Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

This followed a well written and taught out post by AtomicHorror.
    J C wrote: »
    .....I'm glad that you got all that off your chest.......but I must say that I would prefer to read something that is less labyrinthine and easier to understand.................like the writings of James Joyce!!!!:pac::):D

.......now, let me think........ where did I leave that copy of Ulysses??????:D

So in essence J C decided that AM's argument put him in his place and would rather avoid discussing the issue.
    Unless of course J C would like to make a proper comment we may just have to assume this is what he is doing.
    For the record it is pretty hypocritical for J C to call AM's post 'labyrinthine' since AM uses correct terminology and punctuation, something J C has neglected to do. Certainly AM's post are much easier to read. That is assuming one went to school in an English speaking country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

PDN wrote: »
    For the same reason that we allow nonChristian posters to use misleading terminology on this board. You are free to challenge him and argue against his terminology, just as we are free to challenge and argue against those who use terminolgy such as 'homophobe' in a misleading way.

There's a world of difference between what J C maiking up his own terminology and other people using homophobe in its literal sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

For the same reason that we allow nonChristian posters to use misleading terminology on this board. You are free to challenge him and argue against his terminology, just as we are free to challenge and argue against those who use terminolgy such as 'homophobe' in a misleading way.

Er, you had a big blow up threatening bans a few weeks ago over non-Christian posters "trolling" by, in your opinion, purposefully misrepresenting Christian position on issues.

Why is JC, someone who happily admits he doesn't accept evolutionary biology and who has been demonstrated to understand hardly any of it, allowed to continuously misrepresent what the theory of evolution actually says, a theory that is very well defined and not even something that as ambiguous or in need of detailed interpretation as the Christian doctrine is.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

.....I'm glad that you got all that off your chest.......but I must say that I would prefer to read something that is less labyrinthine and easier to understand.................like the writings of James Joyce!!!!:pac::):D

Interesting... I already replied to this post but since then it has been curiously edited. It originally cited the Lisbon Treaty instead of James Joyce. I have to wonder why the edit was made.

With respect PDN, "homophobe" has a well-established meaning. If the term is clearly being misused you would be well within your rights to take action on that. I take issue with J_C's use of invented terminology.

"Spontaneous Evolution" is often cited by him as something that we "evolutionists" are supporting. When he is asked to define this term it emerges that his definition does not describe either of the topics at hand. These are the abiogenesis hypotheses and Darwinian Evolution.

"Muck to Man Evolution" is another term he uses which does not appear anywhere but on this board (perhaps it features on a creationist website somewhere). It suggests that Evolution and abiogenesis are one and the same when they are not. It also suggests that modern humans suddenly sprang from "muck", which is not anyone's contention.

"Goo to you evolution" is a phrase which he explained and which means evolution from single-celled life to complex life including humans. This is in fact valid but has another name. Darwinian Evolution or the Theory of Evolution. These are established terms which are well-defined. J_C uses his own term essentially as a trap. Someone denies "goo to you" (having not clarified its meaning in several pages) and then he can jump on them and pronounce that they have just denied Darwinian Evolution.

He is playing word games in a debate which will necessarily feature enough difficult (albeit defined) jargon as it is without him wading in with emotive and misleading phrases of his own invention. Perhaps there is little in the charter to prohibit word games, but since you have previously stated that you would take action against misleading language it would seem only fair that this come to your attention.

robindch wrote: »
    Nah. Think I'd prefer Ken the Beard to stay in orbit.

Closer to God that way...

• Advertisement

Interesting commentary in New Scientist:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/opinion/mg19826612.300-commentary-stop-creationists-undermining-school-science.html?DCMP=ILC-hmts&nsref=specrt12_pic

It's delivered in their usual inflammatory style but it certainly helps to illustrate why this debate is important. Perhaps the growth of ignorance is not as significant here in Europe, but the inaction and silence of those who promote reason would very quickly change that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Wicknight wrote: »
    Why is JC, someone who happily admits he doesn't accept evolutionary biology and who has been demonstrated to understand hardly any of it, allowed to continuously misrepresent what the theory of evolution actually says
    Well, JC actually does accept all the foundation blocks of evolutionary biology, she just don't admit that it amounts to anything. That's a bit like her saying that she's happy that the world is round, but doesn't accept that if you keep going in one direction, you'll eventually wrap around. The "muck to man" thing is a bit tiresome, I have to say, and all the more so since it's been repeated for three years nonstop and in suspicious ignorance of the fact that this is what Genesis says. But when that's the only arrow in one's quiver, I suppose she can't help but using it all the time!

Of course, there's the simpler argument that without JC, this thread would probably run into the sand fairly quickly, so I suppose we do have her to thank for that :)

Well, JC actually does accept all the foundation blocks of evolutionary biology, she just don't admit that it amounts to anything. That's a bit like her saying that she's happy that the world is round, but doesn't accept that if you keep going in one direction, you'll eventually wrap around. The "muck to man" thing is a bit tiresome, I have to say, and all the more so since it's been repeated for three years nonstop and in suspicious ignorance of the fact that this is what Genesis says. But when that's the only arrow in one's quiver, I suppose she can't help but using it all the time!

Of course, there's the simpler argument that without JC, this thread would probably run into the sand fairly quickly, so I suppose we do have her to thank for that :)

Have we been assuming J_C's gender incorrectly?

Have we been assuming J_C's gender incorrectly?

Only a woman could be that stubborn

... I'll get my coat ...

Only a woman could be that stubborn

... I'll get my coat ...

If the thread's in any danger of stagnating, that should stir things up.

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure. Wolfsbane has generated some pretty interesting discussion, albeit more coherently.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. Wolfsbane has generated some pretty interesting discussion, albeit more coherently.

I wouldn't advocate banning J_C. I'd just like to see an actual scientific debate here. If anything, J_C serves our cause far better than any reasoned argument by making creationists look like incoherent scare-mongers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Actually, I'd recommend Ulysses. It might do you some good to read something that requires you to think.

Anyways, that post isn't too difficult to read, just long. I understood it and I'm certainly not a man of science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I've skipped this thread for three weeks now, and I come back to find that the creationist argument still consists of:

" ...... :D:D:):p!!! ....:p:p:) "

/sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Oh, btw, there's some Ken Ham here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

news_logo.gif
    Fossil fills out water-land leap
    By Matt McGrath
    BBC science correspondent
    Scientists say a fossil of a four-legged fish sheds new light on the process of evolution.
    The creature had a fish-like body but the head of an animal more suited to land than water.
    The researchers' study, published in the journal Nature, says Ventastega curonica would have looked similar to a small alligator.
    Scientists say the 365-million-year-old species eventually became an evolutionary dead end.
    Counting digits
    About one hundred million years before dinosaurs began to roam the Earth, Ventastega was to be found in the shallow waters and tidal estuaries of modern day Latvia.
    According to lead author, Professor Per Ahlberg, from Uppsala University, Sweden, this creature had the head of a tetrapod, an animal adapted to live on land. The body, though, was fish-like but with four primitive flippers.
    "From a distance, it would have looked like an alligator. But closer up, you would have noticed a real tail fin at the back end, a gill flap at the side of the head; also lines of pores snaking across head and body.

"In terms of construction, it had already undergone most of the changes from fish towards land animal, but in terms of lifestyle you are still looking at an animal that is habitually aquatic."
    Experts believe that Ventastega was an important staging post in the evolutionary journey that led creatures from the sea to the land. Scientists once believed that these early amphibious animals descended in a linear fashion, but this discovery instead confirms these creatures diversified into different branches along the way.
    Professor Ahlberg points to the discovery of a fossil called Tiktaalik in Canada in 2004. It is believed to be the "missing link" in the gap between fish and land mammals. Ventastega is a later species but is a more primitive form of transition animal.
    " Ventastega fills the gap between Tiktaalik and the earliest land based mammals. All these changes in these creatures are not going in lockstep; it's a mosaic with different parts of animal evolving at different rates. Ventastega has acquired some of land-animal characteristics, but has not yet got some of the other ones."
    For instance, the creature had primitive feet - but with a high number of digits.
    Superb sands
    "I would draw the inference that Ventastega probably had limbs very much like Acanthostega (another transitional species). These were little things sticking out of the sides, with a strangely high number of digits. You would have seven, eight, maybe even nine toes per foot, rather than five or so which you would expect to find in modern day animals," the Uppsala scientist explained.
    Unfortunately for Ventastega, a multitude of toes does not inevitably lead to evolutionary success. It eventually died out. Other creatures went on to become our very distant land-living ancestors.
    Scientists are delighted with the quality of these Latvian fossils, saying they are really well preserved. Professor Ahlberg believes it is due to some of the geological characteristics of the area.
    "This region has had a very quiet geological history since that time, and as a result the rocks have not been folded or squashed up to form mountains.
    "We still find sediments not yet properly turned to rock. These fossils were found in compact, wet sand. It's not sandstone, it's sand; you dig it with a breadknife.
    "Once you take it back to the lab very carefully, you can remove the remainder of the sand with brushes and needles. These fossils are fragile but superbly preserved. They are actually three dimensional, not flat. It makes it very easy to interpret the skeleton."

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/7473470.stm

Published: 2008/06/25 18:00:09 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

and another

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/shortsharpscience/2008/06/creationist-critics-get-their.html?DCMP=ILC-hmts&nsref=specrt11_head_Anti-nonsense

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I'd be a little worried that Lenksi is playing into the hands of the skeptics. The humour is giving them ammunition and it might be in everyone's best interests to publish the raw data. Mind you, I have little doubt that every little variance would be pounced upon as "evidence" of impropriety. As Lenski points out, this forgone conclusion is very evident in the discussions which lead up to the letters.

Ultimately, it isn't the raw data that matters, but whether the experiment can be independently reproduced. Other labs could quite quickly reproduce the experiment from more recent time points using stocks of Lenski's bacteria but for a full independent reproduction, we're going to need 20 years.

*sigh* I'll start tomorrow.

Wonderful

Wolfsbane read that (heck read the paper if you think you will understand it), JC read that (I would recommend you don't read the paper, you won't understand it)

For fun you can both read Behe's blog that states that what happened is clearly impossible, thus demonstrating that Intelligent Design must be involved in what science views as evolution, despite the fact that this clearly isn't impossible because it just happened (twice in fact).

At least my view that Behe is an idiot was confirmed (seriously, arguing that something that just happened couldn't happen and using the fact taht it did happen to support that idea that it is impossible it can happen ... bravo)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNK3U696N278Z93O

Right, can we all go home now.

(seriously, arguing that something that just happened couldn't happen and using the fact that it did happen to support that idea that it is impossible it can happen ... bravo)

Wow, that's not even circular reasoning..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Perhaps when your head is clear you can offer us a rebuttal. Unless of course, as happened the last time you and I debated, you suddenly find "nothing substantive" to refute.
    ......yes, I made my points.....and you made your 'Joycean' rebuttal......and, surprise, surprise....... I found that there was nothing substantive (from a scientific viewpoint) to refute!!!:D
    .....I could have made some 'arty' observations......but I opted to not do so on this occasion......and I also had to go to bed because I was tired and I had to be up early to fly abroad the following morning!!!!:D

Nope, as you know very well! It's the "spontaneous" bit that's complete rubbish!! :)
    ......that is what I have been telling you all along.......Spontaneous Evolution is indeed complete rubbish..........because nothing as complex as the information that specifies living organisms could arise spontaneously........and it could ONLY therefore have been CREATED!!!!:pac::D

He (Robin) very obviously didn't know what you meant- how could he? If you will insist on using a proprietary language to discuss science, people will misunderstand. Your intention, I assume.
    .......yes Robin seems to be 'all shook up' about many things.......he is even fantasising that I am a WOMAN!!!!!

I came across the following quote from 'The Devil's Delusion' by David Berlinski who is a leading Jewish scientist.......
    David's basic thesis is that militant Atheism is 'on the march' and out to defeat theism, with a self-serving definition of science which he describes as follows:-
    "(It is) an ideological system whose proponents are persuaded that access to the truth is in their hands (and) requires an equally general defense against criticism. As one might expect, it (the general defense) lies close at hand.
    The sciences, many scientists argue, require no critcism because the sciences comprise a uniquely self-critical institution, with questionable theories passing constantly before stern appellate review. Judgement is unrelenting, and impartial. Individual scientists may make mistakes, but like the Communist Party under Lenin, science is infallible because it's judgements are collective. Criticas are unneeded, and since they are unneeded, they are unwelcome."

.......the scientific observations of ID proponents and Creationists are particularly unneeded in the minds of Militant Atheists .....and they are therefore also particularly unwelcome......as this thread amply attests!!!!!:eek::)

wrote:
    Originally Posted by Wicknight
    (seriously, arguing that something that just happened couldn't happen and using the fact that it did happen to support that idea that it is impossible it can happen ... bravo)

Galvasean
    ........but it is typical of the turgid 'Joycean' prose with which some ultra-orthodox Evolutionists confuse themselves!!!!:D

......maybe the Evolutionists should combine Darwin Day with Bloomsday......the Evolutionists could then spend the day reading extracts of Evolutionary Doggerel to the Joyceans.....and visa versa!!!!:D

......a fun time could be had by all....and Robin could get a chance to show off his straw hat and bow tie......as well as his green breeches and bicycle clips!!!

......meanwhile, Creation Scientists and ID proponents could get at least one day per year to focus on some real science, free from the distraction of having to rebut Evolutionists and their 'Artistic Ideas'.:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

......yes, I made my points.....and you made your 'Joycean' rebuttal......and, surprise, surprise....... I found that there was nothing substantive (from a scientific viewpoint) to refute!!!:D

So you must agree!!! :):)D::D:D:D:D:):D):)!

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    ......yes, I made my points.....and you made your 'Joycean' rebuttal......and, surprise, surprise....... I found that there was nothing substantive (from a scientific viewpoint) to refute!!!

The Hitcher
    So you must agree!!! :):)D::D:D:D:D:):D):)!
    .......I also found that there was nothing substantive (from a scientific viewpoint) to agree with either!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Crocoduck Rex

Oh, btw, there's some Ken Ham here.

Hi folks, delurking for first post.

Your ref to the esteemed Ken H causes me to mention his important influence on Dembski's latest book: http://mollycularity.blogspot.com/2008/06/towering-intellectual-force-that-is-dr.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Spontaneous Evolution is indeed complete rubbish..........because nothing as complex as the information that specifies living organisms could arise spontaneously
    Yes indeed, and as I said above, I have no idea why you keep obsessing about the obviously daft idea that life suddenly showed up "spontaneously". I think you've been reading too many creationist books that reproduce this silly notion -- why not try one by a biologist that might actually be more honest about what science actually says? :):)
    .......yes Robin seems to be 'all shook up' about many things.......he is even fantasising that I am a WOMAN!!!!!
    I can assure you JC, that I do not fantasize about you at all! At all!!

But seriously, I have to keep my mind open the possibility that you are, after all, a woman and not the man you sometimes claim you are. After all, your postings have been found to be somewhat less than entirely accurate everywhere else!! :)

Originally Posted by Wicknight

Galvasean

........but it is typical of the turgid 'Joycean' prose with which some ultra-orthodox Evolutionists confuse themselves!!!!:D

You do realise that they're discussing the writings of an ID proponent, right? Joycean prose would be a compliment. The blog has very obvious flaws.
    ......maybe the Evolutionists should combine Darwin Day with Bloomsday......the Evolutionists could then spend the day reading extracts of Evolutionary Doggerel to the Joyceans.....and visa versa!!!!:D

......a fun time could be had by all....and Robin could get a chance to show off his straw hat and bow tie......as well as his green breeches and bicycle clips!!!

......meanwhile, Creation Scientists and ID proponents could get at least one day per year to focus on some real science, free from the distraction of having to rebut Evolutionists and their 'Artistic Ideas'.:eek::D

For someone who writes in a barely-comprehensible stream of consiousness, you talk an awful lot about other people writing like Joyce.
    ......that is what I have been telling you all along.......Spontaneous Evolution is indeed complete rubbish..........because nothing as complex as the information that specifies living organisms could arise spontaneously........and it could ONLY therefore have been CREATED!!!!:pac::D

Nobody is making the above claim. Darwinian Evolution is a non-spontateous process. By implying we are making the above claim, you are lying.

I have no problem discussing the matter in purely scientific terms. However, I do think that'd give you the perfect exuse to accuse me of playing word games. There were plenty of substantive points, scientific and otherwise, made in my post. You won't argue against them because you are unable. Feel free to prove me wrong.
    .....I could have made some 'arty' observations......but I opted to not do so on this occasion......and I also had to go to bed because I was tired and I had to be up early to fly abroad the following morning!!!!:D

Why is this relevant? Are you worried people read your absence as some brief defeat? Nobody cares.

• Advertisement

You know J C if you just admitted that you could not be bothered reading long posts (missing out IMO, Atomic Horror's one was quite good) and ask for a brief summary of certain points rather than trying to dismiss it (as being too well written?) you might get less flak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement