Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Nick Dolan

yep I think Im out of here. This isnt really a discussion, its a bunch of us taking on JC. Very like the entire Brasilian team taking on Roger Feder in a game of soccer while he waves his arms and shouts "were all playing cricket!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Nick Dolan wrote: »
    yep I think Im out of here. This isnt really a discussion, its a bunch of us taking on JC. Very like the entire Brasilian team taking on Roger Feder in a game of soccer while he waves his arms and shouts "were all playing cricket!"

I dare say you could give St. Paul a run for his money on his use of colourful and mixed metaphors.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I hate this thread.

Finally something we can agree on :D

See you at the next evolutionist conspiracy meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Sam Vimes wrote: »

I was at one only last week.

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

I hate it too, but I keep reading it — if only as an exhibition of varying levels of sanity, glazed with some (pseudo-)science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,423 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is there a good reason to keep it open?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Kirby wrote: »
    Are you being sarcastic here? It doesn't appear so but this statement is so ridiculous I have to ask.

Many languages have been invented since the bible was written. . Language evolves constantly. Go read a shakespeare play and compare it to the language of today. Strike that, compare language of thirty years ago and compare it to today. I can't imagine a person from the eighties knows what an "internet" is, how many "lols" a comedian gets, and probably thinks "d'oh" is something you use to make doughnuts.

Words and languages fall out of use and are forgotten, and new words are formed with combinations of letters not seen before. This is natural and has always happened, and will always happen.
    ... the basic language has appeared suddenly and completely ... of course some words that are no longer required/used 'disappear' ... and new words are intelligently introduced ... but there is no evidence of any language being slowly 'evolved from grunt to onomatopoeia' !!!!:):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

J C wrote: »
    Yes!!:):D

Can we see?

No, he's quite serious. Well, to the extent that I believe he's trolling - I don't think anyone could be that consistently dishonest without knowing it.

I know, I was thinking that JC could actually be the ultimate level. :D

If so, fair play

wrote:
    Originally Posted by Sam Vimes

Fanny Cradock
    I was at one only last week

Fanny Cradock
    I hate this thread.
    ... I see where you are coming from!!!!

... you are an Evolutionist and you hate this thread ... well boo...hoo!!!
    ... could this be because Evolution has had the pants repeatedly beaten off it on this thread ... with no effective response from Evolutionists???

... BTW I was also at an 'Evolutionist Conspiracy' meeting last week myself ... and I enjoyed every minute of it ... they still think that 'I am one of them' ... and I haven't gone out of my way to inform them that I'm not!!!!:eek::D:)

... you just has to have a laugh ... sometimes!!!!:):D:eek:

• Advertisement

... the basic language has appeared suddenly and completely ... of course some words that are no longer required/used 'disappear' ... and new words are intelligently introduced ... but there is no evidence of any language being slowly 'evolved from grunt to onomatopoeia' !!!!:):D

There's also not evidence of it not.

Overheal wrote: »
    You're avoiding having to address my last post.
    You've never raised a child then.

Though thrusting that example what if I were to say I burned and destroyed all of my papers, my birth certificate, my childhood crayola drawings, the family video collection, and expunge all record of my presence from the internet.

Would I then by your mechanic of reasoning be considered to have just been placed here all of a sudden on the planet earth as a walking talking 23 year old manchild? More Importantly, would it be assumed that I could speak fluent english of my own volition through some miracle? As there would be no proof I ever went to school, or practice language, because all of those records were erased.

in your opinion.
    ... you are making the same mistake that Evolutionists make about life now about language ...
    ... you are confusing the Intelligently Designed origins of both language and life ... with their mechanistic transmission/reproduction!!!!

... all CSI behaves this way ... for example, a song or a poem always has an intelligent origin ... but once it is created it can be mechanistically reproduced ad nauseum!!!!:):D

gosplan wrote: »
    There's also not evidence of it not.
    ... all of the evidence shows different fully functional language appearing suddenly ... with no 'trial and error' intermediate languages between 'grunts and onomatopoeia' !!!:):D

wrote:
    gosplan
    Can we see?

Fanny Cradock
    Will we be seeing this, JC?
    ... what's with all this poker talk???
    ... I have already told gosplan that I have a Royal Flush ... and you guys are just bluffing with a 'busted' straight !!!:eek::D

... and I have provided the mathematical evidence for God repeatedly on this thread ... for example, here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66679601&postcount=22659

... did the guys at the 'Evolutionist Conspiracy' meeting tell you that God doesn't exist, or can't be proven to exist, (which amounts to the same thing) ... and you believe their word over the Word of God in the Bible ... and my word as a Saved Christian???

... all of the evidence shows different fully functional language appearing suddenly ... with no 'trial and error' intermediate languages between 'grunts and onomatopoeia' !!!:):D

What evidence? Just provide a link please if you don't want to spend to long typing.

Explain fully functional if you will. Are you including grammar, numbers etc?

I dare say you could give St. Paul a run for his money on his use of colourful and mixed metaphors.
    ... and I'm certainly giving Job a run for his money ... in both the persecution ... and patience stakes!!!!:):D:eek:

... the downright wilful rejection of God and His truth in the Bible on this thread ... has to be seen to be believed!!!!:eek:

What evidence? Just provide a link please if you don't want to spend to long typing.

Also (I shudder to ask), if language was created along with everything else 10,000 years ago and the earliest recorded language is say 5000 years old, what happened in between?

Please do try to answer my previous question before this if it's not too much trouble though.

Also, any chance of posting that maths? I'm sure if you spend so long solving it for Dembski, you would have e-mailed it or written it somewhere so it should just be copy and paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

Is there a good reason to keep it open?

There really, really isn't. This thread is like a merry-go-round that just doesn't stop. I long for the day when I go to the Christianity forum and see that little lock beside this thread. What a glorious day it will be.

It will look something like this

lockedm.jpg

I wait with great anticipation

then how do you explain the progression from cave drawings to heiroglyphs and cubiform?

... could this be because Evolution has had the pants repeatedly beaten off it on this thread ... with no effective response from Evolutionists???
    The only one running around without any pants seems to be you, tbf.

• Advertisement

You're saying basically that you've repeatedly beaten the pants of evolution?

It's the pride and arrogance that annoys me the most. Not the ignorance.

Valid or not, evereyone's making points in this thread and everyone's backing them up with evidence, JC.

The thread's going round and round and by your primative standards of arguing(scientifically valid argument = 'because it is'), no-one here's been proven wrong ... yet you're the only person crowing in here. Why is that?

It's very un-christian anyway.

Also (I shudder to ask), if language was created along with everything else 10,000 years ago and the earliest recorded language is say 5000 years old, what happened in between?
    ... most of the ante-diluvian writing was lost during the Flood!!!!:)

... and the vast array of modern languages were created by God at the dispersal of Babel ... after the Flood!!!:D

... it all 'hangs together' ... and the explanations are consistent with each other and the Biblical Account ... because it's the truth!!!!

Also, any chance of posting that maths? I'm sure if you spend so long solving it for Dembski, you would have e-mailed it or written it somewhere so it should just be copy and paste.
    ... the basic premise is here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58461952&postcount=14087

then how do you explain the progression from cave drawings to heiroglyphs and cubiform?
    ... this is explained,, just like the difference between alphanumeric writing and Chinese character writing is explained ...
    ... they are different contemporaneous ways of expressing different languages .. and none of them have 'developed' from each other!!!:D:)

You're saying basically that you've repeatedly beaten the pants of evolution?

It's the pride and arrogance that annoys me the most. Not the ignorance.

Valid or not, evereyone's making points in this thread and everyone's backing them up with evidence, JC.

The thread's going round and round and by your primative standards of arguing(scientifically valid argument = 'because it is'), no-one here's been proven wrong ... yet you're the only person crowing in here. Why is that?

It's very un-christian anyway.
    ... I am desperately trying to Save your souls!!!

... I don't have the time or the energy to be 'Mr Nice Guy' ... I am throwing you an eternal life-jacket ... and I expect you to shut up and listen ... for once in your life!!!!

... your ethernal destiny depends on it ... so get real ... and go get Saved!!!

... and there is nothing 'un-Christian' about telling somebody the truth ... even if it's the last thing that their darkened heart wants to hear!!!:D:)

... I take no pleasure in any of this ... and I take no pride in it either ... as I give all of the credit to the Holy Spirit!!!:eek::)

... and BTW I love you all ... even after all the terrible things ye have said about me ... I turn the other cheek ... and forgive you all !!!!

token56 wrote: »
    There really, really isn't. This thread is like a merry-go-round that just doesn't stop. I long for the day when I go to the Christianity forum and see that little lock beside this thread. What a glorious day it will be.

It will look something like this

lockedm.jpg

I wait with great anticipation
    ... what's it with Atheists ... and locking threads (when they have the pants beaten off themselves)!!!!

... a few years ago the Skeptics were blowing the breeze about Ken Ham's visit to Ireland ... and I took them on ... and blew their silly arguments out of the water ... and their response was to summarily lock the thread ... just like a spoilt child gathering up its toys ... and refusing to come out to play!!!!:eek::):D

... a language that has all of the basic words and grammatical constructions required to effectively and efficiently communicate about every-day and essential issues.

Nick Dolan wrote: »
    ... you are correct that there is a bunch of Evolutionists taking me on alright ... and so far the 300 or so who have 'stepped up to the plate' ... are losing!!!!:):D

... it is indeed very hard to prove something (like Evolution) that never happened ... and relatively easy to prove that Creation happened ... because it did!!!

... please come over to the side of God and His Angels ... it it much easier ... and could also get Saved ... as an added (and very important) bonus!!!!:):D

... most of the ante-diluvian writing was lost during the Flood!!!!:)

... and the vast array of modern languages were created by God at the dispersal of Babel ... after the Flood!!!:D

... it all 'hangs together' ... and the explanations are consistent with each other and the Biblical Account ... because it's the truth!!!!

So what's inconsistant about the other explanation?

i.e. that language slowly evolved from pictures to ideograms to fully formed languages?

The only think you have to refute this is a book that says among other things, the world is flat and if you rape my sister, I should have you marry her.

• Advertisement

Will get to this but don't have the time right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement