Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

What's this? Mainstream scientists supporting a part of the Old Testament?

Biblical 'Solomon's mines' confirmed by dating

Standard radiometric dating gives an age of 3000 years for the mines in southern Jordan. This supports the hypothesis that the mines were excavated under the rule of the biblical figures David and his son, Solomon.

My question to the creationists would be; do you accept the radiometric data this time? To my fellows in the Atheist Materialist Conspiracy; how shall we punish the high impact journal PNAS for straying from the Great Plan? How shall we punish New Scientist for supporting this Blasphemous Claim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Standard radiometric dating gives an age of 3000 years for the mines in southern Jordan. This supports the hypothesis that the mines were excavated under the rule of the biblical figures David and his son, Solomon.

My question to the creationists would be; do you accept the radiometric data this time? To my fellows in the Atheist Materialist Conspiracy; how shall we punish the high impact journal PNAS for straying from the Great Plan? How shall we punish New Scientist for supporting this Blasphemous Claim?

I don't think anyone suggested that the bible was not written thousands of years ago.

That's like saying

Ah Ha! Scientists have proved than London exists. It says he went to visit there in one of the Harry Potter books. Therefor Harry Potter Books = Fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think AH's main point was that Creationists like to label radiometric dating as flawed and unreliable when it shows things that are against their agenda. I wonder will they accept it this time round when it tells them what they want to hear.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I think AH's main point was that Creationists like to label radiometric dating as flawed and unreliable when it shows things that are against their agenda. I wonder will they accept it this time round when it tells them what they want to hear.

Oops, there is me seeing creationists in the shadows again =)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

oeb wrote: »
    Scientists have proved than London exists. It says he went to visit there in one of the Harry Potter books. Therefor Harry Potter Books = Fact!
    Interesting to see how much of JC's arguments boil down to this. No doubt all men are Socrates in her strange world!

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone suggested that the bible was not written thousands of years ago.

That's like saying

Ah Ha! Scientists have proved than London exists. It says he went to visit there in one of the Harry Potter books. Therefor Harry Potter Books = Fact!

Not quite what I was saying- my point was firstly as Galv says that the creationists will find themselves in the awkward position of accepting a date based on C14 results. By exactly the same measure the world is at least 10 times older than it ought to be by their reckoning. It also neatly refutes a contention made by Wolfsbane on several occasions that scientists have a motive to suppress data that supports a literal interpretation of Genesis. This shows us that they'll pretty much just call it as they see it. That's science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Oh dear, oh dear.

Not quite what I was saying- my point was firstly as Galv says that the creationists will find themselves in the awkward position of accepting a date based on C14 results. By exactly the same measure the world is at least 10 times older than it ought to be by their reckoning. It also neatly refutes a contention made by Wolfsbane on several occasions that scientists have a motive to suppress data that supports a literal interpretation of Genesis. This shows us that they'll pretty much just call it as they see it. That's science.

As I mentioned a couple of posts back, I misread it (seeing creationists in the shadows). Sorry about that.

It's not uncommon for people to reject scientific knowledge that points out the flaws in their belief, but to happily embrace it (conditionally) when it supports their myths. I think there is a bit on it in either God is Not Great or the God Delusion (or maybe it was on PZ Myers blog)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

It's not uncommon for people to reject scientific knowledge that points out the flaws in their belief, but to happily embrace it (conditionally) when it supports their myths. I think there is a bit on it in either God is Not Great or the God Delusion (or maybe it was on PZ Myers blog)

Ah that's just human nature. We've had atheists here on the Christianity forum who deride theology and biblical studies as 'made-up' disciplines not worthy of notice, but when they find a maverick theologian who supports their views then they quote him like he's the fount of all knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

The existence of King Solomon's mines is not something I've ever looked into, so I'm open to correction on this, but as far as I can remember he sent ships to get the gold & silver. Not necessary if this was the site.

And this was a site for copper, not big on Solomon's shopping list.

So I would reckon the dating on this is no more reliable than on anything else.

• Advertisement

robindch said:
    Why don't you read any of the articles you link to? The errors should be obvious to anybody who's got as far as the kind of thing you study as a teenager in school.
    I'm not sure whether you actually believe that or not. If you do, you are incredibly deluded. If you don't, you are a timewaster. Since I must assume the best of people, I'll go with the former. :D
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    Yeah, no eugenics scientists then. All a big lie by creationists. A smear on Darwinists.

Got it in one
    A eugenics-denialist too! My, you have got it bad. :(
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    More like the Truth hurts when you prefer the lie.

Tried mixing oil and water yet to see if Mr McIntosh is being honest?
    No, I don't wet my finger and put it out the window to see if it is dark.
    Not far into the more lengthy of his two Talk.Origins essays (“The Second Law of Thermodynamics, Evolution, and Probability”), Steiger attributes to “creationists” a:

wide-spread and totally false belief that the second law of thermodynamics does not permit order to spontaneously arise from disorder.
    ...which he then attempts to dispute by means of a grossly erroneous generalization:
    In fact, there are many examples in nature where order does arise spontaneously from disorder: Snowflakes with their six-sided crystalline symmetry are formed spontaneously from randomly moving water vapor molecules. Salts with precise planes of crystalline symmetry form spontaneously when water evaporates from a solution. Seeds sprout into flowering plants and eggs develop into chicks.
    The “order” found in a snowflake or a crystal has nothing to do with increased information, organization or complexity, or available energy (i.e., reduced entropy). The formation of molecules or atoms into geometric patterns such as snowflakes or crystals reflects movement towards equilibrium—a lower energy level, and a more stable arrangement of the molecules or atoms into simple, uniform, repeating structures with minimal complexity, and no function. These are not examples of matter forming itself into more organized or more complex structures or systems (as postulated in evolutionist theory), even though they may certainly reflect “order” in the form of simple patterns.
    Steiger fails to recognize the profound difference between these examples of low-energy molecular crystals and the high-energy growth process of living organisms (seeds sprouting into flowering plants and eggs developing into chicks). His equating these two very different phenomena reveals a serious misunderstanding of thermodynamics (as well as molecular biology) on his part, and he perpetuates this error in the balance of both his essays, as we shall see.

On the other hand, Jeffrey Wicken (an evolutionist) has no problem recognizing the difference, having described it this way:

“‘Organized’ systems are to be carefully distinguished from ‘ordered’ systems. Neither kind of system is ‘random,’ but whereas ordered systems are generated according to simple algorithms and therefore lack complexity, organized systems must be assembled element by element according to an external ‘wiring diagram’ with a high information content ... Organization, then, is functional complexity and carries information. It is non-random by design or by selection, rather than by the a priori necessity of crystallographic ‘order.’”
    [Jeffrey S. Wicken, The Generation of Complexity in Evolution: A Thermodynamic and Information-Theoretical Discussion, Journal of Theoretical Biology, Vol. 77 (April 1979), p. 349]
    Nobel Prize winner Ilya Prigogine also has no problem defining the difference:
    “The point is that in a non-isolated [open] system there exists a possibility for formation of ordered, low-entropy structures at sufficiently low temperatures. This ordering principle is responsible for the appearance of ordered structures such as crystals as well as for the phenomena of phase transitions. Unfortunately this principle cannot explain the formation of biological structures.”
    [I. Prigogine, G. Nicolis and A. Babloyants, Physics Today 25(11):23 (1972)]
    Thaxton, Bradley, and Olsen make the same clear distinction:
    “As ice forms, energy (80 calories/gm) is liberated to the surroundings... The entropy change is negative because the thermal configuration entropy (or disorder) of water is greater than that of ice, which is a highly ordered crystal... It has often been argued by analogy to water crystallizing to ice that simple monomers may polymerize into complex molecules such as protein and DNA. The analogy is clearly inappropriate, however... The atomic bonding forces draw water molecules into an orderly crystalline array when the thermal agitation (or entropy driving force) is made sufficiently small by lowering the temperature. Organic monomers such as amino acids resist combining at all at any temperature, however, much less in some orderly arrangement.”
    [C.B. Thaxton, W.L. Bradley, and R.L. Olsen, The Mystery of Life’s Origin: Reassessing Current Theories, Philosophical Library, New York, 1984, pp. 119-120.]
    Steiger’s blurring of the distinction between these two phenomena can logically be attributed only to either indefensible ignorance or a willful misrepresentation of the facts.

http://www.trueorigin.org/steiger.asp

AtomicHorror responds to JC:
    Will you please stop pasting massive blocks of text into this thread? It is adding nothing and is a nuisance.
    I see JC gave you all a good flogging with his evolutionary cat'o'nine tails. He skinned those cats personally. :D

But I PM'd him about the value of flogging dead horses. It seems they were taken to water, but refused to drink. :D

But seriously, it is the Spirit who speaks life into the dead - so we pray on that our witness will yet bear fruit:
    Acts 19:8 And he went into the synagogue and spoke boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading concerning the things of the kingdom of God. 9 But when some were hardened and did not believe, but spoke evil of the Way before the multitude, he departed from them and withdrew the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus. 10 And this continued for two years, so that all who dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks.

wolfsbane wrote: »
    [
    A eugenics-denialist too! My, you have got it bad. :(

Eugenics has as much to do with evolution as the crusades had to do with Christianity. Some people will use any excuse to force their issues on the world.

So, why are we talking about eugenics? Are you suggesting that a scientific theory demands some behaviour of us?

I see JC gave you all a good flogging with his evolutionary cat'o'nine tails. He skinned those cats personally. :D

Yeah, he did great. I made a post and asked him to refute it and his response was to spam two pages of quotes from every source he could find that mentioned evolution. I reposted it and got more spam. Lots of pages cleared. When it became clear that I wasn't going to let it go, he pretended he couldn't understand what I'd written. You feel like taking a shot at it?
    But I PM'd him about the value of flogging dead horses. It seems they were taken to water, but refused to drink. :D

We drank a few times. It tasted like garbage every time. So we stopped drinking from that particular well. Does that not make sense?
    But seriously, it is the Spirit who speaks life into the dead - so we pray on that our witness will yet bear fruit:
    Acts 19:8 And he went into the synagogue and spoke boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading concerning the things of the kingdom of God. 9 But when some were hardened and did not believe, but spoke evil of the Way before the multitude, he departed from them and withdrew the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus. 10 And this continued for two years, so that all who dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks.

Thank you. That was meaningless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

And the second law forbids the formation of "organised systems" how exactly? :confused:

The existence of King Solomon's mines is not something I've ever looked into, so I'm open to correction on this, but as far as I can remember he sent ships to get the gold & silver. Not necessary if this was the site.

And this was a site for copper, not big on Solomon's shopping list.

Actual evidence of the reigns of David and Solomon is pretty flaky I understand. This actually represents some pretty solid evidence for a well organised civilisation in the right place, at the right time and with the right extent. So, are you saying that they're wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

So that would be pretty reliable then ....

In fact, there are many examples in nature where order does arise spontaneously from disorder: Snowflakes with their six-sided crystalline symmetry are formed spontaneously from randomly moving water vapor molecules.

Wonderful ... can you kindly stop saying this is impossible then. :rolleyes:

There is nothing about the chemical reactions of life that is against the 2LTD.

The argument that life increases "information", which is different to order, is irrelevant because the 2LTD has nothing to do with information, it has to do with energy. Life gets all the energy it needs from the sun or the internal heat of the Earth. It isn't cheating, it is using enery, thus increasing entropy of the universe. The fact that it produces something that is ordered is no different to a snow flake or oil seperating from water. All processes turn useable enery into unusable energy, thus increasing entropy.

Seriously what part of this are you not following/

That person on TrueOrigins doesn't understand the 2LTD either ... again, water, oil, mix ... it is that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

It seems they were taken to water, but refused to drink. :D

We were brought to a dusty, dried-up river bed. Then we were informed that there was actually plenty of water there, even though none could be seen. We were even told that learned river experts continue to disagree on whether or not there is water flowing over the dusty, empty, dried-up river bed and that the fact that there was debate proved that there was water. (Even though the river experts who said that there was water, refused to actually look for any).

We tried to drink, looked high and low for H2O, but we couldn't get any to wet our parched lips. Not even a drop.

Where is the SCIENCE, wolfsbane?? :pac:

2Scoops wrote: »

He doesn't know what science is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    We've had atheists here on the Christianity forum who deride theology and biblical studies as 'made-up' disciplines not worthy of notice, but when they find a maverick theologian who supports their views then they quote him like he's the fount of all knowledge.
    Ah, sour grapes to Bart Ehrman for christmas, I expect.

The difference between Ehrman's work and the more regular "made-up" disciplinarians, is that theologians in the main read and interpret the bible to justify their opinions, whereas Ehrman eventually questioned the bible, to see if it could support his opinions.

It's the difference between believing a conclusion and thinking one's way to one, so it's easy enough to understand why religious people prefer the comforting balm of the former, while the irreligious prefer the wisdom arising from the latter.

We were brought to a dusty, dried-up river bed. Then we were informed that there was actually plenty of water there, even though none could be seen. We were even told that learned river experts continue to disagree on whether or not there is water flowing over the dusty, empty, dried-up river bed and that the fact that there was debate proved that there was water. (Even though the river experts who said that there was water, refused to actually look for any).

We tried to drink, looked high and low for H2O, but we couldn't get any to wet our parched lips. Not even a drop.

There's a river of it, if only you'd open your eyes to see. It just doesn't suit your worldview.

But more importantly, your blindness to science that disturbs you is indicative of your real problem - spiritual blindness. That will lead you to the place where truly you won't get anything to wet your parched lips. Not even a drop:
    Luke 16:23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
    24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’

There's a river of it, if only you'd open your eyes to see.

How would you know if there is 'water' or not when you claim not to be an expert in water? :pac:

How would you know if there is 'water' or not when you claim not to be an expert in water? :pac:
    So only a scientist can recognise science? Only a theologian can recognise theology? Only an author can recognise literature?

As I suspected, Elitism rules! :D

So only a scientist can recognise science? Only a theologian can recognise theology? Only an author can recognise literature

I'm only putting to you what you've already stated by your own admission. Do you now claim to be able to recognize science??

So only a scientist can recognise science? Only a theologian can recognise theology? Only an author can recognise literature?

As I suspected, Elitism rules! :D

Total crap. We've told you loads of times that the ability to recognise good science is easily acquired. We've suggested that you could easily acquire it. So don't roll out the elitist thing please, science is right there for everyone to dissect. But every time we suggest you try that, you reply that you're not interested. You just like to point at stuff that looks like science and say "See? A debate!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

But more importantly, your blindness to science that disturbs you is indicative of your real problem - spiritual blindness. That will lead you to the place where truly you won't get anything to wet your parched lips. Not even a drop:

Spiritual blindness? Gas!
    I'm sick to death of Christians making out like they are above every one else...
    Wolfsbane, you are not so special. The only difference is you believe in a God and I don't. You are not on some moral high ground, so don't think for a second you are. Christians 33% of the total population, divided into how many sects? Obviously hell is a bigger place than heaven is it?

There's a river of it, if only you'd open your eyes to see. It just doesn't suit your worldview.

Luke 16:23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
    24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’

He asks for the science, you tell him there is loads of it over there and then quote him a Bible verse ... bravo

studiorat wrote: »
    Spiritual blindness? Gas!
    I'm sick to death of Christians making out like they are above every one else...
    Wolfsbane, you are not so special. The only difference is you believe in a God and I don't. You are not on some moral high ground, so don't think for a second you are. Christians 33% of the total population, divided into how many sects? Obviously hell is a bigger place than heaven is it?
    Christians are only the people of God because God chose them - not for anything of merit in themselves. But when God saves a person, He begins to make them more and more like Christ. All of His grace.

We are certainly on higher ground morally when we seek to obey God. You and we share some morals, but I'm sure you agree that we differ in many too. One of us must occupy the higher ground. If God is the source of true morality, then it is the Christians. If man is, then it might well be you.

Christians are 33% of the total population? I doubt it. Not the authentic, Biblical type. Most who call themselves Christian are sincere religionists at best, and often just ticks on a survey. So I agree with your point that we are a small minority.

And yes, most adults will be in hell:
    Matthew 7:13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Heaven however will be full of those who died in the womb or in childhood, in addition to the adults who responded to the gospel by repentance and faith. And of course the countless millions of holy angels.

Hell is reserved for Satan and his angels, and those of mankind who continued to live in rebellion against their Creator.

• Advertisement

Total crap. We've told you loads of times that the ability to recognise good science is easily acquired. We've suggested that you could easily acquire it. So don't roll out the elitist thing please, science is right there for everyone to dissect. But every time we suggest you try that, you reply that you're not interested. You just like to point at stuff that looks like science and say "See? A debate!".
    Thankfully I am spared diverting time to becoming a scientist. I have enough knowledge to recognise spin and evasion, even if I haven't enough to assess the details of the scientific argument. You guys have provided some stunning sleight of hands, something no one with truth on their side would resort to. For example, the mantra that the creationist scientists are not scientists - that is so easily checked, and refuted, that it shows the desperation of your case.

You don't con me, even if you do yourselves. You are defending Scientism, not Science.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement