Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

man i feel sorry for all those creationist scientists. i actually believe superman existing is more plausible than noah and the flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

bogwalrus wrote: »
    i actually believe superman existing is more plausible than noah and the flood.

I used to have some kryptonite but it was stolen from me by Lex Luther just as I was writing about it in my diary. You can't prove I didn't have it, plus it's written down so it can't possibly be something I made up. Your best bet is to just believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

robindch wrote: »
    I'm sorry to read that your mum has died and I pass my sincere condolences to you, your family and friends.

My condolences also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Hot Dog wrote: »
    To ne honest, I am no stranger to debating creationists, its obvious that JC is making this up as he goes along. The real reason i posted at all was to see if I could still recall and understand various bits of geology having left college 9 months ago. I feel that if i can argue it, I still understand it. It was a bit of practice.

Wait until you've been 18 years out...the Creationists have been a great help, I have to say. Without them, the details of radiometric dating would have passed unnoticed from my mind.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Hot Dog

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Wait until you've been 18 years out...the Creationists have been a great help, I have to say. Without them, the details of radiometric dating would have passed unnoticed from my mind.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Thank god for creationists, it reminds us geologists that we can never be so bad that we cannot be worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

An article from this week's Science. It's about a former creation scientist, specializing in Geology, that eventually had to reject a literal interpretation of the Bible and briefly describes his reasons for doing so. Interesting stuff.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/319/5866/1034

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

2Scoops wrote: »
    An article from this week's Science
    ...is there a free version of this article available anywhere?

...is there a free version of this article available anywhere?

It's not free?? I must have a site license from this location. I can post the text if Mods are ok with it? robindch, I'll PM you the text directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Sincere condolences Wolsbane. It's never easy to lose anyone and possibly a mother most of all. My thoughts are with you.

It's not free?? I must have a site license from this location. I can post the text if Mods are ok with it? robindch, I'll PM you the text directly.

I too would like a read of this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Post it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

but there is no way that the flood is a literally true story. There is no evidence for a global flood in the last few thousand years. There was however a localised flood in the black sea area.

I too would like a read of this
    Post it up!

Hmm, well I think there might be a copyright issue now. I always thought that Science was public domain, living as I do in this Ivory Tower with access to almost everything. :D Unless I get the specific go-ahead from the mods, I'd rather not get anyone in trouble, least of all myself!

As a concession, here are a few excerpts that get across the gist of the thing:
    SOLOMONS, MARYLAND--On a clear January day, Stephen Godfrey is dressed for fossil-hunting: frayed baggy jeans, a puffy green vest, and a leather jacket that's seen better times. A paleontologist and curator at the modest Calvert Marine Museum here, Godfrey frequents the nearby Calvert Cliffs, which rise from the shoreline of Chesapeake Bay and hold everything from ancient shark teeth to dolphin skulls. "You start collecting them because, well, they're beautiful," he says of his beloved fossils.

It was the study of fossils that, 25 years ago, set Godfrey on an anguished path. Raised in a fundamentalist Christian family in Quebec, Canada, embracing a 6000-year-old Earth where Noah's flood laid down every fossil, Godfrey began probing the underpinnings of creationism in graduate school. The inconsistencies he found led step by step, over many years, to a staunch acceptance of evolution. With this shift came rejection from his religious community, estrangement from his parents, and, perhaps most difficult of all, a crisis of faith that endures.

Now 48, Godfrey came of age after young-Earth creationism took hold in North America in the early 1960s. Its leaders argued that during the previous 150 years, Bible-believing Christians had gone too far in accommodating science in their interpretation of scripture and pushed for a literal reading of the Bible, says Ronald Numbers, a historian of science at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Fossils, for example, are the remains of plants and animals left out of Noah's ark. The description of Adam and Eve in Genesis suggests that humans had never been subject to evolution. Using calculations drawn from genealogy, young-Earth creationists consider the planet to be 6000 to 10,000 years old. (Geologists say it is about 4.5 billion years old.)

Godfrey, who subscribed wholeheartedly to these views, vividly recalls his earliest encounter with evolution. In the first grade, when he was about 6 years old, a student teacher said that apes were the ancestors of people. "I remember having this visceral reaction … and saying, 'No, that can't be.' " Around the dinner table that night, his family discussed the experience, concluding that the teacher must have been mistaken. "It couldn't be true because apes aren't evolving into humans today; they're apes," Godfrey remembers. And that was that.

Although creationism might seem bizarre to individuals who have never believed in it, for those who do, its power is almost beyond words. Alters remembers, as a young teenager, sitting in on a sermon by Robert Schuller, a televangelist whose California church is fairly liberal. Listening to Schuller endorse the views of scientists who consider rocks to be millions of years old, Alters began to cry, horrified that the preacher would lie. "It was almost as if he stood there and said Jesus Christ didn't exist," he recalls. For biblical literalists, belief is generally an all-or-nothing proposition.

Godfrey entered college convinced that scientists were engaged in a vast conspiracy to promote evolution. At Bishop's University in Sherbrooke, Quebec, he majored in biology and lived at home, several kilometers away. In one sense, his studies had little effect on his faith. "You can learn facts, and you can do really well on exams and not believe" what you're learning, he says. But then, his classes also raised niggling questions that biblical literalism could not easily answer.

For example, there was the quandary of death. A literal reading of Genesis indicates that no animals perished before Adam and Eve ate the fateful apple--in other words, that there were no carnivores preying on other animals. But in his biology classes, Godfrey learned of predators perfectly framed to kill: cats with stereoscopic vision, enlarged canines, and claws; spiders that weave webs as traps; and sharks that replace serrated teeth throughout their life. "They're not eating seaweed," says Godfrey, who puzzled over how these animals had emerged if God hadn't intended them to prey on others. "That was the first thing at university that really started to disturb me," he says.

Then Godfrey's world came crashing down.

His first summer in graduate school, he was invited to join a field expedition in rural Kansas, where University of Toronto paleontologist Robert Reisz and some students were digging for pelycosaurs, 300-million-year-old animals that display some features of mammals that evolved later. Living in tents on a farmer's field in searing heat and humidity and surrounded by cows, the group visited the nearest town, Garnett, weekly for food and other supplies. At night, the sky glowed with stars, and Godfrey pointed out the constellations to his companions.

By day, quarrying through thin layers of rock, "we started to come across footprints of terrestrial animals," says Godfrey. "You can't imagine a global flood and animals finding ground to make footprints on. … That, more than anything, any other experience in my life, really shook me to the core." Godfrey agonized about where these footprints might have come from. Some creationists argue for floating mats of vegetation during the flood, but Godfrey found that unconvincing.

"He was one of the brightest students that I'd ever seen," says Reisz, who at the time knew that Godfrey was a devout Christian but had no idea of the crisis triggered by his fieldwork. "The ease with which he learned, the ease with which he accumulated new ideas, … all spoke to a superior intelligence."

Godfrey held out from embracing evolution, however, until after moving in 1989 to Drumheller, Alberta, dubbed the "dinosaur capital of the world" because of its diversity of fossils. Godfrey often drove southeast to Dinosaur Provincial Park, passing through a landscape of sediments laid atop one another: deposits from freshwater and terrestrial environments in one, marine organisms and mollusks in another, and a third that mimicked the first, a mix of fossils from fresh water and land. "These animals were living here in this same place, but they couldn't have all been there at the same time," he says, a fact that was irreconcilable with flood geology. It was then that "the rest of the young-Earth creationist ideas kind of exploded."

There's a bit more to the story than that. It's actually a little sad how much it affected his relationships with other family members.:( He still believes in God but has doubts like anyone else. The piece ends with him wondering if and how he should influence his children's beliefs...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

I'm sorry to read that your mum has died and I pass my sincere condolences to you, your family and friends. But I am happy to hear that you were with her in her final hours -- I can't think of any more decent, indeed warmly human, way for your or anybody's mother to be honored.

Thank you, Robin, and all who expressed your condolences. Yes, it is a privilege many do not get, to comfort and be comforted by our loved ones as they prepare for death. No day can be taken for granted; every goodbye may be the last, so we ought to love one another utterly when we can.

The family gathering and funeral went well. The service was preached by the brother who had visited Mum over the past few years, and I spoke at the graveside.

Mum came to faith very late in life, so I used Matthew 20:1-16 to bring the message that salvation is of grace not works (all receive the same), and God's call - ‘Why have you been standing here idle all day?’...‘You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right you will receive.’

Back with you soon, DV.

On the contrary, their scientific argument is not being suppressed at all. They do not have a scientific argument, only a philosophical one. A fact that has been explained exhaustively to you and others.

LOL @ using Ben Stein's awful, less than honest movie (I have watched it) to support your point. :)
    This is the difference in our perception then: Creationists with advanced degrees in their scientific field put forward technical explanations and arguments in those fields and you say they are only philosophical.

I can understand you arguing that they are defective science, erroneous scientific conclusions, etc. But philosophical? To me, that smacks of a neat means of censorship. And I provided evidence before that just such dishonest treatment is used against other non-conformist scientists, secular scientists who have no connection to Creationism.

Why the fear?

wolfsbane wrote: »
    This is the difference in our perception then: Creationists with advanced degrees in their scientific field put forward technical explanations and arguments in those fields and you say they are only philosophical.

The difference is in our perception. My perception is that these people, albeit with advanced degrees (which don't make you smart btw!), have failed to put forward technical explanations and arguments to support their position. And even the most damning indictments of evolution can never hope to point to the existance of an 'intelligent designer' - that is why it is philosophy and not science.

wolfsbane wrote:
    I can understand you arguing that they are defective science, erroneous scientific conclusions, etc. But philosophical? To me, that smacks of a neat means of censorship.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make here.

wolfsbane wrote:
    And I provided evidence before that just such dishonest treatment is used against other non-conformist scientists, secular scientists who have no connection to Creationism.

Bad science and bad scientists are easily seen through. You have provided no evidence of anything other than that.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Why the fear?

I'm not afraid of anything.... except the Guidestones...:eek::eek::eek:

2Scoops said:
    The difference is in our perception. My perception is that these people, albeit with advanced degrees (which don't make you smart btw!), have failed to put forward technical explanations and arguments to support their position.
    These are not technical explanations and arguments? -
    http://www.icr.org/research/index/researchp_papers/
    even the most damning indictments of evolution can never hope to point to the existance of an 'intelligent designer'
    Why not? If it can be shown that natural processes cannot realistically account for the incredible specified complexity we observe, then the idea of a Designer must be unavoidable.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    I can understand you arguing that they are defective science, erroneous scientific conclusions, etc. But philosophical? To me, that smacks of a neat means of censorship.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make here.
    Say you graduated with a PhD in Biblical Theology and wished to deny the Creation account as history. And I refused to admit you to a theological discussion on the basis that your arguments are not theology, but scientific speculation.

If you advanced scientific theory as your case, I would have a point. But if you were advancing linguistic and hermeneutical arguments I would be guilty of censorship. Just because I regard your theological arguments as flawed - or even ridiculous - I cannot honestly claim they are not theological.

These are not technical explanations and arguments? -
    http://www.icr.org/research/index/researchp_papers/

Well, they certainly look technical...
    Why not? If it can be shown that natural processes cannot realistically account for the incredible specified complexity we observe, then the idea of a Designer must be unavoidable.

Not really. Dead ends can and do exist. Complexity does not unavoidably mean design or a designer. These people should demonstrate evidence that things are designed , not just that they are complex.
    Say you graduated with a PhD in Biblical Theology and wished to deny the Creation account as history. And I refused to admit you to a theological discussion on the basis that your arguments are not theology, but scientific speculation.

If you advanced scientific theory as your case, I would have a point. But if you were advancing linguistic and hermeneutical arguments I would be guilty of censorship. Just because I regard your theological arguments as flawed - or even ridiculous - I cannot honestly claim they are not theological.

Ok I understand your point now. But, if your argument is not evidence-based, or if your data is not collected properly, or your conclusions are unreasonable, I can claim that it is not science. I censor no one. Creationists are welcome to attempt to publish their work anywhere they wish - but if their science is bad, it's bad. Furthermore, the truth is, creationists are not submitting original investigations to journals, so there is never any opportunity for them to be censored in the first place.

And when you submit anything, you always get constructive comments back and an opportunity to reply. Why don't creationists show us these comments and retort with convincing replies?? Surely the public display of these comments would show everyone that the Big Science is unfairly censoring them. Why the fear? Let's see these comments and judge for ourselves!!

wolfsbane wrote:
    Not really. Dead ends can and do exist. Complexity does not unavoidably mean design or a designer. These people should demonstrate evidence that things are designed , not just that they are complex.

It's a solid point - mere complexity is not evidence of design. Further, one could knock out the Theory of Evolution and replace it with another naturalistic theory, so however many holes you find in evolution, that doesn't prove a designer either.

It's been pointed out many many times on this thread that the Christian Creation/Evolution is a false dichotomy, not merely because there are other possible naturalistic theories, but because there thousands upon thousands of Creation accounts.

Even if, say, one successfully proved a global flood, and that the Earth was only 6000-10000 years old, you've still got several dozen Creation accounts that fit that - Greek myth, for example, or one of umpteen Middle Eastern or Native American Creation myths.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Eschatologist

I took a look at some of those papers on that Institute of Creation Research Institute site. One caught my eye: THE RELEVANCE OF Rb-Sr, Sm-Nd AND Pb-Pb ISOTOPE SYSTEMATICS TO ELUCIDATION OF THE GENESIS AND HISTORY OF RECENT ANDESITE FLOWS AT MT NGAURUHO.

Very interesting. So dating andesites, because they contain a crustal component, proves the Earth is young? True, andesites are often formed from magmas generated at active oceanic margins by incorporating part of the recycled crust from the wedge into the parent melt, and dating of such rocks can yield young ages. But it depends on what you are dating. A scientist needs to distinguish between early-formed crystals (in the basaltic melt, eg. titanite, zircon, baddeleyite, pyroxenes to name a few, which yield the real formation age) and later-former crystals (from the crustal component, the minerals stable at lower temperatures, eg. quartz, albite etc.). The authors of this paper conveniently forgot to mention fractional crystallisation - even an andesite with a young crustal component incorporated later will have older evolved minerals from the parent magma.

Besides, dates obtained from rocks don't always reflect the formation age of the rock nor do geologists pretend otherwise - sometimes it is helpful to date the peak metamorphic conditions, backed up theoretically and experimentally from certain mineral assemblages which always occur together.

The paper also mentions that radioisotopes do not always provide reliable age measurements when it comes to dating volcanics (quick reminder: JC, granite is not volcanic, it is hypabyssal). Again this depends on what isotopes you have chosen to use. As has been well-documented, and no scientist is denying it, some isotopes give very old age estimates; case in point, the potassium-argon method which is useful for dating volcanics because the minerals present in many volcanic rocks usually contain those two elements (commonly biotite and hornblende).

But it has been shown that in phenocrysts in xenoliths from Hawaiian volcanics for example, the minerals chosen for dating often contain tiny fluid inclusions with contain argon formed at depth and which is therefore is much older. This can give false age determinations (Funkhauser, Barnes & Noughton, 1965). This was known in the sixties. Again the proponents of young-Earth authors also conveniently left out that the K-Ar dating method is not often used, if it can be helped, as it is as it can be unreliable. However, if the phenocryts are crushed before dating methods are employed the excess argon is released, so the technique is still viable.

Just one more bone (or fossil even!) to pick for tonight - given the great diversity in geological features today, how does 'flood geology' (two words combined which don't make sense to me) account for all of that? It's interesting to note that the top of the Himalaya is composed of marine limestone. How on Earth did it get up there!?! I would love to hear the young-Earth version of the Himalaya story, and any rigorously scientific models to account for, as Hot Dog eloquently stated in an earlier post, the juxtaposition of wind-blown deposits (Old Red Sandstone count for anything?) with deep sea deposits? Shallow water coral reefs? Littoral deposits? Braided river sediments?

Ooh let me guess - underwater rivers! Oh wait, that only (confusingly and illogically) explains one tiny aspect of the literally hundreds of thousands of examples of geological deposit...

• Advertisement

strangely quiet from the creos these last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Killbot2000

How come The Flood did not produce hydrological sorting with the heaviest material at the bottom of the geological strata and the lightest at the top?

In terms of biology and the fossil record many lineages seem to obey Cope's Law, with lineages increasing in size through time, consequently the largest animals of a given lineage appear higher up in the strata than their smaller ancestors. This is completely at odds with the predictions of a global flood.

Uh oh, does that mean it never happened!

Be careful what you wish for... :)

The creationist modus operandi:
    1. Ctrl + C
    2. Ctrl + V
    3. Wait (X - you are here)
    4. Repeat Steps 1-3

Usually I fill in for them, but I'm busy...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

what do the creationists have to say about neanderthals ?

Have any creationists on this thread ever heard of the Jack Hills zircons?

Have any creationists on this thread heard of the Jack Hills zircons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

This is quite a drubbing. I almost feel sorry for JC... almost.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    It's a solid point - mere complexity is not evidence of design. Further, one could knock out the Theory of Evolution and replace it with another naturalistic theory, so however many holes you find in evolution, that doesn't prove a designer either.

It's been pointed out many many times on this thread that the Christian Creation/Evolution is a false dichotomy, not merely because there are other possible naturalistic theories, but because there thousands upon thousands of Creation accounts.

Even if, say, one successfully proved a global flood, and that the Earth was only 6000-10000 years old, you've still got several dozen Creation accounts that fit that - Greek myth, for example, or one of umpteen Middle Eastern or Native American Creation myths.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    I've no problem with that. The Science aspect of Creationism can never prove the God of the Bible is true - only God by His Spirit can effect that. Science can only show that the Biblical account is consistent with the physical evidence. Other religions - like Islam - may likewise be kept in the frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Science can only show that the Biblical account is consistent with the physical evidence.

No....science can also show that the biblical account is inconsistent with the physical evidence. You just don't accept it when it does so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement