Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

J C wrote: »
    ..No!!:)

...but I can tell you they didn't take billions of years!!!

Trillions??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Malty_T wrote: »
    Trillions??
    ...something of the order of weeks!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

...there is such a thing as industrial secrets ... and know-how!!:D

There is also such a thing as making stuff up, such as the claim that Creationists actually use their nonsense to actual do stuff.

The proof is in the pudding. If Creationism was true it should be possible to use Creationist theories to predict things about the Earth before they are discovered, as evolution and geology has been doing for decades.

They don't. Creationists can't demonstrate their nonsense is true. All the smilie faces in the world won't help JC

End. Of. Story

...something of the order of weeks!!!!:)

Ok that'd definitely mean alot of earthquakes then,

Right, so then how do explain that parts of America can be perfectly matched to Antarctica? More so, Australia is sinking northwards (gps can confirm this) and American and Europe are moving apart by 2 cm per year how do you explain that all continents were once joined together? Or do you think they weren't?

Ok that'd definitely mean alot of earthquakes then,
    ..yes, there were massive earthquakes and worse !!!!:eek::D
    Right, so then how do explain that parts of America can be perfectly matched to Australia? More so, Australia is sinking northwards (gps can confirm this) and American and Europe are moving apart by 2 cm per year how do you explain that all continents were once joined together? Or do you think they weren't?
    ...current movement rates are not an indicator of past movements under catastrophic conditions!!!

...and the supposed 'match' between the western coast of Africa and the eastern coast of South America is an optical co-incidence based on current sea levels!!! :)

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    There is also such a thing as making stuff up, such as the claim that Creationists actually use their nonsense to actual do stuff.

The proof is in the pudding. If Creationism was true it should be possible to use Creationist theories to predict things about the Earth before they are discovered, as evolution and geology has been doing for decades.

They don't. Creationists can't demonstrate their nonsense is true. All the smilie faces in the world won't help JC

End. Of. Story
    ..you just have to laugh (or else you would cry) at such naivety!!!:D

...and the supposed 'match' between the western coast of Africa and the eastern coast of South America is an optical co-incidence based on current sea levels!!!
    Ok...so are the mountain ranges just an illusion then? What formed them?
    Also you never explained why Australia is sinking?
    ..current movement rates are not an indicator of past movements under catastrophic conditions!!!
    Wow that explains alot:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

It can be JC.
    You are aware that when drilling for oil you have take into account the effects of contintental drift and plate tectonics that have taken place and shaped the crust by a process* of millions of years?

In fact, here's an interesting aside. Geologist didn't discover about plate tectonics and drifts until the 1950s, however oil companies were using it in their calculations well before that, it's just oil employees rarely published public technical papers and why give away the secret?
    Not sure how 'creation' science would have helped there...

*Still going today too.
    I note the abiotic and biotic origins of oil is still debated. JC goes for the former, another creationist goes for the latter:
    The Origin of Oil
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v2/n1/origin-of-oil

As to how long it took for the continents to reach their present positions:
    Can Catastrophic Plate Tectonics Explain Flood Geology?
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/catastrophic-plate-tectonics

I note too that it was a creationist who first introduced the idea of continental drift, back in 1859.

wolfsbane wrote: »
    I note too that it was a creationist who first introduced the idea of continental drift, back in 1859.

Actually twas a suspected atheist in 1785:P
    http://www.uwmc.uwc.edu/geography/hutton/hutton.htm
    (That's what I'd regard as the first 'full' theory)

Wiki says it goes back even further than that to the likes of Ben Franklin, Francis Bacon and some guy named Abraham Ortelius (c.1600)

And I note too that you or JC have not answered the original question ... :rolleyes:

You must know that what you are claiming is nonsense, you make a claim that you can't back up, how can you not. Do you care?

• Advertisement

I note the abiotic and biotic origins of oil is still debated. JC goes for the former, another creationist goes for the latter:
    The Origin of Oil

As to how long it took for the continents to reach their present positions:
    Can Catastrophic Plate Tectonics Explain Flood Geology?
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/catastrophic-plate-tectonics
    ...there certainly is some biotic oil and it forms very fast indeed. Artificial compression and heating of organic matter can produce oil in as little as two hours!!!!

http://discovermagazine.com/2006/apr/anything-oil/article_view?b_start:int=0&-C=

...undoubtedly similar processes occurred during the Flood when decomposing animal remains were thermally converted to oil when they were buried and compressed by the tectonic processes that were ongoing in the aftermath of the Flood.

...practically all oil wells contain some biotic component and/or impurities ... but the large oilfields produce almost 100% abiotic oil.

Coal does not take millions of years to form either ... peat can be artificially 'coalified' within a few weeks.

And I note too that you or JC have not answered the original question ... :rolleyes:
    ...which was???

You must know that what you are claiming is nonsense
    ...I'm not the one claiming that muck turned spontaneously into Man ... with nothing added but time and mistakes..
    ...now that's real nonesense!!!!:D:eek:

Ok...so are the mountain ranges just an illusion then? What formed them?
    Also you never explained why Australia is sinking?
    ...mountain ranges are real phenomena...and most modern mountains were formed by enormous rapid tectonic and catastrophic processes during the Flood and its aftermath.

...there are still some residual tectonic stresses, especially on the 'Pacific Ring of Fire' and along the 'Mid Atlantic Ridge'

Wow that explains alot:rolleyes:
    ...always glad to provide a wow factor!!:D:)

...which was???

Name a geological discovery, such as a oil deposit, that was found due to the direct prediction formed from a Creationist theory.

Something that was successfully predicted by a Creationist theory.
    ...I'm not the one claiming that muck turned spontaneously into Man ... with nothing added but time and mistakes..

No, you are the one claiming Creationism is a predictive science despite being unable to back this up with any examples.

Name a geological discovery, such as a oil deposit, that was found due to the direction prediction formed from a Creationist theory.

Something that was successfully predicted by a Creationist theory.
    ...no can do!!:D:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Origin of Species was only published in 1859 - you're not exactly giving him a lot of time to familiarize himself with evolutionary theory, are you, before pouncing on him and claiming him as one of your own?

Shocking :rolleyes:

If you can't name one, you could at least reveal the process by which one was achieved. Make it in the distant past so that you're not giving away the proprieties belonging to someone.

Origin of Species was only published in 1859 - you're not exactly giving him a lot of time to familiarize himself with evolutionary theory, are you, before pouncing on him and claiming him as one of your own?
    ...so did Darwin not know his 'Continental Drift' ... from his 'Genetic Drift'?!!! ;):D:P

If you can't name one, you could at least reveal the process by which one was achieved. Make it in the distant past so that you're not giving away the proprieties belonging to someone.
    ...that would be industrial knowhow!!!:):D

...why do you want to know???

• Advertisement

The Origin of Oil

So is the flatness of the Earth :rolleyes:

Can you provide an example of where predictions of a Creationist theory was actually used to do something useful, such as find an oil deposit?

Do you understand why a complete lack of useful predictions from Creationism would raise many an eyebrow from the scientific community who Creationists are demanding take them seriously?

Weren't most people Creationists back then?

Shocking :rolleyes:
    ...you don't say!!!:rolleyes:

Can you provide an example of where predictions of a Creationist theory was actually used to do something useful, such as find an oil deposit?

Do you understand why a complete lack of useful predictions from Creationism would raise many an eyebrow from the scientific community who Creationists are demanding take them seriously?
    ...I don't really care whether assorted Atheists take me seriously or not!!!!:eek:

...that would be industrial knowhow!!!:):D

...why do you want to know???

So are you saying that even though oil reserves have dropped immensely the techniques used haven't changed a single bit. C'mon JC there is definitely an example out there from the distant past that doesn't give away any proprieties or advantages..

So are you saying that even though oil reserves have dropped immensely the techniques used haven't changed a single bit. C'mon JC there is definitely an example out there from the distant past that doesn't give away any proprieties or advantages..
    ...proven oil reserves are rising ... not falling ... have you been watching too much Al Gore recently!!!!!!!!

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=6&section=0&article=125471&d=14&m=8&y=2009

...proven oil reserves are rising ... not falling... have you been watching too much Al Gore recently!!!!

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=6&section=0&article=125471&d=14&m=8&y=2009

I've never actually gotten around to watching Mr Gore.
    Are you still sticking to the techniques have not changed??

I've never actually gotten around to watching Mr Gore.
    Are you still sticking to the techniques have not changed??
    ...techniques (and theories) have changed dramatically!!!!!

....please bear in mind that Creation Science is a rapidly developing (and ultra-modern) cutting edge science!!!:eek::)

...are you a (petroleum) geologist??

...techniques (and theories) have changed dramatically!!!!!

....please bear in mind that Creation Science is a rapidly developing (and ultra-modern) cutting edge science!!!:eek::)

So, I take it that, an example of an old out dated technique would be no issue then so?

So, I take it that, an example of an old out dated technique would be no issue then so?
    ...no

• Advertisement

Why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement