissue.asp

Sev
    the earth is well older than 6000 years...

I have found that the claim that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old certainly gets peoples undivided attention......and petrified forests with intact wood (or T. Rex fossilis with intact blood cells) are much more likely to be 6,000 years old than they are to be 6,000,000 or indeed 60,000,000 years old (in the case of the T. Rex 'blood transfusion')!!!!:D

The 'Young Earth' dates also 'add up', when we consider how very SHORT the record of Human history on Earth actually IS!!!!:cool:

Sev
    any choice to disbelieve that requires a baffling neglect of the fundamental tenets of probability.

The people really ignoring ‘the fundamental tenets of probability’ are the Evolutionists…….who believe that life in all of it’s magnificent specified complexity arose spontaneously…..despite the fact that the odds of obtaining the sequence for JUST ONE specific essential 100 chain protein is 10^^130 to one…..and there are only 10^^80 electrons in the Known Universe!!.:D

Originally Posted by J C
    ……..and this produced much higher levels of rainfall than today, in places like the Sahara and the Middle East......which had a very positive effect on their agricultural productivity

Wicknight
    High rain fall destroys agriculture .. have you looked at the news recently?

Obviously, too much rain can be just as bad for farming, as a drought ……
    ….but please READ what I actually said…..that much higher levels of rainfall than TODAY, had a positive effect on agricultural productivity, in the (currently drought-prone) Sahara and the Middle East.:D

Wicknight
    All creatures (that includes insects by the way JC) except those on the Ark, were wiped out JC

I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish.

All life! Every creature JC! Fish, insects, mammals, bacteria, everything.

The only creatures that survive are on the Ark. Pure and simple. Nothing on the land survived.

Which of course brings up back to the 900,000 insect species ...

The statement by God that "I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth" clearly implies that the word "earth" means dry land in this instance......as 'bringing floodwaters forth under the sea' would be a meaningless statement!!!

In these passages God confirms that the flood waters that He unleashed upon the LAND, wiped out the following categories of LAND-BASED creatures outside of the Ark :-

“every creature that has the breath of life in it”….i.e. all land-based mammals and birds.

“the creatures that move along the ground” ……i.e. all land-based reptiles (and possible the non-flying insects).

Nothing is said about the fate of the aquatic creatures (including Fish, Amphibians and Cetaceans) or the flying insects or the plants.
    Although the mortality rate amongst all of these organisms probably varied, it was overall probably quite high (as evidenced by the fossil record, in particular for bottom dwelling sea creatures),……but they certainly weren’t all wiped out.

A plain reading of Scripture indicates that these organisms WEREN’T included in the 'living cargo' list of the Ark…..and therefore these categories of organism were also NOT included in the statement that all of the “men and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds of the air were wiped from the earth”.

The aquatic creatures certainly survived outside of the Ark and although we cannot be definitive about all of the insects and plants, they probably survived outside of it as well ……although some are likely to have also stowed away on the Ark!!!:)

......and BTW the 900,000 species of insect probably belong to less than 1,000 KINDS of insect!!

Wicknight
    what about the fish? Did Noah have aquariums? For the sharks?

Could I gently remind you that there wasn’t any shortage of water for the fishes, during the FLOOD!!!:D

Daithifleming
    What about the fishermen back then? I presume some people were on boats at the time of the flood somewhere on the earth. Surely they didn’t drown, ……… How come they (fishermen, sailors) didnt survive?

It is thought that there was a single land mass (called 'Rodinia') prior to the Flood (with the remainder of the Earth covered by sea)……….so there was no necessity for extensive sea travel prior to Noah’s Flood……..and Mankind didn't eat meat (or fish) until after the Flood......

....so few, if any, fishermen or sailors probably existed prior to the Flood…….

......and in any event, if any fishermen or sailors did exist, they would probably have confined themselves to very small ‘inshore’ craft - around the shores of 'Rodinia' - and these craft would have been swamped by the huge waves of the Flood processes!!!

The only sufficiently large ocean-going vessel, at the time, that was capable of surviving the Flood, was the Ark......and it's scale was unsurpassed in Europe until The Great Eastern Liner during the mid-nineteenth Century.:cool: :D

J C wrote:
    Nothing is said about the fate of the aquatic creatures (including Fish, Amphibians and Cetaceans) or the insects or the plants.

Actually it does JC

Every living creature that God made was destroyed. Every. Living. Creature.

As I keep reminding you JC, its your Bible. It says what it says. Every. Living. Creature.

Wicknight wrote:
    Actually it does JC

As I keep reminding you JC, its your Bible. It says what it says. Every. Living. Creature.
    Pft, insects aren't living creatures obviously

bluewolf wrote:
    Pft, insects aren't living creatures obviously

Nor fish...whales...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Wicknight

As I keep reminding you JC, its your Bible. It says what it says. Every. Living. Creature

Firstly, it isn’t MY Bible …….it is God’s Holy Word.

Secondly, a plain reading of the above verse (in the context of the rest of the Biblical account of the Genesis Flood) would indicate that it DIDN’T mean that ALL LIFE would be DESTROYED.
    God had ALREADY promised that Noah and every (land-based) creature on the Ark would SURVIVE.
    Equally, a flood WOULDN’T logically drown AQUATIC creatures……..and therefore God’s chosen punishment (of a Flood) de facto EXCLUDED all water-based creatures from it’s direct effects. :D

The mortality rate amongst aquatic organisms would have varied, but 'bottom dwelling' sea creatures probably fared worst from the ‘collateral damage’ of the Flood, such as being buried in shifting and settling sediments, for example.

A plain reading of Scripture indicates that aquatic creatures (including fish, Amphibians and Cetaceans) as well as insects and plants WEREN’T included in the 'living cargo' list of the Ark NOR were they therefore included in the Divine condemnation that all of the “men and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds of the air" were to be wiped from the earth.:cool:

The aquatic creatures certainly survived outside of the Ark and although we cannot be definitive about the survival locations of all of the insects and plants, they probably survived largely outside of the Ark as well ……but some may also have stowed away on the Ark!!! :D

Ark Almighty!!!
    I went along to see ‘Evan Almighty’ the other night, and I was quite impressed by this film.
    It is a thoroughly enjoyable movie and I would recommend it as one of the best (and funniest) movies that I have seen on a ‘Creationist Theme’.

As usual, Morgan Freeman was outstanding, as only Morgan can be!!!

The movie ISN’T an account of the actual Flood ………it is set in the modern world, and considerable ‘artistic licence’ is used in the film, but that is how showbusiness works, after all!!

There were a few theological issues in the movie with which I wouldn't agree.......but all in all, it was quite respectful of the Creationist position.

I won’t spoil the movie for anybody who hasn’t seen it yet, by commenting further on the storyline…….except to say that ALL of this thread's participants would probably benefit from seeing it....

.....and I would suggest that they should also follow Evan Almighty's example.....and buy an 'Ark Building for Dummies' book........and read it, before asking any more questions about the Flood or the Ark, on this thread!!!:D

......and BTW, I particularly liked the 'Eleventh Commandment' that "Thou shalt do the dance"!!!!!:D

......most of the time we all take ourselves far too seriously!!!!:D

J C wrote:
    Firstly, it isn’t MY Bible …….it is God’s Holy Word.
    So you calling God a liar?
    J C wrote:
    Secondly, a plain reading of the above verse (in the context of the rest of the Biblical account of the Genesis Flood) would indicate that it DIDN’T mean that ALL LIFE would be DESTROYED.
    Yes, because "wipe from the surface of the Earth" generally means "I'll let some of them live"
    J C wrote:
    God had ALREADY promised that Noah and every (land-based) creature on the Ark would SURVIVE.
    God had ALREADY promised Noah that the only living creatures on the Earth that would survive would be those inside the Ark.

Gensis 6:17

Gensis 7:21
    Every living thing that moved on the earth perished—birds, livestock, wild animals, all the creatures that swarm over the earth, and all mankind.
    J C wrote:
    Equally, a flood WOULDN’T logically drown AQUATIC creatures……..and therefore God’s chosen punishment (of a Flood) de facto EXCLUDED all water-based creatures from it’s direct effects. :D

You seem to be slightly missing the point of the Flood JC. It was, in Gods own words, to wipe from the surface of the Earth every living creature.

Everything not in the Ark died. Everything. How God killed the fish isn't really important. Everything died.
    J C wrote:
    The mortality rate amongst aquatic organisms would have varied
    The mortality rate amongst aquatic organisms was 100%, because that was the purpose of the Flood. The only animals that survived where in the Ark.

Or are you claiming God is a liar? That when he says he means to kill all live he is just joking or messing around?
    J C wrote:
    A plain reading of Scripture indicates that aquatic creatures (including fish, Amphibians and Cetaceans) as well as insects and plants WEREN’T included in the 'living cargo' list of the Ark NOR were they therefore included in the Divine condemnation that all of the “men and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds of the air" were to be wiped from the earth.:cool:

Please "plain read" this JC - :rolleyes:

Gen 7:23

The only creatures alive, according to the story, on earth after the flood were Noah and those in the Ark.
    J C wrote:
    The aquatic creatures certainly survived outside of the Ark
    Not according to your Bible.

I mean if you want to ignore what the Bible says then go ahead, but one wonders what the point of any of this actually is if you aren't taking the Bible itself literally. The Bible says, very clearly, that all life not in the Ark was wiped out. Everything not in the Ark died. No fish in the sea, no insects floating on the trees. Nothing survived outside the Ark. End of story
    J C wrote:
    and although we cannot be definitive about the survival locations of all of the insects and plants, they probably survived largely outside of the Ark as well

Accept they didn't because the Bible clearly states that all live was wiped out. Insects are life (land life at that).

Wicknight wrote:
    You seem to be slightly missing the point of the Flood JC. It was, in Gods own words, to wipe from the surface of the Earth every living creature.

Everything not in the Ark died. Everything. How God killed the fish isn't really important. Everything died.

The mortality rate amongst aquatic organisms was 100%, because that was the purpose of the Flood. The only animals that survived where in the Ark.

Or are you claiming God is a liar? That when he says he means to kill all live he is just joking or messing around?

JC is also conveniently ignoring the issue of marine fossils - of which there are many many more than there are terrestrial fossils. If fossils are the remains of the animals that died in the Flood, then we have incontrovertible evidence that marine creatures died in the Flood.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Scofflaw wrote:
    JC is also conveniently ignoring the issue of marine fossils - of which there are many many more than there are terrestrial fossils. If fossils are the remains of the animals that died in the Flood, then we have incontrovertible evidence that marine creatures died in the Flood.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Those poor trilobites ... what did they do? :(

Wicknight
    So you calling God a liar?

No……..but you seem to not be able to understand that a plain reading of Scripture requires it to be read within context and with the appliance of logic !!!!!!!!!:eek:

Originally Posted by J C
    Secondly, a plain reading of the above verse (in the context of the rest of the Biblical account of the Genesis Flood) would indicate that it DIDN’T mean that ALL LIFE would be DESTROYED

Wicknight
    Yes, because "wipe from the surface of the Earth" generally means "I'll let some of them live"

“Wipe from the surface of the Earth" in this context, means to destroy all LAND-BASED creatures except those on the Ark.

We are ALREADY AGREED that it isn’t ALL life …….because it EXCLUDES all of the creatures on the Ark…..and it also excludes all plants and aquatic life as well!!!:D

Wicknight
    God had ALREADY promised Noah that the only living creatures on the Earth that would survive would be those inside the Ark.

Genesis 7:21
    Every living thing that moved on the earth perished—birds, livestock, wild animals, all the creatures that swarm over the earth, and all mankind

No mention of plants or WATER-BASED creatures in that list…………that I can see!!! :)

…..it is quite clear that God is confining His comments to the members of the Animal Kingdom that inhabit 'dry land' in these passages…….and the word ‘earth’ therefore means ‘dry land’…..in these verses…….

The statement by God that "I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth" clearly implies that the word ‘earth’ means ‘dry land’ in this instance......as 'bringing floodwaters forth under the sea' would be a meaningless action!!!:eek:

Equally, a flood WOULDN’T logically drown AQUATIC creatures……..and therefore God’s chosen punishment (of a Flood) de facto EXCLUDED all water-based creatures from it’s direct effects.......but not it's indirect effects......as the profusion of marine fossils prove!!!:cool:

Wicknight
    Please "plain read" this JC -

Gen 7:23

The only creatures alive, according to the story, on earth after the flood were Noah and those in the Ark.

Great to see an Atheist advocating a PLAIN reading of Scripture!!!:eek:

Anyway, a plain reading of Scripture would indicate that all LAND-BASED animals (except those in the Ark) were wiped out…….and "the face of the earth" referred to in this passage is clearly the DRY LAND surface of the Earth ……and NOT the "face of it's WATERS"!!!!:D

Wicknight
    I mean if you want to ignore what the Bible says then go ahead, but one wonders what the point of any of this actually is if you aren't taking the Bible itself literally. The Bible says, very clearly, that all life not in the Ark was wiped out. Everything not in the Ark died. No fish in the sea, no insects floating on the trees. Nothing survived outside the Ark. End of story

Now here is an irony of all ironies……an Atheist criticising a Creationist for NOT taking each word in the Bible literally!!!!:eek: :D
    ....are you some kind of 'closet' Bible Fundamentalist or something, Wicknight???

I have told you before that Creationists generally AREN’T Bible literalists……. but 'by the sound of things' some Atheists ARE !!!!:D
    Creationists tend to support the PLAIN reading of Scripture – interpreting it literally when the passages describe obvious literal or historical events and allegorically when metaphors are being clearly deployed……and within context when the context demands!!!:D

Could I ask you for the Chapter and Verse where the Bible says that there were “no fish in the sea and no insects floating on the trees” after the Flood????

Scofflaw

I have already said that “The mortality rate amongst aquatic organisms would have varied, but 'bottom dwelling' sea creatures probably fared worst from the ‘collateral damage’ of the Flood, such as being buried in shifting and settling sediments, for example.”

We probably have more marine fossils from the time of the Flood than terrestrial fossils………but this reflects the greater ease with which marine creatures could be entombed in sediment during the Flood processes……..i.e. most of the ‘terrestrial dead’ just floated away on the surface of the waters and were ‘recycled’ by various saprophytes…..!!!!

…you’re also conveniently ignoring my new radiometric dating evidence…….
    .......and I’m also waiting in unbridled anticipation for Son Goku to provide some more obtuse mathematics…….that provides further ‘proof’ that 'Early Man' practiced (almost) perpetual virginity!!!!:eek: :D

• Advertisement

pH wrote:
    Those poor trilobites ... what did they do? :(

They were simply 'in the wrong place at the wrong time'........

........as 'bottom dwelling low-mobility' sea creatures, they fared worst from the ‘collateral damage’ of the Flood, by being buried in the settling sediments that the Flood process created all over the Earth.......and which rapidly 'set' to form Sedimentary Rocks!!!:D ;)

I am looking at five beautiful Trilobites fossils as I write this......they are fully 3D and even their eyes are perfectly preserved!!!!:D
    They were obviously overwhelmed and rapidly smothered by gently falling sediment .......and no great pressures were applied from above during the lithification process!!!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement