Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

monosharp wrote: »
    In biology, evolution is change in the genetic material of a population of organisms from one generation to the next. Though changes produced in any one generation are normally small, differences accumulate with each generation and can, over time, cause substantial changes in the population, a process that can result in the emergence of new species

The basis of evolution is the genes that are passed on from generation to generation; these produce an organism's inherited traits. These traits vary within populations, with organisms showing heritable differences (variation) in their traits. Evolution itself is the product of two opposing forces: processes that constantly introduce variation, and processes that make variants either become more common or rare. New variation arises in two main ways: either from mutations in genes, or from the transfer of genes between populations and between species. New combinations of genes are also produced by genetic recombination, which can increase variation between organisms.

Does Evolution require a common ancestor for all life ? NO
    Does Evolution require an explanation for the origin of life ? NO
    Does Evolution require that Unicellular organisms evolved into multicellular organisms ? NO
    ......sounds like you could write all there is to know scientifically about 'evolution' on the back of a match-box!!!!
    ....of course, the speculative baloney about 'evolution' is endless ... and that is why I maintain that all books about 'evolution' should be in the 'fiction' sections of bookstores!!!:D

Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Heredity ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Variation ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Variation ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Mutation ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Genetic recombination and Sexual reproduction ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Genetic recombination and Population genetics ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Gene flow ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of natural selection and genetic drift. ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of adaptation. ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Co-Evolution. ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Co-operation ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Speciation ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Extinction ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Extinction ?
    ...sounds like Evolutionary Biology just 'boils down' to the study of sexual/natural selection and the resulting 'genetic drift' ... which is also accepted as a fact by Creation Scientists!!!

....so it is now 'safe' to employ Creation Scientists in Evolutionist Organisations!!!!

Once the baloney is kept strictly isolated from the facts ... then the study of Evolutionary Biology is indeed a very valuable and valid scientific discipline!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

J C wrote: »
    ...sounds like you could write all there is to know scientifically about 'evolution' on the back of a match-box!!!!

....of course, the speculative baloney about 'evolution' is endless ... and that is why I maintain that all books about 'evolution' should be in the 'fiction' sections of bookstores!!!:D

...sounds like Evolutionary Biology just 'boils down' to the study of sexual/natural selection and the resulting 'genetic drift' ... which is also accepted as a fact by Creation Scientists!!!

....so it is now 'safe' to employ Creation Scientists in Evolutionist Organisations!!!!:D

Once the baloney is kept strictly isolated from the facts ... then the study of Evolutionary Biology is indeed a very valuable and valid scientific discipline!!!!
    I wouldn't say it's now safe to employ creation scientists J C. It has taken you 4 years to realise that all of the stuff you've been calling evolution isn't actually evolution and all the things you've been shouting from the rooftops to try to disprove it don't actually disprove it. That is not the hallmark of a good scientist. Creation "scientists" do not get labelled as stupid because they reject evolution, they get labelled stupid because they don't understand it and keep bringing up red herrings due to that misunderstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

...sounds like you could write all there is to know scientifically about 'evolution' on the back of a match-box!!!!

Your so wrong its pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

There are hundreds of thousands of scientific papers on Evolution,not a single one on creationism.

Scientific organisations which support Evolution and reject creationism.

Alabama Academy of Science
    American Anthropological Association (1980)
    American Anthropological Association (2000)
    American Association for the Advancement of Science (1923)
    American Association for the Advancement of Science (1972)
    American Association for the Advancement of Science (1982)
    American Association for the Advancement of Science (2002)
    American Association for the Advancement of Science Commission on Science Education
    American Association of Physical Anthropologists
    American Astronomical Society
    American Astronomical Society (2000)
    American Astronomical Society (2005)
    American Chemical Society (1981)
    American Chemical Society (2005)
    American Geological Institute
    American Geophysical Union (1981)
    American Geophysical Union (2003)
    American Institute of Biological Sciences
    American Physical Society
    American Psychological Association (1982)
    American Psychological Association (2007)
    American Society for Microbiology (2006)
    American Society of Biological Chemists
    American Society of Parasitologists
    American Sociological Association
    Association for Women Geoscientists
    Association of Southeastern Biologists
    Australian Academy of Science
    Biophysical Society
    Botanical Society of America
    California Academy of Sciences
    Committee for the Anthropology of Science, Technology, and Computing
    Ecological Society of America
    Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
    Genetics Society of America
    Geological Society of America (1983)
    Geological Society of America (2001)
    Geological Society of Australia
    Georgia Academy of Science (1980)
    Georgia Academy of Science (1982)
    Georgia Academy of Science (2003)
    History of Science Society
    Idaho Scientists for Quality Science Education
    InterAcademy Panel
    Iowa Academy of Science (1981)
    Iowa Academy of Science (1986)
    Iowa Academy of Science (2000)
    Kansas Academy of Science
    Kentucky Academy of Science
    Kentucky Paleontological Society
    Louisiana Academy of Sciences (1982)
    Louisiana Academy of Sciences (2006)
    National Academy of Sciences (1972)
    National Academy of Sciences (1984)
    National Academy of Sciences (2007)
    New Mexico Academy of Science
    New Orleans Geological Society
    New York Academy of Sciences
    North American Benthological Society
    North Carolina Academy of Science (1982)
    North Carolina Academy of Science (1997)
    Ohio Academy of Science
    Ohio Math and Science Coalition
    Pennsylvania Academy of Science
    Pennsylvania Council of Professional Geologists
    Philosophy of Science Association
    Research!America
    Royal Astronomical Society of Canada — Ottawa Centre
    Royal Society
    Royal Society of Canada
    Royal Society of Canada, Academy of Science
    Sigma Xi, Louisiana State University Chapter
    Society for Amateur Scientists
    Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology
    Society for Neuroscience
    Society for Organic Petrology
    Society for the Study of Evolution
    Society of Physics Students
    Society of Systematic Biologists
    Society of Vertebrate Paleontology (1986)
    Society of Vertebrate Paleontology (1994)
    Southern Anthropological Society
    Tallahassee Scientific Society
    Tennessee Darwin Coalition
    The Paleontological Society
    Virginia Academy of Science
    West Virginia Academy of Science
    ....of course, the speculative baloney about 'evolution' is endless ... and that is why I maintain that all books about 'evolution' should be in the 'fiction' sections of bookstores

You don't even know what it is, I suppose thats because if you actually learned what it was it would be more difficult to blindly deny the facts for your fundamentalist beliefs.

Thanks for showing everyone yet again that you are incapable of any kind of intelligent discussion, you are incapable of learning anything about biology and you are incapable of answering even the most simple and basic questions.

Scientific organisations which support Evolution and reject creationism.

Ah but they're all in on the conspiracy didn't you know that? It's not just that creationists don't understand evolution and keep spouting nonsense because of that lack of understanding, they're being silenced by all those evil scientists :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

JC,

Just curious (I'm throwing you a bone here), creation scientists worked out to perfection the age of the earth. So I'd image you must know what age was Jesus when He died and when was He born?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Malty_T wrote: »
    JC,

Just curious (I'm throwing you a bone here), creation scientists worked out to perfection the age of the earth. So I'd image you must know what age was Jesus when He died and when was He born?

According to this he never existed. I was just reading the site and wondering to myself what real evidence is there. From MY point of view there was only the shroud of turin, but I believe that turned out to not be true.

The more I read and see about the whole JC thing the more I'm convinced that he never existed. But again in MY opinion the bible is great because it has given us a form of moral grounding, so I don't mind the stories. I'm just waiting for the next edition of the bible to fix up some parts.
    Did Jesus Christ really exist, or is Christianity built upon a legend? Few scholars question Jesus' existence, but some enemies of Christianity are attempting to prove otherwise.
    In a lawsuit against the Vatican, the Church was accused of inventing the story of Jesus' existence. Although the case was thrown out of court in February, 2006, the plaintiff, Luigi Cascioli, appealed, but ultimately his case was closed.

The argument against Jesus' existence was made public on CNN TV when Ellen Johnson, president of American Atheists, declared:
    “The reality is there is not one shred of secular evidence there ever was a Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ and Christianity is a modern religion. And Jesus Christ is a compilation from other gods: Osiris, Mithras, who had the same origins, the same death as the mythological Jesus Christ.” - Ellen Johnson, atheist
    Johnson and a blue-ribbon panel of religious leaders were discussing the question, “What happens after we die?” on a Larry King Live CNN broadcast. The usually unflappable King paused reflectively and then replied, “So you don’t believe there was a Jesus Christ?”

With an air of certainty, Johnson responded, “There was not. It is not what I believe; there is no secular evidence that JC, Jesus Christ, ever existed.”

King had no follow-up and went to a commercial break. No discussion of any evidence for or against Jesus’ existence was forthcoming. The international television audience was left wondering.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sniipe wrote: »
    According to this he never existed. I was just reading the site and wondering to myself what real evidence is there. From MY point of view there was only the shroud of turin, but I believe that turned out to not be true.

The more I read and see about the whole JC thing the more I'm convinced that he never existed. But again in MY opinion the bible is great because it has given us a form of moral grounding, so I don't mind the stories. I'm just waiting for the next edition of the bible to fix up some parts.

The majority of historians would believe that Jesus did indeed exist. But, it's a free country, and you are free to believe whatever you want to believe.

PDN wrote: »
    The majority of historians would believe that Jesus did indeed exist. But, it's a free country, and you are free to believe whatever you want to believe.

Hey PDN, I'm not questioning the existence of Jesus (historical Jesus) here although I did it in another thread before. I do know that most historians do agree that there was a Jesus character but I'm unsure about how sure they are he is the same guy referenced in the Bible and what aspects of the Bible account they agree or disagree with.

Could you shed some light here ? Although this is a little OT isn't it ?

P.S while your here can you please let us (and JC) know your opinion on A) the age of the Earth B) Evolution and C) the story of Genesis, literal or metaphorical.

JC has claimed that any true Christian must believe in a young earth, evolution is false and genesis is literally true.

JC has claimed that any true Christian must believe in a young earth, evolution is false and genesis is literally true.

JC obviously hasn't met the true scotsman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Panrich

Sniipe wrote: »

Although if you continue to read the article it makes the opposite point. It makes a case for an historical Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Humm... I think you need to refresh yourself on the finer points of the charter.

Yes, I should not have misrepresented a particular field, and wrapped it up with nonsensical rhetoric, thereby stifling any kind of productive discussion.

Actually, I've just had a brain wave. I think everyone should refrain from doing this!

In biology, evolution is change in the genetic material of a population of organisms from one generation to the next. Though changes produced in any one generation are normally small, differences accumulate with each generation and can, over time, cause substantial changes in the population, a process that can result in the emergence of new species

The basis of evolution is the genes that are passed on from generation to generation; these produce an organism's inherited traits. These traits vary within populations, with organisms showing heritable differences (variation) in their traits. Evolution itself is the product of two opposing forces: processes that constantly introduce variation, and processes that make variants either become more common or rare. New variation arises in two main ways: either from mutations in genes, or from the transfer of genes between populations and between species. New combinations of genes are also produced by genetic recombination, which can increase variation between organisms.

Does Evolution require that Unicellular organisms evolved into multicellular organisms ? NO
    ...this is all the CONTROVERSAL 'origins' stuff that has no evidence for it's existence...so IF you are saying that 'evolution' doesn't include (or at least doesn't need) these defunct ideas ... then I have no scientific issues with you ... and neither does any other Creation Scientist!!!!

Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Heredity ?
    NO
    NO
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Mutation ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Genetic recombination and Sexual reproduction ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Genetic recombination and Population genetics ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Gene flow ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of natural selection and genetic drift. ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of adaptation. ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Co-Evolution. ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Co-operation ?
    NO
    Would any of the above disprove Evolutionary biology in terms of the study of Speciation ?
    NO
    NO
    ...IF Evolutionary Biology just 'boils down' to the study of sexual/natural selection and the resulting 'genetic drift' ... which is also accepted as a fact by Creation Scientists... then, once again we have no disagreement ... as none of the above phenomena are disputed by Creation Science!!!

...I love you all !!!!
    smiley-face.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'll take your advice under consideration. In the mean time I suggest that you omit the parody and smartarsedness from your posts.

...this is all the CONTROVERSAL 'origins' stuff that has no evidence for it's existence...so IF you are saying that 'evolution' doesn't include (or at least doesn't need) these defunct ideas ... then I have no scientific issues with you ... and neither does any other Creation Scientist!!!!

...IF Evolutionary Biology just 'boils down' to the study of sexual/natural selection and the resulting 'genetic drift' ... which is also accepted as a fact by Creation Scientists... then, once again we have no disagreement ... as none of the above phenomena are disputed by Creation Science!!!

...I love you all !!!!
    smiley-face.gif

Is..................is it over? :eek:

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Is..................is it over? :eek:
    ...it seems to be!!!!

...but I wouldn't bet on the thread not taking off again, when the Evolutionists 'dust themselves down' ... and regroup to defend their invalid 'origins' explanations!!!!!
    wrote:
    Originally Posted by monosharp

...and IF Evolutionary Biology just 'boils down' to the study of sexual/natural selection and the resulting 'genetic drift' ... which is also accepted as a fact by Creation Scientists... then, once again we have no disagreement!!!

....now WHAT were the past 1200 plus pages all about ... IF Evolutionists have given up on 'evolution' as an 'origins' explanation!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

What are you talking about ? :confused:

We are not claiming creationists can't use x, y and z. We are saying you can't say we are using a, b and c in the definition of evolution when a, b and c are NOT in the definition of evolution.

Then you need to call it its proper scientific term.

Again, if you proved tomorrow that god magicked human beings into existence as we are, fully formed it would still not change the fact of evolution at all, the definition of which is "organisms change over generations".

It would change a huge number of aspects of the theory of evolution but many more aspects would be completely unaffected.

When you deny abiogenesis or evolution from a very simple organism (Unicellular) to a more complex organism (multicellular) you are not denying evolution, you are denying apart of evolution.

Disproving a common ancestor would not disprove evolution.
    Disproving abiogenesis would not disprove evolution.
    Disproving we evolved from a unicellular organism would not disprove evolution.

These would disprove aspects of evolution and certain evolutionary theories.

This is why I want you to use the correct terms because its confusing as hell and its very unscientific and very wrong.

Its complete nonsense.

:confused:

If I define something and I claim the evidence supports my definition and then I present that evidence, then you re-define my definition a way you like which is not something I am saying and then you claim to prove that wrong, what kind of sense does that make ?

You are disproving what YOU defined. You are not disproving the original definition or the evidence.

Could you please tell us what problem you have with Pythagorean theorem.

Its like saying I have disproved Pythagoras because the square of the length of the hypotenuse is not equal to 3.14.

Perhaps you'd like to redefine it for us ?
    I'm sorry you remain so confused. I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

Both evolutionists and creationists believe "organisms change over generations". You choose to call that evolution, we choose to call it diversification.

Your whole theory says this 'evolution' continues beyond the limits we see today and involves billions of years of INCREASING complexity, we are happy to denote your all-encompassing version as evolution, and oppose it to our version which we can call diversification.

I hope that helps.

If not, let me then claim "organisms change over generations" as part of Creationism, so that you must accept Creationism if you hold that "organisms change over generations". That's how silly your present argument is.

Let me try a bit further:
    God magicked human beings into existence as we are, fully formed.
    Abiogenesis did not happen.
    Evolution from a very simple organism (Unicellular) to a more complex organism (multicellular) did not happen.
    There was no common ancestor for all the biosphere.

Since you say all these could be true and evolution too, it seems "organisms change over generations" is the only thing that defines evolution in your mind.

If that is so, we welcome you, brother Creationist. :) Those are the key concepts of Creationism.

I'll take your advice under consideration. In the mean time I suggest that you omit the parody and smartarsedness from your posts.

Well no offence but if a parody makes a reasonable point then I'll parody. I won't break any of the rules, but I won't have my posting style dictated either.
    ...it seems to be!!!!

...and IF Evolutionary Biology just 'boils down' to the study of sexual/natural selection and the resulting 'genetic drift' ... which is also accepted as a fact by Creation Scientists... then, once again we have no disagreement!!!

....now WHAT were the past 1200 plus pages all about ... IF Evolutionists have given up on 'evolution' as an 'origins' explanation!!!

Good, now the actual discussion can begin. There is evidence for natural abiogenesis. We have only recently developed the theory and the experimental methodology to begin to scratch the surface of this exciting scientific field. But it exists nevertheless, in all its exciting natural glory.

(Wikipedia Article)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

(References from the wiki page, for your convenience)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis#References

(A general description of abiogenesis)
    http://www.bio-medicine.org/biology-definition/Abiogenesis/

(A journal on theoretical biology)
    http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622904/description#description

(If you don't read any other link, read this one)
    http://student.science.uva.nl/~jckastel/html/abiogenesis.pdf

wolfsbane wrote: »

Both evolutionists and creationists believe "organisms change over generations". You choose to call that evolution, we choose to call it diversification.

Your whole theory says this 'evolution' continues beyond the limits we see today and involves billions of years of INCREASING complexity, we are happy to denote your all-encompassing version as evolution, and oppose it to our version which we can call diversification.

I hope that helps.

If not, let me then claim "organisms change over generations" as part of Creationism, so that you must accept Creationism if you hold that "organisms change over generations". That's how silly your present argument is.

Evolution from a very simple organism (Unicellular) to a more complex organism (multicellular) did not happen.

Since you say all these could be true and evolution too, it seems "organisms change over generations" is the only thing that defines evolution in your mind.

If that is so, we welcome you, brother Creationist. :) Those are the key concepts of Creationism.

The problem is you suppose that there invisible genetic barriers which make evolution from a common ancestor impossible. There has never been evidence provided for such a hypothesis, and various molecular biology research papers support common ancestry.

[edit to add]- You have been corrected on the claim about information before. Molecular information increases with evolution. Specified complexity doesn't, but specified complexity is irrelevant.

monosharp said:
    Quote:
    Can you sketch me your alternate evolution?

And you see the problem, I don't know what you are asking me. Are you asking me for an explanation for the origin or life or an explanation for the diversity of life.

They are NOT the same thing.
    I was not asking you about the origin of life. I queried your claim, asking, Evolution could be true even if higher forms of life did not gradually arise out of lower forms??? and followed it with Can you sketch me your alternate evolution?

Let me phrase it simply:
    Please sketch me an evolution in which higher forms of life did not gradually arise out of lower forms.

Morbert wrote: »
    The problem is you suppose that there invisible genetic barriers which make evolution from a common ancestor impossible. There has never been evidence provided for such a hypothesis, and various molecular biology research papers support common ancestry.

[edit to add]- You have been corrected on the claim about information before. Molecular information increases with evolution. Specified complexity doesn't, but specified complexity is irrelevant.
    I'll follow up your asides later, but please stick to the subject for now. You said that without common ancestry evolution would still be true. I then asked if that which creationists and evolutionists both agree on - "organisms change over generations"- is your essential definition of evolution.

If it is, then we cannot debate evolution, as we both agree on it. I have pointed out, however, that the debate is about the nature and extent of the change, not change itself. You have been holding out for it being change itself.

• Advertisement

Malty_T wrote: »
    Well if that's what you call creationist, I guess so.
    OK, you've hooked me. :)

You do not believe the biosphere evolved from a unicellular ancestor? Or just the human part?

I'll follow up your asides later, but please stick to the subject for now. You said that without common ancestry evolution would still be true.

No I didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Morbert wrote: »
    Well no offence but if a parody makes a reasonable point then I'll parody. I won't break any of the rules, but I won't have my posting style dictated either.

The job of the mods is to keep the discussion flowing and to nip behaviour in the bud that causes disruption. Fanny Cradock has, quite reasonably, requested that you desist from a style of posting that appears to him (and to me) to be likely to further inflame a thread which is already pushing the boundaries. Your inthread rejection of his guidance is straying into the area of backseat modding which is against the rules - and those rules apply to you just as much as to anyone else.

I am suggesting that you take a deep breath, count to ten, and avoid the temptation to be confrontational about this. Cooperating with the moderators when they are genuinely trying to do their job is likely to be less stressful for all concerned than confrontation.

PDN wrote: »
    The job of the mods is to keep the discussion flowing and to nip behaviour in the bud that causes disruption. Fanny Cradock has, quite reasonably, requested that you desist from a style of posting that appears to him (and to me) to be likely to further inflame a thread which is already pushing the boundaries. Your inthread rejection of his guidance is straying into the area of backseat modding which is against the rules - and those rules apply to you just as much as to anyone else.

I am suggesting that you take a deep breath, count to ten, and avoid the temptation to be confrontational about this. Cooperating with the moderators when they are genuinely trying to do their job is likely to be less stressful for all concerned than confrontation.

I'll resolve this over a private message then.

...this is all the CONTROVERSAL 'origins' stuff that has no evidence for it's existence...so IF you are saying that 'evolution' doesn't include (or at least doesn't need) these defunct ideas ... then I have no scientific issues with you ... and neither does any other Creation Scientist

Does Evolution require a common ancestor for all life ? No

So even if life came about from two separate gene pools 1000 miles apartand produced two early but different forms of life which were the ancestors of all life on the planet you have no problem with it.

Thats good to know.

Does Evolution require an explanation for the origin of life ? No

It is not part of Evolution, never was.

Evolution requires life started, it doesn't care how. god or harry potter magicked simple organisms into existence which evolved into us all or it happened naturally. It makes no difference to Evolution.

it makes a huge difference to Abiogenesis which I also accept and will also debate you on. But I will not call it something it is not.

Abiogenesis is about the origin of life, Evolution is about the diversity of that life once it came about.

Nope. Maybe multicellular organisms just 'popped' into existence one Friday night and they evolved into all life today.

Makes no (or very little) difference to Evolution as it stands today.

Yes it is, you won't accept the fact that we share a common ancestor with chimpanzees, you won't accept the fact that species have evolved from other species, you won't accept the fact that life has come about from billions of years of evolution.

I said Evolution did not 'require' those things above, I did not say they are not true. We have mountains of evidence for all of the above three things.

I was trying to make the point that you don't understand Evolution and you don't, that You don't understand abiogenesis and you don't, that you don't even understand the basic definition of evolution and you don't.

We have mountains of evidence for common ancestry for all life, we have mountains of evidence for simple organisms evolving into more complex organisms and we have a great deal of evidence for abiogenesis, nowhere even close to what we have for Evolution but not at all bad.

You can call it whatever you like, it doesn't change the fact your wrong, I choose to use scientific terminology which 99% of scientists in the world use.

You could call a 'Rose' a 'god snot' it just makes you look stupid.
    Your whole theory says this 'evolution' continues beyond the limits we see today

Because there is absolutely no evidence and no reason to suggest there is a limit. There are mountains of evidence to say there is no limit.

I'm not arguing about you accepting anything, I am arguing with JC to use the correct terminology for things and show some respect to the scientific community. Evolution is NOT abiogenesis, JC consistently claims that by disproving what he seems to think is abiogenesis would disprove Evolution when it would not.

Oh really ? So you would accept 2 common ancestors (2 separate gene pools) for all life except for human beings on this planet ? So 50% of life shares a common ancestor with each other.

monosharp said:

I was not asking you about the origin of life. I queried your claim, asking, Evolution could be true even if higher forms of life did not gradually arise out of lower forms??? and followed it with Can you sketch me your alternate evolution?

Let me phrase it simply:
    Please sketch me an evolution in which higher forms of life did not gradually arise out of lower forms.

Nicely read wolfsbane, nowhere did I say that.

I was very specific and said 'unicellular' to 'multicellular', I did not say lower to higher.

And the points I was making were that IF you disproved these things it wouldn't disprove evolution, I did not say they were not true.

wolfsbane wrote:
    I'll follow up your asides later, but please stick to the subject for now. You said that without common ancestry evolution would still be true.

No it wasn't him it was me and thats not what I said.

I said without a common ancestor for 'ALL' life evolution would still be true.

Maybe life evolved from 2 separate gene pools so 50% of life from gene pool A are related to each other and the other 50% of life from gene pool B to each other.

....the thread is starting to take off again, because the Evolutionists have 'dusted themselves down' ... and they have regrouped to defend their invalid 'origins' explanations!!!!!

• Advertisement

....the thread is starting to take off again, because the Evolutionists have 'dusted themselves down' ... and they have regrouped to defend their invalid 'origins' explanations!!!!!

JC, your probably missed this in all the commotion, but can I ask you to give your answer on this..
    JC,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement