Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Galvasean wrote: »
    It took Jesus three days if I remember correctly.
    Ah, NOW you've got it! :):):)

Nature cannot produce life from death - but God can. Natural life sprang from a spiritual force. God spoke and the world began. Christ rose from the dead. One day He will raise every one who has died from their graves, Some to everlasting life,
    Some to shame and everlasting contempt.

What a load of nonsense. Why would i want to go to heaven anyway? It would just be full of people like you. Sounds like my idea of hell.

Of course it sounds like that to you:
    2 Corinthians 4:3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.

But the good news is that we all began in that state - and God has freed me and all the brethren. He can do the same for you - nothing is impossible for God:
    2 Corinthians 4:6 For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Creation Science has a large number of well-qualified and practising scientists.
    Not at all. The number is dismally small and the vast majority are operating well outside of what they studied.

In terms of proportions, I believe that the number of PhD-level biologists who support YE creationism is similar to the number of PhD-level historians who say that the Holocaust never happened.

This should give creationists pause for thought, but of course, it doesn't. Plays to well to the creationists' vividly-imagined sense of persecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Given that it has already established on this thread that articles from Creation Ministries cannot be trusted as they appear to have no proper form of editorial process and frequently post articles with lies and misrepresentations, I'm rather at a loss why you would continue to post articles from them?
    I must have missed this established truth. As I recall, it was just opinions, prejudices and rants. Proof enough for some no doubt.

Hmm. To put that very slightly more temperately - those of us who have specific scientific expertise have found the articles at AnswersinGenesis et al to contain factual errors and misrepresentations, as well as conclusions that do not logically follow from the cited evidence, even given the assumptions of the authors.

Whether that reflects their editorial process I couldn't say, but it certainly casts profound doubts on the validity of their conclusions. It is impossible, I would say, to honestly consider AIG a reputable source for scientific information, unless of course one has no real acquaintance with science.

regrettably,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Both Young Earthers and Big Bangers have to speculate that something was faster than light today - light itself or the supposed inflation of the Big Bang. Maybe you know of a different solution?
    How can we see distant stars in a young universe?
    http://creationontheweb.com/images/pdfs/cabook/chapter5.pdf

Sorry, i seemed to have missed that bit in science class. Where do 'big-bangers' (ie 99% of science) say that the speed of light was faster back then? I don't want AiG nonsense, the least you could provide is an actual scientific article that was peer-reviewed and credible.

BTW, making the speed of light faster back then, actually makes the universe OLDER.

EDIT: People should read that 'paper' he cited, it is ****ing priceless. Im in knots reading it!!

Here are a taste of the citations offered in the paper:

2. Humphreys, D.R., 1994. Progress toward a young-Earth relativistic cosmology. Proceedings
    3rd ICC, Pittsburgh, PA, pp. 267–286.
    3. Byl, J., 1997. On time dilation in cosmology. Creation Research Society Quarterly
    34(1):26–32.
    4. Humphreys, D.R., 1997. It’s just a matter of time. Creation Research Society Quarterly
    34(1):32–34.
    5. Conner, S.R. and Page, D.N., 1998. Starlight and Time is the Big Bang. Journal of Creation
    12(2):174–194.
    6. Humphreys, D.R., 1998. New vistas of space-time rebut the critics. Journal of Creation
    12(2):195–212.
    7. See further discussion in Journal of Creation 13(1):49–62, 1999.

Not a single credible journal among them, what a load of bull.

Look at the way they present their 'model' when deriving 'equations':

Time = Distance (divided by) Speed

Why not use the '/' sign like every other journal paper would? Because they are pitching it to people who are ignorant of even the most basic of mathematics.

In summary, this 'paper' just reads like the person is making wild guesses as he goes along. Where are the models that we have been demanding? These guys are physicists, right? They should be trained to create such models, where are they? Why are they afraid of their ideas being tested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

How you equate it with the Creation Science movement is beyond me - who are the scientists in the Flat Earth Society? Maybe I've missed that bit of information? Creation Science has a large number of well-qualified and practising scientists.

On the contrary, the Flat Earth Society claims to have several practicing scientists on their records. Surely someone so open-minded as yourself would at least hear them out? I mean, they have scientist members, ipso facto, there is scientific debate on the shape of the Earth. :eek:

Oh, and Creation scientists do not practice science. Certainly we've seen no evidence of publication in reputable research journals and no evidence of censorship to explain this fact. I think it would be more accurate to label them Creation Lobbyists than Creation Scientists, don't you? :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Anybody with a shred of college physics or maths, or even common sense could rip that article to pieces.

Aside from all the bad formatting and complete ignorance when it comes to applying scientific theories to the universe, all of the references are to such choice publications as the "Journal of Creation" and the "Creation Research Society Quarterly".

This quote from the end sums up creationism perfectly
    However, even without this new idea, such an approach would still
    have been wrong-headed. The authority of the Bible should never be
    compromised by mankind’s ‘scientific’ proposals. One little previously
    unknown fact, or one change in a starting assumption, can drastically
    alter the whole picture so that what was ‘fact’ is no longer so.

This is worth remembering when dealing with those other areas of
    difficulty which, despite the substantial evidence for Genesis creation,
    still remain. Only God possesses infinite knowledge. By basing our
    scientific research on the assumption that His Word is true
    (instead of the
    assumption that it is wrong or irrelevant) our scientific theories are much
    more likely, in the long run, to come to accurately represent reality.

If rational scientists were to take the same approach the theoretical physicists might as well simply assume the higgs boson exists and use the research money to get pissed in celebration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

J C wrote: »
    Accusing your opposition of lying is also a habit that some Evolutionists have developed on this thread......
    So what? You have been into space? Is that along with your "scientific qualification" ... ?
    The Flat Earth Hypothesis can be disproven by directly measuring the curvature of the Earth ...by simultanously measuring the angle of the Sun at two points on the Earth's Surface.......
    The Flat Earth "scientists" disagree, they say they have done their own experiments and found the data is consistent with a Flat Earth as described in the Bible.

Isn't that exactly what all Creationists do, put their own slant on evidence so the results come out in a way that matches the Bible.

You should feel right at home with them I would have thought. After all a Young Earth can be disproved by radiometric dating, unless you refuse to accept those results and rely on your own interpretation of certain data manipulated to match the Bible. A flat Earth can be disproved by measurements of the rotation and looking at it from space, unless you refuse to accept those results and rely on your own interpretation of certain data manipulated to match the Bible.

You should really feel right at home with the Flat Earthers JC ... they think pretty much exactly like you.

Had a look at their site. Seems just another quasi-religious scam.

LOL, what, as opposed to "Answers in Genesis" :rolleyes::pac::pac:
    How you equate it with the Creation Science movement is beyond me
    Umm, because they are both exactly the same, the gross distortion of science to further a specific religious interpretation. Oh and they have the "science" to back it all up, just as you Young Earth Creationists claim.
    Creation Science has a large number of well-qualified and practising scientists.

As do the Flat Earth society. Look they even have an internet forum to discuss these things (sure don't all these groups having little AiG of their own) -

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e3f4f4cef2faa92dfe441807a980fefb&board=8.0

I can link to the pieces that demonstrate an alternative interpretation of the evidence that "strongly" points to a Flat Earth if you like. As 2Scoops says, someone as open minded and so aware of how "big science" locks out alternative theories and keeps down the little guys, should be acutely aware of important this type of "science" is.

In fact I'm ratehr surprised you aren't a Flat Earther Wolfsbane (even more suprised about JC), I would have thought that would be right up your alley.

A religious group with a minority scientific position (thats an understatement) trying to fight the atheist/secularist scientific community intent on spreading lies about the special place God created for humans, challenging the orthodox dogma of science that contradicts the Bible and seeks to make Earth just one planet out of billions.

Fight the power and all that :pac:

(anyone else really enjoying this :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Wicknight wrote: »
    (anyone else really enjoying this :D)

Yep, almost as much as this awesome new pacman smiley! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Wicknight said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane

As do the Flat Earth society.
    Just a quickie for research purposes: where did you see the list of their scientists? I could not find any. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Hot Dog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Steve

Kinda puts the idea of lots of support for creationism into perspective!

Wicknight said:

Just a quickie for research purposes: where did you see the list of their scientists? I could not find any. Thanks.

Well you must not have looked very hard ...

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=10995.0

I await the Creationist vs Flat Earthers battle royal over how has the longest list :pac:

Oh and a few quotes taken out of context and misrepresenting the original author's true opinion as being in support of Flat Earth, which you Creationists may appreciate considering how often you do it with scientists yourselves. Shaw seemingly knew the truth that a Round Earth is a scientific myth that people blindly accept, just like Gould seemingly knows that evolution can never happen

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=8423.0

:pac:

(that smilie was made for times like this)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

On the topic of Creationism I was about wondering when exactly God created all the "mythical" creatures that the Bible says really do exist? Did he do this on the sixth day along with all the conventional animals or were they lumped in with with the angels and heavenly creatures? I'm talking here about the dragons, the unicorns, four legged birds, the cockatrices (serpents hatched from the egg of a cock that kill by looking at people), Behemoths, Leviathans, Satyrs (half man and half goat), and the flying snakes which are on fire and go around biting people and generally being a nuisance.

So which day exactly were these created (I assume they do exist because we all know the Bible doesn't get things wrong)? Did Noah have to fit two Behemoths onto the Ark as well? Did God remind Noah to apply an adequate coating of flame retardent to the timber to stop the fiery snakes from burning it down? As Satyrs are half man do they also have a soul and so, if they admit Christ as their Lord and Saviour, will they get to go to Paradise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Eschatologist

I gently direct the creationists to this link, Inflation for Beginners, written by the excellent John Gribbin:

http://www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/home/John_Gribbin/cosmo.htm

Explains quite nicely how faster than light inflation is possible as well as the random and creator-independant 'appearance of something from nothing'.

All those creationist theoretical physicists (:pac:) should have fun with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    and THEN try thinking about how long it takes something that is dead to spontanously spring back to life again!!!

Galvasean
    It took Jesus three days if I remember correctly.

....BUT Jesus DIDN'T spontaneously rise from the dead.......He did so utilising His powers as an omnipotent God.........

.....and like life DIDN'T spontaneously arise either.....it was Created by this same God utilising His omnipotent powers as well!!!:D

On the topic of Creationism I was about wondering when exactly God created all the "mythical" creatures that the Bible says really do exist? Did he do this on the sixth day along with all the conventional animals or were they lumped in with with the angels and heavenly creatures? I'm talking here about the dragons, the unicorns, four legged birds, the cockatrices (serpents hatched from the egg of a cock that kill by looking at people), Behemoths, Leviathans, Satyrs (half man and half goat), and the flying snakes which are on fire and go around biting people and generally being a nuisance.

The 'Dragons' were the lizard-like Dinosaurs.....such as T Rex, for example.

The 'Unicorns' were Rhinoceroses....and Triceratops!!!!!

The 'Cockatrices' and 'Fiery Serpents' were venomous snakes.

The Behemoths were large land-based Dinosaurs like Brachiosaurs.

The 'Leviathans' were large aquatic Dinosaurs like Plesiosaurs.

The 'Satyrs' were wild Goats!!!!

and the 'flying snakes which are on fire' were venomous flying reptiles like Pterodactyls.
    So which day exactly were these created (I assume they do exist because we all know the Bible doesn't get things wrong)? Did Noah have to fit two Behemoths onto the Ark as well?

The Plesiosaurs and Pterodactyls were created on the Fifth Day......and all the rest on the Sixth Day!!!

Noah did have (juvenile) 'Behemoth' Dinosaurs on board the Ark!!!
    As Satyrs are half man do they also have a soul and so, if they admit Christ as their Lord and Saviour, will they get to go to Paradise?

The 'Satyr' of the Bilble was a wild Goat .....so your question about it's soul doesn't arise!!!
    The half man half goat 'Satyr' is an invention of Pagan Mythology:D.

I gently direct the creationists to this link, Inflation for Beginners, written by the excellent John Gribbin:

http://www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/home/John_Gribbin/cosmo.htm

Explains quite nicely how faster than light inflation is possible as well as the random and creator-independant 'appearance of something from nothing'.

All those creationist theoretical physicists (:pac:) should have fun with this one.

I had great fun reading the article on 'Inflation for Beginners'.......and the last paragraph provides an excellent summary of the current 'state of play' for the Big Bang......

"Confused? So are the astronomers; but they are also intrigued by the possibility that whatever is out there may be different from anything the theorists have yet been able to imagine. "

......the theorists should try imagining an omnipotent God Creating the Universe with a WHISPER of His omnipotent voice!!!!!:D

The title of the article on 'Groping in the Dark' is also particularly apt......http://www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/home/John_Gribbin/cosmo.htm#Groping

....and the following quote from first paragraph confirms that the Big Bang is just about dead......

"ASTRONOMERS congratulating themselves on having discovered what our Milky Way Galaxy is made of have had to cancel the celebrations. Their observations, suggesting that the bright stars of our Galaxy are embedded in a halo of thousands of billions of dark stars, are as good as ever. But unfortunately, a completely different series of observations implies that there simply are not enough atoms available to make all those dark stars."

.....so hold the Champagne lads and lassies.......the Big Bang has scientifically imploded!!!!!!!!!:eek::pac::pac::pac::) banghead.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The 'Unicorns' were Rhinoceroses....and Triceratops!!!!!
    *looks at sig* Ah, not this again J C, please don't make me bring out the diagrams again...
    and the 'flying snakes which are on fire' were venomous flying reptiles like Pterodactyls.

I'll play devil's advocate here. I know I shouldn't encourage you but I don't think you need to resort to bringing up pterodactyls when the world already posseses a flying snake.

aerial-pelias-sm.jpg
    I have yet to see a flaming specimen, but if we used our imaginations I'm sure we could make one...

Well you must not have looked very hard ...

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=10995.0

I await the Creationist vs Flat Earthers battle royal over how has the longest list :pac:

Oh and a few quotes taken out of context and misrepresenting the original author's true opinion as being in support of Flat Earth, which you Creationists may appreciate considering how often you do it with scientists yourselves. Shaw seemingly knew the truth that a Round Earth is a scientific myth that people blindly accept, just like Gould seemingly knows that evolution can never happen

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=8423.0

:pac:

(that smilie was made for times like this)

I'm sorry. Where is the list of scientists?

Did you think the list you posted was of aherents of flat-Earthism, never mind them being scientific ones?

Want to give it another go?

Again, you miss the point about Gould. Any logical person would understand Gould is being quoted to show his opposition to the standard evolutionary theory, not his version.

So anyone thinking Shaw believed in a flat Earth would likewise be lacking in logical skills. Too much :pac:, not enough THINKING?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Noah did have (juvenile) 'Behemoth' Dinosaurs on board the Ark!!!

Interesting. I assume if he took Brachiosaurs and other large herbivours he would have taken the carnivores also, I assume he had a special holding pen built into the ark for the velociraptors because if Jurassic Park is anyway right he would have needed to keep an especially close eye on them.
    The 'Satyr' of the Bilble was a wild Goat .....so your question about it's soul doesn't arise!!!

OK, so why did they not just say wild goat? I assume that at the time of writing the Bible there was no Hebrew word for "wild", they were stuck so they decided that the closest thing that described a wild goat was a Hellenic mythological Goat Man.

Clutching at staws there, as you are with the unicorn and triceratops comparison, the names tend to give it away, unicorn = one horn, triceratops = three horned.

robindch wrote: »
    Not at all. The number is dismally small and the vast majority are operating well outside of what they studied.

In terms of proportions, I believe that the number of PhD-level biologists who support YE creationism is similar to the number of PhD-level historians who say that the Holocaust never happened.

This should give creationists pause for thought, but of course, it doesn't. Plays to well to the creationists' vividly-imagined sense of persecution.
    Given that many Creationists do not go public with their views lest they suffer for it, the percentage will be higher than you think. But, Yes, Creationists are a small minority of the Scientific herd. But that still is a large number, not one or two weirdos churning out articles in their loft.

E.G:
    Scientists in the Physical Sciences
    http://www.icr.org/research/index/research_physci/

Scientists in the Biological Sciences
    http://www.icr.org/research/index/research_biosci/

Depeche_Mode said:
    OK, so why did they not just say wild goat? I assume that at the time of writing the Bible there was no Hebrew word for "wild", they were stuck so they decided that the closest thing that described a wild goat was a Hellenic mythological Goat Man.
    Not sure why the 1611 translators only transliterated the Hebrew - maybe they were unsure what sort of animal it represented. The word is used in many places of goats, and of hairy things. Its association with demons is probably in relation to the forms the idols took, i.e., goat-gods.

So the Bible is not suggesting a half-human/half goat animal - if it is speaking of animals, it is a goat; if of demons, the goat-god idol.

The word - is used in Genesis 27:11 And Jacob said to Rebekah his mother, “Look, Esau my brother is a hairy man, and I am a smooth-skinned man. It carries the idea of hairy/rough.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Hmm. To put that very slightly more temperately - those of us who have specific scientific expertise have found the articles at AnswersinGenesis et al to contain factual errors and misrepresentations, as well as conclusions that do not logically follow from the cited evidence, even given the assumptions of the authors.

Whether that reflects their editorial process I couldn't say, but it certainly casts profound doubts on the validity of their conclusions. It is impossible, I would say, to honestly consider AIG a reputable source for scientific information, unless of course one has no real acquaintance with science.

regrettably,
    Scofflaw
    Yes, and others who have specific scientific expertise disagree with you. And of course I have used several other sources for Creationist explanations, e.g. http://creationresearch.org/

daithifleming said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    Both Young Earthers and Big Bangers have to speculate that something was faster than light today - light itself or the supposed inflation of the Big Bang. Maybe you know of a different solution?
    How can we see distant stars in a young universe?
    http://creationontheweb.com/images/p...k/chapter5.pdf

Sorry, i seemed to have missed that bit in science class. Where do 'big-bangers' (ie 99% of science) say that the speed of light was faster back then? I don't want AiG nonsense, the least you could provide is an actual scientific article that was peer-reviewed and credible.
    I was saying the Big Bangers held that inflation was faster than light, in contrast to the faster-light scenario. Care to read it more carefully?

2Scoops wrote: »
    On the contrary, the Flat Earth Society claims to have several practicing scientists on their records. Surely someone so open-minded as yourself would at least hear them out? I mean, they have scientist members, ipso facto, there is scientific debate on the shape of the Earth. :eek:

Oh, and Creation scientists do not practice science. Certainly we've seen no evidence of publication in reputable research journals and no evidence of censorship to explain this fact. I think it would be more accurate to label them Creation Lobbyists than Creation Scientists, don't you? :pac::pac::pac:
    1. Please list these Flat Earth scientists - as I said to Wickie, I can't find the reference.

2. Creationists who practice science:
    Scientists in the Physical Sciences
    http://www.icr.org/research/index/research_physci/

Scientists in the Biological Sciences

http://www.icr.org/research/index/research_biosci/

You can check on individual's publications there. But you might mean their creationist material never sees the light of day in establishment journals? That generally is true. I've posted some feed-back I've got on the censorship involved with that, and will continue to do so as I get it.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Anybody with a shred of college physics or maths, or even common sense could rip that article to pieces.

Aside from all the bad formatting and complete ignorance when it comes to applying scientific theories to the universe, all of the references are to such choice publications as the "Journal of Creation" and the "Creation Research Society Quarterly".

This quote from the end sums up creationism perfectly

If rational scientists were to take the same approach the theoretical physicists might as well simply assume the higgs boson exists and use the research money to get pissed in celebration.

Your quote merely shows that the article was directed to believers - a popular-level scientifc article addressed to Christians. It was not a scientific presentation to a scientific gathering.

It was from a popular-level publication. Sufficient to prove my point, so I used it. More technical material can be found at, for example:
    http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/1616

http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v16/i3/cosmologists.asp

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2005/0112quasar.asp

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Given that many Creationists do not go public with their views lest they suffer for it, the percentage will be higher than you think.
    I don't accept that it has much influence on the figure. Self-sacrifice in the service of your religion is considered one of the greatest things that somebody of your religion can do. Saying that your co-religionists do not live up to the ultimate expression of self-sacrifice that they believe in suggests to me that you think that there may be plenty of cowards out there in the creationist community.

Having said that, JC's refusal to admit his identity suggest that bravery may very well not be an attribute which correlates much with creationism. Perhaps you're right after all and the halls of the world's universities may be crowded with creationists who are too frightened to admit it to each other? Bizarre.

Well the Flat Earthers disagree, and they have their own science and scientists to demonstrate this (http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/index.htm). They have interpreted the evidence and come to the conclusion that the Earth is flat.

Your link gives a fascinating account of various experiments carried out in the 19th Century by Samuel Birley Rowbotham.

As well as the infamus Bedford Level Experiments and the Hampden - Wallace libel trials
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Level_experiment
    there also were a number of other experiments which tended to convince Rowbotham that the Earth was flat, including this experiment
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za11.htm

The calculations and the observations were accurate.......but the assumption that light travels in straight lines through the atmosphere when the atmosphere ITSELF is curved in parallel with the curvature of the Earth was the main error that Rowbotham made (in relation to these observations).

The curvature of the Earth and it's atmosphere causes refraction of light to produce a 'mirage like' effect which causes distant objects to appear 'higher' on the horizon when viewed through a levelled telescope .......and this effect can roughly 'compensate' for the curvature of the Earth.....to the point of even allowing objects that are actually well beyond the horizon (as measured by straight line geometry) to still be seen.

Atmospheric distortion and perspective effects, also explain why the horizon of an open sea is observed to be 'level with' a levelled telescope even when the observation is made from a 1000 foot high cliff.....and the sea horizon is actually well over two thousand feet BELOW the observer (by straight line trigonometry)!!!!

The atmospheric distortion is something similar to the atmosphere becoming an imperfect 'fibre-optic' cable which allows an observer to see objects well below the horizon on the curve of the Earth.

Here is an example of such an effect
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za14.htm

Rowbotham erroneously concluded that it was impossible to occasionally see objects that were over 300 feet below the horizon, if the curvature of the Earth was correct......and he cited this evidence as proof of a Flat Sea ......and therefore a Flat Earth.

........but we know that such mirages are possible due to atmospheric refraction DUE to thermal inversions and the curvature of the atmosphere.....which is itself an effect of the cuvature of the Earth!!!!

......here is an interesting article which explains some aspects of the effects of atmospheric refraction.......

http://www.icogitate.com/~ergosum/essays/vtth/viewtothehorizon.htm

......so when it comes to distant mountains and sea horizons.......what you are seeing is refracted ......and it would look significantly different ....if you weren't looking at it through an atmosphere !!!

The atmospheric and Earth curvature effects are mutually complimentary over normal Planar Levelling intervals but they do have significant implications, which must be taken account of, when doing Geodetic Surveying and Levelling over large distances.

You should really feel right at home with the Flat Earthers JC ... they think pretty much exactly like you.

The Rowbotham error is ACTUALLY similar to the error which Evolutionists make......Rowbotham had evidence that objects could be seen BELOW the horizon, on a putative curved Earth ......and he interpreted this evidence within a Flat Earth Paradigm......and erroneously concluded that the Earth was therefore flat......notwithstanding all of the OTHER evidence against this conclusion!!!

Evolutionists simlarly observe Natural Selection in action and they then interpret this evidence within an Evolutionist Paradigm......and they erroneously conclude that 'molecules can therefore spontaneously evolve into Man'......notwithstanding all of the OTHER evidence (and logic) against this conclusion!!!! !!!!!:eek::pac::pac::pac::) banghead.gif

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    I don't accept that it has much influence on the figure. Self-sacrifice in the service of your religion is considered one of the greatest things that somebody of your religion can do. Saying that your co-religionists do not live up to the ultimate expression of self-sacrifice that they believe in suggests to me that you think that there may be plenty of cowards out there in the creationist community.

Having said that, JC's refusal to admit his identity suggest that bravery may very well not be an attribute which correlates much with creationism. Perhaps you're right after all and the halls of the world's universities may be crowded with creationists who are too frightened to admit it to each other? Bizarre.

The subtle distinction between 'Self-sacrifice' and 'Fool-hardiness' may have escaped you, Robin.

'Self-sacrifice' is sacrificing precious time and energy pointing out the logical fallacies of neo-Darwinian Evolution over thousands of postings......

......and 'Fool-hardiness' would be needlessly getting vilified and God knows what else....by 'throwing myself on the tender mercies' of people who don't like what I have to say!!!!:eek:banghead.gif

...and from my own personal experience, your idea that "the world's universities may be crowded with creationists who are too frightened to admit it to each other" may have more merit to it, than you imagined, when you said it!!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement