Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Wicknight wrote: »
    Not including all the "kinds" that are now extinct, such as dinosaurs, that must have been on the Ark.

They were only babies dinosaurs so they didn't need that much room. :rolleyes: And they only needed a few ones anyway, which then "kindiated" into the different types such as this:

walters_450.jpg

And this:

dinomatthewritten.jpg
    Indeed, that certainly bumps up the volume of creatures! Unless of course those fossils were put there to test our faith, like they used to assert!

:pac::pac:

No I believe the latest "evidence" suggests that fossilization must have occured after the flood or else all the dinosaur fossils would have been destroyed.

No need to thank me I get my buzz soley from spreading knowledge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Here is AiG's take on the vessel:

ark-size.jpg

And Ken Ham's museum sheds some light:

1042182297_2809e9431d.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Not including all the "kinds" that are now extinct, such as dinosaurs, that must have been on the Ark.

My estimate should have included those I think- I included their genera anyway. That said, I really didn't account for the extra space that would imply.

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on 3 million 12-inch nails?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Wild speculation for fun:
    We did Noah's Ark a few months back; not sure if you were on the thread at that point.

But yes, when you do the sums, the story falls to bits almost as fast as the ark would, had it had been built as described. Wolfsbane helpfully produced a link on AiG to an article, written by a couple of Korean blokes, which claimed to be a structural analysis of the ark. Needless to say, it was long on tech-speak, but strangely short of what might be termed "actual detail".

A lot further back, somebody else took the dimensions of the ark, worked out how many animals you could fit on it, then worked out an implied speciation rate which would be necessary to have the ark's contents produce the range of species we can see. I seem to remember (but am probably wrong) that everything had to speciate every few hours.

Somebody else spent posted about how kangaroos would have travelled from Mount Ararat to Australia, while speciating constantly, with all the intermediate species helpfully evaporating into thin air and leaving no fossils behind.

And I think that I did the one about how people spread from Ararat to South America at a rate of a hundred yards or so per week, while developing asiatic features (and unrelated languages and cultures) with enough food on their backs to maintain themselves all the way; without refrigeration too. Then, there was the "where did the flood water come from and go to" thing which suggested a 1,500-km iceball hitting the earth without leaving a crater, melting immediately (producing the flood), then having the water disappear underground, leaving the Earth's stone crust floating on 8km of water. Stone floats on water -- yes, if you're a creationist!

Somebody else did the one about lions having to eat six-month old fish for reasons which have thankfully deserted me.

Anyhow, yes, it really is fun doing Creation Science(tm)! :)

• Advertisement

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on 3 million 12-inch nails?

LOL, and Noah built it on his own, am I right about that?

robindch wrote: »
    We did Noah's Ark a few months back; not sure if you were on the thread at that point.

But yes, when you do the sums, the story falls to bits almost as fast as the ark would, had it had been built as described. Wolfsbane helpfully produced a link on AiG to an article, written by a couple of Korean blokes, which claimed to be a structural analysis of the ark. Needless to say, it was long on tech-speak, but strangely short of what might be termed "actual detail".

A lot further back, somebody else took the dimensions of the ark, worked out how many animals you could fit on it, then worked out an implied speciation rate which would be necessary to have the ark's contents produce the range of species we can see. I seem to remember (but am probably wrong) that everything had to speciate every few hours.

Somebody else spent posted about how kangaroos would have travelled from Mount Ararat to Australia, while speciating constantly, with all the intermediate species helpfully evaporating into thin air and leaving no fossils behind.

And I think that I did the one about how people spread from Ararat to South America at a rate of a hundred yards or so per week, while developing asiatic features (and unrelated languages and cultures) with enough food on their backs to maintain themselves all the way; without refrigeration too. Then, there was the "where did the flood water come from and go to" thing which suggested a 1,500-km iceball hitting the earth without leaving a crater, melting immediately (producing the flood), then having the water disappear underground, leaving the Earth's stone crust floating on 8km of water. Stone floats on water -- yes, if you're a creationist!

Somebody else did the one about lions having to eat six-month old fish for reasons which have thankfully deserted me.

Anyhow, yes, it really is fun doing Creation Science(tm)! :)

Oh yeah, I remember that one! IIRC, one of Scofflaw's posts were legendary. I will try to dig it up.

:D

This is it:
    I'm afraid this argument almost exactly demonstrates the difference between the scientific and the pseudo-scientific approaches.

On the one hand, we know scientifically that lots of animals can only live on a restricted diet - more often the herbivores than the carnivores, in fact - koala bears being a very good example, since they eat only eucalyptus leaves. Fructivores, of course, would have been equally badly off, since soft fruit would neither survive the flood, nor be available again for perhaps years afterwards. Insectivores would also find it impossible to survive, since insects were not taken onto the ark. While some insects may have survived clinging to the famous 'mats of vegetation', you're not talking about a whole ant colony (a) surviving, and (b) digging themselves a new nest in time to become dinner for a hungry pangolin - and pangolins eat pounds of insects each day.

On the other hand, in the broad brush-strokes of pseudo-science, we have "carnivores eat meat, carrion is meat, therefore carnivores were OK", or "insectivores eat insects, there were insects, therefore insectivores were OK" - and the debate is over.

The whole point is moot, of course, since these animals were mutating every 3.5 hours anyway, while trying to get from Ararat to their eventual 'destinations' quickly enough to leave no fossil traces of their passing - in the case of the koala bears, down to Australia and across the Wallace Line along with every single other marsupial, presumably carrying eucalyptus seeds. I pity them, for they had only tiny little leggies, and thousands of miles to travel.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Thankfully, I'm not Noah. I'm a scientist! This means that I can use undergraduate students as slave labour. And I can use a nail gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

This is it

I LOL'd again... "Tiny little leggies"

*Snigger*

robindch wrote: »

I joined about half way through that debate and didn't take a shot at it. I figured it had progressed too far for me to jump in mid way. I may have commented on the genetic bottleneck caused by the two-by-two strategy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

No, you are wrong about that. For a start, he had his wife, his three sons and their wives. And nothing to stop him employing outside labour.

Next, he had 120 years to complete the task.

The logistics look better now?

wolfsbane wrote: »
    No, you are wrong about that. For a start, he had his wife, his three sons and their wives. And nothing to stop him employing outside labour.

Not really. That requires us to explain how a neolithic/bronze age man could firstly have lived to an age that has yet to be reached with modern medical intervention and secondly could have built an aircraft carrier out of wood without it collapsing even in the absence of a raging world-wide flood.

This has all been debated before though.

Right, so at best four men using bronze age technology to make a ship the size of the Titanic out of wood, which was wood based on bronze age technology. I would give them 1,000 years and I still wouldnt fancy their chances.

Wicknight said:
    Well Wolfie you walked right into that one
    Glad to oblige. :D - but let's see what exactly I am alleged to have walked into:
    If "kinds" cannot evolve into different kinds, and a classification of a kind is that it cannot breed with others then you a pretty much putting kinds on the level of species or genera, of which there are hundreds of thousands of known genera (millions of species), possibly a lot more unknown ones.
    There you go - 100% wrong from the word 'Go'. Kind is not on the level of species or genera just because some of the latter cannot interbreed. Interbreeding is a marker for kind, but not exclusive to it. Hot is a marker for sun, but a lit candle also possesses that characteristic. Logic, Wickie, logic.

BTW, please define what you mean by genera and where you got your figure hundreds of thousands of known genera. How many of those are bacteria and insects? How many are aquatic? Thanks.
    So if you can't create new kinds, since kinds cannot evolve outside of kinds (they can only rearrange existing genetic material, not produce new genetic material),
    Excellent - you have been listening at least, even if you got confused after.
    how many kinds were on the Ark?
    I think the estimates are about 8000. See this for more detail on that and the definition of kind:
    http://creationontheweb.com/images/pdfs/cabook/chapter13.pdf

And if it was only a tiny sub-set of kinds alive today
    It wasn't. There are less kinds alive today.
    where did the new kinds come from if the Ark kinds could not evolve into different kinds?
    They didn't.

But here's a more scientific explanation of kinds than I can give:

What do creationists really teach?

Lerner claims:
    'Most creationists admit the possibility of microevolution but deny that the process can proceed so as to result in diverse species, let alone still broader spectra of living things’

But CMI does not deny speciation — in fact, it is an important part of creationist biology — see Q&A: Speciation. Creationists, starting from the Bible, believe that God created different kinds of organisms, which reproduced ‘after their kinds’ (Gen. 1:11, 12, 21, 24, 25). Thus the biblical kinds would have originally been distinct biological species, i.e. a population of organisms that can interbreed to produce fertile offspring, but that cannot so breed with a different biological species.

But creationists point out that the kind is larger than one of today’s ‘species’. This is because each of the original kinds was created with a vast amount of information. There was enough variety in the information in the original creatures so their descendants could adapt to a wide variety of environments.

Loss of information through mutations (copying mistakes), e.g. in proteins recognizing ‘imprinting’ marks, ‘jumping genes’, natural selection, and genetic drift, can sometimes result in different small populations losing such different information that the offspring from crossing different varieties (hybrids) may be sterile, or not survive. Or changes in song or color might result in birds no longer recognising a mate, so they no longer interbreed. Either way, a new ‘species’ is formed. Thus each created kind may have been the ancestor of several present-day species.2

But again, it’s important to stress that speciation has nothing to do with real evolution (GTE), because it involves sorting and loss of genetic information, rather than new information.

Lerner mocks the idea of ‘kind’ by claiming:
    ‘In creationist literature, however, the breadth of a kind can vary from a species to a phylum, including everything in between.’

But this is fallacious. Creationists have pointed out that as long as two creatures can hybridize with true fertilization, the two creatures are the same kind.3 Also, if two creatures can hybridize with the same third creature, they are all members of the same kind.4,5 Any problems with ‘the breadth of a kind’ are actually due to inconsistencies in the man-made classification system, not the term ‘kind’. That is, organisms classified as different ‘species’, and even different genera or higher groupings, can produce fertile offspring. This means that they are really the same species that has several varieties, hence a polytypic (many types) species. A number of examples are presented in Ref. 3, and in the article Ligers and wholphins? What next?, including Kekaimalu the wholphin, a fertile hybrid of two different so-called genera.

Some atheistic skeptics have demanded that creationists should list every single ‘kind’. Of course, to even begin to do so, it would be necessary to perform hybridization experiments on all sexually reproducing organisms, so this is unreasonable. And no evolutionist has ever listed all biological species anyway, as opposed to a list of organisms classified into arbitrary man-made groupings classified as species. And the skeptic’s demand for a list of every single kind overlooks the fact that a denotative definition (i.e. exhaustive list) is not the only kind of definition. The hybridization criterion is a more reasonable operational definition, which could in principle enable researchers to list all the kinds.

Lerner also mocked, much the same way as the compromising apologist Hugh Ross:
    ‘In order to avoid overcrowding Noah’s Ark, some creationists adhere to the Biblical term “kinds” rather than species as the limiting barrier to evolution.’

As shown above, the creationist concept of kind has nothing to do with trying to fit things on the Ark, but based on sound biblical exegesis and the concept of hybridisation. In reality, the converse is true — sceptics hate the creationist analysis of ‘kinds’ partly because it neutralizes sceptical attacks on the Ark that try to pack it full of millions of ‘species’, including many which are marine, invertebrate or plant anyway, so could have survived off the Ark. See How did all the animals fit on Noah’s Ark? One sad thing is seeing self-professed Christian apologists like Hugh Ross parrot these atheistic attacks on a global Flood and Ark, and resorting to the long-disproven notion of fixity of species to maintain his old-earth compromise — see Exposé of Hugh Ross book: The Genesis Question.

http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/2891

Flamed Diving said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane

Right, so at best four men using bronze age technology to make a ship the size of the Titanic out of wood, which was wood based on bronze age technology. I would give them 1,000 years and I still wouldnt fancy their chances.
    That's the skill and labour of women firmly excluded, then. :pac:

But ignoring your sexist assumptions, let me remind you again that outside labour could have been called on. Why are you so sure it wasn't? You think Noah's boat was blacklisted by a labour movement? :D

Then too, why do you underestimate the skills of that age? Think of the great monuments that were erected not long after the Flood.

Not really. That requires us to explain how a neolithic/bronze age man could firstly have lived to an age that has yet to be reached with modern medical intervention and secondly could have built an aircraft carrier out of wood without it collapsing even in the absence of a raging world-wide flood.

This has all been debated before though.
    Yes, it has. But just to pick up the longevity bit - neither access to food, medicine or peace were responsible for the antediluvian longevity. It was a part of the original characteristics of man, and was dramatically shortened after the Flood - in my opinion, probably in God's providence to restrain man's wickedness.

An article discussing this:
    Decreased lifespans: Have we been looking in the right place?
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v8/i2/lifespans.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Then too, why do you underestimate the skills of that age? Think of the great monuments that were erected not long after the Flood.

Can you give us some examples please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

But ignoring your sexist assumptions, let me remind you again that outside labour could have been called on. Why are you so sure it wasn't? You think Noah's boat was blacklisted by a labour movement?

I wonder how the hired hands felt about spending 120 years working on the ark, only to find out that they weren't allowed on board because God wanted to kill them all on purpose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

2Scoops wrote: »
    I wonder how the hired hands felt about spending 120 years working on the ark, only to find out that they weren't allowed on board because God wanted to kill them all on purpose?

Harsh. 120 years worth of labour should come with some kind of loyalty bonus.

Now back to the dinosaurs. Poor Mussaurus, always being credited as the smallest of the dinosaurs by ignorant sources - not just our friends at AiG, many other sources including the Guinness Book of Records* have also stated it. The tiny fossil people keep referring to was only a new born. An adult Mussaurus was the size of a medium sized car.
    Just taught I'd throw that out there.

*For the record said books' information on dinosaurs is rarely correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

There you go - 100% wrong from the word 'Go'. Kind is not on the level of species or genera just because some of the latter cannot interbreed. Interbreeding is a marker for kind, but not exclusive to it. Hot is a marker for sun, but a lit candle also possesses that characteristic. Logic, Wickie, logic.
    Ah right, I see. So species within a "kind" may also not be able to breed with each other and still be part of the same "kind"

Have you realised yet why that won't work ... do you need a minute ... :rolleyes:

By the way, neither of those pieces define what a "kind" is (in fact the first says they don't know what the definition is, saying it may be genus it may be family)

How about you define the characteristics of a kind (if you like copy and paste from the definition you use, but please, no more linking to articles that don't contain a definition)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

wrote:
    Originally Posted by Mark Hamill
    The story of Jesus in the bible essentially boils down to this: God sacrificed himself, to himself, to save us from himself.

Originally Posted by J C
    Another example of an Evolutionist taking the evidence and completely mis-interpreting it

Mark Hamill
    Actually I just interpreted the evidence like a (very literal) Christian.
    You agree that God sacrificed Himself....

This is the Biblical truth of the matter to which you refer:-
    Jn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    .....and BTW Jesus didn't die to save us from Himself......He actually died to save us from ourselves.....i.e. from our OWN sinful nature

Mark Hamill
    Who decides where you go when you die in the Christian religion? Answer: God. And what does he base His decision on? Answer: the sins you commit. So by sacrificing Jesus (ie Himself) to save us from our sins, he actually sacrifices Jesus to save us from His having to punish us for our sins.
    So an intepretation of the story of Jesus in the bible can be described as: God sacrificed himself, to himself, to save us from himself. :

Yes, God decides where you go when you die…….but He does NOT base His decision on the sins that you commit……otherwise we would ALL be lost!!!!:eek:

God's decision on your eternal destiny is based on whether or not you are saved……i.e. whether or not you have believed on Jesus Christ to save you!!!!

…..so again, the CORRECT intepretation of the story of Jesus in the bible is according to Jn 3:16
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

wrote:
    Mr Pudding
    I am not scared because I do not believe in your jesus or indeed your god.
    ……OK, so Mr. P…… you do not fear the Creator God of the Universe who will judge you!!!:eek:

wrote:
    Mr Pudding
    I am not scared of not going to one imaginary place after I die and spending eternity in another.

……and, Mr. P…… you do not fear spending an eternity in torment in Hell!!!:eek:

wrote:
    Mr Pudding
    I am not scared because you have roundly, in your own head I might add, defeated the theory of evolution.

……and, Mr. P…… you do not fear the total defeat of the theory of evolution!!!

……so what DOES scare you???:confused:

wrote:
    Mr Pudding
    Here is why I am scared and creeped out. It is the level of self delusion and denial shown by yourself on this thread that scares me.

…..so apparently Mr P ………you ONLY fear little ole ME!!!:eek:

…..well thanks for the compliment…….but if you consider the logic of your position for one moment……you will conclude that fearing me is totally irrational when I only bear love for you and your eternal destiny ……

........if I were you, I would certainly fear falling into the hands of the living God……while still unsaved!!!!:eek:

wrote:
    Mr Pudding
    I genuinely believe that humans should question their origin and everything that they see. What scares me most in the world is seeing humans that have totally lost the will and the ability to question. Humans that, in the face of massive evidence, cling to the belief of an absurd idea of how the world began simply on the basis of a book the truth of which is confirmed by nothing more than a couple of circular arguments.

Yes indeed, Darwin’s book and the whole Evolution business is full of circular reasoning ...and un-critical acceptance by it's believers !!!!!

……but since you will clearly not believe me…….perhaps you will believe some EVOLUTIONISTS on the matter:-
    wrote:
    Sir Arthur Keith, a famous British evolutionary anthropologist and anatomist:-
    "Evolution is unproved and unprovable. We believe it only because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable."

George Wald, another prominent Evolutionist (a Harvard University biochemist and Nobel Laureate):-
    "When it comes to the Origin of Life there are only two possibilities: creation or spontaneous generation. There is no third way. Spontaneous generation was disproved one hundred years ago, but that leads us to only one other conclusion, that of supernatural creation. We cannot accept that on philosophical grounds; therefore, we choose to believe the impossible: that life arose spontaneously by chance!"

H. S. Lipson, FRS, Professor of Physics, University of Manchester:-
    "In fact, evolution became in a sense a scientific religion; almost all scientists have accepted it, and many are prepared to 'bend' their observations to fit with it."

…..IF we are lucky…..perhaps Atomic Horror may even adopt these quotes as his signature…….just like he has adopted the devastating quote from Professor Gould on (the absence of) intermediate structures!!!:pac::):D

J C wrote: »
    Yes, God decides where you go when you die…….but He does NOT base His decision on the sins that you commit……otherwise we would ALL be lost!!!!:eek:

We are all lost JC, that is what your religion teaches. God has decided that we all deserve hell.
    God's decision on your eternal destiny is based on whether or not you are saved……i.e. whether or not you have believed on Jesus Christ to save you!!!!

No, try again :rolleyes:

God has decided we all deserve to go to hell. He then decided that he didn't want this, but was bound by some promise he made to Adam, so the only way he could get out of that was to send his son to Earth to be killed, so he could offer to those who wanted it salvation.

So again, God sacrificed himself, to himself, to save us from himself.

God is bound by his own nature to send us to hell. We are sent to hell by God, and in fact God made hell for him to send us to it. He can't not do that because simply not sending us to hell would break some universal concept of justice and promise, which God can't do. We need to be saved from himself if we are to escape him sending us to hell, because without Jesus' sacrafice God is bound to send us to hell.

But he doesn't want to, he wants to get around the earlier promise, so he send part of himself, Jesus, to Earth. Jesus was then sacrificed to God himself in atonement for the debt we owed to God. This loopholed around the promise he made. Because the debt was paid in full for those who believe, God could then offer a chance for us to be saved from him sending us to hell. If we believe we are covered in the group of people Jesus was prepared to pay for (Jesus apparently wasn't prepared to pay the debt for everyone, only Christians, what a swell guy, heck was only dead for a few hours) and God can then send us to heaven instead of having to send us to hell.

God basically used Jesus to save us from his own punishment. Or to put it another way

God sacrificed himself, to himself, to save us from himself.

Can a Creationist (wolfsbane, looking at you) please define the classification of a "kind" please

ie actually copy and paste the paragraphs from what ever article you are convinced this definition is to be found, here so we can all see it.

I'm getting rather sick of being sent to read articles with the promise of a kind being defined in it only to come back with some wishy-washy reference to the Bible :rolleyes:

....just like Evolution, there is an element of truth in your statement!!!!!

Evolution is a half-truth.....in that Natural Selection and variation within Kinds does occur......BUT evolution across Kind boundaries DOESN'T occur!!!
    ....and Evolution DIDN'T spontaneously morph muck into Man EITHER!!!!:pac::):D

Similarly, God DID allow himself to be sacrificed .......in atonement and to save us from OUR SINS!!!!!!
    God therefore wasn't some kind of psychotic needlessly killing Himself to avoid killing us (as you are suggesting).......He humbled Himself to become a Human ......and He allowed Himself to be sacrificed .....to save us from OURSELVES and our sin condition.....because He LOVED us!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

.......He humbled Himself to become a Human ......and He allowed Himself to be sacrificed .....to save us from OURSELVES and our sin condition.....because He LOVED us!!!:)

Yeah, but what has he done for us lately? :pac:

....just like Evolution, there is an element of truth in your statement!!!!!

Evolution is a half-truth.....in that Natural Selection and variation within Kinds does occur......BUT evolution across Kind boundaries DOESN'T occur!!!

You might want to check with Wolfsbane about that one :rolleyes:

But anyway, back to the matter at hand
    Similarly, God DID sacrificed himself .......in atonement and to save us from OUR SINS!!!!!!

Sin is simply disobedience. "OUR SINS!!!!" don't do anything, nor do human beings have the power to send souls, our own or others, to hell. Sin by itself does nothing as it is simply an action taken by a human to disobey.

God sends us to hell because we are disobedient. It is an action of punishment.

To be saved from hell we must be saved from this action by God, therefore we must be saved from God.
    God therefore wasn't some kind of psychotic needlessly killing Himself to avoid killing us (as you are suggesting)
    I don't remember suggesting anything of the kind.

God doesn't want to send us to hell (any more, he did in the past, and yes it is a bit funny for an omniscient deity to change his mind), but he is bound by his earlier decrees to send all sinners to hell. So basically he can't help it, and we must be saved from him. He in fact recognised that fact which is why he send Jesus.
    .......He humbled Himself to become a Human ......and He allowed Himself to be sacrificed for OUR SINS
    To himself. Sacrificed to himself. The debt we owed God was Adam's debt, the debt of sin. We, since we all sin, owe God penance because we are all disobedient. And that penance is eternal suffering in hell (over kill? possibly, but this is the OT God we are talking about)

But God doesn't actually want this penance. He wants to forgive us for our sins, he doesn't want to send us to hell (why create hell in the first place you ask? good question). He wants to send us to heaven even if we sinned up a storm.

But he can't because of his earlier promise to send sinners to hell. So he needed a massive payment, something that would equal the entire debt of our disobedience.

So how did he pay himself. By sending his son, Jesus, to Earth to be sacrifice on the cross. This payment was send by God and paid to God. Bad accounting (simply shifting assets) certain, but heck it seemed to please God's sense of justice and promise, and who are we to argue. If God is happy to receive payment of something he himself paid, we ain't going to argue.

So again -

We are all lost JC, that is what your religion teaches. God has decided that we all deserve hell.

Yes, the BAD news is that in and of ourselves .....we are all LOST!!!

.....but GOOD news is that we can all be SAVED by believing on Jesus Christ to save us!!!:D

....and with that beautiful thought I will head to bed!!!:D

.....love you all!!!!!!!!!

Logic then. Kinds are not defined by their inability to interbreed, though it is a feature of all of the kinds. Are you saying that there is a heirarchical level below "kind", subsets, that also does not allow interbreeding? If so, how did these arise?
    BTW, please define what you mean by genera and where you got your figure hundreds of thousands of known genera. How many of those are bacteria and insects? How many are aquatic? Thanks.

Genera in modern taxonomy is the second lowest level of order used to group organisms. It sits just above species, the lowest level. In biology when naming a species we name it this way:

Homo (the genus) sapiens (the species).

Above genera are many other levels of organisation. The genus Homo has been known to contain a number of species, two of which became intelligent tool users during the neolithic age. These species were Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthalensis. Perhaps because they lived side-by-side, only Homo sapiens now remains. Most genera contain a great many species, most of which cannot interbreed.

The number of genera is not in the hundreds of thousands- we were trying to establish the number of kinds following your definition. Kinds as defined by their inability to interbreed would number in the hundreds of thousands. Genera tend to disallow interbreeding, but so do most species within those genera. I threw out a rough figure of 90% of these as being not requiring of rescuing by the ark by dint of being micro-organisms, insects, aquatic... does 10% of known species being land animals sound too high?

Yes, the BAD news is that in and of ourselves .....we are all LOST!!!

.....but GOOD news is that we can all be SAVED by believing on Jesus Christ to save us!!!:D

....and with that beautiful thought I will head to bed!!!:D

.....love you all!!!!!!!!!

Hallelujah?

• Advertisement

2Scoops wrote: »
    Yeah, but what has he done for us lately? :pac:

Actually I had some issues with my ark project and He sorted me out. Long story short, loaves and fishes also works for nails.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement