Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Wicknight wrote: »
    Please give the name of this "kind" that homo sapiens belong to and the process by which this classification was derived, ie what characteristics of the human species classifies it in this kind as opposed to another kind

this should be interesting :rolleyes:
    Homo sapiens belongs to the kind Man. It differs from similar-looking kinds - apes - in its incompatibility to breed with them, for example. I'm not qualified to list the genetic differences, and I haven't the time to look them up, but I'm sure you will agree they are there. I could speak of the psychological element and the spiritual element, but they are outside the normal scientific field.

Man is of course different from the horse kind in that he has 2 legs, not 4. But I expect you may have noticed, even though you believe they both came from the same ancestor. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

I was gonna challenge you on assuming Wolfsbane's genome is mutated but then I kinda thought about it a bit.

Anyone have a figure on the overall frequency of inherited germline mutations in humans? I've always assumed without looking into it that the frequency would tend to be quite low but when I think about it... with some 40,000 genes (x2 alleles per gene) with a variety of tendencies to mutate, the frequency must be at least 1 inhertied mutation per generation. Of course recessiveness would be likely to keep Wolfsbane (and me) alive but it's interesting to think about it.

I think I heard that the average is 18, I cant remember where though. In any case even one mutation per generation on average would back my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

wolfsbane wrote: »
    But creation claims any evidence that seems to show long ages is due to mistaken assumptions about the uniformity of rates of radio-decay. Evolution claims any evidence that subverts its long ages is down to misunderstood/as yet unknown factors.

There are no assumptions made about the uniformity of radio decay, its been know that radio decay can be changed by an isotopes' enviroment, however this change is not nearly big enough to account for creationists claims that radio decay is unreliable for dating the earth, as shown in experiments that show multiple types of radio decay with correlating results.
    You see here's what you are leaving out of the above sentences, creation will make claims, leaving out already existing evidence, to make their own claims seem more credible, while evolution will show how the science is being misunderstood by creation.
    As to God being the unfalsifiable factor in creationism, that is not so. Creationism can start with a mature creation, without specifying how it got there.

So creationism has nothing to do with (any) God/religion? Show me an atheist that belives in creation then.
    The individual parts of the creation model can be falsified - or if you like, the conclusion can be falsified by showing that any of the model's necessary parts have been disproven.

The individual parts have been falsified. There is a plethora of evidence against creationism and evidence for evolution. Any new claim by creationist is found to be misinterpreted or misleading of results, and any refutation of evolution is of the "God of the Gaps" style logic. The best creationism has ever gotten is in finding a few gaps in our knowledge, such as the fossil record etc. But showing that your opponent has a hole (thats yet to be filled) in their knowledge does not, in any way, make your own argument more right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

We've previously established that J C believes in:

Natural selection (but that it's only had 6000 years to work)
    Gene flow (as above)
    Genetic drift (and again)
    Mutation (but that it results in an effectively infinite number of non-functional genotypes, thus confounding the other mechanisms)
    Speciation (albeit from "kinds")

These beliefs are actually quite self-contradictory when we list them, but anyway... Wolfsbane, what of the above mechanisms, do you believe in?

Homo sapiens belongs to the kind Man. It differs from similar-looking kinds - apes - in its incompatibility to breed with them, for example.

Is breeding incompatibility a required feature of the seperation between kinds?

• Advertisement

daithifleming said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    Hmm. Have you observed my ancestry over your millions of years?

I don't need to. I know that you are a mutated copy of both your parents genes, and your children will be mutated versions of you and your partner also. You are a transitional form between those generations, and your genome can be used to map this transition using the inherited mutations as guides.
    Ah, yes, the variation within kind creationists hold to. Yes, I have no problem with that; I am transitional between my parents and my children.

By transitional I thought you meant between one kind and another: ape-to-man-to-superman. Have we reached the Omega Point yet? :D

But I would wonder about your emphasis on mutation - would sorting not account for most of my differences, rather than mutation?

That would follow from the Genesis creation scenario. Each according to their kind.

We've previously established that J C believes in:

Natural selection (but that it's only had 6000 years to work)
    Gene flow (as above)
    Genetic drift (and again)
    Mutation (but that it results in an effectively infinite number of non-functional genotypes, thus confounding the other mechanisms)
    Speciation (albeit from "kinds")

These beliefs are actually quite self-contradictory when we list them, but anyway... Wolfsbane, what of the above mechanisms, do you believe in?
    I'm not sure of the terms, but if they fall within the variation within kind scenario, OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

daithifleming said:

Ah, yes, the variation within kind creationists hold to. Yes, I have no problem with that; I am transitional between my parents and my children.

By transitional I thought you meant between one kind and another: ape-to-man-to-superman. Have we reached the Omega Point yet? :D

But I would wonder about your emphasis on mutation - would sorting not account for most of my differences, rather than mutation?

So I was right, you are a transitional form. Good. The sorting you speak of is similar to the re-sorting of the letters in the copying process of a book. Some changes create new words, others have no effect, and others still make the sentences illegible. Sure, it is still a book, but it cannot be described as the same. That is a mutation. Call it sorting if you want, it changes nothing of the process. I already know you don't accept that the books language cannot change from English to a different language, but that is because you don't appreciate the effect time can have. I can't do anything to change that for you.

(btw, this is daithifleming, i ditched the old name)

;)

That would follow from the Genesis creation scenario. Each according to their kind.

Kinds in that case could refer to species in many cases. There are a minimum of 2 million species. Some species may interbreed though so it may alternately refer to genera, of which there are hundreds of thousands and which interbreed with much greater difficulty.

Either way, this leaves us with a conservative estimate of some 800,000-1,000,000 kinds (which biologists would view as a set of genera and species) based only on interbreeding restriction. Would that be a fair assessment?

As for humans and apes being of different kinds- how do you explain the presence of inserted retroviral genes at the same locations in humans and some ape species? A common ancestor is the only conclusion I can come to on that one due to the probabilities involved.

Further, while I wouldn't claim to be an expert on hybrids, I would guess that the main barrier to say, human-chimp interbreeding (aside from cultural taboo) would be the mismatch in chromosome numbers. The chromosomal fusion in humans that caused that difference is a reletively recent development and it is quite possible that interbreeding between humans and other ape species may well have been possible.

• Advertisement

So I was right, you are a transitional form. Good. The sorting you speak of is similar to the re-sorting of the letters in the copying process of a book. Some changes create new words, others have no effect, and others still make the sentences illegible. Sure, it is still a book, but it cannot be described as the same. That is a mutation. Call it sorting if you want, it changes nothing of the process. I already know you don't accept that the books language cannot change from English to a different language, but that is because you don't appreciate the effect time can have. I can't do anything to change that for you.

I'm a little confused as to what we're talking about here? The genetic recombination that occurs during meiosis?

I'm a little confused as to what we're talking about here? The genetic recombination that occurs during meiosis?

Well I am defining mutation as a copying error of the DNA nucleotides and drawing analogy between the four letters of DNA and the letters of the alphabet. Correct me if im wrong.

Well I am defining mutation as a copying error of the DNA nucleotides and drawing analogy between the four letters of DNA and the letters of the alphabet. Correct me if im wrong.

Wolfsbane was asking whether "sorting" (whetever he means by that) would account more for his uniqueness than mutation. So I thought perhaps he might be referring to meiotic recombination.

Wolfsbane was asking whether "sorting" (whetever he means by that) would account more for his uniqueness than mutation. So I thought perhaps he might be referring to meiotic recombination.

No. According to creationists, mutations are the result of the re-shuffling of pre-existing information. They say that this means no new information is added, and therefore no new species can arise. The ironic thing is that they are actually describing evolution, in my view. The reshuffling of DNA nucleotides is pretty much what mutation is, and the new genes that are created are much the same as my analogy of reshuffling the letters in a book to create new words. Simple.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Or are you, as Bonkey suggested and I strongly believe, just arguing for the point of arguing because you actually have no idea how to answer any of these questions being put to you and you are just stalling for time hope that we eventually stop asking you?

I don't believe I ever suggested that wolfsbane is arguing for the sake of arguing.

Although I am loathe to ascribe motive, I will make an exception in this case.

Wolfsbane is arguing for the sake of "teaching the controversy". Its not about winning. Its about staying in the game, and ensuring that anyone reading who hasn't already taken a position is at the very least confused as much as possible.

I would never underestimate him by assuming that he is arguing just for the sake of it.

I would additionally say that he knows exactly how to answer the questions put to him...which is why he's so good at deflecting the questions, changing the subject, and finding other ways to avoid the topics.

The distinction, for me at least, is telling. Those who support science on this forum have made no issue of its limitations, have admitted to its shortcomings, and been forthright about where it fails to supply answers. Those who support creationism change the subject.

To anyone who is the target of Wolfbanes "teach the controversy" approach, I would simply suggest you consider this. Who would you put your trust in...those who admit to the limitations of their approach, who acknowledge what it has and hasn't done, what if can and cnanot do....or those who change the subject and find other ways to refuse to answer when asked questions they don't like.

bonkey wrote: »
    I don't believe I ever suggested that wolfsbane is arguing for the sake of arguing.

Although I am loathe to ascribe motive, I will make an exception in this case.

Wolfsbane is arguing for the sake of "teaching the controversy". Its not about winning. Its about staying in the game, and ensuring that anyone reading who hasn't already taken a position is at the very least confused as much as possible.

I would never underestimate him by assuming that he is arguing just for the sake of it.

I would additionally say that he knows exactly how to answer the questions put to him...which is why he's so good at deflecting the questions, changing the subject, and finding other ways to avoid the topics.

The distinction, for me at least, is telling. Those who support science on this forum have made no issue of its limitations, have admitted to its shortcomings, and been forthright about where it fails to supply answers. Those who support creationism change the subject.

To anyone who is the target of Wolfbanes "teach the controversy" approach, I would simply suggest you consider this. Who would you put your trust in...those who admit to the limitations of their approach, who acknowledge what it has and hasn't done, what if can and cnanot do....or those who change the subject and find other ways to refuse to answer when asked questions they don't like.

Were it possible to make a sticky to introduce this thread, I would nominate this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

OK, you have my public guarantee - produce a bacteria or a fruit-fly that produce descendants that are other than a bacteria or a fruit-fly, and I will publically admit that the creation model has been falsified. The clock starts, Now!
    Horse + donkey = mule.

QED.

No. According to creationists, mutations are the result of the re-shuffling of pre-existing information. They say that this means no new information is added, and therefore no new species can arise.

That sorta ignores gene duplication followed by standard mutation which adds information. We can demonstrate this in the lab so it's watertight.

robindch wrote: »
    Horse + donkey = mule.

QED.

Lion + tiger = liger. Napoleon Dynamite made it sound like a joke but they're real, if rare.

That sorta ignores gene duplication followed by standard mutation which adds information. We can demonstrate this in the lab so it's watertight.

Whats that? Creationists ignoring evidence which is inconvenient to their assumptions? Never.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Homo sapiens belongs to the kind Man. It differs from similar-looking kinds - apes - in its incompatibility to breed with them, for example.
    Wolfsbane wrote:
    Kinds in that case could refer to species in many cases. There are a minimum of 2 million species. Some species may interbreed though so it may alternately refer to genera, of which there are hundreds of thousands and which interbreed with much greater difficulty.

Either way, this leaves us with a conservative estimate of some 800,000-1,000,000 kinds (which biologists would view as a set of genera and species) based only on interbreeding restriction. Would that be a fair assessment?

Well Wolfie you walked right into that one :rolleyes:

If "kinds" cannot evolve into different kinds, and a classification of a kind is that it cannot breed with others then you a pretty much putting kinds on the level of species or genera, of which there are hundreds of thousands of known genera (millions of species), possibly a lot more unknown ones.

So if you can't create new kinds, since kinds cannot evolve outside of kinds (they can only rearrange existing genetic material, not produce new genetic material), how many kinds were on the Ark? And if it was only a tiny sub-set of kinds alive today where did the new kinds come from if the Ark kinds could not evolve into different kinds?

Or to put that question another way: at what point do you stop pretending you guys have any idea what a "kind" is supposed to be :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

By the same logic are you saying the orangutan and gorilla are different kinds to each other? After all they cannot breed with each other. In fact if we take that line of thinking to the next logical step and apply it rationally it would seem your definition of a 'kind' is pretty much the same as what others call a 'species'.

From your earlier posts I gathered that a 'kind' was like a template or 'basal' creature which several other similar creatures evolved from. Example:
    The common frog;
    image?id=12770&rendTypeId=4
    could change into other species or 'kinds' of frog like the flying frog;
    wallaces-flying-frog.jpg
    or the giant toad;
    _42733833_toadzillalongfgetty203.jpg

Either way your use of 'kinds' really isn't helping proceedings at all. It would be more helpful to all involved if you just addressed them as species (or even genera) like everyone else does.

edit: of course I'm not saying the modern day common frog is necessarily ancestral to these other frogs, just something like it is the most likely.

Well Wolfie you walked right into that one :rolleyes:

Awww, I was laying a creationist trap and you went and sprung it too soon! Now all I have is a trap full of leaves and a spooked creationist that I won't be able to catch for ages. :(

Well I guess we pretty much got his definition of "kinds" nailed down anyway. The ark resuced a minimum of 800,000 pairs or 1.6 million organisms of various sizes. If we assume 90% of these were microorganisms that either took up negligible space or did not require rescuing from the flood... that gives us about 160,000 non-interbreedable animals. That's at the conservative end of the scale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Awww, I was laying a creationist trap and you went and sprung it too soon! Now all I have is a trap full of leaves and a spooked creationist that I won't be able to catch for ages. :(

Well I guess we pretty much got his definition of "kinds" nailed down anyway. The ark resuced a minimum of 800,000 pairs or 1.6 million organisms of various sizes. If we assume 90% of these were microorganisms that either took up negligible space or did not require rescuing from the flood... that gives us about 160,000 non-interbreedable animals. That's at the conservative end of the scale.

What size of an Ark are we looking at in this scenario? An ark that is 450 feet long X 75 feet wide and 45 feet high seems like a tight squeeze :).

marco_polo wrote: »
    What size of an Ark are we looking at in this scenario? An ark that is 450 feet long X 75 feet wide and 45 feet high seems like a tight squeeze :).

Well, I've done my part of the calculations. If someone has a figure for the volume of space occupied by the average animal I guess we could take it a little further.

Oh sod it. Wild speculation for fun:

We're probably talking about something on the order of 100,000 cubic meters (average half a cubic meter per animal), assuming the animals are each kept separate and aren't allowed to move. You'd need a whole lot of people to look after them too (if each person tends 100 animals we need 1600 crew just for the feeding and dung shovelling) and space for food and supplies. Crew makes another 5000 cubic meters, food and supplies perhaps 80,000-100,000 cubic meters.

Shall we say about the size of an aircraft carrier? Conservatively about 300 meters by 50 meters by 10 floors. Made primarily of wood.

This estimate allows us a very cramped, smelly and unhygenic ark. I think the bible also describes mills facilities and ovens. There'd also need to be open areas to tend to animals during stall cleanup and for vetinary examination and cleaning.

Also I have heard it said that some versions of the tale specify 7 pairs of each kind... that might help to stave off the mass extinction that would follow from trying to restart 80,000 species from a 2 individual genetic bottle-neck. It would also make our boat much larger.

Well, I've done my part of the calculations. If someone has a figure for the volume of space occupied by the average animal I guess we could take it a little further.

Oh sod it. Wild speculation for fun:

We're probably talking about something on the order of 100,000 cubic meters (average half a cubic meter per animal), assuming the animals are each kept separate and aren't allowed to move. You'd need a whole lot of people to look after them too (if each person tends 100 animals we need 1600 crew just for the feeding and dung shovelling) and space for food and supplies. Crew makes another 5000 cubic meters, food and supplies perhaps 80,000-100,000 cubic meters.

Shall we say about the size of an aircraft carrier? Conservatively about 300 meters by 50 meters by 10 floors. Made primarily of wood.

This estimate allows us a very cramped, smelly and unhygenic ark. I think the bible also describes mills facilities and ovens. There'd also need to be open areas to tend to animals during stall cleanup and for vetinary examination and cleaning.

Also I have heard it said that some versions of the tale specify 7 pairs of each kind... that might help to stave off the mass extinction that would follow from trying to restart 80,000 species from a 2 individual genetic bottle-neck. It would also make our boat much larger.

Hahaha, its so funny when you attempt to empirically explain bible events such as the Ark.

:D

Hahaha, its so funny when you attempt to empirically explain bible events such as the Ark.

Quiet you! I've already started building it! Now if you want to make up for ruining my creationist trap you can pitch in. I need someone to deforest Wicklow for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Not including all the "kinds" that are now extinct, such as dinosaurs, that must have been on the Ark.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Lucky the EU wasn't around in those days. Still in Old Testament times when murder and rape were practially considered a sport, I guess animal welfare was not a big issue. :eek:
    The rules for animals being transported within the European Union require rest periods. The rules say that unweaned animals (still drinking their mothers' milk) are allowed to travel for nine hours before being given one hour's rest; pigs for 24 hours, with access to water, before a break; horses for 24 hours with access to water every eight hours; while cattle, sheep and goats may travel for 14 hours before being given one hour's rest and water.

• Advertisement

Not including all the "kinds" that are now extinct, such as dinosaurs, that must have been on the Ark.

Indeed, that certainly bumps up the volume of creatures! Unless of course those fossils were put there to test our faith, like they used to assert!

:pac::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement