Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

How is that any different to what is posted by you guys? I understand that this is a Christianity forum, so if you want to stop people saying the opposite of the above, then fine. Why don't you oppose Wolfy saying that I'm going to burn in a pit of fire for eternity for not agreeing with him? Surely that is 'flaming'?

:D

This forum is for the discussion of Christian belief. Therefore it is perfectly reasonable for Christians to state their Beliefs. :rolleyes:

You are free to go on the A&A forum and state your beliefs as much as you like. I won't comment at all unless you misrepresent Christianity, make untrue statements, or 'invite' a response by exceptionally poor use of logic.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Christian posters do that all the time ... its normally followed by some dark warning about how we are turning away from God and it will all end in disaster :eek:

Indeed they do, and I think Dades probably has a higher tolerance level than me when it comes to trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote: »
    Hearing voices is one symptom of many. Most responsible doctors would try to see if a variety of symtoms were involved.

Coughing can be a symptom of lung cancer - but we do not send somebody to get x-rayed every time they clear their throat.
    Well yes, but coughing up blood may be.

Hearing voices in ones head is not particularly normal, and would certainly be a worrying sign, worthy of visiting a doctor.
    Even then there is still a "wait and see" attitude. Maybe they did hear from God. Maybe they didn't. Time will tell.

I'm not sure what you mean. How will time tell?

BTW on what grounds do you say that scripture is more important than direct revelation?

I'm not sure what you mean. How will time tell?

Depends on the circumstances. If someone said God had told them they will be the next Prime Minister then time will tell.
    BTW on what grounds do you say that scripture is more important than direct revelation?
    Christians believe the Bible to be inspired by God, and as such to be authoritative. Therefore Scripture is an objective revelation rather than any other method which is subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Depends on the circumstances. If someone said God had told them they will be the next Prime Minister then time will tell.
    Well not really. I suppose it would have to be something that the person themselves has no control over. Which, strangely, it never is.
    Christians believe the Bible to be inspired by God, and as such to be authoritative. Therefore Scripture is an objective revelation rather than any other method which is subjective.
    I know that.

I'm asking why you believe that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Hearing voices is one symptom of many. Most responsible doctors would try to see if a variety of symtoms were involved.

Coughing can be a symptom of lung cancer - but we do not send somebody to get x-rayed every time they clear their throat.

We do not simply accept such a claim as authentic. If anyone claims that God is saying something (irrespective of whether they refer to an audible voice, an inner conviction, or simply that God put good ideas in their head) we test it by Scripture. Does it square with Biblical teaching (obviously using standard theological grammatical-historical interpretation of Scripture rather than the Wicknightian variety)?

Even then there is still a "wait and see" attitude. Maybe they did hear from God. Maybe they didn't. Time will tell.
    Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

This forum is for the discussion of Christian belief. Therefore it is perfectly reasonable for Christians to state their Beliefs. :rolleyes:

You are free to go on the A&A forum and state your beliefs as much as you like. I won't comment at all unless you misrepresent Christianity, make untrue statements, or 'invite' a response by exceptionally poor use of logic.

Meh, its only a message board. Who really gives a damn?

I know that.

I'm asking why you believe that.

To discuss that we would have to go over the arguments for biblical inspiration, authority, inerrancy etc. (which has been discussed several times in other threads). We could resurrect one of those or start a new one.

The fact is that people have limited knowledge and a sinful human nature. In my experience Christians have a tendency to confuse their own will with God's will sometimes. Therefore anyone who claims to have had a direct revelation from God can expect a degree of scepticism.

For example, I remember one Christian youth group where three of the guys were convinced that God had told them that they would marry Lucinda. (Lucinda just happened to be drop dead gorgeous). I've also noticed that people always blame God when they want to leave and go to a different church. Sometimes God changes his mind a few months later so they come back to our church again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

This forum is for the discussion of Christian belief.....I won't comment at all unless you.....'invite' a response by exceptionally poor use of logic.

The debate here has lasted for over 9600 posts - it has required opposing views to generate such a volume of posts. If you wish to limit the thread to those with a Christian point of view, the thread will close because you will be talking to yourselves. An excellent example of exceptionally poor use of logic.

Eschatologist said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    The difference lies in how we respond to the message of the gospel. If we just say, "That's an interesting view, and seems a good way to live. What harm can it do?" and adopt the Christian religion. No real change of heart has occurred, no coming to God in repentance and faith, just an impersonal religious adherence. That is not being a Christian.

Why not, why are you assuming it's impersonal? You're putting words in my mouth - apologies if you felt I was alluding to the casual Sunday church-goer who sins the rest of the week. But a person coming to the religion who accepts the teachings and word of Christ and tries to live a good life by those ideals is not a Christian? To me that is coming to God; I think it might be you who has the skewed view of what a Christian is.
    Coming to means a personal encounter in one's spirit; praying to God, believing Him to exist, accepting His terms of service, being truly sorry for the offences we commited against Him, bowing to Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, depending on His atonement alone for our righteousness. So it depends on what you mean by coming to God - if you mean speaking to God in repentance and faith, then we are agreed. If you mean adopting a new set of rules, however sincerely, then we differ.
    I never said that people were taking up Christianity to conform to the masses, though of course this does happen. I asked if a person who came to Christianity who followed Jesus and his teachings was a real Christian, and you've basically repeated that in more eloquent terms - same difference. If one follows his teachings and thus genuinely feels bad about things they've done and acknowledges that, are they a Christian then?
    As above.
    Perhaps I'm wrong but the main difference I'm seeing between our Christian definitions is sin and eternal damnation. All I see when I read those words is "Subscribe to this religion because it is the only true religion (never mind that it can't be shown that it is) based on a book written by people (who may or may not have heard voices and had little science) which can save you from an eternity of torment because you are an inherently wicked person based on what two people did in Eden all those years ago... but oh, you have to really repent and not just don the religious mask. Merely leading a good life and being a decent person is not enough." That pretty much sums up my view.
    Accurate enough, except for your comments.
    No matter how you dress it up, it reeks of control and fear tactics.
    God is entitled to control, and we are wise to fear Him. Since He controls us for our good and inspires fear for the same reason - to keep us from wickedness - I have no problem with that. I do have a problem if humans seek to control others and inspire fear of themselves, in the name of religion. The true faith is voluntary and cannot be imposed.
    Quote:
    God likewise is at work - opening my heart to understand and love His commands, comforting and strengthening me in all my struggles against the world, the flesh (my old nature) and the devil. The real Christian speaks with God in prayer and God speaks to him in His Word and by His Spirit.

That's a very nice sentiment, but I'm sure all those fake Christians out there who pray and don't hear voices or feel a warm feeling in their heart also derive comfort from their prayer and lead better lives for it.
    It's not a matter of feelings so much as really believing one is speaking to God. Sometimes He answers and we sense it; many times He doesn't but we know that He has heard.
    I'm really not feeling the whole 'repent or be damned' ideal. If I'm content and live a good life that should be enough;
    Yes, the Pharisee thought so too:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2018:9-14%20;&version=50;
    I shouldn't have to feel guilty about that for the sake of a higher being who may or may not exist who is in my opinion a construct of man. I'm willing to bet it's a real minority who genuinely repent and believe or trust fully in God etc. and so are safe from the eternal hellfires.
    Yes, a minority:
    Matthew 7:13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Luke 13:23 Then one said to Him, “Lord, are there few who are saved?”
    And He said to them, 24 “Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest that I'm in the majority - it is utterly silly and pointless for a god to put all that evidence out there for an old Earth and an old Universe,
    The evidence is the same for a young Earth and young Universe - just the interpretation differs.
    to give us the means to look at the world as it is and develop the scientific method, and still expect blind faith - is He testing us??
    Creationist scientists rejoice in the scientific method, but do not share evolutionary interpretations. So God expects us to look at the universe and see His eternal power and Godhead as the explanation, not cold chance.
    The bible is not infallible. Two words: artistic license.
    The Bible is infallible. Four words: by inspiration of God. 2 Timothy 3:16.

• Advertisement

Minder wrote: »
    The debate here has lasted for over 9600 posts - it has required opposing views to generate such a volume of posts. If you wish to limit the thread to those with a Christian point of view, the thread will close because you will be talking to yourselves. An excellent example of exceptionally poor use of logic.

If you had read the last few posts you would have seen where I stated that those from a non-Christian point of view are welcome. All I ask is that they present some kind of evidence or logic to support their views.

BTW, I don't think the thread would close because Christians have opposing views on Creationism. However, that is a moot point since no-one has suggested limiting it to those with a Christian point of view. I would not presume to take such a step. My own personal inclination would be to euthanise the thread - but by now it has become a national treasure and is certainly bigger than any mod, least of all a newbie. So I think it is good for another 9000 posts or so.

daithifleming said:
    Quote:
    What you and your friends believe makes no difference to what actually is.

You are right, the masses of evidence which shows the bible to be a load of nonsense is more important that individual beliefs.
    We differ on the interpretation of the evidence.
    Quote:
    Saying we cannot know all things is no excuse for not knowing what we can - as even the lives of scientists demonstrates.

Indeed, but one cannot know God, if he/she/it exists.
    I do. Millions of others do. Why is it an article of faith with you that spiritual reality cannot be known?
    Quote:
    You choose to believe God is unknowable - indeed, you go on to assert that you know He doesn't exist. Hardly a logical conclusion - just a very flawed human fabrication.

Indeed, it is just my opinion, but at least i justify my logic based on the evidence i see, instead of what i hope is true.
    So the evidence you see tells you that God cannot be known/does not exist? Please tell us what this evidence is. Many unbelievers would say they have seen no evidence for God's existence, but not that they have seen evidence He doesn't/can't be known.

If it is up to him how do you tell that it isn't him?

If it was genuinely God how would he do it?
    If the voice/impression/ etc. contradicts the Bible it is not God speaking.

God has spoken audibly to man in the past, has given them insight into the right course, impressed on them what they ought to do, etc. Some saw visions accomanying a voice; others heard neither voice or vision, but in their hearts knew God was directing them.

I don't recall ever hearing a voice, but I do remember God speaking to my heart and telling me things I needed to know. Those things turned out to be true.

wolfsbane wrote: »
    If the voice/impression/ etc. contradicts the Bible it is not God speaking.

Oh, how delightedly convenient.

If the voice says something good, it is god.

If the voice says something bad, it is insanity.

:rolleyes:

Which would tend to be consistent with a belief that God is good.

AtomicHorror said:
    The fear of death is a requirement of any feeling self-replicating entity. I fear it not because of any sophisticated philosophical concept, nor the damnation you would try to worry me with, and shame on you for that. I fear it because hundreds of millions of years worth of my ancestors had to fear it for me to exist.
    I'm not of course referring to the fear of physical death in itself, but to the judgement that follows it.
    Quote:
    Yes, that is at least temporarily fulfilling. But others would be just as fulfilled by rape & pillage. Objective good is what you really need; don't be satisfied with less.

We are temporary, so temporary fulfillment is perfectly adequate.
    You hope we are temporary - but if not, you face the just Judge unprepared.
    Those fulfilled by rape and pillage are not wrong because God says so; they are wrong because the majority of humans find such things to be objectionable for many worthy reasons. These things are crimes in godless (from your perspective) cultures.
    So a majority vote makes something moral/immoral? Ancient culture burnt their children alive as sacrifices to their gods; modern cultures cut them up in the womb: approved by the majority in both cases.
    There is no objective morality- it is an invention created to satisfy our need for justice on some astral plane when justice cannot be had. Instead, there are 6.5 billion subjective moralities. The closest thing to an objective sense that exists is the sum average of these expressed through laws.

This does not invalidate "right and wrong", it strengthens them. They are concepts that we arrive at through consensus and debate, through the purifying fire of generations of scrutiny. Not some absolute, context-free imperitives zapped onto stone slabs by a being of incredible power and indeterminate motive.
    So one generation approves female circumcision and another deplores it - but both are moral? Or abortion? Or kidnapping and enslavement of weaker tribes? As long as it is OK with the majority.
    I don't have a religion. I have skepticism. As for religions, they all claim to be the real one. We've been through that before- nothing you've said makes yours stand apart from the others.
    Hmm. So you are open to the idea that my God just might be the one true god?
    Quote:
    You hypothesise that there is no verifiable objective meaning - but what if you are wrong?

Then it would be verifiable. I cannot think of a way to test this. Perhaps you can verify it to my satisfaction? Quoting from the bible would not fulfill my criteria.
    I can't verify it for you - that is something you must do for yourself, as it is a spiritual matter. Seek and you will find - if you are serious about it.
    Quote:
    What if the God revealed in the Bible is the real centre of meaning for the universe?

What if you and I are both living in defiance of Zeus? An old-school vengeful god... I'd be much more worried about him than I'd be about a forgiving God.
    God doesn't forgive those who don't repent. I know I'm living in defiance of Zeus and all other pseudo-gods. You're not sure.
    Quote:
    If so, you are living in rebellion against Him and an eternity of darkness awaits you.

It is logically impossible to rebel against an omnipotent intelligence. Every detail of my being would be created by such a being and/or controllable by Him. He might forbid himself to interfere with my free will but He would have had to have had considerable input by action or inaction into how my skeptical nature came to be.
    Yes, He created you and controls you ultimately - your rebellion is tolerated by Him for the time being. If you refuse His offer of mercy, your fault is your own.
    I will thank you not to threaten me with eternal darkness. I'm sure you wouldn't want me to become a convert through fear?
    I'm not threatening you - God is. Read the Bible and you can't mistake it. Jesus spoke more of Hell than any other man. He spoke to warn us all and to call us to repentance that we might inherit eternal life.
    Quote:
    Why not earnestly seek Him, to see if what the gospel says is true?

I gave it a try. And I return to the question occasionally- the world view is appealing after all. I always come to the same conclusion.
    I said earnestly, not speculatively or occasionally.
    So to counter... why not, just for a day perhaps, consider the possibility that I am correct? That God was invented by people as they emerged into self awareness and needed to quell the fears that arose from their interaction with a world that was, at the time, just beyond their comprehension. To dispell their uncertainties surrounding death, thus allowing them to function without catatonic fear. To satisfy the sense of justice, which originated in our primate ancestors (and indeed is still observable in them) and which has been so frequently offended throughout human history with no earthly resolutions. To explain the complex behavior of the heavens. To justify our use of animals as "lesser" beings when our contradictory sense of fairness might have otherwise prevailed and left us to starve. For countless reasons in the absence of full knowledge of the world and of the scientific method. And most importantly because without it, our likelyhood to reproduce was reduced and so the non-believers were selected against by evolution.
    I did. I was born that way and raised in a non-religious home. Religion was for do-gooders and hypocrites. 'We're here because we're here' did it for me. Until I considered the universe before me and the kindness/injustices of life - then I began to consider there might indeed be a Creator. Weighed against my previous world-view, it made more sense. But that was not the deciding factor - God had to impress on my heart that He was true, that the Bible was His word and that it called me to Him.
    Or less than all of this. Consider merely that nothing specific to your religion may be demonstrated as true.
    It has been to me.
    Consider this for a while. When the fear comes, don't jump back to the safe place just yet. Push through a little while. Remind yourself of what is good in your life that does not need God.
    How do you know it doesn't need God? What if your every breath comes only by His goodness? You just want to accept the gift and dismiss the idea that there might be a Giver.

:rolleyes:
    Glad you acknowledge the Bible commands only that which is good. :D

I did not say If the voice says something good, it is god. It might be of God. But I might so want to do something that is good in itself - say, give £1000 to feed the hungry in India - that I work myself into an emotional state and think my concern is God showing me what to do. God, however, might want me to give it to the Christian Blind Mission to treat river-blindness in Africa, or whatever. We have to prayerfully test even good desires.

But can be certain that any bad desires are not of God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Eschatologist

Thanks for the comments wolfsbane, I feel somewhat clearer on your stance and definitions.
    The evidence is the same for a young Earth and young Universe - just the interpretation differs.

Differing interpretations of the available data to provide explanations is fine and the scientific method encourages that; but after that the interpretation must stand up to repeated scrutiny and testing. As a model, an interpretation must make accurate predictions which themselves can be tested and verified - as a geologist I can say with certainty for myself, my colleagues in my field, indeed the majority of scientists that a young Earth explanation from a geological perspective at the very least falls flat, I see few to no consistencies with the evidence unless you carefully pick and choose the science that suits any given argument.

My geology musings here are often ignored, vague replies are given instead or supposed fallacies, old ages for young rocks for example, are quoted back at me in defiance despite the fact that I've given logical and verified evidence for why this occurs and backed it up with peer-reviewed papers.
    Creationist scientists rejoice in the scientific method, but do not share evolutionary interpretations. So God expects us to look at the universe and see His eternal power and Godhead as the explanation, not cold chance.

Nothing to me about an old Earth, old universe or evolution is cold to me. Despite the fact that I don't believe in the God of the bible or any other gods does not devalue my own sense of self-worth. I certainly don't care if everything came about by chance - it only makes me realise how amazing and precious the universe is and my understanding from science only increases this.
    The Bible is infallible. Four words: by inspiration of God. 2 Timothy 3:16.

I don't believe that! Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Just taught I'd say the debate has taken a turn for the better over recent pages, much more stimulating than constantly arguing over floods and dinosaurs*.

Just a question, when people say 'God told me' in what way do they mean he told them?
    Did it happen in a dream, while they were awake or did he tell them through various signs, things they noticed?
    I know its probably different from case to case, but what's the general consensus?

*Not that I don't love dinosaurs, its just the debate was going around in circles.

Just taught I'd say the debate has taken a turn for the better over recent pages, much more stimulating than constantly arguing over floods and dinosaurs*.
    I guess we're discussing the 'Bible' and 'Prophecy' bits of the thread's title, not just the 'Creationism' parts.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Just a question, when people say 'God told me' in what way do they mean he told them?
    Did it happen in a dream, while they were awake or did he tell them through various signs, things they noticed?
    I know its probably different from case to case, but what's the general consensus?
    I've come across many different ways that people feel God is speaking to them.

1. Through the Bible. Of course Christians believe that all of the Bible is God speaking to us, but there are times when a particular verse or phrase seems to almost jump out of the page at you. That can be God focusing your attention on something He wants you to especially take note of.

2. Through a powerful sense of urgency in our minds. There are times when Christians find that a thought or idea impresses itself on their mind in a powerful way. For example, a friend of mine recently woke up in the middle of the night with a powerful urge to pray for his grandchild. He later discovered that she had undergone a severe medical crisis at that same hour. Some would say that was coincidence - but my friend is convinced it was God speaking to him and directing him to pray.

3. Through the advice of other people. We would believe that God can order our affairs so that wise people cross our paths and give us good advice.

4. Through visions or dreams, either while awake or asleep.

5. Through preaching. There are times when people come up after I have preached and say, "I know there were 500 other people here today - but I just feel as if God intended that message specially for me." (Of course there may be dozens of others who felt it was boring and irrelevant - but they are too nice to say so. :) )

6. Through our rational thought processes. I have been unable to authenticate this as a genuine quote by John Wesley, but I heard it attributed to him: "The way that God usually tells me to do something is by putting good reasons into my head as to why I should do it."

7. Through supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit such as prophecy. This is where one Christian, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, may speak a message that purports to be from God, often even framed in the first person singular, "For I, the Lord, say unto you... etc."
    I should add that not all Christians believe that this kind of prophecy still occurs today. I am especially suspicious of people who deliver such messages in Elizabethan English as if God got stuck in a time warp back then.

8. Some people see things as signs. eg: "If the next vehicle that comes down the road is a red Volkswagen then that's a sign that I'm to become a priest." While this is not necessarily a symptom of clinical insanity, I would certainly see it as indicative of extreme stupidity.

9. Finally, and most infrequently, you will find the occasional person who claims that God spoke to them in an audible voice.

All of these claimed revelations must be measured and tested to see if they are consistent with the overall message and meaning of Scripture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    There are ONLY two basic hypotheses for the origin of life.....

EITHER life was created/evolved/designed by an 'Intelligence'

OR life was created/evolved/designed 'spontanously' by exclusively materialistic means

.....so showing one basic hypothesis (materialism) to be false DOES prove the alternative ('Intelligence') hypothesis to be true!!!!

Originally Posted by bonkey
    This holds true if you can show that there are and can be no other possibilities.Can you do so?

Originally Posted by J C
    It holds true until somebody shows that there IS another possibility.....

Can you do so?

Bonkey
    If one cannot show that the options presented cover the entire range of possible options, then one cannot claim that the range of options presented covers the entire range of possible options.

More correctly...as you have adequately demonstrated, one can most certainly make the claim, but the claim holds no water. The most obvious third option - which you conveniently ignore - is "or some third option we haven't considered yet".
    In Science we can only deal with current valid hypotheses…..and a mythical "third option we haven't considered yet"….. or even defined......is just a pious hope on the part of materialists…..and it has no scientific or logical validity.:)

You have conceded that the hypothesis (that life was created/evolved/designed 'spontanously' by exclusively materialistic means) is invalid…….
    …..and therefore the only alternative hypothesis currently extant is that life was created/evolved/designed by an 'Intelligence'!!!:pac::)

wrote:
    Bonkey
    Its the same problem you have with woodpeckers...that we cannot (currently) define the missing intermediate states does not mean that those states could not exist.
    Something that we have never observed and for which we cannot even imagine functional intermediates or how it could have occurred…….can be safely assumed to have NEVER occurred!!!:D

…..so Woodpeckers DIDN’T evolve their trans-cranial tongues…….but were created complete with their amazing tongues ex nihilo!!!

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    ......it took nearly 100 years for Evolutionists to finally jettison Ernst Haeckel's invalid belief that "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny"!!!!

bonkey
    Tell me...what was the last thing Creationists admitted to getting something wrong,
    ……we are Human…..so we can err…….but because ‘Molecules to Man Evolution’ is invalid, to start with…….Evolutionists are pre-disposed to error……it’s actually an ever-present reality for them!!! :eek:

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    The fact that Christians are to be found amongst ALL nations and peoples on Earth suggests that there is much more than Geography at work here!!

Galvasean
    The invention of the boat and airplane helped their migration. Or did they just start appearing spontaneously (you seem to have an affinity for that word)?
    Boats have been around since the Flood……..and the only people who continue to believe in the spontaneous generation of genetic information are Evolutionists!!!:)

wrote:
    Hot Dog
    "Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as unlearned men"

St Augustine
    Many Creation Scientists are leading conventional scientists of exceptional ability.....and therefore St. Augustine’s quote has no relevance for Creation Science!!!
    ……but could his comments have some relevance for latter day Theistic Evolutionists, I wonder???!!!!!!:)

wrote:
    PDN
    I don't think the thread would close because Christians have opposing views on Creationism.
    …….as the Theistic Evolutionists have been remarkably silent during the last 7,000 posts (after an initial flurry at the start of the thread)…….
    ......the thread might well have ‘run out of steam’ if the Atheists hadn't continued the debate !!!!
    .....and kept me engaged in pointing out their logical and scientific 'own goals'!!!:d

wrote:
    Eschatologist
    How very typical. You haven't backed anyone into a corner, and citing the science which backs your claim while ignoring all other evidence is blatantly unscientific. 'Invalid evolutionist hypotheses'? Ha! You've yet to produce a geologic model that makes any sense. Yes I'm sure my, Hot Dog's and riftfiends geologic points haven't backed you into a corner, oh no...

By the way, I'm a geologist not an evolutionist - I'm no more an 'evolutionist' than I am a 'plate tectonicist'
    Huh......or should that be .....Hah!!!!:)

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    ......the Evolutionist Research has been ongoing for over 100 years....so when will you ‘call it a day’ and accept that Spontaneous Evolution is simply invalid.....and 'more research' will only invalidate it even further!!!

.......I would, if I was defending a 'smaller corner'......but the only ones in a corner on this thread are the hundreds of Evolutionists who have thrown ALL they had at me.....and acted as an aid memoire by listing every invalid Evolutionist hypothesis known to Man....

Hot Dog
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    Objective reality IS reality…….and your substitution of your own personal ‘reality’ …….is NOT reality!!:)

wrote:
    Killbot 2000
    But how do I know which religion to choose, especially with the choice I have, not to mention the contradictions between them?
    ……when it comes to Religion you simply ‘pay your money and take your choice!!!

The Christian FAITH is a saving FAITH in Jesus Christ…….and you are entirely free to believe on Jesus ……or not …..as you prefer.

wrote:
    Killbot 2000
    In terms of my point about geography, you would have to admit that it has a huge role to play in determining what religion a person believes in.
    Geography can have a significant impact on the promulgation of religion.

The Christian Faith is divinely ordained and geography has little influence on it……Saved Christians are to be found amongst all peoples and nations!!!

wrote:
    Killbot 2000
    Gravity is not observable, by that I mean I do not observe the force itself only its effects.

Ditto with God.....at the moment ......and in our current corporeal state!!!!!!

wrote:
    Killbot 2000
    Your main point about "forensic science" states that it is based on logic, but religion is not logic based it is faith based and as such has nothing to say about the universe. I can accept the logic of philosophy in explaining the world around me but not faith based religion.
    Perhaps the following distinctions may help….

Religion is a system of rules and/or philosophy.

Christianity is Faith…..

……and Creation Science is Science. :)

wrote:
    Killbot 2000
    Why do you insist on grouping evolution and abiogenesis? Yes evolution is dependent on such a phenomenon, but it is also utterly dependent on the big bang theory and stellar nucleosynthesis and planetary formation etc.

……and all these ‘dependencies’ utterly invalidates Spontaneous Materialistic Evolution!!!!!:):D

I don't even read JC's posts anymore...

wrote:
    Killbot 2000
    This point may be getting repetitive but I feel it is a good one. Why do cetaceans have non functional terrestrial olfactory genes if not due to their descent from a terrestrial ancestor?
    How do you know that these are terrestrial olfactory genes……or even that they are ‘non-functional’??

The fact that superficially similar genes control the smell sense in other creatures DOESN’T mean that they have a similar function in Cetaceans!!!:)

wrote:
    Killbot 2000
    There is no way that an intelligent designer is going to insert such a set of genes into the collective genomes of the group.
    Why????

wrote:
    pH

This is my favourite:

"Testing the Hydrothermal Fluid Transport Model for Polonium Radiohalo Formation: The Thunderhead Sandstone, Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee–North Carolina

by Andrew A. Snelling

The meta-arkoses of the Thunderhead Sandstone in the Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina contain both detrital zircon grains and metamorphic biotite flakes in all zones of regional metamorphism. The original sandstones after deposition would have contained water. Furthermore, the reaction responsible for the mineralogical changes at the staurolite isograd would have produced large volumes of water. Thus it was predicted that during the regional metamorphism these waters as hydrothermal fluids should have transported Po from the zircon grains to the biotite flakes to generate Po radiohalos in the latter. Also, the greater volume of hydrothermal fluids at the staurolite isograd should have generated more Po radiohalos there. Both predictions were verified, with four–five times more Po radiohalos in the meta-arkoses straddling the staurolite isograd. These results also verify the hydrothermal fluid transport model for Po radiohalo formation. It was concluded that the regional metamorphism, the hydrothermal fluid flows, the cooling of the regional metamorphic complex, and the formation of the Po radiohalos all had to have occurred within a few weeks. This is feasible in the context of catastrophic plate tectonics and grossly accelerated 238U decay during the Genesis Flood.
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/arj/v1/n1/testing-radiohalos-model

It seems to be mainly anti-geology
    It seems to be ‘cutting edge’ Geology actually……did you read it fully???

….and BTW if you still believe in the ‘sacred cow’ of static nuclear decay rates here is a group of conventional physicists who have discovered that decay rates are NOT constant……and million year half lives can be slashed to ‘thousands of years’ ……thereby presenting opportunities for easier handling of nuclear waste…..and you can read about it here
    http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/25446

…..and you can read about Accelerated Nuclear Decay here
    http://creationwiki.org/Accelerated_decay

….and a United States Patent has been granted on a Nuclear Decay ACCELERATOR!!
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5076971.html

....and here is a peer reviewed Creation Science paper which uses Kaluza-Klein theory, to evaluate how nuclear decay could vary. Kaluza-Klein theory synthesises Einstein’s gravitation theory with Maxwell’s equations of electricity and magnetism.
    Kaluza and Klein anticipated modern string theory, by adding a fifth dimension of space. They concluded that the relationship between G and the Fine Structure Constant depends on the circumference of the compactified fifth dimension.
    The paper has concluded that "variation in this circumference over the history of the universe could be viewed as variation in physical constants, such as the fine structure constant. If, during early creation week, say before the creation of man, such variations were to occur, they could lead to accelerated nuclear decay, thus adjusting isotopic abundances, without giving humans an unacceptable dose of radiation."
    http://creationresearch.org/crsq/articles/37/37_1/chaffin/acceldecay.html

.....sounds like nuclear decay is not constant at all.....and can vary by many orders of magnitude!!!!
    wrote:
    Dathifleming
    the masses of evidence which shows the bible to be a load of nonsense is more important that individual beliefs.
    What evidence????

wrote:
    Atomichorror
    The fear of death is a requirement of any feeling self-replicating entity. I fear it not because of any sophisticated philosophical concept, nor the damnation you would try to worry me with, and shame on you for that. I fear it because hundreds of millions of years worth of my ancestors had to fear it for me to exist.
    Animals DON’T fear DEATH in the abstract…..they will flee from DANGER alright…….but ONLY (unsaved) Humans fear death.......and it's aftermath!!!:eek:

wrote:
    Atomichorror
    We are temporary, so temporary fulfillment is perfectly adequate.
    …..and if you are wrong, you will have an eternity to ponder your ‘temporary fulfilment’!!!

wrote:
    Atomichorror
    There is no objective morality- it is an invention created to satisfy our need for justice on some astral plane when justice cannot be had. Instead, there are 6.5 billion subjective moralities. The closest thing to an objective sense that exists is the sum average of these expressed through laws.
    …..so 6.5 billion 'subjective moralities' somehow add up to 'an objective sense'....of WHAT???:confused:

wrote:
    Atomichorror
    This does not invalidate "right and wrong", it strengthens them. They are concepts that we arrive at through consensus and debate, through the purifying fire of generations of scrutiny. Not some absolute, context-free imperitives zapped onto stone slabs by a being of incredible power and indeterminate motive.
    ……the concepts of ‘right and wrong’ vary over time and space and between people…….what was considered to be ‘right’ twenty years ago may be ‘wrong’ now…..and vice versa……..so, as you have said, we have no objective, context-free imperatives ……..and therefore the absolute concepts of 'right and wrong' don't actually exist independently of God!!!

wrote:
    Atomichorror
    I will thank you not to threaten me with eternal darkness. I'm sure you wouldn't want me to become a convert through fear?
    Nobody is ‘threatening’ you with eternal perdition………Woilfsbane was merely pointing out that it COULD be a possibility!!!

Only God can judge your Eternal Destiny…….and only YOU can choose it!!!!:)

wrote:
    daitifleming

Ancient serpent shows its leg

"In most cases, we can't find digits; but that may be because they are not preserved or because, as this is a vestigial leg, they were never present."

To modern eyes, it may seem strange to think of a snake with legs.

But look at some of the more primitive modern snakes, such as boas and pythons, and you'll see evidence of their legged ancestry - tiny "spurs" sited near their ends, which today are used as grippers during sex.

……The stumpy hind-limb is only 2cm (0.8in) long, and was presumably utterly useless to the animal in life.”

Can't wait to see AiG's wacky explanation for this
    ……so a snake with a pair of sexual ‘grippers’ (just like modern Boas and Pythons) was found fossilised……well surprise, surprise…….a snake with a pair of copulatory ‘grippers’ that was drowned in Noah’s Food!!!!!:eek::D

wrote:
    Galvasean
    Wow, another 'missing link'. Creationists always claim we haven't found any, but we seem to find at least one new one every year!
    …..at least one new one ever year……..you don’t say!!!!:eek:

……so here we have a pair of sex ‘grippers’……..on a SNAKE……..that are less than an inch long!!!!!!!!!:eek:

......and HOW does a one inch 'sexual appendage' qualify as a 'missing link'???

BTW thanks for using your signature to popularise the Triceratops / Rhinoceros equivalence!!!!
    …..an Indian Rhinoceros would be the nearest living relative of the Triceratops….you might consider adjusting your signature accordingly.:D

wrote:
    PDN
    I'm very happy for atheists to point out why they disagree with anything that another poster has stated. So, for example, you may want to point out what you see as inconsistencies in a post by Wolfsbane or by JC. You may also want to point out scientific evidence or physical phenomena that, in your opinion, invalidates their points.
    ……..NOBODY has successfully challenged either myself or Wolfsbane on ANY substantive point yet…..
    …….so you might want to consider using a better example to illustrate your point!!!;):)

wrote:
    PDN
    I remember one Christian youth group where three of the guys were convinced that God had told them that they would marry Lucinda. (Lucinda just happened to be drop dead gorgeous). I've also noticed that people always blame God when they want to leave and go to a different church. Sometimes God changes his mind a few months later so they come back to our church again.
    …..or perhaps they return because they ALSO hope to marry Lucinda?????:eek::D

I don't even read JC's posts anymore...

.....you're probably the only one that doesn't....

.....Ostrich + Sand = a very exposed Bird!!!!:eek::pac::):D

......and I always read your posts!!!:)

.....go on, go on, go on......you will, you will......go on, go on.............GO ON!!!!:eek::pac::):D
    ....and read my posts!!

J C wrote: »
    .....you're probably the only one that doesn't....

.....Ostrich + Sand = a very exposed Bird!!!!:eek::pac::):D

......and I always read your posts!!!:)

They are just boring JC, same old exclamation marks and millions of dots and smiley faces, hiding the fact that there is no argument to read. If you are an academic, why not start behaving like one on here?

Eschatologist said:
    Thanks for the comments wolfsbane, I feel somewhat clearer on your stance and definitions.
    Thanks to you too - it is good to teasle out what others actually think rather than what we think they think.

Hey, I find that it also helps me know what I think, rather than what I think I think! :D
    Differing interpretations of the available data to provide explanations is fine and the scientific method encourages that; but after that the interpretation must stand up to repeated scrutiny and testing. As a model, an interpretation must make accurate predictions which themselves can be tested and verified - as a geologist I can say with certainty for myself, my colleagues in my field, indeed the majority of scientists that a young Earth explanation from a geological perspective at the very least falls flat, I see few to no consistencies with the evidence unless you carefully pick and choose the science that suits any given argument.

My geology musings here are often ignored, vague replies are given instead or supposed fallacies, old ages for young rocks for example, are quoted back at me in defiance despite the fact that I've given logical and verified evidence for why this occurs and backed it up with peer-reviewed papers.
    We certainly accept that the Creationist case is a tiny minority amongst this world's scientists. But let me suggest that the 'evident' strength of any one's position leads them to the same conclusions: that the opposing case at the very least falls flat, and one sees few to no consistencies with the evidence unless you carefully pick and choose the science that suits any given argument. That applies across the board, to debates among scientists outside of the creation/evolution issue. So I'm saying one should hold scientific hypotheses lightly, being open to the idea one may be mistaken.

I'm sorry I can't engage directly with your geological arguments, or even assess how compelling they are. All I can do is point you to the articles by the Creationist geologists who may deal with the issues.

Here's an example. You wrote:
    The ice ages too: 6000 years isn't nearly long enough to account for all of them, considering what we know about how orbital cycles affect the climate. And let's not forget those ancient Huronian ice ages and the Proterozoic snowballs/slushballs. Looks like the Earth must have oscillated rapidly between the planet-melting runaway tectonics and the freezing ice sheets, and all in 6000 years...
    I did a search on creationontheweb.com and the first that took my eye was an on-line book, written at a popular level but seems to me to deal with some of the issues:
    Geologists have claimed that these features have been found in ancient
    rock layers, proving that there had been previous ice ages over geologic
    time. Many lines of evidence now indicate that the observations have
    been misinterpreted:3
    • The ‘tillites’ of lower rock layers are small in area, commonly thick,
    and probably all of marine origin, whereas those of modern glaciers
    are relatively large in area, thin and continental.
    • There are limestones and dolomites frequently associated with these
    ‘tillites’—carbonates which form today in warm water, not cold.
    • The largest boulders in the ancient ‘tillites’ are much smaller than the
    larger boulders being deposited by glacial action today.
    • Underwater mass flows can produce tillite-like deposits, as well as
    striated bedrock and striated stones in the ‘tillite’. Such mass flows
    would be expected during Noah’s Flood.
    • Turbidity currents can deposit varve-like laminated sediments very
    quickly.6 These sediments are more accurately called rhythmites. A
    varve is defined as a rhythmite deposited in one year. Lambert and
    Hsu have presented evidence from a Swiss lake that such varve-like
    rhythmites form rapidly by catastrophic, turbid water underflows.7
    At one location, five couplets of these varve-like rhythmites formed
    during a single year. At Mount St Helens in the USA, an 8 m (25 ft)
    thick stratified deposit consisting of many thin varve-like laminae was
    formed in less than one day (June 12, 1980).8 Flow tank experiments
    have shown how laminations can form rapidly when two different
    grain sizes are carried together in flowing water.9
    • The so-called ‘dropstones’ could not have been dropped into the ancient
    ‘varvites’10 because such a method of placement would result
    in tell-tale disturbance of the laminations, which is rarely observed.
    The evidence suggests they were placed with the enclosing sediments
    by turbidity currents or other mass flows—again consistent with what
    would be expected during a global Flood. In other words the ‘varvites’
    did not come from cyclical, annual, glacial lake deposition.

http://creationontheweb.com/images/pdfs/cabook/chapter16.pdf

But for more technical material see sites such as:
    Research Papers
    http://www.icr.org/research/index/researchp_papers/

Selected Articles
    http://creationresearch.org/crsq/articles_chron.htm

I guess we're discussing the 'Bible' and 'Prophecy' bits of the thread's title, not just the 'Creationism' parts.

I've come across many different ways that people feel God is speaking to them.

1. Through the Bible. Of course Christians believe that all of the Bible is God speaking to us, but there are times when a particular verse or phrase seems to almost jump out of the page at you. That can be God focusing your attention on something He wants you to especially take note of.

2. Through a powerful sense of urgency in our minds. There are times when Christians find that a thought or idea impresses itself on their mind in a powerful way. For example, a friend of mine recently woke up in the middle of the night with a powerful urge to pray for his grandchild. He later discovered that she had undergone a severe medical crisis at that same hour. Some would say that was coincidence - but my friend is convinced it was God speaking to him and directing him to pray.

3. Through the advice of other people. We would believe that God can order our affairs so that wise people cross our paths and give us good advice.

4. Through visions or dreams, either while awake or asleep.

5. Through preaching. There are times when people come up after I have preached and say, "I know there were 500 other people here today - but I just feel as if God intended that message specially for me." (Of course there may be dozens of others who felt it was boring and irrelevant - but they are too nice to say so. :) )

6. Through our rational thought processes. I have been unable to authenticate this as a genuine quote by John Wesley, but I heard it attributed to him: "The way that God usually tells me to do something is by putting good reasons into my head as to why I should do it."

7. Through supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit such as prophecy. This is where one Christian, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, may speak a message that purports to be from God, often even framed in the first person singular, "For I, the Lord, say unto you... etc."
    I should add that not all Christians believe that this kind of prophecy still occurs today. I am especially suspicious of people who deliver such messages in Elizabethan English as if God got stuck in a time warp back then.

8. Some people see things as signs. eg: "If the next vehicle that comes down the road is a red Volkswagen then that's a sign that I'm to become a priest." While this is not necessarily a symptom of clinical insanity, I would certainly see it as indicative of extreme stupidity.

9. Finally, and most infrequently, you will find the occasional person who claims that God spoke to them in an audible voice.

All of these claimed revelations must be measured and tested to see if they are consistent with the overall message and meaning of Scripture.
    PDN says it for me too.

They are just boring JC, same old exclamation marks and millions of dots and smiley faces, hiding the fact that there is no argument to read. If you are an academic, why not start behaving like one on here?
    You don't/won't accept that I am academically qualified......so why should I behave as such???!!!

.....anyway, Science can be fun......and Creation Science can be great 'craic'.......you should try it some time.......you might even get saved.....or meet Lucinda......or both!!!:)

....anyway it is generally true that if you laugh....the world laughs with you.....and if you cry you cry alone......

......and so, there must be many lonely Evolutionists out there.....just waiting to join the fun by becoming Creation Scientists....or by being Saved......or by meeting Lucinda......or all THREE!!!!:)

Galvasean wrote: »
    ....somewhat ironic that you have a Triceratops and a Rhino on your signature, then????!!:):D

• Advertisement

I find it intriguing that someone who doesn't even read JC's posts any more can still reply to them. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement