Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

According to Jc, there are three levels to Alien Society:-

1 Full-time Aliens - who work full-time in Area 51.

2 Part-time Aliens - who work part-time in Area 51.

3. Aliens who have an interest in Humans but who are not active in Area 51 .

ALL Aliens are eminent highly intellectual beings but because of the virulent discrimination that would probably result, the vast majority of Aliens do not publicly proclaim their existence.

JC,

If you cannot give example of your evidence then why are you mentioning the fact you have evidence, I mean I have irrefutable evidence that God is not real............

But for legal reasons, I can't tell you it would be unfair on today's scientists

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Malty_T wrote: »
    According to Jc, there are three levels to Alien Society:-

1 Full-time Aliens - who work full-time in Area 51.

2 Part-time Aliens - who work part-time in Area 51.

3. Aliens who have an interest in Humans but who are not active in Area 51 .

ALL Aliens are eminent highly intellectual beings but because of the virulent discrimination that would probably result, the vast majority of Aliens do not publicly proclaim their existence.
    ...like I have said, once 'targets' are defined as 'non-persons' ... and once that is accepted, almost anything can then be visited upon these 'targets'!!!!

...and if you are not worried about this ... you should be.

...for evil to prevail, all it takes is for honourable people to remain silent!!!

I would be the first to defend Evolutionists, if somebody were to declare them to be 'non-persons' that don't exist or have no rights!!!

J C wrote: »
    ...like I have said, once 'targets' are defined as 'non-persons' ... and once that is accepted, almost anything can then be visited upon these 'targets'!!!!

...and if you are not worried about this ... you should be.

...for evil to prevail, all it takes is for honourable people to remain silent!!!

I'm afraid I really don't get what you are saying here, I understand the '...' bit though:)
    Do you accept that the proof of aliens is incomplete? So please, JC, show us some E-V-I-D-E-N-C-E of creation science..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭covey09

so out of the billions and billions of planets in the universe God decided to create life on earth, can anyone logically justify this. seriously. no matter what is said about how it began the existents of god just isn't logically in the eternity of space. we all alone for the time being get use to it.

• Advertisement

covey09 wrote: »
    so out of the billions and billions of planets in the universe God decided to create life on earth, can anyone logically justify this. seriously. no matter what is said about how it began the existents of god just isn't logically in the eternity of space. we all alone for the time being get use to it.

Hi Covey, (Note : I'm Not a Christian)

I can, God created space for humans to marvel at His majesty and also so that humans could appreciate His awesome power, and abilities by realizing just how small they are in the grander universe.

For a really good Christian explanation of this google
    'Indescribable' by Louie Giglio.
    He does a good job at explaining the majesty of the universe and also manages to give God the spotlight.

Hi Covey, (Note : I'm Not a Christian)

I can, God created space for humans to marvel at His majesty and also so that humans could appreciate His awesome power, and abilities by realizing just how small they are in the grander universe.

For a really good Christian explanation of this google
    'Indescribable' by Louie Giglio.
    He does a good job at explaining the majesty of the universe and also manages to give God the spotlight.
    ...that is a very fair and reasonable acceptance of another point of view and I thank you, Malty_T, for your magnanimity and generosity of spirit.

I would also say that I fully accept the right of Evolutionists to hold their particular 'worldview' and to carry out scientific research into this 'worldview'.

All that I ask is that this be reciprocated to Creation Science.

...that is a very fair and reasonable acceptance of another point of view.

I would also say that I fully accept the right of Evolutionists to hold their particular 'worldview' and carry out scientific research into this 'worldview'.

:) See we can agree on somethings:)
    All that I ask is that this be reciprocated to Creation Science.

This is always possible JC, but for it to be the case you need to show the 'science' behind Creation science, so far you're falling short on this.
    In science, the evidence talks regardless of the belief if you have no evidence then no one is going to listen.
    I'm sorry but that's the way it is, if it wasn't then everyone would be listening to everything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

You cannot even give an example of so-called creation science in action, can you?
    Allow me:

http://www.answersingenesis.org

And from here, we can see that the Bearded Wonder is clearing over $160,000 per year, plus company car, pension, sundry expenses etc.

Creationists' tax dollars at work.

robindch wrote: »
    Allow me:

And from here, we can see that the Bearded Wonder is clearing over $160,000 per year, plus company car, pension, sundry expenses etc.

Urghhh It's a charity!!???:mad:

And JC, those sites do not count, I'm sorry, but parts of them spout utter rubbish science, and as a scientist yourself hopefully you recognise that.

• Advertisement

This is always possible JC, but for it to be the case you need to show the 'science' behind Creation science, so far you're falling short on this.
    In science, the evidence talks regardless of the belief if you have no evidence then no one is going to listen.
    I'm sorry but that's the way it is, if it wasn't then everyone would be listening to everything.
    ...is it really possible for all Evolutionists to rise above their prejudice against Creationism and treat Creation Scientists fairly???
    Your denial that Creation Scientists even exist, does indicate that it is impossible for many Evolutionists to be objective in their assessment of Creationist candidates for science jobs within their organisations.

I have no problem with people questioning Creation Science and/or its research conclusions.

I have no problem with people rejecting and/or not listening to Creation Scientists and their conclusions - it is a free country, and long may it remain so.

I do have a serious problem with Creation Scientists being crassly discriminated against if they admit to being Creationists, just like I would have a problem with discrimination against Evolutionists in their 'day jobs' as well!!!

I do have a problem with Creation Scientists being crassly discriminated against if the admit to being Creationists, just like I would have a problem with discrimination against Evolutionists in their 'day jobs' as well!!!

What discrimination? Behe is still regarded as biochemist isn't he?
    Where has anyone being discriminated against?
    Science may be a cruel discipline, but it is most CERTAINLY NOT a discriminatory one.

Urghhh It's a charity!!???:mad:

And JC, those sites do not count, I'm sorry, but parts of them spout utter rubbish science, and as a scientist yourself hopefully you recognise that.
    Firstly, could I point out that many (indeed practically ALL) Conventional Scientific Research Institutes are also Registered Charities.

...so Charitable Status is no reason to condemn any institution.

Secondly, AIG is a religious organisation that (fairly) uses the results of Creation Science Research carried out elsewhere - as well as commissioning Creation Research itself.
    They make no secret of this fact and everyone is entitled to take this into account when evaluating AIGs conclusions in relation to Creation Science Research.

Thirdly, the bulk of Creation Research is commissioned and carried out by organisations other than AIG - and Creation Scientists employed by these other organisations belong to all religions and none.

Fourthly, Creation Science is an Origins Forensic Science, as is Evolution / Abiogenesis Science.
    Both sciences employ conventionally qualified scientists and use peer-review of their research results.

What discrimination? Behe is still regarded as biochemist isn't he?
    Where has anyone being discriminated against?
    Science may be a cruel discipline, but it is most CERTAINLY NOT a discriminatory one.
    ...you are correct that science should question all research mercilessly ... but the individual scientists involved shouldn't be sacked and/or refused promotion just because they are either Evolutionists or Creationists ... and as this thread shows, if a scientist expresses any serious doubt about Evolution, then immediate discrimination (including the rescinding of earned degrees) is often openly advocated and presumably implemented!!!!

Allow me:

Could I ask you, Robin, if you work for nothing????

A salary of approximately €108,000 would seem to be very much at the lower end of the scale for the CEO of an organisation of the size of AIG.

Money is required by everybody (including both Evolutionist and Creationist Organisations) in order to pay their bills.
    Money isn't condemned by the Bible ... it is the love of money, (and its misuse) that is condemned!!!!

A salary of approximately €108,000 would seem to be very much at the lower end of the scale for the CEO of an organisation of the size of AIG.

Money is required by everybody (including both Evolutionist and Creationist Organisations) in order to pay their bills.
    Money isn't condemned by the Bible ... it is the love of money, (and its misuse) that is condemned!!!!

Steve Jobs (CEO Apple) get a 1$ a day:p

...you are correct that science should question all research mercilessly ... but the individual scientists involved shouldn't be sacked and/or refused promotion just because they are either Evolutionists or Creationists ... and as this thread shows, if a scientist expresses any serious doubt about Evolution, then immediate discrimination (including the rescinding of earned degrees) is often openly advocated!!!!

Can you give several examples of someone being sacked unfairly for supporting creation, as you should know, one example will not be enough establish a trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Secondly, AIG is a religious organisation that (fairly) uses the results of Creation Science Research carried out elsewhere - as well as commissioning Creation Research itself.

So give us the evidence, give us examples. If it exists then enlighten us.
    Thirdly, the bulk of Creation Research is commissioned and carried out by organisations other than AIG - and Creation Scientists employed by these other organisations belong to all religions and none.

Give us an example.
    Fourthly, Creation Science is an Origins Forensic Science, as is Evolution / Abiogenesis Science.
    Both sciences employ conventionally qualified scientists and use peer-review of their research results.

Name one creationist paper that has passed scientific peer-review. In fact name one that has been put forward for peer-review because I honestly can't find one and I've looked.

if a scientist expresses any serious doubt about Evolution, then immediate discrimination (including the rescinding of earned degrees) is often openly advocated!!!!

Give me some examples. If it's "often" then it should be no problem for you.

When I worked for a charity -- part-time for five years -- yes, I did work for nothing.
    For a religious organization, let alone one registered as a "charity", it's startling that the CEO (huh?) will grant himself a salary of $160,000. The pope -- who runs the Vatican with a turnover perhaps fifteen times that of (diploma-mill-doctor) Ham's organization -- does not take a salary.

Unless, of course, you're arguing that AIG is simply a commercial organization, in which case I think we can agree on at least one thing.

• Advertisement

Can you give several examples of someone being sacked unfairly for supporting creation, as you should know, one example will not be enough establish a trend.
    monosharp wrote: »
    Name one creationist paper that has passed scientific peer-review. In fact name one that has been put forward for peer-review because I honestly can't find one and I've looked.
    Two birds with one creationist named Richard Sternberg who, while a member of the DI, became editor of an obscure journal named "Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington" which has a circulation of around 300. Sternberg's friend Stephen Meyer, another creationist from the DI, submitted a paper for publication in PBSW and Sternberg approved it for publication without peer-review. The article was subsequently repudiated by the journal.

Sternberg quit after he approved the article, but before the article was printed and he subsequently ran, in conjunction with the DI and others, a highly successful smear campaign against the Smithsonian Institute alleging discrimination, harassment and our old friend, religious persecution for which he sued the Smithsonian (his suit was rejected). The affair also got top billing in Ben Stein's execrable mockumentary "Expelled" and since resigning his position, Sternberg has become the creationist movement's less-than-convincing persecution poster-boy.

Reality's side of the story is documented here.

Steve Jobs (CEO Apple) get a 1$ a day:p
    ...this is well below the minimum wage or does he only do 5 minutes work each day!!!!
    ...what are his other sources of income ... or are you saying that he lives on a $1 a day?
    monosharp wrote: »
    So give us the evidence, give us examples. If it exists then enlighten us.

Give us an example.

...Creationism finds itself in a position that, in many ways is worse than the situation that many other discriminated minorities find themselves.

There is open advocacy (and actuality) of discrimination - which is then denied on the basis that "Creation Scientists don't exist and/or even if they do exist, discrimination is good enough for them and/or they are a small minority".
    ..and the people doing all of this don't even appear to realise the irony of their position, of justifying discrimination against a minority because they are a minority!!!

Of course, Jesus Christ told us to expect this:-Joh 15:14 "You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.
    15 "No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you.
    16 "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.
    17 "These things I command you, that you love one another.
    18 ¶ "If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.
    19 "If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.
    20 "Remember the word that I said to you, 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also.
    21 "But all these things they will do to you for My name's sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me.
    22 "If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin.
    23 "He who hates Me hates My Father also.
    24 "If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father.
    25 "But this happened that the word might be fulfilled which is written in their law, 'They hated Me without a cause.'
    26 ¶ "But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me.
    27 "And you also will bear witness, because you have been with Me from the beginning.
    (NKJV)

When I worked for a charity -- part-time for five years -- yes, I did work for nothing.For a religious organization, let alone one registered as a "charity", it's startling that the CEO (huh?) will grant himself a salary of $160,000. The pope -- who runs the Vatican with a turnover perhaps fifteen times that of (diploma-mill-doctor) Ham's organization -- does not take a salary.

Unless, of course, you're arguing that AIG is simply a commercial organization, in which case I think we can agree on at least one thing.
    ...so does the Pope live on 'thin air' then?

As an absolute Head of State in a Sovereign Country the Pope has personal use and control over ALL of the assets of the Vatican!!!

...as a Registered Charity, transparency of accounting (including all monies paid to staff) is a requirement for organisations like AIG.

...and Ken Ham also gives freely of his time and money to other charitable causes, just like every other Christian does.

...and it is normal and accepted practice for all charities to pay full-time prfessional staff!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Ohh like a secret resistance group. C'mon JC, there are no creation scientists NONE whatsover. You cannot even give an example of so-called creation science in action, can you?
    Allow me:

LOL :D

What possible movitation would the millionaire Ken Ham have for lying to the public :pac:

Funny how all these things end up really being about money ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

1. Full-time Creation Scientists - who work full-time in Creation Science Research and/or teaching.
    Name one that works full-time in creation science research (creation teachers don't count).
    2. Part-time Creation Scientists - who work part-time in Creation Science Research and/or teaching.
    Name one that works part-time in creation science research (part-time creation teachers don't count).
    3. Creation Scientists who have an interest in Creation Science but who are not active in Creation Science teaching or research
    Scientists who are creationists don't count any more than teachers who are creationists, janitors who are creationists, accountants who are creationists, lawyers who are creationists, footballers who are creationists or any other irrelevant profession you care to mention. They are either creation scientists or they are not. Can you name even one? Can you give a single example of creation science (science about creationism)?

:pac:

...Creationism finds itself in a position that, in many ways is worse than the situation that many other discriminated minorities find themselves.

Like the flat Earthers ?
    There is open advocacy (and actuality) of discrimination - which is then denied on the basis that "Creation Scientists don't exist and/or even if they do exist, discrimination is good enough for them and/or they are a small minority".
    ..and the people doing all of this don't even appear to realise the irony of their position, of justifying discrimination against a minority because they are a minority!!!

JC, I have asked you many times for examples, for evidence. If you don't give me any evidence then I can't accept that Creationist Scientists do any actual scientific work.

Your asking me to 'believe' in them without giving me any evidence. This is the same reason I don't think theres a god.

Give me some evidence and prove it and stop playing the victim. Science doesn't discriminate against anyone. Science will eat you alive and spit you out if you try to push something without any evidence but it doesn't discriminate.

You have now made two statements.

1. Creationist Scientists do research which contributes something to the world commercially.

2. Creationist Scientists are discriminated against.

Give us some proof. I am not religious and you are not a prophet, we are not going to believe you without evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

A blast from the past updated with a few edits. I'm still waiting on J C to address with this stuff...
    J C wrote:
    1. Have we observed any mechanism spontaneously generating life – it should still be there somewhere if Evolution is true?

Firstly, abiogenesis is not a pre-requisite for evolution. We areagreed that variation may emerge by mutation and natural selection and so we are agreed that some amount of evolution can occur (you call it micro-evolution). Abiogenesis does not enter into that consideration, if it did then your assertion that abiogenesis is impossible would also imply that "micro-evolution" is impossible, since micro-evolution and macro-evolution differ only in the time required and the extent of variation achieved.

Secondly, we would not expect abiogenesis to still be occurring in modern times for at least two main reasons. a) The conditions thought to have been conducive to abiogenesis are no longer common and thus the chances of such a reaction occuring are now much lower. b) The free organic materials required are now in very short supply as they are constantly being assimilated by living organisms. Understandably, these organisms have a massive competitive head start on any abiogenesis reaction that might occur in the wild.
    J C wrote:
    2. How can life be generated spontaneously if the
    random production of the critical amino acid SEQUENCE for an essential
    protein is a MATHEMATICAL impossibility?

The question assumes that the first life would have need or use for a critical amino acid sequence. It assumes that function is an absolute rather than being defined by natural selection. It assumes that function precedes structure. It also assumes that such structures must come into being with that pre-conceived functional destiny in a single step. All of these assumptions are incorrect and make no sense in the framework of a process working by natural selection.

The first life would have had no need for any functions other than stability in its medium and replication efficiency. Any sequences or structures adopted by the replicator would help or hinder these functions. Replication will reduce the population impact of the very common detrimental mutations. The "critical functions" will emerge only by exaptation from already present structures/sequences with simpler functions.
    J C wrote:
    3. If the SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) radio telescopes were to pick up the DNA code for an Amoeba being transmitted from a distant point in our galaxy, evolutioists would definitively conclude that they had found proof of extraterrestrial intelligence – so why do evolutionists not conclude that the Amoeba's own DNA code, is also proof of intelligence AKA God?

For the same reason that a transmission of the composition of basalt would be considered a sign of intelligence but a piece of basalt itself is not considered to have been intelligently designed. The acts of determining that sequence or composition, translating it into a transmissible form and then performing the act of direct and focussed transmission are evidence of intelligence. The content itself could be anything, so long as it can be perceived as information rather than noise by the receiver.
    Were we to transmit the amoeba genome to the aliens, they’d probably realise the signal itself was of intelligent origin but they might well have considerable difficulty figuring out whether the signal contains information as it would not having meaning for them unless they had seen the amoeba genome before.
    J C wrote:
    4. If evolution is ongoing there should be millions of intermediate forms everywhere among both living and fossil creatures. Why has not even ONE continuum ever been observed among either living or fossil creatures for a functioning useful structure?

I can’t say whether your assertion that the full fossil lineage of some given feature has never been shown is actually true, though it wouldn’t be all that surprising if it were. Given that fossilisation is a rare event that relies on rather unlikely conditions, and given that the conditions which bring them to the surface are also rare, we should expect to see very few fossils by comparison to the number of species that must exist. Add that to the fact that fossils typically don’t survive exposure for long and we fully expect the fossil record to contain many gaps.
    J C wrote:
    5. Why do our Mitochondrial DNA sequences (which are inherited in the
    female line i.e. 100% from our mothers) show that all human beings are originally descended from ONE woman?

This is because all of the currently-existing humans originally descended from a single woman. She may well have had siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins but their descendants are extinct. This need not have been the result of a single event. She would also not have been the earliest human, but merely the most recent common ancestor of the currently living humans.
    J C wrote:
    6. Why do our Y-chromosome sequences (which are inherited in the male
    line i.e. 100% from our fathers) show that all men are originally
    descended from ONE man

All humans are descended from a single male who mated with a descendant of mitochondrial Eve. The two were separated in time by at least 50,000 years. During the time since this mating, the descendants of relatives of Y-Adam became extinct.
    J C wrote:
    7. How do you explain the random (non-intelligent) design and production of observed biochemical systems at atomic levels of resolution that outclass the largest and most sophisticated manufacturing abilities of mankind?

The question has nothing to do with the veracity of evolution. If we were currently capable of exactly reproducing any and all processes generated by evolution, would that prove that evolution happened? Would we be in the ludicrous situation where, looking back to a time when we could not reproduce these processes for ourselves (such as 1500’s) we could assert that evolution was not true back then because of their technological limitations?

4 billion years of evolution by natural selection has produced many structures and processes that humans, after less than 500 years of detailed investigation, have not been able to replicate. That has no bearing on whether evolution happened.
    J C wrote:
    8. How do you explain the random (non-intelligent) design of the observed levels of interlinked complexity and functionality within living systems that are multiple orders of magnitude greater than out most powerful computer systems?

Once again, by incremental increases in complexity over approximately 4 billion years. We’ve been designing computer systems for less than 100 years and yet they may well exceed the most complex life forms in the next 100. Will this have any impact on the veracity of evolution?
    J C wrote:
    9. Why do some scientists continue to believe that the Human Genome was an "accident of nature" – while they know that the super computers and gene sequencers that they had to use to decode it, were created through the purposeful application of intelligent design

They continue to believe it because that explanation makes the most sense given the available evidence. It is the explanation which incorporates and explains all of the known evidence to date. By contrast, belief in ID and creationism requires that some evidence be ignored (justified by any excuse at all) and some must be "re-interpreted" (4,500,000,000 = 6,000). Nobody denies that the genome is complex, although the sequencing of the human genome in fact revealed it to be less complex than anticipated.
    J C wrote:
    10. Why do we observe great perfection and genetic diversity in all species when "dog eat dog" Evolution would predict very significant levels of "work in progress" and the bare minimum of diversity necessary for the short-term survival of the individual?

You’re making some incorrect assumptions as a part of the question.

First, we don’t observe great perfection in nature; we typically observe plenty of “good enough” features. We see vasculature that takes convoluted routes for no particular reason but which gets the job done, extra teeth that serve little function but do not significantly impact on survival, vestigial organs exapted to non-critical functions although being not well suited to them.

Second, evolution does not predict a great many “work in progress” features (if by that, you mean functionless features) as entirely functionless features will tend to reduce survival and reproduction likelihood as they’ll often represent a poor cost:benefit ratio. We’ll certainly see them sometimes, and we’ll sometimes even see detrimental features persisting for a time, but mostly these won’t last many generations. Typically the “work in progress” features will have a useful function that will either be refined of exapted later. This is what we observe.

Third, evolution does not predict minimal genetic diversity in general. It predicts that it will be observed if a species has undergone a genetic bottleneck or very extreme selection (which will typically be one and the same thing). Again, this is what is observed.
    J C wrote:
    11. Why is the only mechanism postulated by Evolution to produce genetic variation – genetic mutation – invariably damaging to the genome resulting in lethal and semi lethal conditions most of the time?

How can a thing “invariably” be anything “most of the time”? "60% of the time it works every time"? Sure.

Mutation is damaging “most of the time” but not “invariably”. And the reality is that most mutations are more neutral than damaging. Every new human born has some 150-200 new mutations, and we're not extinct yet. Also the great thing about reproduction is that even when the majority of mutations are detrimental, there are always other members of the species in existence to carry on the “last good” version of that genome. It’s like having millions of backups.
    J C wrote:
    12. Any putative 'evolving organism' is statistically just as likely to be taking two "critical amino acid sequence" steps backwards for every one step forwards, as it is to be going the other way around. If ALL critical amino acid sequences except the CORRECT one will confer NO advantage –
    how can a population "work up" to the correct critical amino acid sequence through "genetic drift" or Natural Selection ?

This is pretty much the same question as the last one, except now you’re talking about gene products instead of genes. The principle is still the same.
    J C wrote:
    13. Why do we observe that all living systems use pre-existing SOPHISTICATED complex biochemical systems and bio-molecules to produce SIMPLE bio-molecules – and not the other way around, if Evolution is true?

We don’t observe that. The complex transcriptional and translational machinery that generates most of our gene products (except for the metabolites from enzymes etc) is itself generated by that machinery. So immediately there’s an example of the machinery producing machinery of equal complexity. Also, the machinery can generate more complex proteins, such as the 30,000+ amino-acid protein connectin.
    J C wrote:
    14. How do you explain the origins of DNA when the production of DNA
    is observed to require the pre-existence of other DNA / RNA and a
    massively complex array of other biochemical "machinery"?

The ultimate origins of DNA as used by organisms is not conclusively known. It is most likely that early life used an alternate nucleic acid, and that at some point this was used as a template for the first DNA genomes. The most favoured candidate is RNA, which can replicate freely in water when allowed to interact with several kinds of catalytic clays. However, at this time, this is an untested hypothesis. It's also nothing to do with the modern synthesis theory of evolution, which concerns itself with the emergence of variation in life, not the origin of life.
    J C wrote:
    15. Why have we never observed any species to actually INCREASE genetic information over time if "upwards and onwards" Evolution is in action out there?

Please fully define a) “genetic information” as you understand it and b) what would hypothetically constitute an increase in that information.
    J C wrote:
    16. With odds in excess of 10 to the power of 1,800,000,000 against the production of the nucleic acid sequence of the Human Genome by accident – how do you explain it's existence using random chance Evolution when the number of electrons in the known universe are only
    10 to the power of 82?

Based on calculations you have shown previously, you’ve made some errors and have misunderstood the meaning of probability somewhat also. The probability value you’ve provided is that of the appearance of 1 exclusive human genome from a random mixture of DNA nucleotides in 1 step given an unspecified time period. This is indeed an event so unlikely as to be negligible. However, it is not claimed that the human genome came into existence in this manner. Instead the process would be incremental, massively parallel, non-teleological, constantly being backed up by replication and occurring over a time period of 4 billion years. That being said, a probability calculation will doubtlessly still show that the specified human genome is an unlikely outcome, indeed all specified genomes of equal complexity will also be similarly unlikely. However, the likelihood of any unspecificed genome of that level of complexity emerging will be of an enormously higher probability. In essence, it's the difference between rolling a six on a die and rolling an even number. The difference between a single outcome and a panel of viable outcomes, of which the specified outcome is merely one option.

The human genome is not specified by anything other than its own persistence and so the probability of its existence due to natural selection is much higher than that of some arbitrary specified genome of equal complexity.

Unless you can show full calculations demonstrating that a plausible abiogenesis hypothesis is similarly unlikely, then this probability argument is essentially worthless.
    J C wrote:
    17. Why is it claimed that the 1953 Miller-Urey experiment shows how life's building blocks may have formed on Earth - when conditions on the early Earth were probably nothing like those used in the experiment, and the origin of life remains a scientific mystery?

I think it is quite well-accepted that the Miller-Urey experiment was a demonstration that 22 kinds of amino acids could be derived from a mundane mix of organic chemicals undergoing mundane natural processes. It would be an error to assume that the experiment is an accurate simulation of conditions on the early Earth, given that we now know more about those conditions, but it still stands as a demonstration that amino acids can be generated from some of the components of the early Earth without intelligent intervention. Later experiments have further demonstrated that lipids and nucleic acids can be similarly derived from conditions that are comfortably within the parameters expected on the early Earth (ie no impossible temperatures, pH conditions, exotic elements or manipulation of these conditions).
    J C wrote:
    18. What is the evolutionary explanation for the "Cambrian explosion," in which all major animal groups appear together in the fossil record fully formed instead of branching from a common ancestor – thus contradicting the evolutionary tree of life?

The Cambrian explosion wasn’t actually much of an explosion. We’d expect that most of the Precambrian multi-cellular animal life would be quite small to the point of bordering on the microscopic, and so there should be fewer clear fossils of these organisms. Never the less there are numerous examples of animal fossils predating the Cambrian by some 50 million years as well as a great many examples of transitional fossils bridging the gaps between some of the major animal phyla such as the worms and the arthropods during the Cambrian (so the assertion that the phyla simply appeared is incorrect, we can see these phyla emerging). Molecular analysis now shows that a whole host of invertebrate species originated in the Precambrian also, again undermining the suddenness of the event. Further, there is evidence from the decline of some even earlier species that (very) small animal predation may have been occurring some 500 million years prior to the Cambrian. Given that the “explosion” itself may actually have spanned some 40 million years, it seems more likely that what we are observing in the fossil record is the emergence of a greater number of larger animal species that fossilise better. There’s also a good chance that the result of the emergence of larger and more motile animals created a great many more opportunities for organisms to range widely and become reproductively isolated. What all of this amounts to is that the Cambrian diversification, whilst remarkable, is not at all the event we once thought it was.

In fact, there is so much good evidence against the notion that phyla simply appeared during the Cambrian that this argument is very rarely used by Creationists anymore.
    J C wrote:
    19. Why is it claimed that beak changes in Galapagos finches during a severe drought can explain the origin of species by natural selection- even though the changes were reversed after the drought ended, and no net evolution occurred?

Without knowing what specific event you’re referring to, it’s hard to comment properly. A drought could easily represent an evolutionary selective pressure. However, droughts are quite transient events that last years rather than millennia. If the pressure is present for long enough (timing would depend on the pressure and the trait in question), all individuals carrying some undesirable trait will become extinct and you’ll have your “net evolution”. If the pressure is transient enough that some individuals with the undesirable trait remain when the pressure ceases, then genetic drift will return the frequencies of those traits to equilibrium once again over time.

We can say that this event demonstrates how natural selection works because it does just that. We can observe changes in allele frequencies over time, which is the output of the process of natural selection.
    J C wrote:
    20. Why is it claimed that fruit flies with an extra pair of wings is evidence that DNA mutations can supply raw materials for evolution -even though the extra wings have no muscles and these disabled mutants cannot survive outside the laboratory?

Can you point me to a peer-reviewed evolutionary research paper which makes this assertion? This sounds like a rather specific case, yet the details you provide are vague.
    J C wrote:
    21. Why are artists' drawings of apelike humans used to justify materialistic claims that we are just animals and our existence is a mere accident - when fossil experts cannot even agree on who our supposed ancestors were or what they looked like?

You’re making two claims here. First that “materialists” use artist’s drawings as evidence; who do you mean by “materialists”? If you mean scientists, then I would challenge you to show me any peer-reviewed paper or review which uses an artist’s impression of human ancestry as evidence, or indeed uses them at all. Second, you’re claiming that fossil experts cannot agree on the lineage of our ancestors. Again, you haven’t pointed to specifics which would be helpful. However, the paths taken by evolution are certainly not known in their entirety, but that uncertainty does not amount to an uncertainty regarding the principles which underlie those paths.

To draw an analogy to another theory, we don’t know the exact orbital characteristics of some of the planets we’ve observed around other stars, but that fact does not cast doubt on our understanding of gravity. Only contradictory evidence, not the absence of evidence, falsifies theory. Just as observations of the orbit of Mercury falsified the Newtonian theory of gravity and demanded that a new theory be built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Mutation is damaging “most of the time” but not “invariably”. And the reality is that most mutations are more neutral than damaging. Every new human born has some 150-200 new mutations, and we're not extinct yet.

This is true. No need for excessive pessimism. For amusement, though, Genetics lecturers can give themselves a bit of poetic licence and quote Larkin:
    They [charter-contravening profanity] you up, your mum and dad,
    They may not mean to but they do,
    They fill you with the faults they had,
    And add some extra, just for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

monosharp said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    Evolutionary science and Creation science are both interpretations of Science.
    Creation Science or Scientific Creationism is the movement within creationism which attempts to provide support for the religious Genesis account of creation, and disprove accepted scientific facts, theories and scientific paradigms on the history of the Earth, cosmology and biological evolution.
    Creation Science is fundamentalist religious people desperately trying to discredit any science which contradicts their religion.

It is not an interpretation of science, it is a religious group who feel science threatens their beliefs and as all good fundamentalists do, they fight against anything which goes against their beliefs.
    Creation science is the science presented by a religious group who feel false science threatens their beliefs. And they do indeed they fight against anything which goes against their beliefs, including current theories held in reverence by the scientific establishment.
    Creation 'science' is no different from the nonsense sprouted by opponents of Galileo Galilei and even now, 2009, there are still some religious people who actually believe the sun orbits the earth. Do you ?
    No, nor do I believe life spontaneously arose from non-life, or any other fairy story. As to religious people believing fairy stories, the world is full of false religion, both of the atheistic and theistic kind. Evolution is one of the main contenders.
    Quote:
    Evolutionism and Creationism have all the great Laws of science in common.

Objects on Earth tend to fall downwards unless otherwise prevented from doing so.
    The tendency of objects to fall is called gravity.
    Gravity is a fact.
    Glad we agree on that. :D
    The prevalence of different traits changes from generation to generation in populations of living organisms.
    And on that too. :D
    Changes in trait prevalence from generation to generation is called evolution.
    It is indeed - by evolutionists. It is also called diversification by creationists. We observe changes in flies, for example. But never them ending up as non-flies. But a more accurate description is given by this quote in A-i-G:
    What really matters is not the size of changes, but rather whether changes add information to a creature’s genome. Observational science tells us that all the “evolutionary” changes we observe either keep genetic information constant or reduce it. That’s the opposite of what molecules-to-man evolution would require. Furthermore, humans are set apart as a unique created kind in the Genesis account.
    Evolution is a fact.
    Diversification is a fact. Evolution in the sense of molecules-to-Man is a fiction.
    Gravity is a fact and a theory.
    Right!
    Evolution is a fact and a theory.
    Wrong!
    Einstein's explanation of the fact of gravity, called the general theory of relativity, greatly modified the older Newtonian notions of gravity and is currently the most accepted theory of gravity.
    Great!
    The modern explanation of the fact of evolution, called the modern evolutionary synthesis, has greatly modified and extended the ideas of Darwin and is currently the most accepted theory of evolution.
    Sad, but correct. It is the most accepted theory of evolution. However, all theories of evolution are fictions.
    Quote:
    They both incorporate the main body of Science but they differ on how that explains the matter of the development of the universe, or more particularly, the biosphere.

No, they differ on science which contradicts the Bible for religious reasons.
    That too.
    Quote:
    Here's an example of evolutionary science misleading the medical world and the creation model being seen as correct:
    Back problems: how Darwinism misled researchers
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v15/i3/back.asp

Oh good you found an example.
    I'm a non-scientist, so it depends on what I trawl from the sites. Glad to help.
    Well first of all what you are talking about is the Williams exercises developed in the 1930's. So lets start rebuking the rubbish in that article shall we.

1. Williams believed that back problems were the result of our sedentary lifestyle, slouching etc. Specifically the curve of our spine.
    OK. But did he not presuppose our curvature was in itself a weakness due to our evolutionary inheritance?
    2. Evolution says we once walked on all fours, it also says we used to live in the sea but I don't expect many doctors will tell you to start drinking sea water for your health. Williams did not base his exercises on evolution, he based his exercises on the spine because of what he observed as problems with his patients.
    Are you denying that the scientific world held that our curvature was a weakness in itself, due to our supposed move from our ape-like originals?

In fact, never mind the scientific world in general, what about Williams himself? Williams’ treatment was based on the conclusion that simply standing up straight ‘causes most low back problems,’35 i.e. humans have back problems because of their erect posture, a posture ‘different from that of any of earth’s other creatures.’35 Many problems result from erect posture because humans are ‘physically ill-equipped to walk upright.’35 Part of the solution, he concluded, is to walk with the body tilted forward. To achieve this forward posture, the individual must force the lumbar spine backward, thereby changing the weight distribution on the vertebral column. Williams also believes that walking upright is an ‘extremely difficult skill to master’—which is why ‘it takes a human child about three years to become an accomplished walker; whereas most other land animals become quite competent within the first few weeks following their birth.’35 He compares the human’s standing erect problems to trying to ‘stand a soft drink bottle on its neck.’35 35. Williams, P.C., Low Back and Neck Pain: Causes and Conservative Treatment, Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, IL, p. 13, 1982 Edition.

3. Your article incorrectly claims that the Williams technique is harmful, again truth mixed with lies.
    Doctors differ... I would not like to be treated by yours. :D
    Secondly his thinking and exercises are NOT based on creationism. Its based on exactly the same thing as Williams. He observed pain in his patients and designed exercises to try and relieve that pain.
    I'm glad he looked beyond evolutionary presuppositions and focussed on the actuality. When evolutionists leave their fairy story behind and work on observed science, good things happen. :)
    This has nothing to do with creationism.
    It fits the creationist model. We are meant to have human spines, not ape-like ones. Designed for work and play. :D
    If our spine was designed there would be no problem, because our spine evolved we have these problems.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_s..._to_bipedalism
    That you for that article, which confirms what I said about the evolutionary presuppositions on back-pain.

I can find no better description of it than your own words:
    This is one of the most laughable things I have ever read
    to suggest the notion that god 'magicked' us into existence as we are was supportive of an exercise to relieve back pain. Only delusional fundamentalists could come up with this.
    You need to focus to follow:
    Human spine the ideal = God designed us.

Back pain should not be dealt with on the basis that our spines are poorly evolved = Back pain should be dealt with on the basis of restoring our natural posture.

wolfsbane wrote: »

You need to focus to follow:
    Human spine the ideal = God designed us.

Back pain should not be dealt with on the basis that our spines are poorly evolved = Back pain should be dealt with on the basis of restoring our natural posture.

Human Spine Ideal...you gotta be kidding me!

NO ALL KNOWING ENGINEER WOULD DESIGN A MACHINE LIKE OUR SPINES

Anyways, here is a simple enough explanation of how evolution caused backpain by bad spine curving...

• Advertisement

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Creation science is the science presented by a religious group who feel false science threatens their beliefs. And they do indeed they fight against anything which goes against their beliefs, including current theories held in reverence by the scientific establishment.

No theory is held in 'reverence' by the scientific establishment. I don't believe evolution because I 'want' to or because I am 'atheist'. My atheism has nothing to do with how I view science.

If tomorrow someone brought serious evidence that for example seriously questioned natural selection as a process of evolution then science would change.

Scientists base their knowledge on evidence, it is constantly changing and mistakes are corrected. Scientific theories are not 'beliefs', they are the best explanation using the current evidence at that time.

For example Newtons view on gravity was scientific theory for years, he made some mistakes which were later corrected by Einstein and I'm sure in a few years we'll find that Einstein had made mistakes which will be corrected.

Thats science. We don't hold anything in 'reverence'.

Thats the main difference. Whether or not you are right or wrong you will always hold your view because its your belief. If we should you 100% irrefutable evidence you will not change and you will find anyway out of accepting it because it goes against your belief.

And that is why creation science is not science.
    No, nor do I believe life spontaneously arose from non-life, or any other fairy story. As to religious people believing fairy stories, the world is full of false religion, both of the atheistic and theistic kind. Evolution is one of the main contenders.

Honestly, Why do you assume belief in evolution means belief in abiogenesis ? They really are not the same thing. Its like saying believing in evolution means believing in the big bang. Its not the same thing at all.

If you ask a scientist where does life come from he will say, "We don't know but there are many theories"
    If you ask a scientist about the diversity of life he will point you to the theory of evolution.
    What really matters is not the size of changes, but rather whether changes add information to a creature’s genome. Observational science tells us that all the “evolutionary” changes we observe either keep genetic information constant or reduce it. That’s the opposite of what molecules-to-man evolution would require. Furthermore, humans are set apart as a unique created kind in the Genesis account.

Please tell me you do understand that that is not science ?
    Diversification is a fact. Evolution in the sense of molecules-to-Man is a fiction.

Abigenesis = evolution.
    Are you denying that the scientific world held that our curvature was a weakness in itself, due to our supposed move from our ape-like originals?

Who are you talking about here ?
    It fits the creationist model. We are meant to have human spines, not ape-like ones. Designed for work and play. :D

Designed badly.

From talkorigins.

Williams' treatment for back pain was not based on evolutionary theory. It was based on observations of normal people and people with back pain. Part of his rationale was that people from African and Asian cultures who sat on the floor had less back pain than Westerners with their chairs.

Furthermore, Williams did not recommend decreasing lordosis all the time, but only in cases of posterior disc bulging. It was already well known that anything which interfered with the spine's normal curvature, increasing or decreasing it, tended to cause pain. As even Bergman acknowledges, the Williams flexion exercises are beneficial in cases of spinal stenosis.

Mackenzie's exercises were more effective because they were simple and required no special equipment, so patient compliance was much greater.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement