Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I read it. He's comparing the sequence of words {A, IS, IT, LIKE, WEASEL, METHINKS} with the sentence "METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL". They are not the same thing. The correct set to compare with is {A, IS, IT, LIKE, WEASEL, METHINKS, _, _, _, _, _} where each underscore represents a space. And you can say CSI=Quality ... SIT=Quantity all you want, the fact remains that Dembski tried to show that "the bits of information far exceed the complexity of any item in the set" but he forgot (or deliberately left out) the spaces in his comparison.
    ....here is the page:-
    http://books.google.com/books?id=qCDp8MjkkLQC&pg=PA166&lpg=PA166&dq=%22the+complexity+of+methinks+is+bounded%22&source=bl&ots=3WQP8fd1rN&sig=RL25iPnxYNOD8cQvvffsqPh93qc&hl=en&ei=Kt0WS8TQI56ZjAfDvbyGBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22the%20complexity%20of%20methinks%20is%20bounded%22&f=false

Prof Dembski was comparing the sum of the individual probabilities of the individual words and the 5 spaces in {A, IS, IT, LIKE, WEASEL, METHINKS, _, _, _, _, _} which is 1:2.828x10^11 (or roughly -Log2 1/27^8) ...
    ... with the entire sequence of 23 letters and the 5 spaces in "METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL" which is 1:1.197x10^40 or -Log2 1/27^28.

He is comparing the CSI in both the aggregate of each meaningful word and the 5 spaces (2.828x10^11) with the complete meaningful sentence(1.197x10^40) !!!!

The 5 spaces makes his point even more dramatic (by increasing the CSI from -Log2 1/27^23 to -Log2 1/27^28) ... so WHY would he leave the spaces out???

... so Prof Dembski didn't forget (or deliberately leave out) the 5 spaces in his comparison.!!!!:D

Why do Evolutionists have such a problem with (relatively straightforward) maths???
    And in fairness J C, as someone who after 4 years is still trying to lump abiogenesis with evolution having been corrected hundreds of times you can't talk about closed-mindedness, not to mention the fact that you just brushed off four books in relation to evolution and information with the same throwaway remark
    ...I don't hypocritically claim to have an open mind ... about the truth (in the Bible).
    ... but I do have an open mind about scientific matters, including ID and Evolution!!!!

...You don't seem to have an open mind about anything !!!...neither the truth in the Bible nor ID (which you reject out of hand) ... nor Evolution (which you accept without question)!!!

I keep up to date with the latest papers and books on Evolution and ID as well as Creation Science ... while you reject ID books out of hand without EVER reading them!!!

...and after that needless diversion into the brilliant work of Prof Dembski ... which I have now comprehensively dealt with ... has anybody any comment of their own on my original posting in relation to the irreducible complexity of biochemical cascades ... and the fact that this invalidates Materialistic accounts of Evolution??
    wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    Biochemical cascades are found throughout living organisms peforming life-critical closely co-ordinated functions with other equally life-critical cascades. Some of these cascades involve hundreds of different molecules ... and it is observed that removing even one molecule or having a molecule in the 'wrong' place in the cascade destroys or severely compromises the function of the cascade, thereby resulting in the death of the organism !!

To take a simple example, let us look at a life-critical cascade consisting of just four molecules (A, B, C and D). It is observed that if A or B or C or D is individually removed then the other three molecules are incapable of maintaining the cascade - and the organism dies ... so please tell me HOW this life-critical cascade could be formed in a step by step fashion if A, B & C - or any other permutation of three of the four molecules is non-functional thereby ALWAYS resulting in the death of the organism?

...Natural Selection can only select when there is something 'useful' to select ... and non-intelligently created processes (like random mutations) are INCAPABLE of producing any 'useful' trait, for NS to select...
    ....because the useless 'combinatorial space' is effectively infinite for even relatively small molecular combinations ... and the functional 'combinatorial space' is observed to often only be one combnation!!!

...and if you are arguing that A, B, C & D can 'safely' develop in the background, by trial and error, because the life-critical function is already carried out by F, G, H & I - this begs the question as to how the F, G, H & I life-critical cascade developed in the first place.
    ...equally NS cannot 'favour' organisms developing the A, B, C & D cascade because its development would be 'masked' by the already functional F, G, H & I cascade ... and it also has no functionality until A, B, C & D are all present ... so developing it can ONLY be by pure chance ... with no 'help' from NS!!!!
    ...and developing it is therefore an 'all or nothing event' with the added problem, that even when it is developed, it may confer no advantage because it is eclipsed by an equivalent life-critical function already being provided by F,G H & I.

Direct Creation can provide such luxuries and redundancies ... but 'blind chance' cannot do so because the useless 'combinatorial space' is effectively infinite and it will therefore overwhelm any non-intelligently directed process.

... so how did irreducibly complex biochemical cascades come about...if not by Direct Creation?

wrote:
    Wolfsbane
    Good to see that in my absence JC is still applying the rod of correction.
    ...I only bother because I am concerned about their eternal Salvation.

Materialistic Evolution 'origins' research is up to 20 years behind 'cutting edge' ID research ... yet the Materialists (and some of their Theistic 'buddies') seem to doggedly want to remain uninformed ... so maybe they should be left to stew in their denial!!!!:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

J C wrote: »
    ....here is the page:-
    http://books.google.com/books?id=qCDp8MjkkLQC&pg=PA166&lpg=PA166&dq=%22the+complexity+of+methinks+is+bounded%22&source=bl&ots=3WQP8fd1rN&sig=RL25iPnxYNOD8cQvvffsqPh93qc&hl=en&ei=Kt0WS8TQI56ZjAfDvbyGBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22the%20complexity%20of%20methinks%20is%20bounded%22&f=false

Prof Dembski was comparing the sum of the individual probabilities of the individual words and the 5 spaces in {A, IS, IT, LIKE, WEASEL, METHINKS, _, _, _, _, _} which is 1:2.828x10^11 (or roughly -Log2 1/27^8) ...
    ... with the entire sequence of 23 letters and the 5 spaces in "METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL" which is 1:1.197x10^40 or -Log2 1/27^28.

He is comparing the CSI in both the aggregate of each meaningful word and the 5 spaces (2.828x10^11) with the complete meaningful sentence(1.197x10^40) !!!!

The 5 spaces makes his point even more dramatic (by increasing the CSI from -Log2 1/27^23 to -Log2 1/27^28) ... so WHY would he leave the spaces out???

... so Prof Dembski didn't forget (or deliberately leave out) the 5 spaces in his comparison.!!!!:D

Why do Evolutionists have such a problem with (relatively straightforward) maths???
    What are you talking about :confused:

The figure of -Log2 1/27^8 is for the word "METHINKS", not the entire aggregate. The ^8 refers to the 8 letters in the word and the ^28 in -Log2 1/27^28 refers to the 28 letters in the whole sentence.

Exactly what he says is: This sentence not only includes all the items of information that appear in the aggregate, but also arranges them in a grammatical sentence with semantic content. Unlike the aggregate, for which only the individual words are specified, here the entire sentence is a sequence of 28 letters and spaces, its complexity is bounded by -log2 1/27^28 = 133 bits of information and far exceeds the complexity of any item in the set or for that matter the sum of the complexities of all items in the set

Firstly it seems pointless to say that the complexity of the sentence exceeds "any item in the set". It doesn't take a genius to know that a 28 letter sentence is more complex than a word but he also says that it also exceeds the sum of the complexities all of items in the set at 133 bits. But watch this:

A:-Log2 1/27^1 = 4.75488
    Total: 4.75488
    S:-Log2 1/27^2 = 9.509775
    Total:14.264655
    IT:-Log2 1/27^2 = 9.509775
    Total:23.77443
    LIKE:-Log2 1/27^4 = 19.0195
    Total:42.79393
    WEASEL:-Log2 1/27^6 = 28.529325
    Total:71.323255
    METHINKS:-Log2 1/27^8 = 38.0391
    total:109.362355 <
    He stops here
    _:-Log2 1/27^1 = 4.75488
    Total:114.117235
    Total:118.872115
    Total:123.626995
    Total:128.381875
    Total:133.136755

Well would you look at that :eek:
    The sum of the complexities of the individual parts exactly matches the complexity of the sentence when you remember to include the spaces.
    ...I don't hypocritically claim to have an open mind ... about the truth (in the Bible).
    ... but I do have an open mind about scientific matters, including ID and Evolution!!!!

...You don't seem to have an open mind about anything !!!...neither the truth in the Bible nor ID (which you reject out of hand) ... nor Evolution (which you accept without question)!!!
    J C, again, rejecting something out of hand is not giving it a chance. You've had ample opportunity to convince me but all you've done is dodge issues, declare evolution to be debunked, dump pseudoscience on us occasionally, declare that the whole world is biased against you and refused to provide a shred of evidence and generally make creationism look exactly as ridiculous as I thought it was in the first place. Creationism has had far more than a fair chance and it has failed at every turn. Because it's nonsense

What are you talking about :confused:

The figure of -Log2 1/27^8 is for the word "METHINKS", not the entire aggregate. The ^8 refers to the 8 letters in the word and the ^28 in -Log2 1/27^28 refers to the 28 letters in the whole sentence.

Exactly what he says is: This sentence not only includes all the items of information that appear in the aggregate, but also arranges them in a grammatical sentence with semantic content. Unlike the aggregate, for which only the individual words are specified, here the entire sentence is a sequence of 28 letters and spaces, its complexity is bounded by -log2 1/27^28 = 133 bits of information and far exceeds the complexity of any item in the set or for that matter the sum of the complexities of all items in the set

Firstly it seems pointless to say that the complexity of the sentence exceeds "any item in the set". It doesn't take a genius to know that a 28 letter sentence is more complex than a word but he also says that it also exceeds the sum of the complexities all of items in the set at 133 bits.
    ...the point Prof Dembski is making is that increasing the number of characters increases the CSI exponentially ... while SIT only increases linearly ... and that is WHY spontaneous increases in CSI are impossible!!!

But watch this:

A:1/27^1 = 4.75488
    Total: 4.75488
    S:-Log2 1/27^2 = 9.509775
    Total:14.264655
    IT:-Log2 1/27^2 = 9.509775
    Total:23.77443
    LIKE:-Log2 1/27^4 = 19.0195
    Total:42.79393
    WEASEL:-Log2 1/27^6 = 28.529325
    Total:71.323255
    METHINKS:-Log2 1/27^8 = 38.0391
    total:109.362355 <
    He stops here
    Total:114.117235
    Total:118.872115
    Total:123.626995
    Total:128.381875
    Total:133.136755

Well would you look at that :eek:
    The sum of the complexities of the individual parts exactly matches the complexity of the sentence when you remember to include the spaces.
    ...the above is the calculation (133.136) measures the CSI in the entire meaningful sentence (including the 5 spaces) ...
    ...the aggregate of each meaningful word (and the 5 spaces) is only 1:2.828x10^11 and its -Log2 is 38.041 ... which isn't significantly different from the -Log2 for the CSI in the word METHINKS (which is 2.824x10^11 or 38.039)
    The aggregate is worked out as follows:-
    A:- 1/27^1 = 1:27

IS:- 1/27^2 = 1:729

IT:- 1/27^2 = 1:729

LIKE:- 1/27^4 = 1:531,441

WEASEL:- 1/27^6 = 1:3.87x10^8

METHINKS:- 1/27^8 = 1:2.824x10^11

5 individual spaces:- 1/27x5= 1:135

If you add up all of the above figures it comes to precisely 1:2.82817x10^11 or -Log2 of 38.04108039 ... which isn't significantly different from the word METHINKS on its own with -Log2 of 38.0391

...so the the CSI in the complete meaningful sentence is vastly greater (by 29 orders of magnitude) than the sum of the CSI in its individual parts (i.e. the sum of the CSI in its individual words and spaces)!!!:D
    J C, again, rejecting something out of hand is not giving it a chance. You've had ample opportunity to convince me but all you've done is dodge issues, declare evolution to be debunked, dump pseudoscience on us occasionally, declare that the whole world is biased against you and refused to provide a shred of evidence and generally make creationism look exactly as ridiculous as I thought it was in the first place. Creationism has had far more than a fair chance and it has failed at every turn. Because it's nonsense
    ...ID is real ... and everyone knows intuitively that CSI cannot be produced spontaneously... and the maths have now been developed to PROVE that this is TRUE!!!

...and while the Materialists keep 'jousting at windmills' on the issue of CSI & ID ... other people are getting on with the science ... and they have mathematically PROVEN that CSI & ID have an abiotic exogenous source!!!
    ... and could I point out that the abiotic infusion of exogenous information is the great unanswered question confronting modern evolutionary biology ... and it won't go away ... and it wont be 'fobbed off' with ruses like claiming that Evolution and Abiogenesis are different things (even though they may well be - the abiotic infusion of exogenous CSI demands an answer).

...so before you close your mind ... could I respectfully suggest that you open it!!!!:D

...the point Prof Dembski is making is that increasing the number of characters increases the CSI exponentially ... while SIT only increases linearly ... and that is WHY spontaneous increases in CSI are impossible!!!
    The point Dembski was trying to make was that the sum of the complexities of each of the individual words did not match the 133 bits of information contained in the complexity of the sentence but he forgot to include the spaces
    ...the above is the calculation (133.136) measures the CSI in the entire meaningful sentence (including the 5 spaces) ...
    Of course it is because the sum of the complexities of each word and the 5 spaces exactly matches the complexity of the sentence, contrary to what Dembski said
    ...the aggregate of each meaningful word (and the 5 spaces) is only 1:2.828x10^11 and its -Log2 is 38.041 ... which isn't significantly different from the -Log2 for the CSI in the word METHINKS (which is 2.824x10^11 or 38.039)
    The aggregate is worked out as follows:-
    A:- 1/27^1 = 1:27

IS:- 1/27^2 = 1:729

IT:- 1/27^2 = 1:729

LIKE:- 1/27^4 = 1:531,441

WEASEL:- 1/27^6 = 1:3.87x10^8

METHINKS:- 1/27^8 = 1:2.824x10^11

5 individual spaces:- 1/27x5= 1:135

If you add up all of the above figures it comes to precisely 1:2.82817x10^11 or -Log2 of 38.04108039 ... which isn't significantly different from the word METHINKS on its own with -Log2 of 38.0391

...so the the CSI in the complete meaningful sentence is vastly greater (by 29 orders of magnitude) than the sum of the CSI in its individual parts (i.e. the sum of the CSI in its individual words and spaces)!!!:D
    J C, what the **** are you talking about?
    What are those colons supposed to be, ratios, probabilities?
    Why are you adding up the powers of 27 and then taking the -log2 of the sum? What is this supposed to accomplish? Are you adding probabilities or something? Why?
    What does "aggregate of each meaningful word" mean? We're supposed to be calculating "aggregate of the complexities of each meaningful word" to show that "the complexity [of the sentence] far exceeds the sum of the complexities of all items in the set". According to Dembski the complexity of an item is calculated as -log2 1/27^(number of letters in the word) so I am calculating the complexity of each item in the set, summing them and getting exactly the complexity of the sentence, as expected. But that's not what you're doing. I have no idea what you're doing. My best guess is that instead of summing -log2 1/27^(number of letters in the word), you're converting 1/27 to a probability of 1 in 27 represented by 1:27, then summing the probabilities for some reason and then getting the log2 of the sum. We're not supposed to be summing probabilities here, we're summing "the complexities of all items in the set" and finding that, contrary to what Dembski said it is exactly the same as the complexity of the sentence because we remembered to include the spaces in both the set and the sentence, where he only put them in the sentence.

You keep calling me closed-minded but I'm only closed-minded if your definition of the term is: "Able to spot the errors in my reasoning and unwilling to uncritically accept my nonsense as fact". There's a difference between open-mindedness and gullibility
    ... and could I point out that the abiotic infusion of exogenous information is the great unanswered question confronting modern evolutionary biology ... and it won't go away ... and it wont be 'fobbed off' with ruses like claiming that Evolution and Abiogenesis are different things (even though they may well be - the abiotic infusion of exogenous CSI demands an answer).

I think that if you say that 27 more times it might become true, although it might take up to 34. I suppose I'll again point out that the "abiotic infusion of exogenous information" is a question confronting science in general but is no more a question for evolutionary biology that it is for astrophysics. They're separate disciplines

But something that indeed won't go away is the fact that RNA, a molecule from which the most simple self-replicating structures are made, was created in a lab a few months ago:
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/ribonucleotides/

We're well on the way to answering that question ;)

• Advertisement

What are those colons supposed to be, ratios, probabilities?
    Why are you adding up the powers of 27 and then taking the -log2 of the sum?
    They are the CSI probabilities expressed in scientific Notation and as Logs to the base 2 (which is used to measure virtual information)
    What does "aggregate of each meaningful word" mean? We're supposed to be calculating "aggregate of the complexities of each meaningful word" to show that "the complexity [of the sentence] far exceeds the sum of the complexities of all items in the set".
    ...the complexity (CSI) of the sentence [1:1.197x10^40 or a -Log2 of 133.1369] far exceeds (by 29 orders of magnitude) the sum of the complexities of all of the individual items in the set[1:2.82817x10^11 or a -Log2 of 38.04108039].

According to Dembski the complexity of an item is calculated as -log2 1/27^(number of letters in the word) so I am calculating the complexity of each item in the set, summing them and getting exactly the complexity of the sentence, as expected. But that's not what you're doing. I have no idea what you're doing. My best guess is that instead of summing -log2 1/27^(number of letters in the word), you're converting 1/27 to a probability of 1 in 27 represented by 1:27, then summing the probabilities for some reason and then getting the log2 of the sum. We're not supposed to be summing probabilities here, we're summing "the complexities of all items in the set" and finding that, contrary to what Dembski said it is exactly the same as the complexity of the sentence because we remembered to include the spaces in both the set and the sentence, where he only put them in the sentence.
    ...if you add Logs you are multiplying the numbers ... so it is correct to sum the Logs of the individual items to get the total CSI in the complete sentence.
    However, it is not correct to add the Logs in order to add up the individual CSI levels in each individual item in the sentence ... for that you must convert each CSI measure to Scientific Notation (or ordinary numbers) and add them up ... and then, if you wish, you can convert the answer to a Log figure.
    That was the mistake made in the 'review' that you quoted from originally.

You keep calling me closed-minded but I'm only closed-minded if your definition of the term is: "Able to spot the errors in my reasoning and unwilling to uncritically accept my nonsense as fact". There's a difference between open-mindedness and gullibility
    ...I was being a little harsh with you, and for this I apologise. Some of my best friends are Evolutionists, and I have the height of respect for their scientific abilities and they are also 'great crack'!!!!
    ....BUT they do seem to have a 'blind spot' when it come to ID and Creation Science ... and it reflects a closed mind ... rather than true skepticism on this issue.
    I have been an Evolutionist myself ... and I still have an active interest in all things Evolutionist. This gives me a balanced perspective on the 'origins issue' .... and I have to say, after much reflection on the subject, that Materialistic Evolution is a load of baloney!!!:D
    I suppose I'll again point out that the "abiotic infusion of exogenous information" is a question confronting science in general but is no more a question for evolutionary biology that it is for astrophysics. They're separate disciplines
    ...the abiotic infusion problem ... exists all along the supposed continuum from Abiogenesis to Man.

But something that indeed won't go away is the fact that RNA, a molecule from which the most simple self-replicating structures are made, was created in a lab a few months ago:
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/ribonucleotides/

We're well on the way to answering that question ;)
    ....dream on!!!
    ...and could I point out that this development used inordinate levels of human intelligence and ingenuity!!!
    ...and could I also gently remind you, that RNA is merely the information carrier ... and it isn't the information itself!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

...if you add Logs you are multipying the numbers ... so it is correct to sum the Logs of the individual items to get the total CSI in the complete sentence.
    However, it is not correct to add the Logs in order to add up the individual CSI levels in each individual item in the sentence ... for that you must convert each CSI measure to Scientific Notation (or ordinary numbers) and add them up ... and then, if you wish, you can convert the answer to a Log figure.
    That was the misteke made in the 'review' that you quoted from originally.

questionmark.jpg
    My head does not follow...:confused:

Malty_T wrote: »
    questionmark.jpg
    My head does not follow...:confused:
    ...please talk to a mathematician.

...where is Robin, when you need him????

They are the CSI probabilities expressed in scientific Notation and as Logs to the base 2 (which is used to measure virtual information)
    I don't think you know what scientific notation is. It's just a way of writing a number to make it easier to work with, as in instead of writing 1,000,000,000,000,000 you write 1x10^15. YOu seem to think scientific notation means change 1/27 to 1:27 and then ignore the 1: part. That's not scientific notation, that's nonsense.

The figure "1:27" is not in scientific notation. Nor is it a log to the base 2, which would simply be a number and not a probability and it certainly wouldn't contain a : symbol.
    ...the complexity (CSI) of the sentence [1:1.197x10^40 or a -Log2 of 133.1369] far exceeds (by 29 orders of magnitude) the sum of the complexities of all of the individual items in the set[1:2.82817x10^11 or a -Log2 of 38.04108039].
    You did not sum the complexities of the individual items, you calculated "the sum of the individual probabilities of the individual words". The complexity according to Dembski is taken as -log2 1/27^(number of letters in the word), it is not the same as the sum of the probabilities of the occurrence of each letter. And not only are you summing the wrong thing by summing the probabilities instead of the complexities but you've done it wrong. Your maths goes:

-log2(1/27 + 1/729 + 1/729 + 1/531,441 + 1/3.87x10^8 + 1/2.824x10^11 + (1/27)x5) =
    -log2(1:27 + 1:729 + 1:729 + 1:531,441 + 1:3.87x10^8 + 1:2.824x10^11 + (1:27)x5) = <---Nonsense line
    -log2(27 + 729 + 729 + 531,441 + 3.87x10^8 + 2.824x10^11 + 27x5) =
    -log2(2.82817x10^11) = 38.041

But that is not mathematically correct. As far as I can see the only purpose of the ':' is so you can you can invert the figures before adding them and hope no one notices

The correct way to calculate it is:

-log2(1/27) -log2(1/729) - log2(1/729) - log2(1/531,441) - log2(1/3.87x10^8) - log2(1/2.824x10^11) - log2(1/27)x5 = 133.136

Exactly as you would expect, the complexity of the sentence exactly matches the complexity of the component parts and Dembski is talking nonsense and you're talking even more nonsense. You are calculating the complexity of the sum of the inverse of the probabilitiy of occurrence of each letter in each word. You are not, as Dembski said, calculating "the sum of the complexities of all items in the set". That's what I'm doing and I'm getting a different answer to him because I'm not forgetting the spaces
    ...I was being a little harsh with you, and for this I apologise.
    All is forgiven ;)
    ....dream on!!!
    ...and could I point out that this development used inordinate levels of human intelligence and ingenuity!!!
    I saw a few people make that point in the comments and I thought it was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. What the experiment showed is that the production fo self-replicating molecules is possible, ie it doesn't require a miracle. The fact that intelligence was used to make the chemical reaction happen is completely irrelevant, it's like saying that because human beings intelligently designed freezers that it's impossible for the temperature to drop below zero without intelligent guidance. The scientists created the necessary conditions and the reaction happened. What that means is that all that is required is for those or similar conditions to have occurred some time in the past few billion years and hey presto, life.

...and could I also gently remind you, that RNA is merely the information carrier ... and it isn't the information itself!!!

Yes you can but since your understanding of the word information comes from the nonsense idea of CSI I don't really see it as relevant. The RNA isn't the banana hammock either. Look, I can make up nonsense terms too!

• Advertisement

I don't think you know what scientific notation is. It's just a way of writing a number to make it easier to work with, as in instead of writing 1,000,000,000,000,000 you write 1x10^15. YOu seem to think scientific notation means change 1/27 to 1:27 and then ignore the 1: part. That's not scientific notation, that's nonsense.

The figure "1:27" is not in scientific notation. Nor is it a log to the base 2, which would simply be a number and not a probability and it certainly wouldn't contain a : symbol.
    ...come on Sam!!!
    ...of course I know what scientific notation is!!!!
    ...you're destroying your credability with this time wasting and invalid unfounded nit picking!!!!!

You did not sum the complexities of the individual items, you calculated "the sum of the individual probabilities of the individual words". The complexity according to Dembski is taken as -log2 1/27^(number of letters in the word), it is not the same as the sum of the probabilities of the occurrence of each letter. And not only are you summing the wrong thing by summing the probabilities instead of the complexities but you've done it wrong. Your maths goes:

-log2(1/27 + 1/729 + 1/729 + 1/531,441 + 1/3.87x10^8 + 1/2.824x10^11 + (1/27)x5) =
    -log2(1:27 + 1:729 + 1:729 + 1:531,441 + 1:3.87x10^8 + 1:2.824x10^11 + (1:27)x5) = <---Nonsense line
    -log2(27 + 729 + 729 + 531,441 + 3.87x10^8 + 2.824x10^11 + 27x5) =
    -log2(2.82817x10^11) = 38.041

But that is not mathematically correct. As far as I can see the only purpose of the ':' is so you can you can invert the figures before adding them and hope no one notices

The correct way to calculate it is:

-log2(1/27) -log2(1/729) - log2(1/729) - log2(1/531,441) - log2(1/3.87x10^8) - log2(1/2.824x10^11) - log2(1/27)x5 = 133.136

Exactly as you would expect, the complexity of the sentence exactly matches the complexity of the component parts and Dembski is talking nonsense and you're talking even more nonsense. You are calculating the complexity of the sum of the inverse of the probabilitiy of occurrence of each letter in each word. You are not, as Dembski said, calculating "the sum of the complexities of all items in the set". That's what I'm doing and I'm getting a different answer to him because I'm not forgetting the spaces
    ...what I was calculating was the CSI ... the Complex Specified Information in the total sentence and the sum of the Complex Specified Information in each of the individual parts of the sentence (i.e. its individual words and spaces)...and there are 29 orders of magnitude in the difference!!!
    ...and that is the point that Prof Dembski is also making .... and it mathematically proves that Complex Specified Systems such as those found in living organisms cannot arise in a stepwise or spontaneous fashion!!!

I saw a few people make that point in the comments and I thought it was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. What the experiment showed is that the production fo self-replicating molecules is possible, ie it doesn't require a miracle. The fact that intelligence was used to make the chemical reaction happen is completely irrelevant, it's like saying that because human beings intelligently designed freezers that it's impossible for the temperature to drop below zero without intelligent guidance. The scientists created the necessary conditions and the reaction happened. What that means is that all that is required is for those or similar conditions to have occurred some time in the past few billion years and hey presto, life.
    ...it proves that an enormous input of intelligence is required to initially produce RNA ... which is only an information carrier...
    ...the actual genetic information would require an infinite intelligence to produce it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

...come on Sam!!!
    ...you're destroying your credability with this time wasting and invalid unfounded nit picking!!!!!

LMAO :rolleyes:

Says the guy who doesn't understand the most basic of mathematical principles and has shown as such time and time again.

Absolutely priceless.

...come on Sam!!!
    You said that 1:27 is scientific notation. It is not scientific notation. I'm not nit picking, you're trying to use sciency sounding terms to make it look like you're not talking nonsense but you're failing.
    ...what I was calculating was the CSI ... the Complex Specified Information in the total sentence and the sum of the Complex Specified Information in each of the individual parts of the sentence (i.e. its individual words and spaces)...and there are 29 orders of magnitude in the difference!!!
    ...and that is the point that Prof Dembski is also making .... and it mathematically proves that Complex Specified Systems such as those found in living organisms cannot arise in a stepwise or spontaneous fashion!!!

Right, let's take this in chunks. First you say you are calulating "the Complex Specified Information in the total sentence" which you calculate as:

-log2 (1/27^N)
    Where N is the number of letters in the sentence

Then you say you are calculating "sum of the Complex Specified Information in each of the individual parts of the sentence", which means you should calculate the CSI of each part using the above formula and then sum them. But you calculate the complexity of, for example, the word "IS" as:

-1/27^N = 1:27^N = 27^N

and then sum them. Why is the formula for calculating the complexity of the word completely different to the one for calculating the complexity of the sentence?

What does 1:27 even mean? How are you converting 1/27 to 1:27 to 27? That's not even valid maths!

You are calculating the complexity of the sum of the probabilities, not the sum of the complexities. Each complexity calculation must include a log2, which you are leaving out after you bizarrely convert 1/27 to 27 with no apparent justification
    ...it proves that an enormous input of intelligence is required to initially produce RNA ... which is only an information carrier...
    ...the actual genetic information would require an infinite intelligence to produce it!!!

It proves nothing J C because this idea of CSI is pseudoscience backed up by made up maths

monosharp wrote: »
    LMAO :rolleyes:

Says the guy who doesn't understand the most basic of mathematical principles and has shown as such time and time again.

Absolutely priceless.
    ....where EXACTLY has this been demonstrated on this thread...
    ...another Evolutionist fairytale ... to add to the rest of the Evolutionists' tall-tales!!!

...another Evolutionist fairytale ... to add to the rest of the Evolutionists' tall-tales!!!

In two cases on this page:
    1. Where you said something was in scientific notation when it wasn't
    2. When you magically converted 1/27 to 27 through the use of a made up symbol ':'

You said that 1:27 is scientific notation. It is not scientific notation. I'm not nit picking, you're trying to use sciency sounding terms to make it look like you're not talking nonsense but you're failing.
    ...you're the one talking rubbish ... and nit picking over irrelevancies ...
    ... and 1:27 is 1:2.7x10^1 or 3.70x10^-2 in scientific notation ... now are you happy ... as you swallow the evolutionist camel and nit-pick over this irrelevancy!!!

Right, let's take this in chunks. First you say you are calulating "the Complex Specified Information in the total sentence" which you calculate as:

-log2 (1/27^N)
    Where N is the number of letters in the sentence

Then you say you are calculating "sum of the Complex Specified Information in each of the individual parts of the sentence", which means you should calculate the CSI of each part using the above formula and then sum them. But you calculate the complexity of, for example, the word "IS" as:

-1/27^N = 1:27^N = 27^N

and then sum them. Why is the formula for calculating the complexity of the word completely different to the one for calculating the complexity of the sentence?

What does 1:27 even mean? How are you converting 1/27 to 1:27 to 27? That's not even valid maths!

You are calculating the complexity of the sum of the probabilities, not the sum of the complexities. Each complexity calculation must include a log2, which you are leaving out after you bizarrely convert 1/27 to 27 with no apparent justification
    CSI is the inverse of the probability of its spontaneous occurrence!!!
    ... a probability of 1:27 has a CSI of 27
    ... and a probability of 1:10^130 has a CSI of 10^130

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C

Sam Vimes
    In two cases on this page:
    1. Where you said something was in scientific notation when it wasn't
    2. When you magically converted 1/27 to 27 through the use of a made up symbol ':'
    1. I was talking about the scientific notation used to express the larger numbers in the series.

2. Once again I was talking about the inverse fractions of the larger numbers in the series that were expressed in scientific notation.

....when it comes to 'sweating the small stuff' ... you guys 'take the biscuit'!!!!!!!

...and I even said that scientific notation and ordinary numbers were being used
    J C wrote:

...and after that needless and irrelevant diversion ... which I have now comprehensively dealt with ... has anybody any comment on my original posting in relation to the irreducible complexity of biochemical cascades ... and the fact that this invalidates Materialistic accounts of Evolution??

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    Biochemical cascades are found throughout living organisms peforming life-critical closely co-ordinated functions with other equally life-critical cascades. Some of these cascades involve hundreds of different molecules ... and it is observed that removing even one molecule or having a molecule in the 'wrong' place in the cascade destroys or severely compromises the function of the cascade, thereby resulting in the death of the organism !!

To take a simple example, let us look at a life-critical cascade consisting of just four molecules (A, B, C and D). It is observed that if A or B or C or D is individually removed then the other three molecules are incapable of maintaining the cascade - and the organism dies ... so please tell me HOW this life-critical cascade could be formed in a step by step fashion if A, B & C - or any other permutation of three of the four molecules is non-functional thereby ALWAYS resulting in the death of the organism?

...Natural Selection can only select when there is something 'useful' to select ... and non-intelligently created processes (like random mutations) are INCAPABLE of producing any 'useful' trait, for NS to select...
    ....because the useless 'combinatorial space' is effectively infinite for even relatively small molecular combinations ... and the functional 'combinatorial space' is observed to often only be one combnation!!!

...and if you are arguing that A, B, C & D can 'safely' develop in the background, by trial and error, because the life-critical function is already carried out by F, G, H & I - this begs the question as to how the F, G, H & I life-critical cascade developed in the first place.
    ...equally NS cannot 'favour' organisms developing the A, B, C & D cascade because its development would be 'masked' by the already functional F, G, H & I cascade ... and it also has no functionality until A, B, C & D are all present ... so developing it can ONLY be by pure chance ... with no 'help' from NS!!!!
    ...and developing it is therefore an 'all or nothing event' with the added problem, that even when it is developed, it may confer no advantage because it is eclipsed by an equivalent life-critical function already being provided by F,G H & I.

Direct Creation can provide such luxuries and redundancies ... but 'blind chance' cannot do so because the useless 'combinatorial space' is effectively infinite and it will therefore overwhelm any non-intelligently directed process.

... so how did irreducibly complex biochemical cascades come about...if not by Direct Creation?

1. I was talking about the scientific notation used to express the larger numbers in the series.

2. Once again I was talking about the inverse fractions of the larger numbers in the series that were expressed in scientific notation.

....when it comes to 'sweating the small stuff' ... you guys 'take the biscuit'!!!!!!!

...and I even said that scientific notation and ordinary numbers were being used

What you said was that you must convert to scientific notation. You never "must" convert to scientific notation, it's for convenience only. You were just trying to sound smart while you inverted fractions without explaining what you were doing or why you were doing it.
    CSI is the inverse of the probability of its spontaneous occurrence!!!
    ... a probability of 1:27 has a CSI of 27
    ... and a probability of 1:10^130 has a CSI of 10^130

No, it's not. According to De4mbski on that page and according to the wikipedia page on specified complexity, it's calculated as :
    449390a5afddf5db226de44ec92618a3.png

which is how I've been calculating it. What you're taking as the specified complexity is what wikipedia refers to as the chance hypothesis. To get the CSI of a pattern you must find out its probability and then get -log2 of it. You cannot add up the probabilites and then get -log2 of the sum. That's not the same thing. That's not even what Dembski is doing. He's wrong in what he's doing because he left out the spaces from the set and you're even more wrong.

...and after that needless and irrelevant diversion ... which I have now comprehensively dealt with ... has anybody any comment on my original posting in relation to the irreducible complexity of biochemical cascades ... and the fact that this invalidates Materialistic accounts of Evolution??

It's already been responded to a hundred times. Even if CSI was valid mathematically, which it isn't, it depends entirely on the concept of irreducible complexity which has been shown over and over again to be nonsense.

• Advertisement

J C, what you are trying to show is:
    J C wrote:

Basically you are showing that 1.197x10^40 > 2.82817x10^11.

What we both seem to have lost sight of is that that is not what Dembski is trying to show. I have been attemping to steer you back there by explaining that your calculations are wrong but it hasn't worked thusfar. Hopefully this will.

If you read the page from the book:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=qCDp8MjkkLQC&pg=PA165&lpg=PA165&dq=%22CSI+is+holistic%22&source=bl&ots=3WQP8873qP&sig=_7ppELXeeVGnDO-NfQFX9DqpVYU&hl=en&ei=HrQVS77qE8jOjAea9MymCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=%22CSI%20is%20holistic%22&f=false

What he is trying to show is that "the complexity [of the sentence] is bounded by -log2 1/27^28 = 133 bits of information and far exceeds the complexity of any item in the set or for that matter the sum of the complexities of all items in the set"

He is trying to show is that:
    -log2(1/27^28) > -log2(1/27^8)
    ie:
    133 bits of information > 38 bits of information

That's the "far exceeds the complexity of any item in the set" part, which is undisputed

But he also says "for that matter the sum of the complexities of all items in the set"

So he is trying to show that

-log2(1/27^28) > -log2(1/27) -log2(1/729) - log2(1/729) - log2(1/531,441) - log2(1/3.87x10^8) - log2(1/2.824x10^11)

133 > 109.362355

That inequality also holds but only because his set is: {A, IS, IT, LIKE, WEASEL, METHINKS}

if you inclusde the 5 spaces too the inequality becomes:

-log2(1/27^28) > -log2(1/27) -log2(1/729) - log2(1/729) - log2(1/531,441) - log2(1/3.87x10^8) - log2(1/2.824x10^11) - log2(1/27)x5

133>133 (both rounded down)

And the inequality no longer holds. He just forgot the spaces J C.

It's already been responded to a hundred times. Even if CSI was valid mathematically, which it isn't, it depends entirely on the concept of irreducible complexity which has been shown over and over again to be nonsense.
    ...even when faced with MATHEMATICAL PROOF ... you still deny the truth!!!!
    ...such levels of denial can only be because of a religious commitment to the unfounded and disproven belief that Materialism can explain everything ... when any objective assessment of the Material World patently shows that it didn't have a material origin!!!!

Ro 1:19 ¶ Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
    20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
    21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
    22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
    23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm detecting a pattern here.

"Evolutionist"
    You're wrong here's why....

"Creationist"
    No YOU'RE wrong, here's why...

"Evolutionist"
    I'm sorry that's just wrong.

"Creationist"
    No.....

"Evolution"
    Yep, wrong again here's why..

*Several pages later*

"Evolutionist"
    Still wrong.

"Creationist"
    [Out of arguments]/[Question too difficult to answer]
    Quote bible verse.

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C

Sam Vimes
    Basically you are showing that 1.197x10^40 > 2.82817x10^11.
    ... yes ... but the crucial thing about these figures is what they are measuring ... and that is where you appear to be incorrect ... see my next answer.

wrote:
    Sam Vimes
    What we both seem to have lost sight of is that that is not what Dembski is trying to show. I have been attemping to steer you back there by explaining that your calculations are wrong but it hasn't worked thusfar. Hopefully this will.

If you read the page from the book:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=qCDp8MjkkLQC&pg=PA165&lpg=PA165&dq=%22CSI+is+holistic%22&source=bl&ots=3WQP8873qP&sig=_7ppELXeeVGnDO-NfQFX9DqpVYU&hl=en&ei=HrQVS77qE8jOjAea9MymCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=%22CSI%20is%20holistic%22&f=false

What he is trying to show is that "the complexity [of the sentence] is bounded by -log2 1/27^28 = 133 bits of information and far exceeds the complexity of any item in the set or for that matter the sum of the complexities of all items in the set"

He is trying to show is that:
    -log2(1/27^28) > -log2(1/27^8)
    ie:
    133 bits of information > 38 bits of information

That's the "far exceeds the complexity of any item in the set" part, which is undisputed
    ... agreed.

wrote:
    Sam Vimes
    But he also says "for that matter the sum of the complexities of all items in the set"

So he is trying to show that

-log2(1/27^28) > -log2(1/27) -log2(1/729) - log2(1/729) - log2(1/531,441) - log2(1/3.87x10^8) - log2(1/2.824x10^11)

133 > 109.362355

That inequality also holds but only because his set is: {A, IS, IT, LIKE, WEASEL, METHINKS}

if you inclusde the 5 spaces too the inequality becomes:

-log2(1/27^28) > -log2(1/27) -log2(1/729) - log2(1/729) - log2(1/531,441) - log2(1/3.87x10^8) - log2(1/2.824x10^11) - log2(1/27)x5

133>133 (both rounded down)

And the inequality no longer holds. He just forgot the spaces J C.
    ...he didn't forget the spaces ... you are doing the wrong calculation.
    If you add the above Logs you are multiplying the underlying ordinary numbers that are measuring the CSI of each individual item ... and thereby measuring the CSI in the complete sentence which is 133 bits.
    The correct way to add the individual CSI in each item is to add the underlying ordinary numbers that are measuring the CSI in each individual item and convert the answer to a Log 2 ... which is still approximately 38 bits ... because the CSI in all of the other items/words in the sentence is insignificant in comparison with the 38 bit word METHINKS.

What you said was that you must convert to scientific notation. You never "must" convert to scientific notation, it's for convenience only. You were just trying to sound smart while you inverted fractions without explaining what you were doing or why you were doing it.
    ...of course Scientific Notation, and indeed Logs, are used for convenience...

...but what you appear to not recognise is that when a mathematical operation needs to be performed involving the addition of permutations/CSI, any Log expressions must be converted into ordinary numbers/scientific notation in order to perform the addition.
    If you simply add the logs you are actually multiplying the permutations/CSI of each item, instead of adding them!!!
    You may then leave the answer expressed in scientific notation ... or you may convert it to -Log2 in order to express it as bits of CSI information.

No, it's not. According to De4mbski on that page and according to the wikipedia page on specified complexity, it's calculated as :
    449390a5afddf5db226de44ec92618a3.png

which is how I've been calculating it. What you're taking as the specified complexity is what wikipedia refers to as the chance hypothesis. To get the CSI of a pattern you must find out its probability and then get -log2 of it. .
    ...wiki is correct that in order to get the CSI of a pattern, you must find out its probability and then get -log2 of it.
    ...could I gently remind you that a probability of 1:27 = 1/27 = 1:2.70x10^1 = 3.70x10^-2 = Log2 of -4.75 and the CSI = -Log2 of 4.75

The CSI is 2.70x10^1 or 4.75 bits.

If you wish to add two probabilities of 1:27 + 1:27, for example, the answer is 1:13.5
    The CSI is calculated by adding the Specified Complexities (i.e. the inverses of the individual probabilities) which is 27 + 27 which = 54
    and the Log2 of 54 (or the -Log2 of 1/54) = 5.75 ... or 5.75 bits.
    Please note that it is not 4.75 + 4.75 = 9.5 bits, which is the product of 1/27 x 1/27 = 1/729 converted to -Log2

Malty_T wrote: »
    I'm detecting a pattern here.

"Evolutionist"
    You're wrong here's why....

"Creationist"
    No YOU'RE wrong, here's why...

"Evolutionist"
    I'm sorry that's just wrong.

"Creationist"
    No.....

"Evolution"
    Yep, wrong again here's why..

*Several pages later*

"Evolutionist"
    Still wrong.

"Creationist"
    [Out of arguments]/[Question too difficult to answer]
    Quote bible verse.
    ..the actual pattern is:-

"Evolutionist"
    You're wrong here's why....4+2 does not = 6
    "Creationist"
    yes 4+2=6.

"Evolutionist"
    no ... 3+3 does not = 6
    "Creationist"
    yes 3+3 also = 6.

"Evolutionist"
    no ... 7+5 = 4
    "Creationist"
    ... we are measuring 6 here...and you you're still not adding properly!!!

"Evolutionist"
    Yep, wrong again here's why..9x5 = 6...

....*Several pages later*...

"Evolutionist"
    6=9/2 x Log33,22

"Creationist"
    [completely frustrated with such mathematical innumeracy]
    ...calls upon Almighty God to enlighten the Evolutionists darkened intellect
    Quotes bible verse:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

..the actual pattern is:-

"Evolutionist"
    You're wrong here's why....4+2 does not = 6
    "Creationist"
    yes 4+2=6.

"Evolutionist"
    no ... 3+3 does not = 6
    "Creationist"
    yes 3+3 also =6.

"Evolutionist"
    no ... 7+5 = 4
    "Creationist"
    ... we are measuring 6 here...and you you're still not adding properly!!!

"Evolution"
    Yep, wrong again here's why..9x5 = 6...

....*Several pages later*...

"Evolutionist"
    6=9/2 x Log33,22

"Creationist"
    [completely frustrated with such mathematical innumeracy]
    ...calls upon Almighty God to enlighten the Evolutionists darkened intellect
    Quotes bible verse

None of that is true.

Morbert wrote: »
    None of that is true.
    ...stop flogging a dead horse ... and continuing to embarass yourselves... I've been trying to tell ye that 3+3=6 (or its equivalent) ... and ye have been arguing that 3+3 = 3 x 3 ... and they both = 9!!!!:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Yeah, if it weren't for little things like facts, consistency and procedure, you'd have won this debate years ago.

• Advertisement

Yeah, if it weren't for little things like facts, consistency and procedure, you'd have won this debate years ago.

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement