Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

J C wrote: »
    ...OK ... so WHY did your Grandfather fight in the two World Wars, particularly the First World War, if he didn't like war or liked the Germans?

Use your brain (you muppet). Mods can complain all they want, but seriously, what kind of idiot asks a question like this?

Have some decency and apologise or at least retract your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Use your brain (you muppet). Mods can complain all they want, but seriously, what kind of idiot asks a question like this?

Have some decency and apologise or at least retract your question.

Don't take any notice equivariant. J C lives in his own reality, I genuinly wouldn't be able to make a judgement on wether or not he's just being an uncontrolable ass or if he really can't think of a possibility of why someone would fight in a war apart from loving wars or hating Germans. His mindset is that screwed up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

...I was merely pointing out that there are many YECs within the Roman Catholic Church.

Many meaning you know of at least two in two billion?

when you get over 0.00001 per cent of Catholics please inform me and i might get concerned.
    ...yes it is pretty standard New World Order stuff ... and is essential rhetoric to lay the groundwork for the One World Religion being formed with the co-operation of all of the main world religions.

You don't know what you are talking about! I lived through a time in my country of constant bombings riots and terrorism. society was divided. The opposite sides of "The Troubles" are slowly getting to trust one another. But there has to be Justice and this has come about. The next step if forgiveness and people are having a difficult time with this. How would you feel for example if your husband was a police man just stopping cars to check road tax and was shot in the face and killed by a terrorist and that terrorist is now being released?
    ... I should hope you don't hate fellow Christians!!!

I don't hate fellow human beings.
    ...what I have asked you to do is show love towards Saved Christians

What you have asked me is to agree that allowing creationism on the science curriculum is a human rights issue to which creationists should be allowed equal time. they shouldn't and preventing them does not mean I hate them!
    ... or at the very least, ask yourself why you hold them in such derision

I know why I have problems with fundamentalists. anyone who uses literal translations of the Bible Koran or any book and insists it must literally be followed as a science text even when it is clearly and demonstrably scientifically invalid has problems with reality.
    ... by calling them 'crackpots' when their faith position is one of Orthodox Christianity

No it isn't! No more than Islamists are mainstream Muslims.
    ... and their scientists include some of the most eminent members of their chosen professions

that is called "argument from authority" Look it up under "logical fallacy"
    ...are you for real??
    ...surely there is no comparison between mass murder and somebody asking that their faith and that of their children is respected!!!

I am not a moral relativist apparently you are!
    But there IS a comparison for example if people in the Branch Davidians or Jim Jones groups believed in mass suicide I would not rspect their beliefs and i would forceably take their children from them. If Jehovas wirtnessess told me not to do a blood transfusion and I was a doctor i would do the transfusion.
    ...could I gently point out that it is a criminal offence to discriminate on the basis of religion

Not always it isn't! In my country some Laws allow for discrimination on the basis of religion. There are exceptions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-discrimination_law
    And it may be civil and not criminal e.g. Labour Law.
    ... and it is also a criminal offence to make bombs!!!!

Again no it isn't! The biggest bomb makers in the world are given government support. It is a criminal law in most places to make explosives or use them to subvert the state.
    ... you are quite entitled to believe what you wish ... all that I ask is that you extend the same rights to myself and my fellow Creationists

Which i do. You may believe the Moon is made of cheese if you wish. But don't try to insist the geology of Moon cheese have equal time on science curricula as regular geology.
    ... or do you believe that Saved Christians are not entitled to peace and justice???

they are as are non christians. ALL people are! You just aren't entitled to hijack the science curriculum.

...WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???
    Creation Scientists DON'T engage in bombing ... or hijacking aircraft or anything else ...
    ... and all we ask is that our beliefs be respected within the school system

the Oklahoma bomber came from a christian background. McVeigh once said that he believed the universe was guided by natural law, energized by some universal higher power that showed each person right from wrong if they paid attention to what was going on inside them.McVeigh claimed that the bombing was revenge for "what the U.S. government did at Waco and Ruby Ridge
    ... and the only Flying Spaghetti monsters that I am aware of are the ones that Evolutionists continue to confuse themselves and their 'fellow travellers' with!!!:)

Have you never heard of the church of the flying spaghetti Monster?
    http://www.venganza.org/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

strobe wrote: »
    Don't take any notice equivariant. J C lives in his own reality, I genuinly wouldn't be able to make a judgement on wether or not he's just being an uncontrolable ass or if he really can't think of a possibility of why someone would fight in a war apart from loving wars or hating Germans. His mindset is that screwed up.
    ... there certainly was a degree of war-lust and anti-German feellings that fuelled the start of WW I.

... I also appreciate that many people, and possibly equivarient's grandfather, fought in WW I because of ideals of patriotism, etc ... but the First World War was nothing short of pointless mass slaughter on both sides ... brave idealistic young men led by cowardly cynical morons (on both sides) ... I think it was best summed up in the phrase 'Lions led by Donkeys' ... which is actually unfair to Donkeys!!!

Even the commonly used phrase to describe WW I 'The Great War' indicates a mindset not quite in touch with the horror of it all ... there was nothing 'great' about the mass machine-gunning of hundreds of thousands of idealistic young men in the mud of Flanders on the orders of generals sipping brandy in comfortable accommodation many miles away from the 'Front'!!!!
    There was nothing 'great' about the summary executions of young men suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome who refused to 'go over the top' to certain death, in many cases, or who sensibly deserted the whole 'bloody' business.

I have visited those war graves and I have great respect for the men who gave their lives ... but I really don't know what the First World War was all about .. other than the completely overblown egos of the ruling elite expressing ithemselves in the mass carnage of ordinary men ... that the first 'industrial war' almost inevitably produced.
    The generals on both sides were still using strategies that belonged to the era of the musket and the bayonet ... when confronted by machine gun and heavy artillery emplacements!!!

I believe that it is a valid question to ask why equivarients grandfather fought in two World Wars ... and yet equivarient feels that his grandfather's war experiences didn't make equivarient qualified to comment on Nazism:-

Quote: Equivarient
    "My grandfather fought in both world wars. Does that make me particularly qualified to comment on fascism/nazism? No it does not."
    ... so I do think that it is a valid question to ask why somebody who laid his life on the line (or was he a general hiding back in some Chateau sipping Brandy and smoking cigars miles away from any danger) didn't have something to say to their immediate family about what they got up to, upon their return from not just one ... but two wars!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

... OK, I appreciate that some people, and possibly equivarient's grandfather, fought in wars because of ideals of patriotism, etc ... but the First World War was nothing short of pointless mass slaughter on both sides ... brave idealistic young men led by cowardly cynical morons (on both sides) ... I think it was best summed up in the phrase 'Lions led by Donkeys' ... which is actually unfair to Donkeys!!!

My grandfather went there for a job because it was good pay and he was dirt poor. Is that ok ?
    Even the commonly used phrase to describe WW I 'The Great War' indicates a mindset not quite in touch with reality ... there was nothing 'great' about ...

Which is different to WW2, Korean War etc how ?
    I have visited those war graves and I have great respect for the men who gave their lives ... but I really don't know what the First World War was all about .. other than the completely overblown egos of the ruling elite expressing ithemselves in the mass carnage of ordinary men

And you really think the majority of the soldiers in WW2 fought to 'save the world' from the evil Nazis ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

...OK ... so WHY did your Grandfather fight in the two World Wars, particularly the First World War, if he didn't like war or liked the Germans?

I'm speechless.

It is still a valid question as to why equivarients grandfather fought in two World Wars ... equivarient did say that his grandfather's war experience didn't make equivarient qualified to comment on Nazism:-

No its not. Not in a thread about the origin/evolution of life/universe. Its just shameless trolling.
    I mentioned this fact (aout my grandfather) to illustrate a fallacy in you reasoning, by analogy with your mention of a family members exploits. Your question has nothing at all to do with the fallacy I pointed out, and it has nothing to do with the thread.
    Quote: Equivarient
    "My grandfather fought in both world wars. Does that make me particularly qualified to comment on fascism/nazism? No it does not."
    ... so I do think that it is a valid question to ask why somebody who laid his life on the line (or was he a general hiding back in some Chateau sipping Brandy and smoking cigars) didn't have something to say to their immediate family about what they got up to upon their return from not one ... but two wars!!!

You really can't help yourself, can you? You can't respond to this point without making some snide obnoxious comment that has nothing to do with the thread. You must know you are in the wrong on this point, but instead of just admitting that and getting back to the point of the thread (which I would respect), you keep insinuating bad things about a person of whom you have almost zero knowledge.

A while back in this thread, you made some boast about how you stood up to a bully when you were in school. You recent posts have really revealed what kind of rotten person you are. You are prepared to denigrate someone that you have no knowledge of just because you are unwilling to admit that you wre wrong. It seems to me that you were far more likely to be the bully than the other way. I have no desire to participate in this bull**** any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

...because you are unwilling to admit that you wre wrong...

That would also explain why he is a YEC

ISAW wrote: »
    Many meaning you know of at least two in two billion?

when you get over 0.00001 per cent of Catholics please inform me and i might get concerned.
    ...why would you be concerned?

YEC is the traditional position of Roman Catholocism.

There are millions of Roman Catholics who are still YECs ... and millions more former Roman Catholics who left to join Bible-Believing Churches because of the sudden swing towards Evolutionism over the past 40 years within Roman Catholocism!!!

Here is a man who summarises in his own life (from 1881 to 1955) the radical changes that have occurred within Roman Catholocism over the past 100 years on the 'Origins issue'
    The following quote from Wikipedia summarises the life of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin who was originally regarded as a heretic by the Vatican for his evolutionist views and his involvement in the 'Piltdown Man' FRAUD ... and the so-called discovery of 'Peking Man' that mysteriously disappeared in 1941 just before things started to 'heat up' on the Piltdown Fraud.
    His writings were banned by the Vatican throughout his lifetime ... and he is now regarded as a 'hero' and praised by the Vatican.

Its no wonder many Saved Christians are abandoning Roman Catholocism because of its new-found love of Evolutionism!!!!

Teilhard's primary book, The Phenomenon of Man, set forth a sweeping account of the unfolding of the cosmos. He abandoned traditional interpretations of creation in the Book of Genesis in favor of a less strict interpretation. This displeased certain officials in the Roman Curia and in his own order who thought that it undermined the doctrine of original sin developed by Saint Augustine. Teilhard's position was opposed by his Church superiors, and his work was denied publication during his lifetime by the Roman Holy Office. The 1950 encyclical Humani generis condemned several of Teilhard's opinions, while leaving other questions open. In 2009, the Pope praised Teilhard and his work
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Teilhard_de_Chardin

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    ...yes it is pretty standard New World Order stuff ... and is essential rhetoric to lay the groundwork for the One World Religion being formed with the co-operation of all of the main world religions.

ISAW
    You don't know what you are talking about! I lived through a time in my country of constant bombings riots and terrorism. society was divided. The opposite sides of "The Troubles" are slowly getting to trust one another. But there has to be Justice and this has come about. The next step if forgiveness and people are having a difficult time with this. How would you feel for example if your husband was a police man just stopping cars to check road tax and was shot in the face and killed by a terrorist and that terrorist is now being released?
    ... as a Christian I must forgive all my enemies ... and I'm sure that she would too ... it would be difficult, but with God on her side, everything is possible.

... but could I ask you how she would feel if the released terrorist (or one of his 'fellow travellers') insisted on indoctrinating her children with anti-God Evolutionist proaganda in the school system (because his Bishop told him that Evolution was OK) and use the full force of law (which her husband formerly upheld) to forcible indocrinate her 4 year-old with a one-sided presentation on the 'origins' issue that is diametrically opposed to her own beliefs and her dead husband's faith position?

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    ...what I have asked you to do is show love towards Saved Christians

ISAW
    What you have asked me is to agree that allowing creationism on the science curriculum is a human rights issue to which creationists should be allowed equal time. they shouldn't and preventing them does not mean I hate them!
    ...All I have asked you to do is to respect the faith position of others ... and true respect involves treating their faith position with EQUALTY!!!

... and if the Pope talks of extending justice and peace to all other religions I would suggest that he needs to 'walk the walk' ... as well as 'talking the talk'!!!!
    ... and that DOES mean treating the people who are Creationists (both within and without his Church) with respect ... and a good starting point would be for all Roman Catholics to stop deriding Creationists as 'crackpots' ... which they demonstrably most definitely are NOT!!!

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    ... or at the very least, ask yourself why you hold them in such derision

ISAW
    I know why I have problems with fundamentalists. anyone who uses literal translations of the Bible Koran or any book and insists it must literally be followed as a science text even when it is clearly and demonstrably scientifically invalid has problems with reality.
    ... you are quite entitled to your point of view ... now would you mind extending the same courtesy to myself and my fellow Creationists?

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    ... by calling them (Saved Christians) 'crackpots' when their faith position is one of Orthodox Christianity

ISAW
    No it isn't! No more than Islamists are mainstream Muslims.
    ...here you go again using extremely prejudicial words to describe Saved Christians that you are also comparing to terrorists and suicide cults.
    Look, lets get one thing straight, I wouldn't know what a bomb looks like, nor would I want to know. I am a law-abiding citizen who is living peacefully and working diligently within this society and I don't think that it is too much, in a pluralist society that my faith position is respected to the same degree that everyone else's faith position is respected. I also don't think it is asking much that the scientific deficiencies of Evolution be taught alongside its scientific validities!!!!

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    ... and their scientists include some of the most eminent members of their chosen professions

ISAW
    that is called "argument from authority" Look it up under "logical fallacy"
    ...my argument comes from their QUALIFICATIONS ... and not their authority.
    ...you're the one arguing from the authority (of the Pope) ... which you say is a logical fallacy!!!!
    wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    ...are you for real??
    ...surely there is no comparison between mass murder and somebody asking that their faith and that of their children is respected!!!

ISAW
    I am not a moral relativist apparently you are!
    But there IS a comparison for example if people in the Branch Davidians or Jim Jones groups believed in mass suicide I would not rspect their beliefs and i would forceably take their children from them. If Jehovas wirtnessess told me not to do a blood transfusion and I was a doctor i would do the transfusion.
    ... if you went ahead and did the transfusion against a patient's wishes, you could possibly be charged with assault ... and such behaviour would also be regarded as serious medical misconduct !!!
    Informed adult consent is required for all surgical procedures ... and long may this continue to be the case - it is your life and health that are 'on the line' here and doctors aren't God ... even though some may think that they are!!!
    I am not a Jehovas Witness but I do respect their faith position ... and if I were going for an operation myself that required blood transfusions, I must say that I would think long and hard about the whole thing, given all the 'blood scares' over the past 20 years.
    BTW I am a blood donor ... but I'm not so sure that I would lightly become a blood recipient ... especially if I were in a country where lower standards then the European norm were being adhered to in the collection and storage of blood products!!!!

Your comparison of Saved Christians with suicide cults has about as much validity as Hitler's unfounded rantings about the Jews ... and it is potentially just as dangerous to the wellbeing of Saved Christians ... if anybody else were to listen to you and began to believe the rubbish that you are spouting!!!:(:(

• Advertisement

monosharp wrote: »
    My grandfather went there for a job because it was good pay and he was dirt poor. Is that ok ?

Which is different to WW2, Korean War etc how ?

And you really think the majority of the soldiers in WW2 fought to 'save the world' from the evil Nazis ?
    ...if you recall that was precisely my point. My family members fought on principle to oppose Nazi tyranny ... and I am therefore competent to speak on such matters ... because they reported their 'first hand' experiences in relation to the Nazis to me!!!

I take your point that many other solidiers simply 'went with the flow' or joined up to see the world!!!

.. others loved the 'buzz' of war ... or didn't like some aspect of the people that they were fighting with!!!

doctoremma wrote: »
    I'm speechless.
    ...have you just 'evolved'? !!!:):D

...luckily, you seem to be able to still write !!!:D

No its not. Not in a thread about the origin/evolution of life/universe. Its just shameless trolling.
    I mentioned this fact (aout my grandfather) to illustrate a fallacy in you reasoning, by analogy with your mention of a family members exploits. Your question has nothing at all to do with the fallacy I pointed out, and it has nothing to do with the thread.

You really can't help yourself, can you? You can't respond to this point without making some snide obnoxious comment that has nothing to do with the thread. You must know you are in the wrong on this point, but instead of just admitting that and getting back to the point of the thread (which I would respect), you keep insinuating bad things about a person of whom you have almost zero knowledge.
    ...you are the one who dragged your grandfather into this debate ... and I have given you the opportunity, several times, to explain why you (by extension from your grandfather) are not "particularly qualified to comment on fascism/nazism" ... when your grandfather fought the Nazis in WW II.

Don't blame me for YOU dragging your grandfather into this debate ... and then being unable to account for your/his lack of qualification to comment on fascism/nazism!!!

Not always it isn't! In my country some Laws allow for discrimination on the basis of religion. There are exceptions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-discrimination_law
    And it may be civil and not criminal e.g. Labour Law.
    ..the exemptions are very limited ... and they certainly don't extend to allowing discrimination against Christians in Public Schools!!!

Which i do. You may believe the Moon is made of cheese if you wish. But don't try to insist the geology of Moon cheese have equal time on science curricula as regular geology.
    ...do you really enjoy producing strawmen ... and then allowing me to demolish them!!

they are as are non christians. ALL people are! You just aren't entitled to hijack the science curriculum.
    ...and that applies to the Atheists and their 'fellow travellers' as well !!!!

the Oklahoma bomber came from a christian background. McVeigh once said that he believed the universe was guided by natural law, energized by some universal higher power that showed each person right from wrong if they paid attention to what was going on inside them.McVeigh claimed that the bombing was revenge for "what the U.S. government did at Waco and Ruby Ridge
    ...sound like he was energised by the 'universal higher powers' of Satan when he committed the mass murder of innocent people to which you refer!!!!

the Have you never heard of the church of the flying spaghetti Monster?
    http://www.venganza.org/about/
    ...yes, it seems that the 'Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster' is the new religion that the Atheists and their 'fellow travellers' are trying to concoct!!!:eek::eek::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Your grandparents must have had it easy in WW1 J C, my great grandad came back and would never talk about it, never.

...sound like he was energised by the 'universal higher powers' of Satan when he committed the mass murder of innocent people to which you refer!!!!

Could have been the lords will, he has a nice track record, lest you forget.

My family members fought on principle to oppose Nazi tyranny ... and I am therefore competent to speak on such matters ... because they reported their findings in relation to the Nazis to me!!!!

My family members once told me there was this big fat beardy old man that came down our chimney once a year and therefore I am competent to speak on such matters because they reported their findings in relation to Burglars to me!!!!!

My family members were doctors and performed many operations and therefore I am competent to speak on such matters because they reported their findings in relation to medicine and operations to me!!!!!

You really are a very special kind of .. special :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

...All I have asked you to do is to respect the faith position of others ... and true respect involves treating their faith position with EQUALTY!!!

This is absolute rubbish although I doubt you'll admit it. Firstly, confidence in evolution is not a "faith" position, no more than confidence in gravity is. This is a sly and shameful creationist tactic which does nothing if not highlight how precarious they view their position i.e we can't compete with you as a scientific discipline so we'll re-label you as a faith position.

Secondly, you do not treat the faith position of everyone as equal and I strongly doubt you want to. You do not want equal time and respect for all religious beliefs, you want more time for your own belief. You dismiss the premise of the FSM when there really is no evidence that your god is somehow more likely. Or more likely than Santa Claus. But I'd be pretty certain you'd object to FSM lessons at school. I am guessing (hoping) you would not want your children being taught that we should respect a faith position that demands a virgin to be sacrificed on the summer solstice (or whatever). In fact, like the rest of us, you'd probably want the people putting their faith into practice to be arrested and tried for murder.

So really? Are all faith positions equal or are some more equal than others?

You really are a very special kind of .. special :rolleyes:
    ...Thanks Mono ... and we're ALL a very special kind of special, as far as God is concerned !!!!:D

Your grandparents must have had it easy in WW1 J C, my great grandad came back and would never talk about it, never.
    ...none of my family took part in WW I.

... and I can well understand that your grandfather may have been so traumatised by his experiences in the living Hell that was WW I, that he didn't want to talk about it ... it is a pity though, that he didn't talk about his experiences, as it would be an account of 'living history' for you ... and it might have been somewhat therapeutic for him.

My uncle maintained that War is a terrible business ... and if politicians had to fight themselves, they wouldn't be as enthusiastic about engaging in it!!!
    He said that soldiers have great respect for each other and he had the height of respect for the sense of honour and professionalism of the elite German Divisions - both as fighters and as prisoners of war.

• Advertisement

doctoremma wrote: »
    This is absolute rubbish although I doubt you'll admit it. Firstly, confidence in evolution is not a "faith" position, no more than confidence in gravity is. This is a sly and shameful creationist tactic which does nothing if not highlight how precarious they view their position i.e we can't compete with you as a scientific discipline so we'll re-label you as a faith position.

Secondly, you do not treat the faith position of everyone as equal and I strongly doubt you want to. You do not want equal time and respect for all religious beliefs, you want more time for your own belief. You dismiss the premise of the FSM when there really is no evidence that your god is somehow more likely. Or more likely than Santa Claus. But I'd be pretty certain you'd object to FSM lessons at school. I am guessing (hoping) you would not want your children being taught that we should respect a faith position that demands a virgin to be sacrificed on the summer solstice (or whatever). In fact, like the rest of us, you'd probably want the people putting their faith into practice to be arrested and tried for murder.

So really? Are all faith positions equal or are some more equal than others?
    ...if you are asking if all faith positions are as well founded in logic and science as others ... I must tell you that the Creationist position is fully supported by logic and the physical evidence of the involvement of an inordinate intelligence in the creation of the CSI found in life. Equally the physical evidence contained in the sedimentary rocks of the world confirms that a massive extinction event of worldwide proprtions did occur in the recent past!!!

'Evolution' is little more than Natural/Sexual Selection acting on the genetic unfolding existing CSI ... and the idea that Ponslime could spontaneously arise 'from goo to you' is about as evidentially challenged as the 'Tooth Fairy' !!!:eek::D

...none of my family took part in WW I..

Ah yes, I see now it was Equivariant who's family took part in both.

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C

Genghiz Cohen
    Could have been the lords will, he has a nice track record, lest you forget.
    ...that was then (Old Testament Times under Law) ... and this is now (New Testament Times under Grace) ... the mass murder of innocent people today cannot be justified by anybody for any reason ... so such activity is evil to the core!!

...if you are asking if all faith positions are as well founded in logic and science as others ... I must tell you that the Creationist position is fully supported by logic and the physical evidence of the involvement of an inordinate intelligence in the creation of the CSI found in life. Equally the physical evidence contained in the sedimentary rocks of the world confirms that a massive extinction event of worldwide proprtions did occur in the recent past!!!

'Evolution' is little more than Natural/Sexual Selection acting on the genetic unfolding existing CSI ... and the idea that Ponslime could spontaneously arise 'from goo to you' is about as evidentially challenged as the 'Tooth Fairy' !!!:eek::D

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

...if you recall that was precisely my point. My family members fought on principle to oppose Nazi tyranny

Basically, same reason you're a creationist, then?

...that was then (Old Testament Times under Law) ... and this is now (New Testament Times under Grace) ... the mass murder of innocent people today cannot be justified by anybody for any reason ... so such activity is evil to the core!!

So you maintain genocide child abuse and rape were acceptable to God in ancient times? B izzare!

So you maintain genocide child abuse and rape were acceptable to God in ancient times? B izzare!

In fairness to JC you can't really argue that it wasn't can you ? Its there in the Bible as clear as day. Or are all these instances 'metaphors' ?

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2009/01/how-many-has-god-killed-revised_04.html

Gods Genocide count.

1. God drowns everyone of earth (except Noah and his family)
    2. God rains fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah, killing everyone.
    3. Lot's wife for looking back
    4. Er who was "wicked in the sight of the Lord"
    5. Onan for spilling his seed
    6. A 7 year, world-wide famine
    7. 7th Egyptian Plague: Hail
    8. God kills every Egyptian firstborn child.
    9. God drowns Egyptian army
    10. God and Moses help Joshua kill the Amalekites
    11. .... etc

Total: 34,769,061

Would you like links for the child abuse and/or rape ?

How to sell your daughter -- and what to do if she fails to please her new master. 21:7-8

God decides to kill Moses because his son had not yet been circumcised. Luckily for Moses, his Egyptian wife Zipporah "took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me. So he [God] let him go." 4:24

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    ...if you recall that was precisely my point. My family members fought on principle to oppose Nazi tyranny

The Mad Hatter
    Basically, same reason you're a creationist, then?
    ...yes, my opposition to Nazi tyranny and my support for Creation Science are BOTH based on well-supported, verifiable and logical principles!!!:D

In fairness to JC you can't really argue that it wasn't can you ? Its there in the Bible as clear as day. Or are all these instances 'metaphors' ?

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2009/01/how-many-has-god-killed-revised_04.html

Gods Genocide count.

1. God drowns everyone of earth (except Noah and his family)
    2. God rains fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah, killing everyone.
    3. Lot's wife for looking back
    4. Er who was "wicked in the sight of the Lord"
    5. Onan for spilling his seed
    6. A 7 year, world-wide famine
    7. 7th Egyptian Plague: Hail
    8. God kills every Egyptian firstborn child.
    9. God drowns Egyptian army
    10. God and Moses help Joshua kill the Amalekites
    11. .... etc

Total: 34,769,061

Would you like links for the child abuse and/or rape ?

How to sell your daughter -- and what to do if she fails to please her new master. 21:7-8

God decides to kill Moses because his son had not yet been circumcised. Luckily for Moses, his Egyptian wife Zipporah "took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me. So he [God] let him go." 4:24
    In fairness you do have a very important point for the so-called 'Liberal Christians' to chew over ... and I have yet to hear them either explain these passages ... or call them metaphors ... because they clearly aren't metaphors ... but then the first two chapters of Genesis are clearly not metaphorical either ... and this fact hasn't stopped them calling these passages metaphorical!!!

...I await the ultimate logic of the 'liberal' positon ... the deeming of the entire Bible to be metaphorical!!!

...anyway, my answer to your question in relation to God's apparent 'Genocide' of large sections of Mankind is to ask the following rhetorical question ...
    ... aren't we lucky to be living in the era of God's Grace and Mercy ... rather than having to live under His Justice and retribution?

... and the Good News is that the choice is YOURS ... whichever way you want to go!!!:)...

... yes God is a Just as well as a Loving God and he does deal with His opponents ... and he will Judge you and send you to Hell ... if you refuse Salvation, as well!!!

De 5:9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,
    10 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments

Ro 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

• Advertisement

In fairness you do have a very important point for the so-called 'Liberal Christians' to chew over ... and I have yet to hear them either explain these passages

Midrash Interpretation: The writers of the Hebrew Scriptures appear to have employed Midrash extensively. This tradition seems to have been continued by the writers of the Christian Scriptures (New Testament). This would be reasonable to expect, since all but one of the New Testament authors were of Jewish background and midrash would form a major part of their religious culture. (The author of Gospel of Luke and of Acts may have been a Gentile; he apparently knew little about Jewish customs).

Near the end of the first century CE, friction between the early Christians and mainline Judaism mounted. At the same time, Paul and his followers were evangelizing the Gentiles (non-Jews). The result was that the Christian movements became predominately non-Jewish and eventually anti-Jewish. Being ignorant of the Midrash tradition and antagonistic towards the Jews, the early Christians began to interpret the Christian Scriptures literally.

Christian theologian Michael Goulder pioneered the Midrash interpretation of the Gospels in the mid-1970's. Bishop Spong widely introduced Midrash to the public.

Folklore interpretation: Ancient stories were circulated for decades or centuries via an oral tradition before being fixed in written form. Some were legends and myths; others were accounts of real events. Various groups within a religion or culture passed on different versions of the story. By the time that multiple versions of the same story were written down, many discrepancies -- mostly minor -- had developed.
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_intee.htm

http://www.bigissueground.com/atheistground/cauthen-bibleinterpret.shtml

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement