Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

J C wrote: »
    ... are you going to make this your signature ... in answering every poster who disagrees with you?

In the case of people who don't understand the scientific method or scientific terms I suppose I could. Thanks for the advice.
    It seems to be the stock answer for practically every Materialistic Evolutionist on this thread, when faced with the irrefutible evidence for the scientific invalidity of 'Big Picture' Evolution.

Funny how I just used it when Soul Winner showed he didn't understand the scientific method or scientific terminology such as the scientific usage of the word 'fact'.
    When you cannot defend your argument, it is a pretty poor defense to personally attack your opponent's scientific abilities ... instead of addressing the issues raised by them!

He didn't raise any issues, he misunderstood a scientific term used by a scientist and tried to draw a parallel with the same term in common everyday language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

monosharp wrote: »
    And this has been explained to you many times before.

Honestly this same page has been linked dozens of times about this same thing. Have you ever read it ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_as_theory_and_fact

Let's just link the page again shall we ?

Yes ? And ?

The Earth is not round, it is an oblate spheroid. And in 50 years they might correct this even further to something else when they can measure it more accurately.

The scientific method did not prove the Earth was round because the Earth isn't round. It also didn't prove that the Earth is an oblate spheroid because we simply cannot measure it to that kind of accuracy.

But a spherical Earth is more correct than a flat Earth. An oblate spherical Earth is more correct than a spherical Earth.

Your complete misunderstanding of the scientific method and the terms used in Science perhaps ?

All that tells me is that words can be used for whatever meaning one wants them to have. I prefer the old meaning of the word fact i.e. that a thing is true. If a thing starts out as a simply idea in someone's head and has not been verified as a fact by supporting evidence, then evidence must be presented in order to do so. So when someone tells me that something is a fact without actually explaining what they mean by the word fact then I'm inclined to take the normal meaning of the word. How could I do otherwise? Now we know that the earth is not flat, call it spherical, oval or whatever you like (I like calling it round, and by round I don't mean circular - balloons can be round but not necessarily circular) in any case, it has been proven not to be flat. Right? Is it OK for me to accept that much? So the earth is not flat is a scientifically proven fact. Does anyone here want to debate that? Obviously not. Why? Because you know better. So when an eminent scientist like Dawkins walks into a Muslim school and tells the teachers there that evolution is a fact, what other meaning of his words are they suppose to infer unless he stipulates what he actual means when he uses the word fact? That's my point. If you're gonna use words like fact to people whom you know have only one meaning in their head for that word then you must stipulate what you mean or use a different frickin word. Capish???

EDIT: Eventually found the clip: Forward to 25:14 (there are annoying adds that you have to look at unfortunately)

Or just click here

All that tells me is that words can be used for whatever meaning one wants them to have. I prefer the old meaning of the word fact i.e. that a thing is true.

The 'old meaning' of the word 'fact' ? :confused:

That's the whole entire point. The meaning of common everyday language is not exact.

Look at this statement. 'The Earth goes around the sun'. Is this 'true' ? No.

Science cannot be 'proven' because we simply cannot 'know' 100% something is true. Gravity is a fact in science because we can experiment and observe things falling. That doesn't mean that gravity is 100% true because we cannot know that tomorrow things will definitely fall.

We can be almost certain it is true but we cannot be sure. If you want proof look into maths. Science cannot be proven.
    If a thing starts out as a simply idea in someone's head and has not been verified as a fact by supporting evidence, then evidence must be presented in order to do so.

Ok then, please show me verification and proof that the Earth goes around the sun or any other thing you'd like.
    So when someone tells me that something is a fact without actually explaining what they mean by the word fact then I'm inclined to take the normal meaning of the word. How could I do otherwise?

He's a Scientist talking about Science. Isn't it obvious ?

The theory of Evolution is a fact the same way that the theory of gravity is a fact or the theory of heliocentricity is a fact.
    Now we know that the earth is not flat, call it spherical, oval or whatever you like (I like calling it round, and by round I don't mean circular - balloons can be round but not necessarily circular) in any case, it has been proven not to be flat.

You can prove things to be false, yes.
    Right? Is it OK for me to accept that much? So the earth is not flat is a scientifically proven fact.

It's been falsified yes.
    Does anyone here want to debate that? Obviously not. Why? Because you know better. So when an eminent scientist like Dawkins walks into a Muslim school and tells the teachers there that evolution is a fact, what other meaning of his words are they suppose to infer unless he stipulates what he actual means when he uses the word fact?

Because it is a fact the same way as anything else in science is a fact.
    That's my point. If you're gonna use words like fact to people whom you know have only one meaning in their head for that word then you must stipulate what you mean or use a different frickin word. Capish???

Science cannot 'prove' anything to be true. You are the one who has brought that into the debate. Science uses the word fact in a few ways, linked to you on several websites which I doubt you have read even now.

The theory of evolution is a 'fact' in the closest way anything in science can be a fact. Science cannot give 'proof' in the same way as something like Maths can.

No scientific theory can ever be 'proven' true, its simply not possible.

Or just click here

Can't watch it in Asialand but I'll assume he says "Evolution is a fact" which it is.

Will you please kindly read at least one of these links.

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library/gould_fact-and-theory.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

The 'old meaning' of the word 'fact' ? :confused:

That's the whole entire point. The meaning of common everyday language is not exact.

Look at this statement. 'The Earth goes around the sun'. Is this 'true' ? No.

Science cannot be 'proven' because we simply cannot 'know' 100% something is true. Gravity is a fact in science because we can experiment and observe things falling. That doesn't mean that gravity is 100% true because we cannot know that tomorrow things will definitely fall.

We can be almost certain it is true but we cannot be sure. If you want proof look into maths. Science cannot be proven.

Ok then, please show me verification and proof that the Earth goes around the sun or any other thing you'd like.

He's a Scientist talking about Science. Isn't it obvious ?

The theory of Evolution is a fact the same way that the theory of gravity is a fact or the theory of heliocentricity is a fact.

You can prove things to be false, yes.

It's been falsified yes.

Because it is a fact the same way as anything else in science is a fact.

Science cannot 'prove' anything to be true. You are the one who has brought that into the debate. Science uses the word fact in a few ways, linked to you on several websites which I doubt you have read even now.

The theory of evolution is a 'fact' in the closest way anything in science can be a fact. Science cannot give 'proof' in the same way as something like Maths can.

No scientific theory can ever be 'proven' true, its simply not possible.

So the phrase: "Scientifically proven." is meaningless?

• Advertisement

So the phrase: "Scientifically proven." is meaningless?

Unless your selling some crap and you want to trick the masses into believing your product can do X, Y and Z than no, it doesn't mean anything in science. It means a load of rubbish in marketing and advertising though.

It's like those diet ads you see. 'Scientifically proven' to cause weight loss. It isn't science it's marketing nonsense.

If you consider maths to be science then at least that branch of science can have 'proof'. Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_proof

In mathematics, a proof is a convincing demonstration (within the accepted standards of the field) that some mathematical statement is necessarily true. Proofs are obtained from deductive reasoning, rather than from inductive or empirical arguments. That is, a proof must demonstrate that a statement is true in all cases, without a single exception. An unproved proposition that is believed to be true is known as a conjecture.

In mathematics, it is possible to know all cases and to test against these cases.

In science (other sciences if you consider maths to be a science) it is impossible to know all cases.

For example, right now we have mountains of fossils supporting common ancestry. But have we found all fossils ? No of course not. Is it even possible to find all fossils ? Probably not.

So all the (fossil) evidence we have supports common ancestry and the theory of evolution and many predictions made under that theory. But the fact remains we don't have all fossil evidence and it's impossible to have all fossil evidence hence we cannot know all cases therefore we cannot 'prove' it.

Science can never prove anything, ever. It can strongly support it, you can have mountains of evidence in support of something but you can never have it all hence you can never prove it.

To say something is 'proven' is to say that it cannot be false. That every single possibility of every case without exception has been used to test against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Wicknight wrote: »
    Nonsense, we have consistently demonstrated we didn't misrepresent any of your writings. Ever.
    Methinks the gentleman protesteth too much!!!

Science can never prove anything, ever. It can strongly support it, you can have mountains of evidence in support of something but you can never have it all hence you can never prove it.
    ... Evolutionist Science may never prove anything ... except the fact that Evolution is false!!!

On the other hand, Creation Science has mathematically proven that life has been Intelligently Designed.

... so you have a choice ... between Evolutionist Science which can never prove anything ... and Creation Science which will rock your world!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭SleepDoc

... Evolutionist Science may never prove anything ... except the fact that Evolution is false!!!

On the other hand, Creation Science has mathematically proven that life has been Intelligently Designed.

... so you have a choice ... between Evolutionist Science which can never prove anything ... and Creation Science which will rock your world!!!!

Any chance we could see this mathematical "proof"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Nonsense, we have consistently demonstrated we didn't misrepresent any of your writings. Ever.

Well, only as a satire of his own misrepresentations. Unless of course you're now satirising his denials.

• Advertisement

SleepDoc wrote: »
    Any chance we could see this mathematical "proof"?

We've seen it before. It's mostly based on figures that have been made up.

We've seen it before. It's mostly based on figures that have been made up.

Thought as much.

It's priceless ... just listen to how Prof Dawkin's answers the five year olds at the end (from 46 minutes on) ... one child asks why Horseshoe Crabs haven't changed much over hundreds of millions of years ... and the good professor tells him that they haven't changed much ... but other things have ... which begs the obvious question as to why crabs haven't changed one iota while Humans were supposedly 'evolving' from something that looked like a mutant frog????!!!
    !
    Another child asked where the Sun came from and Prof Dawkins said that it was the result of another star exploding ... which immediately begs the question as to where the other star came from!!!!

... and finally Prof Dawkins came very close to actually confirming Noah's worldwide Flood when he said that the reason for the extinction of the Dinosaurs was a worldwide steam cloud all around the Earth !!!
    I sounds suspiciously like a description of the fountains of the great deep breaking forth, with all of the volcanism and steam that is implied by this part of the account of the Great Flood !!!

... so Prof Dawkins argued for the best part of an hour for the legally enforced replacement of religious education with Atheistic indoctrination in schools ... and he then almost ended up confirming the account of the Great Flood that is common to all three Great Monotheistic Religions!!!!

It's priceless ... just listen to how Prof Dawkin's answers the five year olds at the end (from 46 minutes on) ... one child asks why Horse-shoe crabs haven't changed much over hundreds of millions of years ... and the good professor tells him that they haven't changed much ... but other things have ... which begs the obvious question why crabs haven't chaged one iota while we were supposedly 'evolving' from something that looked like a mutant lizard????!!!
    !
    Another child asked where the Sun came from and Prof Dawkins said that it was the result of another star exploding ... which immediately begs the question of where the other star came from!!!!

... and finally Prof Dawkins came very close to actually confirming Noah's worldwide Flood (which he described as a worldwide steam cloud all around the Earth) as the reason for the extinction of the Dinosaurs!!!
    Sounds suspiciously like the fountains of the great deep breaking forth, with all of the volcanism and steam that was part of the Great Flood to me!!!

... so Prof Dawkins argued for the best part of an hour for the legally enforced replacement of religious education by Atheistic indoctrination in schools ... and then he almost ended up confirming the account of the Great Flood that is common to all three Monotheistic Religions!!!!

Were dinosaurs too heavy for the ark?

Were dinosaurs too heavy for the ark?
    Some 'dinosaurs' are still alive ... the Crocodile ... and the Rhinoceros, for example.
    The really big dinosaurs survived on the Ark as juveniles ... and their descendents survived until relatively recently ... before being hunted to extinction ... many of the accounts of 'dragon-slaying' relate to dinosaur hunting and extinctions.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090611182326AAnWCuK

Some 'dinosaurs' are still alive ... the Crocodile ... and the Rhinoceros, for example.
    The really big dinosaurs survived on the Ark as juveniles ... and their descendents survived until relatively recently ... before being hunted to extinction ... many of the accounts of 'dragon-slaying' relate to dinosaur hunting and extinctions.

The Rhinoceros is a dinosaur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Here we go again.

Yes, a triceratops. This is what you're dealing with here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

PDN wrote: »
    Here we go again.

I thought I felt my Spider-sense tingling...

*twitches*

Can soul winner or some other creationist please give their opinion on the above rubbish ?

I'm seriously hoping that you can see this as the nonsense it is, honestly.

Look this kind of crap is even looked at with scorn by other creationists. Please look up Kent Hovind and how other well known creationists see him and his rubbish, rubbish which JC keeps repeating here.

From; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Hovind#From_creationists
    Hovind has been criticized by other creationists, including young earth creationists and old earth creationists who believe that many of his arguments are invalid and, consequently, undermine their cause.

Creationist astronomer Hugh Ross, of Reasons to Believe, debated Hovind on the age of the Earth during the John Ankerberg Show, televised nationally on the Inspiration Network in September through October 2000.[70][71] Ross said Hovind was "misrepresenting the field" of different sciences,[72] and Ross told Hovind: "Astronomers view the credibility of the 'Young Earth' as being much weaker than that for a flat earth."

He has been criticized by Greg Neyman of Answers in Creation (an old Earth creationist group), who says that in Hovind's statements "Hovind goes on to show that he knows absolutely nothing about the science of Carbon Dating."

• Advertisement

PDN wrote: »
    Here we go again.
    It is now known (and accepted by Evolutionists) that some Dinosaurs were warm blooded ... the Evolutionists try to explain away this unexpected turn of events (from an evolutionary perspective) by saying that their bodies were warmed by the digestion of food which has just about as much credibility as the legends of fire breathing dragons (which must be where the Evolutionists got the idea that some dinosaurs had fire in their bellies)!!!!

The obvious explanation is that some Dionosaurs weren't cold-blooded lizards ... but were warm-blooded mammals ... but that would overturn what is left of the Evolutionist 'applecart' ... and so they go off making up stories to cover over this yawning 'crack' in their theory ... and ironically, they then laugh at anybody who points out their fallacy!!!

... the Emperors new clothes ... and all that!!!

Can soul winner or some other creationist please give their opinion on the above rubbish ?

I'm seriously hoping that you can see this as the nonsense it is, honestly.

Look this kind of crap is even looked at with scorn by other creationists. Please look up Kent Hovind and how other well known creationists see him and his rubbish, rubbish which JC keeps repeating here.

From; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Hovind#From_creationists

Creationist astronomer Hugh Ross, of Reasons to Believe, debated Hovind on the age of the Earth during the John Ankerberg Show, televised nationally on the Inspiration Network in September through October 2000.[70][71] Ross said Hovind was "misrepresenting the field" of different sciences,[72] and Ross told Hovind: "Astronomers view the credibility of the 'Young Earth' as being much weaker than that for a flat earth."

He has been criticized by Greg Neyman of Answers in Creation (an old Earth creationist group), who says that in Hovind's statements "Hovind goes on to show that he knows absolutely nothing about the science of Carbon Dating."
    Debate is healthy!!!

... and, unlike some of our Evolutionist colleagues, Creation Scientists doesn't seek to ban any alternative hypotheses to the Gospel according to Darwin.

... but we do accept that all forensic theories are subject to change as scienctific procedures progress .. and/or new evidence emerges.

Could I also point out that Kent Hovind isn't a Creation Scientist, for the very obvious reason that he isn't a conventionally qualified scientist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Hello all.
    Im not a structural engineer / zooligist/ vet / naval engineer. I dont have any qualifications (except perhaps that i grew up on a farm) required to carry out Noahs task. So this is a genuine question. With todays technology and materials would it be possible to build a ship large enough to contain hundreds of thousands of animals, insects, birds, enormous dinosaurs etc. Animals many of which would be hostile to each other. Could this ship be large enough to contain enough food to care for these animals over any period. Could this ship be constructed in a way that would make it possible to cope with the dung and droppings of this many animals. How many people would be need to control, feed and generally maintain this ship?
    Is it possible today.
    Im guessing not or at least it would be an enormous job.
    So how was this achieved in the time of Noah.
    Im guessing that "God helped" is part of the answer. One third of him is a carpenter after all.
    But I still would love some stats on the materials used, size of vessel and just a few logistics on this floating marvel.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It has a horn doesn't it .... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

There were juvenile dinosaurs on the ark?

I haven't looked at this thread is a long time & now I know why. Its evolving into something strange........................

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

You'd think if it was mathematically proven theists would bring it up more.
    J C wrote:
    The obvious explanation is that some Dionosaurs weren't cold-blooded lizards ... but were warm-blooded mammals ...

You do realise that modern day birds are warm blooded? So saying they were warm blooded means they were mammals is totally false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It is now known (and accepted by Evolutionists) that some Dinosaurs were warm blooded ...

"Accepted by"? What are you talking about, that was DISCOVERED by "evolutionists".

So much for the grand conspiracy of scientists then :rolleyes:

Hello all.
    Im not a structural engineer / zooligist/ vet / naval engineer. I dont have any qualifications (except perhaps that i grew up on a farm) required to carry out Noahs task. So this is a genuine question. With todays technology and materials would it be possible to build a ship large enough to contain hundreds of thousands of animals, insects, birds, enormous dinosaurs etc. Animals many of which would be hostile to each other. Could this ship be large enough to contain enough food to care for these animals over any period. Could this ship be constructed in a way that would make it possible to cope with the dung and droppings of this many animals. How many people would be need to control, feed and generally maintain this ship?
    Is it possible today.
    Im guessing not or at least it would be an enormous job.
    So how was this achieved in the time of Noah.
    Im guessing that "God helped" is part of the answer. One third of him is a carpenter after all.
    But I still would love some stats on the materials used, size of vessel and just a few logistics on this floating marvel.
    Thanks
    A very good question ... and here are a seletion of the answers to your question:-

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c013.html
    http://carm.org/could-noahs-ark-hold-all-animals
    http://creation.com/how-did-all-the-animals-fit-on-noahs-ark

It has a horn doesn't it .... :P
    ... beep ... beep !!!!:p

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    You do realise that modern day birds are warm blooded? So saying they (Dinosaurs) were warm blooded means they were mammals is totally false.
    ... some of the bipedal dinosaurs were birds ... and the quadrapedal homeotherms were indeed Mammals !!!

... and thus the theory of 'millions of years of evolution' goes up in 'warm-blooded mammalian smoke' ... and not for the first time ... I might add!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement