Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

sdep wrote: »
    One system I find particularly interesting is the human MHC, a family of cell-surface receptors involved in the immune system. MHC receptors lock onto pieces of invading pathogens and present them to cells of the immune system, helping promote an immune response. Humans have a number of different MHC genes, and each has up to hundreds of widely divergent functional alleles.

The Major Histocompatibility Complex is indeed a remarkable phenomenon .......in immunology......

.........and MHC also supports the Creationist contention of pre-designed, pre-programmed genetic diversity generation via strictly 'ordered recombination'........rather than the Evolutionist 'random mutagenesis' hypothesis for the origin of the genetic diversity which we observe in the biosphere........

......it also accounts for the rapid speciation that probably occurred within Kinds after the Flood!!!!

.....and here are two very intersting papers on the topic:-

http://www.creationontheweb.com/content/view/1576

http://www.nwcreation.net/articles/recombinationreview.html

I recently attended a very interesting lecture given by Prof. Simon Conway Morris, Professor of Evolutionary Palaeobiology in Cambridge University.
    Prof. Conway Morris claims to be an Old Earth, Darwinian Evolutionist who is a member of the Church of England.
    He has concluded that life could not develop via random mutagenesis......even with NS 'controling' the process.....because the useless random combinatorial space surrounding biomolecules is simply so great that it would overwhelm any selection process.......and therefore the evolution of life (and Human Beings EXACTLY like us) was predestined by a 'Great Mind' from the very start......and Evolution therefore proceeds along limited, tightly specified, 'paths'.....which were pre-determined by this 'Great Mind'.

Prof Conway Morris cites the apparent 'independent development' of up to 20 different eyes in different creatures, when the odds of spontaneously developing even one eye design are statisitically impossible.......and such multiple 'independent development' of functional biological structures is widespread within nature.
    Prof Conway Morris attributes this 'independent development' to Evolutionary Convergence along pre-determined bio-chemical pathways that he says could only have been put there, in the first place, by a 'Great Mind' or God.

He describes Evolution as "showing an eerie predictability leading to the direct contradiction of the currently accepted wisdom that insists on evolution being governed by the contingencies of circumstance (or suitability to environment)".
    He believes that "there is evidence for fundamental equivalences of sensory perception and the implication that deeper in the nervous system there is only one mentality (and therefore) Minds may be not only universal, but also the same."

I believe that Parallell Creation using a common design, explains the occurrence of similar eye designs in 'evolutionarily unrelated' creatures......and the 'Great Mind' didn't merely set up pre-determined bio-chemical pathways along which evolution occurred.......He created the the common ancestors of the creatures themselves AS WELL!!!!:D

.......and although our minds are created in the image and likeness of God........ they are discrete, separate, independent and accountable entities.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Bishop of Oxford refutes literalist interpretation of the bible. (First 3mins)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ0WinCWtLs

Is this guy not a true christian? You lot seem awfully confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

Thanks for the replies.
    wolfsbane wrote: »
    Beyond my competence, but here are a couple of sites that should provide answers:
    Does gene duplication provide the engine for evolution?, by Jerry Bergman, PhD.
    http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/5477

MHC search:
    http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com/u/creationontheweb?q=mhc&hl=en&lr=

The first (gene duplication) ref can be set aside as it doesn't relate to the existence within a single gene of allelic lineages that cross the human, chimp, gorilla, orang and other primate species boundaries.

I had a brief look at the top link on the second (Google search) URL and found some handwaving that attempts to divert attention and at least one major false interpretation of a primary research paper, but nothing that addressed the main issue. I stopped my trawl through the Google results after that.
    J C wrote: »
    The Major Histocompatibility Complex is indeed a remarkable phenomenon .......in immunology......

.........and MHC also supports the Creationist contention of pre-designed, pre-programmed genetic diversity generation.....rather than the Evolutionist random mutagenesis hypothesis for the origin of the genetic diversity which we observe in the biosphere........

......it also accounts for the rapid speciation that probably occurred within Kinds after the Flood!!!!

That doesn't even rise to the standard of handwaving, I'm afraid. It's just a cluster of vague and unsubstantiated claims.

Neither of which actually mentions my question: how can the MHC receptor genes show patterns of DNA diversity that repeatedly transcend the species barrier?

I'd summarise the current evolutionary consensus view as being that, while most diversity at MHC receptor genes in chimps and humans has been generated in the last couple of hundred thousand years within the ancient allele lineages, still the lineages are indeed so old as to pre-date the divergence of great apes, including us. Common ancestry is thus the answer.

how can the MHC receptor genes show patterns of DNA diversity that repeatedly transcend the species barrier?

Common parallell Creation is a much more powerful explantion for this amazing genetic phenomenon ......which contadict both Evolutionary Convergence .....and Divergence!!!!!:eek::D

......see my Post above for the views of Professor Conway Morris on the objectively verifiable requirement for a 'Great Mind' ultimately controlling 'Evolution'......(or producing Creation, as I would argue)!!!:eek::)

He may be a friend of Professor Simon Conway Morris......he seems to share his views on interpreting Scripture!!!!D

• Advertisement

He may be a friend of Professor Simon Conway Morris......he seems to share his views on interpreting Scripture!!!!:D

Yet he was also referring to a universe that makes itself, in otherwords the big bang, etc. I have no problem with this bishops views, because they seemed to be grounded in sanity. I am perfectly willing to accept the possibility that god was behind the big bang (though i don't believe that). But the hypotheses that you are wolfy suggest (literal interpretations) are simply not true, they have been shown to be impossible. Its time you woke up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Beyond my competence, but here are a couple of sites that should provide answers:
    Does gene duplication provide the engine for evolution?, by Jerry Bergman, PhD.
    http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/5477

MHC search:
    http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com/u/creationontheweb?q=mhc&hl=en&lr=

If you don't understand thsoe articles and the rest of us are telling you that they don't answer the question, why do you assume it does?

Yet he was also referring to a universe that makes itself, in otherwords the big bang, etc.

IF the Universe made itself .....and IF life then spontaneously emerged......then we should all just go and 'live life to the max' while we can.....because we will be dead for a long, long time!!!!!:D

.....amd that is what is actually what many people are doing today.:eek:

IF the Universe made itself .....and IF life then spontaneously emerged...then we owe God NOTHING......and even IF He exists, He obviously wouldn't care for us, any more than a piece of rock or a bucket of water......!!!!!:D

IF the Universe made itself .....and IF life then spontaneously emerged...then the only entity we possibly owe any allegiance to is the Universe and the material World on which we live......welcome to Materialism Daithi !!!!!:)

HOWEVER, all of the evidence indicates that the Universe DIDN'T make itself......and life DIDN'T spontaneously emerge.....so we DO owe our existence to an omnipotent Creator God who loves us so much that He died to save us ......and all that He asks of us, is that we repent from offending Him and believe on Him!!!! :cool:
    I have no problem with this bishops views, because they seemed to be grounded in sanity. I am perfectly willing to accept the possibility that god was behind the big bang (though i don't believe that). But the hypotheses that you are wolfy suggest (literal interpretations) are simply not true, they have been shown to be impossible. Its time you woke up.

The creation of the Universe and God himself are not repeatably observable. However, strong CIRCUMSTANTIAL EVIDENCE does exist for both God and Creation – and strong circumstantial evidence IS acceptable in a Court of Law where it has a STATUS OF PROOF approaching scientific and eyewitness evidence.

In any event, here are some of the basic Circumstantial Proofs for the existence of God :-

1. The fact that all ‘effects’ are observed to have a ‘cause’ of an equivalent magnitude means that the ‘biggest effect of all’ (the creation of all matter, time and space) must also have an equally big ‘cause’ and only God is capable of being this ‘Ultimate Cause’.
    2. The fact that all processes in the Universe work like clockwork, and precision machines are invariably observed to have an intelligent maker means that there is a ‘clockmaker of the Universe’ – and He is God.
    3. The fact that all energy in the Universe is ‘winding down’ means that some all-powerful ‘entity’ must have ‘wound it up’ – again the only possible solution is an all-powerful God acting outside of the physical laws of the Universe.
    4. The fact that life shows massive amounts of purposeful information and information is invariably observed to ultimately have an intelligent source proves that a massive intelligence aka God created it.
    5. The fact that all mutations are observed to be 'information losing' phenomena means that mutation doesn't provide any mechanism for increasing genetic information in living organisms indicates. This indicates that all of life was created with the same or more genetic information potential than it now possesses.
    6. Because it has been mathematically proven that undirected processes cannot produce the precise bio-molecules required for life only God could do that.
    7. The fact that life has never been observed to arise spontaneously means that it must have been created and the only plausible ‘Creator’ is God

Each science discipline provides incontrovertible evidence for Creation as follows:-

1. Geology shows that all fossils are less than c. 7,000 years old with the vast majority of fossils dating from Noah’s Flood 5,000 +/- 500 years ago. The assumption that the millions of so-called “annual micro layers” observed in deep sedimentary rock layers such as the Grand Canyon represented millions of years of sedimentary deposition was disproved during the Mount St Helens volcanic eruption in 1980 when hundreds of thousands of “micro layers” were observed to be laid down in newly formed sedimentary rocks in a matter of hours.
    Equally, polystrate tree fossils are observed ‘standing up through’ sedimentary rock layers that supposedly took millions of years to lay down – the logical conclusion is that that these layers were laid down rapidly and not over millions of years. It is ridiculous to postulate that a dead tree stood upright for millions of years while slow deposition of sediment gradually buried it. The fact that the ‘bottom’ of the fossilised tree is observed to be as well preserved as the ‘top’ is also a ‘bit of a giveaway’ that very rapid burial took place. Deep sedimentary rock layers therefore do not indicate ‘long ages’ – only a catastrophic worldwide disaster!!!!

Radioactive dating of rocks doesn’t work in PRINCIPLE – because we cannot know what the starting levels of radioactivity were or if further radioactivity was added or taken away (for example, by the differential leaching of the radioactive chemicals such as Potassium) during the ‘life’ of the rock. It also doesn’t work in PRACTICE – because erroneous (very large) ages are routinely obtained from rocks of recent KNOWN ages.

2. Palaeontology shows the sequence in which creatures were killed and buried during Noah’s Flood – seafloor dwelling creatures and flocculated plankton first – all the way up to large land animals and birds, that obviously would be last to ‘succumb to the waves’. The extraction of red blood cells and haemoglobin from (unfossilized) dinosaur bone and the extraction of DNA fragments from insects trapped in supposedly multiple million year old amber indicates that these creatures were alive very recently indeed. If these bones / insects were, in fact, millions of years old, all biological material in them would have completely degenerated by now. The observed rates of biological degeneration under such conditions would give maximal ages of a few thousand years for these bones / insects.
    The list of species in the so-called Geological Column represents the order of their catastrophic burial and it is NOT a record of their supposed evolution.

Equally, using collections of animal and plant fossils to ‘date’ a rock on the basis of Evolutionary assumptions in relation to the assumed position of these creatures in the ‘Evolutionary Tree’ is only valid if Evolution (and its Tree) are scientifically valid. It is actually an example of circular reasoning in action.
    Strata, which hold the same collection of fossils, could indicate that these creatures were buried during the same stage of the Flood Event for a number of reasons including their physical location in the Biosphere or the place where they gathered together before being drowned. It could also be related to their size, shape or hydrodynamic characteristics.

3. Taxonomy shows the CURRENT biological relationships among species that have arisen through speciation processes acting on the original created Kinds.
    Evolution explains nothing more than the scientifically valid phenomenon of Natural Selection, and this isn’t contested by Creation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Hot Dog

1. Geology shows that all fossils.....(Edited for length)....routinely obtained from rocks of recent KNOWN ages.

2. Palaeontology shows ......(edited for length).......... being drowned. It could also be related to their size, shape or hydrodynamic characteristics.

1 and 2 or so wrong, so very wrong that it makes tears come out of my face.

You really have no clue as to what you are talking about. Thats okay though. You are my new high water mark of anti-intellectualism. ( Formerly jerry springer)

Common parallell Creation is a much more powerful explantion for this amazing genetic phenomena ......which contadict both Evolutionary Convergence .....and Divergence!!!!!:eek::D

......see my Post above for the views of Professor Conway Morris on the objectively verifiable requirement for a 'Great Mind' ultimately controlling 'Evolution'......(or producing Creation, as I would argue)!!!:eek::)

Except the problem is that you can have, in the case of the MHC DRB1 and DQB1 genes, half a dozen allelic lineages in humans that show greater divergence between them than chimp and human sequences for a gene picked at random. The lineages don't respect the species barrier either, and a number of them show up in multiple great apes - which contain additional ancient lineages too - and even more disparate primates. This does pose rather a problem if your working model starts with two created / flood-surviving individuals - or four alleles - in each species.

I'm not sure I'd be so keen to call Simon Conway Morris to the colours. His views on evolution - aside from thinking it directed in a manner that can't really be detected - are in line with all evolutionary biologists. He's also, as you'll see in his Boyle Lecture, fond of using the intelligent design movement as whipping boys, perhaps to stress his evolutionary orthodoxy.

[EDIT]
    I've just read this:
    I recently attended a very interesting lecture given by Prof. Simon Conway Morris, Professor of Evolutionary Palaeobiology in Cambridge University.
    Prof. Conway Morris claims to be an Old Earth, Darwinian Evolutionist who is a member of the Church of England.
    He has concluded that life could not develop via random mutagenesis......even with NS 'controling' the process.....because the useless random combinatorial space surrounding biomolecules is simply so great that it would overwhelm any selection process.......and therefore the evolution of life (and Human Beings EXACTLY like us) was predestined by a 'Great Mind' from the very start......and Evolution therefore proceeds along limited, tightly specified, 'paths'.....which were pre-determined by this 'Great Mind'.

Prof Conway Morris cites the apparent 'independent development' of up to 20 different eyes in different creatures, when the odds of spontaneously developing even one eye design are statisitically impossible.......and such multiple 'independent development' of functional biological structures is widespread within nature.

Did Prof. Conway Morris actually make the comments I've emphasised? I've never heard him say anything of the sort before, so I question whether these are ideas of your own that you have interpolated into his talk.

• Advertisement

Except the problem is that you can have, in the case of the MHC class two genes, large numbers of allelic lineages in humans and also in the other great apes. This poses rather a problem if your working model starts with two created / flood-surviving individuals - or four alleles - in each species.

There were only eight people alive following the Flood, so there should be a maximum of 16 alleles at any given locus in humans.....if your idea is correct - that there isn't some mechanism generating Genetic Diversity.
    However, it is now clear that many genes exist within populations as hundreds or even thousands of alleles. For example, 240 alleles have already been discovered in the human HLA-B locus.........
    Homologous recombination seems to be the primary reason for such Genetic Diversity arising.......and NOT Mutation
    ......and NOT a distant Common Ancestor (supposedly back beyond the Apes).......which makes no sense anyway........because we have ALREADY established that ALL Humans are descended from TWO original common ancestors.....Y-Chromosome Adam and Mitoichondrial Eve!!!!
    I'm not sure I'd be so keen to call Simon Conway Morris to the colours. His views on evolution - aside from thinking it directed in a manner that can't really be detected - are in line with all evolutionary biologists. He's also, as you'll see in his Boyle Lecture, fond of using the intelligent design movement as whipping boys, perhaps to stress his evolutionary orthodoxy.

My point was that Materialistic Evolutionists are increasingly coming to recognise that Spontaneous Materialistic processes ON THEIR OWN cannot account for living creatures.
    Prof Conway Morris does reject Intelligent Design and Creationism.......but never-the-less he accepts and argues strongly that life could not develop via random mutagenesis......even with NS 'controling' the process.....because the sheer amount of useless biomolecules that would result from random mutagenesis is so great that it would overwhelm any selection process.......and therefore the evolution of life (and Human Beings EXACTLY like us) was predestined by a 'Great Mind' from the very start......and Evolution must of necessity, proceed along very limited, tightly specified, 'paths'.....which were pre-determined by this 'Great Mind'.

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C

Prof Conway Morris cites the apparent 'independent development' of up to 20 different eyes in different creatures, when the odds of spontaneously developing even one eye design are statisitically impossible.......and such multiple 'independent development' of functional biological structures is widespread within nature

Did Prof. Conway Morris actually make the comments I've emphasised? I've never heard him say anything of the sort before, so I question whether these are ideas of your own that you have interpolated into his talk.

You are correct that these are NOT verbatim quotes from Prof. Conway Morris ......and could I draw your attention to the fact that I haven't claimed them to be exact quotes.
    .......they are my interpretation of the essence of what he was saying. For example, Prof. Conway Morris said that the permutations amongst complex individual biomolecules were of an order of 10^^250.....which I would interpret as statistical impossibilities given the fact that there are less than 10^^100 electrons in the postulated 'Big Bang' Universe of conventional Science......and there are very limited numbers of functional individual Biomolecules (of the order of 100,000 for Human Proteins, for example).

....and the kernel of Prof Conway Morris's lecture WAS his informed opinion that the evolution of life (and Human Beings EXACTLY like us) was predestined by something like a 'Great Mind' from the very start......and he highlighted the fact that Evolution proceeds along limited, tightly specified, 'paths'.....in comparison with the effectively infinite number of possibilites which exist........which indicates that they must have been pre-determined by something like a 'Great Mind'.
    He went so far as to predict that IF an Alien Intelligent lifeform were to be discovered it would be remarkably like us Humans.....because of the very narrow possibilities which exist within the known Laws of Physics, Chemistry and Biology for functional intelligent beings to arise!!!

Wikipedia confirms that Prof Conway Morris has described Evolution as "showing an eerie predictability leading to the direct contradiction of the currently accepted wisdom that insists on evolution being governed by the contingencies of circumstance (or suitability to environment)".
    It also indicates that he believes that "there is evidence for fundamental equivalences of sensory perception and the implication that deeper in the nervous system there is only one mentality (and therefore) Minds may be not only universal, but also the same."

Only eight people were alive following the Flood, there should be a maximum of 16 alleles at any given locus in humans.....if your idea is correct - that there isn't some mechanism generating Genetic Diversity.
    However, it is now clear that many genes exist within populations as hundreds or even thousands of alleles. For example, 240 alleles have already been discovered in the human HLA-B locus.........
    Homologous recombination seems to be the primary reason for such Genetic Diversity arising.......and NOT Mutation
    ......and NOT a distant Common Ancestor (supposedly back beyond the Apes).......which makes no sense anyway........because we have ALREADY established that ALL Humans are descended from TWO original common ancestors.....Y-Chromosome Adam and Mitoichondrial Eve!!!!

Taking just two genes (DQB1 and DRB1), there are in humans six ancient lineages that, under any model of evolution, are too divergent to have evolved from each other in recent times - certainly post-mitochondrial Eve - and in fact show greater divergence than human and chimp sequences from a gene picked at random. Several lineages are also found in chimps and gorillas, which have additional highly divergent lineages of their own.

And, as pointed out in my first post on this, 'Mitochondrial Eve' and 'Y-chromosome Adam' are simply the most recent common ancestors (MRCA) for the mitochondrial DNA and y-chromosome respectively. The same approach applied to each gene in the human genome allows you to work out the age of the most recent common ancestor of that gene, and it varies. Analysis of a large region of the X-chromosome, as I mentioned, gave an MRCA three times older than 'Mitochondrial Eve', and the MHC genes give MRCAs of the order of twenty times older.

Of course there are 'mechanisms generating diversity' - mutation, recombination etc. - that's the whole basis for evolution. However, to explain MHC variation under your model, you'd need a massively accelerated means of creating diversity, yet one that doesn't efface the differences between the ancient allele lineages, and one that simultaneously ensures convergent evolution at the DNA sequence level in different primate species. Sounds rather miraculous.

You are correct that these are NOT verbatim quotes from Prof. Conway Morris ......and could I draw your attention to the fact that I haven't claimed them to be exact quotes.
    .......they are my interpretation of the essence of what he was saying.

Essence?
    He has concluded that life could not develop via random mutagenesis......even with NS 'controling' the process

Every time I've heard him speaking previously, he's said the exact opposite.
    .....because the useless random combinatorial space surrounding biomolecules is simply so great that it would overwhelm any selection process

This is the kind of quote you'll only find in a creation science textbook. I doubt the good professor would say anything remotely similar.
    For example, Prof. Conway Morris said that the permutations amongst complex individual biomolecules were of an order of 10^^250

So there are many ways of making a living, and evolution exploits only a narrow number of them. True.
    .....which I would interpret as statistical impossibilities given the fact that there are less than 10^^100 electrons in the postulated 'Big Bang' Universe

Which is to misunderstand evolution, and what Conway Morris was saying.

Taking just two genes (DQB1 and DRB1), there are in humans six ancient lineages that, under any model of evolution, are too divergent to have evolved from each other in recent times - certainly post-mitochondrial Eve - and in fact show greater divergence than human and chimp sequences from a gene picked at random. Several lineages are also found in chimps and gorillas, which have additional highly divergent lineages of their own.

You are ASSUMING that these lineages are "ancient" because "under any model of evolution, (they) are too divergent to have evolved from each other in recent times" .......

......however, under a Creation/rapid Homologous Recombination Model they could be 'very recent'.....and ARE predicted to occur!!!!

And, as pointed out in my first post on this, 'Mitochondrial Eve' and 'Y-chromosome Adam' are simply the most recent common ancestors (MRCA) for the mitochondrial DNA and y-chromosome respectively. The same approach applied to each gene in the human genome allows you to work out the age of the most recent common ancestor of that gene, and it varies. Analysis of a large region of the X-chromosome, as I mentioned, gave an MRCA three times older than 'Mitochondrial Eve', and the MHC genes give MRCAs of the order of twenty times older.

........so we have multiple 'bottlenecking' of the Human Population down to one individual for nearly every gene that we possess........'tis a wonder we are here at all ...at all :eek::D

......and our Most Recent Common Female Ancestor was separated by 20,000 years from our Most Recent Common Male Ancestor...........I have heard of long courtships .......but this takes the biscuit!!!!:eek::D

Of course there are 'mechanisms generating diversity' - mutation, recombination etc. - that's the whole basis for evolution. However, to explain MHC variation under your model, you'd need a massively accelerated means of creating diversity, yet one that doesn't efface the differences between the ancient allele lineages, and one that simultaneously ensures convergent evolution at the DNA sequence level in different primate species. Sounds rather miraculous.

.......no miracle.......just Homologous Recombination in action!!!!:D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

wow .........you really do love your dots........dont' you? ..............

You are ASSUMING that these lineages are "ancient" because "under any model of evolution, are too divergent to have evolved from each other in recent times" .......

......under a Creation/rapid Homologous Recombination Model they could be 'very recent'.....and ARE predicted to occur!!!!

A model that hasn't even made it to the back-of-an-envelope stage.

We can wave the phrase 'homologous recombination' about like a magic wand, but if we're clinging to a spar from a sunken Ark, it doesn't actually explain away what I've described.
    ........so we have multiple 'bottlenecking' of the Human Population down to one individual for nearly every gene that we possess........'tis a wonder we are here at all ...at all :eek::D

Incorrect. Estimates put human ancestor populations at around 10,000 minimum.

If you look at the throughbred studbook, you'll see a tiny handful of individuals from the last couple of centuries representing most of the modern gene pool. This doesn't mean that there were only a handful of horses in the breeding population. A primer on genetic drift will help you see the error of your ways.
    ......and our Most Recent Common Female Ancestor was separated by 20,000 years from our Most Recent Common Male Ancestor...........I have heard of long courtships .......but this takes the biscuit!!!!:eek::D

Rather more. 140,000 vs 60,000-90,000 years. It would require an extraordinarily literal-minded view to think that evolution required the two to have got it on.

You know, if I didn't have a broken leg, I'd be doing something much more worthwhile right now. I hope your excuse is as robust.

Essence?

......yes, I was trying to distill the central messages of a two hour lecture.

Every time I've heard him speaking previously, he's said the exact opposite.

.....so are you saying that his position is that Evolution could have produced an infinite selection of various life-forms.......and the way chemicals behave could facilitate this???

This is the kind of quote you'll only find in a creation science textbook. I doubt the good professor would say anything remotely similar.

He didn't use the words 'useless random combinatorial space'......but he did say that the 'paths' that Evolution could 'follow' to produce useful biomolecules were extremely limited......which is the RESULT of the useless combinatorial space around useful biomolecules being almost infinitely great !!!!

So there are many ways of making a living, and evolution exploits only a narrow number of them. True.
    ....but the problem which Prof. Conway Morris is alluding to is HOW Evolution AVOIDS being permanently trapped producing an effective infinity of useless biomolecules by random mutagenesis (because of the 10^^ 250 USELESS permutations amongst complex individual biomolecules).......and his solution seems to be that Evolution is 'directed' along very narrow 'paths' by a chemistry system that was originally produced within matter by a 'Great Mind'!!!

Which is to misunderstand evolution, and what Conway Morris was saying.
    Perhaps........there is always the possibility of misunderstanding.....especially when something as complex and amorphous as Evolution is being discussed.

iUseVi wrote: »
    wow .........you really do love your dots........dont' you? ..............

.......and I also like joining them up ......to reach rational conclusions!!!:D;)

We can wave the phrase 'homologous recombination' about like a magic wand, but if we're clinging to a spar from a sunken Ark, it doesn't actually explain away what I've described.

........but it fully explains how we have MHC DRB1 and DQB1 genes, nonetheless!!!!:D

Incorrect. Estimates put human ancestor populations at around 10,000 minimum.
    ....did somebody carry out a census on them .....or something????:confused::cool:
    If you look at the throughbred studbook, you'll see a tiny handful of individuals from the last couple of centuries representing most of the modern gene pool. This doesn't mean that there were only a handful of horses in the breeding population. A primer on genetic drift will help you see the error of your ways.

There was only a handful of foundation stallions......with many mares, before they closed the Stud Book!!!:)

Rather more. 140,000 vs 60,000-90,000 years. It would require an extraordinarily literal-minded view to think that evolution required the two to have got it on.

......methinks that it would require a miracle........but then Evolution requires multiple miracles.......and therefore another miracle shouldn't cause the theory to be rejected for over-reliance on miracles!!!!:D:)
    You know, if I didn't have a broken leg, I'd be doing something much more worthwhile right now. I hope your excuse is as robust.

.......my excuse is that I am trying to help Evolutionists to discover the truth....

.......something which seems to be almost as painful as a broken leg......for ALL concerned!!!:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Eschatologist

I notice this is just a re-hash of your first post and has probably already been debunked, but what the hey. Since you reposted it clearly you haven't learnt anything:
    1. The fact that all ‘effects’ are observed to have a ‘cause’ of an equivalent magnitude means that the ‘biggest effect of all’ (the creation of all matter, time and space) must also have an equally big ‘cause’ and only God is capable of being this ‘Ultimate Cause’.

Clearly you have never heard of Chaos Theory. I direct you to the excellent book Chaos by James Gleick. If that's too hard a read, Deep Simplicity by John Gribbin is an easier read on the subject of chaos.
    2. The fact that all processes in the Universe work like clockwork, and precision machines are invariably observed to have an intelligent maker means that there is a ‘clockmaker of the Universe’ – and He is God.

Ah classic attempted creationist misdirection. You sound like Kent Hovind. An inanimate object, though complex, does not reproduce - a basic tenet for classification as life. Note also that complexity does not automatically indicate design. And because you say otherwise doesn't make it true.
    3. The fact that all energy in the Universe is ‘winding down’ means that some all-powerful ‘entity’ must have ‘wound it up’ – again the only possible solution is an all-powerful God acting outside of the physical laws of the Universe.

Astronomical observations strongly indicate that the mean energy density of the Universe is exactly what would be expected if there was zero initial energy at the start of the Big bang and would require no violation of the laws of energy conservation.
    4. The fact that life shows massive amounts of purposeful information and information is invariably observed to ultimately have an intelligent source proves that a massive intelligence aka God created it.

Doesn't prove a thing.
    5. The fact that all mutations are observed to be 'information losing' phenomena means that mutation doesn't provide any mechanism for increasing genetic information in living organisms indicates. This indicates that all of life was created with the same or more genetic information potential than it now possesses.

As a creationists you like to believe that the founding population for a given species (the ones saved on the Ark presumably) already contained the information necessary to produce the diversity in beak sizes among for example, the Galapagos Finches. Your argument is that only the environmental pressures allow this information to express itself so that diversity occurs within the species only, and that no new information is created or necessary... Antibiotic resistance anybody? Creationists attack this by saying that bacteria pass resistance to each other by exchanging plasmids that have nothing to do with mutations. That is a lie. The bacteria which first spreads the plasmid for new resistance to new drugs had to experience a mutation in the gene which produces plasmids, which it can then exchange with other bacteria; but it had to undergo a useful mutation first. As the creationists would have us believe, bacteria are genetically encoded with all the possibilites for different plasmids, just waiting for an antibiotic to come along so they can select the appropriate plasmid and spread the goodwill! This doesn't explain resistance to human-engineered medicines, unless they had an industrial microbiology laboratory on the Ark and a knowledge of modern genetics based on evolution, which I highly doubt. Sequence the genome of a culture before and after introducing a medicinal agent and you will see a gain in information.
    6. Because it has been mathematically proven that undirected processes cannot produce the precise bio-molecules required for life only God could do that.

I direct your attention to the discovery of organic molecules on Titan (Capone et al., 1981), http://astrobiology.arc.nasa.gov/news/expandnews.cfm?id=1319
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071128151808.htm
    7. The fact that life has never been observed to arise spontaneously means that it must have been created and the only plausible ‘Creator’ is God

Just because you didn't see it happen doesn't make it untrue. At least science can attempt to explain origins rather than resorting to the supernatural. Could I gently remind you that science doesn't preclude a supernatural origin either, but because that is outside the realm of science it is not relevant to the mechanisms of how things occur. You're perfectly entitled to believe in a divine creator but you also cannot prove it so stop spouting 'scientific' nonsense.
    Each science discipline provides incontrovertible evidence for Creation as follows:-

1. Geology shows that all fossils are less than c. 7,000 years old with the vast majority of fossils dating from Noah’s Flood 5,000 +/- 500 years ago.

Where are the peer-reviewed geology papers on these dates? Where are the creationist papers which show every other consistent date (all several hundred thousand of them) are wrong? Geology also shows that the Jack Hills zircons are ~4.4 Gyr old.
    The assumption that the millions of so-called “annual micro layers” observed in deep sedimentary rock layers ... was disproved during the Mount St Helens volcanic eruption in 1980 when hundreds of thousands of “micro layers” were observed to be laid down in newly formed sedimentary rocks in a matter of hours.

If you apply this to all sedimentary layers everywhere gross inconsistencies pop up. The decadal cycles in aeolian Navajo Sandstone, Utah (Chan and Archer, 2000), Milankovitch cycles in British Jurassic mudrocks (Weedon, Jenkyns, Coe and Hesselbo, 1999) and condensed sections clearly mean nothing to you.
    Equally, polystrate tree fossils are observed ‘standing up through’ sedimentary rock layers that supposedly took millions of years to lay down – the logical conclusion is that that these layers were laid down rapidly and not over millions of years. It is ridiculous to postulate that a dead tree stood upright for millions of years while slow deposition of sediment gradually buried it. The fact that the ‘bottom’ of the fossilised tree is observed to be as well preserved as the ‘top’ is also a ‘bit of a giveaway’ that very rapid burial took place. Deep sedimentary rock layers therefore do not indicate ‘long ages’ – only a catastrophic worldwide disaster!!!!

-Lol! Extensive root systems reached into deeper layers.
    Radioactive dating of rocks doesn’t work in PRINCIPLE – because we cannot know what the starting levels of radioactivity were or if further radioactivity was added or taken away (for example, by the differential leaching of the radioactive chemicals such as Potassium) during the ‘life’ of the rock. It also doesn’t work in PRACTICE – because erroneous (very large) ages are routinely obtained from rocks of recent KNOWN ages.

AGAIN I refer you to Funkhauser, Barnes & Noughton, 1965. Scientists are well aware to test the appropriate phenocrysts and not the potentially much older xenoliths. You obviously didn't read my earlier post regarding andesites or you would have realised how silly your assertion sounds. And you profess to have geological experience?! Another classic creationist ploy - attack the few examples where radiometric dating has given obviously spurious results versus the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of perfectly fine results. To use a common analogy - your computer occasionally crashes. Do you conclude that all computers do not work? Of course not because that would be RIDICULOUS!
    2. Palaeontology shows the sequence in which creatures were killed and buried during Noah’s Flood – seafloor dwelling creatures and flocculated plankton first – all the way up to large land animals and birds, that obviously would be last to ‘succumb to the waves’. The extraction of red blood cells and haemoglobin from (unfossilized) dinosaur bone and the extraction of DNA fragments from insects trapped in supposedly multiple million year old amber indicates that these creatures were alive very recently indeed. If these bones / insects were, in fact, millions of years old, all biological material in them would have completely degenerated by now. The observed rates of biological degeneration under such conditions would give maximal ages of a few thousand years for these bones / insects.

This is laughable. I will just say that I know someone who recently completed a PhD involving fossilised frogs which are 180 million years old. She successfully extracted collagen from them. Seriously, have you never heard of instances of exceptional preservation?

That was fun :).

Clearly you have never heard of Chaos Theory. I direct you to the excellent book Chaos by James Gleick. If that's too hard a read, Deep Simplicity by John Gribbin is an easier read on the subject of chaos.

When biological systems start behaving chaotically .....'bad things' happen to the organism.......so Chaos Theory doesn't even get to the starting blocks as an explanation for life.
    Note also that complexity does not automatically indicate design. And because you say otherwise doesn't make it true.

An object must be specified as well as complex to infer that it is designed!!!:cool:
    Astronomical observations strongly indicate that the mean energy density of the Universe is exactly what would be expected if there was zero initial energy at the start of the Big bang and would require no violation of the laws of energy conservation.

OK......so our observed tera tera tera tera tera......tera watts of energy in a trillion trillion trillion trillion stars.......indicates that they ALL originated from NO energy at all ........first there was nothing .......and then it blew up with the ferocity of a trillion trillion trillion trillion Suns!!!:)

.......that sure was some 'nothing!!!!:eek::)

I direct your attention to the discovery of organic molecules on Titan (Capone et al., 1981), http://astrobiology.arc.nasa.gov/news/expandnews.cfm?id=1319
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071128151808.htm
    .....and I discovered some pretty 'long chain aromatics' eminating from somebody that I shared a seat with on a plane recently.....but neither of us expect any life to emerge from them....in the foreseeable future!!!! :eek::)
    -Lol! Extensive root systems reached into deeper layers.

It is the fossilised (and perfectly preserved) tree trunks sticking up through supposed hundreds of millions of years of stratigraphy that I was referring to.....

......and the logical conclusion is that that these layers were laid down rapidly and not over millions of years. It is ridiculous to postulate that a dead tree stood upright for millions of years while slow deposition of sediment gradually buried it. The fact that the ‘bottom’ of the fossilised tree is observed to be as well preserved as the ‘top’ is also a ‘bit of a giveaway’ that very rapid burial took place. Deep sedimentary rock layers with embedded polystrate trees therefore do not indicate ‘long ages’ – only a catastrophic worldwide disaster!!!!:)

This is laughable. I will just say that I know someone who recently completed a PhD involving fossilised frogs which are 180 million years old. She successfully extracted collagen from them. Seriously, have you never heard of instances of exceptional preservation?

That was fun :).

........so you believe that the collagen in a fossilised frog can be preserved and recovered........after 180 million years!!!!!!!!!!

........now that is some feat of preservation!!!!!

.......and some Dino fossils are so well preserved that you could almost obtain a blood donation from them!!!

......the fact that many fossils contain organic material is actually further proof ......that they have been preserved very recently indeed!!! :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Eschatologist

When biological systems start behaving chaotically .....'bad things' happen to the organism.......so Chaos Theory doesn't even get to the starting blocks as an explanation for life.

I never said it did. This was merely a reply to your post that all causes of a certain magnitude have an equal effect of equivalent magnitude. I was merely drawing attention to the fact that this is a massive generalisation. Small nudges can indeed produce huge effects, as described in Chaos theory. You misinterpreted by reply is all.
    OK......so our observed tera tera tera tera tera......tera watts of energy in a trillion trillion trillion trillion stars.......indicates that they ALL originated from NO energy at all ........first there was nothing .......and then it blew up with the ferocity of a trillion trillion trillion trillion Suns!!!:)

.......that sure was some 'nothing!!!!:eek::)

I can't answer what the Universe was like at the moment of the Big Bang, I can only fall back on what I've learned from physics lectures and reading papers. Perhaps there was nothing in the beginning, then it exploded (or inflated rather, to be pedantic), a singularity maybe, of maximum entropy and zero information. I can't say, I'm not a theoretical physicist. The second law of thermodynamics is not violated by a Universe that began with maximum entropy since an expanding Universe leaves plenty of room for order to emerge. I myself would not rule out intervention 'in the very beginning', something which gave the Universe a nudge be it divine or whatever, because I'm not ignorant enough to use the 'argument from incredulity' fallacy. Some theories postulate that our Universe sits within a 'Multiverse', in that case the energy could easily have come from outside our own Universe. Some propose that gravity is actually a force acting from outside the Universe which is why it's so weak. But surely such physics is beyond the scope of this thread?

Many of my geological questions are still being ignored by the creationists. Fine, ignore the fact that I just slammed your argument with K-Ar (have you read up on andesites yet?!), ignore the thousands of isotopic ages which back up accepted geology. Creationists seem to forget that showing a few ages to be spurious does not invalidate the radiometric process, nor does it even back up their claims. *sigh*
    ........so you believe that the collagen in a fossilised frog can be preserved and recovered........after 180 million years!!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe it's true, I know it's true. I've seen her thesis work and the evidence. It's not my fault you choose to ignore that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

You are correct - this guy is not a true christian.

Some proof of his non-christian beliefs:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/05/28/nchurch28.xml

A more honest term to describe him would be neo-christian, or pseudo-christian. Plain old false christian will do.
    Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. 30 Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Wicknight wrote: »
    If you don't understand thsoe articles and the rest of us are telling you that they don't answer the question, why do you assume it does?
    I hoped it would, but not being a geneticist, I couldn't be sure. Just trying to help.

I have to bow to your superior knowledge of genetics. If you say they don't address the issue, I can't say otherwise. JC would be the man to point you to more relevant articles.

I hoped it would, but not being a geneticist, I couldn't be sure. Just trying to help.

I have to bow to your superior knowledge of genetics. If you say they don't address the issue, I can't say otherwise. JC would be the man to point you to more relevant articles.

Wolfy, i think it is quite apparent that JC is not a scientist.

You are correct - this guy is not a true christian.

Some proof of his non-christian beliefs:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/05/28/nchurch28.xml

A more honest term to describe him would be neo-christian, or pseudo-christian. Plain old false christian will do.
    Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. 30 Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves.

Why do christians make themselves out to be loving and caring when they are anything but? Why do you believe atheists are the ones with bad morals?

I have no problem with people being gay. If two people love each other, whats the problem with that? Who cares what a bunch of desert nomads thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Who cares what a bunch of desert nomads thought?

If you don't care then why post in the Christianity forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

PDN wrote: »
    If you don't care then why post in the Christianity forum?

Well, historically, this thread isn't really part of the Christianity forum...it's something sui generis, really.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

........now that is some feat of preservation!!!!!

.......and some Dino fossils are so well preserved that you could almost obtain a blood donation from them!!!

......the fact that many fossils contain organic material is actually further proof ......that they have been preserved very recently indeed!!! :):D

A pity you missed JC's original comments on this...he had blood squirting across the room from the specimens.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement