Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

J C wrote: »
    Your laughter is about as relevant as a modern bricklayer laughing at the idea that the multi-million tonne Great Pyramid in Giza could never have been built by a 'stone age' people.................because all he had ever built was a semi-D in Tallaght.......and he found it difficult to lift anything heavier than a breeze block!!!!!
    Not at all. The two of us, both qualified engineers, laughed at it because the Koreans' document could only have been written by fools. Being as unfamiliar with naval architecture as you are with biology, you may not be able to see this. Trust me on it!
    Many of the animals could have entered a type of 'hibernation' phase during the Flood. The feed could have been rationed. Providing water to them certainly wouldn't have been a problem.....and the dung could have easily been allowed to flow overboard!!!!
    Ha, ha, haaa. Haa, haa, haa,. HHHAAAA, Hhaaa, hahhahahh!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wiping away more laughter, I have this picture of you, surrounded by the floating and comatose bodies of stunned horses, gorillas, chickens and all the rest, swimming down through the dark crap- and vomit-laden water, and amongst a maze of dangerously creaking and splintered transverse truss-work, to drill a hole in the bottom of the boat to, er, let it all out.

Dude, not only are you not at the starting line, you're not even in the right stadium!

Hot Dog wrote: »
    Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn.
    ...and while we're pointing-and-laughing, don't forget that (diploma-mill-doctor) Ken Ham is putting on a stageshow in Belfast in a few weeks time:

http://www.waterfront.co.uk/whatson/performancedetails.aspx?id=39038

If you're a creationist, book early -- remember that Ken's 180,000-dollar-a-year salary (not including expenses) has to come from somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Im sorry for not reading the 600+ pages, but i've read the last few. A quick question, im a right in saying that people actually believe in Noahs Ark and are giving arguments trying to prove the possability of its existance?

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    am I right in saying that people actually believe in Noahs Ark and are giving arguments trying to prove the possability of its existance?
    Yes, that's right. See this thread, and this comical and dangerously wrong "safety investigation"!

Welcome, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Equally, on this thread, ONE Creation Scientist has roundly defeated HUNDREDS of the best Evolutionist ‘brains’ on all substantive points across all scientific disciplines.

Every once in a while someone says something that makes me laugh for days on end. Thank you J_C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    A quick question, im a right in saying that people actually believe in Noahs Ark and are giving arguments trying to prove the possability of its existance?

Well you see when you click on this thread you actually go through a time warp. Welcome to the 17th Century! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Could you perhaps repost where you describe the "intimate geology of Ireland" (you mentioned this in a previous post) in a flood context and how this fits in with the bigger picture of global geology?

I must have missed this sound demonstration of geological knowledge...

I'm bothered by the whole concept of "intimate geology".

perturbed,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Hot Dog

Scofflaw wrote: »

perturbed,
    Scofflaw

Never get lonely on field trips?

Animals often react very unusually when great natural catastrophies are occurring or are about to occur. Many of the animals could have entered a type of 'hibernation' phase during the Flood. The feed could have been rationed. Providing water to them certainly wouldn't have been a problem.....and the dung could have easily been allowed to flow overboard!!!!

They sure would be shoveling a lot of sh1t, perhaps this is the basis of your familiarity with this theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well you see when you click on this thread you actually go through a time warp. Welcome to the 17th Century! :pac:
    Yes, even back to the 1st Century, when Jesus and the apostles believed in the reality of Noah and the ark.

Many Christians today know better than Jesus, however, being enlightened by men of science.

• Advertisement

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Many Christians today know better than Jesus, however, being enlightened by men of science.
    Am thrilled to see reality dawn -- welcome!

pH wrote: »
    I'm still reading, hoping that this thread will get to Jonah eventually.
    We're good at multi-tasking. :D

What's your query?

robindch wrote: »
    Am thrilled to see reality dawn -- welcome!
    I'm glad to say I'm not one of them. If their light is darkness, how great is that darkness!

robindch wrote: »
    If the ships they design are as poorly engineered as the ark is in this report, then these guys aren't competent to design bath toys.

Briefly, the first and largest part of the report concerns the center of gravity and seakeeping characteristics of the boat. Well, it's a box and if there's no holes, it's going to float and probably not capsize if they make it wide enough. No surprises there.

Then comes the curious bit where they document their "structural analysis" of the boat. Now, I've no idea what kind of structural analysis happens in the far east, but in this part of the world, you have to draw up your design, then do your finite element analysis. The details of neither are included in this document, which contains an amazingly vague and hand-wavey description together with the sudden, unexpected and totally unsubstantiated conclusion that the boat "could be said to have had safe structural performance.". This could be said by a clown or a creationist but certainly not by a naval architect who values his reputation. It's not worth listing the individual omissions, since they have omitted everything from their "design".

Incidentally, I was speaking with a good mate of mine this evening about this. He was one of the structural engineers working on the Mirabella V, the world's largest single-masted sailing vessel which was designed in Ireland (bet nobody knew that :))

So, this evening, the two of us wept with laughter at the idea of Noah floating around in a 450 foot log cabin, with water pouring in through every joint, the whole edifice creaking and wailing like a banshee from the huge shearing forces, while surrounded by ten thousand animals intent on eating each other while flapping, crawling and swimming about in five feet of manure and ten feet of vomit, and the whole miserable show drifting without power in an ocean rising by nine feet per hour from rain and battered by 90 foot waves.

Creationism is always good for a laugh, but never as much as when it tries to be serious.
    I take it you have reported these dangerous men then?

Hot Dog said:
    Quote:
    Who knows what knowledge and skills Noah and his family had on hand as they worked some 120 years on the Ark?

The point is that you don't, so unless you can contribute some falsifiable, testable methodology for workable oversize ship building please post it. Arguments to "wisdom of the ancients" simply is not science. Your evidence for massively prolonged lifespan for prehistoric humans I assume is presently forthcoming
    I'm not presenting science - just logic. The experts from Korea were dealing with the science. I'm showing how your assumptions - such as lack of skill - may not be valid. Has there been no loss of knowledge held by ancient civilisations?
    Quote:
    As to the Wyoming and modern shipbuilding techniques - the ancients got on pretty well building great structures in Egypt and Peru.

The reference to Egypt and Peru is moot, as there was no issue of physics they had to (magically?) resolve, the pyramids and such were wonders of organization, labour and technology - for the time.
    They didn't need mathematics or physics to erect them or to align them?
    Quote:
    That any help? Like to become a Christian now?

Please dont be so arrogant to assume you know anything of my religious or spiritual views. I am a Christian, though of a different breed to you I would reckon.
    Seems so. Christians who don't believe the Bible are definitely not my sort.
    You still have not put forth one shred of evidence to suggest that the biblical account is true, where are your falsifiable assumptions? There is lots of " Oh, it might have worked this way" or " its possible in this circumstance" or " it could be true given so and so", but these are all special pleadings, and there is no evidence that things happened the way you suggest. There is lots of evidence that it happened a much simpler way entirely.
    As above, I'm showing how the possibility exists even to the skeptic. Showing a defence of the ark as a sea-worthy vessel was part of that.

I take it you have reported these dangerous men then?
    Unless I've missed the announcement, I don't believe that these clowns are actually planning to build this boat. Hence, reporting them to their regulatory authorities or any of their professional bodies, is a waste of time (even if I spoke Korean, which I don't).

In any case, as I pointed out, the report didn't actually say that the boat is safe, but simply that it "could be said" to be safe, and this is something that could be said, truthfully, by a clown or a creationist. While their engineering might be up its ass, their legal antennae are wiggling away very healthily! In the context of an engineering report, this "could be said" phrase a rather obvious copout as any qualified engineer will tell you. In the context of an engineering report on a boat that doesn't exist, and the details of whose construction is hand-waved in two vague sentences, this silly piece of pie-in-the-sky won't do much more than it did yesterday, which is to make professionals laugh out loud :)

BTW, have you actually read and understood the text yourself? Since you seem to think that this text proves that the boat is structurally sound, I assume you haven't, but am willing to be corrected.

I'm glad to say I'm not one of them. If their light is darkness, how great is that darkness!

happily ignorant?
    I'm not presenting science - just logic. The experts from Korea were dealing with the science. I'm showing how your assumptions - such as lack of skill - may not be valid. Has there been no loss of knowledge held by ancient civilisations?

your not actually presenting anything, really, other than circumstances on the very fringe of possibility.

The boat might have been built with "Nolledge of t3h ancients!!!11!one" but do you have any evidence that it actually was?

The animals may have entered hibenation on the ark, but do you have any evidence that they actually did?

The flood may have happened, but do you have any evidence that it actually did?

Seems so. Christians who don't believe the Bible are definitely not my sort.

I think that biblical literalists are small in number in this country, I suppose all the other church goers and religious types in this country are not True Christians (TM)
    As above, I'm showing how the possibility exists even to the skeptic. Showing a defence of the ark as a sea-worthy vessel was part of that

It seems that an all wooden ship of the proportion needed to carry a planetary ecosystem cannot be built given modern day technology. I may be wrong, but given the example of the Wisconsin, the evidence from robindch, historical precedent, and common sense, that it is impossible for such a ship to exist.

Your defense (which was a non peer reviewed article which you yourself did not understand) has been systematically taken to the cleaners by robindch who appears to have an engineering degree. You don't have one of those do you, Wolfsbane?

Never get lonely on field trips?

Well, that would lead to "intimate zoology", traditionally.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

iUseVi wrote: »
    I would bet that J C is no more than 14-15. Obviously he/she is not a scientist.
    If I am a 14 year old......then it is even more amazing that I have roundly defeated the 'legions' of Evolutionist ideas on this thread!!!
    iUseVi wrote: »
    Why can I not stop reading this thread!?
    I guess it is the truth (and importance) of where we have come from.....and therefore where we are going....that is fascinating you.
    wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    1. WHY can’t a Creationist be a scientist…..just like a Hindu or an Evolutionist can be a scientist???

AtomicHorror
    I explained exactly why in my post that you quoted. A geneticist proceeds from falsifiable/testable hypotheses and is therefore a scientist. A Hindu may be a scientist if he does not allow his faith to conflict with his capacity to proceed from falsifiable hypotheses. A Creationist by definition proceeds from a non-falsifiable position.
    The only difference between Creationism and Evolutionism is that Spontaneous Evolution has ALREADY been falsified!!!

……and job discrimination against Creationists is just old-fashioned religious discrimination!!!

History is repeating itself for Orthodox Creationist Jews……their ancestors were locked up in ghettoes and they were prevented from joining the professions because they were Jews…..today some people are advocating banning them from the scientific profession because they are Creationists!!:eek:

wrote:
    AtomicHorror
    As for your oft-cited "evolutionist"... He's not a scientist because he does not exist. The term is one that has been hijacked (from earlier usage) by creationists to create the implication that evolutionary theory and creationism are in some way comparable. Faith-based ideologies. They are not.
    Creationism is a well founded logical belief with it’s own branch of Science……while Spontaneous Evolution struggles on as an unfounded faith-based belief amongst Atheists and assorted Materialists!!!:)

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    2. WHAT is the scientific status of a conventionally qualified Scientist who starts to doubt Evolution and believe in Creation as the answer to the ‘origins question’….based on the evidence that s/he is repeatedly observing?

AtomicHorror
    Creationism requires God. The existence of God is not scientifically verifiable. To place Him into a hypothesis is contradictory to the term itself. God is speculation, in scientific terms. A scientist who decides that God is an appropriate explanation for some scientific data he has collected is not a scientist.
    So the penalty for being an Orthodox Jew or a Bible-believing Christian is that they CANNOT become a scientist……and if they manage to do so, then they should be stripped of their qualifications once their Creationist beliefs are discovered!!!!!

Indeed, your views would imply that merely being a Theist (of any description) and therefore believing that God had ANY hand, act or part in the Creation, or the supposed Evolution of life, would be sufficient justification to declare such a person to “not be a scientist”!!!

Here, ladies and gentlemen is the intolerance of the Materialist towards ALL Theists, laid bare for all to see!!!!

…..and that is why Materialistic Evolutionists are JUST AS intolerant of ID Theistic Evolutionists as they are of Creationists!!!!:eek:

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    3. WHAT IF God did Create the Universe and all life (in six Days)

AtomicHorror
    If the world and life were created in 6 days this would be verifiable using the scientific method. The involvement of God in this process, by the Christian definition of God, cannot be verified by any means whatsoever.
    As usual, the reverse is true!!!
    Creation in exactly six days will be very difficult to establish by objective means……
    ..…but the Intelligent Creation of life by God is relatively easy to establish empirically …….and this has ALREADY been done.

The Materialistic Evolutionist gets over this problem by denying that science can prove the appliance of intelligence…….and declaring any Theistic Evolutionist who becomes an open ID advocate to “not be a Scientist”!!!!

Originally Posted by J C
    3. WHAT IF God did Create the Universe and all life (in six Days)?
    ...are you saying that this would be beyond the ability of science to evaluate…….and therefore the MOST LIKELY answer to the ‘origins question’ is beyond the ability of science to detect?

AtomicHorror
    Whether the universe can ever be fully described by science is impossible to say. It will continue to be impossible to say until such time as the universe is fully undertsood, assuming this is possible. In other words, the question is irrelevant.

My question is very relevant for ALL Theists…..and your answer is a non-answer!!!!!!!

The fact of the matter is that the only viable hypothesis for the origin of life is that an ‘Intelligence’ was involved in Creating/Evolving it…….and you are saying that science should ‘turn its back’ on such an explanation, and not even bother to investigate it, just because a clique of very powerful Materialists cannot countenance the possibility of the existence of such an ‘Intelligence’!!!!

The acceptance shown by many Theistic Evolutionists towards the suppression of ID advocates, nearly ALL of whom are ALSO Theistic Evolutionists, is indeed ironic. :eek:

I have very significant theological differences with many ID Advocates who are Theistic Evolutionists, but I greatly admire the excellent quality of their scientific work on Intelligent Design.....and I fully respect their sincerely held views on Evolution. Just because we disagree about something, doesn't mean that we should ban others from expressing their views.

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    You are entitled to your opinion….but the increasingly empty pews in ‘Evolutionist’ churches and the thousands of young people who are deeply involved with and committed to Bible-believing churches doesn’t support your contention

AtomicHorror
    What the hell is an evolutionist church?

An Evolutionist Church is one that promotes Theistic Evolution as the way that God supposedly 'Created' life!!!

An Evolutionist Church is one that promotes Theistic Evolution as the way that God supposedly 'Created' life!!!

Bzzzt. Sorry JC, wrong guess! That's not what evolution says! Would you like to go for Double Jeopardy where the scores can really change?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Bzzzt. Sorry JC, wrong guess! That's not what evolution says! Would you like to go for Double Jeopardy where the scores can really change?

No I think he is referring to any Christian church that tries to fit evolution into biblical doctrine. Such as the Catholic church, am I right?

happily ignorant?

Are you????:confused::)

It seems that an all wooden ship of the proportion needed to carry a planetary ecosystem cannot be built given modern day technology. I may be wrong, but given the example of the Wisconsin, the evidence from robindch, historical precedent, and common sense, that it is impossible for such a ship to exist.
    ....you musn't have read my posting....so I will repeat it for you:-

One of the largest moden wooden ships, the Appomattox, is often compared with the Ark. Measuring 319 feet long, with a beam of 42 feet, it was reinforced with steel bracing to keep it together, and it had to be bilged continuously by steam pumps in order to battle constantly leaking beams as stresses on the hull caused the timbers to separate.
    Skeptics frequently point to this as an example of the vulnerability of wooden ships over 300 feet long, and argue that this demonstrates that Noah's Ark (carrying no steel bracing or steam bilge pumps), could not possibly have been practical. However, the Appomattox was designed completely differently to the Ark, being a steam powered ship and not a barge. It was also subjected to different stresses caused by having to tow a large unpowered barge behind it.

It is noteworthy that whilst much is made of comparisons between the Appomattox and the Ark, the unpowered barge which was towed by the Appomattox is never mentioned by the Skeptics. This is particularly odd since this ship (the Santiago), is a far more relevant vessel with which to compare the Ark.
    Like the Ark it was made entirely of wood, carrying no steel bracing. Like the Ark it was not powered either by steam or sail. Like the Ark it was built as a barge. Not only this, but its dimension are even larger than those of the Appomattox, being 324 feet long, with a beam of 46 feet.

Unlike the Appomattox, the Santiago DID NOT SUFFER FROM LEAKING PROBLEMS. It served on the Great Lakes as a towed barge for almost 20 years (1899-1918), before finally being swamped in a gale. This wooden barge (though not as large as the Ark), WAS LARGER THAN the Appomattox which towed it, BUT SUFFERED FROM NONE OF THE STRUCTURAL DEFECTS of the Appotomox and had a service history over twice as long as that of the Appomattox, despite serving on the Great Lakes, notorious for their storm conditions and unpredictable waters. This is a far more accurate comparison to draw with the Ark, and demonstrates that wooden barges over 300 feet long are entirely practical.

….and of course we should not forget the fact that Noah’s Ark was constructed by Noah under the direct inspiration of God……and He knows all there is to know about Marine Engineering and Ship’s Architecture!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Are you????:confused::)

....you musn't have read my posting....so I will repeat it for you:-

One of the largest moden wooden ships, the Appomattox, is often compared with the Ark. Measuring 319 feet long, with a beam of 42 feet, it was reinforced with steel bracing to keep it together, and it had to be bilged continuously by steam pumps in order to battle constantly leaking beams as stresses on the hull caused the timbers to separate.
    Skeptics frequently point to this as an example of the vulnerability of wooden ships over 300 feet long, and argue that this demonstrates that Noah's Ark (carrying no steel bracing or steam bilge pumps), could not possibly have been practical. However, the Appomattox was designed completely differently to the Ark, being a steam powered ship and not a barge. It was also subjected to different stresses caused by having to tow a large unpowered barge behind it.

It is noteworthy that whilst much is made of comparisons between the Appomattox and the Ark, the unpowered barge which was towed by the Appomattox is never mentioned by the Skeptics. This is particularly odd since this ship (the Santiago), is a far more relevant vessel with which to compare the Ark.
    Like the Ark it was made entirely of wood, carrying no steel bracing. Like the Ark it was not powered either by steam or sail. Like the Ark it was built as a barge. Not only this, but its dimension are even larger than those of the Appomattox, being 324 feet long, with a beam of 46 feet.

Unlike the Appomattox, the Santiago DID NOT SUFFER FROM LEAKING PROBLEMS. It served on the Great Lakes as a towed barge for almost 20 years (1899-1918), before finally being swamped in a gale. This wooden barge (though not as large as the Ark), WAS LARGER THAN the Appomattox which towed it, BUT SUFFERED FROM NONE OF THE STRUCTURAL DEFECTS of the Appotomox and had a service history over twice as long as that of the Appomattox, despite serving on the Great Lakes, notorious for their storm conditions and unpredictable waters. This is a far more accurate comparison to draw with the Ark, and demonstrates that wooden barges over 300 feet long are entirely practical.

….and of course we should not forget the fact that Noah’s Ark was constructed by Noah under the direct inspiration of God……and He knows all there is to know about Marine Engineering and Ship’s Architecture!!!:)

You didnt write any of that, you are just copying and pasting.

No I think he is referring to any Christian church that tries to fit evolution into biblical doctrine. Such as the Catholic church, am I right?

Yes.

You didnt write any of that, you are just copying and pasting.

Just in case that you don't believe me that the Santiago was a wooden barge that was 324 feet long and lasted 20 years carrying heavy cargo.....here is the newspaper account of its foundering:-
    http://www.hhpl.on.ca/GreatLakes/Scripts/News/Article.asp?ID=5865&number=27

[/B]If I am a 14 year old......then it is even more amazing that I have roundly defeated the 'legions' of Evolutionist ideas on this thread!!!

Also that you would have been posting since you were 11-12.
    The only difference between Creationism and Evolutionism is that Spontaneous Evolution has ALREADY been falsified!!!

Certainly you've done a great deal in that direction. However, you might want to find out what falsifiable means in a scientific context.
    ……and job discrimination against Creationists is just old-fashioned religious discrimination!!!

History is repeating itself for Orthodox Creationist Jews……their ancestors were locked up in ghettoes and they were prevented from joining the professions because they were Jews…..today some people are advocating banning them from the scientific profession because they are Creationists!!:eek:

O?
    [/B]Creationism is a well founded logical belief with it’s own branch of Science……while Spontaneous Evolution struggles on as an unfounded faith-based belief amongst Atheists and assorted Materialists!!!:)

Amazing. Why, that almost suggests that acceptance of science is the minority viewpoint - and that there are only two types of people, Creationists and Atheists/Materialists - and that Creation Science is actually a branch of science - and that - well, I rarely get to see a statement that contains that many errors all together. Is there any bit of it that is not actually wrong...?...hmm...no. OK, maybe the dots.
    [/B]So the penalty for being an Orthodox Jew or a Bible-believing Christian is that they CANNOT become a scientist……and if they manage to do so, then they should be stripped of their qualifications once their Creationist beliefs are discovered!!!!!

Amazing again! Truly a day of wonders! But where, then, JC, do all the conventionally qualified Creationist scientists come from? The ones you keep pointing out? The ones who do the scientific research that has already repeatedly disproved Materialistic Evolution using purely scientific methods? The ones who form Creationism's "own branch of Science", as per above?

deeply amused,
    Scofflaw

Evolution: 24 myths and misconceptions from New Scientist.

informatively,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Evolution: 24 myths and misconceptions from New Scientist.

informatively,
    Scofflaw

You beat me to it! The very first point they make is one that I've tried to drive home here a couple of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Saw this in Eason's this morning, bought it for the bus. Its a little light but a good read. I like number 5 about the "perfection" of nature that Creationists claim. Anyone who thinks nature is perfect is an idiot or grossly ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

In other interesting news....

There would appear to be a new record for the world's oldest living tree.

Dated using Carbon-14 techniques (which have previously in this thread been accepted by Creationists as the only accurate radiological dating method), the tree has been dated to between 9,000 and 9,500 years old.

Given that the YECs here have tended to put the earth's age at around 10,000 years, wouldn't this mean that we've found a tree that survived their alleged Flood?

Will carbon-14 dating suddenly become unacceptable? Will some other reason to reject this finding be invented? Will be asked to believe that spruce pine could have happily survived being submerged for the duration of the event?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement