Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

But that's what we were discussing all along, that much should have been blatantly obvious to you, plus even if it wasn't, my definition hardly qualifies as deeply ignorant and inaccurate now does it?

You have stated a number of times that chemicals cannot evolve by the process of Darwinian evolution and you have used this as the basis for the assertion that there must have been an intelligence acting upon these chemicals to get to them to the point of early life.

A few examples
    Natural Selection theoretically can only kick in after the first self replication systems comes about, so how on earth can you apply natural selection to a pond full of chemicals that do what they do according to the laws that govern them i.e. the laws of physics?????? ???? Natural Selection doesn't work at this level, it can't
    So if natural selection cannot be applied to the chemical constituents which go to make up basic self replicating molecules then the advent of life on this planet is either a fluke (as Wicknight suggest) or it was designed.

That is deeply ignorant and inaccurate. It is the equivalent of saying that Neptune cannot have an atmosphere because aerodynamics only applies to things on Earth.
    We were specifically talking about applying Darwinian principles to self replicating systems.
    Correct, in fact Darwinian principles only apply to self replicating systems, so that much is redundant. Darwinian evolution is a description of how self replicating systems can evolve.

Your mistake is thinking that it only applies to life. It doesn't, it can apply to any self replicating system, including chemicals.
    An admission to being incorrect in your assessment to my definition and an apology to me would have sufficed and saved a lot of time.

Your definition was wrong on a number of levels.

Excusable before this has been explained to you. But it was repeated even after this was explained to you.
    I said that Mobert and I agreed to define life as any self replicating system. If non-living chemicals self replicate, then we must define them as life also, are we willing to do this? Are self replicating chemicals living systems?

No, that would be stupid. A self replicating genetic algorithm isn't alive in any biological sense. Neither is a self replicating molecule.

Rather than trying to back track by defining any self replicating system as "alive" a far easier route would be to simply admit now Darwinian principles can be applied to non-living systems, a claim you originally refuted.
    So we cannot define life as a self replicating system, correct? If that is so then how can we define what a living system is?

What? I just said life was a self replicating system, but not the only one. Your response is to proclaim we can't say life is self replicating system? What?
    I wasn't aware that chemicals can make replicates of themselves.

I'm aware of that. Perhaps in future it is better not to proclaim something is impossible without understanding it.
    Can you give us an example of this please? Too lazy to Google :)
    RNA occurs naturally.
    So the specific sequencing of nucleotide bases in the DNA of the most basic living system can naturally configured itself into that specific sequence?

DNA isn't the most basic configuration. It is estimated DNA appeared a 600 million years of evolution. RNA or something like it is considered the initial molecule.
    You do know that these sequences are part of the genetic code which has to be decoded and executed throughout other parts of the organism don't you?
    You do know there isn't a scientist alive (other than Creationists) who think DNA just formed?

The first cells only appeared after 1 billion years of evolution. We don't even know if DNA was present then
    So even if the chemicals could naturally come together to form the physical structure of the molecule, from whence comes the information that tells the various other parts of the cell what they need to do in order to decode, transport and execute their instructions etc in order to get proper function for the cell as a whole? Are you seriously suggesting that this process just occurs by necessity given the laws that govern the formation of chemicals?

From 1 billion years of evolution. Think of the cell as the end result of this process (abiogensis) not the start. The start is a simple self replicating molecule.
    We know that the universe didn't start out having all the heavy elements that go to make up life, that we needed a certain amount of time for stars and galaxies to eventually form and produce the heavier elements in the cores later on, elements that go to make up life eventually, and that part of these basic elements include amino acids, proteins and so forth, which are themselves a combination of various other basic elements. But the question remains, how can they all have come together in the correct sequence which go to make up livings systems when we consider the unimaginable number of other possible combinations that they could have combined into which don't make up living systems?

There isn't an unimaginable number of other possible combinations if you understand the basic laws of chemistry.

It is like saying what are the odds of a rock falling down in a straight light when there is an infinite number of directions it could have fallen (ie up 30 degress, to the left 45 degrees)

Of course the question seems silly to us because we know things only fall down because of the law of gravity.

Likewise there isn't an unimaginable number of possible combinations of these molecules if you understand which can form naturally and which can't.
    So basically what your saying is that life came about by of the workings of the laws of chemistry?

Yes, exactly. Given enough time and enough space life is the inevitable conclusion of the basic lasws of chemistry

OK, then what are the most basic living systems? We don't know if DNA evolved from a simpler state but even if we conceded that it did, - say it evolved from RNA or something - then we must explain how RNA could have naturally formed by the simple laws of chemistry working on basic chemicals, as Wick seems to be suggesting.

Yes we do. That is what 95% of evolutionary biologists working this area are working on. What are the conditions that produce RNA. And a lot of progress has been made in this area in the last 15 years.
    In any case what we seem to have departed from is how we are suppose to apply Darwinian principles i.e. natural selection acting on random mutations at this level. Chemical compounds are not mutations of chemicals, and copies of chemical compounds which deviate from the original are also not mutations of chemicals, they are just different chemical compounds.

That is what a mutation is. A mutation in a life form is just a different arrangement of DNA, which itself is just a molecule.
    Mutations, as far as we know, only occur in self replicating systems like DNA, RNA and genes etc. They do not occur in chemicals by definition.
    DNA, RNA and genes are chemicals. They are chemical molecules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

monosharp wrote: »
    I should have expanded on that. I meant to say if they were punished for acting out on those views. Say for example there was a law which banned public displays of hatred for homosexuals. If Fred Phelps and his gang broke this law and were punished, are they been punished for been Christian ?
    Mostly, I'm in support of First Amendment type laws on free speech.

Edit: It would depend what you are defining as hatred here. It's a rather thin line.
    And again, I think your missing my point. Abortion is legal in China. Speaking out against the government is (wrongly) illegal in China. Hence, speaking out against abortion is a crime.

Indeed, it is a crime in spite of human rights standards which affirm the free speech of individuals.
    This is not anti-religious, this is not anti-Christianity. You have atheists, Buddhists etc who believe abortion is right and abortion is wrong. When they get punished for speaking out against the government is it because of their religion ?

Ultimately the Chinese government is anti-religion.
    Just because a government policy X also happens to be against religious belief Y does not mean that the government is against that religion. It doesn't mean the people are been persecuted for that religion. It means people are been persecuted for that particular stance.

This and other reasons certainly do show that the Chinese government is anti-religion. Let's leave that aside though, as this is clearly based on your own anti-religion agenda.
    Just curious about the legal red tape.

For example, do you think it's right that the Church of Scientology are denied tax-free status in many countries ? Is that persecution of religion ?

If they are making a profit and running their faith as a business, I think they should be taxed. I'd apply this to televangelists or any church which runs as a business.

As for non-profits, I don't believe these should be taxed at all.
    Jakkass, this is an issue in every aspect of Chinese society, not just the Church. China has strict propaganda regarding it's place in the world. This is not a religious issue, it is a political one.

The problem is that the political motivation comes from their faith. I.E - They cannot be separated.
    Then answer my question and prove me wrong and give me links.

I've done so throughout this thread, but I realise that I am arguing against an ideologue.

Two points;

1. I didn't say it was. I simply explained their reasoning behind it.
    2. How drastic of a problem would over-population have to become before you'd accept that a level of control would have to be forced on a population regarding the number of children ? Say that the worlds population tripled or more and we simply couldn't produce enough food.

Nobody asked you to explain the Chinese government position or to be their almost-apologist on this thread. Surely all that needs to be said is that it is grossly out of order what they are doing?
    You haven't demonstrated in your posts what exactly the difference is between the registered and non-registered churches. I have also corrected a lot of PDN's post and provided links to prove such corrections. He provided none, yet you still believe him ?

Given your track record, and given PDN's. I certainly trust PDN over you.
    Oh ? And what about the daily prayers ? "Excuse me teacher I have to go bow to mecca a few times because it's that time".

I'm not going to indulge your complaints about South Korea. If you wish to do that there's plenty of room on the Humanities forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Jakkass wrote: »
    Mostly, I'm in support of First Amendment type laws on free speech.

Edit: It would depend what you are defining as hatred here. It's a rather thin line.

Jakkass I think your missing my point. I am not asking you if you agree or disagree with the law or the punishment. I am asking you would it be accurate to say Fred was been persecuted because he is a Christian if he was arrested for it.

You make the connection so easily between doing or saying X (Abortion is wrong) to it being persecution of Christianity to have a law against it.

The law was not set up to persecute Christianity and plainly enough acceptance of abortion for example is not considered to be against Christian teaching by many Christians.

My point is that this is not a religious issue, it is a political issue, a democracy issue, a free speech issue, a civil liberties issue.

It's not religious persecution because that law has nothing to do with religion whatsoever. It doesn't care what the beliefs of the offender is anymore than a law against drunk driving would care if the offender was a Christian after a cup of wine at church.

Of course it is wrong, we completely agree here. But it is not religious persecution.
    Indeed, it is a crime in spite of human rights standards which affirm the free speech of individuals.

Absolutely, completely agree.
    Ultimately the Chinese government is anti-religion.

And your missing the point again. The Chinese government are not anti-religion, they are anti-any organisation which may lead to civil disobedience. Religion is just a small part of it. Religion is only cared about for its usefulness or it's detrimental effects on the population.

For example the government are currently funding a lot of Buddhist temples etc, promoting an image of China they think is beneficial for the world to see. They are also sticking funding into the state sanctioned churches for the same reason.

But do they care about religion for religions sake ? of course now.
    This and other reasons certainly do show that the Chinese government is anti-religion. Let's leave that aside though, as this is clearly based on your own anti-religion agenda.

I think we're having a serious communication problem here. I agree with you. But to say they are anti-religion does not bring across the correct situation at all. They are anti-any organisation which could be responsible for civil disobedience. Religion is just a small part of it.

To say they are anti-religion is to say they are against religion for religions sake, which they certainly aren't. They are very pro-religion when it suits their purpose.
    The problem is that the political motivation comes from their faith. I.E - They cannot be separated.

Their political motivation comes from Christianity ? I've lost you.
    Nobody asked you to explain the Chinese government position or to be their almost-apologist on this thread. Surely all that needs to be said is that it is grossly out of order what they are doing?

And what is wrong with explaining the details of the situation ? What is wrong with explaining that these state sanctioned churches are not just stooges for the government ?
    Given your track record, and given PDN's. I certainly trust PDN over you.

1 What track record ? Please show me where I have ever lied on this forum.

2 I caught PDN out on a lie which I will quote again;
    PDN wrote:
    The Chinese government also spreads the lie that their State-run churches are sufficient to meet the needs of all the Christians in China and that there is no need for more churches. So no more churches are going to be registered, even if they were willing to abandon their Christian principles and become the mouthpieces of the Communists.

One Chinese Christian website;
    http://www.amitynewsservice.org/page.php?page=1150
    Is the church growing? Yes. Though the percentage of new believers varies quite a bit from one area to another, growth is occurring and in some areas the rate is very high. In addition, new churches are constantly being organized and built.

And yet you still believe him ? Even with the evidence right there in front of your eyes ? :confused: I mean, you can google yourself and see that I'm telling the truth
    I'm not going to indulge your complaints about South Korea. If you wish to do that there's plenty of room on the Humanities forum.

Priceless.

Unfair laws against Christians in China and your immediately behind them believing everything your told without a single piece of evidence.

Christians persecuting other religions in other parts of the world and you just reject them straight off the bat.

Jakkass I think your missing my point. I am not asking you if you agree or disagree with the law or the punishment. I am asking you would it be accurate to say Fred was been persecuted because he is a Christian if he was arrested for it.

There is a difference between the situation you are describing. Abortion is wrong in mainstream Christianity, preaching hatred isn't warranted in mainstream Christianity.

Although, I would be more inclined to permit demonstrations rather than deem them illegal personally. It is only by allowing people to voice their views that you can adequately challenge them.
    You make the connection so easily between doing or saying X (Abortion is wrong) to it being persecution of Christianity to have a law against it.

Prohibiting this is in effect prohibiting mainstream practice of Christianity. It seems as if you are justifying this law at this point admittedly.
    The law was not set up to persecute Christianity and plainly enough acceptance of abortion for example is not considered to be against Christian teaching by many Christians.

The Chinese government persecute Christians as a result, and other groups who wish to speak freely. I'm quite aware that other religious groups are also persecuted, and I think this is just as wrong.
    My point is that this is not a religious issue, it is a political issue, a democracy issue, a free speech issue, a civil liberties issue.

It certainly is a civil liberties, democracy, free speech issue, that's about as much as I agree with you on. It also results in the persecution of Christianity and other faiths.
    It's not religious persecution because that law has nothing to do with religion whatsoever. It doesn't care what the beliefs of the offender is anymore than a law against drunk driving would care if the offender was a Christian after a cup of wine at church.

Both laws are not equally valid. These comparisons as such as invalid.
    Of course it is wrong, we completely agree here. But it is not religious persecution.

I'm afraid I disagree.

The rest of the post pretty much is going around in circles, so I've cut out sections to shorten it.

Their political motivation comes from Christianity ? I've lost you.

Opposition to abortion & one child policy comes from Christianity.
    1 What track record ? Please show me where I have ever lied on this forum.

2 I caught PDN out on a lie which I will quote again;

1. Fanny Craddock has outlined at least one case of your hostility to Christianity on this forum. It's clear that this is your agenda. Trying to equate state based persecution with a Christian university in South Korea remaining Christian in ethos is one such distortion that I've seen on this thread alone.

I trust PDN more given his experience there. I suppose part of it comes from the fact that I've heard PDN talk about this in person (he's an absolute gent by the way :)) before as well.

One Chinese Christian website;
    http://www.amitynewsservice.org/page.php?page=1150
    Is the church growing? Yes. Though the percentage of new believers varies quite a bit from one area to another, growth is occurring and in some areas the rate is very high. In addition, new churches are constantly being organized and built.

Em. This isn't PDN lying I'm afraid. The church can be growing without Chinese Government assistance.
    And yet you still believe him ? Even with the evidence right there in front of your eyes ? :confused: I mean, you can google yourself and see that I'm telling the truth

Yes, I believe him all the more because your evidence is insufficient.
    Priceless.

Unfair laws against Christians in China and your immediately behind them believing everything your told without a single piece of evidence.

Christians persecuting other religions in other parts of the world and you just reject them straight off the bat.

It isn't persecution in the slightest in the latter case, as you have the free choice not to go to a Christian university. If you are born in China, you don't really have the free choice to leave in every case given financial pressure and general visa restrictions.

• Advertisement

Guys there has to be a better thread to discuss Christianity in China than the evolution/creationism thread :P

Wicknight wrote: »
    Guys there has to be a better thread to discuss Christianity in China than the evolution/creationism thread :P

Look, all the junk tends to go in here. Who are you to say where it can go? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Both laws are not equally valid. These comparisons as such as invalid.

Why are they not equally valid ?

Is it not a persecution of Christian rights if a catholic gets caught for drink driving after taking communion ?
    Opposition to abortion & one child policy comes from Christianity.

No it certainly doesn't. People of any faith can be against those things.

Do you think Buddhists for example want only 1 child by default ?
    1. Fanny Craddock has outlined at least one case of your hostility to Christianity on this forum. It's clear that this is your agenda. Trying to equate state based persecution with a Christian university in South Korea remaining Christian in ethos is one such distortion that I've seen on this thread alone.

Trying to equate two things means I am untrustworthy even when I provide evidence ?
    I trust PDN more given his experience there. I suppose part of it comes from the fact that I've heard PDN talk about this in person (he's an absolute gent by the way ) before as well.

I live in Asia permanently and have done for years. I regularly visited parts of China sometimes for several months at a time and I am friends with dozens of Chinese here.
    Em. This isn't PDN lying I'm afraid. The church can be growing without Chinese Government assistance.

Jakkass are you purposely pretending to misunderstand this ?

PDN said the Chinese government lie that there is no more need for more churches in China because there are enough churches for the amount of Christians.

I just linked you to a government sanctioned church website saying the exact opposite.

Neither of us said anything about government assistance.

He lied about what the Chinese authorities are saying.
    Yes, I believe him all the more because your evidence is insufficient.

My evidence from and link to a government sanctioned church website is insufficient to dispute PDN's claim about what government sanctioned churches say ? :confused: Really ?

Are you honestly saying that ?

Look, all the junk tends to go in here. Who are you to say where it can go? :pac:

the black hole of boards.ie ... you cannot escape!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

OK, then what are the most basic living systems? We don't know if DNA evolved from a simpler state but even if we conceded that it did, - say it evolved from RNA or something - then we must explain how RNA could have naturally formed by the simple laws of chemistry working on basic chemicals, as Wick seems to be suggesting.

In any case what we seem to have departed from is how we are suppose to apply Darwinian principles i.e. natural selection acting on random mutations at this level. Chemical compounds are not mutations of chemicals, and copies of chemical compounds which deviate from the original are also not mutations of chemicals, they are just different chemical compounds. Mutations, as far as we know, only occur in self replicating systems like DNA, RNA and genes etc. They do not occur in chemicals by definition. So if we cannot define life as a self replicating system then at what level can we start to define a system as having life i.e. living?

This was addressed in my last message:http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67964555#post67964555
    Morbert wrote:
    Natural selection can go to work as soon as we have a autocatalysis. I.e. It operates as soon as an autocatalytic system spontaneously emerges. And the chances of such a system emerging could be high enough for them to easily emerge naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

You have stated a number of times that chemicals cannot evolve by the process of Darwinian evolution and you have used this as the basis for the assertion that there must have been an intelligence acting upon these chemicals to get to them to the point of early life.

That is deeply ignorant and inaccurate. It is the equivalent of saying that Neptune cannot have an atmosphere because aerodynamics only applies to things on Earth.

For starters I said no such thing.

Premise 1:

Darwinian principles is a process whereby Natural Selection acts on random mutations using the environment as a feedback systems so that traits which are better suited to that particular environment will continue and others which are not as well suited will not get used and hence become obsolete and fade away over time.

Premise 2:

Chemicals don't mutate i.e make bad copies of themselves.

Conclusion:

Darwinian principles cannot be applied to them as a mechanism to explain how they found a way to configure themselves into the self replicating molecules which become the information processing constituents of the cells in living things. Information which instructs the cell's nano machines to do one thing and other nano machines to do other things i.e. encode, decode, transport and execute the information in the instruction contained in the molecule.

So if its highly improbable that chance played a part in this process and we know from our everyday experience that intelligent agents are capable of producing such effects, effects like the information processing that goes on in the cell, then by default Intelligent Design becomes the better of the two explanations for how life must have arisen on this planet even if we cannot identify who the designer actually is.

To say that ID is not a scientific theory because it cannot identify the designer is like saying that the theory that intelligent design must have been involved in the making of arrow-heads and cuttings tools found on archaeological sites is not a good explantion for how they were formed, because they cannot identify who the designers actually were. Its absurd in the extreme.
    Correct, in fact Darwinian principles only apply to self replicating systems, so that much is redundant. Darwinian evolution is a description of how self replicating systems can evolve.

And that as I've said time and again, I've no problem with it, its the mechanism which produced the first self replicating system that I want to know about.
    Your mistake is thinking that it only applies to life. It doesn't, it can apply to any self replicating system, including chemicals.

And again I will ask this. If all self replicating systems cannot be defined as living system then tell me what defines a living system?
    No, that would be stupid. A self replicating genetic algorithm isn't alive in any biological sense. Neither is a self replicating molecule.

OK, so when does something become a living thing?
    Rather than trying to back track by defining any self replicating system as "alive" a far easier route would be to simply admit now Darwinian principles can be applied to non-living systems, a claim you originally refuted.

My you are slippery aren't you? For the umpteenth time. Mobert and I (for the sake of argument in this part of the discussion) had agree to define life as any self replicating system. I then went onto say that Darwinian principles cannot be applied to anyhting that comes before living systems, living systems been stipulated to mean any self replicating system. Then you come along and say that not all self replicating systems can be defined as living systems so Darwinian principles can be applied to non-living systems. Well of course they can if you change the definition of what a living system is. Now I'm asking you to define what a living system is if it cannot be defined as a self replicating system. But I will now say that before any self replicating system can arise (be they living or not) they will be made up of basic chemicals, and basic compounds of basic chemicals, and as already pointed out above chemicals don't mutate or make bad copies of themselves hence Darwinian principles cannot be applied to them.

Comprenda???
    What? I just said life was a self replicating system, but not the only one. Your response is to proclaim we can't say life is self replicating system? What?

Read over all the posts again and you'll be able to follow the discussion better and know exactly where we are in this thread and how we got to this point. Me thinks you interjected too soon and inferred meaning into things I said that just aren't true.
    I'm aware of that. Perhaps in future it is better not to proclaim something is impossible without understanding it.

Giving the odds of it occurring by chance its not far from impossible. 1 chance in 10^130 is roughly the number of particles in our galaxy. Imagine that all the particles in our galaxy were red and one was white and you set off to find Mr White, the chances that you would find Mr White is 1 chance in 10^130, i.e it would take you a very long time indeed, but you also have to add in that you are not even looking for Mr White to begin with so you would have to just happen upon it and the chances of that happening are vanishingly small as to be impossible. For the first self replicating system to have come about by chance is so vastly improbable that by the time it would happen by chance alone our sun would cease to be a main sequence star rendering life on earth impossible to arise given that it would need the sun burning in the main sequence in order to support life.
    RNA occurs naturally.

Yeah, in the lab under conditions designed to produce it. But the primordial earth did not know what to produce which means that the constituent parts that go to make up RNA need a mechanism to explain its fomration. Saying it just occurs naturally is as much a cop out as me saying that God did it.
    DNA isn't the most basic configuration. It is estimated DNA appeared a 600 million years of evolution. RNA or something like it is considered the initial molecule.

We still don't have a mechanism that can explain how RNA could have come about from the random collision of its basic chemical constituents in the primordial soup. i.e. just the right base chemicals coming together to form amino acids, and just the right sequence of these amino acids a chain length to make up the proteins which are the basic building blocks of life, and then to have these proteins to form in just the right shape and be located in just the right location to make up the structure of the DNA and RNA molecules themselves and then for them to contain all the information needed to provide all the other constituent parts of the system with the instructions they need to carry out in order to have a proper functioning system.
    You do know there isn't a scientist alive (other than Creationists) who think DNA just formed?

Did I say that DNA just formed? I know that it is supposed to have evolved from a simpler state but nobody seems to be able to determine what that was. They seem to be going around in circles, because like J C said earlier, you need DNA to get DNA. Its a real chicken an egg scenario. Now considering what it does, i.e. stores instructions for cell development like the blue prints of a structure, IDers hold to the view that ID is a better explanation than chance because we know that intelligent agents are capable of producing information storage and processing systems like this and that chance alone is not capable of producing it.
    From 1 billion years of evolution. Think of the cell as the end result of this process (abiogensis) not the start. The start is a simple self replicating molecule.

And yet again, by what mechanism could the very first self replicating system have come about given that all that was around were chemical elements with no plan to produce such a thing?
    There isn't an unimaginable number of other possible combinations if you understand the basic laws of chemistry.

So the chemical components of DNA i.e. Phosphate, Deoxyribose, Cytosine and Thymine do not need to be arranged in a specific way on order to bring about proper function in the cell?
    It is like saying what are the odds of a rock falling down in a straight light when there is an infinite number of directions it could have fallen (ie up 30 degress, to the left 45 degrees)

No its not like saying that at all Wicknight, come on stop being silly. That's like saying that no matter what numbers I pick for the lotto they are bound to come out everytime I play it.
    Likewise there isn't an unimaginable number of possible combinations of these molecules if you understand which can form naturally and which can't.

Imagine I had a 10 combination lock and only one sequence of numbers will unlock it. The odds of DNA having the just the right sequence of these basic chemicals in the right place at the right time would be like me asking you to try to unlock my combination lock in one try,your chane are very slim, now multiply that by multiplied by many orders of magnitude when it come to billions of lines of code in DNA.
    Yes, exactly. Given enough time and enough space life is the inevitable conclusion of the basic lasws of chemistry

That sort of goes against what you said here see below quote for quick ref:
    Which is why the vast majority of the universe contains no life and conditions where life as we know it could not survive. There is 4.2 light years of cold vaccum between us and the next star where no life can survive, and that star system has no planets that could support life.

The vast vast vast vast vast vast vast majority of the universe cannot support life.

We are a fluke. The idea that the universe has been set up to support us, a tiny speck in the vast universe, is frankly retarded.

Retarded indeed. In one post you say that life is inevitable and in the other you say that it is a fluke. Which is it? :confused:
    Yes we do. That is what 95% of evolutionary biologists working this area are working on. What are the conditions that produce RNA. And a lot of progress has been made in this area in the last 15 years.

How can they replicate a fluke happening?
    That is what a mutation is. A mutation in a life form is just a different arrangement of DNA, which itself is just a molecule.

Which in most cases produces detrimental effects instead of beneficial effects.
    DNA, RNA and genes are chemicals. They are chemical molecules.

They are self replicating molecules made up of four different chemical components. So what mechanism can be applied to these components that can produce this effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

the black hole of boards.ie ... you cannot escape!!! :P

It's the nature of internet discussion boards I'm afraid.

A question was asked about the Bible (given that it is the Bible, Creation & Prophecy thread) and how someone would approach the Bible from the standpoint of reading it for the first time with no Christianised background to colour their opinions. I happened to know someone who fitted that description. Everything else on China in this thread since has been a monumental piece of dancing and evasion to try to discredit the fact that the guy approaching the Bible with a clean slate found it to be compelling and convincing.

Still, it's been fascinating from a psychological standpoint to see the lengths someone will go to avoid having to say, "Fair enough - you have a point there." :)

I swear I didn't Google this guy or anything. I came across him after just receiving an out of the blue text from a friend of mine to check out: www.darwinsdeadidea.com. So I did, then I Amazon'd his book, and then I Youtubed him and came across these:

His name is John J May and he is Irish and he has written a book entitled: 'The Origin of Specious Nonsense.' My friend who text me doesn't know I'm debating this topic on Boards so the relation between what this guys is saying and how it mirrors my own questions on the subject in this thread is very coincidental.

Anyway, J C you're gonna love this guy :)

Tears are still rolling down my face from laughing, I love his approach to the subject.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

I swear I didn't Google this guy or anything. I came across him after just receiving an out of the blue text from a friend of mine to check out: www.darwinsdeadidea.com. So I did, then I Amazon'd his book, and then I Youtubed him and came across these:

His name is John J May and he is Irish and he has written a book entitled: 'The Origin of Specious Nonsense.' My friend who text me doesn't know I'm debating this topic on Boards so the relation between what this guys is saying and how it mirrors my own questions on the subject in this thread is very coincidental.

Anyway, J C you're gonna love this guy :)

Tears are still rolling down my face from laughing, I love his approach to the subject.. :D
    WHAT are the chances???
    Chance would be a fine thing!!!!

He isn't a religious believer or a Creation Scientist ... but I suppose you can't have everything!!!

It took an ordinary Dub to cut through the baloney ... and show what Evolution is!!!!

I especially like his 'Wildesque' description of Evolutionists as believers in "the highly improbable foisting the impossible on the impressionable.":)

BTW ... one of those videos makes me feel distinctly 'shortchanged' by what passed for sex-ed when I was at school!!! :eek:

Premise 1:

Darwinian principles is a process whereby Natural Selection acts on random mutations using the environment as a feedback systems so that traits which are better suited to that particular environment will continue and others which are not as well suited will not get used and hence become obsolete and fade away over time.

Premise 2:

Conclusion:

Darwinian principles cannot be applied to them as a mechanism to explain how they found a way to configure themselves into the self replicating molecules which become the information processing constituents of the cells in living things. Information which instructs the cell's nano machines to do one thing and other nano machines to do other things i.e. encode, decode, transport and execute the information in the instruction contained in the molecule.

So if its highly improbable that chance played a part in this process and we know from our everyday experience that intelligent agents are capable of producing such effects, effects like the information processing that goes on in the cell, then by default Intelligent Design becomes the better of the two explanations for how life must have arisen on this planet even if we cannot identify who the designer actually is.

To say that ID is not a scientific theory because it cannot identify the designer is like saying that the theory that intelligent design must have been involved in the making of arrow-heads and cuttings tools found on archaeological sites is not a good explantion for how they were formed, because they cannot identify who the designers actually were. Its absurd in the extreme.

And that as I've said time and again, I've no problem with it, its the mechanism which produced the first self replicating system that I want to know about.

And again I will ask this. If all self replicating systems cannot be defined as living system then tell me what defines a living system?

OK, so when does something become a living thing?

My you are slippery aren't you? For the umpteenth time. Mobert and I (for the sake of argument in this part of the discussion) had agree to define life as any self replicating system. I then went onto say that Darwinian principles cannot be applied to anyhting that comes before living systems, living systems been stipulated to mean any self replicating system. Then you come along and say that not all self replicating systems can be defined as living systems so Darwinian principles can be applied to non-living systems. Well of course they can if you change the definition of what a living system is. Now I'm asking you to define what a living system is if it cannot be defined as a self replicating system. But I will now say that before any self replicating system can arise (be they living or not) they will be made up of basic chemicals, and basic compounds of basic chemicals, and as already pointed out above chemicals don't mutate or make bad copies of themselves hence Darwinian principles cannot be applied to them.

Comprenda???

Read over all the posts again and you'll be able to follow the discussion better and know exactly where we are in this thread and how we got to this point. Me thinks you interjected too soon and inferred meaning into things I said that just aren't true.

Giving the odds of it occurring by chance its not far from impossible. 1 chance in 10^130 is roughly the number of particles in our galaxy. Imagine that all the particles in our galaxy were red and one was white and you set off to find Mr White, the chances that you would find Mr White is 1 chance in 10^130, i.e it would take you a very long time indeed, but you also have to add in that you are not even looking for Mr White to begin with so you would have to just happen upon it and the chances of that happening are vanishingly small as to be impossible. For the first self replicating system to have come about by chance is so vastly improbable that by the time it would happen by chance alone our sun would cease to be a main sequence star rendering life on earth impossible to arise given that it would need the sun burning in the main sequence in order to support life.

Yeah, in the lab under conditions designed to produce it. But the primordial earth did not know what to produce which means that the constituent parts that go to make up RNA need a mechanism to explain its fomration. Saying it just occurs naturally is as much a cop out as me saying that God did it.

We still don't have a mechanism that can explain how RNA could have come about from the random collision of its basic chemical constituents in the primordial soup. i.e. just the right base chemicals coming together to form amino acids, and just the right sequence of these amino acids a chain length to make up the proteins which are the basic building blocks of life, and then to have these proteins to form in just the right shape and be located in just the right location to make up the structure of the DNA and RNA molecules themselves and then for them to contain all the information needed to provide all the other constituent parts of the system with the instructions they need to carry out in order to have a proper functioning system.

Did I say that DNA just formed? I know that it is supposed to have evolved from a simpler state but nobody seems to be able to determine what that was. They seem to be going around in circles, because like J C said earlier, you need DNA to get DNA. Its a real chicken an egg scenario. Now considering what it does, i.e. stores instructions for cell development like the blue prints of a structure, IDers hold to the view that ID is a better explanation than chance because we know that intelligent agents are capable of producing information storage and processing systems like this and that chance alone is not capable of producing it.

And yet again, by what mechanism could the very first self replicating system have come about given that all that was around were chemical elements with no plan to produce such a thing?

So the chemical components of DNA i.e. Phosphate, Deoxyribose, Cytosine and Thymine do not need to be arranged in a specific way on order to bring about proper function in the cell?

No its not like saying that at all Wicknight, come on stop being silly. That's like saying that no matter what numbers I pick for the lotto they are bound to come out everytime I play it.

Imagine I had a 10 combination lock and only one sequence of numbers will unlock it. The odds of DNA having the just the right sequence of these basic chemicals in the right place at the right time would be like me asking you to try to unlock my combination lock in one try,your chane are very slim, now multiply that by multiplied by many orders of magnitude when it come to billions of lines of code in DNA.

That sort of goes against what you said here see below quote for quick ref:

Retarded indeed. In one post you say that life is inevitable and in the other you say that it is a fluke. Which is it? :confused:

How can they replicate a fluke happening?

Which in most cases produces detrimental effects instead of beneficial effects.

They are self replicating molecules made up of four different chemical components. So what mechanism can be applied to these components that can produce this effect?

You're still making a meal of this. We all agree that there is some level of chance involved in going from a set of chemicals to a self-replicating configuration of chemicals. We were so close to breaking new ground, and discussing what those primitive systems could have been when we backtracked.

Look, that number 10^130 has absolutely nothing to do with abiogenesis. Nobody is claiming DNA emerged by chance. It is as irrelevant to investigating abiogenesis as JC's super-special definitions of transition fossils and information are to evolution and biological information. It is the equivalent of me starting a thread here arguing that Jesus couldn't possibly have forgiven us our sins because hampsters don't have the intelligence to forgive people? It is completely and utterly utterly utterly utterly irrelevant to the discussion.

So with your permission, I propose we actually move onto this new ground, where we will actually have a chance to discuss the science of the spontaneous development of self-replicating systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'm actually really enjoying the discussion between Soul Winner and Morbert. Down in front!

Morbert wrote: »
    You're still making a meal of this. We all agree that there is some level of chance involved in going from a set of chemicals to a self-replicating configuration of chemicals.

That is a very key statement and one that is overlooked all to easily in discussions like this. To say that chance plays any kind of role in the configuration of the chemical compounds that go to make up any kind of organic self replicating system is like saying that chance was involved in producing the very first computer operating system. The first Microsoft operating system (DOS) is very primitive when compared with what it has evolved into today i.e. Windows XP and Windows 7 etc.., but it still required the input of intelligent agents to compile it. And the hardware it was to run on also required the input of intelligence agents.

Now, in order for this software to work properly it must have all its lines of code in the proper sequence. If one line of code or even one character in one line of code is incorrect then the software will generate an error. And considering the billions of lines of code that go up to make 1 strand of DNA ,to say that it evolved as a means of trial and error is just begging the question. How can such a molecule have evolved to compile the code needed to provide proper function in cells which go to make up living systems when that desired outcome could not have been present without the input if an intelligence who desired that outcome? To say that billions of lines of code can evolve by itself in order to produce a functioning single celled organism is like saying that DOS will evolve into Windows 3.1 without the need to invoke the expertise of any software engineers.

The standard evolutionary concept states that natural selection acts on errors like this in living systems and has thus produced the complexity we see in nature using the conditions in the environment as a feedback system which dictates what traits are more and/or less beneficial for the survival of the organism in the process of its evolution. But when we look at what nature produces we see proper function and fully formed species which are completely adapted to their environments, species which supposedly descended from other species which were also perfectly adapted to their environments. It begs the question; how can errors and deviations from the original plan account for this kind of complexity and proper function and proper adaptation? But even it can be accounted for by means of the process of natural selection acting on these errors or mutations, then by what mechanism did the original blueprint or plan come together when one considers there was no desire to produce such an outcome in the first place? Or is the development of life like water overflowing from a bath where it finds its own level and have no discernible purpose or function? Life doesn't appear to be like that but if the theory that natural selection acting on random mutations is correct then this is the way life would look like, sloppy, malformed and unadapted.

Do chemicals need to adapt to their environment? Can these chemicals mutate? If chemicals do not need to adapt to their environments in order to survive and if they don't mutate then the principles of Darwinian Biological Evolution do not and cannot apply at this level. So in the absence of a similar mechanism that can be applied to chemicals at this level then chance played more than just a passing role in producing these effects if in fact there was no designing intelligence guiding it.

We were so close to breaking new ground, and discussing what those primitive systems could have been when we backtracked.

Shakes fist at Wicknight :mad:
    Look, that number 10^130 has absolutely nothing to do with abiogenesis. Nobody is claiming DNA emerged by chance.

I never suggested that DNA emerged by chance but if the process that started the whole process off was a chance happening of chemicals just coming together in just the right way and number and sequence to form the specific constituents that go up to make DNA (and RNA) then both DNA and RAN are descended from this initial chance happening. So even if we can show how DNA evolved from a simpler form, we still need to explain the mechanism that produced that effect and how DNA can evolve to contain the information that instructs cells what to become and how to function.
    It is as irrelevant to investigating abiogenesis as JC's super-special definitions of transition fossils and information are to evolution and biological information.

I disagree, I think its very relevant. If chance did not play a role or only played a small role, then how did it happen? If by simple natural means then what where they? If Darwinian principles are out then what was he mechanism? If necessity - as Wickinght suggests when he says that the basic laws of chemistry will eventually produce life given enough time - is not the cause, then what other options are left? There is only one other: Intelligent Design. And as we already know from our everyday experience that intelligent agents can bring out such effects then it is the best theory to explain it.
    It is the equivalent of me starting a thread here arguing that Jesus couldn't possibly have forgiven us our sins because hampsters don't have the intelligence to forgive people? It is completely and utterly utterly utterly utterly irrelevant to the discussion.

I've been talking about how the first self replicating system could have come about how is that irrelevant to this discussion?? :confused:
    So with your permission, I propose we actually move onto this new ground, where we will actually have a chance to discuss the science of the spontaneous development of self-replicating systems.

Fire away :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Premise 1:

Premise 2:

Just lurking on this interesting exchange, but I have to ask; exactly what you think a mutation is, if not simply a chemical copying errors.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Just lurking on this interesting exchange, but I have to ask; exactly what you think a mutation is, if not simply a chemical copying errors.

I'm using definitions posited in this thread by Morbert and Wicknight, do you have another definition?

EDIT: I apologize, I misread your post first time round. Let me re-answer: Chemicals cause mutations but the chemicals themselves do not mutate. So if you have an organic chemical composition like DNA that makes and error in replicating itself, then this is a mutation that can theoretically be acted on by natural selection to produce a variation in the life form, a variation which can be passed on to the next generation and son on. Now, before a chemical composition like this can arise in the first place, a mechanism needs to be identified to explain how it can do so.

Now we have a mechanism that can go some way in explaining the complexity in life's evolution from so called primitive forms on wards, but we don't have one for the process that explains how the basic chemicals themselves can come together to make up the chemical compositions known as DNA and RNA. Compositions which also happen to have built into them the instructions for producing all the complex structural designs we see in even the most basic of cellular life forms right up to the most advance complex designs, like that of the human brain.

So again I will ask, if Darwinian principles break down at this level, and if there was no intelligence involved, then by what mechanism did it all pick itself up by the bootstraps ?

There are only two other explanations:

Chance and Necessity, neither of which do we have any good evidence for and neither of which can be shown to produce such results in nature given just the basic elements to work with. So, for now at least, Intelligent Design is the best explanation because we know from our everyday experience that the application of intelligent deign is known to produce specific complexity (i.e. information processing systems), like what we see in the inner workings of even the most basic life forms, so until it can be shown otherwise, then ID will not only be a plausible explanation but the best explanation for how life was programmed into existence.

This is not pseudo science, this is the scientific method. We don't need to identify the designer in order to infer that design to place.

I'm using definitions posited in this thread by Morbert and Wicknight, do you have another definition?

Given that I have had to correct you twice already as to what a mutation is, that would seem unlikely.

• Advertisement

That is a very key statement and one that is overlooked all to easily in discussions like this. To say that chance plays any kind of role in the configuration of the chemical compounds that go to make up any kind of organic self replicating system is like saying that chance was involved in producing the very first computer operating system. The first Microsoft operating system (DOS) is very primitive when compared with what it has evolved into today i.e. Windows XP and Windows 7 etc.., but it still required the input of intelligent agents to compile it. And the hardware it was to run on also required the input of intelligence agents.

Now, in order for this software to work properly it must have all its lines of code in the proper sequence. If one line of code or even one character in one line of code is incorrect then the software will generate an error. And considering the billions of lines of code that go up to make 1 strand of DNA ,to say that it evolved as a means of trial and error is just begging the question. How can such a molecule have evolved to compile the code needed to provide proper function in cells which go to make up living systems when that desired outcome could not have been present without the input if an intelligence who desired that outcome? To say that billions of lines of code can evolve by itself in order to produce a functioning single celled organism is like saying that DOS will evolve into Windows 3.1 without the need to invoke the expertise of any software engineers.

The standard evolutionary concept states that natural selection acts on errors like this in living systems and has thus produced the complexity we see in nature using the conditions in the environment as a feedback system which dictates what traits are more and/or less beneficial for the survival of the organism in the process of its evolution. But when we look at what nature produces we see proper function and fully formed species which are completely adapted to their environments, species which supposedly descended from other species which were also perfectly adapted to their environments. It begs the question; how can errors and deviations from the original plan account for this kind of complexity and proper function and proper adaptation? But even it can be accounted for by means of the process of natural selection acting on these errors or mutations, then by what mechanism did the original blueprint or plan come together when one considers there was no desire to produce such an outcome in the first place? Or is the development of life like water overflowing from a bath where it finds its own level and have no discernible purpose or function? Life doesn't appear to be like that but if the theory that natural selection acting on random mutations is correct then this is the way life would look like, sloppy, malformed and unadapted.

Do chemicals need to adapt to their environment? Can these chemicals mutate? If chemicals do not need to adapt to their environments in order to survive and if they don't mutate then the principles of Darwinian Biological Evolution do not and cannot apply at this level. So in the absence of a similar mechanism that can be applied to chemicals at this level then chance played more than just a passing role in producing these effects if in fact there was no designing intelligence guiding it.

But ask yourself why scientists are not saying the hardware DOS is run on, let alone DOS itself, could develop by chance. The spontaneous generation of even a simple MOSFET is far too improbable. So instead, we have to look at the differences between the 'hardware' of biology (organic compounds), and the hardware of artificial computers (semiconductor material, plastic, etc.). When we do this, we will understand why natural abiogenesis is plausible for life, but not for standard computers. Organic chemicals are far more versatile when it comes to self-organisation than the materials we use to build things. They can naturally form complex ecosystems of interacting and communicating molecular species.

So before we begin, let's be clear that scientists are proposing that a spontaneous formation was necessary in the beginning, as chemicals per se do not evolve. The question we must therefore ask is what probabilities are associated with this spontaneous formation. If it as improbable as, say, the spontaneous generation of DNA, or MOSFETs for DOS programs, then abiogenesis will be considered implausible. If it is much much more probable, then abiogenesis is plausible.
    I never suggested that DNA emerged by chance but if the process that started the whole process off was a chance happening of chemicals just coming together in just the right way and number and sequence to form the specific constituents that go up to make DNA (and RNA) then both DNA and RAN are descended from this initial chance happening. So even if we can show how DNA evolved from a simpler form, we still need to explain the mechanism that produced that effect and how DNA can evolve to contain the information that instructs cells what to become and how to function.

There are two issues here. One issue is the development of self-replicating systems with high-fidelity, and the other is the development of the information stored by these systems to produce instruction sets for building cells and eyes and brains. For the time being, let's focus on the former. I.e. How self-replicating systems can form. Afterwards, we can talk about how natural selection can generate an increase in biological information, and thus generate complex lifeforms.
    I disagree, I think its very relevant. If chance did not play a role or only played a small role, then how did it happen? If by simple natural means then what where they? If Darwinian principles are out then what was he mechanism? If necessity - as Wickinght suggests when he says that the basic laws of chemistry will eventually produce life given enough time - is not the cause, then what other options are left? There is only one other: Intelligent Design. And as we already know from our everyday experience that intelligent agents can bring out such effects then it is the best theory to explain it.

I've been talking about how the first self replicating system could have come about how is that irrelevant to this discussion?? :confused:

Chance is relevant. I was referring to the calculations of the probabilities of certain nucleotide sequences forming by chance. I.e. No scientists is claiming life is as lucky as a 1 in 10^130 shot. If the spontaneous generation of the first self-replicating system was as probable as, say, 1 in 10^12 (and not 1 in 10^130), would you have the same objection to abiogenesis?
    Fire away :D

At this point, as we need to understand the laws of chemistry that determine what the chances of a self-replicating system forming are.

The first principle we must understand is autocatalysis. Autocatalysis occurs when the result (product) of a chemical reaction causes the reaction to speed up. I.e. A reaction increases the rate of itself. Or, in otherwords, a molecule instigates the further production of itself. This is a result of the laws of chemistry, and so is not a chance occurence in any meaningful sense of the word.

Now consider a set of autocatalytic chemicals in the same environment, with limited reactant resources. Some autocatalytic chemicals are better at sparking the production of themselves than others, then those chemicals will grow more numerous, and become more dominant. Autocatalysis will propagate. Autocatalysis on its own is not enough to be considered life, however, as autocatalyric cycles can't recognise information. I.e. They can't pass on information to their 'offspring' and natural selection can't choose which information should propagate and which shouldn't. For that, we need to turn to the non-enzyme self-replicating systems related to autocatalysis, which have been known since 1986 (in the form of a palindromic hexanucleotide sequence). Such systems heavily employ catalytic processes, and would constitute the "chance event" that must ocur for life to begin to emerge. Do you have any objections to this so far?

Given that I have had to correct you twice already as to what a mutation is, that would seem unlikely.

Just in case I took you up wrong can you:

1). Give a proper definition of what a mutation is.

And

2). Give an example of how they occur in chemicals and chemical compounds.

If you can do that, then we can apply the Darwinian principles of Natural Selection to them and thus have a plausible explanation for how they could have a evolved into the complex compounds that go into making up the RNA and DNA self replicating molecules which are responsible for storing, coding, decoding, transporting, replicating and executing the information needed to bring about proper function in the various components of a living organism.

Then if you can do that, please explain how matter is supposed to be able to retain the information needed in order to pass the genetic code to the next generation of life forms. How is chemical organic matter supposed to be able to build a system which produces a memory capability like this when under natural selection that desired (and needed) outcome could not be foreseen?

Just in case I took you up wrong can you:

1). Give a proper definition of what a mutation is.

And

2). Give an example of how they occur in chemicals and chemical compounds.
    I already have, you appear to just be ignoring what I write.

Anyway, lets try this again.

A "mutation" in the sense of biology is a change in the genetic code of a cell or a virus during replication.

In a more general sense (since you seem to be having a hard time differentiating between Darwinian evolution applied specifically to modern life and anything else), a mutation is the change in the structure of a replicating unit.

For example a genetic algorithm in a computer program mutates when it changes the algorithm during copying from memory locations. This is the general sense of Darwinian evolution, not the specific application to biological life since very few people would consider a computer program to be "alive"

In self replicating chemicals there is not a fixed structure. During replicating the structure of the molecule can be altered, since there are always different ways to arrange the atoms in a molecule. If this happens you can consider the molecule to have mutated, in that the child molecule is different to the parent molecule.

This is in fact what happens in DNA in modern life, so it should be of no surprise to you. There are different ways that the atoms in DNA (which is just a molecule) can be arranged.
    Then if you can do that, please explain how matter is supposed to be able to retain the information needed in order to pass the genetic code to the next generation of life forms.
    You say that as if something is actively trying to lose the information.

I think you have been reading way too much into Meyer's idea that this information in DNA is some sort of magical book or something.

Certain molecules cause other molecules to be produced. This is the "information". It is just chemistry.

You wouldn't go how does oxygen manage to keep the information that it can bond with 2 hydrogen atoms. That is just the way it is. This "information" is simply the consequence of the laws of chemistry.

Likewise with RNA or DNA. Certain DNA patterns produce certain molecules based on the laws of chemistry. Natural selection has selected those that produce these molecules becaues they provide an advantage. But nature isn't aware of this information, any more than it is aware that 2 hydrogen atoms will bond with 1 oxygen atom.
    How is chemical organic matter supposed to be able to build a system which produces a memory capability like this when under natural selection that desired (and needed) outcome could not be foreseen?

It is not a memory. It is just chemistry. When an oxygen atom bonds with 2 hydrogen atoms it doesn't remember it is supposed to do this. It just does it.

When a string of DNA produces a protein it is not remembering that this is what it is supposed to do. It just does it, based on the laws of chemistry, and it can't not do it. A certain pattern of DNA will produce a certain protein.

If that protein does something useful then the organism doesn't die. It is that simple. Nothing remembers "Ah this was useful, must remember to do that next time"

But ask yourself why scientists are not saying the hardware DOS is run on, let alone DOS itself, could develop by chance. The spontaneous generation of even a simple MOSFET is far too improbable. So instead, we have to look at the differences between the 'hardware' of biology (organic compounds), and the hardware of artificial computers (semiconductor material, plastic, etc.).
    So before we begin, let's be clear that scientists are proposing that a spontaneous formation was necessary in the beginning, as chemicals per se do not evolve. The question we must therefore ask is what probabilities are associated with this spontaneous formation. If it as improbable as, say, the spontaneous generation of DNA, or MOSFETs for DOS programs, then abiogenesis will be considered implausible. If it is much much more probable, then abiogenesis is plausible.
    Information is information ... and whether it is stored on a hard-drive, a paper page ... or in the DNA molecule, it cannot be produced by chance due to the specific complex nature of it's encoding.

Chance is relevant. I was referring to the calculations of the probabilities of certain nucleotide sequences forming by chance. I.e. No scientists is claiming life is as lucky as a 1 in 10^130 shot. If the spontaneous generation of the first self-replicating system was as probable as, say, 1 in 10^12 (and not 1 in 10^130), would you have the same objection to abiogenesis?
    ... you are plucking figures out of the air!!!

The chance of producing ONE 100 chain specific protein is 10^130 ... go figure the chance of producing even the simplest possible cell!!!

At this point, as we need to understand the laws of chemistry that determine what the chances of a self-replicating system forming are.
    There is no chance at all that it could ever lead to life ... Please look at the following video and especially from 2:45 onwards which cover this exact topic.
    Prof Dean Kenyon, Professor Emeritus of Biology at San Francisco State University is a former proponent of Chemical Evolution, just like you ... and the co-originator of the idea of 'biochemical pre-destination' ... however, he realised that he was wrong ... and was man enough to admit it!!!

... enjoy!!!

How many times must I try to save you further embarassment ... this really hurts me is because I too was like you ... an Evolutionist making a fool of myself about Evolution ...
    ... and it took me a full 10 years of denial before I woke up and confronted myself with the evidence ... and became a Creationist!!!!

... are you also man enough to face up to the evidence ... and follow in footsteps of 'giants' ... like Prof Dean Kenyon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

J C wrote: »
    Information is information ... and whether it is stored on a hard-drive, a paper page ... or in the DNA molecule, it cannot be produced by chance due to the specific complex nature of it's encoding.
    Completely missed the point there...
    ... you are plucking figures out of the air!!!

The chance of producing ONE 100 chain specific protein is 10^130 ... go figure the chance of producing even the simplest cell possible!!!
    Yes...but how often was this chance repeated? If this is the chance at any given nanosecond then it's practically a certainty that it would happen. If you flipped a coin every day for a thousand years, eventually it'd land on its side, no matter how small the odds are.

Completely missed the point there...

Yes...but how often was this chance repeated? If this is the chance at any given nanosecond then it's practically a certainty that it would happen. If you flipped a coin every day for a thousand years, eventually it'd land on its side, no matter how small the odds are.
    Maths obviously isn't your strong point!!
    There are only 10^26 nanoseconds in the 15 billion years supposedly since the Big Ban happened ... and there are only 10^82 electrons in the supposed 'Big Bag' Universe ... so if every electron in the universe produced a sequence every nano-second for 15 billion years only 10^109 sequences would be produced ... which is a long way short of 10^130!!!

Even an ordinary Dub, like John J May, has seen through Evolution, which he describes as “a fantasy of farraginous farcical fatuous feculent facile facetiousness"!!!

Anybody going to the book launch today in Buswells??

http://www.theoriginofspeciousnonsense.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

There are only 10^26 nanoseconds in the 15 billion years supposedly since the Big Ban happened ... and there are only 10^82 electrons in the supposed 'Big Bag' Universe ... so if every electron in the universe produced a sequence every nano-second for 15 billion years only 10^109 sequences would be produced ... which is a long way short of 10^130!!!

Acting like a decent human being obviously isn't your strong point. However, picking nanosecond was completely arbitrary, the face is that it could happen many many times on even one nanosecond, I'm just tired and couldn't be bothered explaining that.

Acting like a decent human being obviously isn't your strong point. However, picking nanosecond was completely arbitrary, the face is that it could happen many many times on even one nanosecond, I'm just tired and couldn't be bothered explaining that.
    I didn't mean to be personal ... but I do think that the reason why Evolution has become so established is because Biologists tend to be useless at Maths ... and Mathematicians tend to accept Evolution because Biologists tell them it is true.

However, picking nanosecond was completely arbitrary, the face is that it could happen many many times on even one nanosecond, I'm just tired and couldn't be bothered explaining that.
    I'm sure it was arbitrary ... but even if it were possible to have chemical reactions occurring faster than every nanosecond (and it's not) and even if every electron in the Big Bang Universe could produce a 100 chain protein (and they can't) and even if the universe was around for 15 billion years (and it isn't) ... you would need each electron producing a sequence 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 every nanosecond for 15 billion years ... to search out the sequence one specific functional protein.

• Advertisement

Even an ordinary Dub, like John J May, has seen through Evolution, which he describes as “a fantasy of farraginous farcical fatuous feculent facile facetiousness"!!!

Anybody going to the book launch today in Buswells??

http://www.theoriginofspeciousnonsense.com/

Name one evolutionary biologist who supposes a protein randomly formed.

The mechanics for making a protein evolved, just like everything else. You might as well work out what the odds of the heart muscle randomly forming is.

And considering you already accept evolution of small changes happens it should be no trouble to imagine the evolution of a protein from simpler molecules since that is just one molecule. If you accept a dinosaur can evolve into a rhino accepting a primitive precursor of a protein can evolve into a protein should be no trouble for you JC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement