Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

PDN wrote: »
    It was in 1983 -so 27 years ago.

So not 25 ?
    The Three-Self Patriotic Movement is small in relation to China's population (even by 1993 its membership was only 7 million, or much less than 1% of the population).

Your point ?
    Also, membership, attendance or possession of a Bible is strictly prohibited to under 18s - so it would have been extremely unlikely for a university student in 1983 to have access to a Bible.

Oh really ? Chinese go to University much younger than us do they ? They're all graduated by 17-18 and have their doctorates by 20 ?
    The notion that Christianity was legalised in the 1980s, or indeed Bibles being available, is Communist propaganda, often swallowed by westerners.

Oh golly then I guess my Chinese friends who lived through that time are just mistaken and/or brainwashed. Perhaps they're suffering from doublethink. They couldn't possibly be right if evangelist propaganda says otherwise.
    The Three Self Patriotic Movement is a stooge operation, where 'clergy' are appointed and controlled by the Communist Party. Even in 1986, the Government restricted printing of Bibles to 60,000 a year (or one Bible per 20,000 people).

So now you've changed your tune again. First it was Christianity was illegal. Now it's 'REAL' Christianity was illegal.

I've seen the same rubbish peddled here before, people claiming China bans Christianity. The same people don't even bother to explain that there are state sanctioned Churches because it's detrimental to their propaganda.
    Untrue, but hey, you have your opinions and you don't want to listen to those who actually lived through Mao's reign of terror.

Your friend trumps mine why exactly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

monosharp wrote: »
    So not 25 ?
    Yes, my rounding a figure was so important, wasn't it? :rolleyes:
    Your point ?
    My point is that if the officially tolerated type of stooge-Christianity was so tiny in relation to the population in 1983, then it would hardly be surprising that a young man had no contact with them.
    Oh really ? Chinese go to University much younger than us do they ? They're all graduated by 17-18 and have their doctorates by 20 ?
    Nobody said anything that remotely suggested that.
    Oh golly then I guess my Chinese friends who lived through that time are just mistaken and/or brainwashed. Perhaps they're suffering from doublethink. They couldn't possibly be right if evangelist propaganda says otherwise.
    I've passed no judgement as to what any friends of yours remember or don't remember.
    So now you've changed your tune again. First it was Christianity was illegal. Now it's 'REAL' Christianity was illegal.
    Where did I say that all Christianity was illegal during the 1980s? Either link to the post where I said that or please withdraw the untrue and dishonest assertion that I said such a thing.
    I've seen the same rubbish peddled here before, people claiming China bans Christianity. The same people don't even bother to explain that there are state sanctioned Churches because it's detrimental to their propaganda.
    Well I suggest that you confine such remarks to people who make such claims. I have never denied the existence of the TSPM, nor have I claimed that China bans all Christianity. My references to China in this thread have been to the circumstances of certain individuals, not to any blanket ban. In posting the above words in this thread you are dishonestly implying that I have made any such claim.
    Your friend trumps mine why exactly ?
    I wouldn't dream of making such a puerile statement of someone trumping someone else. I am perfectly happy to accept that you may have friends who saw a Bible in the 1980s. I also believe my friend when he says he didn't. You are the one who appears to be trying to imply that someone's story is untrue.

Yes, my rounding a figure was so important, wasn't it? :rolleyes:

Makes no difference anyway. Christianity and therefore the Bible were made legal in 1979.
    My point is that if the officially tolerated type of stooge-Christianity was so tiny in relation to the population in 1983, then it would hardly be surprising that a young man had no contact with them.

Whereas nowadays the Christian population in China is so big as to mean that you'd have to be 'deaf and dumb 25 years ago to not know what the bible was'.

The Christian population is China at the moment is estimated at 3-4%.

Which isn't the point regardless. A lack of Christianity in a country says nothing about the legality of it. The fact of the matter is that there were Christian churches, it was legal and he could have gotten a legal copy of the Bible.
    I've passed no judgement as to what any friends of yours remember or don't remember.

It's funny how your friend just happens to 'remember' things in such a way as to suit your evangelist propaganda isn't it ?

I've called you out before on your mangling of the truth regarding China.
    Where did I say that all Christianity was illegal during the 1980s?

Let me just point out first for anyone else reading this that PDN has just inserted 'all' before Christianity which was not present in my post.

In this thread you stated;
    PDN wrote:
    The notion that Christianity was legalised in the 1980s, or indeed Bibles being available, is Communist propaganda, often swallowed by westerners.

Surely if you don't believe it was 'legalised' you believe it wasn't, meaning you believe it was illegal ?
    Either link to the post where I said that or please withdraw the untrue and dishonest assertion that I said such a thing.

Please remove the 'all' from your post and you might have a point.
    Well I suggest that you confine such remarks to people who make such claims. I have never denied the existence of the TSPM, nor have I claimed that China bans all Christianity.

No you've never denied it, you just have stated it as a sub-note if at all. You have made several posts and at least one thread where you make statements about the persecuted Church in China and how Christians are been tortured and killed for their religious belief. Then barely a mention of the state sanctioned Christianity which millions of people practice.

I have several Chinese friends many of whom are members of these state sanctioned churches and are as religious as anyone I've met back home.

You demean these people the way you talk about them and their church. Just because it doesn't suit your view, your branch of Christianity and your evangelist propaganda.

Yes the Chinese government doesn't allow anyone to come into their country and set up a religion without permission. Looking at what evangelism and many independent churches are doing in the rest of the world I can hardly blame them.
    In posting the above words in this thread you are dishonestly implying that I have made any such claim.

And you dishonestly changed the phrasing of my post to include the word 'all'.

Any chance of you apologising ? :pac:

monosharp wrote:
    Yes the Chinese government doesn't allow anyone to come into their country and set up a religion without permission.
    The Chinese government doesn't allow their own citizens to live in their own country and set up a church that is not controlled by the government.
    monosharp wrote:
    Looking at what evangelism and many independent churches are doing in the rest of the world I can hardly blame them.

Our discussion is over.

The Chinese government doesn't allow their own citizens to live in their own country and set up a church that is not controlled by the government.

The Chinese government allows very few things to be set up in their country that is not controlled by the government. That's Chinese law, it's their system. They aren't specifically targeting religion.

Who are you to tell them that their system is wrong ? Are you Chinese ? Do you hold citizenship of the Peoples Republic of China ?
    Our discussion is over.

Oh I'm sorry, am I not allowed mention anything bad about evangelism ? It's against the charter to talk about all the evil caused by some of these churches ?

btw may I extend my congrats for your skillful dodging of 90% of my post including where I called you out on your dishonest accusation against me.

• Advertisement

Oh I'm sorry, am I not allowed mention anything bad about evangelism ? It's against the charter to talk about all the evil caused by some of these churches ?

Who mentioned the Charter?

Like any other poster on this site (nothing to do with my role as a mod) I have a right to choose with whom I enter discussion or dialogue.

Some posters put others on ignore because they object to their posting style and habits (eg if a poster habitually misrepresents them or lies about them).

Others posters decide, on the basis of what someone has posted, that they are not the kind of human being with whom they desire to have any interaction or discussion.

You posted:
    monosharp wrote:
    Yes the Chinese government doesn't allow anyone to come into their country and set up a religion without permission. Looking at what evangelism and many independent churches are doing in the rest of the world I can hardly blame them.

I have personally spent a lot of time counselling and helping some of those in China who have been tortured, maimed, raped, and bereaved of family members through the Chinese government policy of religious oppression and denial of human rights.

Therefore I have every right to choose not to engage in any further discussion with someone who could post the words I've quoted above. For the same reason I would not enter into dialogue on boards.ie with neo-nazis who justify the gassing of Jews, Islamists who support or approve of the rape of women in Somalia, or anyone who advocates or supports violations of basic human rights. I don't spend time chatting with such people in the real world, and I will not do so in the virtual world.

I promise you that, in my dealings with you as a mod, I will endeavour to treat you like any other poster, and so long as your posts don't contravene the Charter there should be no problems there.

We've had plenty of threads and posts in this forum that have said bad things about evangelism - and they get treated the same as threads or posts that say bad things about Catholics, Jehovahs Witnesses, or any other sect or denomination.

But our discussion is over. You are not the kind of person with whom I wish to have any interaction whatsoever other than as I am obliged to do so in my duties as a moderator.

I have personally spent a lot of time counselling and helping some of those in China who have been tortured, maimed, raped, and bereaved of family members through the Chinese government policy of religious oppression and denial of human rights.

The Chinese government allows religion and regardless of your insulting opinion of the state sanctioned religious churches in China and the religious believers who participate in these churches, that is a fact. I've met many Chinese who participate in these same churches you insult and are very religious.

The Chinese government simply require organisations to be monitored, to have a degree of control over them. Whether or not you or I agree with that is not the point. It is Chinese law and as Chinese law everyone and every organisation in China is subject to it.

The arrogance of some people is simply mind blowing. Do Evangelists expect the Chinese government to make an exception for them because they are a religion ?

You would have a point if we were talking about Christianity been banned, I'd be right there beside you crying foul, but Christianity is NOT banned. Organisations independent from the state are banned, religious or otherwise.
    Therefore I have every right to choose not to engage in any further discussion with someone who could post the words I've quoted above.

Want to be a Christian in China ? No problem, go to a state registered church.

The 1982 Constitution in China guarantees citizens the right to any religion. Sure it's not the same as religious freedom as we know it in Europe but it's very far from the way you constantly describe it here.

The simple fact is independent organisations are a political issue in China. I don't agree with it, but it's a fact. It's the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

monosharp, this is a ridiculous argument. PDN has experience of the underground church in China, and has seen it first hand. You claim that the Chinese legalise a form of Christianity that is agreeable to them. Correct.

What China does not do is allow for full freedom of religion, and for people to subscribe to their own beliefs in whatever way they wish.

Do you think that freedom of assembly is a right that all people should have or not? If you do, then China is in gross violation of this principle.

The way we have it currently in most Western countries is that people can set up churches freely irrespective of what creed they happen to join to, they can meet together freely, they can discuss their beliefs freely and worship freely.

It's kind of like saying that if you study philosophy in China, they will only let you study Epicurus. If you study Anixamander, or Plato you will be put in jail. Absolutely ridiculous. Freedom of thought and expression is key! If you like philosophy, you can go and study Epicurus with the rest of those philosophy folk. Don't try to study anyone else!

Jakkass wrote: »
    monosharp, this is a ridiculous argument. PDN has experience of the underground church in China, and has seen it first hand. You claim that the Chinese legalise a form of Christianity that is agreeable to them. Correct.

I never for a second suggested he didn't experience it first hand.
    What China does not do is allow for full freedom of religion, and for people to subscribe to their own beliefs in whatever way they wish.

Absolutely and I don't agree with them and I think it should be changed.

But my point is that PDN is trying to make a religious issue out of a political one, he purposely concentrates on only that aspect and he also exaggerates it.

Yes Christians in China are been oppressed. But equally Yes, Christians in China are not been oppressed.

China oppress some religious people who act against the law, a law which is there for political reasons, not religious. A law which applies to all religions, not just Christian denominations.

Of course it's a despicable thing that Christians are been oppressed in China, but it's not because of their religion, it's because they are going against the system. They might as well get a 'Free Tibet' tattoo on their forehead and run around Beijing, they'd get the same treatment.

I'm annoyed by PDN's comments because;

A) He dismisses and insults the state sanctioned churches of which many of the members are friends of mine. I don't know what denomination you are jakkass but do you really think it's appropriate to insult these people's churches simply because you don't agree with the governments monitoring ?

B) He purposely tries to get across the image that these people are been oppressed for religious reasons, for their belief in God, for their belief in Jesus Christ. That's utter nonsense, they are been oppressed because they are members of an organisation which has not registered itself to the government. There are millions of Christians in China who are members of the state sanctioned churches, do they not have a belief in God or Jesus Christ ?

C) I'll get banned if I say it.
    Do you think that freedom of assembly is a right that all people should have or not? If you do, then China is in gross violation of this principle.

Oh absolutely. I'm a very strong admirer of George Orwell actually and I despise anything which brings us closer to a 1984 style government.

But this is a political issue, not a religious one. These aren't Christians been fed to the lions for their beliefs.
    The way we have it currently in most Western countries is that people can set up churches freely irrespective of what creed they happen to join to, they can meet together freely, they can discuss their beliefs freely and worship freely.

Yes. But China isn't a Western country.

Jakkass forgive me but I am not arguing on behalf of the Chinese government, I agree that people should be allowed to set up churches or whatever else they want to irrespective of belief and meet freely.
    It's kind of like saying that if you study philosophy in China, they will only let you study Epicurus. If you study Anixamander, or Plato you will be put in jail. Absolutely ridiculous. Freedom of thought and expression is key! If you like philosophy, you can go and study Epicurus with the rest of those philosophy folk. Don't try to study anyone else!

Well I'm in agreement mostly but it's not exactly the same thing now is it ? They haven't banned the bible for example. But anyways I do agree.

But presently the Chinese government require such organisations to register with them. This is a political issue and needs political change. China is slowly becoming more liberal. Every year we see changes, we see progress. A few years ago it was impossible to be openly homosexual in China. Members of the Communist Party are technically required to be atheist but many of them are openly religious nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Yes Christians in China are been oppressed. But equally Yes, Christians in China are not been oppressed.

There is something very wrong with this statement and all the verbiage that accompanies it. Troubling words from monosharp.

• Advertisement

Absolutely and I don't agree with them and I think it should be changed.

That's really all that needs to be said in a legal context.
    But my point is that PDN is trying to make a religious issue out of a political one, he purposely concentrates on only that aspect and he also exaggerates it.

As I see it PDN hasn't exaggerated anything. Christians who do not belong to the State approved church are abused, beaten, raped, and in some cases killed from what I have heard of it.

As far as I know, the majority of Christians in China are being oppressed.
    China oppress some religious people who act against the law, a law which is there for political reasons, not religious. A law which applies to all religions, not just Christian denominations.

Agreed. It's still horrific. It needs to be said that a majority of Christians have been treated in this way. This is on the Christianity forum, and as such Christianity will be discussed. I oppose such treatment of all faiths.
    Of course it's a despicable thing that Christians are been oppressed in China, but it's not because of their religion, it's because they are going against the system. They might as well get a 'Free Tibet' tattoo on their forehead and run around Beijing, they'd get the same treatment.

It's because of their religion. Precisely because their religious conscience forces them to go against the system. Don't be so disingenuous.
    A) He dismisses and insults the state sanctioned churches of which many of the members are friends of mine. I don't know what denomination you are jakkass but do you really think it's appropriate to insult these people's churches simply because you don't agree with the governments monitoring ?

Personally PDN can say what he wishes about them. I'm fairly sure he knows more about it than I do. I replied to you because I felt your claim that PDN was overplaying persecution was clearly wrong.
    B) He purposely tries to get across the image that these people are been oppressed for religious reasons, for their belief in God, for their belief in Jesus Christ. That's utter nonsense, they are been oppressed because they are members of an organisation which has not registered itself to the government. There are millions of Christians in China who are members of the state sanctioned churches, do they not have a belief in God or Jesus Christ ?

And they are. Their faith of largely Evangelical character which convicts them to set up their own churches causes them to be persecuted.
    Oh absolutely. I'm a very strong admirer of George Orwell actually and I despise anything which brings us closer to a 1984 style government.

But this is a political issue, not a religious one. These aren't Christians been fed to the lions for their beliefs.

It's both. Christians are being killed, raped, tortured in jails in China for their conviction. I find it wholly unreasonable but not unsurprising to be honest with you that you are doing this.
    Yes. But China isn't a Western country.

This doesn't justify their treatment of Christians.
    Jakkass forgive me but I am not arguing on behalf of the Chinese government, I agree that people should be allowed to set up churches or whatever else they want to irrespective of belief and meet freely.

You're downplaying the treatment that these people receive.
    Well I'm in agreement mostly but it's not exactly the same thing now is it ? They haven't banned the bible for example. But anyways I do agree.

I remember PDN saying that they do restrict Biblical study before. I'll like to ask him the opportunity to discuss this in more detail when he can.

There is something very wrong with this statement and all the verbiage that accompanies it. Troubling words from monosharp.

Christians in China are been oppressed = Christians who are not members of the state sanctioned churches.
    Christians in china are not been oppressed = Christians who are members of the state sanctioned churches.

I have friends who are members of the state sanctioned churches.

As I see it PDN hasn't exaggerated anything. Christians who do not belong to the State approved church are abused, beaten, raped, and in some cases killed from what I have heard of it.

All of them ? some of them ? All the time ? Most of the time ?

This isn't the Romans hunting down Christians for their religious beliefs. This is a government seeking to maintain strict political control and as part of that regularly cracks down on groups it considers detrimental to that control.
    As far as I know, the majority of Christians in China are being oppressed.

I don't agree or disagree but I fail to see the point ?
    Agreed. It's still horrific. It needs to be said that a majority of Christians have been treated in this way. This is on the Christianity forum, and as such Christianity will be discussed. I oppose such treatment of all faiths.

Thank you.
    It's because of their religion. Precisely because their religious conscience forces them to go against the system. Don't be so disingenuous.

So the people who attend the state churches are what exactly ?

They have decided to interpret their religion in a certain way which is incompatible with the current system. But there are other people who interpret that same religion in a different way and its perfectly compatible with the current system.
    Personally PDN can say what he wishes about them.

You don't think thats wrong ?
    And they are. Their faith of largely Evangelical character which convicts them to set up their own churches causes them to be persecuted.

And I have no problem with that statement because you pointed out that it was them setting up their own churches which causes the persecution.
    It's both. Christians are being killed, raped, tortured in jails in China for their conviction. I find it wholly unreasonable but not unsurprising to be honest with you that you are doing this.

If you insist on making religious belief something so specific then I suppose you could say that. But what I don't like is pretending it's a basic belief in Christianity which causes the persecution.
    This doesn't justify their treatment of Christians.

Of course not, but it helps to explain it.
    You're downplaying the treatment that these people receive.

Where did I do that ?
    I remember PDN saying that they do restrict Biblical study before. I'll like to ask him the opportunity to discuss this in more detail when he can.

I believe he might have been referring to holding group biblical study sessions in private homes etc in which case he'd be correct.

I have friends who are members of the state sanctioned churches.

So what? This isn't about comparing your mates to PDN's mates.

So what? This isn't about comparing your mates to PDN's mates.

You said my statement was troubling, I explained it.

Care to elaborate what's troubling about it ?

You said my statement was troubling, I explained it.

But I didn't ask for an explanation :confused:
    Care to elaborate what's troubling about it ?

For exactly the same reason why any discussion you have on Christianity turns out to be troubling - your hated is palpable and you present a confused message of tolerance for religious all practice and attack.

All of them ? some of them ? All the time ? Most of the time ?

A majority of Christians are deemed to be acting against the law in China. A large amount of Christians who have been arrested in China have been subjected to such horrific conditions.
    This isn't the Romans hunting down Christians for their religious beliefs. This is a government seeking to maintain strict political control and as part of that regularly cracks down on groups it considers detrimental to that control.

It's very similar to the Romans actually. I'm fairly sure that they deemed Christians being detrimental to their control in the region telling people to believe in Jesus first and foremost above the Emperor or human authorities.
    I don't agree or disagree but I fail to see the point ?

The point is that this is horrific, and your downplaying of this is fairly appalling. From what I see PDN is being fair in his assessment, you are twisting the truth for your own purposes.
    Thank you.

For what? Being opposed to severe human rights violations?
    So the people who attend the state churches are what exactly ?

A minority of Christians who believe in a State acceptable form of Christianity. The believers who wish to worship as they want rather than following a church with state interference are forced on the basis of conscience and belief to practice illegally.
    They have decided to interpret their religion in a certain way which is incompatible with the current system. But there are other people who interpret that same religion in a different way and its perfectly compatible with the current system.

The current system is fundamentally unjust. Your apologetics for the Chinese government are really astounding at this point.
    You don't think thats wrong ?

In comparison to what you've said so far? Absolutely not. It's benign in comparison to how you are belittling disgraceful human rights abuses.
    And I have no problem with that statement because you pointed out that it was them setting up their own churches which causes the persecution.

You're using the victim is guilty mentality. Denying religious freedom is a failure of the Chinese. Desiring to set up a church is not a failure of the persecuted.
    If you insist on making religious belief something so specific then I suppose you could say that. But what I don't like is pretending it's a basic belief in Christianity which causes the persecution.

It's specific to say that a majority of Chinese Christians are subject to persecution? Not at all. A majority of Christians who do not wish to follow a church with state-interference are subject to persecution on a regular basis.
    Of course not, but it helps to explain it.

I didn't ask for an explanation.
    Where did I do that ?

In both this response and the last response by giving a blasé response that these people should just join the State church and be quiet effectively.
    I believe he might have been referring to holding group biblical study sessions in private homes etc in which case he'd be correct.

Why should that be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Wicknight wrote: »
    The question isn't if this can happen. We know it can happen. Anyone with an odd super computer lying around can model the chemical interactions that lead to self replicating complex molecules.

Unfortunately in an unguided process the earth as it was then didn't have programmers or supercomputers lying around to calculate the possibility of anything happening before it could have occurred, it could not have been programmed with a desired result because there was no desired result. Out of the possible combinations of amino acid base sequences, the sequence that produced the first self replication life system is minusculelinlgy small, so the chances of this particular sequence coming together just at a time in earth's history where the conditions would have benefited it are staggeringly infinitesimally minute as to be impossible. It would be like going into a casino and playing roulette on 100 different wheels all of which came out as you individually gambled on them to do on the first spin. If you witnessed this happening you would have no hesitiation in putting it down as a fix because you know that this just cannot happen even in a hundred million billion trillion tries.

Just because we can demonstrate it occurring in a computer simulation today means nothing. You can pre-program a computer simulation to give you whatever kind of desired result that you want. The difference between that and basic chemicals on a prebiotic earth is that chemicals do not know what they will produce if they arrange themselves in any particular order nor do they care. Chemicals are chemicals, you cannot apply Darwinian principles to them because Darwinian evolution - i.e. Natural Selection acing on random mutations - doesn't work with chemicals, only on living systems themselves, and as they were not around at this time so we cannot apply Darwinian principles to them. Therefore you must devise a better mechanism other than Darwinian evolution to explain how the first living cell came about. ID thus far is the best explanation. That does not mean that I think that NS acting on RM is a bad explanation as to how life evolved from that first living system, in fact it is probably the best scientific explanation for this but it does not and never will be able to explain how life came about hence it will always beg the question and will always leave that gap.

"The cell is a simple homogeneous globule of plasm." T.H. Huxley 1869 (aka Darwin's bulldog)

Mr Huxley's statement above just goes to show that Darwinian principles cannot be applied as a mechanism to bring about information at the cellular level thus rendering them impotent as an explanation for this early stage of the development of life on our planet.
    Meyer's work has been roundly criticized by scientists in this field as being inaccurate, misrepresentative and some times stupid

They are entitled to think that but I submit that they are wrong having actually read the book myself.
    Good example here from a review of The Signature Cell

http://www.councilforresponsiblegenetics.org/GeneWatch/GeneWatchPage.aspx?pageId=268

Secondly, Meyers’s use of the concept of “information” to describe the workings of molecular biology—though the near-universal idiom of that field—is problematic because it conflates the metaphoric with the literal meaning of the term. While it serves certain explanatory and pedagogical aims to speak as if DNA were “written” in a “language,” these are merely metaphors for what are fundamentally causal, bimolecular relationships.

Information as we define it in our terms is a bad analogy in the sense that it doesn't really say it all. What goes on in even the simplest of cells is nothing short of miraculous. Information is not only there, but it is encoded, decoded, replicated, transported, executed etc etc... We know of only of one cause that can produce this kind of nano engineering and that only comes from the minds of intelligent agents. HENCE! An intelligence other than our own was responsible for kick starting life on this planet.
    To say that DNA carries information about proteins is like saying that smoke carries information about fire. While this may be true in a very weak sense, it would be absurd to claim that fire transmits information about itself via smoke. Because there is no true “information” in DNA—merely a set of biochemical affinities and molecular mechanisms—Meyers’s argument falters yet again. Thus, only by way of a fundamental misunderstanding of the human genome can Meyers conclude that DNA offers evidence of intelligent design.

Utter balderdash. This guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Meyer uses the term information like any biologist would use it in his day to day activities. It is widely accepted that information processing takes place at the cellular level and beyond. I'm amazed at the lengths some people will go to discredit someone.
    I have written more than 10 lines of code but I've also written genetic algorithms which I suspect this reviewer knows little about.

Exactly, you've written the algorithms with the express purpose of producing a desired result. In an unguided process on a prebiotic earth however, this would never have happened, because there was no desired outcome to bring about in the first place. Trial an error doesn't cut it because there is no feedback system by which the process could be improved in order for any 'desired' outcome to be brought about. Survival of the fittest does not work with chemicals or chemical compounds. You need to devise a better model if you want to replace ID as the best possible theory which explains how the first self replicating system came about.
    You can evolve computer programs to perform a task without the you knowing how they are going to perform this. This is in essence removing the intelligence from the computer code. You don't know how it actually works and thus you cannot have designed it, and the computer doesn't know how it actually works since it is a dump computer and couldn't have intelligently designed it either. You produce a dumb program that still manages to produce the desired output. No intelligence, the intelligence is removed, thus it is not intelligently designed.

Computer programs are intelligently designed. Even if you design a program to have no intelligence in order to simulate something you want as the outcome, you are still programming it. Ponds of chemical slime do not do this. There is no desired outcome. There's just chemicals being chemicals. You need outside input to arrange the chemicals in a specific sequence to produce a self replicating molecule, and given the amount of possible combinations that will not produce this, believing that an unguided process just happened upon the right sequence of chemical properties in just the right place is a leap of faith beyond any religion I know.

A majority of Christians are deemed to be acting against the law in China.

Again, maybe they are a majority. Would it make it better if they were a minority ? :confused:
    A large amount of Christians who have been arrested in China have been subjected to such horrific conditions.

Yes indeed. Those that have been arrested.

Perhaps you don't know or you just don't want to say it but the government largely leaves these churches alone and has largely left them alone since the early 1990's. The government, in effect, largely ignores them.
    It's very similar to the Romans actually. I'm fairly sure that they deemed Christians being detrimental to their control in the region telling people to believe in Jesus first and foremost above the Emperor or human authorities.

Actually your right it probably was similar in that respect.
    The point is that this is horrific, and your downplaying of this is fairly appalling. From what I see PDN is being fair in his assessment, you are twisting the truth for your own purposes.

How am I downplaying it ? I have never said anything except how horrific it is and it should be changed. If you mean my corrections against evangelist propaganda then damn right I am downplaying it because its utter nonsense.

The underground churches in china are not been hunted down like Jews in Nazi Germany like evangelism puts across, the underground churches are mostly left alone and ignored. The authorities simply don't care, don't see them as a threat.
    The current system is fundamentally unjust. Your apologetics for the Chinese government are really astounding at this point.

Of course it's completely unjust, I never said otherwise. And I am not apologising for the Chinese, I am simply pointing out that the situation is been greatly exaggerated by evangelist propaganda.
    It's specific to say that a majority of Chinese Christians are subject to persecution? Not at all. A majority of Christians who do not wish to follow a church with state-interference are subject to persecution on a regular basis.

Thats not true. Nowadays they are largely tolerated/ignored by the authorities. As I've already said, the major incidents of persecution come about not as anything to do with religious practice but as part of other activities which the authorities see may lead to civil unrest.
    Why should that be a problem?

To the Chinese government ? It's not, they largely ignore them nowadays. The Chinese authorities are worried about civil unrest caused by religious groups, look at Falon Gong for example. They are also afraid of foreign influences on the Chinese people because of these religions especially Catholicism by the Pope in Rome.

The simple fact of the matter is that since the early 90's the government has been progressively tolerant to christian underground churches.

Of course I agree that they shouldn't be against the law at all and any persecution is wrong, but my problem is with the exaggerated propaganda of evangelism.

"The cell is a simple homogeneous globule of plasm." T.H. Huxley 1869 (aka Darwin's bulldog)

Mr Huxley's statement above just goes to show that Darwinian principles cannot be applied as a mechanism to bring about information at the cellular level thus rendering them impotent as an explanation for this early stage of the development of life on our planet.

1869, cutting edge biology eh ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

1869, cutting edge biology eh ?

Was that all you found questionable about my post? Cool :)

Anyway it was Wicknight who brought up applying Darwinian principles not me. Huxley's statement reveals just how far Darwinian principles can go. Oh its come on a bit since then for sure but still not enough to be applied to chemical self assemblage into information storage, coding, decoding, transporting, replicating, executing etc etc...

Was that all you found questionable about my post? Cool :)

T'was 2am and I was tired.
    Anyway it was Wicknight who brought up applying Darwinian principles not me. Huxley's statement reveals just how far Darwinian principles can go.

It does ? Even though it was made nearly 150 years ago ? You really want to say that ?
    Oh its come on a bit since then for sure but still not enough to be applied to chemical self assemblage into information storage, coding, decoding, transporting, replicating, executing etc etc...

So this is fake yes ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2%80%93Urey_experiment

Again, maybe they are a majority. Would it make it better if they were a minority ? :confused:

It's just to counteract your downplaying of the numbers.
    Yes indeed. Those that have been arrested.

Indeed, and people continue to be.
    Perhaps you don't know or you just don't want to say it but the government largely leaves these churches alone and has largely left them alone since the early 1990's. The government, in effect, largely ignores them.

If that were true, how come Christians are still being arrested on a regular basis according to all reliable sources.

How come a mere Google search can tell you of arrests in China based on Christianity well within the last decade, never mind the 1990's.

By the by, how come PDN was denied a visa to China if the Chinese government just ignore them, or "don't care"?
    How am I downplaying it ? I have never said anything except how horrific it is and it should be changed. If you mean my corrections against evangelist propaganda then damn right I am downplaying it because its utter nonsense.

Doubting the numbers, doubting all news reports concerning arrests in the last 10 years, doubting PDN's eye testimony having been in the underground churches. There's no propaganda here. It's just you downplaying the facts.
    The underground churches in china are not been hunted down like Jews in Nazi Germany like evangelism puts across, the underground churches are mostly left alone and ignored. The authorities simply don't care, don't see them as a threat.

They are arrested on a regular basis even from a news point of view. Even then if we are to consider the arrests that don't feature on the news I should probably suspect that it is much higher than reported.
    Of course it's completely unjust, I never said otherwise. And I am not apologising for the Chinese, I am simply pointing out that the situation is been greatly exaggerated by evangelist propaganda.

Except, that it isn't. You're downplaying severe human rights abuses.
    Thats not true. Nowadays they are largely tolerated/ignored by the authorities. As I've already said, the major incidents of persecution come about not as anything to do with religious practice but as part of other activities which the authorities see may lead to civil unrest.

Keep saying these sorts of things, but the evidence indicates otherwise. Unless you can provide evidence of things being otherwise, that is. They are still persecuted because they are Christians. By the by what "other activities" are you speaking of?
    To the Chinese government ? It's not, they largely ignore them nowadays. The Chinese authorities are worried about civil unrest caused by religious groups, look at Falon Gong for example. They are also afraid of foreign influences on the Chinese people because of these religions especially Catholicism by the Pope in Rome.

Again you're simply not going to be believed if the evidence goes against your current position.
    The simple fact of the matter is that since the early 90's the government has been progressively tolerant to christian underground churches.

I've already dealt with this above.
    Of course I agree that they shouldn't be against the law at all and any persecution is wrong, but my problem is with the exaggerated propaganda of evangelism.

There isn't any exaggerated propaganda. Your downplaying of the reality is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Unfortunately in an unguided process the earth as it was then didn't have programmers or supercomputers lying around to calculate the possibility of anything happening before it could have occurred, it could not have been programmed with a desired result because there was no desired result.
    I'm not sure what you are referring to with that? Desired result of what?

These computers model the chemical interactions of atoms and molecules. Like a super computer modeling weather patterns.

From these models we know that simple self replicating molecules can and will form in circumstances similar to the early Earth, and we know that these molecules can and will evolve into more complex self replicating molecules.

So the question isn't can this happen. It hasn't been can this happen for 20 years.

The question is in what manner did it happen on Earth. We don't know how it happened on Earth, and knowing it can happen isn't the same as knowing how it did. There are a lot of different ways it can happen, knowing which one happened on Earth will give better insight into why we are the type of life we are.
    Out of the possible combinations of amino acid base sequences, the sequence that produced the first self replication life system is minusculelinlgy small, so the chances of this particular sequence coming together just at a time in earth's history where the conditions would have benefited it are staggeringly infinitesimally minute as to be impossible.

That is a lie.

Sorry to be so blunt but it is getting a bit tiresome having to constantly repeat that the above is Creationist nonsense.
    Just because we can demonstrate it occurring in a computer simulation today means nothing.

No, it means we can demonstrate it occurring in a computer simulation. How accurate the simulation is will determine how confident we can say it can happen in the real world. These computer simulations are very accurate.
    You can pre-program a computer simulation to give you whatever kind of desired result that you want.
    You apparently don't understand what a computer simulation is.

Do you think the weather forecasters pre-program the weather simulators to give them the "desired result"?

"I would like it to be sunny tomorrow computer, make it so!" :rolleyes:
    The difference between that and basic chemicals on a prebiotic earth is that chemicals do not know what they will produce if they arrange themselves in any particular order nor do they care. Chemicals are chemicals, you cannot apply Darwinian principles to them because Darwinian evolution - i.e. Natural Selection acing on random mutations - doesn't work with chemicals, only on living systems themselves

Darwinian principles work on anything that is self replicating and that received feedback. They are not restricted to biological life and in fact are used all the time in things that have nothing to do with biological life, such as genetic algorithms and machine learning.

These molecules are self replicating and received feedback from the environment, thus Darwinian principles apply.

Huxley was wrong. Which isn't particularly surprising, did you check the date of when he said that? You are quoting me something said in 1869 to demonstrate that evolution can't explain cells? Really?
    They are entitled to think that but I submit that they are wrong having actually read the book myself.

Well they are evolutionary biologists. You aren't. So let me think about this for a minute .... :P

Put it this way, how impressed would you be by a book from an atheist author that links Jesus to a pedophile cult that is roundly criticized by historians and Biblical scholars as being completely wrong in how it presents the Bible?
    Information as we define it in our terms is a bad analogy in the sense that it doesn't really say it all. What goes on in even the simplest of cells is nothing short of miraculous. Information is not only there, but it is encoded, decoded, replicated, transported, executed etc etc... We know of only of one cause that can produce this kind of nano engineering and that only comes from the minds of intelligent agents. HENCE! An intelligence other than our own was responsible for kick starting life on this planet.

That is stupid reasoning. Excusable before Darwin, inexcusable after Darwin.
    Utter balderdash. This guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Meyer uses the term information like any biologist would use it in his day to day activities. It is widely accepted that information processing takes place at the cellular level and beyond. I'm amazed at the lengths some people will go to discredit someone.

You appreciate that this guy actually is a biologist (a geneticist to be precise). You aren't. Neither is Meyer.

Again let me think about this for a minute ... :P
    Exactly, you've written the algorithms with the express purpose of producing a desired result.

No I haven't. That is the point. If I knew how to write an algorithm to produce the desired result I wouldn't need to use genetic algorithms.

The whole point is that you don't know how it is going to do it. Therefore you can't write an algorithm to produce the desired result, you write an algorithm to simulated Darwinian principles and let the algorithm get on with it. You check if you have the desired result or not but that is independent to the algorithm. It has not no idea what the desired result is or if it has reached it.
    Trial an error doesn't cut it because there is no feedback system by which the process could be improved in order for any 'desired' outcome to be brought about.
    The environment is the feedback system (as we have explained to you many many times).

The self replicating molecules stops replicating (essentially dies) if it cannot continue in the environment. Only those molecules that have evolved the ability to do so continue to replicate.
    Survival of the fittest does not work with chemicals or chemical compounds.
    Of course it does. Self replicating molecules require other molecules to reproduce. This is essentially "food" for want of a better term. They can also stop replicating if this food is not present or if the environment shifts to prevent them doing so. This is essentially dying for want of a better term. Self replicating molecules can also change how they replicate. This is essentially mutation for want of a better term.

All these things allow survival of the fittest and natural selection to take place.
    You need to devise a better model if you want to replace ID as the best possible theory which explains how the first self replicating system came about.

You need to learn about the subjects you feel happy denouncing as impossible. Your ignorance on this subjection coupled with your arrogance to declare that it is impossible is quite frustrating.
    Computer programs are intelligently designed.
    Yes they are. If though you are implying that then if they simulate a natural process (such as chemical interactions) that means these natural processes are also intelligently design you need to have a think about what the computers in Met Eireann are currently doing simulating tomorrows weather forecast.
    Even if you design a program to have no intelligence in order to simulate something you want as the outcome, you are still programming it. Ponds of chemical slime do not do this. There is no desired outcome. There's just chemicals being chemicals.
    And they either replicate or they don't replicate. The ones that done you never hear of again. The ones that do and evolve to survive continue to do so.
    You need outside input to arrange the chemicals in a specific sequence to produce a self replicating molecule
    No you don't as has been demonstrated many many times by biologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Soulwinner, my previous post to you answered all the objections you have.
    To rule out abiogenesis, you must first

A) Know what natural chance event must be considered.
    B) Calculate the probability of that event occuring by chance.

IDers will happily calculate the probability of complex sequences occuring by chance, but they have never established that these complex sequences could not have evolved from simpler, less complex sequences. Indeed, much of abiogenesis is the application of Darwinism to molecular structures. So until IDers have A sorted, they're not really saying anything productive.

If there is abiogenesis (a replicator emerging by chance) and Darwinism, there is complexity emerging naturally from simple chemistry.

So feel free to reference Meyer's book in telling us what the simplest replicator is, and hence, what the smallest chance event that needs to occur is.

Morbert wrote: »
    Soulwinner, my previous post to you answered all the objections you have.

If there is abiogenesis (a replicator emerging by chance) and Darwinism, there is complexity emerging naturally from simple chemistry.

So feel free to reference Meyer's book in telling us what the simplest replicator is, and hence, what the smallest chance event that needs to occur is.

Good point. Creationists always assume the simplest replicator is actually something biologists consider quite complex that emerged much later from simpler replicators, replicators that we can and have produced in the lab.

It is like asking what are the odds that the Mississippi would just form as is, when in fact no geological theory in the world assumes the Mississippi just formed as is, but rather it was a river that grew towards the sea.

Creationists are great for their straw mans but they shouldn't really be that surprised when these straw man objections don't mean much to biologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

So the question isn't can this happen. It hasn't been can this happen for 20 years.

The question is in what manner did it happen on Earth. We don't know how it happened on Earth, and knowing it can happen isn't the same as knowing how it did. There are a lot of different ways it can happen, knowing which one happened on Earth will give better insight into why we are the type of life we are.

The question might not be can it happen . It could happen if the science which points to the conditions on early earth etc. is correct. The question then becomes "did it happen?". The question you suggest above, which presumes it did happen, isn't scientific.

The question might not be can it happen . It could happen if the science which points to the conditions on early earth etc. is correct. The question then becomes "did it happen?". The question you suggest above, which presumes it did happen, isn't scientific.

The question isn't did it happen. We know life developed on Earth. We are here and we have tons of fossils showing we (life) have been here for a long time. We didn't all just get beamed here 6,000 years ago. It did happen. The question is how.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

The question isn't did it happen. We know life developed on Earth.

If I've seen it pointed out once by materialists I've seen it pointed out a thousand times "thou shalt not conflate development of life (evolution) with origin of life (abiogenesis)". So how come you've made the leap?

• Advertisement

If I've seen it pointed out once by materialists I've seen it pointed out a thousand times "thou shalt not conflate development of life (evolution) with origin of life (abiogenesis)". So how come you've made the leap?

What leap? Life was on Earth. The question is how did that happen, not if it did happen. If you want to argue that life wasn't on Earth 3 billion years ago go ahead but you are contradicted by the fossil record.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement