Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

PDN wrote: »
    I find it intriguing that someone who doesn't even read JC's posts any more can still reply to them. :confused:

One of lifes many mysteries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Which would tend to be consistent with a belief that God is good.

Can you see the issue though that skeptics (such as my good self) would take.

What you have is circular reasoning going on. God "speaks" to a Christian to demonstrated that the Bible is authoritative, based on that they hold scripture up as the measure to whether God speaking is really God.

Imagine for a minute that your God doesn't exist and everything in the Bible is actually the work of a something else that tricks or misleads (be it human or supernatural).

How would you tell since it is this entity speaking to you in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

wrote:
    Originally Posted by PDN
    I find it intriguing that someone who doesn't even read JC's posts any more can still reply to them

daithifleming
    One of lifes many mysteries...
    .....must be osmosis......or telepathy......
    ......or else he DOES read my posts.....go on Daithi, the first stage is to admit that you read my posts..........
    ......only then can you start to deal with the truth contained in them!!!!!!!!:):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Wicknight wrote: »
    Can you see the issue though that skeptics (such as my good self) would take.

What you have is circular reasoning going on. God "speaks" to a Christian to demonstrated that the Bible is authoritative, based on that they hold scripture up as the measure to whether God speaking is really God.

Imagine for a minute that your God doesn't exist and everything in the Bible is actually the work of a something else that tricks or misleads (be it human or supernatural).

How would you tell since it is this entity speaking to you in the first place?

I think we've had something akin to this conversation before. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54612313&postcount=18 My belief that the Bible is authoritative is not based on God speaking to me.

I think we've had something akin to this conversation before. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54612313&postcount=18 My belief that the Bible is authoritative is not based on God speaking to me.

Oh right. I actually thought that was a piss take. My bad.

I can go though the massive flaws with that, but possibly in another thread

{EDIT} Actually scratch that, it isn't the purpose of this tread. You have stated why you believe it, and while I think that is very silly it is your answer and to argue with you about it on this thread or even to start a new one simply because you said it would be equally silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

J C wrote: »
    ....somewhat ironic that you have a Triceratops and a Rhino on your signature, then????!!:):D

The little star thing (*) actually means something.
    That and I'm too lazy to update my sig.

BTW thanks for using your signature to popularise the Triceratops / Rhinoceros equivalence!!!!
    …..an Indian Rhinoceros would be the nearest living relative of the Triceratops….you might consider adjusting your signature accordingly.:D

While I'm at it I should also get rid of the toy Triceratops too. I think I'll just hop in the time machine I made from my fig roll wrappers and go take a photo of real one.......

edit: I forgot I couldn't take my camera back in time (Terminator logic). Nevertheless it was a fun trip!!!!!
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:cool::rolleyes::confused:
    [/b]……..NOBODY has successfully challenged either myself or Wolfsbane on ANY substantive point yet…..
    Sometimes I wonder if you are for real..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Animals DON’T fear DEATH in the abstract…..they will flee from DANGER alright…….but ONLY (unsaved) Humans fear death.......and it's aftermath!!!:eek:

The abstract fear of death is derived from our general survival fear. Any organism with Theory of Mind will develop an awareness of its mortality as a deeper concept that will trigger its survival fear. The resulting emotional crisis will significantly reduce the survival and reproductive fitness of an organism in the absence of sufficient information and philosophical interpretation. Or religion. The great irony in this thread being that it is very likely that the capacity to make faith leaps is an evolutionary advantage in many contexts (a context that is changing as our knowledge accumulates).

As to only (unsaved) humans fearing death, I would suggest that in fact that fear is at the very core of all religion.
    [/b]……..NOBODY has successfully challenged either myself or Wolfsbane on ANY substantive point yet…..

This is untrue. I and many others have challenged numerous points you've both made. You've failed to address many of these responses. It seems you'll just drop some lines of argument as soon as you have run out of answers rather than accept any possible fault.
    wolfsbane wrote: »
    I'm not of course referring to the fear of physical death in itself, but to the judgement that follows it.

Well I wasn't talking about that- I have no fear of Judgement.
    You hope we are temporary - but if not, you face the just Judge unprepared.

When did I say I hoped we are temporary? The notion of a pleasant afterlife naturally appeals to me, but that's because I'm driven to survive for the longest possible time period.
    So a majority vote makes something moral/immoral? Ancient culture burnt their children alive as sacrifices to their gods; modern cultures cut them up in the womb: approved by the majority in both cases.

It's open to debate as to whether human sacrifices have ever been approved by the majority, since historically the ruling classes have tended to be dictatorial and very much in the minority. However, I am indeed suggesting that morality is defined by the majority at a given time. In modern times we can be somewhat more confident that the moral majority are indeed having their say and making their choices it based on the best available information.
    So one generation approves female circumcision and another deplores it - but both are moral?

From our current perspective as a western democratic society, no. From any one of countless perspectives present or past, I could only speculate. From the perspective of the tolerant culture- it might well be morally right. We could only be sure of this if we were sure that the morals of the majority are in fact being expressed within that society. In the case of female circumscision, it's likely that we're talking about a dictatorial patriarchal society in which the moral views of women are largely ignored.
    Hmm. So you are open to the idea that my God just might be the one true god?

I have no idea where you got that from. It seems unlikely to me that the God you describe exists.
    I can't verify it for you - that is something you must do for yourself, as it is a spiritual matter. Seek and you will find - if you are serious about it.

You seemed rather determined to convince me, to a point.
    God doesn't forgive those who don't repent.

If, against my expectations, I find myself standing before a being claiming to be God after my death- I'll have a load of questions. If he convinces me that he's real and benevolent and is indeed the only alternative to eternity in a conscious void, I'll happily accept him at that point. You can then say you told me so at that point, but I'd be more than happy to accept this, given the cirumstances.
    I know I'm living in defiance of Zeus and all other pseudo-gods.

How do you know? How can it be proven?
    You're not sure.

For my part, I'm as sure as it is possible to be in the absence of "proof of absence". I cannot confidently say that either God or Zeus exist. It seems most likely to me that they do not, based on what I know of the world. To my mind it is equally likely that either exists, the probability of their existence being immeasurably minute and equal to the likelihood that the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists.
    Yes, He created you and controls you ultimately - your rebellion is tolerated by Him for the time being. If you refuse His offer of mercy, your fault is your own.

If his control is indeed total then my refusal to accept his existence is also under his control, by direct action or by inaction. For the supreme being to create a skeptical being and then punish him for skepticism seems just a little mean to me.
    I'm not threatening you - God is.

I don't respond well to threats, surely God would know that...

I sincerely hope that your interpretation of God does not exist. He sounds like a bully.
    I said earnestly, not speculatively or occasionally.

You assume my search was not in earnest. The basis of that assumption merely being that I have not found God.
    I did. I was born that way and raised in a non-religious home. Religion was for do-gooders and hypocrites. 'We're here because we're here' did it for me. Until I considered the universe before me and the kindness/injustices of life - then I began to consider there might indeed be a Creator. Weighed against my previous world-view, it made more sense. But that was not the deciding factor - God had to impress on my heart that He was true, that the Bible was His word and that it called me to Him.

You and I appear to have had opposite lives. Agnosticism makes more sense to me than religion, based on my knowledge.
    How do you know it doesn't need God? What if your every breath comes only by His goodness? You just want to accept the gift and dismiss the idea that there might be a Giver.

My breaths come from the movement of my diaphragm muscle (under the control of unconscious parts of my brain which monitor my blood oxygen levels) and the resulting expansion of my lungs. The most easily identifiable Givers of my life would be my parents. I appreciate them greatly for raising me well. My theories of these two features of my life do not require me to assume the existence of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

You don't/won't accept that I am academically qualified......so why should I behave as such???!!!

.....anyway, Science can be fun......and Creation Science can be great 'craic'.......you should try it some time.......you might even get saved.....or meet Lucinda......or both!!!:)

....anyway it is generally true that if you laugh....the world laughs with you.....and if you cry you cry alone......

......and so, there must be many lonely Evolutionists out there.....just waiting to join the fun by becoming Creation Scientists....or by being Saved......or by meeting Lucinda......or all THREE!!!!:)

If there is a god I hope he saves you from your continuing psychosis and hence complete mental derangement:), and who exactly is Lucinda?

stevejazzx wrote: »
    If there is a god I hope he saves you from your continuing psychosis and hence complete mental derangement:), and who exactly is Lucinda?
    ......could I gently remind you that I'm NOT the one who is claiming to be a monkey's cousin......or directly descended from a slimeball!!!!

Where have I exhibited symptoms of Psychosis.........or do you believe that all Christians are psychotic????

....and Lucinda is a member of PDN's church .......and a very beautiful young Christian woman, by all accounts!!!

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    While I'm at it I should also get rid of the toy Triceratops too. I think I'll just hop in the time machine I made from my fig roll wrappers and go take a photo of real one.......

edit: I forgot I couldn't take my camera back in time (Terminator logic). Nevertheless it was a fun trip!!!!!
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:cool::rolleyes::confused:
    ......time machines made from fig roll wrappers.......Spontaneous Evolution seems almost logical in comparison!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Hot Dog

You don't/won't accept that I am academically qualified......so why should I behave as such???!!!

What is your actual background, as a matter of interest? I am a geologist, qualified to Bsc standard. You seem to know a lot of both zoology, geology and cosmology, are you a science graduate yourself, or just an interested amateur?

The abstract fear of death is derived from our general survival fear. Any organism with Theory of Mind will develop an awareness of its mortality as a deeper concept that will trigger its survival fear. The resulting emotional crisis will significantly reduce the survival and reproductive fitness of an organism in the absence of sufficient information and philosophical interpretation. Or religion. The great irony in this thread being that it is very likely that the capacity to make faith leaps is an evolutionary advantage in many contexts (a context that is changing as our knowledge accumulates).

....as I have said animals don't fear death......they may instinctually avoid danger......but they don't go around worrying that some day they will die.....or about what will happen them when they do.
    The resulting emotional crisis will significantly reduce the survival and reproductive fitness of an organism in the absence of sufficient information and philosophical interpretation. Or religion. The great irony in this thread being that it is very likely that the capacity to make faith leaps is an evolutionary advantage in many contexts (a context that is changing as our knowledge accumulates

.....and as Spontaneous Evolution is one of the greatest 'faith leaps' of all......are you saying that this somehow confers an evolutionary advantage on Evolutionists?????!!!

.....and how does this advantage manifest itself??

......could I gently remind you that I'm NOT the one who is claiming to be a monkey's cousin......or directly descended from a slimeball!!!!
    Although you are the one who goes on about Noah's Ark being real.

do you believe that all Christians are psychotic????
    Nah, just you :P I jest.

......time machines made from fig roll wrappers.......

For the record (since I'm using Terminator logic which said you can't travel forward through time) if anyone wants to know how I managed to end up back here. Simple, I waited. The world isn't THAT old.

Hot Dog wrote: »
    What is your actual background, as a matter of interest? I am a geologist, qualified to Bsc standard. You seem to know a lot of both zoology, geology and cosmology, are you a science graduate yourself, or just an interested amateur?

....as I have said previously, I am a conventionally qualified scientist.

Many Evolutionists have big problems coping with the idea that Scientists can be Creationists......and some would go as far as advocating that Creationists should be stripped of their earned Science Degrees......so if you will excuse me, I will leave my answer to your question at that.

Many Evolutionists have big problems coping with the idea that Scientists can be Creationists......and some would go as far as advocating that Creationists should be stripped of their earned Science Degrees......so if you will excuse me, I will leave my answer to your question at that.

Id still like to know in what area of science, and to what level, it would add more weight to your pronouncements which are often at odds to any conventional science I am aware of. I am not asking for trumpet blowing or boasting. Just a simple statement of your investment in your own learning.

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C

Galvasean
    Although you are the one who goes on about Noah's Ark being real.
    People are capable of making, and have made, very large sea-going boats.....but I have yet to meet somebody who is a monkey's cousin !!!!:)

Id still like to know in what area of science, and to what level, it would add more weight to your pronouncements which are often at odds to any conventional science I am aware of. I am not asking for trumpet blowing or boasting. Just a simple statement of your investment in your own learning.
    I have no desire to add any more weight to my pronouncements ....and I can't see why you would wish that I would do so either.
    If it helps, please regard me as a (scientific) layperson for the purposes of this debate.

......and you may judge the validity of my pronouncements...solely by their logical and scientific validity!!!!:)

I have no desire to add any more weight to my pronouncements ....and I can't see why you would wish that I would do so either.
    If it helps, please regard me as a (scientific) layperson for the purposes of this debate.

......and you may judge the validity of my pronouncements...by their logical and scientific validity!!!!:)

Because the validity of your pronouncements are what gives doubt to you having any scientific training at all. Also, your jack of all trades working knowledge,encompassing as it does astronomy, geology, engineering and zoology looks more like the (poorly understood) talking points form AIG than an honest to goodness polymath. This, combined with your continual hedging when called upon to substantiate what research and learning you have actually undertaken, makes me suspect you are little more than a puffed up mouth piece for the anti scientific crowd, grossly overestimating his own ability.

• Advertisement

Jack of all trades = master of none.

I have yet to meet somebody who is a monkey's cousin !!!!:)

I'll introduce you to my friend Robin Williams. :D

People are capable of making, and have made, very large sea-going boats.....but I have yet to meet somebody who is a monkey's cousin !!!!:)

I've yet to see someone make a boat as large as the Ark out of materials available at the time and fill it with thousands of animals that have to be kept alive for a year.

You would have thought that this would be one of the very first things Creationists would do if they wanted to demonstrate the validity of their assertion that the Flood took place and that most animals are derived from the animals that survived this voyage.

The fact that they haven't done this (most likely because they know it wouldn't work) speaks volumes ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

....as I have said animals don't fear death......they may instinctually avoid danger......but they don't go around worrying that some day they will die.....or about what will happen them when they do.

Most animal species are not capable of forming a concept of "danger" either. That they cannot understand death as we do does not mean that it is not the ultimate source of their fear. Whether it is death or danger we fear, the result is none-the-less the same.
    .....and as Spontaneous Evolution is one of the greatest 'faith leaps' of all......are you saying that this somehow confers an evolutionary advantage on Evolutionists?????!!!

.....and how does this advantage manifest itself??

You continue to misunderstand me. Time will tell whether the scientists and skeptics have an evolutionary advantage. Our belief in evolution offers us no grace from natural selection, and conversely our potential deletion by that same force does not invalidate it (or our belief in it). It is quite clear that historically, the religious have had a survival advantage.

That's either a pretty significant misunderstanding of evolution or another heavily over-simplified and inaccurate attempt at discrediting it.

On your comments regarding subjective and objective morality- it seems we agree. Objective morality does not exist independently of an omnipotent God (though we might argue that this is in fact another subjective morality). As God is by definition unverifiable by any scientific means, so too is objective morality. It therefore seems most likely that the historical writings on morality, including those found in the Bible, are a reflection of human morals arising from subjective morality influenced by contemporary shared societal morality.

You have already claimed to be a "scientist", giving the area that you are qualified in and work in will give us no more information about who you actually are.

Your excuse that you don't do this to protect yourself from us is rather ridiculous (I have a degree and masters in computer science btw)

The only conclusion (backed up by your actual posts) is that you are neither a scientist nor do you understand the vast majority of the science you discuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Eschatologist

I'm saying one should hold scientific hypotheses lightly, being open to the idea one may be mistaken.

As a scientist I'm well aware of that: you can go on about how great a theory is but if it can’t stand up to the evidence it must be let go, regardless of how attached you are to it. I’d be disappointed to see the back of the Big Bang for example, but if something better scientifically came along I would just have to accept that. Creationism does not stand up to the evidence.
    I'm sorry I can't engage directly with your geological arguments, or even assess how compelling they are. All I can do is point you to the articles by the Creationist geologists who may deal with the issues.

I admit my geological points are a bit technical but I hope that won't stop you and others from looking into geology more, if just to understand where I'm coming from. With my solid background in geology I can try to assess the creationist interpretation - can you say the same of where I'm coming from? Don't just go blindly accepting the creationist science without knowing the other side!
    Here's an example. You wrote:
    The ice ages too: 6000 years isn't nearly long enough to account for all of them, considering what we know about how orbital cycles affect the climate. And let's not forget those ancient Huronian ice ages and the Proterozoic snowballs/slushballs...I did a search on creationontheweb.com and the first that took my eye was an on-line book, written at a popular level but seems to me to deal with some of the issues:Geologists have claimed that these features have been found in ancient rock layers, proving that there had been previous ice ages over geologic time. Many lines of evidence now indicate that the observations have been misinterpreted:3

Few geologists today would argue that there were no ice ages in the past. The authors of that book seem to paint a (wrong) picture of modern geology as taking an overly rigid uniformitarian approach – it’s obvious from many outcrops and formations that many of the processes happening today also operated in the past. If you’re interested, bear with me while I address a few points in that red text:

• The ‘tillites’ of lower rock layers are small in area, commonly thick,
    and probably all of marine origin, whereas those of modern glaciers
    are relatively large in area, thin and continental.

They say that because ancient tillites (glacial rocks) are marine, compared to continental tillites today, they can’t be from older ice ages. This doesn’t take into account that most of the continental mass today is concentrated in the northern hemisphere so we would expect to see continental tillites – different continental configurations existed in the past. Continental deposits are also thinner because they are subject to greater erosion.

But ice core data goes back at least 500,000 years and are dated using pollen, dust and other methods – do creationists not espouse the dendrochronology and pollen dating methods because they can be used for the recent past? We are after all still in the Pleistocene ice age, albeit within an inter-glacial, which has persisted for 2 million years. The evidence for this is so strong I don’t see how it can be ignored.

• There are limestones and dolomites frequently associated with these

‘tillites’—carbonates which form today in warm water, not cold.

The limestones associated with ancient glaciations (namely the Proterozoic ones ~700-500 Ma) occurred after the ice started to retreat. The oceans, having been cut off from CO2 by ice cover, became saturated with it and precipitated limestones. These are known as the ‘cap carbonates’. The CO2 built up in the atmosphere by outgassing from volcanoes which would not have ceased erupting during the snowball. This also provides a mechanism for melting the snowball once CO2 reached a critical level – runaway greenhouse. There is also much evidence to suggest that ice reached the tropics during the snowball.

• Underwater mass flows can produce tillite-like deposits, as well as
    striated bedrock and striated stones in the ‘tillite’. Such mass flows

would be expected during Noah’s Flood.

So what? Mass flows also occur today, as well as submarine slumps of jumbled up material. This proves nothing.
    • Turbidity currents can deposit varve-like laminated sediments very
    quickly.6 These sediments are more accurately called rhythmites. A
    varve is defined as a rhythmite deposited in one year. Lambert and
    Hsu have presented evidence from a Swiss lake that such varve-like
    rhythmites form rapidly by catastrophic, turbid water underflows.7
    At one location, five couplets of these varve-like rhythmites formed
    during a single year. At Mount St Helens in the USA, an 8 m (25 ft)
    thick stratified deposit consisting of many thin varve-like laminae was
    formed in less than one day (June 12, 1980).8 Flow tank experiments
    have shown how laminations can form rapidly when two different

grain sizes are carried together in flowing water.9

Marine mass flows do not conflict with ancient ice ages. I know turbidites (turbulent flow deposits) pretty well – some extensive field work of mine included over 6000 feet of them. Notably, the soft snowball or slushball, allows for open expanses of water so deposition of varvites and turbidites is not a problem.
    • The so-called ‘dropstones’ could not have been dropped into the ancient
    ‘varvites’10 because such a method of placement would result
    in tell-tale disturbance of the laminations, which is rarely observed.
    The evidence suggests they were placed with the enclosing sediments
    by turbidity currents or other mass flows—again consistent with what
    would be expected during a global Flood. In other words the ‘varvites’
    did not come from cyclical, annual, glacial lake deposition.

http://creationontheweb.com/images/pdfs/cabook/chapter16.pdf

The authors don't say whether the dropstones are at the top or bottom of the flow - if they were deposited by turbidity currents as said, I could speculate that hydrological sorting would place them at the bottom as the heaviest material and the laminations would form around them - this is not in conflict with multiple ice ages.
    But for more technical material see sites such as:
    Research Papers
    http://www.icr.org/research/index/researchp_papers/

Selected Articles

http://creationresearch.org/crsq/articles_chron.htm

I have looked at many of these papers and found them wanting.

“Slow-and-gradual evolutionary scenarios16 to explain the Ice Age do
    not work.” from http://creationontheweb.com/images/pdfs/cabook/chapter16.pdf

It’s not a question for evolution – it’s geology! If global warming and The Day After Tomorrow :) have taught us nothing it’s that runaway effects, be they greenhouse or ice box, can and do happen. Feedback mechanisms have to be considered and are especially important in developing climate models today.

I hope I’ve made the geology here a bit more accessible, but it’s good to see both sides of the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Eschatologist

......could I gently remind you that I'm NOT the one who is claiming to be a monkey's cousin......or directly descended from a slimeball!!!

I'm content that evolution took its time making humans, as Bill Hicks said: 'I believe God created me in one day! Sure looks like he rushed it!'
    :pac:

Just about the ark, there are structural limits to wood, it bends and flexes and so forth.

http://home.houston.rr.com/bybayouu/Noahs_ark.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Eschatologist said:
    I admit my geological points are a bit technical but I hope that won't stop you and others from looking into geology more, if just to understand where I'm coming from. With my solid background in geology I can try to assess the creationist interpretation - can you say the same of where I'm coming from? Don't just go blindly accepting the creationist science without knowing the other side!
    I hope I’ve made the geology here a bit more accessible, but it’s good to see both sides of the argument.
    Thanks for the counter-argument on the technical stuff. It is good to hear both sides.

As a layman, I don't base my belief in Flood geology on creation science, but on the word of God. I welcome creation science's attempt to refute evolutionist science and remove any obstacle people may have to believing the Bible, but creation science is not how anyone can know the truth about God.

Here's a couple of articles from the Times Higher Educational Supplement I found interesting:
    Campus believers preach Genesis
    http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=203887

Science of Earth's birth not set in stone
    http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=204052

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Just about the ark, there are structural limits to wood, it bends and flexes and so forth.

http://home.houston.rr.com/bybayouu/Noahs_ark.html
    He should have read:
    Safety investigation of Noah’s Ark in a seaway
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v8/i1/noah.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement