Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Wicknight wrote: »
    Occams Razor.
    • The universe looks designed.
    • The universe's design is greatly flawed.
    • Therefore the universe's designer was flawed.
    • God is not flawed.
    • God is not the universes designer.

Is that not the simplest, most logical, conclusion?

Why introduce unsupported complexity to reach a particularly conclusion.

Unless all this is because you are trying to reach a particularly conclusion ;)
    1. My car looks designed.
    2. My car's design is greatly flawed.
    3. Therefore my car's designer was flawed.
    4. Peugeot is not flawed.
    5. Peugeot is not my car's designer.

Is that not the simplest, most logical, conclusion?

Why introduce unsupported complexity to reach a particular conclusion?

Because this 'logic' is itself flawed. It fails to incorporate the simple fact that the misalignment of the wheels is not a design flaw, but due to me kerbing the car at some speed.

Adam kerbed the universe when he sinned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

wolfsbane wrote: »
    If God is the absolute, then His standards are also absolute.

No they aren't, again that is illogical. If morality is God's opinion it cannot be a universal fact of nature because if it was it wouldn't be God's opinion

Because this 'logic' is itself flawed. It fails to incorporate the simple fact that the misalignment of the wheels is not a design flaw, but due to me kerbing the car at some speed.

Adam kerbed the universe when he sinned.

But you have no way of determining that. By your own admission the universe looks flawed (not "kerbed"). You explain that by introducing the Fall, but you only have the Bible to support that this happened over the explanation that the universe simply being designed badly.

You are introducing unnecessary and unsupported complexity to the explanation simply because you are trying to reach a conclusion that the evidence does not support.

Which makes any claims of unbias assessment of the facts frankly ridiculous. You, like all Creationists, start and the end and try and work backwards.

Wicknight said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    I do hear what various atheists say about morality. Some differ, but most of you seem to be saying some actions are morally wrong for everyone. I'm pointing out that materialism rules out anything being right or wrong - things just are.

Groan ... you clearly are not listening.

Morality is a judgement. That doesn't matter if it is you or me or God, it is an assessment made by someone. Christianity rules out anything "being right or wrong" as much as materialism does. Things just are BUT people (or God) can make judgements about them. These judgements only exist in the context of the judgement, but then you are the only one who seems to have a problem with that.
    God being the Absolute and Creator of all, morality is an expression of His character, not His judgement or opinion.
    Quote:
    They might have consequences undesirable to some/most/all people, but that does not mean they are wrong.

Yes it does. That is all "wrong" is, it is a judgement some makes. If someone thinks something is wrong then it is wrong according to them. That applies whether we are talking about atheists or Christians. There is no difference. Your continual insistence that "materialism" is some how different is incorrect and tiresome
    You are not reading carefully enough. I've repeatedly said there is a subjective morality in society - but not one the materialist should consider himself bound to.

And of course that means murder and rape are moral for those who think they are.
    Quote:
    You and I can judge a movie as good or bad - but that judgement is indeed subjective because there is no universal standard to measure it against.

Does that stop you from making that judgement?
    Indeed it would not, but it would stop me insisting the other guy was mistaken.
    Quote:
    Likewise you and I can judge something as moral or immoral without recourse to a universal standard. What we are not then entitled to do is suggest the movie or action is really, in itself, good or bad. It only is.

But no one is doing that except for you.
    That's where the confusion lies. It seems to me one time you guys are saying it really is immoral to murder or rape, and at the other it is only your opinion.
    I don't need to say that the movie is bad in of itself. I'm perfectly happy saying it is bad in my opinion because I was never working under the delusion that there was anything else.
    OK, then murder and rape are only bad in your opinion. In other's opinion they may be good.
    Likewise with morality. If I say something is immoral that is in my opinion, but that doesn't matter because I never imagined there was anything else. There is only opinion.

The only people who seem to have a problem with that are people who had deluded themselves into the idea that there was a universal standard that they could appeal to to say that something is "bad" in of itself.
    Excellent - now we are getting somewhere. :)
    Quote:
    So if you want to say murder or rape is subjectively bad to you, that's fine. What you cannot say is that it is in itself bad. Others may find it good. If materialism is true and there is no God, no Standard-Setter, then there is no good and bad. There is only is.

That is true if there is a God. God can set a standard but then so can I. I can say that rape is immoral. That is my standard, it is my opinion. God can do the same thing. It no more makes "bad" a property of rape than if I do it.
    God being the Creator of all, His morality is the absolute standard. Your opinion is not equal to His.
    Quote:
    But if there is a God, the Standard-Setter, then everything contrary to His standards is bad.

No it isn't. That is illogical nonsense. Things are no more inherently bad if God says they are than if I say they are.

If you think about it it would be theologically illogical otherwise. If raping was inherently bad it would be inheriently bad whether God existed or not, and God would be forced to conclude it was bad because it would be a fact of nature.

That is clearly not the case. It is only God's opinion on something. God's opinion means nothing more to universal nature than mine does.
    You may think so, but the definition and attributes of God mean that without Him there would be no morality. True morality is an expression of His character, not the other way around.
    Quote:
    But it means your opinion is inconsistent with your primary belief - materialism. That's the only point I am making.

Materialism doesn't make moral decisions, so that is impossible
    Excellent. :) That is my point. So the materialist cannot logically believe he is bound to any morality.
    Quote:
    Being the Creator and sustainer of all things, His 'opinion' is the true Standard, the true, actual, real morality.

No it isn't. That is illogical nonsense. If you think about that for 5 minutes you will see that it is a paradoxical position, like God making a stone he can't move.

His opinion is just his opinion. It cannot be a fact of nature because God exists in nature and if it was a fact of nature God would be constrained to comply with that fact and therefore it wouldn't be his opinion.
    True morality is not a fact of nature. It is an expression of the character of GOD.

But you have no way of determining that. By your own admission the universe looks flawed (not "kerbed"). You explain that by introducing the Fall, but you only have the Bible to support that this happened over the explanation that the universe simply being designed badly.

You are introducing unnecessary and unsupported complexity to the explanation simply because you are trying to reach a conclusion that the evidence does not support.

Which makes any claims of unbias assessment of the facts frankly ridiculous. You, like all Creationists, start and the end and try and work backwards.
    We start with the revelation of the truth. If we are correct about that, then Occam's Razor has been misused by you.

And the evidence does support a designed but fallen universe, not a poorly designed one.

• Advertisement

No they aren't, again that is illogical. If morality is God's opinion it cannot be a universal fact of nature because if it was it wouldn't be God's opinion
    All nature is subject to God, not God to nature. You seem incapable of conceiving that an Absolute Creator is subject only to Himself, to His own nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

But there are many societies. So when one society agrees that enslaving everyone other than themselves is a good thing, it is a good thing? Maybe you wish to claim universal society to overule them? In that case you are saying there is a universal morality - which you and the others denied in other posts. :confused:
    I would use the word global, not universal. If one group wants to do something to another and that group doesn't want it done to them, that thing is wrong
    But you don't say why he is bound.

I fully accept that you believe morality is a function of the brain - of feelings being chemically generated there. What I'm asking you is why, as a rational being - one who is able to see beyond his chemically induced feelings, you say you are bound by society's morality. You keep saying you are so bound, but offer no rational explanation. Or is it that you think we are not rational beings, but absolutely subject to our feelings?
    You've answered your own question by saying that
    Conscience puts a big break on man's wickedness
    We both acknowledge the existence of conscience which is the thing that encourages people to do good, we just disagree on the source of it

Wicknight said:

God being the Absolute and Creator of all, morality is an expression of His character, not His judgement or opinion.

That is just a fancy way of saying it is his opinion. My morality is an expression of my character, which means it is my opinion. Change my character, change my opinion. Which is the point. If God had a different character then his morality would be different. So how can his morality be a universal fact of nature if it depends on what God is. God exists in nature, and his morality will be an expression of his properties. It does not exist as a property of the act or thing. It is no more universal or objective than my morality is.
    You are not reading carefully enough. I've repeatedly said there is a subjective morality in society - but not one the materialist should consider himself bound to.

And of course that means murder and rape are moral for those who think they are.
    Which is the same as with God. The point you are ignoring is that I don't care if the rapist thinkings what they are doing is moral. I imagine God doesn't care either way.
    Indeed it would not, but it would stop me insisting the other guy was mistaken.
    Why? They are mistaken according to you.

What you never think someone is wrong? Someone says the last Eddie Murphy was a brilliant film and you don't think "No, it was stupid"

I find that very difficult to believe Wolfsbane. I have no problem disagreeing with people, nor do I need to have a universal standard to say that I think someone or something is morally wrong. It is morally wrong according to me but I've never had a problem with that.
    That's where the confusion lies. It seems to me one time you guys are saying it really is immoral to murder or rape, and at the other it is only your opinion.
    It is the same thing. It is "really" immoral to murder and rape people, that is my opinion.

Your problem is that you seem to be unable to think about morality in any terms other than a universal morality, so even when we are talking about subjective morality you still cannot think of it as anything other than universal morality.

Which is why I keep using film references. We could use what food you like. Or what sports team you follow. All are opinion, but that doesn't stop us thinking we are right and the other person is wrong. I don't need a universal morality standard to do that.
    OK, then murder and rape are only bad in your opinion. In other's opinion they may be good.
    Yeah, but I don't care about the other person's opinion. Who says I have to respect the other person's opinion. God doesn't respect the other persons opinion.

If I think someone is wrong I'll tell them. I don't care if they disagree with me. I'm sure that there are people out there who think tying people to walls while they burn them with acid is "morally ok", I don't care. I don't, and I will stop them if I have the opportunity.
    God being the Creator of all, His morality is the absolute standard. Your opinion is not equal to His.

Again that is a call to authority, and it is not the same as saying his morality is universal or objective. It is still just his opinion, but you may say that you put more weight in his opinion than any human because of what he is.

But a call to authority is not the same thing as objective morality. It is still just his opinion. An opinion formed with omniscients, but not a fact of nature. In fact to be his opinion it cant be a fact of nature because then it wouldn't be his opinion, he would just be repeating a fact, like God telling you that 2+2=4
    You may think so, but the definition and attributes of God mean that without Him there would be no morality.
    Well your defintions of God are some what irrelevant. Just because something is a definition doesn't mean it makes logical sense. I could say my God is the creator of all things yet didn't create anything. Most people would say that is nonsense, because it is.

What you mean is that there is no ultimate authority that you can refer to for morality. But again that means His morality cannot be objective, it cannot be a fact of nature. If God didn't exist his standard wouldn't exist and therefore it is dependent on God. That is the whole point.
    Excellent. :) That is my point. So the materialist cannot logically believe he is bound to any morality.
    Only if you conclude that you can only be bound to universal morality. Which you appear to be the only one who believes that.

I've no problem being bound to my own personal morality, that has never been an issue for me. I don't need someone else telling me what I should believe is moral or immoral under threat of punishment.

I am perfectly aware that people may not agree with me (as they may not agree with God), but that is why I carry a big stick.
    True morality is not a fact of nature. It is an expression of the character of GOD.
    Fair enough, if putting it like that makes you happy. But that again means it is as subjective as my morality. It is not objective nor is it universal. "expression of the character of God" simply means it is his subjective opinion.
    We start with the revelation of the truth.
    That is exactly the problem.

Since you are starting with the conclusion that the revelation is true going back and then presenting "evidence" that it is is pointless.
    If we are correct about that, then Occam's Razor has been misused by you.
    Not in the slightest. You have nothing to support your position that the revelation is true except your own person feelings on it, which frankly could be wrong. You can't demonstrate otherwise.

Most religious people, including yourself, recognise this which is why they then try and justify their belief using what they consider evidence for it, such as saying that the universe looks designed.

The flaw in that is that they are not being honest with the conclusions they can draw from the evidence, and when the evidence supports a theory less complex than the revelation they choose to ignore this conclusion in favour of the conclusion they are trying to reach.

It simply shows the bias and hypocritical nature of the argument from design. You guys only care about the argument from design if it leads to a conclusion that it was your god that did the designing. If that is a convoluted conclusion and a simpiler one exists you ignore it, because you are only interested in the argument from design to show God was the designer.

Which is why so very few people take Creationists seriously when they try and produce argument for the design of the universe. If you guys don't take the argument that the universe looks designed seriously why would you expect the rest of us too?
    And the evidence does support a designed but fallen universe, not a poorly designed one.
    There is no evidence for that because a fallen universe looks the same as a universe that was badly designed.

You have no access to evidence from the universe before the Fall and as such you have nothing but your personal revelation to support the idea that the universe was initially created in a perfect unflawed state.

Which is where Occams Razor comes in. The universe looks flawed. Because you cannot concluded that it was designed by a flawed designer (which is the obvious and simple conclusion from the evidence) you have to introduce an unnecessary complexity (the Fall) to explain how the universe could be made by a perfect designer yet end up in the flawed state it is at the moment.

Again you only do that because you have a conclusion you are trying to reach. You are not interested in following the evidence where it leads, you are only interested in ending up at the conclusion that God is the designer.

As such your argument for intelligence are hollow and pointless. You don't care about the evidence for intelligent design any more than I do, your true motives are displayed by your insistence at introducing an event that logically you cannot have any evidence for.
    All nature is subject to God, not God to nature.
    No, all created nature is subject to God. But at some point, before God did anything, he existed in something. He just was. That "something" is the sum total of nature, and God exists in it.

Reality is above God, in the same way the universe is above us and God is above the universe.
    You seem incapable of conceiving that an Absolute Creator is subject only to Himself, to His own nature.
    God does not have to be subject to this higher nature but he didn't create it since he didn't create himself (that would be a logical impossibility). He exists in it, and as such there are universial truths that apply to God as much as anything below him.

If there was a univeral morality, an objective morality, it would be a property of this higher nature, and as such it would bind God as much as logic binds God (God cannot produce a rock that he cannot move)

Since that isn't the case, since God's morality is not bound by a truth of this higher nature, you cannot say that his morality is objective truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Maybe I'm mistaken here, but it seems we're back to an argument of semantics (yet again:o) :

God is by definition objective here's why....
    No, by our definition he isn't! And here's why...

Did I miss something??

So folks, what or who, is God?
    I think that will sort this out once and for all:)

*Get's popcorn*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

If God is the absolute, then His standards are also absolute.
    And if god is "the absolute", then he's absolutely ridiculous too.

Sophistry doesn't often lead to much, especially when it's applied generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

We are not dealing with a changing God, who today says it is wrong to lie but says the opposite tomorrow.

If you believe the God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are one and the same and that both books give an accurate description of God's work, then God is changing as He acts completely differently in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

But since you believe your morality is a biological conditioning, you are not consistent if you believe yourself bound by it. You may reject it without regarding yourself as immoral.
    I’m afraid I don’t see how you can claim this. Part of that biological conditioning is a mechanism whereby immoral is exactly what I do feel if I violate my moral code. Would you argue that a mother who recognizes that her desire to care for her children is a naturally given instinct might be more likely to rationalise her abandonment of them because of this recognition?
    So you may feel rape is wrong, but you know in your rational mind that this feeling is just that - a feeling, not the recognition of a truth.
    I did and do say that right and wrong are not absolutes but are relative to the particular path evolution took. But evolution did take only one particular path so it is reasonable to think of the morality thrown up by it as given rise to localised truths. This is in fact what I think people do. I suspect if you were to ask a random man on the street who had little religious conviction and no great knowledge of evolution, he would insist that the wrongness of rape and murder are absolutely truths. Again I say, the fact that I can reason that these are not absolutely absolutes does not mean that I am either more likely to violate them or (and I think this is your contention?) that I can better allay pangs of guilt if I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

If you believe the God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are one and the same and that both books give an accurate description of God's work, then God is changing as He acts completely differently in both.
    No, that isn't actually true. What is changing is not God, but rather the condition and circumstances of those with whom He deals.

I treat my daughter now she is 21 differently than how I treated her when she was 5 - for example, I no longer insist that she holds my hand when she crosses the street. This is not because my opinions on children and road safety have changed, but rather because she (thankfully) has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Not at all - for the materialist there is no 'ought'.

Of course there is, its just that that "ought" is for different reasons than the theists "ought". Materialists need to reason out why they "ought" to do something, what is the benefit of doing something, whle theists just need to be told that its coming from authority and then will no longer question it.
    You are free to accept or reject any morality.

As is the theist, who is free to accept or reject gods morality.
    What you are not free to do is claim that any action is good or bad in itself.

Because no action is good or bad in itself, it depends on the context. Slavery was good in the time of the new testament, it is bad now.
    To be consistent with their materialist world-view, must they observe any morality? Or can they be consistent materialists if they reject all morality?

Assuming you are going by the Merriam Webster definition for materialist, that physical matter is the only or fundamental reality and that all being and processes and phenomena can be explained as manifestations or results of matter, then sure, someone can reject morailty and still be consistent materialists in the same way someone can reject morality and still consistently believe in gravity, they are completely seperate issues altogether.
    Morality is not a fundamental process of this reality, it is created by humans. Volcanoes, earthquakes and hurricanes are not considered moral or immoral, morality doesn't come into biology, its not considered when discussing bacteria or viruses, the beating of a heart or the digestion of food in the stomach isn't described as moral or immoral. The pull of gravity isn't looked down on for its immoral means, while the heat radiation from stars is praised for its unnerving morality.
    As Death himself said (ask Sam Vimes :) ): "take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder, and sieve it through the finest sieve, and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. And yet, you try to act as if there is some ideal order in the world. As if there is some, some rightness in the universe, by which it may be judged."

As Death himself said (ask Sam Vimes :) ):

I can confirm this

Death: Humans need fantasy to *be* human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
    Susan: With tooth fairies? Hogfathers?
    Death: Yes. As practice, you have to start out learning to believe the little lies.
    Susan: So we can believe the big ones?
    Death: Yes. Justice, mercy, duty. That sort of thing.
    Susan: They're not the same at all.
    Death: You think so? Then take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder, and sieve it through the finest sieve, and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. And yet, you try to act as if there is some ideal order in the world. As if there is some, some rightness in the universe, by which it may be judged.
    Susan: But people have got to believe that, or what's the point?
    Death: You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I can confirm this

Death: Humans need fantasy to *be* human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
    Susan: With tooth fairies? Hogfathers?
    Death: Yes. As practice, you have to start out learning to believe the little lies.
    Susan: So we can believe the big ones?
    Death: Yes. Justice, mercy, duty. That sort of thing.
    Susan: They're not the same at all.
    Death: You think so? Then take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder, and sieve it through the finest sieve, and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. And yet, you try to act as if there is some ideal order in the world. As if there is some, some rightness in the universe, by which it may be judged.
    Susan: But people have got to believe that, or what's the point?
    Death: You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?
    Thank you for confirming my central point. :)

Materialism has no morality and the materialist cannot consistently claim any action is immoral. It is only immoral in someone's opinion.

Most revealing, the materialist knows mankind cannot survive without at least pretending some things are good and some thing evil.

If my foundation premise could not work unless it was ignored, I would suspect it was false. But you guys have everything staked on it, so the pretence is more comfortable than facing the facts.

Mark Hamill said:
    Quote:
    Not at all - for the materialist there is no 'ought'.

Of course there is, its just that that "ought" is for different reasons than the theists "ought". Materialists need to reason out why they "ought" to do something, what is the benefit of doing something, whle theists just need to be told that its coming from authority and then will no longer question it.
    I'm not talking about recognising the benefits of something - I'm talking about whether one ought to do it or not. Am I immoral if I do something that benefits me but impoverishes another?
    Quote:
    You are free to accept or reject any morality.

As is the theist, who is free to accept or reject gods morality.
    If God is real, the theist who rejects God's way is being immoral. If materialism is real, the materialist who rejects all morality is not being immoral.
    Quote:
    What you are not free to do is claim that any action is good or bad in itself.

Because no action is good or bad in itself, it depends on the context. Slavery was good in the time of the new testament, it is bad now.
    Slavery of the innocent was never moral.

But I'm glad you admit no action is good or bad in itself, it depends on the context. Take the case of Alan Turing, the computer genius. He reported a burglary in his home, naming the person. The police asked how he knew this man and Turing said he was a friend (relative?) of Turing's male lover. Turing was then arrested, charged and found guilty of gross indecency.

By your logic, he was guilty of immorality. So if you had been around then, you would have condemned him for his homosexuality? For that was society's moral code back then.
    Quote:
    To be consistent with their materialist world-view, must they observe any morality? Or can they be consistent materialists if they reject all morality?

Assuming you are going by the Merriam Webster definition for materialist, that physical matter is the only or fundamental reality and that all being and processes and phenomena can be explained as manifestations or results of matter, then sure, someone can reject morailty and still be consistent materialists in the same way someone can reject morality and still consistently believe in gravity, they are completely seperate issues altogether.
    Morality is not a fundamental process of this reality, it is created by humans.
    I appreciate your honesty. But this is good news for paedophiles, murderers, etc. They are not immoral people, they are only immoral in other people's opinions -and those opinions are really delusional.
    Volcanoes, earthquakes and hurricanes are not considered moral or immoral, morality doesn't come into biology, its not considered when discussing bacteria or viruses, the beating of a heart or the digestion of food in the stomach isn't described as moral or immoral. The pull of gravity isn't looked down on for its immoral means, while the heat radiation from stars is praised for its unnerving morality.
    As Death himself said (ask Sam Vimes ): "take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder, and sieve it through the finest sieve, and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. And yet, you try to act as if there is some ideal order in the world. As if there is some, some rightness in the universe, by which it may be judged."
    You try to act as if - what a comment on the bankruptcy of materialism!

wolfsbane, you said that conscience puts a big break on man's wickedness. Do you think this stops being true for non-believers or do you think that we deny the existence of conscience?

lugha wrote: »
    I’m afraid I don’t see how you can claim this. Part of that biological conditioning is a mechanism whereby immoral is exactly what I do feel if I violate my moral code. Would you argue that a mother who recognizes that her desire to care for her children is a naturally given instinct might be more likely to rationalise her abandonment of them because of this recognition?

I did and do say that right and wrong are not absolutes but are relative to the particular path evolution took. But evolution did take only one particular path so it is reasonable to think of the morality thrown up by it as given rise to localised truths. This is in fact what I think people do. I suspect if you were to ask a random man on the street who had little religious conviction and no great knowledge of evolution, he would insist that the wrongness of rape and murder are absolutely truths. Again I say, the fact that I can reason that these are not absolutely absolutes does not mean that I am either more likely to violate them or (and I think this is your contention?) that I can better allay pangs of guilt if I did.
    No, it is not my contention. My sole point in this debate has been to make the materialist see that they have no logical, rational grounds for believing anyone is morally obliged to do or refrain from any action.

You keep telling me why morality exists in the mind, but I'm not questioning you on that. I'm questioning you on why you seem to insist one ought to observe any morality. And by ought I don't mean recognising the benefits of doing so, but the rightness of it.

Are you morally obliged not to murder? Not, Do you feel such obligation? - but does such an obligation really exist?

wolfsbane, you said that conscience puts a big break on man's wickedness. Do you think this stops being true for non-believers or do you think that we deny the existence of conscience?
    No, it exists in all men - but its witness is there to a greater or lesser extent. Those who repeatedly violate it find themselves hearing it less and less. Evil becomes more comfortable.

Neither do I think you deny the existence of conscience. You explain its existence materialistically of course, rather than it being spiritual in origin.

• Advertisement

I think it is clear that unbelievers have consciences .... but (and it's a big but) that conscience is often informed by culture and relativism rather than absolute morals. So, for example, Lysenko's conscience would not allow him to go against the will of his beloved Stalin, so he produced some wonderfully relativistic pseudoscience.

robindch wrote: »
    And if god is "the absolute", then he's absolutely ridiculous too.

Sophistry doesn't often lead to much, especially when it's applied generally.
    There speaks the darkened sinful heart.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Maybe I'm mistaken here, but it seems we're back to an argument of semantics (yet again:o) :

Did I miss something??

So folks, what or who, is God?
    I think that will sort this out once and for all:)

*Get's popcorn*
    God is, and this is also a definition fundamental to this board, the God revealed in the Bible. He is revealed their as the absolute, unchanging, eternal, Creator and sustainer of all. Everything derives from Him, He is therefore the only truly Objective observer.

Malty_T wrote: »

Did I miss something??

Yes, you certainly did miss something - the sign on the way in that says 'Christianity'.

You see, you don't actually believe in God, do you? Therefore, if you choose to discuss God on this forum then, by default, you are discussing the Christian concept of God (who is objective).

If you want to discuss a concept of a god who is not objective then, by definition, you are discussing a god other than the Christian God. Therefore you need to go and find followers of that non-objective god and discuss the matter with them. I would suggest the Spirituality Forum as a good place to start for that kind of a debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

PDN wrote: »
    Yes, you certainly did miss something - the sign on the way in that says 'Christianity'.

You see, you don't actually believe in God, do you? Therefore, if you choose to discuss God on this forum then, by default, you are discussing the Christian concept of God (who is objective).

If you want to discuss a concept of a god who is not objective then, by definition, you are discussing a god other than the Christian God. Therefore you need to go and find followers of that non-objective god and discuss the matter with them. I would suggest the Spirituality Forum as a good place to start for that kind of a debate.

Which is exactly my point.

This discussion about morals is utter pointless because WB is arguing that the Christian Juedo one is defined as being Objective and the atheist folks are arguing that a non objective God wouldn't be objective ...well d'uh.

Eitherway, though saying that the materialist doesn't have to obey morals is ridiculous. It has being explained over and over again that our biology has decided that emotion comes first.
    If ye are going to continue in circles, might I at least suggest that ye switch to squares..

Seriously, though, can someone define what they mean by the Judeo-Christian God?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I'm questioning you on why you seem to insist one ought to observe any morality. And by ought I don't mean recognising the benefits of doing so, but the rightness of it.

Are you morally obliged not to murder? Not, Do you feel such obligation? - but does such an obligation really exist?
    Well perhaps the difficulty here may rest in what you mean by “obliged”. Do you mean to a higher power that you call God? If that’s the case then obviously I don’t hold that anyone is obliged (to God) to behave morally. But evolutions has given me, with my morality, something which walks, talks, eats, sleeps and everything else exactly like this obligation you feel to obey God’s laws. Perhaps you can make more sense of this trait, and even find it more logically satisfying, if you couch it in the context of God and a notion of objective right and wrong. I think this unnecessary but we are still “feeling” the same thing.

God is, and this is also a definition fundamental to this board, the God revealed in the Bible.

Yes but the God revealed in the Bible could be wrong. It could be illogical.

As Malty_t suggests you can't just define something and then use that definition as justification for the idea that the thing is the way you say it is.

A definition by itself means nothing, particularly if you are trying to demonstrate a point.

Materialism has no morality and the materialist cannot consistently claim any action is immoral. It is only immoral in someone's opinion.

As opposed to what? Only immoral in God's opinion? That is the same thing. And opinion is an opinion is an opinion. It is up to you to follow it or not, based on your decision whether you should. That holds whether it is God's opinion, your parents opinion, or your own opinion.

Are you obliged to follow the word of God? Since we are supposed to have free will, no you aren't. Do you do it because you fear punishment if you don't? Or because you feel it is the right thing to do? If that is the case how did you determine it was the right thing to do without forming your own moral decision

Really this shouldn't be that difficult a concept for you to grasp. Humans are under no obligation to follow God. You choose to follow God, because you believe it the right thing to do. That is a moral decision you formed on your own (I'm assuming you aren't following simple out of fear).

Atheist follow their own ideas of morality as well because they feel it is the right thing to do. We just have a lot more of them, where as you have one, follow the Bible, and get the rest second hand.
    But you guys have everything staked on it, so the pretence is more comfortable than facing the facts.
    But your "facts" are the product of a mind that can't understand following morality that isn't dictated from authority, even though the process if very similar.

You hear God's morality in the Bible and you rationalise that it is moral thing to do to follow that morality. That is your moral decision, you came up with it all on your own.

I determine a moral decision based on a number of basic axioms and rationalise that it is the moral thing to do to follow that morality.

The only difference is that you seem to believe you can't do that unless the morality is coming from an authority higher than oneself.

You have never explained why that is the case, yet you seem to think that use materialists have to agree with you.

We don't, shockingly enough. I have no problem following morality that is not transcribed by a god.

No, it exists in all men - but its witness is there to a greater or lesser extent. Those who repeatedly violate it find themselves hearing it less and less. Evil becomes more comfortable.

Neither do I think you deny the existence of conscience. You explain its existence materialistically of course, rather than it being spiritual in origin.

So do you not think that a non-believer's conscience can make them feel morally obliged in any way?

• Advertisement

PDN wrote: »
    I think it is clear that unbelievers have consciences .... but (and it's a big but) that conscience is often informed by culture and relativism rather than absolute morals. So, for example, Lysenko's conscience would not allow him to go against the will of his beloved Stalin, so he produced some wonderfully relativistic pseudoscience.

Wolfsbane is arguing that non-believers should not feel morally obliged to do good at all and that to me a philanthropist should be no different to a sex killer but the existence of the conscience proves him wrong. My conscience tells me which of those is good and bad. We may not be punished for doing wrong after we die but we still feel compelled by our consciences just as much as a believer. The only difference is we use reason to inform our consciences instead of taking a risk by overruling reason for a version of morality that is in all likelihood just the subjective morality of ancient Israelites masquerading as absolute morality.

Until the existence of your God and his involvement in the bible is proven, you cannot assert that what you follow is absolute morality, just that you believe it to be so. Until then its just one more type of subjective morality

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement